Grinder

Chicago Area III

Little help:

New to Chicago this year, haven't really had time to do any racing with my boat yet - but I am interested in doing the tri-state to at least get my feet wet for next season. I cannot seem to locate any information on how to register. The only thing I can find are some out of date sailing instructions on the sail yacht racing website. Who hosts this thing?

thanks in advance

Though most boats do multiple legs, the TriState is actually three races hosted by three different area YC's (or two races for those who opt for the BiState). You can register for any/all three legs of the TriState on the Area III site. There is a link to the BiState return trip registration on the Area III schedule page. Whatever you do, don't miss the festivities at the St Joe River YC - the main attraction aside from racing. Here you go...

http://www.sailyachtracing.com/A3/

Little help:

New to Chicago this year, haven't really had time to do any racing with my boat yet - but I am interested in doing the tri-state to at least get my feet wet for next season. I cannot seem to locate any information on how to register. The only thing I can find are some out of date sailing instructions on the sail yacht racing website. Who hosts this thing?

thanks in advance

Though most boats do multiple legs, the TriState is actually three races hosted by three different area YC's (or two races for those who opt for the BiState). You can register for any/all three legs of the TriState on the Area III site. There is a link to the BiState return trip registration on the Area III schedule page. Whatever you do, don't miss the festivities at the St Joe River YC - the main attraction aside from racing. Here you go...

http://www.sailyachtracing.com/A3/

Thanks! Couldn't find this for some reason - bookmarked now!

Tri-State will always be a good time and great time to network for crew if you are looking.

Let us know what else you need, there are a fair amount of good resources on this thread.

Little help:

thanks in advance

What sort of boat?

Little help:

thanks in advance

What sort of boat?

C&C 35-1

Little help:

thanks in advance

What sort of boat?

C&C 35-1

If you're interested in weekend buouy racing, there's a group named MORF that would be appropriate for the 35. We race just south of the 4 mile crib.

Corinthian Yacht Club at Montrose harbor also has a rather active PHRF fleet... and also some of the best value beer in Chicago.

Little help:

thanks in advance

What sort of boat?

C&C 35-1

If you're interested in weekend buouy racing, there's a group named MORF that would be appropriate for the 35. We race just south of the 4 mile crib.

Corinthian Yacht Club at Montrose harbor also has a rather active PHRF fleet... and also some of the best value beer in Chicago.

I'm keeping the boat at Montrose and have been pleased with observing* the sailing scene there. I travel a lot for work and also campaign a boat in Detroit so I am spread a little thin. That being said, it is a goal of mine to try to get the boat out on the race course next season with some regularity. I really appreciate the invitation, and that is good to know about MORF - as I've been wondering what the right venue is. Since I've been here I have been racing in the T-10 fleet (what a great class!), but never see too many handicap boats out there. It sounds like different time and place perhaps.

I assume these MORF events are indicated on the sailyachtracing website link that was provided earlier in the thread, yeah?

I assume these MORF events are indicated on the sailyachtracing website link that was provided earlier in the thread, yeah?

Nope, only a few MORF races are on the Area III schedule. Here's the full MORF schedule http://morfracing.org/S

Little help:

thanks in advance

What sort of boat?

C&C 35-1

I'm keeping the boat at Montrose and have been pleased with observing* the sailing scene there. I travel a lot for work and also campaign a boat in Detroit so I am spread a little thin. That being said, it is a goal of mine to try to get the boat out on the race course next season with some regularity. I really appreciate the invitation, and that is good to know about MORF - as I've been wondering what the right venue is. Since I've been here I have been racing in the T-10 fleet (what a great class!), but never see too many handicap boats out there. It sounds like different time and place perhaps.

There used to be a decent PHRF group in "Area III", but these days it's almost exclusively one design. T10, Beneteau 36.7, etc.

I posted this a while ago, but a fairly recent summary of participation/popularity for Area III races.

post-301-0-01836100-1469603970_thumb.jpeg

I posted this a while ago, but a fairly recent summary of participation/popularity for Area III races.

That's pretty pathetic. Everywhere I look there are race boats?

May I have your permission to share this image?

Share away. Note that it's 2015, the CYC Race to Mackinac was excluded (the premier event), and it's only Area III - there's club racing, MORF, beer cans, dinghy racing, etc. The main reason I did the summary was to verify how port to ports are way more popular than buoy racing. Like everywhere, racers are getting (way) older and new blood (owners, crew, boats) isn't close to keeping up. The few areas I've seen that claim to be growing sail racing have done so in recent years (less than 10?), the longer term story is one of decline pretty much everywhere...

