Grinder

Chicago Area III

just returned to Chicago (from being somewhere else) to find yesterday was a lay day on the Verve. The S. Buoy reported the highest waves as being 13.5 and wind steady around 30 yesterday and are down to 7.2 and 21-ish now. The S. buoy is a "nice stretch of the legs" away from Chicago. Seems to be a bit more tame today from yesterday's oceanic-like conditions. It'd be good day to have a Sydney.

Wear a PFD. Good Luck. Enjoy.

A good day to be in Sydney.

Actually, upon looking at the day (from shore) it may have been better to have a bigass 155% to help plow through the waves. But what do I know.

just returned to Chicago (from being somewhere else) to find yesterday was a lay day on the Verve. The S. Buoy reported the highest waves as being 13.5 and wind steady around 30 yesterday and are down to 7.2 and 21-ish now. The S. buoy is a "nice stretch of the legs" away from Chicago. Seems to be a bit more tame today from yesterday's oceanic-like conditions. It'd be good day to have a Sydney.

Wear a PFD. Good Luck. Enjoy.

A good day to be in Sydney.

Actually, upon looking at the day (from shore) it may have been better to have a bigass 155% to help plow through the waves. But what do I know.

Down on the B course, the first race was light enough that a #2 seemed to be a good sail. The 2nd and third races the wind went up and switching to a #3 to drive around the waves rather than crash through them was nice.... this comes from a 30' boat, not a 46 footer.

The Chicago Area III thread on page 3 during the season? Participation is down even on SA! Party at CYC seemed pretty tame compared to past years. Thanks to the race committee on Circle B, they did a nice job all weekend.

Tri-State. What's the skinny? Who's going? Circus might need a few

Skidmarks will be doing the Bi-State.

Lou and I will be celebrating our birthday that weekend so everybody will have to stop by and bring each of us a drink.

Fun racing on Circle B this weekend. Friday was the funnest (

)...

Big props to the boys on the J/105 Here's Johnny. You guys sailed your ass off this weekend! Looking forward to the next time!

Cheers,

Chaos

Tri-State. What's the skinny? Who's going? Circus might need a few

Skidmarks will be doing the Bi-State.

Lou and I will be celebrating our birthday that weekend so everybody will have to stop by and bring each of us a drink.

Happy Birthday dudes! We'll be racing in Annapolis on the Mumm. Yeah!

Czar bar Saturday night. Collect your bday drinks there.

I am sure there will be some of that going on too based on last year.

Anyone have a bottom cleaner they reccomend for a 30' race... er... drinking boat in Montrose Harbor? Need to get the fuzz off the old circus tent before it goes on the road for the Try State.

Anyone have a bottom cleaner they reccomend for a 30' race... er... drinking boat in Montrose Harbor? Need to get the fuzz off the old circus tent before it goes on the road for the Try State.

Dave at have Tank Will Travel.com

He's well versed on 30' party boats

Patrick Siewers, yacht68@hotmail.com

Try the Uhl Brothers. they work hard and will even clean the topsides Both are students, sailors and racers, working for school cash. Ryan and Kyle - Set it up with Kyle at uhlkyle a t yahoo.com or or 847--990--0189

I know a guy who will probably not show up when he says he will. He specializes in half ass jobs and no shows. The quality of his work is second to last, and he can often be found a swimming away from your boat on little scuba diving adventures. If your extra lucky he will come out racing with you, and that's even more of a show.

Sounds like a boatyard I know of whose reputation is something along the lines of---although you cannot pay more, you can get better.

I know a guy who will probably not show up when he says he will. He specializes in half ass jobs and no shows. The quality of his work is second to last, and he can often be found a swimming away from your boat on little scuba diving adventures. If you're extra lucky he will come out racing with you, and that's even more of a show.

fucking awesome.

I know a guy who will probably not show up when he says he will. He specializes in half ass jobs and no shows. The quality of his work is second to last, and he can often be found a swimming away from your boat on little scuba diving adventures. If your extra lucky he will come out racing with you, and that's even more of a show.

