Grinder

Chicago Area III

Goblin #4 = Condor #5. We had to have it up at some point, no?

The blade! That thing was a hero out in Cabo...should we bring it for Cork week 2012 Murph or wait until you cave in and move to Chi-town permanently?

Why dont you just bring the boat...????........

need to look at this thing more often.....

On Sunday we had a great day of practice. Thank you to PK4 and EW for coming out to play. Racing would have been much too difficult to those conditions ;)

We had a fun afternoon on the water. Probably should have done more of a 'practice' than we did. We and two other T-10's went out and did a few short races with rabbit starts. The upwind tune-up was great, but turning the corner and putting up our chute the first time raised my blood pressure, just a bit. Fortunately, we kept it together and didn't destroy anything (or anyone). I think we only jibed once, the entire afternoon...

How late was everyone out? On EW we headed in right as the winds picked up into the 30s and those dark clouds rolled in.

Grinder, where'd Imedi practice at? How are the arms feelin?

How late was everyone out? On EW we headed in right as the winds picked up into the 30s and those dark clouds rolled in.

Grinder, where'd Imedi practice at? How are the arms feelin?

We headed in around 2pm. Ever see a T-10 go 11kts with a jib up?

We were at SA 7. We set up a nice start line, a la deadliest catch bouy throwing. Did 3 w/l's & beat everyone. Great day out there. Imedi hit 16.6 kts, then it got a bit 'sporty'. Thanks to Lincmo for having 4 Goblin guys out. The boat & prodder are awesome. He also had some frosty beverages for us, too.

We saw ew's & the Sydneys going around 4 mi crib.

Area III Racers,

Start the 2011 season off with a bang. This weekend is the CCYC Edwin Reinholtzen Spring Opener and Olympic Cup Races. As in past years the Spring Opener is on the CCYC Olympic Circle at SA1 using the fixed marks. After the race rafting privileges will be extended for entered yachts along the wall by the club in Montrose Harbor, contact our harbor master for details. We plan on having people out there to grab your dock lines. The Sunday Olympic Cup will be W/L using drop marks and is also started at SA1. See LMSRF.org for official notices and further details.

The CCYC Spring Splash Season Opener Party will be held after Saturday's racing.

Kids’ Activities from 4:00PM to 6:00PM.

Wine Tasting from 4:00PM to 6:00PM.

Dinner buffet starts at 5:00 PM.

Entertainment from about 8:00PM to midnight. with the band "The West Side Winders." 

The usual $1.00 drafts and $3.00 “Dark N’ Stormy’s. Free on street parking. The club will be open all weekend for its annual Al Spiller Memorial Membership drive.  Please drop in and look over what Corinthian has to offer- you may want to join!  Racers who sign up for the Spring Opener and the Olympic Cup, held on Sunday, will get a $20.00 coupon for use at the club on Saturday. See the attachment for more details on the party.

See you there

Yachtsman

SpringSplashSeasonOpener2011Flyer.pdf

Skipper/Crew Boatname Bow/Sail# Class/Division Hometown Yacht Club

36. GEORGE PETKOVIC 80 80 PHRF CHICAGO, IL USA none of your business

Classic as always...great stuff

NOOD is starting to look interesting

Imedi

Natalie J

Merlin

Talisman

Bretwalda 3

Defiance

Yup...

