Grinder

Chicago Area III

1 minute ago, Huggy Bear Brown said:

New to the Milwaukee Fleet out of SSYC for 2018.....  Image may contain: ocean, sky, boat, cloud, outdoor, water and nature

needs a bigger wheel....SMH

3 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

needs a bigger wheel....SMH

Is there a correlation between the size of the wheel and the size of the prod?

19 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Lake Michigan is an IMS graveyard. The tradition continues...

Lake Michigan has always been an old design graveyard......started in the 1920's with the Universal Rule M Class, P Class, Q Class, and R Class heading to the Lake from the East Coast......then the CCA, IOR, and IMS.

1 hour ago, blubberboy said:

Playing to Win: What is strategy here? Is this boat going to come to the line with a new suit of sails, and out perform her ORR rating for the Chicago Mackinac race? Or will she be the latest Phrf whore that will take on the title of the participation ribbon queen?

The owner is a life long racer that took some time out to raise kids and build a business.....he's now getting back in the game and looking to have fun while racing hard.  Sails have been reviewed and new ones ordered where needed.  The boat should be reasonably well sailed as the owner has raced one-designs and off-shore since the early 70's and the tactician has a solid race record over the years.  He's in the process of organizing the crew and schedule for next year.  I know he's hoping to get the boat to Chicago for a couple of races......we'll see where it goes....

On 11/11/2017 at 2:54 PM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Lake Michigan is an IMS graveyard. The tradition continues...

It's about time the Isle of Misfit Toys started to grow again

The fleet in Milwaukee is going to have some speed to it next year.  Rumors, the Thompson 35, showed up

about a month ago, now Javelin.  And there is talk of another one or two in the works.

3 hours ago, garyedelman said:

The fleet in Milwaukee is going to have some speed to it next year.  Rumors, the Thompson 35, showed up

about a month ago, now Javelin.  And there is talk of another one or two in the works.

For a minute I thought you said "Thomas 35" and speed in the same sentence, but then I reread!

4 hours ago, fingerbang said:

Wow Didn't notice the huge rip in that Puma kite in the previous shots I'd seen.  Wonder if they ripped in during that last jibe.  Looked OK before the got to the bridge.

19 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Great video !!!

Okay, I'll be the one to say it... REALLY?! Do you really think this is a great video?! 

This is first generation, YouTube-quality production/editing. A program of this caliber should've had an OBR for an event like this.

This program could've pumped out some breathtaking imagery - mini features/highlights, short interview clips, onboard photos... the list goes on. Il Mostro could've had content to last them through the end of the year easily. Not to mention, a video like this list wouldn't have taken a month's time nor a team of 8+ to produce.

Even with little to no notice, Il Mostro could've tapped several local resources to cover the momentous event - Matt Knighton, Andrew Jowett, Petey Crawford. I have to wonder what the thought process was on this one. Even if there was just a single GoPro onboard, a high schooler could've done a better job. 

All that being said, I'm still thrilled for the Il Mostro crew on the mad dash up the lake. I just expected a video that would reflect the monster's beastly performance. 

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, spring fever said:

Okay, I'll be the one to say it... REALLY?! Do you really think this is a great video?! 

This is first generation, YouTube-quality production/editing. A program of this caliber should've had an OBR for an event like this.

This program could've pumped out some breathtaking imagery - mini features/highlights, short interview clips, onboard photos... the list goes on. Il Mostro could've had content to last them through the end of the year easily. Not to mention, a video like this list wouldn't have taken a month's time nor a team of 8+ to produce.

Even with little to no notice, Il Mostro could've tapped several local resources to cover the momentous event - Matt Knighton, Andrew Jowett, Petey Crawford. I have to wonder what the thought process was on this one. Even if there was just a single GoPro onboard, a high schooler could've done a better job. 

All that being said, I'm still thrilled for the Il Mostro crew on the mad dash up the lake. I just expected a video that would reflect the monster's beastly performance. 

It's not ESPN, AC or VOR, but with OB footage, historic shots/ B-roll, graphics, aerial/drone and off the boat video (some HD) it's certainly not first gen YT that most 'high schoolers couldn't have done better.' Their focus was on the record, not making a video, and most of the run was at night when shooting is very difficult. The video tells the story, like any good production - if you think a video like that just falls into place from some random GoPro footage, you're clueless.