Sounds like a boatyard I know of whose reputation is something along the lines of---although you cannot pay more, you can get better.

Know the place well. Still the same I see.

Know the place well. Still the same I see.

Some things do not change. Given your location, and mine, close to you, we might well be talking about the same plac.

What a blast yesterday! Swimming, floorboard wakeboarding, warm weather - and a couple of good spins around the cans once the weather filled in.

Fun times indeed.

https://reg.dojiggy....TA 08_21_12.pdf

Racing boats are few & far between for Saturday Leukemia Cup. I'll Be on Imedi with a few fellow anarchists.

Post race party is usually pretty good, yo.

From looking at the section break, if anyone finishes after you, before you get to the dock, they might beat you...closest boat you are giving like 150 seconds a mile...

But you are right, the Party at Columbia is great - pig roast, music, 312 beer and a Mt. Gay Rum pour,

https://reg.dojiggy....TA 08_21_12.pdf

Racing boats are few & far between for Saturday Leukemia Cup. I'll Be on Imedi with a few fellow anarchists.

Post race party is usually pretty good, yo.

From looking at the section break, if anyone finishes after you, before you get to the dock, they might beat you...closest boat you are giving like 150 seconds a mile...

But you are right, the Party at Columbia is great - pig roast, music, 312 beer and a Mt. Gay Rum pour,

IF they can see you they have beaten you.

CIRCUS will happily be doing the Tri-State, even though we invented the Bi-state, with the help of Farr 40 Gravitas/Sea Hawk. Praying for wind, but not too much.

The following is opinion not fact, further qualified by the fact that I am no longer pushing my own program nor making the decisions for a race boat.

I believe that in AREA III racing and Chicago in general, our race committees and the local PROs have become so gun shy with respect to a little weather that a significant number of race days are being lost or will be lost in the future. Let us contrast the decision made for Friday of the Verve and that made yesterday for Area III. The Verve Friday was predicted to be Gale Force winds and very high seas and the fleet was still in the harbor. In fact on that Friday morning we woke up to the prediction and it was clear that it was unlikely that mark boats would even be able to manage in a seaman like way. Yesterday, the fleet was out, there was a lot of rain headed our way but neither the prediction or the radar showed any substantial winds that risked safety of any offshore boat.

Just as importantly how are people going to learn to manage some heavy weather unless they sail in it. When to reef, when to not put your spinnaker up. Even when to sail under jib alone. When to require PFDs etc. When to stop racing and start surviving. When to resume racing. If we cannot sail in 25k winds for a local bouy race how the hell are we going to manage a true squal line or Gale or Storm Force winds in an offshore race like the Mack or even Queen's cup or Chicago to St. Joe. We learn from experience and mistakes. Better to get that experience when we have the fleet around us.

My .02

Robin

The following is opinion not fact, further qualified by the fact that I am no longer pushing my own program nor making the decisions for a race boat.

I believe that in AREA III racing and Chicago in general, our race committees and the local PROs have become so gun shy with respect to a little weather that a significant number of race days are being lost or will be lost in the future. Let us contrast the decision made for Friday of the Verve and that made yesterday for Area III. The Verve Friday was predicted to be Gale Force winds and very high seas and the fleet was still in the harbor. In fact on that Friday morning we woke up to the prediction and it was clear that it was unlikely that mark boats would even be able to manage in a seaman like way. Yesterday, the fleet was out, there was a lot of rain headed our way but neither the prediction or the radar showed any substantial winds that risked safety of any offshore boat.

Just as importantly how are people going to learn to manage some heavy weather unless they sail in it. When to reef, when to not put your spinnaker up. Even when to sail under jib alone. When to require PFDs etc. When to stop racing and start surviving. When to resume racing. If we cannot sail in 25k winds for a local bouy race how the hell are we going to manage a true squal line or Gale or Storm Force winds in an offshore race like the Mack or even Queen's cup or Chicago to St. Joe. We learn from experience and mistakes. Better to get that experience when we have the fleet around us.

