Grinder

Chicago Area III

Hey guys,

I've been interested in doing to tri-state race for a few years now and I was wondering if there are any boats out there looking for crew? I have experience doing bow (dip pole gybes), mast and headsail trim but I am willing to do whatever is asked of me. Shoot me a PM if anyone has an open spot.

Thanks,

D

Go to page 16 of this LMSRF newsletter to learn how to use the LMSRF Yahoo! Groups. When you send an email into this system, it generates an email that goes out to 800 sailors on Lake Michigan. Many have found rides using this system. I did, just last week -

http://lmsrf.org/images/stories/newsletters/2014_03_LakeMichiganSuRF.pdf

Hey guys,

I've been interested in doing to tri-state race for a few years now and I was wondering if there are any boats out there looking for crew? I have experience doing bow (dip pole gybes), mast and headsail trim but I am willing to do whatever is asked of me. Shoot me a PM if anyone has an open spot.

Thanks,

D

What was with the late start on the CCYC circle last night?

New RC that had wrong NOR

We are heading to Matilda, 3101 N. Sheffield, on Saturday night, to see Matt Knighton, our friend and Volvo Ocean Race On-Board Reporter. He is racing on Abu-Dhabi. We have the basement reserved. Enjoy the steepest and most dangerous stairs in the metropolitan area, whilst talking sailing. Post-Verve Inshore, Post-Leukemia Cup. 7-10pm. Breeze on.

http://www.matilda-babyatlas.com/home.htm

The boot comes off and he gets to using the foot for some ass kicking, nice.

Yes, R.I.P. Bob. Evidently he was scheduled to be having some sort of heart surgery, in the not so distant future, but was planning on doing the Tri-State with the new (to him) ride. Supposedly he was in the yard (Larsen's...I understand), working on the boat, and passed away quite suddenly.

I hope all you middle-aged white dudes are keeping an eye on your cholesterol and seeing the DR when you need to. We might complain about you, but we still want you around.

I was completely taken aback when I got the news. Service is this coming Saturday:

http://www.davenportfamily.com/sitemaker/sites/Davenp2/obit.cgi?user=1388816Vickery

Bob was a great friend and a pleasure to sail with. He will be missed. He was looking forward to getting the old VMax (Farr 39 ML) out on the water.

Yes, R.I.P. Bob. Evidently he was scheduled to be having some sort of heart surgery, in the not so distant future, but was planning on doing the Tri-State with the new (to him) ride. Supposedly he was in the yard (Larsen's...I understand), working on the boat, and passed away quite suddenly.

Looks like it was a fast ride up to St. Joe for the Tri-State's first leg. Anybody have a more detailed recollection of the race, festivities in St. Joe? cheers,

BREAKING NEWS! Well for January anyways... Strictly Sail and the Boat & RV Show have officially merged into a single "supershow" at McCormick Place. Dates Jan 14-18

We'll see if this changes the Winter Anarchy venue... Thoughts? It's planning season!

Will be interesting to see how it changes things around. It was nice as a stand alone.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Attendance and vendors down significantly the last 5 years. At least there is something left for us. Let's start a rumble vs the stink potters. Just like the Outsiders. I say we are the Greasers. Olshitsky is Pony Boy.

Some of us remember when the two shows were one back at McCormick place, and even further back at the International Amphiteatre. CYC had a Lehman Dinghy in a round pool filled with water (on some sort of pedestal that kids could get on), with a fan blowing, tack and jibe and so forth.

The some sailors between 1974-1978 ran an in-water show first at Burnham Harbor in October, weather didn't cooperate so they moved it to September at Navy Pier on the North Side.

Their promotional machine deserves a gold medal. We'll see how the party fares. It's for a great cause. Lurie Children's Hospital is an impressive organization and we have good friends involved with them. Imedi will be out there doing the EPIC distance race.

http://nyyc.org/latest-news-public-blog/1678-2014-u-s-qualifying-series-tracking-and-live-audio

if that does not work just use http://www.nyyc.org to track Chicago Yacht Club as they battle it out for YC Supremacy in Newport at the New York Yacht Club Invitational Series US Qualifiers.

