• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
dts12345

Falcon, Tripp/Goetz 50 on Craigslist

Now that would be a Great Lakes cruiser......you could turbo the fuck out of it, slap some VC-17 on the bottom, and get another 20 years out of it

The bulb looks like it will stay where it is the next time the lift it. The boat is a scrap heap, parting out is the only realistic option now.

What would it take to set her up for single-handing?

LSD

Good answer!

I think the dreamers who are imagining themselves at the helm of a cheap 50-footer have not glanced at a boat-parts catalog and noted the prices of stuff like line... nice dream though...

FB- Doug

LSD

And about $200,000. After that, you'd have a shitty IMS boat with low stability and no sails. Great for single handing up and down the east river.

There are a buttload of IMS boats on the amrket that couls be had for not alot more money than this thing, which are actually capable of sailing.

LSD

And about $200,000. After that, you'd have a shitty IMS boat with low stability and no sails. Great for single handing up and down the east river.

There are a buttload of IMS boats on the amrket that couls be had for not alot more money than this thing, which are actually capable of sailing.

So, not a good candidate for a makeover w/non-overlapping jib on Hoyt boom w/swept spreaders maximum roach main/canting keel?

LSD

So, not a good candidate for a makeover w/non-overlapping jib on Hoyt boom w/swept spreaders maximum roach main/canting keel?

Want to know how to make a small fortune?

Start with a large one and make that boat into what you describe. ;)

Did someone glue her nose back on?

You may be thinking of the Falcon Maxi Yacht...Nope the nose is still missing. Boat is still on the hard in the Cayman's from Hurricane damage...as far as I know.

Soooooo like what happened ??

All Fixed up and Race Ready

Or All Sawed Up and like that ??? :blink:

Did someone glue her nose back on?

You may be thinking of the Falcon Maxi Yacht...Nope the nose is still missing. Boat is still on the hard in the Cayman's from Hurricane damage...as far as I know.

No, I am talking about the Tripp 50.

The first foot of the deck has cut off to make a rating change. Gave the bow an ugly pig nose look.

The cut-off was still in the container when she was on the Great Lakes.

Every time this thread is bumped a very small part of me hopes that someone has bought the boat and is lovingly restoring her to race to Bermuda or something.

Then reality sets in and it's just us making fun of the darn thing again.

Every time this thread is bumped a very small part of me hopes that someone has bought the boat and is lovingly restoring her to race to Bermuda or something.

Not true

I have fond memories of FALCON in DAGO = in her prime (replaced with a TP52)

I'd like to see her put back on the track

I called the auction house who could only say it was sold ????

to Who & for What an how Much ????

Parts of her are being used

Parts of her are being used
is she being sunk next to the barge to be used as a breakwater for consolidated?

I raced on that pos once in LIs. The primar broke before the start. Casting snapped and hit the drum ended up in the cockpi. Traveler kept jamming cause the bearings in the undersized bullets under the deck were powder. Boat had potential. Just had to replace the mast, the sails, and every moving part.

I raced on that pos once in LIs. The primar broke before the start. Casting snapped and hit the drum ended up in the cockpi. Traveler kept jamming cause the bearings in the undersized bullets under the deck were powder. Boat had potential. Just had to replace the mast, the sails, and every moving part.

So ya found it

shudda put it back and maid whey

haha I think I know who it is.....

Please PM who

I have a Ton of Pix of her in her Prime !!!

I DO know who it is and I'm sure he'd be happy to see the pics if you've still got them! This is not new territory for him. He's been keeping older racing machines in good working order all his life.

I DO know who it is and I'm sure he'd be happy to see the pics if you've still got them! This is not new territory for him. He's been keeping older racing machines in good working order all his life.

just 1 thing first nOOb B)

Good luck to that dude! I would love to see pictures of his progress! I just got done with a Moore 24 refit, and I thought that was a big project!

haha I think I know who it is.....

Please PM who

I have a Ton of Pix of her in her Prime !!!

Yes, I too am interested in finding out who has a giant pile of money they wish to set fire to.

just 1 thing first nOOb B)

Sure. What's that?

