Grinder

Chicago Area III

Don't forget the party the following night:

Rumor brewing that there will be a $3 beer can special, as well as the punch special.

Aslo Belmont lot (both sides) is open so free parking!

post-20878-0-42199500-1358261072_thumb.jpg

always a great idea to promote free parking and drink specials together

PK4 (Sydney 38) is doing both Macs and a full season including all the major regattas and most beercans this summer. We are having a crew meeting at 3 PM on this coming Sunday at Columbia, 3rd floor. If you are interested, stop in or PM me.

T

WINTER ANARCHY 2013

$10 Goose Island Pour 9PM-12AM - Get your wristband at the door

$4 Mount Gay Eclipse Rum Cocktails

$4 Mount Gay Black Shots

$4 Jameson Shots

Starting to think about Mac logistics and, in particular, return delivery. The boat may spend a week in Door County with crew after the race before heading back to Chicago. Thinking about Mackinac Island to Manistique and then on to either Sister Bay, Bailey's Harbor or Detroit Harbor. Alternative would be Mackinac Island to Beaver Island and then on to the Door County harbors. Aside from Beaver Island, never been to any of those spots. We're 34' and need 7' of water. Delivery to Door County will be short-handed. Thoughts?

Baileys Harbor doesn't have the water you need. There isn't anything on the Lake side north of Sturgeon Bay for sailboats. Actually, with 7 feet, you might not be able to get in to harbor south of Sturgeon Bay until Manitowoc.

Plenty of transient room in Sturgeon Bay. Quarterdeck/SkipperBud's (my winter storage location) between the bridges has fuel and they have already dredged fuel dock fairway. Harbor Club Marina on the bay side of the bridges does not have fuel, but they can do pumpouts in your slip (piped under the docks). Ice, showers, free wifi.

Haven't been up to Washington Island for a while, but that harbor was questionable a few years ago for 7 feet.

Sister Bay was OK with my 7 foot draft last season, but we will see what happens with lake levels. I haven't heard if they applied/planned on dredging. You can also get into Fish Creek (municipal or Alibi Marina) or Egg Harbor (municipal-run).

Some of the Mac boats stop at Menominee, MI for the 100 Miler (actually about 42nm) run by M&MYC the Saturday after the Chicago-Mac.

Seems pricey. Can't remember what we've paid in the past. We went to Detroit for ours a few years ago. Fun road trip. Nice to be in a different venue. Bayview Yacht Club is certainly a different venue.

Is everyone coming to Winter Anarchy at Lizzy McNiell's?

Sorry guys but I have run one of these and $145 is below market price and well below what US Sailing recommends. First $25 goes straight to US Sailing for certificate and materials, lunch, maybe breakfast, are usually included, that's another $15+, Moderator and speakers needs to be paid and expensed ($1000- $1500), printing, advertising, equipment rental, etc. If they fill the room the Club will make a couple of bucks but no windfall, and if they don't fill the room they could be taking a loss. US Sailing makes it hard to bring in other sponsors to offsett cost because of the corporate sponsors of the SAS program.

Baileys Harbor doesn't have the water you need. There isn't anything on the Lake side north of Sturgeon Bay for sailboats. Actually, with 7 feet, you might not be able to get in to harbor south of Sturgeon Bay until Manitowoc.

Plenty of transient room in Sturgeon Bay. Quarterdeck/SkipperBud's (my winter storage location) between the bridges has fuel and they have already dredged fuel dock fairway. Harbor Club Marina on the bay side of the bridges does not have fuel, but they can do pumpouts in your slip (piped under the docks). Ice, showers, free wifi.

Haven't been up to Washington Island for a while, but that harbor was questionable a few years ago for 7 feet.

Sister Bay was OK with my 7 foot draft last season, but we will see what happens with lake levels. I haven't heard if they applied/planned on dredging. You can also get into Fish Creek (municipal or Alibi Marina) or Egg Harbor (municipal-run).

Some of the Mac boats stop at Menominee, MI for the 100 Miler (actually about 42nm) run by M&MYC the Saturday after the Chicago-Mac.

You may have to anchor at Beaver... only the few easterly slips have enough depth for sailboats. We ran aground trying to get to the back side last August drawing only 5 feet.