Live ion your computer, CYC got a 2nd in the first race.

If they follow one piece of advice, it is thus: Pour strong drinks & don't overcharge. Actually, that's 2 pieces of advice. Nothing will kill a good party like $9.00 rum drinks and $6.00 beers. This is fact.

If they follow one piece of advice, it is thus: Pour strong drinks & don't overcharge. Actually, that's 2 pieces of advice. Nothing will kill a good party like $9.00 rum drinks and $6.00 beers. This is fact.

$9 drinks it was. On the plus side, they were passing out flashing cock rings.

epic prices... how was the race?

amazing day on the water. we had 3 solid races on the RYF course. great RC work.

good breeze, different course. I know that tactically it may be a little boring participating in a reaching parade, but it's fun to execute maneuvers that are a little different than your standard W/L course.

thanks to the Defiance guys for having me out, sorry the leg kept me from being able to contribute a bit more.

good breeze, different course. I know that tactically it may be a little boring participating in a reaching parade, but it's fun to execute maneuvers that are a little different than your standard W/L course.

thanks to the Defiance guys for having me out, sorry the leg kept me from being able to contribute a bit more.

I thought the course was set up nicely using our permanent fixtures on the lakefront as marks, and with the addition of the added drop marks. I ( me personally) wouldn't have minded an extra loop in between the Harrison-Dever and the Wilson cribs. All and all, it was one of the closest things we've had in Chicago resembling a Ugotta Regatta course. Let's keep it up!! Maybe next year we could use some of the marks around the beercan courses in addition to the cribs and drop

Suggestions -

1. Let's not over-charge on the cocktails and beers, let the people drop their donations into raffle tickets, not cash registers at the bar. I'm sure the dollars are all going in the same direction (we hope), but it will help the image of the event, and possibly bring in fresh young (drunken) faces .

2. Adding some complexity to the course would be fun. And yes, I was listening to '78' all day, and heard some of the most ridicules questions asked to our wonderful RC. Typical... But let us not cripple the masses due to those that refuse to read ( and comprehend) the SI's.

3. 10:00 am first warning. Let's get out there and race. We had fantastic breeze in the morning, and it tapered of during the afternoon. Granted, this played to our favor, but me likes the big breeze. Inversely, If we have to sit it out under AP, so be it. Always error to racing...

And lastly, great job to the RC and event coordinators! I ( me personally) was very pleased with the event as a whole. This was a great start to what should be one of the best regattas in Chicago. I certainly hope this event grows in size and prominence in short time.

Ol'shit-sky - sometimes not doing something is doing something... Great job not buggering anything up!! :lol: I love sailing with you.... Miss you bro. 'sniff, sniff.. someone get me a tissue damn-it!'

Totally agree with your post, we delivered the boat 60 miles to support the event and really enjoyed the race course, on a much slower boat than yours we were a little concerned about the forecast dying breeze but the course turned out to be perfect for us.

Hopefully the word will get out and we will have more boats to beat next year.

The drink prices were ridiculous and I'm sure it lost money to the event, if in fact the profits went in the pot....I know a lot of crews didn't even go to the party, where were you?. The prices were aimed at the rbo's and the trendy Chi set who don't sail, rather than us, and they hopefully raised a lot of wedge for the hospital.

Anyway sorry we missed you blubs, see you at Louie's ...zk

The Wife runs plenty of events, most for charity. She said none of the money went to Children's Hospital, and almost always goes to the caterer, unless specifically posted that the bar proceeds go to the specific charity.

There are now 30 boats registered for the Goose Island Amateur Night Race! Keep those registrations comin'!

Why race in Amateur Night?

- No $9 drinks. As a matter of fact, Goose Island is providing a FREE pour!

- No $100 registration fee; it's FREE to race!

- Did I mention FREE beer? Everyone who registers before Sept 15 receives a FREE 12-pack. (Yes, I extended the 12-pack guarantee deadline.)

