Grinder

Chicago Area III

Another good option in that price/speed range would be to buy a Rhodes 19 and race with the OD fleet out of Montrose harbor. They launch with a hoist and not a ramp but that is even easier. This would probably be a much better idea than your original one

There are also the Etchells, Shields, and V15 fleets out of Belmont Harbor (V15 has a Montrose fleet as well) . The Etchells are host launched.

Yes, in my car... along with the blow up sheep, goats and a unicorn (???, it has a horn). Get them out before the wife sees them.

Circus has an A2? Sweet, where has it been hiding? Dock box? Rod's car? Lazarette?

Is anyone available to lend a hand moving a 36.7 from Burnham to Belmont over labor day weekend?

Will the boat be loaded with beer and if its nice, can we take a very indirect route?

Chaos

Lots of peeps sign up last minute, and according to the LMSRF A3 site there were 106 entries with 6 DNS's in 2012.

only 88 boats signed up for Friday (compared to 117 last year)... weather is looking amazing - don't miss out!

Is anyone available to lend a hand moving a 36.7 from Burnham to Belmont over labor day weekend?

As long as you don't have to load it on a truck... and Chaos brings the wife along

What's the skinny on the weather for tomorrow night?. We need free weather routing for the Circus to make it in to St Joe, goddamnit.

Looks like rain, but the forecast changes every day. So we'll do our routing just before the race begins...

What's the skinny on the weather for tomorrow night?. We need free weather routing for the Circus to make it in to St Joe, goddamnit.

I hope everyone survived the storm. I saw 75 mph winds reported at 6:15pm downtown. I was at work downtown and watched stuff get blown off rooftops and balconies.

I hope everyone survived the storm. I saw 75 mph winds reported at 6:15pm downtown. I was at work downtown and watched stuff get blown off rooftops and balconies.

Well the most we saw on the water was 45 but fortunately we didn't have our sails up yet at that point. It was strange to see the Chicago skyline completely disappear though. It got intense for a while.

What should have been an enjoyable fun evening in St. Joe spent with our team, turned very dark.. After the St Joe YC party, Eagle crew was coming back to the Silver Beach Hotel when we witnessed a man fall from the balcony onto the parking lot below. We had just parked our car and were walking toward the west entrance door of the hotel and were only 200 feet away from the man that fell. While running to him, one of our crew called 911. Myself and one other crew member were on him within seconds. We checked for a pulse, found none, administered CPR and got his heart beating and he started to breath again. The police and EMTs were there within a few minutes and took over. We did all we could but found out later that night that the man passed away due to head trauma. Very sad....found out he left behind a 14 year old son. It gave us all pause to realize just how fleeting life can be. Our prayers are with his family and loved ones.

Very sad story

What should have been an enjoyable fun evening in St. Joe spent with our team, turned very dark.. After the St Joe YC party, Eagle crew was coming back to the Silver Beach Hotel when we witnessed a man fall from the balcony onto the parking lot below. We had just parked our car and were walking toward the west entrance door of the hotel and were only 200 feet away from the man that fell. While running to him, one of our crew called 911. Myself and one other crew member were on him within seconds. We checked for a pulse, found none, administered CPR and got his heart beating and he started to breath again. The police and EMTs were there within a few minutes and took over. We did all we could but found out later that night that the man passed away due to head trauma. Very sad....found out he left behind a 14 year old son. It gave us all pause to realize just how fleeting life can be. Our prayers are with his family and loved ones.

Well the most we saw on the water was 45 but fortunately we didn't have our sails up yet at that point. It was strange to see the Chicago skyline completely disappear though. It got intense for a while.

I concur with the 45's...pretty gnarly. made 6.5knts downwind barepoled.

Not a bad day on the Area III course today... 3 races, one a little bit odd perhaps. Too badc only a pair of PHRF1 boats and the usual bevy of T10s were there to enjoy.

Thanks for your time & effort, BPYC.

It is time to re-embrace the Big Kahuna party at Belmont this Saturday, seeing as how there's no racing on Sunday. Lets get it on. Last race of the season. Everyone in.

I'll be there Grinder. I hope all of the other dudes & dudettes on Skidmarks will be there too.

But you're mostly pulling for the dudes.