I'm glad we got to see ANY video of their attempt - for free. It's a great video IMO.

1 hour ago, spring fever said:

Did it ever occur to you that just maybe the focus was to actually sail and set a record rather than winning praise from some random armchair sailor?

The visuals are great. Now you need a good script to put with it. 

48 minutes ago, Christian said:

Did it ever occur to you that just maybe the focus was to actually sail and set a record rather than winning praise from some random armchair sailor?

I'm not discounting their record nor their sailing prowess, but the video credits a 9-person production crew. Clearly this was on their minds. 

2 hours ago, MidPack said:

It's not ESPN, AC or VOR, but with OB footage, historic shots/ B-roll, graphics, aerial/drone and off the boat video (some HD) it's certainly not first gen YT that most 'high schoolers couldn't have done better.' Their focus was on the record, not making a video, and most of the run was at night when shooting is very difficult. The video tells the story, like any good production - if you think a video like that just falls into place from some random GoPro footage, you're clueless.

I'm glad we got to see ANY video of their attempt - for free. It's a great video IMO.

1) It could have been VOR, AC, ESPN quality quite easily with the proper direction/input. There's literally an award-winning VOR OBR at CYC - use him as a consultant if nothing else. 

2) Kids are growing up with cameras in hand and in the sky. Did you miss that GoPros shoot 4k and the company built its own drone? Teenagers are using action cameras to capture some amazing footage to produce cutting edge skate videos (or their sport of choice). Some are lucky enough to end up in a high school that cultivates their talent in programs like sports broadcasting. Former classmates graduated directly into the ranks at surf/skate publications and ESPN. So, yes, a high schooler could have done it better. 

• Downvote 1

It's pretty hard to make a 1 hour documentary of an 18 hour sprint, which most of it was on a moonless night, and the heaviest wind was during the night hours.

I'm not discounting their record nor their sailing prowess, but the video credits a 9-person production crew. Clearly this was on their minds. 

1) It could have been VOR, AC, ESPN quality quite easily with the proper direction/input. There's literally an award-winning VOR OBR at CYC - use him as a consultant if nothing else. 

2) Kids are growing up with cameras in hand and in the sky. Did you miss that GoPros shoot 4k and the company built its own drone? Teenagers are using action cameras to capture some amazing footage to produce cutting edge skate videos (or their sport of choice). Some are lucky enough to end up in a high school that cultivates their talent in programs like sports broadcasting. Former classmates graduated directly into the ranks at surf/skate publications and ESPN. So, yes, a high schooler could have done it better. 

Call them and ask for your money back for the movie ticket that cost you ???

butt-hurt much S.F.?  They were intending to set a record (had a bailout point or two, if it wasn't lookin good), and were in such all-out-record-mode that they didn't even bring the dagger boards (cuz record would only be set downwind, screw the delivery guys back).  Sorry they didn't do it up to your expectations, 

3 hours ago, spring fever said:

Apparently you’ve got some axe to grind, most of us think it’s a great video, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

I’ve made amateur videos for years and owned a GoPro and other equipment/software for as long. I’ve also followed some very successful YouTubers and GoPro vids and seen what goes into success there. For every great video on YT, there are dozens if not hundreds that are trash.

I’ve shot 4K and I know what a bust the Karma drone has been, DJI blows them away among others. Why else would GoPro shares be down about 90% from their high in 2014. “Did you miss that”...

dang S.F. you got sure got mansplained!   

I agree with S.F. that it could have been better as there are plenty of knowledgeable folks that could have helped out with the effort and the moonless night is not really an excuse. Good to hear that they are looking to up the production value should they run again Glen. 

Seriously fellas there is nothing wrong with wanting to see the game upped on a record run is there? It is nice to see someone passionate about the craft of showcasing yachting.

Again well done to the crew that zipped up the lake. 

I'm surprised that this hasn't come up here yet but Chicago has a hot new sailing class with 80+ boats and more on the way. 

The Dragon Force 65 class! Link: https://www.facebook.com/ChiRemoteControlSailing/ Yes the boats are remote controlled, but where else can you be racing 22+ one design boats, while being warm and dry inside with belmont with a drink in your hand?

