Grinder

Chicago Area III

50 minutes ago, marcus brutus said:

I respectfully disagree with your greatly exaggerated claim that  "volunteers ...  get criticized for every misstep".

In fact, the results for the 3 Crib Fiasco Regatta errors have been corrected after those specific errors were disclosed on this forum; kudos to the R/C volunteers.

As i previously posted 'Majority of "volunteers" who do a credible job are neither sufficiently recognized nor supported."  I again repeat my commitment to support  the volunteers and recognize their efforts whenever they perform well. When they fail miserably, I reserve the option to criticize their actions.

Honestly, why go through the effort of publicly dragging the race organizers through the proverbial Sailing Anarchy mud?  You could have probably contacted them via email or phone and privately asked them to take a second look at the screwed up results and had them fixed.  That would have been the way to show respect to volunteers.

I wish this Area 3 thread would die.  It generally makes it look like Chicago sailors are a bunch of arrogant pricks.

8 minutes ago, Looper said:

Honestly, why go through the effort of publicly dragging the race organizers through the proverbial Sailing Anarchy mud?  You could have probably contacted them via email or phone and privately asked them to take a second look at the screwed up results and had them fixed.  That would have been the way to show respect to volunteers.

I wish this Area 3 thread would die.  It generally makes it look like Chicago sailors are a bunch of arrogant pricks.

Worse, it makes Chicago sailors look like a bunch of hacks running around on tired PHRF boats bitching about their ratings when in reality that 3 second difference is meaningless compared to the shitty sail shape from the 12 year old jib and the terrible sail trim from the crew who have it boned on with the lead way to far forward!

56 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Worse, it makes Chicago sailors look like a bunch of hacks running around on tired PHRF boats bitching about their ratings when in reality that 3 second difference is meaningless compared to the shitty sail shape from the 12 year old jib and the terrible sail trim from the crew who have it boned on with the lead way to far forward!

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner! 

1 hour ago, Looper said:

I wish that you PMed me before posting your uninformed opinion; it would have avoided my response on this thread.  

On numerous previous occasions my emails to the race organizers at Columbia Yacht Club in regards to errors and omissions were either disputed and /or ignored. If you desire to know the identity of those "volunteers", I'll be happy to privately share it with you.

You fail to recognize the fact that my post produced positive result whenTsunami Mike replied. He recognized and acknowledge past failures and is successfully endeavoring to correct them.

1 hour ago, Looper said:

5 minutes ago, marcus brutus said:

I wish that you PMed me before posting your uninformed opinion; it would have avoided my response on this thread.  

On numerous previous occasions my emails to the race organizers at Columbia Yacht Club in regards to errors and omissions were either disputed and /or ignored. If you desire to know the identity of those "volunteers", I'll be happy to privately share it with you.

You fail to recognize the fact that my post produced positive result whenTsunami Mike replied. He recognized and acknowledge past failures and is successfully endeavoring to correct them.

You're right.  I'm just a lonely outsider making an uninformed observation.  And considering that the three crib fiasco was a north american championship regatta, you deserve the finest in expert RC work. 

I'm always thankful and appreciative of RC work.  Volunteers or not, good job or bad.  The alternative is to get myself out there to drop marks and wave flags.  I'm much happier racing.

I wish I knew what boats you guys sail on. It would make this even more entertaining! Is this an Olsen 33 vs. a J/35 argument?! The fact that there is any hubbub about the "Three Crib Fiasco" is laughable from the beginning. Do either of you think this is a serious event?!

12 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I wish I knew what boats you guys sail on. It would make this even more entertaining! Is this an Olsen 33 vs. a J/35 argument?! The fact that there is any hubbub about the "Three Crib Fiasco" is laughable from the beginning. Do either of you think this is a serious event?!

Didn't you just "retire" from sailing again? :)

15 minutes ago, Looper said:

Didn't you just "retire" from sailing again? :)

Basically. J/88 fiasco at the Verve pushed me over the edge and I questioned myself why I was waisting a beautiful Chicago weekend dealing that BS...