Share away. Note that it's 2015, the CYC Race to Mackinac was excluded (the premier event), and it's only Area III - there's club racing, MORF, beer cans, dinghy racing, etc. The main reason I did the summary was to verify how port to ports are way more popular than buoy racing. Like everywhere, racers are getting (way) older and new blood (owners, crew, boats) isn't close to keeping up. The few areas I've seen that claim to be growing sail racing have done so in recent years (less than 10?), the longer term story is one of decline pretty much everywhere...

Why include the Queens Cup? Isn't SSYC in Area II?

Why include the Queens Cup? Isn't SSYC in Area II?

Fair point. I included it because the QC is a big race that many Area III boats do...

People still in Harbor Springs and delivering boats back. It's a bit soon, don't you think?

USCG Rules are the toughest in the world.

That said, with the 6-pack license, all that is needed is a USCG licensed captain. The 6-pack boats like this are not inspected by the Coast Guard.

I'm glad that Shamaila and Cassandra are calling for stricter inspection procedures for 'time share programs'. Also, I'm sure Shamaila and Cassandra were quite dismayed to find out that Sean Swank was time sharing the powerboat, and not the owner of the boat; 'Like, what a bummer, right?'

Kind of a sad reality. It also goes to how Michigan City screwed the pooch with the Tri-State, after years of grumbling by the fleet about how they were treated at MC with no improvements many boats voted with their feet and started the Bi-State. It is next to impossible now to get those boats back to do the 3 legs.

I assume this been beaten to death in the past, but I can't seem to find the right search term to bring up an SA thread on ORR. Is there some good reason CYC uses ORR certs exclusively, for example the Verve Cup?

I assume this been beaten to death in the past, but I can't seem to find the right search term to bring up an SA thread on ORR. Is there some good reason CYC uses ORR certs exclusively, for example the Verve Cup?

Well, for one thing CYC was involved in the creation of ORR.

Yes, it's actually quite simple. CYC along with the Transpac YC and Cruising Club of America developed and own the ORR (previously AmeriCap) rating rule. They paid lots of money to develop it and want to get their money's worth. With all 3 of the biggest, highest profile long distance races in America under the same rating rule, it helps boats to only have to optimize for one rule. That said, from the CYC side of this equation, they have a mandate to only use ORR in any race run by CYC. The only exception to this is Chicago NOOD. Since Sailing World has a similar mandate to always use PHRF in their regattas, CYC and SW offer both PHRF and ORR at the NOOD.

Bottom line, they own it and paid good money for it therefore, must use it.

Actually a few of your key statement about ORR & its relationship to CYC are just plain wrong.

1) ORR is owned by Offshore Racing Association (ORA), not CYC or any other Yacht Club.

2) CYC has never paid any money to develop ORR. Initial development money for Americap/ORR came from individual donors.

Bottom line, CYC does not own ORR & did not pay any money for it; therefore, CYC could chose a different rule in the future.

Actually a few of your key statement about ORR & its relationship to CYC are just plain wrong.

1) ORR is owned by Offshore Racing Association (ORA), not CYC or any other Yacht Club.

2) CYC has never paid any money to develop ORR. Initial development money for Americap/ORR came from individual donors.

Bottom line, CYC does not own ORR & did not pay any money for it; therefore, CYC could chose a different rule in the future.

Please clarify; the developers of Americap/ORR are members of what yacht club?

Hey, if you did the Chi-Mac and your name is Chuck, and you lost your red 2002 Mt. Gay Chi-Mac hat...It showed up in front of my house today. 312 area code, so Chicago.

PM me.

It's kinda wet.

Please clarify; the developers of Americap/ORR are members of what yacht club?

It's in the link.

http://www.offshoreracingrule.org/about-us/committee

You're an idiot if you actually believe that statement. As long as ORR exists, CYC cannot and will not score the Chicago Mac race under any other rating rule.

You do realize who you are replying to, right?

You may want to recind the idiot thing.

never posted a pic on SA before, am I missing something or is it not intuitive? (pic of the power boat at Crowley's that was getting bashed up against the wall in the video above)

I thought this was an anonymous forum? While the person making the statement may be Einsteins twin brother, my comment about CYC ever using a different rating rule for the Mac Race before ORR dies a slow death stands as written.

I thought this was an anonymous forum? While the person making the statement may be Einsteins twin brother, my comment about CYC ever using a different rating rule for the Mac Race before ORR dies a slow death stands as written.