We have an iceberg series going on this winter out of CYC, next meeting is tomorrow (Saturday) at 9am - noon at Belmont. Racing in canceled tomorrow due to Ice in the harbor but 15+ people will be there tomorrow with their new christmas presents to finish building and rigging them at the Dragon Force 65 workshop. Next race day is January 20th 2pm at Belmont (and every two weeks after that). 

Check the link above for past events, videos and pictures! And if you have $250 burning a hole in your pocket, come join the fun. 

Just bought a 2ksb (only delivery and shakedown cruises before winter) which I aspire to turn into a 4ksb so I don't come last in handicap races next summer. Finding crew is going to be a large problem due to my lack of social skills, though I'll also try to find rides on OPBs. The lack of social skills also means I'm not interested in a party, but I look forward to seeing y'all on the water.

Got a pretty cool regatta picture and was wondering if anyone had experience getting an original painting based on a photograph?  Any artists in the Area III network?  I was going to post as a new topic in SA but thought I'd try to see if there were any local artists first.

Saw a few in the Virgin Islands relief effort - https://www.facebook.com/TurnTheTideVI/

16 minutes ago, olshitsky said:

Got a pretty cool regatta picture and was wondering if anyone had experience getting an original painting based on a photograph?  Any artists in the Area III network?  I was going to post as a new topic in SA but thought I'd try to see if there were any local artists first.

16 hours ago, CFS Klopas said:

Just bought a 2ksb (only delivery and shakedown cruises before winter) which I aspire to turn into a 4ksb so I don't come last in handicap races next summer. Finding crew is going to be a large problem due to my lack of social skills, though I'll also try to find rides on OPBs. The lack of social skills also means I'm not interested in a party, but I look forward to seeing y'all on the water.

Welcome to the fray.  Where will you be sailing out of?  What kind of boat?  What kind of racing will you be doing?  There is a large base of Chicago knowledge here.  Let us help you out!

Jim Calto  - Chicago area sailor

17 hours ago, CFS Klopas said:

If you're going to the boat show this weekend, stop by the MORF booth. They probably have programs that could be interesting to you.

Using a 1981 Columbia 8.7. The base PHRF on the thing is 222, so 4 knots and a full crew are both ambitious. Will be sailing out of Hammond, my initial racing goals are investigating the rumor of a small beer can fleet in Hammond and CASRA Jib & Main divisions. I was planning to attend the majority of the boat show listening to lectures.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:20 PM, Grinder said:

Welcome to the fray.  Where will you be sailing out of?  What kind of boat?  What kind of racing will you be doing?  There is a large base of Chicago knowledge here.  Let us help you out!

Jim Calto  - Chicago area sailor

That’s who you are! After all these yrs it finally came out. 

• Like 1

So far I haven't seen any comments about the boat show going on now. Any reviews? Is it worth the price of admission?

4 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

So far I haven't seen any comments about the boat show going on now. Any reviews? Is it worth the price of admission?

Hasn’t been worth it since it rolled in with power boats and RV’s to me, but at l least Chicago still has a sail show. YMMV

I'm sitting in a lecture now. I guess it depends on whether you are happy with the sailing you do now, or if you are curious about what other aspects of sailing or gear are out there. I'm trying to get up to speed, so I'm here a lot.

4 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Went last night.  Not a ton to see, new Melges Powerboat is there, small sailboats and the typical lines of Benehuntacataneaus.  For me it's an excuse to walk around with a beer-in-hand and get some relief from being in hibernation.

On 1/12/2018 at 4:15 PM, Looper said:

Went last night.  Not a ton to see, new Melges Powerboat is there, small sailboats and the typical lines of Benehuntacataneaus.  For me it's an excuse to walk around with a beer-in-hand and get some relief from being in hibernation.

Speaking of beer, the (non) selection of beer in the largest convention center in the Midwest is pretty pathetic.  Corona and Modelo. What the fuck, Chuck?

16 hours ago, Grinder said:

Speaking of beer, the (non) selection of beer in the largest convention center in the Midwest is pretty pathetic.  Corona and Modelo. What the fuck, Chuck?

Bring your own supply or visit the booths with a communal bar. Much better selection.

42 minutes ago, Grinder said:

Page 4.  Damn.

summer is around the corner

I'm not sure I believe in summer any more.

8 hours ago, fucket said:

I'm not sure I believe in summer any more.

Just think:  the end of summer is less than 6 months away.