I'm going to take a huge step back and look at volunteers from the 20,000 foot view -

I've had the privilege of racing and have gone to over 100 yacht clubs across the U.S. and a few in other countries (five).  You see, and you learn by getting away from what you are accustomed to.  I've also spent an enormous amount of time volunteering at various levels in the sport/activity.

In many clubs elsewhere in the country, it is natural for complete interaction with the volunteers. The volunteers mingle with the sailors where you can't tell the difference between the two. Many host appreciation evenings for the volunteers, where the sailors pay for the dinners and drinks for the volunteers and various awards are given to the volunteers.

I'm not saying this happens at all clubs in Chicago, here are a few of my observations -

• The volunteers are segregated from the sailors
  • One incident I saw and heard where the volunteers were admonished by higher-ups in the club for interacting with the sailors as it was "unprofessional" and "creates and environment of favoritism" and "can lead to corrupting the system."  Want to guess what the looks on the faces of the volunteers were?  Whatever you imagine, you nailed it.

Many volunteers attend training programs, some earn certifications with lots of them paying out of pocket for those programs, certifications, housing, meals and hotels.  Commonly the clubs do pay for the volunteers meals on the water, and some after racing.  As Daley screwed up parking permanently in Chicago and is not inexpensive to park along the lakefront, the volunteers commonly pay for this burden as well.

Do the sailors do enough for the volunteers here?

54 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Season must be over...

Frostbiting at Belmont starts this Sunday.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Looper said:

You're right.  I'm just a lonely outsider making an uninformed observation.  And considering that the three crib fiasco was a north american championship regatta, you deserve the finest in expert RC work. 

I'm always thankful and appreciative of RC work.  Volunteers or not, good job or bad.  The alternative is to get myself out there to drop marks and wave flags.  I'm much happier racing.

Your reply, including the fact that you appear not to distinguish  the difference between "uniformed observation"  and "uniformed opinion", suggests that you do not believe in the dictum penned by Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield in the Letters to His Son on the Art of Becoming a Man of the World and  a Gentleman"whatever is worth doing at all, is worth doing well". 

Good luck with your lackadaisical attitude next time you have to repair a leaking roof over your head and/or educating your children, that is if you have any.

19 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

I'm going to take a huge step back and look at volunteers from the 20,000 foot view -

I've had the privilege of racing and have gone to over 100 yacht clubs across the U.S. and a few in other countries (five).  You see, and you learn by getting away from what you are accustomed to.  I've also spent an enormous amount of time volunteering at various levels in the sport/activity.

In many clubs elsewhere in the country, it is natural for complete interaction with the volunteers. The volunteers mingle with the sailors where you can't tell the difference between the two. Many host appreciation evenings for the volunteers, where the sailors pay for the dinners and drinks for the volunteers and various awards are given to the volunteers.

I'm not saying this happens at all clubs in Chicago, here are a few of my observations -

• The volunteers are segregated from the sailors
  • One incident I saw and heard where the volunteers were admonished by higher-ups in the club for interacting with the sailors as it was "unprofessional" and "creates and environment of favoritism" and "can lead to corrupting the system."  Want to guess what the looks on the faces of the volunteers were?  Whatever you imagine, you nailed it.

Many volunteers attend training programs, some earn certifications with lots of them paying out of pocket for those programs, certifications, housing, meals and hotels.  Commonly the clubs do pay for the volunteers meals on the water, and some after racing.  As Daley screwed up parking permanently in Chicago and is not inexpensive to park along the lakefront, the volunteers commonly pay for this burden as well.

Do the sailors do enough for the volunteers here?

I agree with you Glenn. In other parts of the country I have seen sailors buying drinks for PRO's and RC members. I have not seen that a lot in the Chicago area.

Back when I was racing the fleets made sure that the RC boat(s) was/were always stocked with appropriate beverages and munchies.  After racing there was a bar tab opened for the RC.   Members of the RC and their spouses/SOs got free tickets to the annual awards dinner.

One comment - I said nothing to COLYC regarding the scoring issue.  My guess is it was called in by others, or they knew there was an issue when they went to create flags for the winners.  My comments on improvements are at a much more strategic level that will take a significantly longer time to implement.

