Grinder

Chicago Area III

Wait, Raven was OCS on the start they tried to fake you guys out?

General recall... don't think the r/c could tell who else was OCS with EW so far over.

Real count. Didn't fall for it but Raven had leeward rights and forced us to round up. I think we were all OCS. Made me check my watch though and wonder "what the..." and I know the Raven boys had a great laugh!

Maybe this should be covered in the newbie bowman tips thread.

p.s. don't listen for the "TRIP" call from another boat (i.e from Raven).

Man, you guys are having all the fun....

Wait, Raven was OCS on the start they tried to fake you guys out?

General recall... don't think the r/c could tell who else was OCS with EW so far over.

(from the cheap seats)

Who wasn't over!!??

Raven

I have manually scored the ORR section. The racing was extremely tight with only seconds between boats on corrected time. I had to use tie breakers for second/third place and for forth/fifth. Preliminary Raven wins by one point

ORR										
Standing	Sail #	Yacht Name	ORR 50/50 Coef	Owner	              Race 1	Race 2	Race 3	Race 4	Race 5	Total
1	USA 52643 	Raven 	        1.010	        Stan Bailey 	        4	1	3	2	1	11
2	USA 38006 	Eagle 	        0.954	        Shawn/Jerry O'Neill 	3	3	1	1	4	12
3	USA 52144 	Eagles Wings 	0.986	        John Gottwald 	        2	2	2	3	3	12
4	USA 35004 	Heartbreaker 	0.959	        Eric Oesterle 	        1	5	4	5	5	20
5	USA 02615 	Scout 	        0.991	        Dorsey Ruley 	        5	4	5	4	2	20

I have manually scored the ORR section. The racing was extremely tight with only seconds between boats on corrected time. I had to use tie breakers for second/third place and for forth/fifth. Preliminary Raven wins by one point

ORR										
Standing	Sail #	Yacht Name	ORR 50/50 Coef	Owner	              Race 1	Race 2	Race 3	Race 4	Race 5	Total

Thank you for the results. I know the weather was not cooperating, so great job getting the races in with trying condtions. We appreciate the relatively small wait time between races and combining starts helps to this end. One suggestion... please consider removing the extra 5 minutes in the starting sequence between the T10's and J105's, I don't think it's necessary.

Thank you again for doing a great job!

One suggestion... please consider removing the extra 5 minutes in the starting sequence between the T10's and J105's, I don't think it's necessary.

Not so sure about that I think it got added because everyone thought it was necessary. T10 fleet really chops up the air at the SA plus the J105s end up rounding with the T10 at the second windward mark if you dont space them out. No one likes either of these thing. Just my opinion. I agree a short time between races is generally good for the fleet

Are you seriously suggesting that the five T-10s that were racing are chopping up the air???

Also, it's a mixed class regatta...some fleet is ALWAYS rounding the marks with another fleet.

Not so sure about that I think it got added because everyone thought it was necessary. T10 fleet really chops up the air at the SA plus the J105s end up rounding with the T10 at the second windward mark if you dont space them out. No one likes either of these thing. Just my opinion. I agree a short time between races is generally good for the fleet

ORR										

I made a mistake in scoring the first race. Raven should be 3rd, Eagle 4th. As you can see below that will change 2 and and 3 place.

Standing	Sail #	Yacht Name	ORR 50/50 Coef	Owner	               Race 1	Race 2	Race 3	Race 4	Race 5	Total
1	USA 52643 	Raven 	           1.010	Stan Bailey 	        3	1	3	2	1	10
2	USA 52144 	Eagles Wings 	   0.986	John Gottwald 	        2	2	2	3	3	12
3	USA 38006 	Eagle 	           0.954	Shawn/Jerry O'Neill 	4	3	1	1	4	13
4	USA 35004 	Heartbreaker 	   0.959	Eric Oesterle 	        1	5	4	5	5	20
5	USA 02615 	Scout 	           0.991	Dorsey Ruley 	        5	4	5	4	2	20

Thank you Dennis for pointing out the error

What up with 5 t-tens? Where was everyone?

CYC decided to do their own little thing on Saturday on their racing circle.

Too bad, because I'd think five races, the weekend before NOOD, is a much better way to warm up than just a single-day, two race event.

