Grinder

Chicago Area III

Quick parking question for the locals. Does the DuSable Harbor lot allow overnight parking? Would hate to wake up the morning of NOOD and find my car full of gear MIA. 

There are 24 hour rates...expensive... so I am guessing if you are overnight the meter keeps running.

Safe?  Depends....but not much else out there as an option.

Safe... all depends on your definition.

that said I know multiple boats that use the lot for their boat vans/trailers to store sails and other kit. 

10 hours ago, Drifter said:

Would hate to wake up the morning of NOOD and find my car full of gear MIA. 

Maybe transfer anything valuable to the boat for the night?

Parking anywhere in Chicago - you have to keep the honest people honest. Don't leave anything on the seats or floor. Even loose change. There are two other hazards at DuSable - the white liquid run off that collects in certain places (it is very hard to remove if it gets on your car) and falling concrete. Other than that...

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

Parking anywhere in Chicago - you have to keep the honest people honest. Don't leave anything on the seats or floor. Even loose change. There are two other hazards at DuSable - the white liquid run off that collects in certain places (it is very hard to remove if it gets on your car) and falling concrete. Other than that...

Yeah I've seen both...

I always try to park in the open gap with sky between LSD.

Does the concrete fall a lot? I am worried about a baseball size chunk I've seen on the ground falling 40 feet onto my car or head!

Good Luck to everyone racing in the NOOD.

Looking forward to some great racing in the J111 class!

Congrats to John Schellenbach and the entire team on Mutiny for winning the Chicago NOOD overall... even with a 13 yo main on Saturday.

1 hour ago, ChiGuy said:

Congrats to John Schellenbach and the entire team on Mutiny for winning the Chicago NOOD overall... even with a 13 yo main on Saturday.

2nd that! Well sailed.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, blubberboy said:

Saturday's Carnage report? 

Highest wind reading? 

Red Circle we saw 28 kts.

Not bad carnage for us and our less-than-spectacular results.

Hot Sauce lost a rudder  T10

Blew out a tack on a jib...listened and watched our lead evaporate and some nice broaching action on White Circle.

Gusts topped off at 26+

Not sure what the gusts topped out at but we hit16.4kts downhill... at least that was the top number I saw on the speedo, that breeze was great on Saturday! 

Anyone doing a delivery back after Chi Mac that would like to drive a car up to the island?

15 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Wasn't it blowing hard and uphill?

we had 110 TWA.  gusty, lots of ease, hike, trim, but the lake was flat.

good time.

1 hour ago, Rum Runner said:

At least you got out of Waukegan too.

Got out of it?! I haven't done that race in 10 years! Was getting my arm twisted for Queen's Cup but I don't have it in me...

• Downvote 1

I

30 minutes ago, blubberboy said:

Wasn't it about 10 years ago someone hit one of these at the start of the Waukegan to Chicago race? 

large.buoy_lighted_green.jpg.90ac30c3146c7c3f19c8f8a8040c4330.jpg

That does sound familiar but I don't recall the details but I wasn't the one driving the Farr Bus that day or I would have remembered it more vividly!

As much as there is now a "reason" to hit the beaver, it is just too short of a hop for deliveries needing to make it down the lake.

An old Goat friend in Tempest clothing/beaver inhabitant is pushing the event and I am hoping all that do not need to bang it back down the lake to attend.

I hear he has been working on his singing and watermelon seed spitting traits and all the girls on the island are going to shave.

19 minutes ago, proOC said:

As much as there is now a "reason" to hit the beaver, it is just too short of a hop for deliveries needing to make it down the lake.

An old Goat friend in Tempest clothing/beaver inhabitant is pushing the event and I am hoping all that do not need to bang it back down the lake to attend.

I hear he has been working on his singing and watermelon seed spitting traits and all the girls on the island are going to shave.

"hit beaver"....

That's another point. Isn't the entry a little tricky? I thought there was a reef or two that needs to be navigated.

I've never been in...

• Downvote 1

Just now, stayoutofthemiddle said:

"hit beaver"....

That's another point. Isn't the entry a little tricky? I thought there was a reef or two that needs to be navigated.

I've never been in...

:ph34r:

Last year was the first delivery in five years where we skipped beaver island, it was glorious actually making some miles on Wednesday.