Fast Laser is correct and is in a position to know, as am I. CYC has no obligation to stay with ORR, written or otherwise. There is never unanimity around rating rule selection and we have tried to run the race consistently and for what we think fairly handicaps the fleet that we have without relagating the old dogs to an uncompetitive status. We have also chosen to remove local political bias from the rating process, thus no PHRF. We don't not engineer the VPP. We do have a representative in the ORR committee and I am on the technical committee, we none of us controls the VPP. We care exclusively about the welfare of the race, not the welfare of the rule and at least up till now the ORR rule remains viable and growing, although slowly.

Ron White

Chief Measurer

CYC Race to Mackinac

boy the Solent is a fun place to sail

https://youtu.be/X3nThVJc-1M

Damn straight,

Mid summer racing on the Solent ....., better be sure you have foul weather gear, and that its in good shape.

Kashmir was the Chicago boat right?

boy the Solent is a fun place to sail https://youtu.be/X3nThVJc-1M

Damn straight,

Mid summer racing on the Solent ....., better be sure you have foul weather gear, and that its in good shape.

Kashmir was the Chicago boat right?

Correct, we had a blast over there.

Down about 5% overall, but still a lot of events with (very) low turnout.

You missed COLORS, which has had a consistent turnout of the high 70s-mid 80s since at least 2012

How many regattas or day races do the folks asking about falling participation do?

Also missed RYF. J/105s are doing a couple of RYF races this year instead of some COLYC stuff.

Down about 5% overall, but still a lot of events with (very) low turnout.

You missed COLORS, which has had a consistent turnout of the high 70s-mid 80s since at least 2012
Yes, I shoulda included COLORS...

Turns out it is true.

RIP Wally O. You were a true gentleman and we will miss you.

A couple of us 105's got some good practice in on Friday afternoon plus we got great seats to watch some M32 racing before they got called in.

Ridiculously awesome racing on the white circle on Saturday and Sunday, saw a little bit of everything including one of the tightest finishes I've ever seen.

I assume Wally was Irish Driver. Horrible loss as he was always knowledgeable and never said a bad word. I always wanted to have a beer with him at Columbia (CYC is too expensive) and trade stories. The good they do die young.

He was Irish driver. No beer for Wally, though.

He had an interesting history. You would have enjoyed the conversation. I always did.

Boo 3 Cribs cancelled today, little premature in my eyes. We went out and had a great sail.

Informal poll... do races get scrapped to often and early here now days.

Yes. We went paddle boarding. Seemed a little early to call it.

Also seemed like a bad day to schedule the 3 crib Fiasco against a mob of spectator boats along the West-favored race course.

Boo 3 Cribs cancelled today, little premature in my eyes. We went out and had a great sail.

Yes.

Why do they get cancelled so fast?

Big breeze sailing is fun, and one can not expect to get good at it if we cancel racing when it climbs over 20 kts. It is the Skippers discretion f they go out, why no offer the opportunity for the passionate fools that like inclement weather an opportunity to get better.

As a part time member of RC for the Frostbiting series I understand why on certain days for the little boats but big boats...

Yes...and sadly this mentality is lately pervasive and has propagated to my crew. Sail only when it is nearly perfect. After a down shift on the Mac, when I got on deck I found no head sail put up. Why? "We are waiting for the storm" said the watch captain. My reaction was "If the wind picks up we can take the sail down..." I was overruled. We spent 90 minutes without a head sail.

To sail well in the tough stuff, you need to experience the tough stuff.

I think we are stuck between 2 things. I think we have storms, more than too much wind. \

On Friday of the Verve we had storms. We got sent out. Too stormy. We bitched. (They tried, I appreciate it)

Here, particularly, there is almost always storms with wind.

Rarely do we have just too much wind.

I can see the trepidation associated with an RC sending a fleet out into a potentially dangerous storm, even one that hasn't developed yet. If the National Weather Service places us in a 'potentially unstable atmosphere' I agree with the hold, unfortunately.

If there were a day with just rain and wind, I think we would get sent out; it's the risk of storms that keeps us in.

We have some tenacious weather here, eh?

JC

We did a 30nm delivery on the Verve Friday afternoon, and a 38nm out and back race the day of the 3 Crib. No problems at all, though last Sat was a real downpour (saw peak AWS of 31, so highest wind maybe 25 kts TWS?). But we were responsible for ourselves.

Rhodes 19 fleet completed Nationals on Friday,

Fleet went out before the storm, went back in again (with a few exceptions who rode it out) and come back out after it blew through.

Of course I understand why it was maybe too much for 30-60ft offshore boats, they really not designed for that sort of thing :)

Everyone is a hard ass when it comes to "dock" talk,...and how WE should've, could've stayed out or gone out to race.

We all know the ones that are hard core enough and skilled enough to get through the heavy shit...