That statement sort of rules out another SMBT program.

LSD

that's just about the funniest reply to anything i've ever seen on SA hehehehe

Hello

looks like someone just changed a Diaper an didn't clean their finger nails :o

All you people calling for that boat to be bulldozed apparently never saw what Elizabeth Meyer started with when she triggered the J class revival.

I'm sure your comments about her efforts would have been much the same.

Old racing boats can be extremely cool and lots of fun, even if they are no longer the latest and greatest.

Ummmm I think I said all along

in the right hands it will always have great potential

and if you wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time

a Solid 50'er is not a Bad place to be hold up

PO in DAGO stepped up from FALCON to a R/P TP52

After winning many races

Soo what was the buy-in price ????

<p>That is Kialoa's Freddy Mills for those that don't recognize the middle finger.  They've been working on it for a while now - and I'm 100% positive that they're doing it a lot cheaper than any of you estimated!</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

All you people calling for that boat to be bulldozed apparently never saw what Elizabeth Meyer started with when she triggered the J class revival.

Old racing boats can be extremely cool and lots of fun, even if they are no longer the latest and greatest.

+1, well said

<p>That is Kialoa's Freddy Mills for those that don't recognize the middle finger.  They've been working on it for a while now - and I'm 100% positive that they're doing it a lot cheaper than any of you estimated!</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

running a boat like that as cheap as you can is not necessarily a good thing...

+1, well said

I'll add a +2

+1, well said

There is a huge difference between bringing back an old IMS 50 fotter and a J class revival.

Yeah, but 5 gallons of gas and a match would work on both

+1, well said

There is a huge difference between bringing back an old IMS 50 fotter and a J class revival.

+1, well said

O/K then, check the thread on the restoration & rebuilding of Flirt of Paget. We have a local version in these waters - Liz of Hanko. Another gorgeous varnished IOR boat modified for cruising.

The attitude remains the same - you guys are essentally saying old race boats should be trashed when they get worn - they aren't worth spending money on simply because "they are just obsolete & worn out race boats".

Thankfully, plenty of people disagree. I daresay they are having every bit as much fun as you too.

+1, well said

O/K then, check the thread on the restoration & rebuilding of Flirt of Paget. We have a local version in these waters - Liz of Hanko. Another gorgeous varnished IOR boat modified for cruising.

The attitude remains the same - you guys are essentally saying old race boats should be trashed when they get worn - they aren't worth spending money on simply because "they are just obsolete & worn out race boats".

Thankfully, plenty of people disagree. I daresay they are having every bit as much fun as you too.

No. WHat we are saying is that this boat is a POS. We know the boat well, know the market well, and know there is very little value to this "particular" IMS boat. To get it to safe suitable for racing condition will be very expensive. To make it a pretty restoration, it will take much more.

Can they do it on a shoestring? Of course they can. But just the halyards, running rigging, sails and electronics will cost $100,000+, and the boat will still be a POS with new sails, running gear and electronics. So sink another $100k into making it less of a POS.

There are just a lot of better values out there, even if your intent is to restore something.

More power to them. I love it that people are willing to spend their money in the industry, no matter what floats their boat. I hope to see it out on the course soon.

+1, well said

No. WHat we are saying is that this boat is a POS. We know the boat well, know the market well, and know there is very little value to this "particular" IMS boat. To get it to safe suitable for racing condition will be very expensive. To make it a pretty restoration, it will take much more.

Can they do it on a shoestring? Of course they can. But just the halyards, running rigging, sails and electronics will cost $100,000+, and the boat will still be a POS with new sails, running gear and electronics. So sink another $100k into making it less of a POS.

There are just a lot of better values out there, even if your intent is to restore something.

More power to them. I love it that people are willing to spend their money in the industry, no matter what floats their boat. I hope to see it out on the course soon.

You seem to be thinking in terms of restoring it to top class racing condition, which I agree would be a fools errand. Take a look at the local ads here for Will o' the Wisp - a gorgeous varnished Peterson that was recently fully modernized - they are down to $150K asking - less than the cost of the updates - carbon rig, deep T keel, new rudder etc. etc.

