Chicago Area III

12 hours ago, Svanen said:

Apparently you’re not a Millennial.

millennials.jpg

12 hours ago, Svanen said:

Apparently you’re not a Millennial.

millennials.jpg

Damn straight

So, How was Colors?  I didn't get out, but would love to hear fellow anarchist's comments, observations, insights, etc.  (in other words "thread bump")

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, fingerbang said:

So, How was Colors?  I didn't get out, but would love to hear fellow anarchist's comments, observations, insights, etc.  (in other words "thread bump")

Went very well for us. B)

2018 Columbia Y.C. COLORS Regatta
Boat and RC Blog

This page will automatically reload every 90 seconds...

From the RC Offshore Buoy Race Course 2 - Sunday @ 10:37AM - CIRCLE 2 COURSE DIAGRAM THE COURSES DESIGNATED IN THE LISTINGS IS CHANGED TO ALLOW THE

RACE COMMITTEE TO RACE DIFFERENT COURSE LENGHTS L KWIAT 2018 COLORS REGATTA Chairmen

Note the time of this post (23 minutes before the first warning on Sunday) and where it was posted (not the (un)official notice board).

For us it was a paid practice day and it taught us that RC's still have a difficult time squaring up a race course.  The conditions were challenging Sunday, but it was a "get in line" set up.

Need to throw a postponement in there when a wind shift makes it unable to make the start line on starboard CH.

It was good to get some breeze-on conditions to shake off the cobwebs. 

Shutting down the bar during the awards is a dumb idea.  Yelling at people to be quiet and pay attention at a party is childish.

1 hour ago, Grinder said:

Shutting down the bar during the awards is a dumb idea.  Yelling at people to be quiet and pay attention at a party is childish.

how else are people going to know who won the pickle dish? 

8 hours ago, Grinder said:

Edit:  The orders to ‘quiet down’ we’re not from Steve Kindra.  Steve did a great job. Thanks to him for sponsoring & running the regatta.  

• Like 1

More like this thread is dead. 167 boats registered, that's 22 more than last year. Now, 21 of those boats are RC boats, but still.

Waking this thread back up ---NOODs looked fun this weekend. Did a double take at the dragon 65 class... Never done the RC thing, but more and more people seem to be enjoying it. 

I am traveling for work in Chicago this week, from Seattle racing mostly with CYC on a J/109, other various levels of experience including T10s from LIS years ago. I was looking for any recommendations for getting out for some beer can racing Wednesday night. I'll be working/staying downtown, but should be able to make it just about anywhere. So far I have been told DuSable Harbor, Belmont Harbor, and Montrose harbor all have boats heading out. In Seattle the marina is big and spread out, but there is one pier with a crew circle that has mixed success, most race boats on Wednesday also leave from about 5 different piers making walking entrance to the docks a bit easier. Anything similar in Chicago to aim for?

Any advice to be shared including timing (starts appear to be 6-6:30 so I'm guessing 5:15 walking the dock will be early, but a good start), highest concentration of boats heading out (assuming travel time after work isn't an issue should I head to Belmont Montrose or Dusable?).

Thanks!

new Mac Entrant; "MockingBird USA 52329", TP 52, Columbia Yacht Club Chicago, Chris Duhon,   (yes, old-heartbreaker)

Will be nice to have another 52 to play with, 

16 hours ago, fingerbang said:

new Mac Entrant; "MockingBird USA 52329", TP 52, Columbia Yacht Club Chicago, Chris Duhon,   (yes, old-heartbreaker)

Will be nice to have another 52 to play with, 

It's the old TP52 Heartbreaker, being chartered by the owner of Tequila Mockingbird.

I went from Belmont to the party on Sunday to get our 3rd place award and to see some friends.

Parked in 'Lakeside Garage' next to Millennium Garage.  I was there for 1 hr 12 minutes.  $30.00 parking fee.

No wonder people don't want to sail in Chicago. 

