Grinder

Chicago Area III

11 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

This is what will drive the racing discussion in Chicago...

Boat Length Max. Capacity (Including kids < 17 years old) Max. # of Adults
<25 feet 6 4
26-36 feet 8 6
>36 feet 10 8

....so back to the crew limits. Anyone want to take a stab about this this will impact racing? J/111 and the big odd ball boats certainly wouldn't be able to hike flat...

20 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

....so back to the crew limits. Anyone want to take a stab about this this will impact racing? J/111 and the big odd ball boats certainly wouldn't be able to hike flat...

reef early and often

There is some distance race being run out of Harbor Springs for the TP52 fleet.   Around Beaver & Manitous.   

Who’s got the skinny?   

2 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

At first blush, it means that if you can only take say 8 adults on a F40, then they all have to be key, experienced players, especially in challenging condiutions - no room for "learning" or "developmental" positions or "bring a friend who may like racing". Hopefully one can find a couple under 18's that know their way around and bring the total up to ten. Maybe a side effect is getting more younger (high school) kids out there. On something bigger (TP52s, etc.) it will definitely be a challenge both in manuevers and in rail meat. Which means not sailing at 100%, whereas smaller boats may be able to. This leads to the possibility that in  handicap situation in a class that has say 40-footers up to 70-footers, the smaller boats will haev a built-in advantage. Now let's go appeal our 2020 LMPHRF handicap since we can't sail at "full strength"!   All for a PHRF race!    :P

One thing that CASRA/YCs/Class Associations will have to come to grips with - do they put in their NOR/SIs some statement to the effect that "Exceeding the crew limitation imposed by the State of IL will not be grounds for protest. This does not affect protests for violations of crew limitations imposed by Class or Rating/Handicap Rules"? Or do they open themselves up to competitors policing this (State of IL compliance)?

14 minutes ago, JoeO said:

At first blush, it means that if you can only take say 8 adults on a F40, then they all have to be key, experienced players, especially in challenging condiutions - no room for "learning" or "developmental" positions or "bring a friend who may like racing". Hopefully one can find a couple under 18's that know their way around and bring the total up to ten. Maybe a side effect is getting more younger (high school) kids out there. On something bigger (TP52s, etc.) it will definitely be a challenge both in manuevers and in rail meat. Which means not sailing at 100%, whereas smaller boats may be able to. This leads to the possibility that in  handicap situation in a class that has say 40-footers up to 70-footers, the smaller boats will haev a built-in advantage. Now let's go appeal our 2020 LMPHRF handicap since we can't sail at "full strength"!   All for a PHRF race!    :P

One thing that CASRA/YCs/Class Associations will have to come to grips with - do they put in their NOR/SIs some statement to the effect that "Exceeding the crew limitation imposed by the State of IL will not be grounds for protest. This does not affect protests for violations of crew limitations imposed by Class or Rating/Handicap Rules"? Or do they open themselves up to competitors policing this (State of IL compliance)?

An SC70 is easily sailed by 8 competent sailors.

2 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

J/111 are fine with 8.  That is the typical crew number based on the one design weight limit.  We usually sail with 7 because I am fat.

Hroth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

reef early and often

And live with the astertisk.

47 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Whaddabout railmeat in 20+ ?

25 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Whaddabout railmeat in 20+ ?

Oh ffs, who gives a crap,

if you have to give up the small number of 20+  race days that Chicago gets in June/Aug that's not going to be the worst thing that happened this year.

7 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

Oh ffs, who gives a crap,

if you have to give up the small number of 20+  race days that Chicago gets in June/Aug that's not going to be the worst thing that happened this year.

I'm not saying I do. I'm more than happy to go out and race with whatever we get dealt - this isn't the "Worlds' or what not, its Chicago PHRF/OD racing. Big deal. if it's blowing 18-20+ and we're sailing with 8, we'll ajusrt

My question was more theoretical  - as to whether C20S didn't think the extra rail meat of 4-6 folk on an SC70 was noticeable in breeze, or how much it might matter. My thinking says "some". Buddahh knows that when going around the top mark on many boats, getting peeple off the rail too early in anticipation of the set is a loser move in a tight clsss.

3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I'll get my popcorn going now.  If anyone actually tried it, it would be beyond entertaining.

As long as no one gets hurt.

Which would be a distinct possibility I think.