At least the documentation took a step forward.

On 9/30/2019 at 2:05 PM, TsunamiMike said:

One comment - I said nothing to COLYC regarding the scoring issue.  My guess is it was called in by others, or they knew there was an issue when they went to create flags for the winners.  My comments on improvements are at a much more strategic level that will take a significantly longer time to implement.

At least the documentation took a step forward.

You mean a day late and a dollar short just like when COLYC Colors Regatta Chair LK only ordered 3 brag flags although he needed twice as many, and then the genius accountant who could not count printed brag flag images on an 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper to give as awards.

https://www.facebook.com/skyway.yachtworks/photos/a.817351358475955.1073741842.127854647425633/817352221809202/?type=3&theater

1 hour ago, marcus brutus said:

You mean a day late and a dollar short just like when COLYC Colors Regatta Chair LK only ordered 3 brag flags although he needed twice as many, and then the genius accountant who could not count printed brag flag images on an 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper to give as awards.

https://www.facebook.com/skyway.yachtworks/photos/a.817351358475955.1073741842.127854647425633/817352221809202/?type=3&theater

damn son, the pickle dish that important.... I am sure there are plenty of us that could toss one or two your way to make you feel better if we need to, perhaps a gofundme? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 12345 said:

damn son, the pickle dish that important.... I am sure there are plenty of us that could toss one or two your way to make you feel better if we need to, perhaps a gofundme? 

Foxy grandpa,

Your attempt to deflect the subject from inapt Chicago are "volunteers" to pickle dish collectors failed miserably since I do not respect either. "elk".

If you wish to discuss the merits of the 2018 Colors Regatta Chair Lazy Larry who, after many years of substandard performance at ColYC, was finally replaced; I will be happy to oblige. 

But please try to keep your comments relevant.

14 hours ago, marcus brutus said:

Foxy grandpa,

Your attempt to deflect the subject from inapt Chicago are "volunteers" to pickle dish collectors failed miserably since I do not respect either. "elk".

If you wish to discuss the merits of the 2018 Colors Regatta Chair Lazy Larry who, after many years of substandard performance at ColYC, was finally replaced; I will be happy to oblige. 

I forgot that this string is for bashing other sailing community members for Volunteer work most don't want to do.

Over flags...seems a bit whiney.

15 hours ago, marcus brutus said:

Foxy grandpa,

you got the foxy part right, straight up dead to rights I am.... not a grandfather yet, working on it though. 

unfortunately some times for various reasons volunteers fail to live up to some peoples standards, but a free support staff is free. in all seriousness get involved more if you would like to see changes. not all volunteer positions are on the water, not sure the level of events you have put together but there are a lot of behind the scenes spots that are unsung and, unfortunately drop by the wayside. 

hugs buddy! seriously, need a pickle dish I am sure I can find one for you! 

24 minutes ago, proOC said:

I forgot that this string is for bashing other sailing community members for Volunteer work most don't want to do.

Over flags...seems a bit whiney.

Again you are incorrect; this thread documents major errors and omissions by volunteers who believe that "volunteers" should not be criticized.  If you can not stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

As Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield wrote in the Letters to His Son on the Art of Becoming a Man of the World and  a Gentleman"whatever is worth doing at all, is worth doing well". 

Had you only informed yourself of the facts you would have known that my posts were much more than about flags. 

Sailing instructions for a major regatta that started on 6/2 were posted on 5/31. That was unacceptable.

The reason that the there were only 3 brag flags ordered is that a volunteer genius had decided to have have 22 boats rating from -123 to +159 (range of 282 seconds per mile) race in only one section and had to be confronted with reality while kicking and screaming that his decision was also unacceptable.

You are welcome to disagree with me but you can not dispute the facts.

31 minutes ago, 12345 said:

you got the foxy part right, straight up dead to rights I am.... not a grandfather yet, working on it though. 

unfortunately some times for various reasons volunteers fail to live up to some peoples standards, but a free support staff is free. in all seriousness get involved more if you would like to see changes. not all volunteer positions are on the water, not sure the level of events you have put together but there are a lot of behind the scenes spots that are unsung and, unfortunately drop by the wayside. 

hugs buddy! seriously, need a pickle dish I am sure I can find one for you! 