- Give back to the beer company that gives us so much.

- Sweet prizes from Goose

- Not to mention tomorrow's forecast looks like survival sailing, so you should definitely consider extending your Wednesday nights one more week!

Thanks guys!

Fact check -

20% of the drink costs went to the foundation.

So if you bought drinks, good on ya. You made a worthy contribution to a wonderful charity; Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago Foundation.

Thank you Pinnacle Foundation for your efforts to both raise funds for a beautiful cause, and provide a fantastic regatta

Sounds a bit like a Chicago equivalent of Louie's last. Perhaps costumes next time? Somehow i don't think the r/c would mind any reasonable suggestion.. and some not so.

The course was good for the context of the event and with the North wind was a fine windward-leeward with a couple of reaches. As far as I saw, the only "parades" were the short reaching legs, and we don't see too many of those anymore. Lots of tactical games being played on the upwind and downwind legs. Bigger boats could have used a somewhat longer final leg - but it was ok. The event should not be too eager to compete with the "complexity" of Harbor Springs or the zaniness of Louie's. This was meant to be a classy yacht race.

Fact check -

20% of the drink costs went to the foundation.

So if you bought drinks, good on ya. You made a worthy contribution to a wonderful charity; Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago Foundation.

Thank you Pinnacle Foundation for your efforts to both raise funds for a beautiful cause, and provide a fantastic regatta

Sounds a bit like a Chicago equivalent of Louie's last. Perhaps costumes next time? Somehow i don't think the r/c would mind any reasonable suggestion.. and some not so.

+1

In the never ending saga of "how do we grow the sport of sailing," my personal opinion is that "fun" events get more participation, and those that are introduced to the fun stuff who want to move to more competitive serious racing will find a way. but take out the fun events and you lose the people who think winning the party is just as enjoyable as winning the regatta.

What do the non-Belmont/CYC boats do for the Big Kahuna party after the Sheldon Clark? Is there dockage / rafting available?

Looking forward to Goose Island Amateur Night; nice having a 105 start on a Wednesday.

So ahhhhhhh, what up Chicago?

We had an amazing day on the water no where near survival and Defiance has their orange storm main up, reefs for a few 3 Cribbers, Red Flannels cancelled?!!?!? Dude I have done RF in a Lightning with sustained 20's and massive gusts.

Gorgeous day on the water sorry some chose to take it in from the shore.

Really? Red Flannel abandoned racing Saturday?

I don't feel bad not having a full crew then.....

12345, even injured he's dissing the northshore yachties of CCYC....

Race 2 underway for the Etchells, little bit of rain coming down the course otherwise a nice day on the watet.

The sailing vessel Circus would like to thank the sailing vessel Cyclone, J92, for the tow in last night. If anyone knows them, please send our regards. We will be following up with beer.

500 ft, unless the area is considered congested (or not considered open water), in which case different distances apply. The catch all is in the event of engine failure, you must be able to glide to shore. It's in FAR91 somewhere, I think in the teens or 20's.

Here is one very note worthy racer for sale in the Great Lakes....

sale pending...

Hope she stays in the GL

san diego i believe

I'm sick of this page 3 nonsense. Seriously, I think Western Michigan's thread is higher up than ours.

So I'm here to share some news:

Winter Anarchy 2015

Friday, January 16 9PM

New Location: Goose Island Clybourn

New Cause: The Skin Cancer Foundation

Thank you to: Crowley's Yacht Yard, Line Honors, Goose Island and, of course, Sailing Anarchy

Stay tuned for more information!

PH Mac Race, hit over 'dere by Canada, eh?

Belmont Rock with Blubbs.

Oh, and Mich City channel

There are only two types of boats in the North Channel (above Lake Huron). Those that have hit rocks, and those that are about to. I've been up there, enuf said!

With the LMSRF Newsletter, free to ya'all, we have been asking for new boat arrivals on Lake Michigan for three years. The silence is deafening. I asked a boat broker why this is. He said, "Boat owners do not want it announced that they bought a boat, they want to be able to surprise their friends, one by one. There is a certain person in the trades who blabs a new boat each time he gets word of it. Little does he understand that he has lost clients for good, because he can't keep it to himself."

