Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian Weslake

What's happened to the Russians?

Six months ago everyone was bullish about the Russian Synergy team. They appeared to have money, they had done very well in the Louis Vuitton and Medcup events, and their statements indicated that they intended being a major presence in AC34.

Since then, zip. Zero, zilch, nada, nothing, nought, you get the picture.

So what has happened to Synergy, are they working quietly behind the scenes or have they had a rethink and decided to withdraw gracefully?

Six months ago everyone was bullish about the Russian Synergy team. They appeared to have money, they had done very well in the Louis Vuitton and Medcup events, and their statements indicated that they intended being a major presence in AC34.

Since then, zip. Zero, zilch, nada, nothing, nought, you get the picture.

So what has happened to Synergy, are they working quietly behind the scenes or have they had a rethink and decided to withdraw gracefully?

I thought I read somewhere that Synergy is controled by 3 or 4 wealthy Russian Buisness men and one or more are having second thoughts about joining without significant sponorship support. That, or its part of a negotiating ploy to get an ACWS event in Russia with favorable terms.

In short I have no idea what happened to them. :lol:

WetHog :ph34r:

Been wondering too. The seminal piece was the article at here

http://www.sailingwo...ians-are-coming

They have a new TP52 being built and are continuing to race on the RC44 circuit (San Diego is up next, early March) - perhaps that is all they plan to take on?

Their sponsors include (iirc) Russia's biggest natural gas producer (!), their second biggest shipping company (!) and Synergy itself - a branch of a giant Russian distillery. You'd think they can do just about whatever they want.

edit: They do post AC news on their site, for whatever that's worth:

http://synergyteam.r...28/115/lang,en/

edit2: and they have a guy on the ACRM's BOD.

Been wondering too. The seminal piece was the article at here

http://www.sailingwo...ians-are-coming

They have a new TP52 being built and are continuing to race on the RC44 circuit (San Diego is up next, early March) - perhaps that is all they plan to take on?

Their sponsors include (iirc) Russia's biggest natural gas producer (!), their second biggest shipping company (!) and Synergy itself - a branch of a giant Russian distillery. You'd think they can do just about whatever they want.

edit: They do post AC news on their site, for whatever that's worth:

http://synergyteam.r...28/115/lang,en/

edit2: and they have a guy on the ACRM's BOD.

All of the above, plus they were a LVT member with the advantages that entails.

Are these guys serious? You betcha! Count the ownership names amongst the current crew members and you'll find six fledgling Grant Daltons -- ie, guys ready to grind, trim, tail and steer and help run the show.

They've got a viable program in TP52s. When it comes to the AC, they're straining at the leash, no doubt about that. Ultimately, it's all about the money. Can they line up sufficient support? They are in better shape than most teams around the world in this regard.

What's more, they still have 41 days remaining in which to lodge a challenge that won't incur any late fees.

On a first hand experience with this team- they have a very Russian "crash and bang" mentality when it comes to the details. Their rc44 program is light years behind the others, (quantum sails- really? Trust me, they do not know how to finish high end race sails), and I can't imagine building a new 52 is going to raise their medcup game. I don't think they have the attention to detail required to build an ac72

On a first hand experience with this team- they have a very Russian "crash and bang" mentality when it comes to the details. Their rc44 program is light years behind the others, (quantum sails- really? Trust me, they do not know how to finish high end race sails), and I can't imagine building a new 52 is going to raise their medcup game. I don't think they have the attention to detail required to build an ac72

Sounds like a perfect team for Stolichnaya to get behind :)