Restoring it to be a nice, fast, sexy boat would cost a whole lot less that that - I've done it.

I took a look at this boat when it was listed as well and I would be curious to know what was able to be salvaged and what ended up needing replacing. (Engine, instruments, rigging, sails) The broker also told me it looked like there was a sleave on the mast from a previous break. Is that true?

"But just the halyards, running rigging, sails and electronics will cost $100,000+"; only if you're looking to competitively race it.

I've saved two quarter tons from the scrap heap, and I'm sure it’s possible to save this boat as while. I bet you could get five sails for this 50fter for 15g's. The rest of the gear for another 10. It may not be the best, but it would probably enable the most rewarding sailing experience for a crew of eight available,

"But just the halyards, running rigging, sails and electronics will cost $100,000+"; only if you're looking to competitively race it.

I've saved two quarter tons from the scrap heap, and I'm sure it’s possible to save this boat as while. I bet you could get five sails for this 50fter for 15g's. The rest of the gear for another 10. It may not be the best, but it would probably enable the most rewarding sailing experience for a crew of eight available,

5 sails for a 50 footer for $15k? Sure from Bacon's, maybe. What would the end game be? A stripped out daysailor or cruiser? You forgot the engine and saildrive in that mix.

Is the boat salvageable? Sure. But what will the use be? Racing? What class? The rig is wrong for IRC, the hull is wrong for HPR, why would you pump that much money into a PHRF boat?

Shoe string budget on this boat = danger.

A new main for this boat is $23k.

15k willl not find you 5 usable, let alone raceable sails that fit this boat.

New running backstays will cost 5k and should be replaced often or the rig will come down. If a backstay, or worse, one of the runner blocks ($900 each) break under 15, 000 lbs load, you could kill someone.

This is not a 1/4 ton.

Costs probably wouldn't be too bad if they set it up as a PHRF type fun race boat. Standing rigging is ~$10-15k, the electronics may be serviceable, bare bone sails could be had for $30k (it's a frac, jibs and kites are smaller), engines can be re-sleeved and new seals installed, painting is cheap if labor is not included.... If they bought the boat right they could have a fun 50 for under $100k, about the same as a tricked out J70 program....

Costs probably wouldn't be too bad if they set it up as a PHRF type fun race boat. Standing rigging is ~$10-15k, the electronics may be serviceable, bare bone sails could be had for $30k (it's a frac, jibs and kites are smaller), engines can be re-sleeved and new seals installed, painting is cheap if labor is not included.... If they bought the boat right they could have a fun 50 for under $100k, about the same as a tricked out J70 program....

Ok. You can not buy sails for this boat for 30k

Cheap laminate main = 18k

Cheap laminate #1 = 8K

Cheap #3 = 8k

cheap .5kite = 8 k

That's 42k on the cheap end for race sails and not nearly a complete inventory. Add 2 more kites and two more jibs for another 32k and you have a nearly complete sail inventory

The point on the cost of sails is kind of a wash in my opinion. The cost for sails for a 50' race boat are what they are. If you're basing your decisions on the costs of sails, then you shouldn't be considering the boat in the first place. I'm curious more on what will/did it take to bring the rest of the boat back (hull, deck, hardware, electronics, mechanicals). You know, the stuff you don't usually replace every 3 or so years.

The point on the cost of sails is kind of a wash in my opinion. The cost for sails for a 50' race boat are what they are. If you're basing your decisions on the costs of sails, then you shouldn't be considering the boat in the first place. I'm curious more on what will/did it take to bring the rest of the boat back (hull, deck, hardware, electronics, mechanicals). You know, the stuff you don't usually replace every 3 or so years.