Event parking rates due to Bluesfest. If it was much cheaper, the whole garage would be full and you wouldn't be able to park at all. CYC was running a free shuttle to and from Belmont.

33 minutes ago, Grinder said:

I went from Belmont to the party on Sunday to get our 3rd place award and to see some friends.

Parked in 'Lakeside Garage' next to Millennium Garage.  I was there for 1 hr 12 minutes.  $30.00 parking fee.

No wonder people don't want to sail in Chicago. 

Just wait until they build the "Community Sailing Center" at the end of Balbo that Westrec is alluding to.  No parking will be available there at all.  I can't imagine a single parent that's going to try and navigate getting their kids down there for sailing lessons.

54 minutes ago, Looper said:

Just wait until they build the "Community Sailing Center" at the end of Balbo that Westrec is alluding to.  No parking will be available there at all.  I can't imagine a single parent that's going to try and navigate getting their kids down there for sailing lessons.

That's an outreach program, they will probably bus them in.

17 hours ago, Keysrock35 said:

Why would you drive in Chicago? What do you expect?

I have 3 kids under 7 and live in the city.  We drive everywhere and it works fine for us.  We just don't go places where parking is difficult.

2 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

128 boats signed up for Chicago - Waukegan Race! Big year...

Damn, that is a lot.  Party on at WYC...

Who here is making their way up north, looks like it could be a relatively painless and possibly efficient ride ... well until the hangover on Sunday AM that is. 

We're giving Eleven it's 2nd shake down, up to Waukegan and back.  New rudder, new main, new electronics, etc.  Time to see what she can do!

4 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

We're giving Eleven it's 2nd shake down, up to Waukegan and back.  New rudder, new main, new electronics, etc.  Time to see what she can do!

What is Eleven?

5 hours ago, Grinder said:

What is Eleven?

Well most amps only go up to ten....mine goes to eleven.....

Great question.  Ericson 35 Mark II.  Should be fun to watch the Providence duel and their overall performance.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:23 AM, Glenn McCarthy said:

11th offshore boat Gene has owned. and QLite nailed it.

Rumor has it another guy is bringing in another E35 MkII.

A new Chicago OD in the works? I could get onboard with that...

17 hours ago, Keysrock35 said:

A new Chicago OD in the works? I could get onboard with that...

The more the merrier.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:24 PM, QLite said:

Great question.  Ericson 35 Mark II.  Should be fun to watch the Providence duel and their overall performance.

Eleven was 1 and 1 Saturday and Sunday. 

This boat was on the fine edge of either going to the wood chipper or being rehabbed.  I've spent 45 days over the past year rehabbing this long in the tooth boat. That does not include the other crew who have done things, nor the pro's that did things too.  This is the 2nd and 3rd race we have done with her, with a very dramatic difference over last's year's single race.  Only added another 8 new projects this weekend to the 30 item unfinished list.

The only other boat that was first both days was Asylum.  Congrats to them.

23 hours ago, 12345 said:

That was a fun ride north this year!

I watched the start. Was interesting because there was an onshore breeze with some boats sailing in it on Port, then a convergence zone, and beyond that a seabreeze where the boats were sailing on starboard.

Starting line was setup ~1mile off of Belmont so everyone started on Port in the onshore breeze then the lucky ones at the boat end of the line that soaked out onto the lake were able to transition to the seabreeze. The guys in the middle were dead, the guys inshore were trapped. Be the time the last start happened boats up the course looked like they were all into jibs (jib reaching or beating?).

Curious to hear from someone who did the race, how the above played out for the remaining miles of the race...

2 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I watched the start. Was interesting because there was an onshore breeze with some boats sailing in it on Port, then a convergence zone, and beyond that a seabreeze where the boats were sailing on starboard.

Starting line was setup ~1mile off of Belmont so everyone started on Port in the onshore breeze then the lucky ones at the boat end of the line that soaked out onto the lake were able to transition to the seabreeze. The guys in the middle were dead, the guys inshore were trapped. Be the time the last start happened boats up the course looked like they were all into jibs (jib reaching or beating?).

