Grinder

Chicago Area III

No problem, had a cowboy hat disappear once on Mac...big as a tent.

Please accept my apology. I got you confused with another person named Rich that had a tent also disappear.

Well, thank god it is not "with my tent" , whatever the fuck that means...

Has anyone found that fucking flag yet, Christ almighty. Maybe someone could hoist it up in to the joist spans at Strictly Sail.

could it be? a college kid's dorm room a thousand miles away...

<_<

Who wants a Divvy station at DuSable Harbor? I know I do! Makes harbor hopping much easier/cheaper and leaves options open for getting home at the end of the night ;)

Please support a 2014 DuSable Harbor Divvy station by clicking/sharing this link: http://suggest.divvybikes.com/place/136196

On your phone? Go to http://suggest.divvybikes.com and head on over to the DuSable Harbor suggestion to show some love.

This is not the flag. The renegade crew appreciates your efforts strbrdtckr, well buy you a drink at the pony for sure.... handle of rum for anyone who can bring us the real flag. I am worried this flag may be hanging in some assholes apartment and never see another Chicago - Mac ride.

Well, thank god it is not "with my tent" , whatever the fuck that means...

Has anyone found that fucking flag yet, Christ almighty. Maybe someone could hoist it up in to the joist spans at Strictly Sail.

could it be? a college kid's dorm room a thousand miles away...

<_<

flag.jpg

From the Yanker of Anchors, Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators and Area 3 Prophet Extraordinary, it's the 2014 Area 'Tree' Scheduler.

Enjoy, but try not to get too excited all over it, it's the only copy we have. Show some restraint...

Seems like there are fewer races every year.

From the Yanker of Anchors, Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators and Area 3 Prophet Extraordinary, it's the 2014 Area 'Tree' Scheduler.

Enjoy, but try not to get too excited all over it, it's the only copy we have. Show some restraint...

Different than post #2859?

Why, because it was so well run and those of us that participated in it thought it was one of the best regattas of the year?

Why, because it was so well run and those of us that participated in it thought it was one of the best regattas of the year?

No, the 100 year lease/deed of gift expired, so now the ownership and possession reverts back to either Panama or China, can't remember which right now.

No, the 100 year lease/deed of gift expired, so now the ownership and possession reverts back to either Panama or China, can'ttt remember which right now.

Cool, now that is a reason. Tell us more, anyone who knows more.

Sheldon Clark was an awesome day of racing. Now we just need a way to spice up the party.....

Hmmmm, let me think.......

I got it......

Drinks that cost less than a 3di mainsail!

Perhaps a $3.00 beer special?

Just thinking ahead people.

I cringe when I think of the CYC beer prices.....

Happiest of Holidays!

Heard rumblings about this last week should be EPIC! Was told a good amount of boat owners have verbally committed. Something new, at least...."A" for effort?

http://www.chicagoregatta.com/#!epic-distance-race/c195o

An Epic Distance Race
Saturday, September 6, 2014
11:00 a.m. Start – 5:00 p.m. Finish
Chicago Lakefront & South Lake Michigan
Sailing a course that weaves past many marks along Chicago’s lakefront and Southern Lake Michigan, the Chicago Regatta is an distance race with the thrills of a short course.
The course is designed such that all boats finish around 5 p.m. so crews may wrap-up their boat and head directly to the Rocking Regatta Party.
The first 50 boats to register for the Distance Race receive complementary dockage Friday and Saturday evening at 31st Street Harbor; so come for the race and stay for the weekend. To assure that slips do not go unused, when reserving your slip, your credit card will be charged $30, which will be fully refunded when you arrive Friday or Saturday evening at 31st Street Harbor.
The Distance Race entry donation is $100, which includes five complementary regatta party tickets. Additional party tickets may be purchased online for a donation of $20, or at the door for $25. Space is limited and the party is expected to sell-out, so purchase additional tickets soon.
Each crewmember is asked to make a personal online donation of at least $25, and to encourage their family and friends to contribute also. Donation totals are tracked by boat. Remember, this is a race for the kids of Lurie Children’s Hospital, so please give generously.
The Pinnacle Top Givers Flag is awarded to the Distance Race boats that raise the first, second and third greatest amount of total online donations.
The Pinnacle Trophy is awarded to the Distance Race boat that finishes first on each of the three courses, corrected.
First, second and third place flags are awarded for each Distance Race boat that finish accordingly in their section, corrected.
Race awards will be presented at 8 p.m. at the Regatta Party.
This competition follows the US Sailing Rules of Racing and is scored using PHRF.

Sounds less like an "epic distance race" and more like taking my 4ksb from Monroe to Burnham to get gas.