It would be seriously disappointing if you really kept the pickle dishes, so I'll take all your pickle dish remarks figuratively.

1 hour ago, marcus brutus said:

Again you are incorrect; this thread documents major errors and omissions by volunteers who believe that "volunteers" should not be criticized.  If you can not stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

As Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield wrote in the Letters to His Son on the Art of Becoming a Man of the World and  a Gentleman"whatever is worth doing at all, is worth doing well". 

Had you only informed yourself of the facts you would have known that my posts were much more than about flags. 

Sailing instructions for a major regatta that started on 6/2 were posted on 5/31. That was unacceptable.

The reason that the there were only 3 brag flags ordered is that a volunteer genius had decided to have have 22 boats rating from -123 to +159 (range of 282 seconds per mile) race in only one section and had to be confronted with reality while kicking and screaming that his decision was also unacceptable.

You are welcome to disagree with me but you can not dispute the facts.

Dude, maybe it's time you be a race chair for a major event.  

“An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.” Mahatma Gandhi

• Like 1

Mr. Looper,

It is evident that you unconditionally defend the "volunteers" regardless of how indefensible their actions may be.

I reserve the right to call out poor performance whenever it occurs.

Rather than taking advantage of your witlessness, I suggest hat we agree to disagree.

If you want to pick a shit fight, do so with rcskywalker, the competitor who posted a scathing report regarding the V19 Nationals here

here

and here.

On 10/4/2019 at 5:14 PM, marcus brutus said:

Mr. Looper,

It is evident that you unconditionally defend the "volunteers" regardless of how indefensible their actions may be.

I reserve the right to call out poor performance whenever it occurs.

Rather than taking advantage of your witlessness, I suggest hat we agree to disagree.

So, what are YOU going to do to improve this situation?

You talk serious smack, but your words are worthless unless you step up and volunteer. When was the last time you suited up and sat in a powerboat to give back? You seem to feel that you have all the answers I am sure the RC would love to have someone with your apparent breadth of skills and knowledge.

Who is Marcus Brutus?! He seems so angry about stuff most of the planet cares less about. Based on the above I'm pretty sure he thinks Mount Gay hats are cool and a badge of honor to show Offshore Yacht Racing experience! Someone PM me the answer! I'm LOL here!

• Like 3

OK who lost the Rhodes 19 on the side of route 30 in Valparaiso Indiana this weekend? There was no tow vehicle just the boat on the trailer in a ditch...

On 9/24/2019 at 11:07 AM, marcus brutus said:

Those Chicago Area "volunteers" who demand respect but reject doubts regarding their performance managed to screw up scoring and then input phony RATING, FINISH TIME, ELAPSED TIME, and CORRECTED TIME values for the 3 CRIB FIASC0 at https://yachtscoring.com/event_results_detail.cfm?Race_Number=1&eID=9528

A week ago, they cancelled Commodore Stein Regatta at the start even though 12 boats registered and showed up at the starting line.  https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=9485

If any of you "volunteers" are reading this post, you should realize that your performance is unacceptable; shape up or ship out.

The 3 Crib Fiasco results took about 30 seconds to figure out, they used the minute to record place since it was a pursuit start.  It has since been sorted. 

Can you run RC for all of the events next season so we can all see how its done?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FRENZY said:

OK who lost the Rhodes 19 on the side of route 30 in Valparaiso Indiana this weekend? There was no tow vehicle just the boat on the trailer in a ditch...

Salvage costs too high. Not worth paying for the tow truck. RIP.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:35 AM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Who is Marcus Brutus?! He seems so angry about stuff most of the planet cares less about. Based on the above I'm pretty sure he thinks Mount Gay hats are cool and a badge of honor to show Offshore Yacht Racing experience! Someone PM me the answer! I'm LOL here!

Once he starts using colored fonts, then we’ll know who it is. 