The ferry to Washington Island can't get into Detroit Harbor at this point... I was up there last weekend and news reports said the ferry draws 11 feet and they've only got 12. They are using some alternate location call the Potato Dock.

M&M (Menominee) has no plans to dredge before the season and the muni marina has mostly less than 7'.

Looking pretty grim for sailing plans next summer.

Seems pricey. Can't remember what we've paid in the past. We went to Detroit for ours a few years ago. Fun road trip. Nice to be in a different venue. Bayview Yacht Club is certainly a different venue.

Sorry guys but I have run one of these and $145 is below market price and well below what US Sailing recommends. First $25 goes straight to US Sailing for certificate and materials, lunch, maybe breakfast, are usually included, that's another $15+, Moderator and speakers needs to be paid and expensed ($1000- $1500), printing, advertising, equipment rental, etc. If they fill the room the Club will make a couple of bucks but no windfall, and if they don't fill the room they could be taking a loss. US Sailing makes it hard to bring in other sponsors to offsett cost because of the corporate sponsors of the SAS program.

I attended the Safety @ Sea seminar last year at Strictly Sail and it sucked! Paid $165, what a rip-off. Was told I would get a $10 discount b/c I was a U.S Sailing member, well that never happened. One or two interesting/worthwhile speakers. They were telling us to rig a preventer! WTF who the hell rigs a preventer? Where racing! What a joke. Most of the information was underwhelming and the people I attended the seminar with agreed. No trained medical personal was on hand for the medical portion which I felt was one of the most important segments, they just sped through it b/c they were running late. There was no flare or fire extinguisher demonstration, no helicopter demonstration. Really not much of anything was gained from that seminar, they didn’t even have the ISAF regulation book U.S Sailing said it would provide and it ran an hour past the scheduled time. Truly U.S flailing at its best!

Plus the woman sitting in front of me surfed amazon on her Ipad and bought some junk then she walked out and returned 3 hours later, her hands full of vender bags, no joke. She got the same certificate I received even though she skipped out on half of the seminar.

At least the life raft inflation was cool to watch and the chicken ceasar salad wrap was tasty.

Hey showstoppers,

Don't forget that Lizzie's offers $7 validated parking at 337 E Illinois. If you're enjoying the party, ditch the car; the rate is good for 24 hours!

Hope to see everyone tonight!

You may have to anchor at Beaver... only the few easterly slips have enough depth for sailboats. We ran aground trying to get to the back side last August drawing only 5 feet.

The ferry to Washington Island can't get into Detroit Harbor at this point... I was up there last weekend and news reports said the ferry draws 11 feet and they've only got 12. They are using some alternate location call the Potato Dock.

M&M (Menominee) has no plans to dredge before the season and the muni marina has mostly less than 7'.

Looking pretty grim for sailing plans next summer.

Menominee was low last year but we managed to park off the end of one of the docks for 100 Miler. We are actually just under 7' at 6'8". But I know a C&C 41 (think they are around 7'6" or so) got stuck trying to find a spot. Twister and Experience (50's) had to park on the river.

So with the lake likely down 10"+ from last season, that could put a dent in both the Hook and 100 Miler participation if they don't have enough water for the fleet to dock.

I attended the Safety @ Sea seminar last year at Strictly Sail and it sucked! Paid $165, what a rip-off. Was told I would get a $10 discount b/c I was a U.S Sailing member, well that never happened. One or two interesting/worthwhile speakers. They were telling us to rig a preventer! WTF who the hell rigs a preventer? Where racing! What a joke. Most of the information was underwhelming and the people I attended the seminar with agreed. No trained medical personal was on hand for the medical portion which I felt was one of the most important segments, they just sped through it b/c they were running late. There was no flare or fire extinguisher demonstration, no helicopter demonstration. Really not much of anything was gained from that seminar, they didn’t even have the ISAF regulation book U.S Sailing said it would provide and it ran an hour past the scheduled time. Truly U.S flailing at its best!

Plus the woman sitting in front of me surfed amazon on her Ipad and bought some junk then she walked out and returned 3 hours later, her hands full of vender bags, no joke. She got the same certificate I received even though she skipped out on half of the seminar.

At least the life raft inflation was cool to watch and the chicken ceasar salad wrap was tasty.