Heard rumblings about this last week should be EPIC! Was told a good amount of boat owners have verbally committed. Something new, at least...."A" for effort?

http://www.chicagoregatta.com/#!epic-distance-race/c195o

An Epic Distance Race
Saturday, September 6, 2014
11:00 a.m. Start – 5:00 p.m. Finish
Chicago Lakefront & South Lake Michigan
Sailing a course that weaves past many marks along Chicago’s lakefront and Southern Lake Michigan, the Chicago Regatta is an distance race with the thrills of a short course.
The course is designed such that all boats finish around 5 p.m. so crews may wrap-up their boat and head directly to the Rocking Regatta Party.
The first 50 boats to register for the Distance Race receive complementary dockage Friday and Saturday evening at 31st Street Harbor; so come for the race and stay for the weekend. To assure that slips do not go unused, when reserving your slip, your credit card will be charged $30, which will be fully refunded when you arrive Friday or Saturday evening at 31st Street Harbor.
The Distance Race entry donation is $100, which includes five complementary regatta party tickets. Additional party tickets may be purchased online for a donation of $20, or at the door for $25. Space is limited and the party is expected to sell-out, so purchase additional tickets soon.
Each crewmember is asked to make a personal online donation of at least $25, and to encourage their family and friends to contribute also. Donation totals are tracked by boat. Remember, this is a race for the kids of Lurie Children’s Hospital, so please give generously.
The Pinnacle Top Givers Flag is awarded to the Distance Race boats that raise the first, second and third greatest amount of total online donations.
The Pinnacle Trophy is awarded to the Distance Race boat that finishes first on each of the three courses, corrected.
First, second and third place flags are awarded for each Distance Race boat that finish accordingly in their section, corrected.
Race awards will be presented at 8 p.m. at the Regatta Party.
This competition follows the US Sailing Rules of Racing and is scored using PHRF.

Finishing at 5:00 pm is pretty late if you have to get back to your harbor, put the boat away and then head over to the party.

Good thoughts and if something is not done quickly we will have the same deminished and dieing schedule from last year and the preliminary schdule from this year. I am enough of a fanatic that I would make this schedule or nearly any other that was proposed, however, my experience as a boat owner says that you will have a lot of difficulty with this schedule this late in September. You will also have difficulty with the focus on Port to Ports (even though that is what attracts me). Shorten the Sunday and have the buses leave early. Make sure that the marinas are going to charge special low rates so that the owners do not get killed for the week the boats sits and you might get somewhere. Definitly get Racine in the mix. If you did a Friday night race you could go around the weather bouy in either direction Chicago to Racine or Racine to Chicago making it about 90 miles.

Robin

Pink Pony Party! I think its the 25th, the Saturday of Strictly Sail, at Belmont as always. 7ish start?

The drinks are too expensive at Belmont.

Can any one single person disagree with that statement? I didn't think so.

How do you all feel when, at the NOOD and Verve, members get a discount at the drink ticket table. No other yacht club I know of charges more to non-members than to members for the same drink.

Really not cool.

Is it really that uncool?

Spoken like a member enjoying their discount

Assumptions are fun aren't they. I have not bought tickets in a while and have no idea what kind of a discount you are talking about.

That said members do pay a nice premium to belong, why not offer them a slight benefit?

Is it really that uncool?

Spoken like a member enjoying their discount

Assumptions are fun aren't they. I have not bought tickets in a while and have no idea what kind of a discount you are talking about.

That said members do pay a nice premium to belong, why not offer them a slight benefit?

Maybe all the other clubs in the area should just charge CYC members 15% more at their parties. ;-)

Laura Dekker, Maiden Trip is coming to the Gene Siskel Film Center. Jan 24-30. Limited run, check it out.

Laura Deker, Maidentrip go see it. Only on town for a few more days.

Really good.

Skyway Yacht Works has announced the formation of the THREE CRIBS FIASCO on September 13, 2014. Stay tuned as they develop it. Or if you would like to give input (doublehanded, etc.?) give Steve Kindra a call at 773.734.7777.

As the cribs are somewhat close in a straight line, they're scratching their heads trying to figure out how to make it triangular so that going marks to port, or marks to starboard, would make a difference (like the 3 bridge fiasco does). They're in the early phases of planning and open to suggestions.

And they say they're not copying anyone else and it is an original idea B)

Drop Mark east of the Four Mile. Do not announce course--direction, order, rounding--until day of race over the vhf. Could even wait to determine location of drop mark (marks) on the day of. In order for it to be a meaningful deviation in course the drop mark would need to be some distance into the lake.

Robin

After my 3 year sabbatical I'm going to try to do some sailing this summer. Probably going to ease into it with some Wednesday nights out of Dusable / Monroe. How's the big boat scene looking like down there these day? I walked the dock Friday last summer before the Mac and was shocked by the lack of boats and all the strange faces. Only person I recognized on the dock was Perry!