From CCYC

Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Let's Sail Again ... The Weather's Fine. 
Wednesday October 8 @ 6:15 & Friday October 10 @ 7pm

The OffShore Fleet will race Wednesday night, and the bar will be open - for awhile following - but the course will be adjusted to accommodate the darkness, short-handed sailing, and the marks.  Race start is 6:15 @ drop mark outside Montrose Harbor Entrance - then out to Wilson Crib and back.  See special pursuit times here: click tab Special Crib Race.  Monitor VHF 72 for complete Race Details.  Friday Night will be the regular Moonlight Series Race - start time 7pm.

Kudos to the CCYC volunteers. 

After removing all (9) standing marks from the water, pressure washing and storing them for the winter, they creatively found a way to extend the racing season by thinking outside the box.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:35 AM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

In looking at his post history there aren't a lot of crotchety guys that have 60 years of racing experience, access to a 35-40ft "sport" boat and receive the CCYC mailing list.  I've got a very short list of who I think it is.

56 minutes ago, Looper said:

In looking at his post history there aren't a lot of crotchety guys that have 60 years of racing experience, access to a 35-40ft "sport" boat and receive the CCYC mailing list.  I've got a very short list of who I think it is.

It is sad that, much like Trump, you are vindictive and unable to tolerate difference of opinion or any criticism no matter how valid. 

As Einstein observed "It may be possible to fight intolerance, stupidity, and fanaticism separately, but when they come together there is no hope."

One of my favorite quotes regarding tolerance is by George Washington Carver: "Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the wrong. Sometime in life you will have been all of these.”

6 minutes ago, marcus brutus said:

It is sad that, much like Trump, you are vindictive and unable to tolerate difference of opinion or any criticism no matter how valid. 

As Einstein observed "It may be possible to fight intolerance, stupidity, and fanaticism separately, but when they come together there is no hope."

One of my favorite quotes regarding tolerance is by George Washington Carver: "Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the wrong. Sometime in life you will have been all of these.”

You are absolutely right.  I am unable to tolerate the actions of those who choose to publically criticize the volunteers whose goal it is to promote, support and build our sport.

It might be best if you took a moment to think about a time in your 60 years of sailing when you did something great to grow sailboat racing.  Go do that instead.

Otherwise, you are just part of the problem.

8 minutes ago, Looper said:

You are absolutely right.  I am unable to tolerate the actions of those who choose to publically criticize the volunteers whose goal it is to promote, support and build our sport.

It might be best if you took a moment to think about a time in your 60 years of sailing when you did something great to grow sailboat racing.  Go do that instead.

10 minutes ago, Looper said:
23 minutes ago, marcus brutus said:

Trump was a volunteer who with his promise to "Make America Great Again" claimed that his goal was to promote, support, and build USA.

Should that insulate him from all public criticism?

6 hours ago, Looper said:

I've got him narrowed down to three people, all of whom do little sailing and complain a lot about everyone else is doing things.  Actually I am pretty sure who it is and I thought he was booted from SA for being a pain.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grinder said:

Every post he’s giving himself away.  

i totally need him or her to quote more people named george before I can figure it out.  

• Like 1

Related image

Not a big God believer but more so than know-it-alls and one uppers...

8 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

i totally need him or her to quote more people named george before I can figure it out.  

He takes pryde in his posts.

9 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Surprisingly its not George, I just sorted who he is.  Another bitter old man who got the boot from the YC a few years back.  His exit email was epic though!  Turns out he taught me everything I know about sailing.

George solidified my ride into a new class years ago.  I owe em one, but that's about it.

Saw him out cruising about a month ago....

1 hour ago, Bad Andy said:

Surprisingly its not George, I just sorted who he is.  Another bitter old man who got the boot from the YC a few years back.  His exit email was epic though!  Turns out he taught me everything I know about sailing.

Well, hopefully he goes back into hiding until the next time he decides to write an analysis of a MOB or wants to shame volunteers on SA.

16 hours ago, Looper said:

On second thought, don't.