That is unfortunate. Glad we had our own! Helo demo is really cool but entirely CG dependent. We had a sailing Doc, do the medical section and he did a great job. OTW Flair Demo from 1 mile distance really showed the difference between SOLAS and non SOLAS flares. ALSO a Nat Weather Service Meteorologist do the weather section, very informative. SS is not the best venue for this for a lot of reasons, but in defense of US Sailing most of the bitches you mention are local org issues not US Sailing. No dog in this hunt, just passing on my experience in running one of these,. Our eval sheets were excellent!

Wow. No buzz at all about Strictly Sail Chicago? We used to go every year, but haven't been for 3-4 years. Actually considered going this year, but evidently a lot of sailors are still nonplused. Sadly...

I heard the J70's were selling like hotcakes.

39 of them at KWRW, pretty impressive.

When were they released late 2011 early 2012?

I talked to my pals at NMMA this morning, show attendance was equal to last year, until Sunday's ice storm hit. Sunday is never a big day anyway.

Thursday, we ate at an Armenian restaurant nearby and a lady was wearing a sailboat sweater at another table. The four of them were in from Port Clinton, OH. The oldest guy at the table at 75+ spoke up and said, "Everyone at the show is old." That cracked me up.

How do we drag younger people to the show? Not too pricey to get in, not even the parking was all that pricey this year.

How many showed up for the Anarchy party?

I talked to my pals at NMMA this morning, show attendance was equal to last year, until Sunday's ice storm hit. Sunday is never a big day anyway.

Thursday, we ate at an Armenian restaurant nearby and a lady was wearing a sailboat sweater at another table. The four of them were in from Port Clinton, OH. The oldest guy at the table at 75+ spoke up and said, "Everyone at the show is old." That cracked me up.

How do we drag younger people to the show? Not too pricey to get in, not even the parking was all that pricey this year.

+1 on the old people observation (I was one of them at the show). Not much new at the show and there was no effort to attract new sailors or non-sailors. Just the "usual suspects" selling the same things they sell every year. Even the boats on display did not seem different than in years past.

About 200. Attendance was way up from years passed

Saw 10 or 20 shindicks and bloviators in the crowd. Good chatting with some of you. Large props to Spring Fever for the WA logistics and management.

This is just my observation

College sailing is more popular and competitive now than it has ever been. It’s hard to find a school on or near the water that doesn’t have a sailing team or least a club. Even the landlocked schools that are miles from any body of water seem to have a club team.

The economy sucks! I have half a dozen buddies with Bachelor of Science or Art degrees from good schools that are underemployed or unemployed. The college educated 21-28 demographic has been hit hard by the Obama economy. Who in that demographic would go to a boat show if there was nothing at the show they could afford?

I’ve been a ninja (no income, no job, no assets) for the past 2 years and only recently have I found employment. I’m so grateful to be working but I sure as hell don’t make enough money to buy a new or used boat.

When the economy turns around for the better then maybe all of us ninjas will have a little bit of discretionary income to spend on boats.

I also feel like it is really hard for an outsider who has money to spend to break into the sport in Chicago. I commend Columbia yacht club for its skipjacks program. More organization in that matter will certainly be good for the Chicago sailing scene.

Just my 2cents.

Get them in cheap boats that mimic what they do in college and highschool sailing right away

College sailing is more popular and competitive now than it has ever been. It’s hard to find a school on or near the water that doesn’t have a sailing team or least a club. Even the landlocked schools that are miles from any body of water seem to have a club team.

The economy sucks! I have half a dozen buddies with Bachelor of Science or Art degrees from good schools that are underemployed or unemployed. The college educated 21-28 demographic has been hit hard by the Obama economy. Who in that demographic would go to a boat show if there was nothing at the show they could afford?

I’ve been a ninja (no income, no job, no assets) for the past 2 years and only recently have I found employment. I’m so grateful to be working but I sure as hell don’t make enough money to buy a new or used boat.

When the economy turns around for the better then maybe all of us ninjas will have a little bit of discretionary income to spend on boats.

I also feel like it is really hard for an outsider who has money to spend to break into the sport in Chicago. I commend Columbia yacht club for its skipjacks program. More organization in that matter will certainly be good for the Chicago sailing scene.

Just my 2cents.

Get them in cheap boats that mimic what they do in college and highschool sailing right away

Just my 2cents.