1 hour ago, 40048 said:

I'll get my popcorn going now.  If anyone actually tried it, it would be beyond entertaining.

As long as no one gets hurt.

Which would be a distinct possibility I think.

Distance racing-yes.  
Grand Illusion did the 2011 Transpac with 8.  We did it on an Andrews 68 (same boat) with 11.  

10 hours ago, JoeO said:

I'm not saying I do. I'm more than happy to go out and race with whatever we get dealt - this isn't the "Worlds' or what not, its Chicago PHRF/OD racing. Big deal. if it's blowing 18-20+ and we're sailing with 8, we'll ajusrt

My question was more theoretical  - as to whether C20S didn't think the extra rail meat of 4-6 folk on an SC70 was noticeable in breeze, or how much it might matter. My thinking says "some". Buddahh knows that when going around the top mark on many boats, getting peeple off the rail too early in anticipation of the set is a loser move in a tight clsss.

I forget his name but he ran Holua for a few years but he set a scale on the dock and the owner RAF'ed

Of course the rail meat mattered, having to explain shit to a nuclear physicist is trying.

6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Of course the rail meat mattered, having to explain shit to a nuclear physicist is trying.

I knew I could get it out of you! ;-)

• Like 1

CASRA:

LET’S GET RACING!

JUNE 17, 2020

As many of you know, the Chicago Harbors will open this coming Monday, June 22nd.  We are excited to tell you that the first CASRA race has been scheduled for Sunday, July 5th, which will mark the beginning of CASRA’s new Social Distancing Series.  We’ll have options available for short-handed crews, casual sailors, and everyone else looking to have fun on the water.  There will be something for everyone!  Watch for race documents, entry portals, and series race dates next week.  We look forward to seeing you on the water soon.

On 6/16/2020 at 6:59 PM, Grinder said:

Distance racing-yes.  
Grand Illusion did the 2011 Transpac with 8.  We did it on an Andrews 68 (same boat) with 11.  

I'm pretty sure most SC 70's go to Hawaii with 8 crew on board.  It wouldn't too difficult to sail a sled with 8 competent people around a buoy course against a mixed fleet of club racers.  Different approach to things, but not too difficult.

17 minutes ago, dcbsheb said:

I'm pretty sure most SC 70's go to Hawaii with 8 crew on board.  It wouldn't too difficult to sail a sled with 8 competent people around a buoy course against a mixed fleet of club racers.  Different approach to things, but not too difficult.

I'd be curious to know what you envision the 8 positions would be especially when going around marks and gybing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40048 said:

I'd be curious to know what you envision the 8 positions would be especially when going around marks and gybing.

Do you need me to draw you a diagram?  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dcbsheb said:

Do you need me to draw you a diagram?  

Yes please

1 hour ago, 40048 said:

Yes please

1:  helm

2:  spin trim

3:  main

4:  guy trim

5:  pit 

6:  topping lift/fore guy

7:  bow

8: runners  

much like DCBSheb, been there, done that.  Hell, we flew kites on deliveries with only two on deck at a time.  (4 on board)  

I’m not saying it’s fast, but know for a fact it’s manageable. 

51 minutes ago, Monkey said:

much like DCBSheb, been there, done that.  Hell, we flew kites on deliveries with only two on deck at a time.  (4 on board)  

My first Solo Mac was with a boat with runners and a symmetrical kite, I did all those jobs.

• Like 1

The SC’s I’ve raced on so the macs with 16. 8 per watch. So I agree, you can do any maneuver with 8.

that said, I wouldn’t bouy race with eight... unless everyone except the driver is under 20 and fitness freaks. And even then only Saturday not Sunday. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 40048 said:

Yes please

19 hours ago, Monkey said:

Make sense now?  I started drawing a diagram & realized that I can't draw.  What Monkey said is pretty damn close.  Not trying to be the cool kid or a tough guy.  I'm also not talking about closed-course racing against fully crewed SC-70's.  Just making a point that it's not as hard as one might think, especially once A-sails came along.  Turning a leeward mark takes time & skilled coordination, but on a distance race, you have the time to set up for a jibe, sail change, etc. so that 8 people is more than enough.  Like I said, they go to Hawaii with 8 all the time.

I remember when Bill Martin and Dave Irish used to double hand Stripes in the Huron Doublehanded Challenge about 20 years ago.