Curious to hear from someone who did the race, how the above played out for the remaining miles of the race...

You described it pretty well. However, getting through the fly swamp into the thermal had us doing 8 sail changes in pretty rapid succession. Then it settled down for an easy ride the rest of the way pretty much with the spin. It got lighter as we got closer being a slower boat, Defiance did the course in 2 hours 15 minutes staying in strong breeze all the way getting the 1st overall.

Does anyone have room in a car going from Chicago to Milwaukee this Friday for the Queen's?

How about room in a car going early Saturday morning from Grand Haven back to Chicago?

Thanks peeps.

- Glenn

29 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

You described it pretty well. However, getting through the fly swamp into the thermal had us doing 8 sail changes in pretty rapid succession. Then it settled down for an easy ride the rest of the way pretty much with the spin. It got lighter as we got closer being a slower boat, Defiance did the course in 2 hours 15 minutes staying in strong breeze all the way getting the 1st overall. 

Sounds like the seabreeze won offshore...

We were happy with our offshore position.

Had 2 kites and 2 head sails to pack and flake when we got to Waukegan.  Good times hit 9.7 for our top speed. 

2 hours ago, 12345 said:

We were happy with our offshore position.

Had 2 kites and 2 head sails to pack and flake when we got to Waukegan.  Good times hit 9.7 for our top speed. 

What yacht were you yachting on?

On 6/15/2018 at 12:33 PM, 12345 said:

Heading N on Salsa myself.

21 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

What yacht were you yachting on?

Answer the question 12345!

Someone had the audacity to start a Race to Mackinac thread outside of this thread. 

What is the world coming to?

Breeze stayed pretty steady all night. Two different boats hit the RC boat at the finish within a span of five minutes.

18 minutes ago, fucket said:

Breeze stayed pretty steady all night. Two different boats hit the RC boat at the finish within a span of five minutes.

Well, the RC was dragging anchor, we finished 20 min before the crashes, the line was about 50ft. long.

1 hour ago, SailChiTown said:

I would highly rec the following from that list:

Marian Lambrecht Hoskins Schuss Marine Survey  +1

Mel Surdel used to be pretty good too... but don't know how active he is lately.

H

19 hours ago, fucket said:

How does that happen?!

19 hours ago, SailChiTown said:

Well, the RC was dragging anchor, we finished 20 min before the crashes, the line was about 50ft. long.

Was it bumpy out there at the finish? Wasn't too bad at the start...

21 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Was it bumpy out there at the finish? Wasn't too bad at the start...

Super flat and maybe 15-20 gusting up to 22/23 at times.  The line was ridiculously short.  Really sketchy for even two boats to cross at the same time, dont think 3 would have made it honestly.

The first boat that hit the finish boat did so with the line all to themselves. What we think happened is that they originally mistook the lighted standoff buoy tied to the finish boat as the pin and tried to finish inside there. The ten degree knock a few minutes earlier probably didn't help matters.  I could be wrong about that but they gave the finish boat a pretty good jolt.

The second boat to hit them happened behind us so I didn't get quite as good of a view. At the time, the first boat to collide was still in the process of unfucking the situation so that could have contributed to the problem.

58 minutes ago, fucket said:

The first boat that hit the finish boat did so with the line all to themselves. What we think happened is that they originally mistook the lighted standoff buoy tied to the finish boat as the pin and tried to finish inside there. The ten degree knock a few minutes earlier probably didn't help matters.  I could be wrong about that but they gave the finish boat a pretty good jolt.

The second boat to hit them happened behind us so I didn't get quite as good of a view. At the time, the first boat to collide was still in the process of unfucking the situation so that could have contributed to the problem. 

Which boats hit the RC? :)

I hope it was a club RC boat and not privately owned. I know they used a sailboat for the start...

It was basically a full moon so I'm struggling to see how this happened. It wasn't thick fog.