My .02

Robin

We had a fine day down on the south course. A bit of rain, but nothing nasty. Wind was pretty steady SW, maybe mid teens at worst. Two lovely races.

Come and join us for the MORF Open... nothing else going on that weekend, and the sailing is usually wonderful that time of year.

I cannot comment on the weather yesterday as I was not in the local, but I agree with your post. And in NO WAY am I opening the door on the Wingnuts discussion, but it is as simple as this to me: If a boat and her crew (such as Wingnuts) had spent a day going around the cans in 25 knots, it is possible that different decisions would have been made.

Yes, it is important to race in adverse conditions. A significant portion of the fleet have never reefed, put up a storm jib or gone hovetwo. Hell, there are a fair amount of people reading this that don't know what the hell I just referenced. The fact that weekend racing has resulted in windward leeward back to the bar racing has had a negative affect on the saftey of sailing. This seems to have been lost and omitted in each of the reviews of fatal incidents'. Someone needs to remind the RCs that on the days that they postpone or cancel for reasons of safety, there is an argument to be made to send the boats out for, reasons of safety.

My .02

Robin

Well said Robin

I agree Robin. Assess your abilities and know your limits and more so...know your crew's limits. Being a sailor or waterman implies all conditions, anytime, anywhere.

Absolutely correct!

Going out in less than optimal conditions makes one a competent sailor.

Knowing what to do and how to do it because you've tried it in (relatively) secure situations beats the hell out of trying to figure it out when the shit hits the fan.

Plus whatever, Robin. Well said. Also, pretty much the discussion I had yesterday with one of our RC at CYC.

Ok, now for something more fun. Beach volleyball! There is a prettier version of this that I attached to an email that I sent thru the LMSRF list.

Paula Bersie is running the games now. Alice and I are taking a rest from producing the volleyball games on the beach this year. We may sit by the pool and drink. Or, go swimming. Alice has been doing the volleyball games since before I met her 17 years ago. (We just had our 11th wedding anniversary on Sunday. Some of you were there. Robin, I still remember your words that day. Thank you.)

The Columbia Yacht Club Sail

Fleet presents the annual

Tri-state

Challenge

Join the fun…Play for rum

on the beach at St.Joe…

(just west of where the old club was)

Grab the crew or form your own team

Boat vs. boat with Mt. Gay to the winners

Saturday 2-5 (MICHIGAN TIME)

See y'all over there.

T

Ok, now for something more fun. Beach volleyball! There is a prettier version of this that I attached to an email that I sent thru the LMSRF list.

Paula Bersie is running the games now. Alice and I are taking a rest from producing the volleyball games on the beach this year. We may sit by the pool and drink. Or, go swimming. Alice has been doing the volleyball games since before I met her 17 years ago. (We just had our 11th wedding anniversary on Sunday. Some of you were there. Robin, I still remember your words that day. Thank you.)

The Columbia Yacht Club Sail

Fleet presents the annual

Tri-state

Challenge

Join the fun…Play for rum

on the beach at St.Joe…

(just west of where the old club was)

Grab the crew or form your own team

Boat vs. boat with Mt. Gay to the winners

Saturday 2-5 (MICHIGAN TIME)

See y'all over there.

T

11 years, time goes by too quickly. Congratulations.

Robin

My .02

Robin

In full disclosure toyou all I'm on the CYC RC. However I was not there on Sunday for the inshore Verve. I was on RC for the offshor Verve.

Robin and Sam I respect your opinions and you are entitled to voice them here.

There are many reasons to cancel/postpone/ abandan racing for a day.

1. Safety of the racers / RC / RC equipment / fleets

2. Experience of the RC and volunteers that day. ( Experience , age, time on the water, )

3. Weather forcast and information available to the RC.

4. Fleet captians - yes the fleet captians where part of the processes. ( Did you talk to your fleet captian before voicing your opinion?)

5. OA - Organizing Authority

All these variables are take in consideration before cancelling racing for the day.

I've yet to see most of you on this forum out volenteering on the water to help RC on regular basis. - Let me know if I'm wrong about this.