And it's great that Dick wants us all to come to Beaver Island but I always get the vibe that every other inhabitant of that island would prefer if we stayed the fuck away.

2 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

"hit beaver"....

I've never been in...

Been there probably 8 or 9 times since 1970, last time in the late 90's. No real issues getting in there, just pay attention. Crossing from Beaver to the Garden Peninsula/Big Bay de Noc is a bit trickier, with the shoals just west of Beaver (between Trout and Whiskey Is, and also Trout I shoal) and at the tip of Garden Pen.  

The other issue is depth in St. James harbor. it's OK by the ferry dock/Municipal Marina, but I bumped bottom (soft) more than once trying to get to a gas dock at the northern end of the harbor. It's been a while, so I can't say for sure, but if you draw 10' or more, you probably cant get into any slips/dock in St.James harbor .. maybe with the lake level at record levels it would work...

If you have the time, you should visit the Beaver Isl archipelago, including "gunkholing" around the other islands (Garden Is has a small harbor that's pretty convenient to drop hook in). If you're worried about draft, you can charter a Boston Whaler 20'-something and use that to explore. At least you were able to back in the late 90's - haven't been back since.

I remember in the late 70's a few of us got invited by some "locals" to a "party" in the woods... kegs, dope, bonfire, local kids with guitars,etc. Maybe it was the first BI Music Festival? It was easy for us to blend in back then  - we had long hair, and wore jeans and t's - no Camet shorts or Henry Loyd dry shirts to make us stand out like dweebs! Our ride to the party disappeared at some point, so we had to find out way back along a few miles of wooded dirt roads at 1AM or so. Fun adventure!

The Beaver archipelago has some pretty interesting history, from Native Americans' subsistence fishing/existence, to early Irish settlers pursuing commercial fishing and lumbering, to the Mormon settlements (and the US's only king) to present day tourism... there are lots of stories and interesting characters tied to the place. The Beaver Isl Historical Society has published numerous volumes documenting Island history - worth a read.

In the very early 70's I remember there was still a vibrant commercial fishing industry, with fishing boats going after perch and whitefish especially. There'd be fishing boats hauled out on ways outside their respective owner's "fish shacks", with nets being repaired/dried outside in the sun. Like Leland tries to pretend ti still is.

It's not that hard to incorporate Beaver into a delivery - leave Mac Wed am, be at Beaver in the late afternoon. Spend Thurs/Fri exploring Beaver, then depart Fri night to Manistee, getting there Saturday afternoon. Then hit Muskegon, St. Joe, and be in Chgo by Tues evening.  If you've been doing the Mac,and deliveries, for years and years and never visited, you owe it to yourself to do it once, draft and time permitting. The Shamrock bar is always a good time.

On 6/15/2017 at 0:35 PM, Keysrock35 said:

Anyone doing a delivery back after Chi Mac that would like to drive a car up to the island?

I might have someone driving up from Chicago on Saturday after the start.

On June 22, 2017 at 1:24 PM, blubberboy said:

Nice recap JoeO... 

We went to either Stoney Acre Grill & Pub or Donegal Danny's pub one year with a small group, including a Pommie Zulu Killer... Ole ZK sees the IRA newspaper clipping framed up on the wall in the pub, got him a little edgy. At the the dinner table, our redheaded waitress noticed his 'peculiar accent you have there'. She asked him where was home, with no hesitation,' Valparaiso, IN...'

She nodded, smiled, and took our order. 

The Erie Motel! My first bed off the boat for days... A shower, Cheap as chips. Stayed here a few times. The last time was a bit awkward. They gave me the keys to a room that was already occupied. They had the top lock on and the key wasn't work very well... So I kicked the door in. Oh lord, the screams. And seeing that poor couple pop-up from a sound sleep to see me standing in their door frame. I apologies, closed the door, and went back to the office... AS I was getting there, the clerk was getting their phone call.  I took the victim position too. 'Jesus Christ, you could have gotten me shot! Why did you send me to someone else's room!!?? The door? Oh it's fine... Now, how about my room...' 

Rent the bikes and ride around the island. 

