Grinder

Chicago Area III

I have been critical of RCs that do not hold races when the wind is blowing, so in fairness I have to give credit where credit is due when the RC does hold a race when the wind is up. Though I was not in Chicago this past weekend I understand the RC did steller job in getting a number of races off. NICE...

And I confess, all it take is a day of racing with an RC that has no clue to make me/one appreciate a good RC.

Gangbusters:

Great having you on board & nice meeting you! Thanks for all the hard work,

Jim.

(null)

F40 - Pre Worlds Friday and Saturday

Worlds Start Monday and go on until Thursday -

Boat are docked down at Monroe Station - CYC

T... are you on the RC for this event?

Day 1, Farr 40 pre-Worlds are done. Got 3 races in. Report is that Barking Mad was fast, fast, fast. Hard to tell as the fleet was flying a mixed bag of sails. New stuff, old stuff, etc. Flash Gordon is in 3rd, 1 point out of 2nd.

Results:http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=707.

PRO is concerned that weather report for Sat is for really light winds.

T... are you on the RC for this event?

Yes

Now that Matt Forte signed the big contract, what's the over/under on when he gets a major injury?

Go Patriots!

Chaos

So the answer is week 2. I hope you took the under.

Chaos

Wo.

What happened with Barking Mad today?

Reports? Go Pendragon!

Things got off to a late start today because the water levels on the west side of the pier had dropped to a point where the boats were stuck in the bottom. Crews were taken off of the boats, powerboat brought in and the unlucky boats were dragged out through the muck. On the class web site there are (were?) pictures of the pre-worlds where a Chicago park district crew is hauling a shopping cart out of the water right behind the west opening slips.

As for Barking Mad, word around the docks is that their main did not measure in. Who knows what the truth is after folks have been hanging around the water too long and probably consumed far too many adult beverages. Maybe just a bad day.

Defending champ Transfusion is in first, Flash Gordon is in 3rd. There are several protests pending according to Twitter feeds during the 2nd race.

Wo.

What happened with Barking Mad today?

Reports? Go Pendragon!

Go Pendragon? How 'bout GO INFERNO!!

Sorry, gotta support my guys (no offense to Scott & Bax et al!)

PS - protests disallowed/withdrawn

Any word on if the race tracking problem from today has been fixed?

It's hard to find inferno out there with the only red kite in the fleet!

They've got some white ones in the quiver now too... for when stealth mode is needed!

Looking at some of the scores in the Farr 40's through 4 races: Struntje Light has a 18-1-1-16 and Heartbreaker has a 19-2-2-20

Funny looking results. Are they just banging the corners and its feast of famine?

Chaos

Anybody know anything regarding the 'unofficial' beercan tonight?

You mean tomorrow, right?

Yup, that's what i meant..

I would assume it will be like years past - 19:00 start at the Gap (Chicago Light house) - someone will countdown the start on ch 69 - race around the crib and take your own finish time as you cross the extension of a line from the south end of the breakwall south (North would be bad...) Give give your time to who ever at Columbia YC is compiling the results and wait for the announcement in the bar of the results while consuming adult beverages....

Unless thing are going to change this year?

Looking at some of the scores in the Farr 40's through 4 races: Struntje Light has a 18-1-1-16 and Heartbreaker has a 19-2-2-20

Funny looking results. Are they just banging the corners and its feast of famine?

Chaos

Been following it a bit on race tracker. Does not appear that they are banging the corners. Reports from yesterday it was it was shifty as all get out. Today, apparently was just nasty. 1st race of the day lots of what appeared to be overstanding the 1st weather mark and then the RC moved the weather mark. 2nd race of the day, tracking software showed a parade up the port tack layline with no one in sight on stbd tack layline.

Appears there is a lot of that biblical stuff going on--the first shall be last and the last shall be first.

2 more days to go. Folks on Flash have to be feeling good right now but under pressure to make W & TH similar to M & T.

Anyone hear more on what happened to Barking Mad on Monday after winning the Pre's? It seems they are making a comeback after yesterday (went from 20th to 10th)...