I got the snot knocked out of me on the Saturday of the offshore Verve on the signal boat - two of my crew ( Sr Flags - Flags ) are 80 and 73 years old respectivley.

We had 3 RC members sea sick hanging on - scoring finishes/ between yacking over the side - every single one showed up on Sunday to do their jobs - so you

would be able to race on Sunday to get the regatta in..

Come ther inshore Verve 2 weeks later and we're short on volunteers - imagine that. ( I skipped racing on the Etchells to help out RC on Saturday)

CYC - ran 3 safety boat classes this spring - two US Sailing Power Boating Classes - Safety at Sea - 1 US Sailing Advanced Racemanagement class.

Would you like me to start listing how many events the ( Chicago Area Yacht Clubs) run and days on the water that qualified RC volunteers are needed..

If you don't feel like we are providing good racing - please go join Dennis and run your own races with MORF - they're doing a great job - he tells us that all the time!

My rant is over - please come join your local race committee and give a little back to your sport.

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Tom Keegan

My .02

Robin

In full disclosure toyou all I'm on the CYC RC. However I was not there on Sunday for the inshore Verve. I was on RC for the offshor Verve.

2. Experience of the RC and volunteers that day. ( Experience , age, time on the water, )

4. Fleet captians - yes the fleet captians where part of the processes. ( Did you talk to your fleet captian before voicing your opinion?)

All these variables are take in consideration before cancelling racing for the day.

I've yet to see most of you on this forum out volenteering on the water to help RC on regular basis. - Let me know if I'm wrong about this.

I got the snot knocked out of me on the Saturday of the offshore Verve on the signal boat - two of my crew ( Sr Flags - Flags ) are 80 and 73 years old respectivley.

We had 3 RC members sea sick hanging on - scoring finishes/ between yacking over the side - every single one showed up on Sunday to do their jobs - so you

Come ther inshore Verve 2 weeks later and we're short on volunteers - imagine that. ( I skipped racing on the Etchells to help out RC on Saturday)

CYC - ran 3 safety boat classes this spring - two US Sailing Power Boating Classes - Safety at Sea - 1 US Sailing Advanced Racemanagement class.

Would you like me to start listing how many events the ( Chicago Area Yacht Clubs) run and days on the water that qualified RC volunteers are needed..

If you don't feel like we are providing good racing - please go join Dennis and run your own races with MORF - they're doing a great job - he tells us that all the time!

My rant is over - please come join your local race committee and give a little back to your sport.

Tom Keegan

I think Robin was comparing the Friday Verve abandonment (understandable in his explanation) with this Sunday's abandonment (confusing... to say the least) for the offshore racers who were out on the course and ready to race in a bit of breeze and rain (not Verve Inshore)... I could be wrong, though.

My .02

Robin

Tom Keegan

Please note that I was very careful not to speak to the inshore verve. Your Rant has nothing to do with the points that I made. That is simply that many of the "Offshore" decisions are overly conservative. At the time the decision was made we had completely flat water and less than 13 knots of breeze. There were no predictiions of heavy weather and there was nothing in the radar. I know because one of my responsibilities happens to be to watching the coming weather (including radar). There was a lot of rain coming but even in the reports within the weather line were not showing more than 15 to 18. My additional point was that if you do not sail in it you will not learn. If you cannot live with that too bad.

As for the "race committee" commitment I did mine a long time ago both in MORF and when I was a member of BPYC and I have done crash boats for one designs and will in the future when I quit racing. I simply posted an opinion and that opinion is mine and I stick by it.

I've yet to see most of you on this forum out volenteering on the water to help RC on regular basis. - Let me know if I'm wrong about this. - Probably not but there are a few that get out an volunteer on a regular basis. Myself, almost every weekend for Frostbite - Spring and Fall as well as CMRC events.

please come join your local race committee and give a little back to your sport. - Please do, hanging in a powerboat pulling marks, raising flags, and cheering on your fellow sailors can be quite the rewarding day on the water. GIve back to the sport that gives us plenty of fun. Another way to look at it is you loose the right to complain about RC work if you dont do RC work.