23 hours ago, Lightfoot said:

The SC’s I’ve raced on so the macs with 16. 8 per watch. So I agree, you can do any maneuver with 8.

that said, I wouldn’t bouy race with eight... unless everyone except the driver is under 20 and fitness freaks. And even then only Saturday not Sunday. 

16?!!! Why. You don't need a fully second shift. Just drop 3 off every 4 hours.

13 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

16?!!! Why. You don't need a fully second shift. Just drop 3 off every 4 hours.

I agree, but I’m not going to explain The reason why any further besides it was complicated.

3 hours ago, Lightfoot said:

I agree, but I’m not going to explain The reason why any further besides it was complicated.

*family

Understood.

On 6/19/2020 at 1:01 PM, dcbsheb said:

Make sense now?  I started drawing a diagram & realized that I can't draw.  What Monkey said is pretty damn close.  Not trying to be the cool kid or a tough guy.  I'm also not talking about closed-course racing against fully crewed SC-70's.  Just making a point that it's not as hard as one might think, especially once A-sails came along.  Turning a leeward mark takes time & skilled coordination, but on a distance race, you have the time to set up for a jibe, sail change, etc. so that 8 people is more than enough.  Like I said, they go to Hawaii with 8 all the time.

Where's your mast?  Where are your grinders?  Who is flaking the genoa so it's ready to go up at the bottom?  Who is pulling up the new genoa for a change?  Who is pulling the kite into the boat at the bottom?  You got one guy doing main?  How's that work when it's blowing 20 and it's time to gybe?  Sorry but there's just lots of holes that you aren't able to fill with this plan.

I agree with everyone who is saying that you can distance race very short-handed.   Lots of time to plan.  Lots of time between maneuvers.  And you can add an auto-helm and drop one more person.

BUT, getting around a typical Chicago 1.5-mile-leg buoy race is a whole different animal.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 1:01 PM, dcbsheb said:

I'm also not talking about closed-course racing against fully crewed SC-70's.  Just making a point that it's not as hard as one might think, especially once A-sails came along. 

But we were talking about closed-course racing - at least that is the context in which I originally brought it up (thinking of Verve cup in August, if it happens). We all know that for TP or distance racing, you can do it with fewer as you have time to plan, etc.   Lots to do as 40048 points out - even on a lowly 40 footer, where even I in my physical decrepitude do not need an (additional) grinder on the main, nor a pedestal jockey to trim jib/afterguy/kite, or a runner winch spinner.

On a wholly unrelated note, looks like the BYC Mac is becoming a bit of a farce:

https://www.bycmack.com/raceupdates.cfm

We're racing!  MORF Opener  Sunday June 28 11am

MORF will be racing on Sunday June 28.  This race is open to all with no fee.   SA7 and Government marks will be used.  The course is 14NM starting from SA7 toward the 4 mile crib.  It can be shortened to 8NM if conditions warrant.  10 MORF boats have already said they will be coming.  Everyone else in the community is invited.  

If you are not a MORF member sign-up by emailing your boat name, sail number and PHRF rating to morf@morfracing.org from an email address where we can reach you.  Communication will be via the MORF notice board morfracing.net/wpmocha/offical-notice-board/.  The NOR and SSIs will be available there shortly

Compliance with all state and local regulations are the responsibility of the Skipper.

MORF-Opener.jpg

21 hours ago, JoeO said:

On a wholly unrelated note, looks like the BYC Mac is becoming a bit of a farce:

https://www.bycmack.com/raceupdates.cfm

In a Scuttlebutt item on Friday they also mentioned how the state (MI) requires that social distancing be maintained while on boats.  The comment was that this should be done below deck as well.  Seems that means only 1-2 people allowed below deck on some of the smaller boats since there's probably not much more than 6' of separation between usable spaces on those boats.  Are we at the point where the attempt to hold this event is considered beating a dead horse?

On 6/20/2020 at 7:56 PM, 40048 said:

Where's your mast?  Where are your grinders?  Who is flaking the genoa so it's ready to go up at the bottom?  Who is pulling up the new genoa for a change?  Who is pulling the kite into the boat at the bottom?  You got one guy doing main?  How's that work when it's blowing 20 and it's time to gybe?  Sorry but there's just lots of holes that you aren't able to fill with this plan.

I agree with everyone who is saying that you can distance race very short-handed.   Lots of time to plan.  Lots of time between maneuvers.  And you can add an auto-helm and drop one more person.