-a

Big shout out to FLASH GORDON! Kicked some ass.

Absofuckinloutely!!

HJ, Evan, Gerb, Matty, Scott, Joe, Bill and the rest of the team, outstanding.

In honor of Tom Neill they were going to wear their "Nitemare red" shirts today. Don't know if the weather cooperated for that to happen.

Absofuckinloutely!!

In honor of Tom Neill they were going to wear their "Nitemare red" shirts today. Don't know if the weather cooperated for that to happen.

Nice touch. Tracker was pretty awesome. Chicago represents!

Absofuckinloutely!!

If you watched tracker with enough magnification, you could see the boats gybe, tack, etc. Would have loved to have seen the penalty turns. Must be really nice to win a world championship period. But when it is in your backyard and your YC is hosting; got to make it all the more special.

Absofuckinloutely!!

If you watched tracker with enough magnification, you could see the boats gybe, tack, etc. Would have loved to have seen the penalty turns. Must be really nice to win a world championship period. But when it is in your backyard and your YC is hosting; got to make it all the more special.

Had a chance to go out on the course Sat to watch pre-worlds-very cool. I can only imagine what it has been like out there the past few days with 20+ and wave action. Good stuff.

Absofuckinloutely!!

Had a chance to go out on the course Sat to watch pre-worlds-very cool. I can only imagine what it has been like out there the past few days with 20+ and wave action. Good stuff.

Report from yesterday was that there almost enough broken parts and shredded sails to make a whole boat!

:D

Big props to Flash. They did wear red today.

(null)

One of the Flash guys told me that the Barking Mad crew also wore red in memory of Tom.

Big props to Flash. They did wear red today.

(null)

One of the Flash guys told me that the Barking Mad crew also wore red in memory of Tom.

My post was wrong. I apologize for providing bad and incorrect information.

It certainly does help, thanks. Spells it out.

Two pros = Corinthian...makes no sense.

I thought maybe the boats were made in Africa.

...or Greece FFS.

I was lucky enough to spectate 1 race day & attend the awards party as a +1 for my wife, who was racing. RC was awesomely professional & the party was downright awesome. Plenty of free booze, food & music. Helmut Jahn gave a great acceptance speech & talked about his entire crew by name. It was really nice. Everyone there was really down to earth & pleasant. I was lucky to have attended. The class is still going strong, despite my thoughts on the contrary. Rolex put on a helluva show, and Chicago provided a stellar backdrop. Nice work by CYC & friends & sponsors.

Jim C.

I was lucky enough to spectate 1 race day & attend the awards party as a +1 for my wife, who was racing. RC was awesomely professional & the party was downright awesome. Plenty of free booze, food & music. Helmut Jahn gave a great acceptance speech & talked about his entire crew by name. It was really nice. Everyone there was really down to earth & pleasant. I was lucky to have attended. The class is still going strong, despite my thoughts on the contrary. Rolex put on a helluva show, and Chicago provided a stellar backdrop. Nice work by CYC & friends & sponsors.

Jim C.

+1

great event all around, and quite humbling. pretty amazing just to participate at that level (or observe, which is sometimes how we felt).

to echo some sentiments discussed earlier, it'd be nice to get practice going around the cans in 25+ kts. we've all seen it on the way up to the island, but being the weekenders that we are, it's tough to get the experience rounding marks in that heavy breeze. and man did it show.

Two pros = Corinthian...makes no sense.

Is that like sorta-pregnant?

Chaos

Actually, the analogy that's closer would be a pregnant girl claiming to be a virgin.

Abstinence and crucifiction are only 99.999999999% effective. ;)

DAVE PERRY IS COMING TO COLYC

Saturday, Oct. 13 5:30PM

Join us for the US Sailing Speaker Series featuring Dave Perry. He will be discussing racing tactics and rules.