Tom Keegan - TGS

Still +1 to Robin

I've yet to see most of you on this forum out volenteering on the water to help RC on regular basis. - Let me know if I'm wrong about this. - Probably not but there are a few that get out an volunteer on a regular basis. Myself, almost every weekend for Frostbite - Spring and Fall as well as CMRC events.

please come join your local race committee and give a little back to your sport. - Please do, hanging in a powerboat pulling marks, raising flags, and cheering on your fellow sailors can be quite the rewarding day on the water. GIve back to the sport that gives us plenty of fun. Another way to look at it is you loose the right to complain about RC work if you dont do RC work.

Tom Keegan - TGS

Still +1 to Robin

Hi Tom,

While I appreciate all the hard work done by the RC Volunteers (especially, you), and I'm not one to beat up on or complain about much other than the most obvious of screw-ups, I strongly disagree with the comment:

"Another way to look at it is you lose the right to complain about RC work if you dont do RC work.

Since I actually pay for the races in which I participate, I most-definitely have a right to complain. I also think that anyone who is spending their time to participate in the sport has a right to complain, everyone's time is valuable, whether they volunteer for RC, running a campaign or crewing on someone else's boat.

With that said, it is one thing to bash those who work hard to try and do the right thing, and I think that is what we are all trying to avoid. There is a right way to complain and a wrong way, but if we want to keep the sport alive and growing, I think we should encourage feedback from all participants.

I appreciate the input Robin made the other day. I was one of the boats that left downtown early to get to Montrose, only to go check-in and have the plug pulled. As the day progressed, I quickly realized that we could have raced without much issue, but I respect the decision that was made, even though it was somewhat conservative.

Lou

"Another way to look at it is you lose the right to complain about RC work if you dont do RC work.

Lou

That was me speaking Lou, NOT Tom Keegan.

Lou

Oh. I see what U did there.

Is this just a Chicago (CYC area) thing lately, or are other clubs around the country afraid to hold races in 25 knots? Anyone know?

I may not be as old (aka: ancient) as some around here, but I damn well remember my younger days filled with 'many' races that started off in poring rain, 6ft to 8ft waves, and easily 25 knots. Can't say I was thrilled about it at the time - but it certainly gave me some long lasting experience. And guess what, nobody got hurt...

Have we all gotten that 'soft' that a mere 20+ knot day has us cowering under the companion way? I think not - ! -

No direct disrepect to the obviously hard working volunteer RC staff - but If your opinions are never voiced, your voices are never heard.

TFS

While I think that most everyone I know who races has thanked RC numerous times and/or spent time volunteering for RC themselves, I'll thank anyone and everyone who spends their free time once again. Thanks to those who do the job while most would rather be sailing/racing. Thanks.

Now, on a totally separate, unrelated note,

The input most are voicing here , and I believe Robin did a good job of echoing the sentiment a lot of racers (most?) feel , is that the plug is being pulled too soon and/or for reasons not quite justifiable on races which may not only be raced safely , but may also actually contribute to 'training' for events which RC has no ability to cancel (MAC and other offshore) .

Nobody is forcing a boat to race .

SA the place to correct such plug pullings? Doubt it. But I do agree with Robin's sentiment.

Now, who needs to hear/read this common sense approach to make sure we once again actually get to sail in winds which make a J105 reach hull speed?

First: I love everybody

Second: hind sight is 20/20, god burps another way and suddenly the call the RC made on Sunday is brilliant and Robin is blowing the RC right now.

Third: grinder sux

Right on Mongo!! I'll see you in St. Joe...I'm doing the Bi-State on a Moody 54 (Princess M)...first time doing an offshore race on a really nice cruiser!

ID

Lou

Oh. I see what U did there.

mmmmm, blue letters

ID,

Don't forget to pack that yellow Speedo of yours for the pool, beach and volleyball.

Right on Mongo!! I'll see you in St. Joe...I'm doing the Bi-State on a Moody 54 (Princess M)...first time doing an offshore race on a really nice cruiser!