BUT, getting around a typical Chicago 1.5-mile-leg buoy race is a whole different animal.

The mast is hopefully still vertical.  If it's blowing 20, you're probably not buoy racing with 8 on a SC-70, and you're certainly not doing it on a 1.5 NM course.  If you want to keep playing the "what if" game, that's fine with me.  If you need a second person to jibe the main, then you won't be one of the 8 people I'd buoy race a sled with.  The same 2-3 guys at/near the bow will be the ones flaking the genoa, raising it, jumping halyards.  Anyone with a free hand is helping to pull the kite down, and the guy driving can be a big help too.  No auto helm.  You only need 2 headsail trimmers, and one of them is grinding.  If you''re going upwind with a #1 up, you have 3-4 people that are just movable ballast & highly capable of turning cranks.

I know you feel it can't be done, and that's your right to have a differing opinion.  Mine is that it can...and has been done, and it's not as difficult as you're making it out to be.  I never said it can be done in 20 kts, and I certainly never said it should be done.  All I said is that it can be done more easily than you think with a crew that knows one another and knows the boat.

3 hours ago, dcbsheb said:

and the guy driving can be a big help too

The guy driving is critical to things not going pear shaped.  Downwind, drive deep for both sets and drops.  On jibes, drive deep and free fly the chute until things are made and then play the angles.  Upwind, don't expect to tack on every 2deg shift.  I'd try to do a 1.5nm leg in no more than 3 tacks.  On a 70, in anything more than about 8kts true, the weight on the rail helps for buoy racing.  And for FFS, don't get tangled up with another boat.  

• Like 1

I think everyone is talking around each other on this issue... I think there is general agreement that

1. it is possible to execute maneuvers on a SC70 with 8 experienced crew, as long as it's not
    1. short courses
    2. strong winds
  2. more railmeat (above 8) is beneficial in moderate to high winds

But looking at my statement, that started this trouble:

"On something bigger (TP52s, etc.) it will definitely be a challenge both in maneuvers and in rail meat. Which means not sailing at 100%, whereas smaller boats may be able to."

Do we not agree to the veracity of that statement in, say, Verve Cup conditions above 16kts? Where a Beneteau 40.7 is basically "fully crewed", with a full compelement of  "railmeat", while the SC70 is not? And in that case is more able to sail to to its rating than the SC70?

• Like 1

With Illinois moving to stage 4 soon, does that mean 50 people on a boat? Should be able to handle a SC 70 just fine ;)

1 hour ago, ChiGuy said:

With Illinois moving to stage 4 soon, does that mean 50 people on a boat? Should be able to handle a SC 70 just fine ;)

Ten on deck to sail the boat and a forty person orgy below.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JoeO said:

I think everyone is talking around each other on this issue... I think there is general agreement that

1. it is possible to execute maneuvers on a SC70 with 8 experienced crew, as long as it's not
    1. short courses
    2. strong winds
  2. more railmeat (above 8) is beneficial in moderate to high winds

But looking at my statement, that started this trouble:

"On something bigger (TP52s, etc.) it will definitely be a challenge both in maneuvers and in rail meat. Which means not sailing at 100%, whereas smaller boats may be able to."

Do we not agree to the veracity of that statement in, say, Verve Cup conditions above 16kts? Where a Beneteau 40.7 is basically "fully crewed", with a full compelement of  "railmeat", while the SC70 is not? And in that case is more able to sail to to its rating than the SC70?

You don't sail 40.7s do you? Full crew for railmeat is 12. yes, that is way overkill for the maneuvers, but that boat is over powered with the mast 2 feet forward of original design and needs the bodies. i would say a 36.7 would be considered fully crewed with 8, some take 9.

22 minutes ago, SailChiTown said:

You don't sail 40.7s do you? Full crew for railmeat is 12. yes, that is way overkill for the maneuvers, but that boat is over powered with the mast 2 feet forward of original design and needs the bodies. i would say a 36.7 would be considered fully crewed with 8, some take 9.

No, F40s, where 10 is the practical (weight limit) max. Can't imagine 12 on a 40.7 is "ergonomically friendly" !  On 40-41' IOR or IMS boats with user-friendly cockpits, 12 was crowded. 

At any rate, 10 on a 40.7, is closer to optimum than 8 on a SC70.

Let's stop beating this dead horse...