1 hour ago, Bad Andy said:

Exit Email = Paste and Copy Here__________________________________________________-

• Like 1

23 hours ago, marcus brutus said:

From CCYC

Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Let's Sail Again ... The Weather's Fine. 
Wednesday October 8 @ 6:15 & Friday October 10 @ 7pm

The OffShore Fleet will race Wednesday night, and the bar will be open - for awhile following - but the course will be adjusted to accommodate the darkness, short-handed sailing, and the marks.  Race start is 6:15 @ drop mark outside Montrose Harbor Entrance - then out to Wilson Crib and back.  See special pursuit times here: click tab Special Crib Race.  Monitor VHF 72 for complete Race Details.  Friday Night will be the regular Moonlight Series Race - start time 7pm.

Kudos to the CCYC volunteers. 

After removing all (9) standing marks from the water, pressure washing and storing them for the winter, they creatively found a way to extend the racing season by thinking outside the box.

Not to be picky but Wednesday is October 9th and Friday is the 11th

29 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

Not to be picky but Wednesday is October 9th and Friday is the 11th

burn the volunteers! 

mob1.jpg

57 minutes ago, 12345 said:

Not to be picky but Wednesday is October 9th and Friday is the 11th

And racing marks are still out there...

54 minutes ago, sidmon said:

And racing marks are still out there...

The trapezoid course for an SE course is out there, all others have been pulled.  CCYC opted to do this course as it takes about 20 minutes of commute to the course out of play and utilizes marks that are lit.  On the CCYC circle it's almost completely dark by the time boats start and the trapezoid marks aren't lit.

1 minute ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Was really dark out there last night by 7:30. How many boats did the CCYC circle get?

10-12 boats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Looper said:

10-12 boats.

What were the lessons learned, if any, that could be used by the R/C to improve similar events in the future?

39 minutes ago, ChiGuy said:

Nice night on the lake... not much wind though

Plenty of wind about a mile offshore.

Raced against him for many years.  No one could hurdle the obstacles he faced if they didn't have a pure love of sailing.  Very sad.

I did my first 2 Macs with Dorsey.  1998 & 1999

Everlasting respect to him.  
RIP. 

The amount of Chicago sailors who went through his program must number in the hundreds.   

7 minutes ago, Grinder said:

I did my first 2 Macs with Dorsey.  1998 & 1999

Everlasting respect to him.  
RIP. 

The amount of Chicago sailors who went through his program must number in the hundreds.   

I sailed with him 2001 through around 2005, it was my introduction to Chicago sailing. Dorsey was the only person who responded when I moved here and was looking for a ride. Met a lot of wonderful people.

I was in college at the time and came up for a summer and raced the first season the SM2 Sydney 41 came out of the box from AUS. I was the mast guy and back up for everyone's favorite Bowman's Union on the pointy end.

Sad news coming in from the Inland Lake Yachting Association -

image.png.95d32c4750cff8502ec3266d6c2b9922.png
A Man of Brilliance, Heart and Humor

ILYA Commodore Olaf Harken passed away this morning after a weekend of accolades and family. Harken was presented with a lifetime achievement award at Saturday's Pewaukee Awards Dinner. He was present with his family to receive the award. 

A formal obituary and a copy of Pewaukee's Saturday night presentation will be forthcoming. 

Many will have words to say about Olaf but the editor was privileged to serve on the ILYA Executive Committee with Olaf. Memories abound but his neverending compendium of Ole and Lena jokes is enough to bring a wide grin to my face as I write this. Traveling to the upper Nort' for Board meetings, Olaf would regale us with his Scandinavian tales. And courage. . . we honestly left him in a sketchy part of town once since he insisted we stop at a gas station for directions. With his broad shoulders and commanding presence, he walked into the shady establishment to save us from our bewilderment (maybe you can blame Commodore Jeff Baker for our lost condition). We returned to fetch him but with our doors locked as we HOPED he would return to us. ---- This is just a smidgen of the exploits we all recall about Olaf. 

Make no mistake, this was a savvy, wise, brilliant man. He was always thinking, creating, planning. He was a wonder to watch --- and we did as he led us through some difficult times in the ILYA. He was resolute in his love for our boats and loyal to the ILYA organization of scows but also his friends. But his mind was pure in its execution. He knew clearly where we should head. He was a model for me to emulate as we faced challenges in administering multiple classes. He taught me about the "business" of maintaining a class. 

