Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jono

Who has Ben Lexcen Design Library

So the master's old designs may actually be in more than one place as a result of the Miller Whitworth thingie. But does anyone know who holds all the Bob Miller design library. I'm interested in getting lines drawings on an old 60s design.

So the master's old designs may actually be in more than one place as a result of the Miller Whitworth thingie. But does anyone know who holds all the Bob Miller design library. I'm interested in getting lines drawings on an old 60s design.

Hopefully you may find some help there:

Whitworth's Marine

You own a Farr and you want an old Bob Miller design? Which one? I'll ask around for you.

Hi Jono,

Benny worked with Peter Lowe for a long time - through the eighties within "Ben Lexcen Yacht Design" in Sydney. As Peter Lowe was the Naval Architech who did the numbers for him, Peter still has a lot of Ben's notes. My knowledge of all this is limited, so the best thing there is to check out the "Peter Lowe Yacht Design" website www.peterlowedesign.com/ .

Currently Peter is helping me do some redesign work on my Lexcen - Apollo VI, have enclosed a picture for you.

Peter doesn't have the early designs but surely would have an idea.

So which design do you like the most?

Cheers

Paul

post-49961-089062800 1298377456_thumb.jpg

Thanks

One of his old early light displacement boats. Volante.A quick 55 footer that in its day caused a split at the RNZYS in A Div as it was faster than the traditional boats.

Currently in a sad state in the South Island and was recently for sale. There has been some bar talk about a restoration and I'm helping out.

Thanks

One of his old early light displacement boats. Volante.A quick 55 footer that in its day caused a split at the RNZYS in A Div as it was faster than the traditional boats.

Currently in a sad state in the South Island and was recently for sale. There has been some bar talk about a restoration and I'm helping out.

Hey Jono, I dimly remember Volante as a very fast flush decked yacht in the late 60s. Dark blue hull with lots of tumblehome? Probably have a photo or two around here somewhere.

There was a good feature in WoodenBoat magazine about 2 years back, listed many of Ben-Bob's wooden builds - and the rough end of most - they got used until operator error caught up with them.

Another person who might be able to point you in the right direction in David Lugg (now working with the Western Australian department of transport). He won't have the info but might know who does.

I'd imagine Carl Ryves in Sydney would have some insight as to the location of a lot of BenBob's designs, he and BenBob were very close mates. There's a feature on him in a recent couple of editions of Seahorse Magazine. I'd also check with David Payne, a Naval Architect and curator at the Australian National Maritime Museum, who oversaw the Taipan restoration and I understand has a keen interest in all things BenBob.

When your original post said 60's design, I imediately thought of Volante. I thought it was 50' but may be thinking of Fremantle Doctor - a similar design.

Must be a big restoration if you need the lines drawings? I remember at the time Bob said she was designed specifically to resist rolling downwind.

Good luck with it. I looked at Freo Doctor a few years back, but it was too big a project even for me!

Thanks all, hopefully some of the above sources look at SA or have co-workers who do and they can post accordingly. Otherwise I'll work through the list. Volante may well be 50. Just trying to get some background info on lines, design measurements and displacements, rig and rudder etc.

Thanks all, hopefully some of the above sources look at SA or have co-workers who do and they can post accordingly. Otherwise I'll work through the list. Volante may well be 50. Just trying to get some background info on lines, design measurements and displacements, rig and rudder etc.

Jono, there was a couple of page article with pics in one of the sailing mags at the time, but I can't even remember the title - it would pre-date Yaffa Publications and may even have been a Rob Mundle. There was also a NZ mag "Seaspray" IIRC - maybe worth checking library collections.

Anyone know where Chris 249 lurks these days? He has a lot of historical stuff.

I gt a reply back from Peter Lowe. He said that a lot of older drawings were destroyed years ago when a hot water system burst under Ben’s house. That's not good, but I expect it's ultimately similar to a lot of other designers early work. Apparently some drawings are now in the archives of the Australian Maritime Museum in Sydney. So it looks like I'll give them a try next time I'm in Sydney - unless anyone from there drops in on this topic earlier.

I gt a reply back from Peter Lowe. He said that a lot of older drawings were destroyed years ago when a hot water system burst under Ben's house. That's not good, but I expect it's ultimately similar to a lot of other designers early work. Apparently some drawings are now in the archives of the Australian Maritime Museum in Sydney. So it looks like I'll give them a try next time I'm in Sydney - unless anyone from there drops in on this topic earlier.

Hi Jono,

Sorry mate, that's bad news about the early ones, I quite liked some of them too, and am interested in restoring one of them too, none specific at the moment. Restoring my current one is enough.

I can tell you, that some of the early ones up till the late 70's had some stability problems, with not enough ballast etc. Because as some know, Benny wasn't the mathematical genius needed for some calculations, I certainly struggle with volume/ballast/stability calculations, even the basic ones. The maths is not the problem he and most (me included) of us have; it's how to apply and what needs certain calculations, don't forget no computers and no calculators then.

Yes, also about some of the articles mentioned, true. I will try to find some that I have for you, some mention various yachts. I remember some other and different articles as well.

My favourite was the first Apollo, which was destroyed on Lady Musgrave Island off Mackay (roughly).

Cheers and good hunting.

Paul

When your original post said 60's design, I imediately thought of Volante. I thought it was 50' but may be thinking of Fremantle Doctor - a similar design.

!

4419_1013017781478_1706059257_18755_806496_n.jpg

!

4419_1013017781478_1706059257_18755_806496_n.jpg

Yuk!

Ok, good to see someone did the old girl up, but that's hideous.

I preferred to remember it as the crumbling wreck I looked at few years ago.:P

My favourite was the first Apollo, which was destroyed on Lady Musgrave Island off Mackay (roughly).

Cheers and good hunting.

Paul

Rooklyns legendary 57' flyer Apollo turned inshore toward Gladdy at Breaksea Spit northern tip of Fraser Isl. ( main mark of the course!) and smacked into Lady Elliot Isl

1980 Bris 2 Gladstone race

Cheers and good hunting.

Paul

Rooklyns legendary 57' flyer Apollo turned inshore toward Gladdy at Breaksea Spit northern tip of Fraser Isl. ( main mark of the course!) and smacked into Lady Elliot Isl

1980 Bris 2 Gladstone race

Apollo was following Bagatelle's (50 odd ft cat) masthead light.The cat went around Lady Elliot and because the lighthouse can only be seen when your 90 degrees off it,they thought they were on track only to find the rocks