9 minutes ago, JoeO said:

No, F40s, where 10 is the practical (weight limit) max. Can't imagine 12 on a 40.7 is "ergonomically friendly" !  On 40-41' IOR or IMS boats with user-friendly cockpits, 12 was crowded.

You let railmeat into the cockpit..... you must be getting soft :).

I know there is another thread on this, but did everyone see the PH to Mac announcement that DNR rules at the mac island harbor has led them to cancel their reservation and thus not be able to offer dockage for competitors on the island? So you finish the race, if you are lucky you can get a few hours on the coal dock and then you are on your own to figure out where to dock your boat. 

So its a mac race with a turn and burn unless you were lucky enough to get a reservation near by. 

31 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

I know there is another thread on this, but did everyone see the PH to Mac announcement that DNR rules at the mac island harbor has led them to cancel their reservation and thus not be able to offer dockage for competitors on the island? So you finish the race, if you are lucky you can get a few hours on the coal dock and then you are on your own to figure out where to dock your boat. 

So its a mac race with a turn and burn unless you were lucky enough to get a reservation near by. 

Anchor in the harbor, bring a dink.

20 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Anchor in the harbor, bring a dink.

Hah hah - Good one!

You don't even have a boat anymore, so moot point, eh?

56 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

Well, it's more subtle than that:

" the DNR has finally sent the requirements that the race must comply with. After reviewing the contract, we have determined that it is impossible to comply. "

We don't know what these requirements were, only that BYC felt they were too onerous. Masks on the docks? One boat every other slip? Oh, poor babies!  It's not like they gave the entrants a voice in whether they wanted to comply.

At any rate, given that and the medical recommendations sent by the Fleet Surgeon of GPSC via the BYC Mac committee (which frankly I doubt many owners will enforce),, it's simply a farce to be holding this race.  Simple hubris and wanton disregard for public health on the part of BYC and some of the more gung-ho entrants.

8 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Well, it's more subtle than that:

" the DNR has finally sent the requirements that the race must comply with. After reviewing the contract, we have determined that it is impossible to comply. "

We don't know what these requirements were, only that BYC felt they were too onerous. Masks on the docks? One boat every other slip? Oh, poor babies!  It's not like they gave the entrants a voice in whether they wanted to comply.

At any rate, given that and the medical recommendations sent by the Fleet Surgeon of GPSC via the BYC Mac committee (which frankly I doubt many owners will enforce),, it's simply a farce to be holding this race.  Simple hubris and wanton disregard for public health on the part of BYC and some of the more gung-ho entrants.

Cool.  We won't miss you.  

It's not racing but we plan on taking that week and sailing to Beaver, Leland, and maybe another port during that race week.  We have the time off and getting slips at most marinas has not been an issue.  Could not imagine racing to Mackinac and NOT being able to dock, for at least one night.  As much as we all love the racing the turn and burn or even staying in Mackinac City or St. Ignace seems average.  

Stay healthy....good luck.

2 hours ago, proOC said:

It's not racing but we plan on taking that week and sailing to Beaver, Leland, and maybe another port during that race week.  We have the time off and getting slips at most marinas has not been an issue.  Could not imagine racing to Mackinac and NOT being able to dock, for at least one night.  As much as we all love the racing the turn and burn or even staying in Mackinac City or St. Ignace seems average.  

Stay healthy....good luck.

Could you imagine doing a Supermac?  I've done 3 (one solo) and they are great and don't see much difference between that and a turn/burn.  In each case, there is a more relaxed attitude on the second half as you can justify it as a delivery.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FastrSailr said:

Cool.  We won't miss you.  

Yeah... wow... that hurts....

5 hours ago, proOC said:

It's not racing but we plan on taking that week and sailing to Beaver, Leland, and maybe another port during that race week.

Take your time and visit the other islands around Beaver Island too (Garden, High, Whiskey, Squaw). There is a nice little harbor on Garden island you can anchor in, protected and picturesque. It's hard to imagine but many of these small island were inhabited up until the early 1900's - not just native Americans but also small logging and fishing communities (with schools, mills, stores, etc.). Squaw Island lighthouse was manned until 1928. It's fun, and interesting, to go ashore on these islands and try to imagine them 80-100 years ago, when they were populated, and part of a thriving Island archipelago dealing in lumber and fish. If you're into it the bass fishing in Garden island harbor is pretty good  - as a kid caught my first ever fish there after the 1970 Mac race.