1. Leif Sigmond Norboy 183 Tartan Ten Riverwoods, IL USA Chicago Yacht Club

2. Lou Jacob Skidmarks 40900 Tartan Ten Chicago, IL USA Columbia Yacht Club

3. Patrick McGuinnis Brogue 26321 Tartan Ten South Milwaukee, WI USA South Shore Yacht Club

4. Steve & Bob Karstrand/Warnecke LIGHTNING 402 Tartan Ten Hickory Hills, IL USA Columbia Yacht Club

5. Jeff Wittenberg Sisu 30131 Tartan Ten Palos Park, Illinois USA Columbia

6. Simon Beemsterboer silver surfer 007 Tartan Ten mokena, il USA CYC

7. Jay Spalding Alibi 30829 Tartan Ten Flower Mound, TX USA GSC

8. Jeffery Cross Out of the Blue 345 Tartan Ten Barrington, IL USA Chicago Yacht Club

9. Chris Moll Blueprint 26215 Tartan Ten Fox Point, WI USA SSYC

10. Arthur Strilky wombat 30246 Tartan Ten chicago, illinois USA columbia

11. Todd Hildwein JAWS 40433 Tartan Ten CHICAGO, IL USA Chicago Yacht Club

12. Waldemar Emmerich Yellow Mellow 26349 Tartan Ten Chicago, IL USA CCYC

13. Steve Knoop American Flyer 33882 Tartan Ten Barrington Hills, IL USA CYC

14. Martin Plonus Tango 32101 Tartan Ten Evanston, IL USA CYC

15. Rick & Mary Ann Lillie Waterworks 26302 Tartan Ten Chicago, IL USA CYC

16. Bruce Lamotte Glider 31541 Tartan Ten Chicago, IL USA Columbia Yacht Club

17. Andrea Krasinski Pegasus 30718 Tartan Ten Chicago, Ill USA CCYC

18. Mark Croll Retention 410 Tartan Ten Chicago, IL USA Chicago Yacht Club

19. Philip Igoe VITE 26314 Tartan Ten CHICAGO, IL USA CHICAGO YACHT CLUB

20. Arvid eiesland Wild Norwegian 403 Tartan Ten glenview, il USA ccyc

21. David Finlay Jing Bang 411 Tartan Ten Naperville, Ill USA Chicago Yacht Club

22. Tim Rathbun Winnebago 26300 Tartan Ten Joliet, IL USA Columbia

23. Karen Barch Mikaze 348 Tartan Ten Chicago, IL USA Corinthian

24. John Schellenbach Mutiny 311 Tartan Ten Chicago, IL USA Chicago Yacht Club

25. Steven Fink Rainbows End 26340 Tartan Ten Skokie, IL USA Chicago Corinthian YC

26. Kevin Mehaffey Talisman 26301 Tartan Ten Arlington Heights, IL USA Chicago Yacht Club

27. Ken Colbert Rover 30328 Tartan Ten Chicago, IL USA Chicago Yacht Club

28. David Brezina Ratty 26327 Tartan Ten Chicago, IL USA CCYC

29. Amy/Brian Cermak/Tjader T Time USA 26305 Tartan Ten Zion, IL USA Kenosha Yacht Club

what a great day on the water yesterday, the 111 is a pretty sweet ride.

I saw the J 111 Night Hawk

A couple 36.7's; Sail Monkey, Fog, and possibly Endearvor?

A hand full of T-10's followed by skidmark (couldn't resist)

Calienti?

Scout

But no Chicken Wings, Pain Giver, or El Gae(lic)

You did see Endeavor out practicing on Sunday! But it wasn't the 36.7 it was the Bene 38 practicing for the cruising Mac - 8.8kts on the reach in to the club.

I think we scared the owners a little bit because they reefed the mast roller main after a couple of minutes of fun!

Felt great to be out on the water Sunday.

36.7s raced Sat at Belmont, we had 12 boats out there on the line and got in 2 races before the wind died, it was a blast. Got to try out my new GoPro HD Hero cam, shot some good videos of it all.

Drove up Lake Shore drive this evening took an hour to go from Randolph to Fullerton. I forgot how much I hate that drive. I did have the opportunity to do a parade review of the boats in Monroe & DuSable and it looks as if Big Country has the biggest stick in the harbor. I'm sure Ike is happy about that.

How many pros will there be in this years Chicago NOOD?

Who's flying (driving) in ringers?

I'm flying myself in to sail with some ringers.

Besides the party Saturday night at CCYC Montrose and after racing at the SA1 Metro Olympic Course,

Here a couple of things happening this weekend on the Lake front.

Here's a plug for the Chicago Match Racing Center.

*Chicago, IL* -On Sunday May 29, the *Chicago Match Race Center* invites all

Chicagoans to come down to the lakefront at*Belmont Harbor* to watch a

match race sailing competition that will take place just yards from shore.