Someone smash the pinata for me.

Thanks for your time & effort, BPYC.

It is time to re-embrace the Big Kahuna party at Belmont this Saturday, seeing as how there's no racing on Sunday. Lets get it on. Last race of the season. Everyone in.

Too bad Riot Fest is the same weekend.

Ask Weglarz how many 105s flew code zeros during the Mac when class rules dont allow them. I know at least Rocking Horse did as their story in the national newsletter explained in detail how they were passing boats using their "secret weapon" a brand new Ullman code zero. Ours was in my attic. WTF.

I will be having a discussion with Weglarz very soon,...and I wonder if we have any other owner's/crew that would like to come forward to explain their "secret weapon", we managed to stay ahead of most of them even with a 10 minute head start and 15 hours of jib reaching,...

Clubber,

Can you define what you see as the class rule violation? If the code zero has additional hardware associated with it - like a furler - then I agree with you.

But if all they are doing is running a flatter asym chute that is smaller than 89m2 then that would appear to be legal by the class rules as long as it measures by the rule, has luff, leech, and foot cords, and they don't exceed the max number of chutes allowed on board for the race (two). RH has a new 77m2 listed in sail inventory on j105.org, so I am assuming this is the "code zero" they are referring to?

I suppose it comes down to the interpretation of the term "code zero".

If said "code zero" is made from a laminate instead of nylon then it is a violation of class rules. If it is just a tight reaching chicken chute then it is perfectly legal and I applaud them for trying to optimize the performance of their boat, I just wish they wouldnt call it a code zero as I have a true code zero with furler and bobstay and was bummed I couldnt use it.

Interested in the explanation as well but think it will be as described above, just a reacher or flatter sail meeting the requirements.

No matter what it was it did not help them as most of the local 105's beat them including us.

It was nice to see Flying Pig beat them at Verve where they finished DFL.

Completely agree, I think they need to better define their terms or 'fess up. I just think it'd be a new level of dumb to blatantly violate the rules while in sight of the whole fleet ... and then go brag about it in the class magazine.

I haven't raced my boat in a one design section in Chicago for nine years before this years J Day and Mac race and I must say it was really fun. It is nice to see the class is still alive and kickin and I thank Jon Weglarz for volunteering his time and energy as fleet captain.

Fleet 5 has been great to deal with and the level of support has been outstanding from Jon and everyone.

This is my first year with the boat or doing any racing at all, so I really appreciated the willingness to share their knowledge and support.

Eight boats registered for Sheldon Clark tomorrow.

It takes a J105 to raise a village. No, wait. It take a village to raise a Code 0. No. No that's not it...

Clubber,

Can you define what you see as the class rule violation? If the code zero has additional hardware associated with it - like a furler - then I agree with you.

But if all they are doing is running a flatter asym chute that is smaller than 89m2 then that would appear to be legal by the class rules as long as it measures by the rule, has luff, leech, and foot cords, and they don't exceed the max number of chutes allowed on board for the race (two). RH has a new 77m2 listed in sail inventory on j105.org, so I am assuming this is the "code zero" they are referring to?

I suppose it comes down to the interpretation of the term "code zero".

As you know, the original national OD chute for the J/105 class was a 77sqm back in 1992(?) and X years thereafter. The 89sqm as the national OD chute came later, actually a Chicago fleet contribution IIRC (I think Chicago also allowed a big overlapping genoa too). Back then, asyms had not evolved were much flatter than nowadays (less evolved). So the original OD chute might be cut like a modern day code zero, though a little large. The rules do allow for one main, two jibs and two spins (not larger than 89sqm). The boat in question would have given up having an optimal downwind 89 backup chute, but that's a conscious choice. Interesting situation...

Didn't see this until today or I would have asked Wegs yesterday on the boat.

I left him a message today.

Ask Weglarz how many 105s flew code zeros during the Mac when class rules dont allow them. I know at least Rocking Horse did as their story in the national newsletter explained in detail how they were passing boats using their "secret weapon" a brand new Ullman code zero. Ours was in my attic. WTF.

Any word on the medical emergency on the water today? I didn't see the coasties or CPD...

Hoping for the best.