There's no such thing as a "cheap" boat. I learned that the hard way, and would NOT recommend anyone my age to get anything more than a Laser. Even that's pushing it.

Get the kids on sportboat crews in Chicago. They'll have fun, go fast, travel around, and learn something new.

If you want to be a boat owner under the age of 30 in Chicago, join CYC. First the Associate's membership is graduated with age and we have four sonar's which are available for rental anytime. We've put together a number of regattas to race them in, including an Associate only series, $200 entry for 5 days of sailing. We are going to do it again this year, and are looking to offer a few more inter club regattas as well.

The youth shouldn't pressured into thinking that to be part of Chicago's sailing scene, they have to pay to be part of a yacht club. It's a totally different matter and added cost of ownership.

Luckily, though, if they do enjoy the support of a Club, the 2 largest offer said sliding scales to make them more accessible. Each club offers a different atmosphere, different benefits, etc and the younger market isn't pigeon-holed into one club based on their finances.

But I'm not here to discuss work

If you want to be a boat owner under the age of 30 in Chicago, join CYC. First the Associate's membership is graduated with age and we have four sonar's which are available for rental anytime. We've put together a number of regattas to race them in, including an Associate only series, $200 entry for 5 days of sailing. We are going to do it again this year, and are looking to offer a few more inter club regattas as well.

Great that the dues are cheap but they stick it to you once you are too old to be an Associate Member.

I agree with most of what you say (ignoring the political jab) except for the statement above. While overall participation is down, I still stand by the notion that with a little gumption and a 12 pack of beer, anyone walking the docks on a wednesday night can get a ride. from there, if you show a little bit of aptitude and a lot of the right attitude, you can find yourself a regular ride. i say this from experience, as this is the method in which i began sailing.

so i don't think sailing is necessarily difficult to get into as Sailor90 said, but that its accessibility is unknown. most of my non-sailor friends think of it as an elitist activity that requires boatloads (ha!) of money to get into. i think removing that stereotype is the best way to get more younger people into sailing.

I agree with most of what you say (ignoring the political jab) except for the statement above. While overall participation is down, I still stand by the notion that with a little gumption and a 12 pack of beer, anyone walking the docks on a wednesday night can get a ride. from there, if you show a little bit of aptitude and a lot of the right attitude, you can find yourself a regular ride. i say this from experience, as this is the method in which i began sailing.

so i don't think sailing is necessarily difficult to get into as Sailor90 said, but that its accessibility is unknown. most of my non-sailor friends think of it as an elitist activity that requires boatloads (ha!) of money to get into. i think removing that stereotype is the best way to get more younger people into sailing.

All true, I have crewed on boats in several states by just showing up. And it's a great way to start, and something that too many prospective sailors (even current cruisers) don't realize.

But being an owner does require boatloads of money, and it's getting much worse all the time. As boat ownership declines, crew opportunities decline. That's the fundamental issue. It appears your (great) method of entry is becoming endangered?

Believe me, I love sailing, and I wish I had better answers. Overcoming the $ of ownership is a tough one...and resorting to 4ktSBs will ultimately fail as well (for those who tend to through that up as a solution).

Just my 2cents.

There's no such thing as a "cheap" boat. I learned that the hard way, and would NOT recommend anyone my age to get anything more than a Laser. Even that's pushing it.

Get the kids on sportboat crews in Chicago. They'll have fun, go fast, travel around, and learn something new.

I bought a Vanguard for $1k, put some work into fixing it and have placed in almost every event, it can be done. Who needs more than a laser or Vanguard? That's basically what we sailed in college. Your only other options are joining the OPB (other people's boat) YC or CMRC. The kids just need to know the options.

I spent $1k on my boat, and about $1k-$1.5K a year sailing it (including CCYC dues and a dry mooring). All the work was done by hand with extensive help from the senior members of the fleet (I am getting a new mast step put in for basically nothing next month). Perfect for someone 2 years out of college.

If anyone is interested in joining the V-15 fleet or knows some people who are send them my way. I will get them in boats, and out to events. We are having a few recruitment parties including our St Patty's party on 3/16 if anyone is interested in joining.

If they want to do sportboats, I can put you in contact with the newly created Viper 640 fleet, Nick and Tony both have roots in the V-15 class.