First, I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your assessment of the decision however, let's be clear on what is happening. CYC doesn't "decide to do their own little thing." The members of the CYC T-10 fleet made that choice. When the additional fleets were added to CYC OD, the FCs of those fleets got to pick and choose which dates they would do. For whatever reason the group decided it would rather race on the CYC OD circle for $10 ($45 for non-members) and get 2 races rather than pay $150 and get somewhere from 2 to 6 races.

Maybe it was a bang-for-buck decision? I can imagine a CYC T-10 owner saying "Why pay $75/day for two days of racing when I can pay $10 and get one day?"

Too bad, because I'd think five races, the weekend before NOOD, is a much better way to warm up than just a single-day, two race event.

I think there are a lot of theories as to "why?" but none of the ones I've heard really explain why they picked dates that directly coincided with the Colors.

I agree, money could be part of the reason. $10 is a great deal if you are a CYC member. $45 is a good deal if you are not. But unfortunately, if you are not a member, that $45 deal is only good for this year. Then it will be the cost of a CYC membership + $10.

I don't like the idea of multiple starts, on the same day in our fleet, and if CYC does it again next year, they will have assured essentially that. I also don't like the idea of clubs crapping on each others events without at least attempting to coordinate, with each other. It would be good if our fleet stays together, that is what has kept it strong for so long, and it would be good if our clubs worked together, instead of fighting for market-share.

Colors was fun, and it was a great weekend to get the bugs out!!!

First, I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your assessment of the decision however, let's be clear on what is happening. CYC doesn't "decide to do their own little thing." The members of the CYC T-10 fleet made that choice. When the additional fleets were added to CYC OD, the FCs of those fleets got to pick and choose which dates they would do. For whatever reason the group decided it would rather race on the CYC OD circle for $10 ($45 for non-members) and get 2 races rather than pay $150 and get somewhere from 2 to 6 races.

Maybe it was a bang-for-buck decision? I can imagine a CYC T-10 owner saying "Why pay $75/day for two days of racing when I can pay $10 and get one day?"

I think there are a lot of theories as to "why?" but none of the ones I've heard really explain why they picked dates that directly coincided with the Colors.

I agree, money could be part of the reason. $10 is a great deal if you are a CYC member. $45 is a good deal if you are not. But unfortunately, if you are not a member, that $45 deal is only good for this year. Then it will be the cost of a CYC membership + $10.

I don't like the idea of multiple starts, on the same day in our fleet, and if CYC does it again next year, they will have assured essentially that. I also don't like the idea of clubs crapping on each others events without at least attempting to coordinate, with each other. It would be good if our fleet stays together, that is what has kept it strong for so long, and it would be good if our clubs worked together, instead of fighting for market-share.

Colors was fun, and it was a great weekend to get the bugs out!!!

CYC would not have offered it unless your T10 Fleet asked for that day as a race day. Don't blame you for being upset that your fleet was split but your beef lies with your T10 class NOT the yacht club that your T10 class aproached for a race date.

CYC would not have offered it unless your T10 Fleet asked for that day as a race day. Don't blame you for being upset that your fleet was split but your beef lies with your T10 class NOT the yacht club that your T10 class aproached for a race date.

I don't entirely agree with that assumption, but I do agree that if I were to have a beef, it would be with both.

No.

Seems CYC planned a race day for more than just T10s on a weekend known as a 'big' COL race weekend. No?

Anyone who knows me knows I am not a CYC apologist. Far from it actually.

CYC has been holding OD racing on Saturdays since at least 1974, and almost certainly a lot earlier than that. If we are going by who is stepping on whose toes, then the guilty party is Columbia for scheduling racing on a weekend that CYC was already holding racing.

But that isn't the point.

The bottom line, as FL already mentioned, is that for 2011, the CYC members who owned offshore OD boats approached CYC (NOT the other way around) and demanded that they be allowed to race with the 'traditional' CYC OD fleets (currently the Etchells, Shields and Luder 16s). After a LOT of discussion that was approved and they got to select their race dates. If you want to see who scheduled a CYC T-10 race for the same weekend as Colors LOOK AT THE MEMBERS OF CYC WHO OWN T-10s. CYC only did what they were asked to do by that fleet.

Damn It - Except for "demanded that they be allowed" I have to agree with what he wrote!

Damn It..Damn It...

No.

Seems CYC planned a race day for more than just T10s on a weekend known as a 'big' COL race weekend. No?