. J70 169, owned by John Heaton. John Poast called in with a medical emergency. A stroke was mentioned. Have no other details as to who was affected and what has happened since. Positive vibes have been sent to all on the boat.

Correction Bev. It was a crew member off of Gary's J70. My cousin's husband. He is recovering in the hospital & doing better. He is a Circus crew member. Keep him in your thoughts.

Jim C.

king_zps0926cb77.jpgLooking for the codes to either A or B dock @ Belmont. PM me if ya can help.

Mongo, lost your contact info, Kings are in PM me for details.

a few characters are congregating at The Point (intersection of Milwaukee/Kinzie) to watch the AC tomorrow. Join if you can.

Can I afford to be seen with any of these characters?

Here's hoping there is a race tomorrow.

Anybody gonna watch AC at columbia tomorrow????? Also I know this is a long shot, but some shithead stole this flag on Mackinac Island and still has not returned it. The flag has done over 25 macs and belongs with the old goat (Larry Kwiat) who had it made. We know it was 100% stolen by a sailor due to the way the halyards were put away after the theft. Anybody have any information on the flag's whereabouts? 298120_10150924540770613_1257628271_n.jp

A lovely weekend down on the south course. A bevy of T10 showed up for the last "big" boat racing of the season in Chicago land. Sunday was awesome... except for the Bears.

Anybody gonna watch AC at columbia tomorrow????? Also I know this is a long shot, but some shithead stole this flag on Mackinac Island and still has not returned it. The flag has done over 25 macs and belongs with the old goat (Larry Kwiat) who had it made. We know it was 100% stolen by a sailor due to the way the halyards were put away after the theft. Anybody have any information on the flag's whereabouts? 298120_10150924540770613_1257628271_n.jp

It is a Steal Your Face! If it were stowed and stolen on the head that would be way too poetic.

DQOTD: My own fault, but I missed out on a 105th Mac Race patch from this years race (owner doesn't have any left), and I have one from every race done before this. Anyone know if/where I can still get one? I emailed CYC but got no response. I can prove that I participated if necessary and I'd be happy to pay for one of that's what it takes. Thanks...

I have one for ya. Cost ya a beer at the Pony or Horns if i see ya. I'll be sailing Wed.,Thurs., and Friday out of Dusable F dock if u want to sail or give me ur address and I'll mail it to ya.

The Morf/Goose Island Open was a fun way to close out the season. There was definitely no shortage of wind! And I Can't recall the last time I witnessed two MOB's in one race. I'm glad everyone was ok, and good job to those who aided in the recovery and stood bye to assist.

Thanks all. Two people have kindly offered to help me out...

You will have to pick one up from someone else. CYC has none left.

GUESS WHAT!

It's time to start planning Winter Anarchy 2014!

Venue has to be reserved by Nov 1, so this is your chance to shout out your likes and gripes about last year.

Want to help out or have a suggestion? Send me a PM.

Aloha Chicago sailors,

If anyone is sailing in the next few days, I'm in town and would love to get out there.

It's just too beautiful not to ask.

Please PM me.

There is a bonus pursuit beer can race at Corinthian tomorrow, wed. Circus will be attending.

It's time to start planning Winter Anarchy 2014!

Russian Tea Time Restaurant - we could hit an afternoon tea service for some fine assh 'herb-a-doe-shus' goodness, booyaa! The salmon and cream cheese tea bites with fresh dill is crunk'n yo! Follow that shiz up with either a napoleon torte, or some dope ass lemon cake, pole-ease bitches!

Since I missed last year and I'm an idiot, anywhere you pick ( I'm sure) will be just fine. Just don't get your ear bent too much by our suburban contingency. Last thing anyone needs is a Blue Line shuffle out to Toby Keith's in Rosemont.

But I wouldn't mind a Anarchist's day out beforehand. Apple picking? Handbag shopping at a local outlet? Spa day! Weeee! God dammit I need to get back on a fucking boat...

goodness, you've lost it. 76 and sunny, the lake is calling

My skipper is looking for scaffolding... preferably one that is already down at Crowlyes. Anyone have some lying around they would want to part with?

Basically He's looking to get to a height of around 10-14', if possible a deck section and wheels.