Andy Camarda

URI 2010

CCYC V-15 fleet captain

I like the direction of this convo, but it started talking about how to attract more people to the Strilky Sail boat show (sic). I worry that it may go away if attendance isn't better. That would suck. All we would have left is Winter Anarchy.

I like the direction of this convo, but it started talking about how to attract more people to the Strilky Sail boat show (sic). I worry that it may go away if attendance isn't better. That would suck. All we would have left is Winter Anarchy.

Free beer, free parking, naked women.

Again I was surprised by how few posts/comments there have been on SA and this thread compared to years past. And weren't the Ed & Clean supposedly there? If so, I might have thought they'd have something to say about Strictly Sail...

I don't know what arrangements some of the class associations that displayed boats made to secure floor space at this year's show but I like the idea of dedicating some very cheap floor space to any of the traditional classes (read: classes with boats with reasonable entry-points; e.g., Lightning, Thistle, Snipe, etc.) that wants to bring a boat in and market its class association. The show could work with the class associations to offer discounts and other incentives to class members to increase attendance and market the fact that the show will be displaying boats with very reasonable entry points. Maybe they already do this and the Flying Scott class is the only one that takes them up on their offer. If that doesn't work, free beer, free parking and naked women seems like a good approach.

Bring an AC45 in.... Or something comparable . The show caters to the uninspired.

If they want to do sportboats, I can put you in contact with the newly created Viper 640 fleet, Nick and Tony both have roots in the V-15 class.

Nick and Tony are well and truly snakebitten. Tony is in fact on a social mission to make the Viper the accessible sportboat fleet for the post college sailing crowd. With fleet building price of $32,495 for a new boat including sails and trailer, and financing plan with a less than $250/mo payment, and older used boats you can buy for under $18K, which also qualifying for financing, I think we're going to make it happen, possibly in a big way as the word spreads. If anyone wants more info, PM me, or email dan at rondarboats dot com. Owning a boat isn't particularly cheap, but we're doing all we can to make it affordable/accessible, and partnerships are a great way to get into more boat than you could otherwise, or might not use often enough to justify carrying the full nut yourself.

Wuffie mentioned Class Associations at Strictly Sail Chicago. I was actually there at the Viper 640 Class Association display with Nick, Tony and random Viperers who showed up and hung around to chat with folks and grow the local and regional fleets. We were alongside the local Shields, R19, Buccaneer, T10 and J/111 fleets. We were all down at the west end of the hall together. NMMA does a pretty screaming deal on space for that sort of thing. Mostly(!) one-design classes with reasonable entry points, and covering a range of styles. The V15 fleet should be there next year in fact.

SA Men's Ski Trip is next Saturday, Feb 9. We have about 20 people going up. Early arrival on Sat followed by skiing, drinking & shenanigans, not necessarily in that order. I have to bail, but hopefully the Men will continue the tradition of hijinx. JC.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/lakes-michigan-huron-hit-record-low-level-dq8loc2-189903561.html

Huron-Michigan levels are at their lowest since data started being recorded in 1918.

Usual suspects; drier than normal winters, St. Clair river dredging.

I know that there are some leaks in Lake Michigan but I wonder why if it rains 1 inch, that the lake does not rise 1 inch today and 1/2 inch tomorrow from the run off. Too simple????

I know that there are some leaks in Lake Michigan but I wonder why if it rains 1 inch, that the lake does not rise 1 inch today and 1/2 inch tomorrow from the run off. Too simple????

Lake Michigan's surface area is 22, 400 square miles. Not at all likely that you will ever get the equivalent of 1" of rain across the entire surface area. It might be raining cats and dogs in Chicago and the sun is out in Green Bay or up on the island.. In addition, someone pulled the plug out of the bottom of the tub (St Clair river dredging)

... someone pulled the plug out of the bottom of the tub...

Yes, it's called The Falls...LM being the starting point-ish. :D

http://www.jsonline....-189903561.html

Huron-Michigan levels are at their lowest since data started being recorded in 1918.

Is the article suggesting a Lock and Dam on the St. Clair River?

Lock and dam? No:

"Roger Gauthier, a retired Army Corps hydrologist, said in the Sierra Club of Canada release. "Water levels can be restored responsibly by gradually installing sills at the head of the St. Clair River."