Beaver itself has a unique history, not just as the site of the only Mormon "kingdom" in the US, but also the commercial fishery - dozens of fishing "tugs" used to be stationed there, fishing (gill nets, pound nets, hook lines) for perch, whitefish, lake trout around the islands. All gone now. But part of a rich Celtic culture that is deeply ingrained in the Island.  

Leland is now a cute "tourist" town with a re-built "Fishtown" that is a really an echo of it's former self. I feel privileged to have first visited it in ~1973, when it was still a bona-fide fishing community, and the nets being dried and mended on rotating frames outside the clapboard buildings were actually being used to haul in perch and whitefish.   After the requisite bloddy mary with the smoked chub at the Inn over the river, consider heading to the Manitous for a more off-the-beaten track adventure... how may ties we've sailed past, wondering what the islands themselves were really like? Go find out.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Take your time and visit the other islands around Beaver Island too (Garden, High, Whiskey, Squaw). There is a nice little harbor on Garden island you can anchor in, protected and picturesque. It's hard to imagine but many of these small island were inhabited up until the early 1900's - not just native Americans but also small logging and fishing communities (with schools, mills, stores, etc.). Squaw Island lighthouse was manned until 1928. It's fun, and interesting, to go ashore on these islands and try to imagine them 80-100 years ago, when they were populated, and part of a thriving Island archipelago dealing in lumber and fish. If you're into it the bass fishing in Garden island harbor is pretty good  - as a kid caught my first ever fish there after the 1970 Mac race.

Beaver itself has a unique history, not just as the site of the only Mormon "kingdom" in the US, but also the commercial fishery - dozens of fishing "tugs" used to be stationed there, fishing (gill nets, pound nets, hook lines) for perch, whitefish, lake trout around the islands. All gone now. But part of a rich Celtic culture that is deeply ingrained in the Island.  

Leland is now a cute "tourist" town with a re-built "Fishtown" that is a really an echo of it's former self. I feel privileged to have first visited it in ~1973, when it was still a bona-fide fishing community, and the nets being dried and mended on rotating frames outside the clapboard buildings were actually being used to haul in perch and whitefish.   After the requisite bloddy mary with the smoked chub at the Inn over the river, consider heading to the Manitous for a more off-the-beaten track adventure... how may ties we've sailed past, wondering what the islands themselves were really like? Go find out.

...this is my plan for the month of July!

• Like 2

I assume the Vanguards are the first racers of the season...  also included Markset Bots.

20200625_194218.jpg

• Like 1

Those are pretty cool.  Does CCYC own those?  I’m interested in the power supply, navigation & cost.   And lots of other questions.   

49 minutes ago, Grinder said:

Those are pretty cool.  Does CCYC own those?  I’m interested in the power supply, navigation & cost.   And lots of other questions.   

Talk to the V15 fleet captain. She has the inside scoop on them. DM me if you want her contact.

We have a very good friend that lives on Beaver.  His daughter rents a house out during the summers and it seems it is available most of July right now.

FYI Municipal docks on Beaver are under water and not available.  They had to shut off electrical due to the water depths.   The 2 private marinas inside are available and have been dredged as well.  

1 hour ago, Looper said:

I assume the Vanguards are the first racers of the season...  also included Markset Bots.

We've had a few races up at Wilmette. Vayu took a swing by the start line last Sunday.

2 hours ago, Grinder said:

They're owned by MarkBot, but Sail21 is leasing these for the summer. They've done an event At Culver in Indiana, and should be doing several more.

On 6/26/2020 at 1:14 PM, ChiGuy said:

They're owned by MarkBot, but Sail21 is leasing these for the summer. They've done an event At Culver in Indiana, and should be doing several more.

This may not have gotten around yet but they've upgraded and are now Sail22.

:)

On 6/22/2020 at 1:04 PM, Tenacity said:

We're racing!  MORF Opener  Sunday June 28 11am

MORF will be racing on Sunday June 28.  This race is open to all with no fee.   SA7 and Government marks will be used.  The course is 14NM starting from SA7 toward the 4 mile crib.  It can be shortened to 8NM if conditions warrant.  10 MORF boats have already said they will be coming.  Everyone else in the community is invited.  