• Downvote 1

I asked the harbor master...

Apparently the owner died a few years ago, and the family was paying the bills for it for a while then stopped. Basically, Westrec doesnt want to spend the money to dispose of it.

Not sure why this is news because the boat has been kept over winter at Belmont for at least 3 years that I know of (remember the harbor master saying 5?).

Last year they pulled it up by the old marina office and put it back on the star dock in April. This year they just left it on the star dock, so it is more noticeable right there by the bike path and LSD.

Oh, and somebody had to walk out on the ice to take that pic...

Meanwhile, in other news at Belmont...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-woman-rescued-from-lake-michigan-20140201,0,2272951.story

A 31-year-old woman was rescued by firefighters this morning from the frigid waters of Lake Michigan on the North Side.

It was not known how she got in the water but firefighters from an engine company were able to pluck her out about 7 a.m. in the 3700 block of North Recreation Drive in the Lakeview neighborhood, said Chicago Fire Department spokesman Chief Juan Hernandez.

Six inches of snow gets the blubs pinned in the house for two days and he goes bat shit crazy..

Forget the bowmen .. not that they would ever let you...how about ipad blubs goes arse over tea kettle into the drink... forget the confetti cannon, load that fucker with grape shot, elevate one degree because these 52's are so fucking fast and blow the blubs out of the water .. the fleet cheers, the flags on the 52 go up...Imedi expects everyone wear a black band in memory of blubs...BOB...

wait, we have to finish with the same number we started with...its ok, we just bring up the blowup blubs the girls keep in the sail locker...all's well that ends well..

just a dream...

Zulu killer.. qu'est que c'est?

Looks like the Hunter (think thats what it is...) that has been sitting in the far NE corner of DuSable all winter is sinking. Has quite a list to port and is down by the bow.

Gotta love the westtek / government / government contractor mentality.

Instead of dealing with the problem they procrastinate and let it sit around where it eventually turns into a larger problem.

Didn't the article say the boat has been abandoned for 2 or 3 years now?

So now its going to sink and become a bigger deal to remove.

Thats not the same boat...The one in the article is at Belmont Harbor, and has been abandoned for several years.

The one -apparently- sinking is up by the NE corner in DuSable harbor. For a while in November it was sitting at a pier over by the Columbia club ship, but they moved it over where its sitting now.

Since the lake is frozen over and all indications are that the lake levels will be positive this year... does that mean we don't need to have a "Fill the Lake" meeting this year?

Chaos

We can have a "Thaw the Lake Party" instead.

Same idea... drink cold beer, let our bodies warm it up and piss into the ice to thaw it out. Repeat.

Since the lake is frozen over and all indications are that the lake levels will be positive this year... does that mean we don't need to have a "Fill the Lake" meeting this year?

Chaos

Thats not the same boat...The one in the article is at Belmont Harbor, and has been abandoned for several years.

The one -apparently- sinking is up by the NE corner in DuSable harbor. For a while in November it was sitting at a pier over by the Columbia club ship, but they moved it over where its sitting now.

Yup...Now that the snow over the ice has thinned, its real apparent the boat in Dusable has sunk with her bow on the bottom. The one in the papers on the star dock at Belmont is riding just fine however.

PK4 is having a crew organizational meeting this Sunday, the 9th from noon to 2PM, at Columbia. All are welcome. New aspects for 2014 will be discussed.

If you are looking for a ride or want to make a change, come by. No commitment necessary.

PM me if you want to come so we can get a chair count.

T

Hey totally off topic question but you guys will know...who, in Chicago, re-upholsters seat cusions (sunbrella) ?

gratzi! beer me!

Anyone looking or know someone looking for a boat to crew on this year? We are a one design boat looking for some extra hands to fill out our crew this year. PM me for details or send me your email. Don't need a big commitment as we only do the major regattas(colors, nood, verve and mac) and some of the fun charity races.

Hey Grinder,

I've talked to a couple of the bigger volume boat brokers/dealers around here and my nose is still stinging from the door slams I got. They said that the purchasers of new or used boats do not want it broadcast that they got a boat. The owners want to keep it a secret. For one, they want to see the surprise reaction from others when they tell their friends. For two, they want to "surprise" their section the first time they show up. The dealers/brokers do report a decent amount of boats have been sold this winter.

If anyone in the trade does talk, either they get a verbal lashing from the boat owner, or they stop getting future orders, and some even lose clients when others have heard that the trade person let the cat out of the bag.

As LMSRF is working hard trying to grow participation, it makes it difficult to measure change, when results have to be a big secret!

- Glenn

Any new (to us) boats coming around this Summer?

Thanks Glenn. Sad to see the damage to boats at Torresen last weekend. Hopefully they can be repaired & racing.