An interesting question, one not likely answered here. I do know that the boat nearly sank twice, once at the dock and once on land (hatches open and no drain). Both times the engine was covered. The sail drive was a corroded mess. So while you probably could have rebuilt the engine, the sail drive looked like it was well beyond repair. Figure a new engine and sail drive would run ~$25-30k installed?

i said it earlier and i'll say it again - just because you can run a 50' boat on the cheap doesnt mean that you should. Also, the idea of redoing the deck/topsides/hull for cheap just for materials is laughable - especially after redoing just the deck of a hobie33 (awlgrip and kiwigrip), i can assure you that a 50'er would not be "cheap". The idea that standing rigging could be done for 10-15k is asinine, as well.

I heard one story from a pretty good source that a winch or drum popped off one day while they were hoisting the main and nearly took a crew member out? this thing is not a J30...

If you have to ask what it costs, you cant afford it.

The budget some of you guys are talking is the annual running cost just to race this thing. Are you going to keep it at

the dock at your house? And you can find a similar size boat with a useable already discounted sail inventory and with a little leverage

be in a competitive and safer 45-50 foot IMS (IRC optimized) shitbox with a solid mast and not miss a season. Why not buy something like Pinball Wizard if you want to do this? Lots of options to avoid lots of headaches. But hey, maybe the guy owns a boat yard and has Left Hook signed up to run it!

I think most people here who have ever owned a boat probably have a ball park idea of what it would cost to bring this thing back. No doubt that buying something in better shape with better sails is the smarter option here but the nature of the project has intrigued me and I hope whoever is working on this thing gets it back and going and I (and others probably) would love to hear out the project is going.

So much bitterness here these days...

I do not have any bitterness towards this boat or the people re-doing her. What I can't stand is all of the uninformed opinions that think you can buy sails for this boat for nearly nothing.

So I'll bite as I did once earlier in this thread.

Engine and sail drive installed = $25k

Instruments - B&G H3000 = $45k another 35k if you want the auto pilot.

New running rigging = $14,000

Standing Rigging (including runners and checks) = $30k

If the winches are shot as M1 says than you are looking at $70,000 to replace all of them.

Random blocks that are in question = 5k conservative

Do you want to paint the bottom? = $1,200 for paint plus labor to apply and sand down (this does not include fairing) = $5,000 if you want a bottom job then $30k

So now you are day sailing and you have spent $100k on a boat that has sank twice and will cost you another $???? to get her race ready. As Moondance said, there are many deals to be had on well equiped boats. The attraction to this one was an entry price of $10k. It will cost them more than the boat that MD44 mentioned above "pinball Wizard" and they will still not have sails.

I have more than an idea of what it takes to bring this back. I have done it many times before on boats this size. I have receipts from projects done with various levels of commitment from the owners and none of them are cheap.

To get this boat local fleet, PHRF competetive you are looking at $200,000. To get it ready to put on the line with other race boats in IRC you will need to add a rig to the equation which will cost $150k installed.

Then you can go to sell it in three years and guess what it will be worth? NOTHING!!! because there will be a hole buch of boats in +/- condition on the market listed for less than $100k.

When things break on boats like this it can be extremely dangerous. THese boats and their equpment are built to tight tolerances that are not meant to last forever without proper maintenance, on an anual basis. This boat has sat in the boat yard or underwater for the last who knows how many years. Nothing has seen annual care for years and years. I have seen this boat up close and personal within the last year.

I love it when anyone is willing to bring an old race boat back to life, even this one. But lets be real. Unless you have a sentimental tie to this POS, it is not worht the gas money to get to the boat yard to buy her.

Hey Matt, trying to get my head around some of your numbers.

We've done work on our boat, some we've done ourselves, some we've hired when we didn't have the time or skill for the job.

Our partial list;

new engine was $10k plus help to install, a rebuild was $7500 so new seemed like a good move for new iron

our quote (last week) for standing rigging was $18k,

the auto pilot with gyro was $5k,

a 600' spool of Amsteel blue is $1100.

all our gear and winches we're good, only maintenance was required.

On Falcon;

It appears the numbers are working on the mast display so is there a need to upgrade to H3000? For PHRF style racing is there even a need for grand prix instruments?

Hard to tell about sails without knowing the fore triangle size but $30~40 should be good for most PHRF style racing.