".. . .the Joint Commission should be issuing a recommendation within the next few weeks on what - if anything - should be done in the St. Clair."

Lock and dam? No:

"Roger Gauthier, a retired Army Corps hydrologist, said in the Sierra Club of Canada release. "Water levels can be restored responsibly by gradually installing sills at the head of the St. Clair River."

".. . .the Joint Commission should be issuing a recommendation within the next few weeks on what - if anything - should be done in the St. Clair."

I was having trouble understanding what he was getting at in the article. They want to install "sills" in the river to slow the flow, however they have dredged the river to make it deep enough for shipping traffic. Aren't they just going to need to dredge the sills out again for the ships?

Lock and dam? No:

I was having trouble understanding what he was getting at in the article. They want to install "sills" in the river to slow the flow, however they have dredged the river to make it deep enough for shipping traffic. Aren't they just going to need to dredge the sills out again for the ships?

I don't remember all the details but apparently the last time they dredged they went too deep and broke through a natural sill, and the current did the rest of the damage apparently making it much deeper than the 25-30 ft they need for shipping (like 80ft if I remember right) This greatly increased the volume exiting into the Detroit River. They are proposing to artificially replace the natural sill that was broken from what I understand,

Sent in my registration to the DNR in January (transfer title, actually, as I just bought the boat), and just got it back saying I didn't pay enough. Turns out, the IL DNR DOUBLED the registration fees as of Jan 1. Mine went from $82 to $160. New prices are not published on their website. I would say 'unbelievable', but this is IL...

#$%^#$%^!

-aaron

Sent in my registration to the DNR in January (transfer title, actually, as I just bought the boat), and just got it back saying I didn't pay enough. Turns out, the IL DNR DOUBLED the registration fees as of Jan 1. Mine went from $82 to $160. New prices are not published on their website. I would say 'unbelievable', but this is IL...

#$%^#$%^!

-aaron

Welcome to the Land of Lincoln where there is a higher fee for everything. We have the finest government and public servants money can buy. Just got to support our broke ass state.

Reminder: Midwinter Beercan Party at Nisei Lounge Wednesday night 7-10 pm!

A huge THANK YOU to Goose Island, Crowley's, Line Honors, Nisei Lounge and all our very generous individual donors!

Feeling lucky? Event tickets, sailing gear, and fun prizes waiting to be won! Thirsty? Fun cast of sailing bartenders will be ready to pour your drinks!

Can't make it? Donate - http://www.chicagosfoodbank.org/area3allstars

AREA 3 ALL STARS Chiditarod 2013 - Greater Chicago Food Depository: Donate

secure2.convio.net

The "AREA 3 ALL STARS" is made up of members/friends/family of the local Chicago sailing community. ...

(null)

Defiance is already here. BooYaah.

What's the rumoure? I think Chicago Big boat racing is scarily small this year. Depth is gonna be a HUGE factor. Down 13" from last year?

Gonna be a LOT of issues in the harbors & other ports.

J30's for everyone!

So when's the over/under for that green Rhodes 19 flipping on the lake and being pulled out by the local authorities?

My bet is March 17th.

Chaos

So what's this chatter about some big fucker of a JV heading too Lake Michigan for 2013?

i heard about this too, but wasn't so focused when the person was telling me the story.

Was it the bow guy from OCEAN? Cause he is the best.

that guy doesn't know shit.

Overheard at the Cupola bar at the Grand last Summer from some guy (wearing full Ocean swag) talking to a fudgie: "Ocean isn't a turbo, it's a maxi turbo".

Where do I find the "LIKE" button on this page? Oh I forgot, this isn't FB.

This year lets all welcome Ocean, they're trying.

Maybe we wont buy the short dude (and that's coming from me) as many drinks in Waukegan again this year. That guy was hammered.

Overheard at the Cupola bar at the Grand last Summer from some guy (wearing full Ocean swag) talking to a fudgie: "Ocean isn't a turbo, it's a maxi turbo".

Where you find Maxi's, you can usually find a Douche...

Where you find Maxi's, you can usually find a Douche...

Where you find Maxi's, you can usually find a Maxi Douche...

Hey gents, long time no talk via SA - hope you're all well.

Anyone have any West Marine purchases coming up? I got a $200 Gift Card as a gift but there's nothing I really need. Looking to unload this thing for $160. PM me.