CYC has been holding OD racing on Saturdays since at least 1974, and almost certainly a lot earlier than that. If we are going by who is stepping on whose toes, then the guilty party is Columbia for scheduling racing on a weekend that CYC was already holding racing.

The bottom line, as FL already mentioned, is that for 2011, the CYC members who owned offshore OD boats approached CYC (NOT the other way around) and demanded that they be allowed to race with the 'traditional' CYC OD fleets (currently the Etchells, Shields and Luder 16s). After a LOT of discussion that was approved and they got to select their race dates. If you want to see who scheduled a CYC T-10 race for the same weekend as Colors LOOK AT THE MEMBERS OF CYC WHO OWN T-10s. CYC only did what they were asked to do by that fleet.

Thanks. Makes sense.

No.

Thanks. Makes sense.

No.

No.

You just touched upon my fear. Now there is the CYC T-10 fleet, and everyone else? I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just saying that a new event which ultimately requires membership at CYC to participate is not consistent with there being only one fleet; unless of course, everyone joins CYC.

[edit]: And I also said that I don't like to see two starts on the same day. A separate issue which also contributes to the same fear.

Thank you for the results. I know the weather was not cooperating, so great job getting the races in with trying condtions. We appreciate the relatively small wait time between races and combining starts helps to this end. One suggestion... please consider removing the extra 5 minutes in the starting sequence between the T10's and J105's, I don't think it's necessary.

+ a bunch

No.

You just touched upon my fear. Now there is the CYC T-10 fleet, and everyone else? I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just saying that a new event which ultimately requires membership at CYC to participate is not consistent with there being only one fleet; unless of course, everyone joins CYC.

[edit]: And I also said that I don't like to see two starts on the same day. A separate issue which also contributes to the same fear.

It's ANARCHY I tell you... ANARCHY!!!

+ a bunch

If one were to have a J30 boom reinforced with a provided boom vang fitting, who would one choose to do the work, with welding included?

would it be Crowley's riggers, or an independent?

jim c

If one were to have a J30 boom reinforced with a provided boom vang fitting, who would one choose to do the work, with welding included?

jim c

Check with Teddy. He has a machine shop.

jim c

In the past, Crowley's sent out the welding work. If you know where you want the fitting attached and do not need rigging work, you would be money ahead finding a welder on your own.

Nomination for best post of 2011!

It's ANARCHY I tell you... ANARCHY!!!

I don't believe that Crowley's can weld aluminum. Kristian knows a good place to get aluminum welding done.

jim c

in the past we got some welding done at Bullow welding on Belmont and Western.They welded some stainless for me in the past during the NA,s but I know they do lots of welding

DC

Ok ,let me tell you how the J-105s chose to work with the CYC OD fleet out of Belmont.

At our spring meeting we decided AS A FLEET that we will sail 3 race days at Belmont and it will be part of the BOY series.We also race 2 race days at CCYC and 1 race day at Columbia for our BOY series.

I do not know who approached who, but Norris came to our meeting and wanted us to join them at Belmont and we accepted.My club does weekend series at CCYC during the Colors and some of us chose to do color some chose to stay home.Colors was never a big deal for the T 10's, but our fleet allways considered racing the ,boaters ,west marine and now colors regatta.

I also know that we were invited this year at CYC by not being memebers but I am also aware that there may be some kind a waiver given to us only for one year and the by laws need to be changed if they will be able to invite us back next year.Is this true ? please chime in

I will not consider joining CYC for a series of racing as I am happy at my blue color club that I have been a memeber for 15 years .Nothing against CYC ..

DC

Give the guy a break...

"The owner is believed to have just bought the boat on Tuesday, the Coast Guard said."

:o

We did, a break wall.

I hope he gets a bill for the clean up...

[golf clap]

if god works in mysterious ways, darwin works in the most obvious and predictable ways possible.

jim c

You run out of duct tape???

No.

Wasn't Colors scheduled on the traditional Chicago to Michigan city race weekend when it began?

Just pointing out that Columbia decided to host a Regatta that was on the same date as a long standing race.

I believe it was the OD group that didn't like going Port to Port that drove the decision to offer an alternative.

They also threw a party on the Saturday of Verve Cup even going so far as Columbia members walking the CYC docks telling people that the party was at Columbia that night.

We solved that by hiring Montgomery street for the VERVE the following year :P

They have the fenders on the wrong side of the boat.

Give the guy a break...