From 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. on Sunday, watch the Finals of the *Spring

Invitational Regatta, *featuring expert commentary explaining the racing,

food carts to grab a snack and a half mile of pristine lakefront to soak up

some rays and enjoy the beauty of Chicago in the summer.

Ten teams are entered and ready to compete at this 2011 season opener event

at the CMRC. The teams vary broadly in age and experience for the ISAF Grade

3 event, from unranked newcomers to defending champions, all getting an

opportunity to face off against each other in CMRC's 8 equally-matched*TOM

28* class keelboats.

"We are excited to offer this unique Memorial Day activity to Chicago,"

said *Tod Reynolds, Program Director* at CMRC. "Unlike 99% of sailing that

takes place miles offshore, this event will take place just a few yards from

an ideal spectating venue, with equally-matched pairs of boats battling it

out to see who will go home victorious. This racing is more similar to

NASCAR or boxing than stereotypical sailing."

Joining in on the shoreside action is the Trapeze School New York-Chicago, a

new fixture on the Chicago lakefront for 2011. They are dedicated to making

the flying trapeze available to anyone who seeks inspiration, challenge,

fitness or just a couple hours of unique fun. They offer classes, workshops,

parties and events. For the "Get out to the Lake Festival", TSNY-Chicago

will be putting on demonstrations of their course offerings.

*Sail Chicago* and 3 of Chicago's most active yacht clubs -*Chicago Yacht

Club, Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club *and*Columbia Yacht Club *- offer

numerous programs to sailors and power boaters of all ages and abilities,

while the *Judd Goldman Sailing Program of the Chicago Park District*focuses

on adaptive and junior sailing. All of these organizations will be on hand

with information on how to get involved.

More than just a season opener, the Spring Invitational will also determine

the *2011 Lake Michigan Match Race Champion*from among the top-finishing

Lake Michigan Sail Racing Federation competitors, with the top 2 LMSRF teams

also earning invitations to the *Richardson Trophy Match Racing Championship

*, at CMRC October 8-9, 2011. The highest-placed finisher will also receive

an invitation to the *US Match Racing Championship*, to be held a week later

in Corona del Mar, CA October 12-16, 2011. Seven of the 10 teams in this

field are eligible to qualify for these slots.

Racing is scheduled to start daily Saturday-Sunday, May 28-29 at 9 A.M. on

courses set off the park seawall at South Belmont Harbor. Real-time results

and videos can be found on the CMRC website and live text updates can be

followed on Twitter @matchracecenter.

Re the cmrc event for the weekend, it sucks it is during a 2race day weekend. Probably over 100 sailors who would go watch will be on the water otherwise occupied. I'd watch, but will be racing.

Traffic alert! Sunday morning is the annual Bike the Drive event, if you're coming downtown plan accordingly.

And Monroe Street garage is apparently closed for the entire season.

And Monroe Street garage is apparently closed for the entire season.

Where is a good Alt. for NOOD/Verve ??(I am assuming your talking about the garage across from CYC everyone parks in for events)

thanks

Where is a good Alt. for NOOD/Verve ??(I am assuming your talking about the garage across from CYC everyone parks in for events)

thanks

Yup saw it on the Westrec website this morning. They suggest Millenium garage or Du Sable lots as alternates. Haven't been there and had to park yet myself this season, with all of the summer festivals and such coming, you would think summer would be a really bad time to close that garage though.

Doesn't it seem like it has been under repair for the past few seasons anyhow? There always seems to be some kind of work going on in there.

CCYC did a great job keeping the racers informed during Sunday's postponment and eventual cancelation. We appreacated the radio broadcasts and in the end they made the right call to cancel the race. Saturday's races were well run and the radio boadcasts were helpful. Thank you very much, we apprecate it.

Ike - You can talk trash about them when you are out there and can actually beat them.

Skid - I remember when a certain T-10 had to go down to Crowley's and have their bottom redone mid season... Maybe you should pass along your horror story as words of wisdom.

Juice boxes for everyone, we're all winners!

Love you both,

Blubbs.

I thought the irony was obvious, but since some people need to have everything spelled out, thanks for pointing that out in such a sobering fashion.