Donegal Danny's...if I recall the framed pic was an IRA funeral where the guy in the box had died from a hunger strike at the Maze...no wonder it shut me up..

How about the night in the Shamrock where the Ass guy put his arm around the Indian women who promptly decked him and 'stuttering Roxie' the bartender jumped over the bar with a baseball bat and clubbed the Indian to the deck...Roxie hated Pocahontas because she had started a rumour that she had seen Roxie getting shagged on the bar top the night before!...

good times and good that we can still remember this shit thru the rum squalls...

For those that knew him, The Wallenator is sailing his last Mac on Saturday on PK4. Give him a wave as we pass each other.

He won't finish the race. We're dropping him off with some his friends at Can 3. At least then he can have a beer with Tom and the rest of the guys and watch us go by every year.

From PK4- Sail fast and safe. See all y'all at the Island.

1 hour ago, Teddy said:

For those that knew him, The Wallenator is sailing his last Mac on Saturday on PK4. Give him a wave as we pass each other.

He won't finish the race. We're dropping him off with some his friends at Can 3. At least then he can have a beer with Tom and the rest of the guys and watch us go by every year.

A good sailor and a good friend... Wallenator.

596919a71825f_Rags.Ethel.Wallyallcleanedup.jpg.2ba42fc929fd7e23d10162c39368add4.jpg

It was light air on Monday around 0930, Alice said as much as she could, I said the rest. I spread his ashes over the water about 60/70' away from the can and tossed the bottle at the can. When we edit the video, I'll post it for you. (Getting ready to leave for Port Huron for the other Mac.) It was nice and calm. Too calm, but it was nice for the ash spreading instead of "Drop him, we have to gybe/tack NOW!"

I'll miss Wally for a long time.

T

On 7/14/2017 at 1:03 PM, Teddy said:

Great send off.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, Grinder said:

All right.  

Who bailed, who won and who hated it?  

I bailed... about 7 years ago! ^_^

Kudos to those who kept on truckin'... almost jealous enough to come out of self-imposed exile. I was warned that after a few years I'd start talking about doing it again even tho after 25 i swore never again, no how, no way... Is there a 12 step program to fight recidivism?

16 hours ago, Grinder said:

All right.  

Well done! Good race for you guys.

First race back for me in 8 years. The uphill section after the front Sunday morning wasn't on the brochure and can hardly be classified as fun. I'm sure some liars will show up on here stating otherwise... :lol:

20 hours ago, Grinder said:

All right.  

Sailed in a boat smaller than my age for the first time.  Won, didn't hate it, and my wife didn't divorce me (her first mac).  All and all successful.

We kept goin'.  We had many conversations; Why are we doing this race?  Why don't we sign up for a race in the Caribbean instead? 

2 hours ago, Bad Andy said:

Sailed in a boat smaller than my age for the first time.  Won, didn't hate it, and my wife didn't divorce me (her first mac).  All and all successful.

Smaller than your age? You're not 89 ... yet

We had a blast on the ride North, never once did the subject of dropping out come up, even with a blown up port jib car, 10 hour hole, and two under with seasickness. 

Memorable for sure. 

Had a spectacular delivery to Macatawa, sunset from Wed evening between N and S Manitou. 

20157480_1627274573950669_5991511743744746212_o.jpg

2 hours ago, 12345 said:

We had a blast on the ride North, never once did the subject of dropping out come up, even with a blown up port jib car, 10 hour hole, and two under with seasickness. 

Memorable for sure. 

Had a spectacular delivery to Macatawa, sunset from Wed evening between N and S Manitou. 

20157480_1627274573950669_5991511743744746212_o.jpg

Nice pic. I heard the crazy sunsets we are currently are getting have something to do with Canadian wildfires and dust particle in the upper atmosphere. Not sure how accurate that is but sounds plausible...

3 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Nice pic. I heard the crazy sunsets we are currently are getting have something to do with Canadian wildfires and dust particle in the upper atmosphere. Not sure how accurate that is but sounds plausible...

What ever it was it was incredible. 

Looked like a nice weekend from the pictures.  Were the numbers up or down from previous years.  Seemed like more J111s, J109s, less 40.7s, 36.7s.  Farr 40s, ORR boats.