Tickets include:

Racing Tactics Presentation

Meet & Greet

Keg

Appetizers

Old Pulteney Scotch Tasting

COLYC Members: $30

Non-Members: $40

Reservations Required: (312)938-3625

Curious how boats with Baxter and Considine qualify as corinthian boats.

Maybe that's because 'Baxter' is barely considered 'professional'.... Sorry. Just my .02.

That same sentiment isn't meant towards Mike of course.

Wasn't really interested in how good or bad a sailor people thought any of the pros are, more looking to find out why those who ISAF classify as pros can sail on a "Corinthian" 40.

Asked and answered. Stupid as I think the use of the word "Corinthian " may be...

I know other pros were also on other "Corinthian " 40's . Really don't care about their talent or lack thereof either though.

Curious how boats with Baxter and Considine qualify as corinthian boats.

Maybe that's because 'Baxter' is barely considered 'professional'.... Sorry. Just my .02.

That same sentiment isn't meant towards Mike of course.

Columbia YC is hosting the Boater's Bash again this year, but a little earlier than the past two years!

Area III Boaters' Bash

Saturday, Oct. 27

6:30 P.M.

2012 Columbia Beer Can Awards

Area III Trophies from ALL Clubs

Area III Boat of the Year Awards

Yachtsman of the Year Award

ALL ARE WELCOME $7.00 per person

RSVP

(312)938-3625 or janet@colyc.org

Boaters'BashExternal_2012.pdf

RSVP

Columbia YC is hosting the Boater's Bash again this year, but a little earlier than the past two years!

Area III Boaters' Bash

Saturday, Oct. 27

RSVP

RSVP

Does the $7 include parking and drinks? Seriously, people need to pay again to get trophy's they won? Didn't someone thwart this a couple of years ago?

Area III Boaters' Bash

Saturday, Oct. 27

RSVP

RSVP

Does the $7 include parking and drinks? Seriously, people need to pay again to get trophy's they won? Didn't someone thwart this a couple of years ago?

OK, I just talked to Larry Kwiat to get some clarifications:

• Party is slated to be on the aft deck under the tent, not on the raildeck. Of couse, that is weather permitting
  • There will be live music (pretty sure it is not Montgomery Street and hoping for the Flood Brothers)
  • Parking in the Columbia Yacht will be available, FREE, first come first served.
  • Not sure if the gates will be up on the DuSable lot (technically the harbors are still open), but they may still be charging an hourly rate with their new fangled machines
  • The "cover charge" will help cover costs including the band.

IMHO, $7 is not unreasonable, especially since there is live music. I'd take that over the CYA Ball where it cost me more to dry clean my tuxedo (which I can no longer fit into) and I still had to pay $100 for the rubber chicken...

Lou

Talbot Regatta, CYC-Belmont (RC) - 2 days, twelve races.

Louie's Last, pic or it didn't happen.

First time doing Louie's Last. Great event! Fun times on the water, as well as off...

All for a good cause.

post-941-0-11667600-1349107404_thumb.jpgpost-941-0-27700600-1349107403_thumb.jpgpost-941-0-15066700-1349107402_thumb.jpg

Circus is going out tomorrow for this.

Come out for some Fall sailing. Night vision goggles required:

Offshore Fleet Season Closer

Wednesday October 3, 2012

The Race Will Be A Pursuit Format Scored Independently of the Pursuit Series

CCYC Bar Open After the race

1 THE COURSE

The course for all boats shall be Course C.

No later than 1820 hours, the offshore fleet captain or a designee shall

broadcast by VHF radio the first mark of the course.

2 THE START

The starting line shall extend from the Center Mark on its required side at a

90 degree angle to the first leg. A boat shall start as close to the Center

Mark as practicable.

Races will be started in PHRF rating order, highest to lowest, with the

starting times staggered by PHRF handicap. This changes RRS 26.

Refer to the Offshore Fleet Race Results Webpage for 2012 Pursuit Format Start Times.

3 THE FINISH

The finishing line shall be a line extending from the Center Mark on its

required side at a 90 degree angle to the first leg. A boat shall finish as

close to the Center Mark as practicable.