J/88's are starting the pick up a head of steam in Chicago. Rumors two new boats this summer bringing the total to 7. J/88 NA here Verve weekend so that should help the momentum...

How old are the 36.7’s these days?   Maybe look at depreciation vs years post launch for better comparison.

Or remember that an A4 is always going to be worth more than a Chevy Malibu.  :-)

Always amazes me how much money J boats are. Used J88s are $30k more than similar conditioned ben 36.7s. 

...yes but 36.7 are garbage construction. You are comparing an Audi to a Kia.

• Like 1

How old are the 36.7’s these days?   Maybe look at depreciation vs years post launch for better comparison.

Or remember that an A4 is always going to be worth more than a Chevy Malibu.  :-)

ha! I posted my car ref and didn't even see yours below. Ditto.

ha! I posted my car ref and didn't even see yours below. Ditto.

I think I’d take the Kia over the Malibu!

J111 N.A's in Holland,  Michigan in September.

20 boats predicted. 

World Champion J111 Skeleton Key in Chicago for the Summer.

Is there a chandlery in Cook County other than West and Crowleys with as much boat shit selection? There is a store at the Hammond Marina I also use, but it's small. 

It is my understanding that the South end of Monroe Harbor will be vacant of moorings for the 2018 boating season.  All boats will be moored in the North 1/2.

Interesting & sad. eh. 

Dang, pretty dead around these parts?

Surprised nobody has mentioned that Imedi will have a new playmate, 

2 hours ago, Grinder said:

It is my understanding that the South end of Monroe Harbor will be vacant of moorings for the 2018 boating season.  All boats will be moored in the North 1/2.

Interesting & sad. eh. 

Why?  

3 hours ago, Grinder said:

Interesting & sad. eh. 

I got mega-fucked on my new mooring assignment. Super pissed at them right now, maybe one more free spot next year.

24 minutes ago, fucket said:

I got mega-fucked on my new mooring assignment. Super pissed at them right now, maybe one more free spot next year.

What happened?

I don't mind south monroe being empty... gives the kids a place to play. Cuts down on the cost of running the tender since they don't have enough boats to fill it

2 hours ago, ChiGuy said:

What happened?

I don't mind south monroe being empty... gives the kids a place to play. Cuts down on the cost of running the tender since they don't have enough boats to fill it

Great north spot right by the club, got moved to about as far south as they go now and right on the wall. They did assignment based on strict seniority, which is frankly, complete bullshit. I spent a long time with transfer requests and such to get my spot and now I have to start all over again with it because some old fucks who didn't care enough about what can their boat rotted away on to fill out a transfer request got to pick their spot.

20 hours ago, Grinder said:

Interesting & sad. eh. 

Correct. 31st is mostly empty so there is excess inventory plus those cans weren't that full to begin with. Good news is there will be Thursday Night 420 racing in the harbor now!

15 hours ago, fucket said:

Great north spot right by the club, got moved to about as far south as they go now and right on the wall. They did assignment based on strict seniority, which is frankly, complete bullshit. I spent a long time with transfer requests and such to get my spot and now I have to start all over again with it because some old fucks who didn't care enough about what can their boat rotted away on to fill out a transfer request got to pick their spot.

So they bumped people off their North spots to give South people where had been in the harbor system longer the priority? That doesn't seem right. No difference if you have a slip in Belmont and they close that Harbor and you bump someone out of Montrose location which would never fly.

18 hours ago, fingerbang said:

Dang, pretty dead around these parts?

Surprised nobody has mentioned that Imedi will have a new playmate, 

Another TP? What's the story?

21 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Another TP? What's the story?

Tell us more!!!!

I've been a SA forum member since 2004 and as a result posted 1000+ times on the site. I know Ed has changed the format several times over the years and even gone to a new Forum provider. I haven't active on here for several years when I "retired" from sailing. With my resurgence I've obviously been more active getting the scoop on the local scene and general topics of interest, and yes embarrassingly enough the "Sailing Around the World in an S24". It's ridiculous and addicting to stay away as it is a time suck!

What I noticed recently is we all have "ratings" under our handles. Mine for instance is a -46! I don't know how this is generated if it is via the system looking at key words or if it is peer rated. I don't see the option to rate others so I assume the system does it automatically with some algorithm unless I'm just blind and missing something...  