"The owner is believed to have just bought the boat on Tuesday, the Coast Guard said."

:o

At least in few years they'll be able to laugh about this.

"Remeber that day I had a boat"

jim c

Bulaw Welding Moved: Here is their info:

http://www.bulawwelding.com/info.html

Wasn't Colors scheduled on the traditional Chicago to Michigan city race weekend when it began?

Just pointing out that Columbia decided to host a Regatta that was on the same date as a long standing race.

I believe it was the OD group that didn't like going Port to Port that drove the decision to offer an alternative.

Colors, nee Boater's World, began in response to a request of the IMS fleet who did not do the Chg-MC race. Originally it was an IMS-only regatta, put on for the IMS boats that would otherwise be siting at the dock that weekend. It was a success due to the amount of racing that was offered (multiple days, multiple W/L races - somewhat of a novelty back then), and as a result other fleets (primarily OD, but PHRF/level too) wanted to be part of the action instead of going to MC. It did not COMPETE w/Chgo-MC - the two events couldn't be more dissimilar, precluding any concept of competition. Col YC simply offered what was ASKED for, made it work, and now owners have voted with their boats and their wallets. What a concept - giving owners/sailors something they want.

I asked FL this the other day. He didn't know the answer. Maybe one of you geniuses biggrin.gif can explain it to me:

How does a boat have a corrected time of 00:00:00 for a race?

New results for colors, ORR.

I guess the more you email the better your rating gets.......

I asked FL this the other day. He didn't know the answer. Maybe one of you geniuses biggrin.gif can explain it to me:

I'd guess it was beacuse the scoring wasn't yet completed.

Ok kids, lets all play nicely this weekend. There's company in town ya' know.

post-10660-060981900 1307644113_thumb.jpg

A day before NOOD...

Did I missed out and not invited?

Party? Friday or Saturday?

Which boat on CYC's dock do we congregate for drinks?

Tent on Rave-on?

Jager tap on the blue boat?

Topless swimmer?

Who will be this years Chicago NOOD Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators and Weather Prophet Extraordinary?

Weather bitches!

You asked for it, you got it:

No charge.

Chaos

post-1733-021698100 1307651085_thumb.jpg

Good luck to everyone tommorrow. See ya out there & at the club after, Yo.

I'm beat. Good thing the fog lifted and we had 3 very nice races. Thanks CYC and the A course team.

DC,

Thank you once again for letting me tag along yesterday on your mighty fine yacht. Had some (freexing, foggy) fun!

You have a great crew! I hope I didn't lead them astray with the pre-race beers and the lovely 15 year old single malt.

E-mail me your home address and I'll send you a check for the swimming winch handle. (Next time, don't duck when I throw it at you!)

Cheers,

Chaos

P.S. I REALLY miss racing in the 105 fleet. That is some top notch OD shit!!!

Chaos.

Too bad the wife won the 36 class... she spent 3 full days out there getting beat to shit. You only spent one day out there and your boat still won. Wish Moms the best for me. Met another gal from Glasga at the party tonight.

DC,

Thank you once again for letting me tag along yesterday on your mighty fine yacht. Had some (freexing, foggy) fun!

You have a great crew! I hope I didn't lead them astray with the pre-race beers and the lovely 15 year old single malt.

E-mail me your home address and I'll send you a check for the swimming winch handle. (Next time, don't duck when I throw it at you!)

Cheers,

Chaos

You are welcome ,

Do not think I will go shopping for you.You threw the handle at me and did not hit me ,so U bad

I do have a Gill shirt for you with the NOODS 1st place.I know you have some home but I do have one with 2011 on it.

Hard fought regatta,we had to come from behind in the last leg and picked up a boat by a matter of inches to give us the regatta.congrats to the Striking,sealark,and the rest of the J 105 fleet for a great regatta.Also cudos to the CYC circle C RC for giving us great racing

DC

What a weekend. Whomever I pissed off on Friday, I'm sorry, I was hammered. Hammered, I tell ya!

Great sailing on Mirageeee. Great job RC on Circle A!

DC,

Cheers,

Chaos

You are welcome ,

Do not think I will go shopping for you.You threw the handle at me and did not hit me ,so U bad

I do have a Gill shirt for you with the NOODS 1st place.I know you have some home but I do have one with 2011 on it.