The finish shall be recorded by the first offshore boat to finish.

Skippers shall note their time of finish, boat ahead, and boat astern.

4 TIME LIMIT

The time limit is 2030 hours.

5 SCORING

The Low-Point Scoring System, Appendix A of the RRS, shall apply except

Scoring for this race shall be independent of the Pursuit Series as Stated Above

One bottle of rum will be awarded to the 1st place finisher

Does anyone know or recall a T-10 "Barquita", formerly a Chicago boat? She is on the hard in Green Bay with damage to the port side, reportedly she fell over in her cradle. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone interested in helping out with frostbiting this fall? It's not my job to invite any of you mopes, but I can give you a heads up that it's right around the corner... PM me and I'll try and get you in touch with the right people.

Some of you know that I was out of our local 'sewing circle' for most of this summer with menstrual cramps, so I plan on overcompensating for my lost summer this fall. Hopefully with our perdicted El Nino we will see warm weather into November, and I will be able enjoy some time on the water during the fall frostbiting season.

Look over your schedules for the next couple of months, and plan to plan on planning on a plan. Or better yet; beg, borrow, or 'borrow' a boat, and get you asses out there!

BB - Holding on channel 'ese'

+1 come out to race or help with some RC work.

NEW PRICES - DAVE PERRY RACING TACTICS

Thanks to our new sponsors - Weather Mark Tavern & Goose Island - we are able to reduce the prices for the US Sailing Speaker Series - Dave Perry Racing Tactics Seminar.

Saturday, October 13

5:30PM - Meet & Greet w/ Dave

Beer & Appetizers

7:30PM - Racing Tactics Presentation

COLYC Members: $20

Non-Members: $30

Columbia Yacht Club

111 N Lake Shore Drive Chicago, IL 60601

RSVP Required: (312)938-3625

Anyone have the DL on the Rhodes out of Montrose that required police, fire department, and coast guard assistance, plus a helicopter, and four ambulances on shore??

Is everyone ok?

And what the hell happened?

Ugh...does this sound familiar?

Anyone have the DL on the Rhodes out of Montrose that required police, fire department, and coast guard assistance, plus a helicopter, and four ambulances on shore??

Is everyone ok?

I saw it getting dragged in as I was leaving. It was not Peter Pan for once. It looked to be swamped and under tow from the coast guard. I had to run before I could get the full story, but did see an ambulance waiting on shore.

I am sure someone has a the story, the landed right as an event kicked off at the club

Is everyone ok?

I saw it getting dragged in as I was leaving. It was not Peter Pan for once. It looked to be swamped and under tow from the coast guard. I had to run before I could get the full story, but did see an ambulance waiting on shore.

I am sure someone has a the story, the landed right as an event kicked off at the club

No one was hurt, just a boa that got knocked down and came up full of water. The Police just towed them in

Fun events for TOMORROW!

ROZALIA PROJECT

1:30PM - Presentation by The Rozalia Project including a demonstration with their bottom cleaner!

FREE

DAVE PERRY RACING TACTICS

5:30PM - Meet & Greet w/ Dave

Beer & Appetizers

7:30PM - Racing Tactics Presentation

COLYC Members: $20

Non-Members: $30

Columbia Yacht Club

111 N Lake Shore Drive Chicago, IL 60601

RSVP: (312)938-3625

NFL Wild Card weekend is January 5th & 6th 2013. It's only about 2 1/2 months away. Time for the SA Ski Trip to Devil's Head. For the life of me I can't remember what happened the previous times I've attended but people keep telling me it was fun...

Should we start a seperate thread this year and try to attract some out of towners to the excursion?

Cheers,

Chaos

For the life of me I can't remember what happened the previous times I've attended but people keep telling me it was fun...

Maybe this will help to refresh your memory?

wisconsin.jpg

so it's agreed then... it was a pretty sweet fall weekend of boating in Chicago.

so it's agreed then... it was a pretty sweet fall weekend of boating in Chicago.