If you are not a MORF member sign-up by emailing your boat name, sail number and PHRF rating to morf@morfracing.org from an email address where we can reach you.  Communication will be via the MORF notice board morfracing.net/wpmocha/offical-notice-board/.  The NOR and SSIs will be available there shortly

Compliance with all state and local regulations are the responsibility of the Skipper.

MORF-Opener.jpg

We got the first MORF race of the season in yesterday, Sunday Jun, 29.  This was one of the first races on the lake this season.  The MORF Opener was open to all boats.  16 boats raced, 12 from the MORF fleet plus 4 others.  The course was 14 miles using SA7, the 4 mile and Harrison-Dever cribs and the Clemson Shoal buoy.  Winds were light at the start, about 6Kt from the NE making the 4 mile crib nearly upwind with flat seas.  The last upwind leg back to SA7 had the convergence zone dead on the rumline, spinakers to the East, Jibs to the West.   Spinakers were better.  The top 5 boats in fleet all finished within 4 minutes after 3 hours of racing.   Everyone seemed very happy to be out on the water racing.  A 6 week postponement is a bit much.

Opener.jpg

1 hour ago, Tenacity said:

We got the first MORF race of the season in yesterday, Sunday Jun, 29.  This was one of the first races on the lake this season.  The MORF Opener was open to all boats.  16 boats raced, 12 from the MORF fleet plus 4 others.  The course was 14 miles using SA7, the 4 mile and Harrison-Dever cribs and the Clemson Shoal buoy.  Winds were light at the start, about 6Kt from the NE making the 4 mile crib nearly upwind with flat seas.  The last upwind leg back to SA7 had the convergence zone dead on the rumline, spinakers to the East, Jibs to the West.   Spinakers were better.  The top 5 boats in fleet all finished within 4 minutes after 3 hours of racing.   Everyone seemed very happy to be out on the water racing.  A 6 week postponement is a bit much.

Opener.jpg

Michigan City had their first of the season Cruiser Class race three weeks ago, 12 boats came out to race, two who had never raced before,  zoom skippers meeting, temp marks, reachy race and everyone had fun, results when they got back to the slip and a zoom rum and tonic party.

We had to cancel our Fri evening Summer Solstice race when storms rolled thru, but we are expecting a big turnout for Saturdays Lady Skipper Race...boats will come out to race if you make it fun, and have a ‘don’t be a dick’ rule..

Of course it’s not real racing’ like you guys do in Chi Town...

14 hours ago, ro! said:

Michigan City had their first of the season Cruiser Class race three weeks ago, 12 boats came out to race, two who had never raced before,  zoom skippers meeting, temp marks, reachy race and everyone had fun, results when they got back to the slip and a zoom rum and tonic party.

We had to cancel our Fri evening Summer Solstice race when storms rolled thru, but we are expecting a big turnout for Saturdays Lady Skipper Race...boats will come out to race if you make it fun, and have a ‘don’t be a dick’ rule..

Of course it’s not real racing’ like you guys do in Chi Town...

Coop and the gang?   Not Kool....

Doing the Eastward Ho this year?

Anyone seen a official race schedule for the rest of this year? I’m trying to help get the scheduling done for the team I’m with but can’t locate anything official.

Most interested in: Beer Cans and PtP

45 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

Anyone seen a official race schedule for the rest of this year? I’m trying to help get the scheduling done for the team I’m with but can’t locate anything official.

Most interested in: Beer Cans and PtP

As far as I know, this is as official as it gets.

http://chicagosailracing.org/races

On 6/30/2020 at 12:21 PM, proOC said:

Coop and the gang?   Not Kool....

Doing the Eastward Ho this year?

Michigan City had their second Cruiser Class race on Saturday, the Commodores Cup where you must have a lady skipper on the helm with a rating bonus for kids on board. On a gorgeous day we had 17 boats come out to have fun, even in a dying breeze everyone finished, and many stayed out for social distance swimming and cocktails..

21 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

As far as I know, this is as official as it gets.

http://chicagosailracing.org/races

Thanks, I thought I checked that recently and still saw a bunch of canceled races on the schedule. It looks up to date now. 

6 hours ago, Grinder said:

If you drop some valuables in the drink: 

Buy an ad! (Is that something people still say on SA?)

:P

8 hours ago, Grinder said:

If rather not talk about it? 

Why?  Because it's picking up out of the South right now?

3 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Why?  Because it's picking up out of the South right now?

I went for a wonderful mountain bike ride near Frankfort today, and it wasn't enough to numb the pain.