PM me

Planning on delivering boat to Holland tomorrow. Looking a little dicy. One crew member just dropped out. That leaves me and just one "sailor" crew. Anyone up for an "adventure sail"? Coffee, beef stew, and beer provided. Plan would be to grab dinner in Holland, sleep on the boat, and AMTRAK back to the city Sunday morning. Boat is ABSOLUT, Beneteau 38s5.

-PAXP-deijE.gif

Seamanship is more important than Safety as proven in the last few years of racing sailboat catastrophes. When these boats have gone up on a shore and broken up, in most cases they positioned themselves on a leeshore in breaking waves. All seamanship books make it very clear never to be trapped on a leeshore.

Take a look at the NOAA graphic for tomorrow, and decide that going down the channel with the expected wave heights is the place to be. Of course it will be a great ride, departing in relatively smooth offshore and windy departure, but the farther you get across the lake the higher the waves will be. How clean is the inside of your fuel tank? The fuel will be swirling tons going across the lake and will end up going to your engine, clogging your filter, just when you need your engine most.

Imagine the pierheads, imagine your approach, imagine the predicted waveheights, imagine them rolling up the channel.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=grr&storyid=97783

Good luck.

Offshore Holland forecast.

TONIGHT
SOUTHWEST GALES TO 40 KT INCREASING TO GALES TO 45
KT...THEN BECOMING WEST LATE. OCCASIONAL SOUTHWEST STORM FORCE
GUSTS TO 50 KT OVERNIGHT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS OVERNIGHT.
WAVES 6 TO 9 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 11 FT BUILDING TO 15 TO 20 FT
OCCASIONALLY TO 28 FT.

SATURDAY
NORTHWEST GALES TO 35 KT DIMINISHING TO 30 KT LATE.
SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES SUBSIDING TO 8 TO 12 FT
OCCASIONALLY TO 15 FT IN THE AFTERNOON.

Just logged on to to retract the invite and saw your posts. Thanks for the prudent advice. After looking at it more carefully, and getting a "no F'ing way" from the crew, we've decided to leave Sunday. And thanks Glenn for the link . Haven't seen that before. Invite stands for Sunday.

If your up north round Waukegan on a Sunday at 12:30 and the water isn't frozen join us for Frostbiting.

Given the current weather conditions I love seeing the Northwestern medical group commercials currently running which show Stretch Armstrong sailing on Sin Duda with his family. Great story, nice video, and warm thoughts on these cold days.

Just saw that yesterday. Pretty cool. Glad I saw it while zipping by on TiVo

+1, me too. It caught me by surprise so I didn't recognize which boat it was because it wasn't until the end that I realized it had to be Lake Michigan near Chicago. Hope (and expect) to see it again, it did look to be well done...

Has anyone found that fucking flag yet, Christ almighty. Maybe someone could hoist it up in to the joist spans at Strictly Sail.

Tales of the Timmie's and the Frostbiting adventures this past weekend? Pics would be nice.

And congrats to Don (the Anonymous SA lurker we all believe he must be to have started up his own sailing center just to distance himself further for the Area III scene) on his winning the 6th Annual Carlos Aguilar Match Race.

Timme's ... 8 races on Saturday (4A, 4B)... frozen sheets, frozen blocks, big puffs from the north. Can you imagine trying get get your main out at the windward mark, when the sheet is frozen, and then getting hit by a blast?

At start time on Sunday it was maybe 20f. No sailing.

Michigan beats Wisconsin by 1 point, followed by 2 Missenota teams.

http://scores.collegesailing.org/f13/timme-angsten/

Has anyone found that fucking flag yet, Christ almighty. Maybe someone could hoist it up in to the joist spans at Strictly Sail.

could it be? a college kid's dorm room a thousand miles away...

<_<

flag.jpg

Who ever did steal it is a piece of shit who needs to rethink their values. If it was a sailor I am happy to shun them when they come back to Chicago.

Let's wait until Friday after Thanksgiving to talk rating shit....
In the meantime Happy Thanksgiving (or Happy "just another regular Thursday" for others).

Blub, don't you have an announcement to make???

Is it too early to start (continue) bashing PHRF ratings yet?

OD - Wait your turn...

Is it too early to start (continue) bashing PHRF ratings yet?

OD - Wait your turn...

Does anybody in Area III use PHRF ratings anymore?