I would concur. The frostbiting was great, although a little bit more wind (+5kts) would have been nicer but nothing to complain about.

I would concur. The frostbiting was great, although a little bit more wind (+5kts) would have been nicer but nothing to complain about.

There was plenty of wind... I could have done without the confused seas, though.

There was plenty of wind... I could have done without the confused seas, though.

I was on the 420s and we were in the harbor. Looking out on the lake there certainly was more wind and a sea state.

Confused seas or a group of undecided voters?

B)

Hi, all. It was suggested over on CA that I check in here for info on Burnham Harbor on S Lake Shore Dr. I just bought an Albin Ballad (sight unseen) at auction, and it is lying at Burnham. I won't know until tomorrow if its in the water or on the hard, mast up or mast down. I was hoping some locals could tell me what facilities Burnahm has for decommissioning, storage, and transport prep; I'm probably going to have to arrange for most of this remotely, so if you have a contact there you recommend I work with, that would be tremendously helpful. Also names of local transport companies, that would be welcome. The boat is 30', ~8000# loaded, and 10' in the beam -- a smaller transporter could likely handle it. Heading for Wyoming.

I really appreciate your help!

The yacht club at Burnham has the ability to step a mast. Outside of that, there are no facilities at Burnham harbor itself.

There are several boat yards along both the Chicago river and Calumet rivers that can do that. You might want to call Crowleys Yacht Yard in Chicago for suggestions on a transport company.

The Chicago Park District has added some facilities for storing boats at several of the harbors(not Burnham though). They might be able to lift a boat and put it on a trailor for transport. 31st St harbor which is just south of Burnham may have that ability. You can call the Chicago Park District Marine division to find out.

In addition to the mast crane at Burnham Park Yacht Club, there are two boat ramps within the harbor. I see you intend to load and go to Wyoming. A transporter with boat handling skills will be your easiest solution, but most of those teams are at home on the interstate, not the water. PM me for some suggestion of local rigger/deliverers.

NFL Wild Card weekend is January 5th & 6th 2013. It's only about 2 1/2 months away. Time for the SA Ski Trip to Devil's Head. For the life of me I can't remember what happened the previous times I've attended but people keep telling me it was fun...

Should we start a seperate thread this year and try to attract some out of towners to the excursion?

Cheers,

Chaos

Bueller...

Bueller...

Bueller...

Cheers,

Chaos

Bueller...

Bueller...

Bueller...

are you talking about the guys ski weekend? i'm in.

are you talking about the guys ski weekend? i'm in.

You wanna tell Mrs. Chaos she can't go, have at it. I gotta warn you, she's a black belt.

Chaos

Hope those of you on the East Coast come through this OK.

Interesting link for a video loop from Tom Skillings Weather blog. Predicted wave heights on Lake Michigan during the storm to the east.

http://www.glerl.noa...param=wv&type=f

AP,

4 hours ago

HOLLAND, Mich. (AP) -- Severe weather bearing down on the Eastern Seaboard could lead to waves as high as 33 feet on parts of Lake Michigan and dangerous conditions on other Great Lakes.

The National Weather Service has issued Great Lakes gale and storm warnings in effect through Wednesday. It says waves on Lake Michigan could be 10 to 18 feet by Monday afternoon, then build to 20 to 33 feet on Tuesday before subsiding. Waves on parts of Lake Superior and Lake Huron could top 20 feet.

Dangerous conditions are expected along piers and breakwalls in areas including southwestern Michigan. Snow linked to the storm could fall in parts of Michigan.

Hurricane Sandy strengthened early Monday, putting it on a collision course with two other weather systems that would create a superstorm.

Open Lake Michigan forecast from NOAA:

.TUESDAY...NORTH GALES TO 45 KT WITH STORM FORCE GUSTS TO 50 KT

POSSIBLE DURING THE MORNING. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE

MORNING...THEN CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 18 TO

23 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 31 FT

anyone get some pics of the sea-state today, post 'em. can't get out there today because of work but would love to see what the hell the lake is doing.