This is anecdotal but I truly believe that in the Chicago area there has been an increasing trend of canceling racing for little reason. Not only when the weather is projected to be “bad” or “heavy” but also when it is said to be too “light” or too “shifty” to get off a “perfect” race. Granted that every decision must stand on its own, however, the cumulative effect is that we do a lot less racing and we are ill prepared (lack of experience) to do more. As a consequence more and more race committees and skippers are willing to cancel or accept cancelations as a norm.

In fact I believe that one should practice in heavy weather. While I did not take my boat into a Storm Warning conditions for practice, I have, in the past gone out in 30 kts. So we should race, and let each skipper and crew decide the limits of their own capability. If the necessity of a long rode to keep a committee boat holding leads to an imperfect starting line, so what. In the 40 plus years that I have been racing in Chicago, I can remember only a couple of sinkings and those had to do with collisions not the weather. Spars down is another story.

I had the good fortune to be invited by a British Skipper (and crew) to do a Cowes Week and a Fastnet. That boat did almost nothing but long offshore races and the entire crew were very experienced. Each of them had thousands of miles of Gale Force and Storm Force sailing, cruising racing and deliveries. They knew how to manage heavy weather because they did it frequently. That experience made a permanent impression on me.

We do ourselves a disservice by not sailing (prudently) in bad weather.

My .02cents

Robin

• Like 1

I hear you ProOC we all have an idea of who can and cant and there is a lot of "fish" tales that get shared on the dock but as Robin points out "We do ourselves a disservice by not sailing (prudently) in bad weather."

• Like 1

Right on Robin. Local races can be seen as the training ground for things like the Queen's Cup, Mackinac, Chicago to St. Joe where once away from land, and overnight, anything can happen on the water. If you don't train in daylight under heavy winds, just how well does it work out when the wind pipes overnight in something like the Mac? This year 20 boats didn't cross the finish line, or about 6% of the fleet And the remainder of the fleet had a number of blown sails, etc.

This is anecdotal but I truly believe that in the Chicago area there has been an increasing trend of canceling racing for little reason. Not only when the weather is projected to be “bad” or “heavy” but also when it is said to be too “light” or too “shifty” to get off a “perfect” race. Granted that every decision must stand on its own, however, the cumulative effect is that we do a lot less racing and we are ill prepared (lack of experience) to do more. As a consequence more and more race committees and skippers are willing to cancel or accept cancelations as a norm.

In fact I believe that one should practice in heavy weather. While I did not take my boat into a Storm Warning conditions for practice, I have, in the past gone out in 30 kts. So we should race, and let each skipper and crew decide the limits of their own capability. If the necessity of a long rode to keep a committee boat holding leads to an imperfect starting line, so what. In the 40 plus years that I have been racing in Chicago, I can remember only a couple of sinkings and those had to do with collisions not the weather. Spars down is another story.

I had the good fortune to be invited by a British Skipper (and crew) to do a Cowes Week and a Fastnet. That boat did almost nothing but long offshore races and the entire crew were very experienced. Each of them had thousands of miles of Gale Force and Storm Force sailing, cruising racing and deliveries. They knew how to manage heavy weather because they did it frequently. That experience made a permanent impression on me.

We do ourselves a disservice by not sailing (prudently) in bad weather.
My .02cents
Robin

• Like 1

Do you know of anyone who archived Area III race results going back to say 1975 or 1970? Or someone who liked to crunch numbers like MidPack and kept a table or spreadsheet of the races and the number of entries or starters? My old Chicago Yachting Association "Yachting in Chicago" magazines only reports 1st - 3rd for each race, no results deeper than that.

Thanks in advance.

Do you know of anyone who archived Area III race results going back to say 1975 or 1970? Or someone who liked to crunch numbers like MidPack and kept a table or spreadsheet of the races and the number of entries or starters? My old Chicago Yachting Association "Yachting in Chicago" magazines only reports 1st - 3rd for each race, no results deeper than that.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps someone (or YC) has a stash of the old "Wake of the Fleet" newsletters that Frank Heyes used to publish every week. I recall getting them until the late 80's/early 90's ?

I recently found a bunch that I had when unpacking boxes after moving (no idea where they are now, sorry), and I recall that for the typical Area 3 race on a Sat/Sun in the late 70's to late 80's, there would be about 4-5 sections with about 18-24 boats in each. There were some years where there were MHS, LMR, and IOR "divisions" with about 2-3 sections in each of them with ~15-20 boats,. So anecdotally speaking at least, we would easily get 100+ boats out each weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps someone (or YC) has a stash of the old "Wake of the Fleet" newsletters that Frank Heyes used to publish every week. I recall getting them until the late 80's/early 90's ?