Hard fought regatta,we had to come from behind in the last leg and picked up a boat by a matter of inches to give us the regatta.congrats to the Striking,sealark,and the rest of the J 105 fleet for a great regatta.Also cudos to the CYC circle C RC for giving us great racing

DC

Congrats DC and the entire MJ crew!

You guys sailed lights out fast all weekend in pretty challenging conditions.

A hard fought and well deserved win...nice work.

A big congrats to Striking and Sealark as well...very close and competitive racing all weekend.

Kudos to RC on Circle C...thanks for all the hard work...we really appreciate it.

MC

USA 104

Kudos to CYC Race Committee. We were on circle A for the NOODs and they did a great job getting in races! Thank you.

Did circle a get in 1 or 2 races yesterday? Same for circle c? we got 1 in on circle b, great job by RC all weekend, fog was crazy for last race friday though.

Chaos.

Too bad the wife won the 36 class... she spent 3 full days out there getting beat to shit. You only spent one day out there and your boat still won. Wish Moms the best for me. Met another gal from Glasga at the party tonight.

Why "Too bad"??? WTF?

Did circle a get in 1 or 2 races yesterday? Same for circle c? we got 1 in on circle b, great job by RC all weekend, fog was crazy for last race friday though.

We got in two races yesterday on Circle A. Bang - Bang they turned it around quick. Challenging conditions in the fog on Friday and Saturday, the race committee did a great job.

Closing speeds were rather quick in the fog, interesting stuff. Fun weekend!

MACKINAC QUESTION

Anyone need a car to drive to the island one way (delivery folks?) Found out out shuttle driver from last year won't be able to do it this year.

We are racing on Quicksilver, but come from KY, so it is far easier for us to go straight back.

Thanks!

We got in two races yesterday on Circle A. Bang - Bang they turned it around quick. Challenging conditions in the fog on Friday and Saturday, the race committee did a great job.

Closing speeds were rather quick in the fog, interesting stuff. Fun weekend!

Circle B had a situation with the markset boat yesterday...I think we would of done 2 if that did not happen, but what can you do about that. Yesterday was a great day for sailing in chicago (sun, wind and small waves) and good racing all weekend in our class.

Who was the 505 out on the A course yesterday? Didn't look like Craig. Looked like they were having some fun.

I was out in the 505 - it was a great time. Anyone interested in checking the boat out sometime or going for a sail, please let me know.

I was out in the 505 - it was a great time. Anyone interested in checking the boat out sometime or going for a sail, please let me know.

Dunno if you could put up with an auld phart... I'll see what I can do on a Thursday night maybe?

Dunno if you could put up with an auld phart... I'll see what I can do on a Thursday night maybe?

Anyone know if we are going to have summer this year?

It is over. Didn't you get the memo?

:(

Anyone know if we are going to have summer this year?

It is over. Didn't you get the memo?

:(

Hopefully it will reappear July 16th-19th.

All the best to Pain Killer and crew as they head across the pond to race in Croatia.

kick some ass.

Random question of the day. Anyone know where to get some dry ice in Chicago?

Most Ice Cream shops can help you out. Baskin Robbins, Coldstone Creamery. You making a Witches Brew DH?

Clicky

Here's a link for actual ice stores.

Are you doing the Solo one this weekend or regular Mac in July?

I may not be a rocket scientist, but it looks like you are coming in from out of town. On another site I saw you were going to Crowleys and will have a vehicle. I would use Polar Ice Company. Not too hard to find. It is listed in the search 12345 did for you.

91 boats going to Waukegan. Dang. I feel we will have more beer than any of them. Pray for Wind.

91 boats going to Waukegan. Dang. I feel we will have more beer than any of them. Pray for Wind.

Beer or Miller Lite? (rhymes with shite)

... I feel we will have more beer than any of them. Pray for Wind.

Ha! I'm racing on Gonzo for the race. If it's a beer challenge, you're fucked.

You homos on that boat are probably drinking wine coolers out of the bottle

Wine coolers out of the bottel = better than Miller Shite any day of the week.

Grinder, If I was you, I'd stay the fuck out of this argument until you start drinking real beer.

Chaos

Wine coolers out of the bottel = better than Miller Shite any day of the week.

Grinder, If I was you, I'd stay the fuck out of this argument until you start drinking real beer.

Chaos

Are you racing to Waukegan tomorrow? What boat are you on? If you get hit with a mason jar of moonshine as I pass, take that as an informal introduction! :)