Ditto Skid. Once, HOWL endured this lovely experience that even backing down during the middle of a race can't even change.

Otherwise shut the fuck up Blubber. When you buy a boat - and you don't scrub the bottom for two-three weeks - then and only then - can you suggest what we say to other furry club members.

Anyway, shouldn't you be working on Eddie's english version of the SI's? Seems yours need editing.

Welcome to the club.

Maybe it is time to revisit Raven's +6 rating...now that SB's friend who signed off on the rating has passed on (RIP)...a stripped out Tripp 43 getting 24 seconds from a 47 foot racer/cruiser? Come on...

Maybe it is time to revisit Raven's +6 rating...now that SB's friend who signed off on the rating has passed on (RIP)...a stripped out Tripp 43 getting 24 seconds from a 47 foot racer/cruiser? Come on...

What's funny is that boat rated faster than that on the LIS. In my experience, ratings are a little faster in area III. example, the DK 46 rates around -15 in the LIS but -33 in area III. Using that math the tripp should rate -9 or so.

Somehow, I don't think even LMPHRF gives a credit for dragging a carpet around the race course.

Somehow, I don't think even LMPHRF gives a credit for dragging a carpet around the race course.

That is why the men and women of Skidmarks are all clean-shaven. In addition to being faster, it also reduces occurrences of the gold bond "nutcake." I have mixed feelings about that, of course.

"Sailors, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"

-the other Rodney

It's early in the season and so what if one of us has a hairy bottom...

That is why the men and women of Skidmarks are all clean-shaven. In addition to being faster, it also reduces occurrences of the gold bond "nutcake." I have mixed feelings about that, of course.

I heard Raven was slow on the race coarse, but at least they were out there giving it there best like everyone else. Congrats to all that were out there racing.... Wish I could have been there.

Love to you all

The Cat.

Fuck off Newbie...almost 2 years and 5 posts??? Nobody drives Raven like I did...I AM the Irishdriver, my nickname given to me by a 4 time Olympian... :P

ID

SB, is that you?? I love Raven, just not the '06 Mac when we were winning and you wouldn't put up a kite...

Let it go Wally.

House Cat, come back and sail with us misfits.

Okay Rod..I'm Irish, I have a problem with letting it go. "I won't do the Mac unless you're there Stan..." Sound familiar?

Very familiar, I stand by it.

Given the same situation my decision would still be the same - owners goes or I won't go.

We don't all have to agree, or see things the same regarding personal safety, financial situation, responsibilities or whatever matters that it takes to decide whether to do a race or not.

tongue.gif

Fuck off Newbie...almost 2 years and 5 posts??? Nobody drives Raven like I did...I AM the Irishdriver, my nickname given to me by a 4 time Olympian... :P

ID

Wish I could come back and sail the season with all of you "misfits" you guys are the best!. wub.gif

SB, is that you?? I love Raven, just not the '06 Mac when we were winning and you wouldn't put up a kite...

Let it go Wally.

House Cat, come back and sail with us misfits.

thanks

Yup saw it on the Westrec website this morning. They suggest Millenium garage or Du Sable lots as alternates. Haven't been there and had to park yet myself this season, with all of the summer festivals and such coming, you would think summer would be a really bad time to close that garage though.

Doesn't it seem like it has been under repair for the past few seasons anyhow? There always seems to be some kind of work going on in there.

Thanks for the heads up, will look into for NOOD, I am sure there will be plenty of people searching for space Friday the 10th...

tongue.gif

ID

It must be hard to be humble when you are as good as you... think you are...

hc...how's flounder doing?

tongue.gif

ID

It must be hard to be humble when you are as good as you... think you are...

hc...how's flounder doing?

Flounder is well we are thinking of joining the vanguard fleet in Marina del ray. UCLA will let you take theirs out with a MAC membership and certification. Just something to do together.

I apologize to my comments, to anyone that took personal offense.

Several tough days encompassed the timeframe of my posts, and for that

I was mistaken to write anything concerning certain issues. This is not the forum

nor the format for such...there are more appropriate avenues in these matters.