He taught me to be generous with my time and talents and resources. He was a commodore who thanked his board. He charitably supported education of the Board and the sailors. It was Olaf who brought Dick Rose to the ILYA and he broadened our understanding of the creation, molding and execution of rules.

He left his mark and his friends with rich memories of his path.

In the editor's "other life", as a leadership experience on a management committee, we were asked to list three individuals who shaped our lives. Others mentioned persons in our field, I pondered only a few moments and listed Olaf on my list of three. Little did he know how his way of life, transcended what I did in other areas of my life. I can confidently and proudly say Olaf shaped part of who we are and the contributions many make to sailing. I personally was so enriched to count Olaf Harken as a friend.  

Any of ya'all would like to do a mast up river trip through the bridges tomorrow, Wednesday, or know some who would? Bring a friend or friends? PM me.
Thanks.

so what's good?  Whats going on interesting re: A:3?  Heard something about some A3 locals heading out to do the Newp-Bermuda on a lil older warhorse, anyone know anything?

2019 Area III Racing

It being the time of year when it seems like the new season may never happen I've done my usual
data orgy to try to learn what happened last season. This year I've expanded this to all of Area III.
There are four organizations which organize racing seasons; Casra, the consortium of five yacht clubs
which together organized 26 regattas, the ColYC (Columbia Yacht Club) 11 beer race series, the
CCYC (Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club) 9 beer race series and MORF (Midwest Open Racing Fleet)
31 race season. Then there is the CYC (Chicago Yacht Club) race to Mackinac which is in a category
by itself. I've counted the number of starters in each of these races. Races are categorized by course
as either buoy or distance in either one design (1D) or handicap scoring divisions. Highlights are:

There were 4197 starters in the 2019 season.
◦ There were equal number of One Design and handicap starters.
◦ 3⁄4 are buoy race starts.
  ▪ 2/3 of all buoy starts are in Casra races.
  ▪ 70% of the Casra buoy starters are in 3 regattas; Colors, NOOD and Verve.
  ▪ Casra buoy starters are ~80% One Design.
  ▪ Other organizers together are >80% handicap starters.
  ▪ >25% of all buoy starters were in one of the Wednesday night Beer race series
◦There were 26 distance races. Three of these had >100 starters; the Mac race, the
Chicago to St Joe 1st leg of the Tri-state race and the race to Waugekan, totaling 1⁄2 of all
distance starters.

40% of the One Design starters were from the T-10 fleet; about 10% each were from the
Beneteau 36.7, Beneteau 40.7, J109, and J111 fleets.

There were 497 different boats who signed up for at least one race.
◦ 1/3 started only one race
◦ The top ten most active boats started 42 or more races each for 1/8 of all starters
◦ The top 25 most active boats started 34 or more races each for 1/4 of all starters
◦ The top 67 most active boats started 21 or more races each for 1/2 of all starters

• Like 1

Following is copy of a letter that I sent to the Board of Directors of a local yacht club that had the temerity to remind me to pay my dues before April 1.

Good morning, Xxxxx

Given the fact that Corona Virus Pandemic has been declared a National Emergency, and that XXXX member activities are likely to be severely curtailed, the Board of Directors should consider mitigating payment of 2020 membership dues. 

If not, consider the fact that many members will chose not to renew because the benefits received are no longer commensurate to the cost of membership.

Attached is XXXX Form 990 which confirms that the XXXX financial reserves would make my proposal not only feasible but also the right thing for the Board of Directors to do immediately.
With kindest regards,
Xxxxxx

If you're as much of an ass to your fellow club members as you are to the members of this forum, I doubt too many of them would be upset if you didn't pay your dues.

3 hours ago, dcbsheb said:

If you're as much of an ass to your fellow club members as you are to the members of this forum, I doubt too many of them would be upset if you didn't pay your dues.

Nice ad hominem rant. When you can't dispute the facts, attack messenger.

Did you vote for TRump?