56 minutes ago, bowduude said:

Looked like a nice weekend from the pictures.  Were the numbers up or down from previous years.  Seemed like more J111s, J109s, less 40.7s, 36.7s.  Farr 40s, ORR boats.

Last year's results

https://yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=1649

1 hour ago, bowduude said:

95 last year, 93 this year

Great weekend of sailing.  I hear there was a T-ten collision with someone hurt.  Anyone know how the person is doing? The story about the problem.

2 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Great weekend of sailing.  I hear there was a T-ten collision with someone hurt.  Anyone know how the person is doing? The story about the problem.

My attention was on the red circle where my younger son was racing.  But, if you look at the results, there was a protest in race 4 between Hot Sauce and M*A*S*H.  Both boats Dsq'd.  One under RRS 10 the other under RRS 14.  Port/starboard and avoid contact.  Hot Sauce came back out for a couple of later races. M*A*S*H was done.  Sounds to me like those are the boats you are referring to.  I, of course, yield to anyone who was in the T-10 fleet.

https://yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eid=4055

4 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Verve - bow in the cockpit, breaking the leg with a compound fracture with the bone sticking out of the skin.

Wow- MASH has had their run of bad luck.  Mac- Damage; NA- Equipment failure; Now this...   That boat is going to need a MASH unit... Just saying. 

5 minutes ago, blubberboy said:

It is my understanding that the M*A*S*H rig came down twice this year. The first was during the the Mac? Supposedly the head stay gave out. They put the rig back up, then lost in during the NAs... Maybe the inspection after it's first drop wasn't as thorough? 

Bummer on the injury, that completely sucks. I also heard that the person hurt just got back into racing after overcoming other medical issues...  

Mash lost a rig on the Mac from the headstay, re stepped the same mast and it snapped in 3 places during a microburst at the T-10 NA's.  Cause of the second failure is unknown, all the stays held, general consensus is the mast was damaged in the mac and just snapped when loaded up with 60+ knots of wind.

At the Verve the driver (not the owner) was crossing Hot Sauce and decided too late to tack.  Hot Sauce ran up the back of the back of Mash and hit the driver's leg, breaking her femur.  Last I heard she was recovering well at the hospital but has a long road ahead of her to get back to normal.

Wow, bad day on the water for the Mash driver.  I hope she is recovering well.  Was the boat damaged?

RE what caused the 2nd rig failure of Mash, I suggest that it was due the square cuts on the mast exits, specifically, the top most spinnaker halyard exit which is where the initial collapse occurred according to those I spoke with aboard.  Here's a photo of the initial tear/collapse point with a couple of highlights by me.  Someone later told me that when they looked at the mast, that all the exits were cut square vs a rounded or radius'd cut.

Mash-LS10 mast.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Bad Andy said:

Mash lost a rig on the Mac from the headstay, re stepped the same mast and it snapped in 3 places during a microburst at the T-10 NA's.  Cause of the second failure is unknown, all the stays held, general consensus is the mast was damaged in the mac and just snapped when loaded up with 60+ knots of wind.

At the Verve the driver (not the owner) was crossing Hot Sauce and decided too late to tack.  Hot Sauce ran up the back of the back of Mash and hit the driver's leg, breaking her femur.  Last I heard she was recovering well at the hospital but has a long road ahead of her to get back to normal.

That boat must be unlucky.

22 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Here's one of Rich double-handing the 88. Tough night for that with breeze on the nose...

IMG_32888.jpg

Just wondering:

how is double handed participation allowed when the NOR states that minimum crew is 4 for the distance races?

18 minutes ago, NemoUSA59 said:

Just wondering:

how is double handed participation allowed when the NOR states that minimum crew is 4 for the distance races?

They had to do it doublehanded as they only had four flashlights aboard.

Seems like the rules are more like suggestions or options to many people that participate. The organizing authorities did not make it easier to comply or easier for increased participation unless you just ignore the rules.