I recently found a bunch that I had when unpacking boxes after moving (no idea where they are now, sorry), and I recall that for the typical Area 3 race on a Sat/Sun in the late 70's to late 80's, there would be about 4-5 sections with about 18-24 boats in each. There were some years where there were MHS, LMR, and IOR "divisions" with about 2-3 sections in each of them with ~15-20 boats,. So anecdotally speaking at least, we would easily get 100+ boats out each weekend.

Wow I remember "Wake of the Fleet". We used to call it "Flake of the Week".

Thanks in advance.

Wow I remember "Wake of the Fleet". We used to call it "Flake of the Week".

Put together by none other than Frank Heyes who was head of the Sports Section at the Chicago Tribune. Hell, he used to print the race results from the weekend called in from the various yacht clubs in the Chicago Tribune Sports Section on Sundays and Mondays.

Thanks in advance.

Nicholas Hayes maybe? No one in current Area III admin has older records?

Thanks in advance.

Nicholas Hayes maybe? No one in current Area III admin has older records?

A3 race results were done by computer since the 1970s. The last system used before 2000 was a DOS based system, and it was used for a long time. However it wasn't Y2K compliant. Starting in 2000 a web based system was implemented and all results since then are online. I'm looking into whether the old DOS system is available and presume results might be on floppy discs.

As luck would have it I threw out my entire collection of In Wake of The Fleet over the last winter. However, the publication was purchased by, during Frank Heyes' lifetime, Kathleen Gallagher and she continued to publish it for a number of years. She may have all of the records.

Robin

As luck would have it I threw out my entire collection of In Wake of The Fleet over the last winter. However, the publication was purchased by, during Frank Heyes' lifetime, Kathleen Gallagher and she continued to publish it for a number of years. She may have all of the records.

Robin

Good lead. Thanks. Could you imagine scanning all of those via PDF and putting them online? That's a project and a half.

In trying to reconstruct from the In Wake of the Fleet records, of particular interest should be the Boat of the Year edition, always at the end of the year because it also contained the calculations for the Silver Bowl trophies created by Frank Heyes (and carried on by Kathleen G) that were based on fleet award of percentage of boats beaten in your fleet. I wont go into the details but it effectively has numbers for season long participation for the various fleets. IOR, MHS, IMS, PHRF, LMYA and years when there were two fleets for the same system, each in turn. At least two of the trophies were donated by now defunct sailing retailers, Port Supply and Chicago Yachting and Navigation.

robin

What memories Joe!

Who won the 1 tons in Chicago that year?

Cooter did - Mark Ploch driving (UK sails). Other top boats were Tuff Enuff (Kolius program, but w/ OJ Yong driving), Pendragon (John McLaurin's boat from SF, with Kimo), Sky Hie, the brand new Spitfire (with Eric and Perry on board) was 6th (best Chicago boat - we were next best at 11th). Also I think Regradless (new-ish NM design) was in the top 10 along iwht Moonraker (Nils sailed with Lowell that year). I think Slip Slidign Away was doing Sardinia that summer instead?

Where are the Chi - St Joe results posted? In this day and age it shiukd not be difficult to find this information.

Another great Chicago to St Joe Tri State leg Fri night, with 110 boats entered - more than any other Area III race again this year! A tough upwind slog all the way with winds clocking all night, going (very) light just before daybreak. Beautiful starry skies all night, you just can't see that on land. Capped by the best (biggest?) regatta party on Lake Michigan, put on by the St Joe River Yacht Club - a real season end treat for sailors. Thanks SJRYC - your hospitality is appreciated.

And based on the results posted, it looks like the Bi State return leg Sun was a quick downwind ride! The Tri State leg to Mich City was a moderate air reach, and their party was am improvement over past years.

All in all another great Tri/Bi State weekend.

What a fun fast upwind one tack ride to St Joe and one short gybe downwind zip across for the finish on Sunday.

That band this year was hilarious and good. Which boat wants to lay claim to the big dancing fool that started on tables then made it to the stage?

In other news,

I skipped the race across the Lake this year due to Circus being on the hard.

Got asked to race on a B36.7 for NAC out of Belmont. Great 4 days of weather, excellent race management, excellent social activities at Belmont after racing each day.

Free beer and endless hot apps, then daily awards each day.

Very nice event by the Beneteau 36.7 fleet and CYC.

results here:

http://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=1639

It's always sweet when a Detroit team dominates in chi town. Nice job Grizzly!!

It's always sweet when a Detroit team dominates in chi town.

Stay classy Detroit, stay classy. smh