ID

From good friend Jim Gignac:

I have read (as I usually do) the many comments regarding last weekend’s Kaz Cup.  I am asking Jim Calto to forward my comments since I am not a member of SA.  I do feel a little interjection to create a learning moment might be helpful here.  (These are my viewpoints strictly – not his).

While most of the comments like “conservative call”, “RC was Gun Shy”, etc.  were spot on, simply replace reference to Area III, CCYC, or even CYC and replace it with my name, Jim Gignac.  I was PRO Sunday, Abandonment was my call, not Area III, not CCYC, no one gave me direction to do so.  It is simple, all Area III does is provide a common, a one stop shop place to sign up for races run (organized) by more than ten clubs, and a common NOR and SI.  CCYC was the Organizing Authority, I volunteered to run Sunday’s race (a club obligation).  Me and my crew headed out with fairly high expectations.

I have run Area III races for more than ten years now – one a year, every year.  Otherwise, I am just a mortal racing sailor – just like all of you (Aguila – the Morgan 27, Dos Aguilas the J/105, and now Salsa, the J/130).  I often joke that I make far more mistakes on the deck of our boat every time we cross a starting line than the race committees running those races.

So what happened Sunday – I made a mistake.  I totally misinterpreted the weather I was seeing on my IPAD – and acted too rashly.  Yes, I made a human error, for that I felt bummed the rest of the day.  (Esp. because the last minute changes to the SSI’s were an idea I had to try a couple scenarios seeking quicker turn arounds with less sections starting, and to give that feedback to Area III).    As mentioned before, I have run Area III races for many years – I can only remember abandoning a race once – and that was on-shore (a good call at the time).  In fact- I had to look up the exact flag sequence to verify I had it right, and then had to tie the two flags together to make it happen.

My only rebuttal to the many comments are that looking at this year’s results, it does not look like any Area III races were abandoned to date – perhaps a record (there is at least one heavy or light air day by now).  I think we were fortunate with this year’s weather (unlike the farm community).  I can remember a couple years were 6 – 8 races were rightfully abandoned by now.

That is all – keep the comments coming – but don’t bash Area III as if it is a Yacht Club or Race Committee – it is not.  It is a bit like snipe hunting – there is no wizard behind the curtain telling us what to and what not to do.  We make decisions – just like you, and sometimes they are wrong!  

Jim Gignac

ID,

Don't forget to pack that yellow Speedo of yours for the pool, beach and volleyball.

ID

I'm bringing the Rambler Gold speedo with the maroon stars, so you can't miss me...

ID

ID

ouch.

Thanks Jim, everyone makes mistakes. It is more than refreshing when someone admits it when it happens.

+1

i didn't even race in the event but it's still nice to hear when someone takes ownership the way jim did.

CIRCUS Rocks!! Congrats on the Chi-St. Joe victory!!!

Overall winner! Not sure how you guys/gals did on the leg to Michigan City, as we did the Bi-state.

All the best Grinder and The Other Mongo and crew!

ID

Looks like there was decent wind for the Chi-St Joe race and then again for the St Joe-Mich City race, they all finished in a bunch mid afternoon. And it looks like they've got something decent to work with again today going from Mich City-Chicago. Nice Tri-State races as the season comes to a close, vs some years with too much or too little...

Great weekend, breeze included. My only bitch for the weekend is directed at SJRYC: 1 porta-john on river raft side. C'mon man! 1!? Then someone shit all over it. Wtf? I know this is a huge fundraiser for the club, but give us a little help here. Give us 2/3 crappers please!

Jim Calto-CIRCUS.

+1.

It was also a very nice ride home from St. Joes on Sunday with 12-20 K East moving to NE winds and a bit of a wave action. Put up the spinney and let her breathe. Only issue was when to gybe.

Great weekend, breeze included. My only bitch for the weekend is directed at SJRYC: 1 porta-john on river raft side. C'mon man! 1!? Then someone shit all over it. Wtf? I know this is a huge fundraiser for the club, but give us a little help here. Give us 2/3 crappers please!

Jim Calto-CIRCUS.