What are the odds this weather will repeat next year?

On 7/18/2020 at 7:21 AM, Glenn McCarthy said:

Anyone else noticing how awesome the first day of today's cancelled Mac would be?

And judging by the carnage in the Hook, it sure went downhill in the night.

Just like the Mac would be.

• Like 1

Hi all, my wife and I recently purchased a Hunter 23.5 with trailer. 

We have a slip on Lake Michigan for the rest of the summer, but we’d rather sail on smaller lakes without the waves. What are some sailing lakes besides Lake Geneva we could consider? We’re coming from the SW burbs. 

Thanks for your help! 

I see WI residents added to Chicago's quarantine requirements effective July 31.  That essentially means WI boats and any WI sailors planning to crew on Chicago or Michigan based boats will be excluded from Verve Offshore next weekend.  I suppose one could stay on the boat to meet the "spirit" of the rule, but that would get crowded with 7 or 8 on your average 40 footer, and probably no one wants that much food and beer on board for a regatta.............

I don't know who or how much checking/enforcement is being done, but this appears to be the first bordering state with Lake Michigan access to the city (MO and IA were on list, but not many boats from there visiting the city).  Are hotels providing guest lists to the city and/or checking ID's as people come and go?  Police/Park District law enforcement or marinas checking state registrations?

I won't be sailing so not worried, and my employees who have to visit fall under essential worker definitions.  This theoretically will put a damper on Chicago residents vacationing in Door County, WI Dells or going to a WI lake cottage.

Sail and stay safe.

The case levels in Wisconsin exceed the threshold to become one of the states on the City of Chicago’s Emergency Travel Order. This requires individuals coming from Wisconsin to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Chicago. This order will go into effect Friday July 31 at 12:01AM.

The Order applies to individuals arriving in Chicago, while they are in the city. The city limits are defined in this interactive map. This does not include individuals who are commuting from Wisconsin to Chicago for the purpose of work; however, such commuters are subject to the requirements below. It does include individuals coming from Wisconsin to Chicago for non-work purposes or Chicago residents returning from Wisconsin counties unless they are deemed an essential worker.

43 minutes ago, BayRacer said:

I see WI residents added to Chicago's quarantine requirements effective July 31.  That essentially means WI boats and any WI sailors planning to crew on Chicago or Michigan based boats will be excluded from Verve Offshore next weekend.  I suppose one could stay on the boat to meet the "spirit" of the rule, but that would get crowded with 7 or 8 on your average 40 footer, and probably no one wants that much food and beer on board for a regatta.............

I don't know who or how much checking/enforcement is being done, but this appears to be the first bordering state with Lake Michigan access to the city (MO and IA were on list, but not many boats from there visiting the city).  Are hotels providing guest lists to the city and/or checking ID's as people come and go?  Police/Park District law enforcement or marinas checking state registrations?

I won't be sailing so not worried, and my employees who have to visit fall under essential worker definitions.  This theoretically will put a damper on Chicago residents vacationing in Door County, WI Dells or going to a WI lake cottage.

Sail and stay safe.

The case levels in Wisconsin exceed the threshold to become one of the states on the City of Chicago’s Emergency Travel Order. This requires individuals coming from Wisconsin to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Chicago. This order will go into effect Friday July 31 at 12:01AM.

The Order applies to individuals arriving in Chicago, while they are in the city. The city limits are defined in this interactive map. This does not include individuals who are commuting from Wisconsin to Chicago for the purpose of work; however, such commuters are subject to the requirements below. It does include individuals coming from Wisconsin to Chicago for non-work purposes or Chicago residents returning from Wisconsin counties unless they are deemed an essential worker.

The map, clearly excludes ColYC and it's dock from the order. It includes CYC, but not their docks. I guess you are right, WI boats, come on down and stay on your boat!! Don't worry, we will bring you supplies and GrubHub and Saucy deliver to both clubs.

15 minutes ago, SailChiTown said:

The map, clearly excludes ColYC and it's dock from the order. It includes CYC, but not their docks. I guess you are right, WI boats, come on down and stay on your boat!! Don't worry, we will bring you supplies and GrubHub and Saucy deliver to both clubs.

I like the way you think, but just don’t see that going over well. I’m more bummed because I’m pretty sure none of the Chicago Lightning fleet will be joining us in Sheboygan at the end of August now, although that’s a month away, so things might change before then.