So, good luck getting folks to out their friends!

I've always thought looking over the first month of race results in the spring could pick out the new boats, then do a write up from that.

I've hit twice with you Grinder, the PH mac race (we had like 11 guys swung out on the boom and only 2 on board, each like 100 years old) and we had a nice bump coming out of Mac city on a delivery back ("hey, wow, look at that big old rock..." <bang>)

Both should have been avoided by paying better attention to navigating.

I'm gonna pick out a new camper at the sailboat show. What's the MacGregor 26 of RV's?

Brendan

The silence is deafening. I asked a boat broker why this is. He said, "Boat owners do not want it announced that they bought a boat, they want to be able to surprise their friends, one by one. There is a certain person in the trades who blabs a new boat each time he gets word of it. Little does he understand that he has lost clients for good, because he can't keep it to himself."

I've always thought looking over the first month of race results in the spring could pick out the new boats, then do a write up from that.

If one has their head to the ground it is not hard to hear about new boat ownership. I know of a few interesting changes.

Re the other question...

Only hard hit was on a Ohio based J105 heading over to Put In Bay, OH zipping along at 7+ knots we nailed an unmarked rock approaching the Islands. F me that was a quick stop, the wheel was not enough to stop my momentum ripped it off the pedestal. Drove into the harbour using a monkey wrench to steer.

How the fellas on Vestas avoided injury at 18kts is beyond me.

Yup with the ear to the ground you do find boats being bought, but then a little bell rings telling you not to publish it!

I suppose we are in a different era. People aren't having those big christening parties, inviting tons of people, making it known publicly that they bought a new (used) boat. Now it's all cloak and dagger.

The silence is deafening. I asked a boat broker why this is. He said, "Boat owners do not want it announced that they bought a boat, they want to be able to surprise their friends, one by one. There is a certain person in the trades who blabs a new boat each time he gets word of it. Little does he understand that he has lost clients for good, because he can't keep it to himself."

If one has their head to the ground it is not hard to hear about new boat ownership. I know of a few interesting changes.

Re the other question...

Only hard hit was on a Ohio based J105 heading over to Put In Bay, OH zipping along at 7+ knots we nailed an unmarked rock approaching the Islands. F me that was a quick stop, the wheel was not enough to stop my momentum ripped it off the pedestal. Drove into the harbour using a monkey wrench to steer.

How the fellas on Vestas avoided injury at 18kts is beyond me.

Sailing a J35 in the 1990 Mac.

Pretty fast race although a bit cold and wet.

Made our bridge call at 0815 Monday and were headed for a podium finish, possibly as high as first.

Flying the kite at about 8 knots, wind off St. Ignace.

Playing games with another boat - taking up, that kind of shit.

Two goats on board.

It was a lttle choppy, and then the sound of the chop changed. I was standing over the winch and fell into it when the boat stopped on Graham Shoal.

The boat we were fucking with stopped there, too.

Watched the whole fleet pass us by. Other boat got off unassisted and finished DFL. We got pulled of with glass chunks drifting about by a boat from the Island, complete with photographer. There was a god - the photographer was too seasick to get any shots - and we managed the harbor without further incident, but with the WDR for our finish.

Boat went into Irish for repairs on Wednesday and was ready for the J35 NAs later that season.

Owner got out, but boat still racing in AIII.

My Great Lakes Wind Forecasting: A Workshop for Sailors will be offered at Strictly Sail Chicago from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on Friday, January 16, 2015. Whether you are a Mac racer, day sailor, beer-can racer, long distance cruiser, or one-design sailor, the skills learned during the workshop will enhance your understanding of the wind and improve your sailing performance. The workshop combines traditional classroom instruction, Great Lakes case studies, and hands-on exercises to create an engaging learning experience. Workshop details and registration materials can be found at: http://www.lakeeriewx.com/Seminars/StrictlySail/Wind.html

Mark

LakeErieWX: Marine Weather Education and Forecasting Resources

I just got off the phone with the Bayview Mac Chair and he stated that if we wanted a Super Mac finish he would assist us in any way that he could!