Do the winches need to be replaced or can they be repaired?

Without knowing what gear came with the boat it's tough to say what needs to be bought and what doesn't.

If the hull and deck are sound then it could be a fun and safe boat for not a big pile of money. Again I would guess under $100k.

joli, remember, everything scales exponentially. the point of the winches is that this thing is not a toy. they were simply pulling a sail up when the thing popped apart/off. not bashing upwind in 30kts, just pulling the main up.

There is also something to be said about the value of restoring something. Thousands of people have spent over a hundred grand to restore 60's Corvettes, muscle cars or E-Types. These cars don't have the performance of a new 30 grand car but they have their own character and history.

I think restoring a sailboat makes more sense as this boat would have better performance then any boat you are likely to buy for the cost of restoration. Cost of replacing sails, winches, rigging and finishes are deceiving; you are not going to buy a similar boat that has all of these things brand new.

There is also something to be said about the value of restoring something. Thousands of people have spent over a hundred grand to restore 60's Corvettes, muscle cars or E-Types. These cars don't have the performance of a new 30 grand car but they have their own character and history.

I think restoring a sailboat makes more sense as this boat would have better performance then any boat you are likely to buy for the cost of restoration. Cost of replacing sails, winches, rigging and finishes are deceiving; you are not going to buy a similar boat that has all of these things brand new.

Apples to bullshit. A car can be collectable. IT will be worth more the better the restoration. There is a market for them that actually increases their value once restored. FOr boats, you might restore a J Class boat or a 12 meter or even a boat like Corina. Much different than what is going on here.

A second point. THis boat will not be restored. It will be slapped back together on a shoe string, in order to go sailing.

You are correct in saying that you will not by a similar boat with brand new bits for anywhere near what this thing will cost, but you will at least gat a boat that has been maintained over the years, that is not a threat to someones life.

You haven't been paying attention.

THANK YOU CLIFF!

I do not have any bitterness towards this boat or the people re-doing her. What I can't stand is all of the uninformed opinions that think you can buy sails for this boat for nearly nothing.

So I'll bite as I did once earlier in this thread.

Engine and sail drive installed = $25k

Instruments - B&G H3000 = $45k another 35k if you want the auto pilot.

New running rigging = $14,000

Standing Rigging (including runners and checks) = $30k

If the winches are shot as M1 says than you are looking at $70,000 to replace all of them.

Random blocks that are in question = 5k conservative

Do you want to paint the bottom? = $1,200 for paint plus labor to apply and sand down (this does not include fairing) = $5,000 if you want a bottom job then $30k

So now you are day sailing and you have spent $100k on a boat that has sank twice and will cost you another $???? to get her race ready. As Moondance said, there are many deals to be had on well equiped boats. The attraction to this one was an entry price of $10k. It will cost them more than the boat that MD44 mentioned above "pinball Wizard" and they will still not have sails.

I have more than an idea of what it takes to bring this back. I have done it many times before on boats this size. I have receipts from projects done with various levels of commitment from the owners and none of them are cheap.

To get this boat local fleet, PHRF competetive you are looking at $200,000. To get it ready to put on the line with other race boats in IRC you will need to add a rig to the equation which will cost $150k installed.

Then you can go to sell it in three years and guess what it will be worth? NOTHING!!! because there will be a hole buch of boats in +/- condition on the market listed for less than $100k.

When things break on boats like this it can be extremely dangerous. THese boats and their equpment are built to tight tolerances that are not meant to last forever without proper maintenance, on an anual basis. This boat has sat in the boat yard or underwater for the last who knows how many years. Nothing has seen annual care for years and years. I have seen this boat up close and personal within the last year.

I love it when anyone is willing to bring an old race boat back to life, even this one. But lets be real. Unless you have a sentimental tie to this POS, it is not worht the gas money to get to the boat yard to buy her.

To be fair, I reckon the guys who are doing this don't give a rats ass what you think, nor do they have to explain to you their reasons why. They are doing it for their own reasons. And anyway, there's plenty of secondhand TP52 gear around that they can beg/borrow/steal.