What's the rumoure? I think Chicago Big boat racing is scarily small this year. Depth is gonna be a HUGE factor. Down 13" from last year?

J30's for everyone!

Big Country is staying on the hard in 2013.

Sorry to hear Ike.

J30's for everyone!

J30's for everyone!

Oh my, sorry to hear that. Will miss you on Wednesdays. If you'd like a ride on a J30... let me know

Little fella made the claim that they would win the Mac and overall, he bet $100 that we would not beat them corrected, it was said lets make it interesting and go $2k... we beat him and he did not make good. Though it was quite funny when I saw him on the Island and said nice race, he asked what I came up on, told him, vague recollection crossed his face and he turned away...

Who was buying him drinks, he was buying anyone who would say boo to him beverages.

J30's for everyone!

Oh my, sorry to hear that. Will miss you on Wednesdays. If you'd like a ride on a J30... let me know

I'll be lucky to sail at all in 2013 (on Lake Michigan).

All you fuggers on the A3AS are awesome! Props to you for a great job on the Chiditarod!

(Except Grinder who pulled the same disappearing act as the Men's Ski Outing. He CLAIMS "work" when everyone know his wife won't let him out of the house - read that: sex slave!)

Cheers,

Chaos

J30 is Circus is getting a shiny new 3dl Genoa.

Gonna open up a giant can of (light air) whoop-ass this summer.

Watch for us on a race course near you.

Thanks to my brother, we can not drink the boat dry in light airs anymore, we have to actually sail.

Bring it, Skidmarks!

J30 is Circus is getting a shiny new 3dl Genoa.

Gonna open up a giant can of (light air) whoop-ass this summer.

Watch for us on a race course near you.

Thanks to my brother, we can not drink the boat dry in light airs anymore, we have to actually sail.

Bring it, Skidmarks!

Jebus, it's been too long since I drank a beer with your brother.

Good Dorsey stories...

Al Gore said we won't have to worry about ice anymore. What the Hell !

Chicago Yacht Club communications -

Frostbiting CANCELED - Sunday, March 10th

Unfortunately, the weather has not cooperated in melting the ice with enough time for us to successfully run Frostbiting this weekend. Races this Sunday, March 10th are CANCELED. Racing will begin next Sunday, March 17th.

Couch racing at the Casa will resume as usual...

Can't you just get everyone to pee into Belmont Harbor? That will melt the ice.

Richie Stearns and Skyway have collaborated and created a new event for Circus J/DAY Kinda mini J-Fest run by the racers. Columbia will provide the RC and a dock for the afterparty, but all booze will be BYOB + Goose. Race day is June 29, a week after the mini Mac to Waukegan. Nobody in his right mind is doing Queens Cup this year anyway and Michigan City an back race is too far for a J/30. NOR is up on Yachtscoring. Entry fee $55, which will buy you absolutely nothing, except a decent RC. I'm sure that between myself, 5 Degrees and Blubber we can fuck up any 55 dollar regatta without even trying

http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=790

Speaking of J's...

for those of you that find the 8:30 AM harbour call a bit much, or have to go to Church, on Sunday mornings why not come on down to Belmont and volunteer for RC in the afternoon and watch the new j70 fleet hit the water for the first time racing one design. It is warmer in the afternoon... usually.

give back to the sport why dont cha

Grindercast

Cabo start saturdsy

Cabo finish, 10 days from now... :(

It may be a slow race - BUT - what's the problem in that? You get a couple of weesk away from the lovely Chicago weather ahanging out in SoCal/Mex waters. As long as you are bringing enough beer and food.............

Limerick contest:

"There once was a Grinder from Chicago,

Who sailed from Newport to Cabo...very slowly "

Fixed.

Limerick contest:

Who sailed from Newport to Cabo..."

They went real slow on there way to Mexico

With Rod on the prod...

Limerick contest:

He said with a fright, there's no Miller Lite!

Now I can't drink like a fag-oh!

Limerick contest:

"Once aboard ship, he was tragically hip,

and did sail with Rod down to El Squid Roe"

Ha, you guys are hi-larious Thanks for following along. It was like the slowest Mac race in history. Food was real low. Still fun though. Glad the other Midwest boats did OK.