ID

I was mistaken to write anything concerning certain issues. This is not the forum

ID

ID,

SOP is that all apologies come with a round of drinks.

Cheers,

Chaos

ID

Hope you're feeling better. Meet you at the Buzz for drinks... maybe not what Chaos was thinking of ;)

Some douchebag powerboater on DuSable B-dock insisted that Nightmare was coming back to Chicago. Could this be true?

It is now white and last I heard was going to sit in in the shed this summer, renamed Blondie (again). It was a few boats from yours in Muskegon.

Some douchebag powerboater on DuSable B-dock insisted that Nightmare was coming back to Chicago. Could this be true?

It is now white and last I heard was going to sit in in the shed this summer, renamed Blondie (again). It was a few boats from yours in Muskegon.

Not sure about the rename as the boat has no name on it right now. There are no plans for it to sail in the lakes in 2011. When she returns to the water I do not believe she will be going to Chicago, but is possible.

some of the Farr40s will be out tomorrow playing to get ready for COLORS

No Farr 40's signed up for Colors!?!

I see at least 5 F40 OD's signed up fpr the colors.

Colors 2011 Entries

Oh 1D, I see now. Overlooked it and went straight for the PHRF.

The M32?

I thought I heard that the 70 was going into the Warpath collection.

I assumed the 70 is what the DB PB was talking about.

Thanks, Matt. How's the selling of FL?

Anyone looking for a Main trimmer/and or helmsman this weekend for COLORS? I just found out we're not racing, as at the last minute the bow guy/s will be OOT..?!?!?!

Let me know, as I am the best sailor I know (of)... ;)

ID

COLORS what to expect.

Right now. Friday 2AM the forecast is for light fluky typical Area III winds. Hopefully, the sun will be out in full force to drive an easterly thermal early on. Shouldn’t take too much since the lake is unusually cold. Last two weekends the races at Belmont were really difficult to run and no doubt this will be another one. We’ll do our best to change courses as the wind dictates and if needed shorten and in worst case postpone /abandon.

With 9 sections and most sections with 4-6 boats, we will definitely combine sections at the starts. Listen to Ch 78 and keep an eye on the flags. No doubt we will use gates, but maybe not offsets. Fast turn arounds will be key. Our aim is not wait for all sections to finish before starting a new sequence. Once we have an entire section finished, we will attempt to restart that section asap. So for any subsequent race races keep an eye on the flags and listen to Ch 78 as it is likely we may start your section out of sequence. This is the only way to run efficiently and our goal

The Columbia RC crew is in a great rebuilding year with a lot of fresh younger people. However, we will not take that to be an excuse for not performing, since enough of us old timers did survive this winter and will be serving and teaching.

Columbia Race Committee

So if we screw up, it’s on me. We did OK, it’s on all of us

Thanks, Matt. How's the selling of FL?

It's getting some interest. I have one guy going to look at it in the next few days, and another that may set up a trip to see her next week. No offers, but word is getting around.

Colors 2011 Entries

So there's 5 'phantom' entries now? Ha! :)

No, there are 5 "real" entries signed up. Same as the "real" entries in the T-10 and PHRF classes. More than the "real" entries in the ORR and J111 classes. Most, if not all of us, will be out practicing and tuning this afternoon.

See you out there.

The M32?

I thought I heard that the 70 was going into the Warpath collection.

It is owned by the Howe family... which owns the Warpath collection, but I do not know what they plan to name Blondie... Nitemare... ???

some of the Farr40s will be out tomorrow playing to get ready for COLORS

Colors 2011 Entries

Oh 1D, I see now. Overlooked it and went straight for the PHRF.

Is Virago going to "forget" to tell you that they're going out again?

Hey TFS, I see the red haired kid is back. He just sauntered on to to dock on Wednesday.

Oh, he's back alright - don't be surprised if he starts braiding beads into his beard. Circus like.

Still love ya! Can you send that drink to LA???cool.gif

ID

Hope you're feeling better. Meet you at the Buzz for drinks... maybe not what Chaos was thinking of ;)

Props to Columbia Y.C for getting off 5 quality races in trying conditions, and for supplying good beer!