Anyways, I say all of this with amusement as I opened my profile and saw the title of my rating category. Obviously Ed set these up depending on your rating range.
Enjoy so Friday humor....

SOTM.png

• Like 1

I just looked at the list of "current entries" in the Mac and copied from there.

26 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Didn’t Heartbreaker sell? New Chicago owner?

10 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I've been a SA forum member since 2004 and as a result posted 1000+ times on the site. I know Ed has changed the format several times over the years and even gone to a new Forum provider. I haven't active on here for several years when I "retired" from sailing. With my resurgence I've obviously been more active getting the scoop on the local scene and general topics of interest, and yes embarrassingly enough the "Sailing Around the World in an S24". It's ridiculous and addicting to stay away as it is a time suck!

What I noticed recently is we all have "ratings" under our handles. Mine for instance is a -46! I don't know how this is generated if it is via the system looking at key words or if it is peer rated. I don't see the option to rate others so I assume the system does it automatically with some algorithm unless I'm just blind and missing something...  

Anyways, I say all of this with amusement as I opened my profile and saw the title of my rating category. Obviously Ed set these up depending on your rating range.
Enjoy so Friday humor....

SOTM.png

If you would like to protest your rating, there is a very specific process to follow. First, read and follow the class rules and rating rules by which you are racing under. Second, the deadline for filing is dec 1, for concideration for the 2019 season. Please include in your appeal, the other ratings in your section that the "committee" should consider. 

16 hours ago, SailChiTown said:

If you would like to protest your rating, there is a very specific process to follow. First, read and follow the class rules and rating rules by which you are racing under. Second, the deadline for filing is dec 1, for concideration for the 2019 season. Please include in your appeal, the other ratings in your section that the "committee" should consider. 

Haha. No, it’s a fair rating. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 6:33 PM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Haha. No, it’s a fair rating. 

Probably a bit of a gift ;-)

On 4/13/2018 at 6:18 PM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Didn’t Heartbreaker sell? New Chicago owner?

I heard that HB upgraded and is going to be the ex-Ran boat.

On 4/16/2018 at 11:27 AM, Looper said:

I heard that HB upgraded and is going to be the ex-Ran boat.

i don’t speak on behalf of anyone and not an ‘authority’ here, but the ex: Heartbreaker 52 was built as Patches, then was Ran, and then was Heartbreaker and owned by well known local yachtsman Robert Hughes, who has recently donated her to USMMA- i think she’s chartered locally and I hope so!

More recently, the team has bought last years’ super series boat Alegre, and she will sail in Newport before coming to the lakes in time for local Queens cup/ Mackinac stuff etc.

Really not my role to speak on this but wanted to answer the question which will come out soon enough anyhow.

Stoked to see the 52 class gaining momentum locally, with more boats coming for 2019.  it takes good owners to make all this happen, and it’s cool for sure.

eric

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources approved tech manufacturer Foxconn’s request to use seven million gallons of Lake Michigan water per day in LCD screen manufacturing.

On 4/18/2018 at 3:08 PM, 1sailor said:

i don’t speak on behalf of anyone and not an ‘authority’ here, but the ex: Heartbreaker 52 was built as Patches, then was Ran, and then was Heartbreaker and owned by well known local yachtsman Robert Hughes, who has recently donated her to USMMA- i think she’s chartered locally and I hope so!

More recently, the team has bought last years’ super series boat Alegre, and she will sail in Newport before coming to the lakes in time for local Queens cup/ Mackinac stuff etc.

Really not my role to speak on this but wanted to answer the question which will come out soon enough anyhow.

Stoked to see the 52 class gaining momentum locally, with more boats coming for 2019.  it takes good owners to make all this happen, and it’s cool for sure.

eric

Is this the new Tyrant?

Hi All,  I've not been around in a while. What did I miss while gone?

Is it sailing season yet?

2 hours ago, ockam-nokam said:

Not yet. Knowing Chicago it will probably snow next week.

7 hours ago, ockam-nokam said:

You missed it. It's over. Yesterday and today.

11 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

You missed it. It's over. Yesterday and today.

Well heck.  I blinked and watched a Cubs game.  On to skiing then I guess.

11 hours ago, ockam-nokam said:

Well heck.  I blinked and watched a Cubs game.  On to skiing then I guess.

Last 2 Cubs games have been pretty sad. Season is only a month old, but Darvish's ROI is pretty poor.