The J70's are freaking exploding. Maybe I should only get 2. B)

"Dear Abby" article last week had a story about a girl who was keeping her pregnancy secret, then her mom told her sister who told her daughter who went to her cousin to congratulate her. Now everyone in the family is pissed off at each other. I didn't know you could hide a pregnancy. There's something in the water that people want to hide things that they should be clanging the bells as loud as possible showing their success!

Okay, just to keep Mr. 'I Just Bought A New Toy' happy...

2. How does Mr. 'I Just Bought a New Toy' plan on sneaking up on us?

a. Air drop his hull onto the course a minute before the first warning (note: don't forget to check in...)

b. Come out to the course with a big ass tarp over your new boat, then unveil it to us the Bob Flippin Barker on the Price is Right?

c. Oh wait, Siegfried and Roy style... 'POOF' There she is, coming out of the fog bank with a bunch of albino big cats jumping all around the deck...

Note - I'm a big fan of 'c'

So I guess we won't see anything at the local boatyards this spring, these 'new to us boats' will just materialize out of thin air. Right... Well, there you have it; it's up to us to keep our eyes open at the boatyards for mysterious hulls draped in secrecy.

Come on Scoob, like, let's find us something to eat.

R'okay Raggy....

Okay, I'm got easily excited with the TP52, FL, the Pogo and that 36.7 is the new T-10.

I see nothing there exciting except TP52 Heartbreaker & maybe 1st light.

First Light got shorter, but not dimmer.

Really great boat. Only thing missing is a cooler that will fit a Philipino, 10 cases of beer and 40 pounds of ice.

Really great boat. Only thing missing is a cooler that will fit a Philipino, 10 cases of beer and 40 pounds of ice.

"Dimmer" was a play on word. Get it? First Light. I'm so clever.

This FILIPINO will miss the swim-in beer cooler of the brighter First Light.... but we welcome you back. It will be a good summer.

"Dimmer" was a play on word. Get it? First Light. I'm so clever.

This FILIPINO will miss the swim-in beer cooler of the brighter First Light.... but we welcome you back. It will be a good summer.

ohhh... Filipino. Beyond clever, a good speller to boot. I even used spell check and still got it wrong.

Can't wait to get back to town!

Lol.

Hopefully this years race is a bit quicker than last year. Couldn't possibly be any slower.

Lol.

Couldn't possibly be any slower.

Don't Jinx it!!!

In any other circumstance I would be concerned about the jinx, but I literally would bet my house it can't possibly be as bad as last year.

Andrews 70 Runaway

Farr 400 Meridian X (some buy her!)

And the 3rd Tee Pee is now off the entry list. We spoked her...

oops!

I'll let the cat outta the bag, Derrick Rose purchased #7 and learned to sail in his free time. He applied to CYC also

post-61607-0-16175200-1398050334_thumb.jpg

I'll let the cat outta the bag, Derrick Rose purchased #7 and learned to sail in his free time. He applied to CYC also

Only problem is... he'll get injured on the first leg of the first race and be out for the rest of the season

I need a reason to get out of work.
What time is the 'fill the lake" gathering start? I can only hold it for a while. It's not good for the bladder.

i'm in if people will go. support seems lackluster. no complaining about how low the lake is this year then.

Maybe you should change it from "fill the lake" to "Warm the Lake"...............just sayin'

Andrews 70 Runaway

Farr 400 Meridian X (some buy her!)

And the 3rd Tee Pee is now off the entry list. We spoked her...

third TP is still on the entry list... Imedi, NJ, Heartbreaker. Any news if Hughes is just chartering or if he made the big purchase? She's also registered for Ugotta.

Christian a pretty resourceful cat... I'm sure Steve Thompson will take his call.

Well it is tough to drag Thommo out of a Vietnamese whorehouse - but we are looking at other options....................

Wanda, formerly of Area 3

attachicon.gifWanda first race 2014.tiff

Well that just sucks donkey balls and I'm sure Christian is a little miffed. I wonder how long it takes to get a new rig on that? if I recall it was not a stock rig.

At least no blood was spilled - that is obviously the highest priority - it did require some rum though

Goblin's 2nd mast is sitting somewhere just north of here and its just been collecting dust.

Christian a pretty resourceful cat... I'm sure Steve Thompson will take his call.

Well it is tough to drag Thommo out of a Vietnamese whorehouse - but we are looking at other options....................

Wanda, formerly of Area 3

attachicon.gifWanda first race 2014.tiff

Well that just sucks donkey balls and I'm sure Christian is a little miffed. I wonder how long it takes to get a new rig on that? if I recall it was not a stock rig.

At least no blood was spilled - that is obviously the highest priority - it did require some rum though

Good to hear nobody was hurt Christian. Rum will always help sooth the pain, some times more, some times less :)