4 hours ago, blubberboy said:

large.2017-09-06_12-46-37.jpg.4b94e874aea4176f2dda63aca135ee20.jpglarge.59b00d327f2a7_aaasichanges.jpg.5840c7a3da84ce85b8e402cc18704a92.jpg

Since we are talking about the Tri/ Bi State. And I know I saw MANY boats going to the original finish on the Bi-State Leg back to Chicago... I'm curious how many people naturally (right, wrong, or indifferent) Considered the Regatta to have started when we left Chicago, and therefor were not aware of altered finish line location, which was reasonably far from the original line. Anyone have any idea as to why it was changed from the original SI's? Just a little curiosity here :) And yes, I know the leg home is technically considered a fully separate regatta. I think there was a decent amount of confusion, and I'm just trying to sort through what other people observed. 

What I want to know is why they amended the SIs so the RC would only stay on station until 5pm. Looking at the forecast at that point, what's the plan? Just go out to finish Imedi and call it a day? Why even bother going out?

19 minutes ago, blubberboy said:

Didn't Imedi get in after 5 pm?

I wasn't on the boat but I head just before 4pm... I think the elapsed times are posted on Yachtscoring but I'm too lazy to pull them up.

I had heard that they said over the radio that they would stay on till 5:30, but then they were gone off station earlier than that, 5:15 - 5:20... But agreed, why change it to something that still isn't realistic for the majority of the fleet.

16 hours ago, blubberboy said:

I was referencing  last night, and you being too lazy to pull up posted finishing times on yachtscoring....Imedi did better on Sunday.

Got it. I thought you were insinuating I did the first leg over but didn't sail back...

PS. This thread is dead. I guess it's the sign of the times with sailing. :mellow:

MORF OPEN September 23 & 24, 2017

THE AWESOME ‘MORF OPEN’ PARTY – Dinner, Drinks, Awards
Sunday 9/24/2017 @ 4pm on the Tent Deck at Columbia Yacht Club
·         Free Beer & Food
·         Ala Carte Drinks
·         Immediate gratification! Brag Flags Presented

METHODS OF PAYMENT
Cash & Credit, Debit.

RAFT UP AT COLUMBIA FOR THE PARTY
Complimentary dockage from 1500 hours on, 9/24/2017

INVITE YOUR CREW, FAMILY, FRIENDS, & CHILDREN TOO
Your Guests are welcome to the party.

PARKING
Checkout Online Rates: Monroe/Millenium Park/Grant Park - http://www.millenniumgarages.com/rates/. Or DuSable Harbor Parking https://www.chicagoharbors.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/DuSable-Parking-Rates-2017.pdf .

SHOWERS
Grab a quick one at Columbia Yacht Club, bring your own towel.

•    Share this with your Racing Friends who you think should join racing against you – challenge them.
•    Share this with your Crew
•    Share this with your Family

OLD SCHOOL RACING
Back in the day there was one handicap/rating rule for all boats racing, everyone raced against everyone.  It’s Back! All boats are entered with PHRF Handicaps.  Don’t have one? We’ll assign one. The following “Standard” one-design fleet boats get these handicaps: T10 126; J/105 87; J/109 72; J111 39; Farr 40 -12; Beneteau 36.7 75; Beneteay 40.7 54.

OUT OF TOWN BOATS
Complimentary dockage at Columbia Yacht Club (see NOR for reservations)

WHERE
Starting Area 7, two course races Saturday, one course race Sunday.

Entry Via Email & PayPal $45 for 3 races, Deadline September 21, 2017 - http://morfracing.org/signup.jsp
Notice of Race - http://morfracing.org/meta/racebook/Morf17-Open-NOR.pdf
Sailing Instructions - http://morfracing.org/meta/racebook/Morf17-Open-SSI.pdf

SPONSOR FOR YOUR FUN (be sure to spend some of your money with them)
Skyway Yacht Works For Your Storage, Brokerage, & Repairs. Chicago, IL - http://skywayyachtworks.com/

SPECIAL THANKS TO
Columbia Yacht Club (for the dockage & party facilities).  While there, ask how you can join their membership! - http://www.columbiayachtclub.org/

ORGANIZING AUTHORITY MAKING YOUR FUN
The Midwest Open Racing Fleet.  While there, ask how you can join MORF’s membership! - http://morfracing.org/

38 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Saw this on the Irma thread. Photos from Key West. Some of you will remember Fazisi spent some time here in Chicago circa Bowman's Union...

Irma 2.jpg

Irma.jpg

that boat will never surrender