We got into some of the logistical details and everything seemed workable. I'm going to do what I can to make this a reality for 2015!

Who's interested?

Seems a bit strange as I don't think there are many HPR optimized boats in a 500 mile radius of Chicago..................just sayin'

If I'm coming up to Strictly Sail at McCormick early on Fri from Indy, what's the fastest way once I get near Chicago? I do plan to go in on I90 over the Chicago Skyway, but I am guessing the Dan Ryan/I55E will be awful? Is Stony Island and Lakeshore mo' better faster? Or another way?

Or just leave early, listen to radio traffic, and expect slow going no matter which way I try to come in. Thanks...

Skyway to Stony Island to LSD would be a slick route, don't know how it is that time of day though. Def. most direct Are you attending Anarchy party?

Skyway to Stony Island to LSD would be a slick route, don't know how it is that time of day though. Def. most direct Are you attending Anarchy party?

Thanks. I may attend the SA party, and Goose Island is a cool place/good beer (I've been), but I'm afraid I'll never make it home after in one piece that late on a Fri night! Long drive home.

Stay on 90 to 90/94 to 55 N to the MLK exit. I'd only take Homey Island exit through Jackson Park (Cornell Ave) to 57th, and out to LSD if the Damn Ryan is looking to be a parking lot via your Google map app.... Up the 90/94 isn't that bad in the AM. This is the 2nd least driven expressway during the Chicago inbound rush hour time frame. outbound 90/94 South is the lightest during the AM rush.Stop to take a squirt and top up the mug no later that Merrillville (hwy30)... On your way out of town, I recommend a stop at Three Floyds Brewery down in Munster IN. They're a little beer snobby and pretentious there ( I know! Facking Dumpster IN and they've got some attitude, go figure), but I actually go for the burger(s)

Thanks. Guess I'll listen to the radio and GPS traffic alert, and call an audible on the way in.

We've been to Three Floyds. Enjoyed the tour. We got in line for the brewpub after the tour, but it was a cold day and the wait was so long we left after about 20 minutes. But it must be good with a wait like that on a cold Saturday early afternoon.

I was by your booth yesterday just as you guys were bending that baby Lewmar Bruce all different ways....

Come by the Crowley's booth and ask for the Blubberboy.

And remember - XL sizes typically sell out by mid to late Saturday, or early Sunday. If you're an XL, don't procrastinate.

Wee sailors and biggums; we'll have your stuff all show long...

Clearance booth, hit it early, like right now...

Midpack - Wouldn't you know it, there is an accident on the inbound 90/94. Hopefully they'll have it cleared up before you come in...

Thursday was a light evening at the show, saw a few peeps. Didn't get to walk around the show much. I can tell you one thing, I think it's pretty cool having all the powerboat, sailing, and RV crap under one roof. I would probably never go to a powerboat and RV show, and now I get to see it all, I kind of like that.

Unfortunately, it seemed that the the individual shows were better. It seems that there is less of everything this year, but all under one roof.

Midpack - Wouldn't you know it, there is an accident on the inbound 90/94. Hopefully they'll have it cleared up before you come in...Thursday was a light evening at the show, saw a few peeps. Didn't get to walk around the show much. I can tell you one thing, I think it's pretty cool having all the powerboat, sailing, and RV crap under one roof. I would probably never go to a powerboat and RV show, and now I get to see it all, I kind of like that.

I came through about 8:15, so I must have missed it - yay! Thanks...

I ran into an old friend who told me that Wittenburg has purchased the Farr 280 and is taking delivery this spring.

Where were you Friday night Blubs? Goose Island was fun- Spring Fever did another awesome job, and the crew she put together we're top notch! I did miss some people who I found out yesterday were hanging out in a non-moveable space near the bar...

Currently watching the Patriots blow out of Indy. I think the rain at the game are the tears of all the Packer fans.