The city dropped the ball on that one. The club pestered the hell outta em for more!

If anyone has any other likes/gripes about Leg 1, please send me a PM! We wanna do what we can to improve the race and fun!

Jim Calto-CIRCUS.

No shit! For those of us that finished at/before dawn there was no port o potty. They diddnt drop the damn thing off until 8am or so. WTF? I went up there in the evening to use it and almost vomited on top of the pile of shit. Thank god the hotel has a bathroom. That saved my pants.

What are the odds on tomorrow's race being cancelled?

My guess is pretty good chance it is canceled.

Also.....how many boats will make the trek north in those conditions even if they do hold a race?

Also....on the St Joe River....As I said in person....FUCK YOU..... to the boats who tell me we cant raft off of you (we were 4th in the raft).....FUCK YOU. You have no right to tell us or anyone else we are not welcome. I dont give a flying shit how big your boat is......or what you think.......if you dont want boats to raft....turn around and sail home after you finish.

If anyone ever says that to me again.....I will do as I did...raft anyway....then I will invite every fucking boat that comes by to raft off of us.

what boats?

Also....on the St Joe River....As I said in person....FUCK YOU..... to the boats who tell me we cant raft off of you (we were 4th in the raft).....FUCK YOU. You have no right to tell us or anyone else we are not welcome. I dont give a flying shit how big your boat is......or what you think.......if you dont want boats to raft....turn around and sail home after you finish.

If anyone ever says that to me again.....I will do as I did...raft anyway....then I will invite every fucking boat that comes by to raft off of us.

Shipping lane have anything to do with it?

It has everything to do with it...they run big freighters down the river channel and in years past the Coast Guard has come by and had a major coronary if the raft is anything more than 4-5 deep. When a 400 foot freighter comes through there and the raft is too wide for them to fit...something has to give.

Shipping lane have anything to do with it?

That may be part of it, but I believe there is another unspoken reason to the rafting issue.

Fact: We finished at 7:05 a.m. CST. Had to wait for a freight train (along with the awesome Circus), motored east past all the boats towards the street overpass, and found, around 7:40 at least 150 feet of unoccupied wall space;

We tied up to the wall, using our FENDER BOARD to protect against the corrugated steel.

Later in the day, after a nice nap in my air-conditioned forward berth, I went for a walk west and noticed only about 60% had fender boards. How do you do a Tri-state without a fender board?

If MT finished 3-4 hours before us, there must have been plenty of open wall space to the east.

Which leads me to believe that a few (or many) didn't bring or don't have a fender board and won't tie up onto the wall. And, they count on rafting off so not to be the inside boat (and not have to deal with the late night feet noise topsides).

My 2 cents, after 33 years of racing and being first on the wall a gazillion times.

ID

This was my 25th tri state. We are well aware of the freighters. If we are rafted with 20 feet of clearance of the pilings we have more than enough clearance for the freighter traffic. We carry two fender boards for the tri state in the event we NEED to raft off the wall and have many times. There is no reason for those boats inside of us to be assholes about rafting up.

This was my 25th tri state. We are well aware of the freighters. If we are rafted with 20 feet of clearance of the pilings we have more than enough clearance for the freighter traffic. We carry two fender boards for the tri state in the event we NEED to raft off the wall and have many times. There is no reason for those boats inside of us to be assholes about rafting up.

I understand your bitch, but why not motor further east and tie off of the wall? Why be 4th boat out when you can be on the wall?

What happened on the race course today?

Sheldon Clark?

I understand your bitch, but why not motor further east and tie off of the wall? Why be 4th boat out when you can be on the wall?

Because then people would want to raft off of him... and he wouldn't want that...

Because then people would want to raft off of him... and he wouldn't want that...

Hi all - I was on shore all weekend ( ask the other Mongo) - waiting for updates from Robin & and Lazy Guy ( Dennis) how their boats dId in moderate ( 15 - 22 ) knots breeze this weekend.

Heard the RC was great and ran a lot a good courses for all the racers! How'd you'd you guys do this weekend?