dacapo

Defender's Warehouse Sale

Just as a heads up Ajax, you have 1 possibly 2 more snow storms so dont brag...if you really wanted spring weather you would be at the other end of the Chesapeake bay <grin>..

I'm bullish on the weather. Wednesday's storm will pass to the north and bring us the rain we need to wash the shit off of the roads, while New York gets the snow.

<Jedi mindtrick> There is no second snow storm.

Just as a heads up Ajax, you have 1 possibly 2 more snow storms so dont brag...if you really wanted spring weather you would be at the other end of the Chesapeake bay <grin>..

I'm bullish on the weather. Wednesday's storm will pass to the north and bring us the rain we need to wash the shit off of the roads, while New York gets the snow.

<Jedi mindtrick> There is no second snow storm.

Second snow storm? You've only had the one?

Alex W, that appears to be the same vendor that pops up on eBay every now and then, they are out of Vancouver if I recall. They do have Nexus stuff available, but not much of a discount. I think the Start Pack 3 is USD 850 or so on eBay, and it's not on auction. Certainly no where near the clear out price of USD 300-350 that Defender had last year during the sale. The Start Pack 3 can be bought today from other on-line stores for about USD 950 or so, and probably includes some sort of support. Never know with CL or eB.

Central America is a monumental pain I the rear it get boat stuff. Sometimes they might have it, and sometimes it is insanely priced

they have west marine in central america?

I'll be doing my annual pilgrimage on Friday of the sale. Gonna go broke saving money! :P

who's a goin' on Friday? drinks or lunch anyone? ( i could always bring a cooler filled with beer in the parking lot ;-)

Friday?? All the really good deals are gone by Thursday afternoon. This will be my first year actually going Thursday morning, but I always went Thursday Afternoon and heard the stories of the goodies that had been there in the morning.

Friday?? All the really good deals are gone by Thursday afternoon. This will be my first year actually going Thursday morning, but I always went Thursday Afternoon and heard the stories of the goodies that had been there in the morning.

Want to get me 2 30 deg(755990) and 4 45 degree(755989) 1" rail fittings while you are there if they have a deal? Could use some cheap dock line too.

Can anyone tell if it'd be worth buying this during the sale? I'm not sure if I'm getting anything off or not.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|2028693|2207355&id=2426490&cartId=4971449

The answer is you will get a better price at the sale. Standard Horizon has a minimum advertised price policy that prevents any sellers from advertising a lower price. You could call Defender and ask them what the sale price is.

Take the trip Waterford and go broke saving money like the rest of us! I'll be spending my money on Friday....

Can anyone tell if it'd be worth buying this during the sale? I'm not sure if I'm getting anything off or not.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|2028693|2207355&id=2426490&cartId=4971449

The answer is you will get a better price at the sale. Standard Horizon has a minimum advertised price policy that prevents any sellers from advertising a lower price. You could call Defender and ask them what the sale price is.

Take the trip Waterford and go broke saving money like the rest of us! I'll be spending my money on Friday....

If you put it in your shopping cart, you can see the sale price.

I bought a bunch of harken pants/shorts for only $9 each, certainly worth the trip!

Harken has sold off it's clothing line....I too got $9 shorts, $5 flip flops, $25 spray smock, $25 softshell

We went on Thursday, this was our "date" for the week without kids!! Worth the 45 minute drive for the discounts on bottom paint alone. The Harken sale was pretty awesome. Stocked up on crew gear as well as stuff that recently cost 5x as much online. Loved it! Not that packed around 5pm either...

I'm in for a little over $1100. Painful. Nothing close out but just stuff I was going to buy anyway. I do hope this @#$%@#%@ boat floats this year.

If you know what you need the price reductions are good through the mail and it's next day! (to NY)

I buy a lot online, prices are good and delivery is fast.

Best sale ever this year!! Bibs for 20 bucks, Harken spray top with silky neck gaiter for 30, and Harken shoes for 20.... And hiking pants with pads another 20 bux...

and so it begins again this Thursday.......................who's spending boat bucks?

and so it begins again this Thursday.......................who's spending boat bucks?

You riding out?

You riding out?

Kegg in pakring lotte? :)

Hmmmm. Not a bad idea snaggs. Not bad at all.

We plan to be there near opening time on thursday. Need bottom paint, new 11' RIB, 20hp outboard, new fender covers, and who knows what else we'll see that we just can't live without?! I've ordered lots of stuff from there but am excited about visiting the store for the first time!

Be there Saturday

The place does get a little crowded during the sale. Parking varies between nuts and crazy. If you are there in person you can pick up quite a few deals not available online. On the other hand if what you want is online you can order during the sale and pick it up later. That's what I'm doing with bottom paint which carries high freight charges.

You riding out?

saturday morning.....with Eddie. Leaving early am from CYC.....beer in Parking lot, lunch/cocktails somewhere along the way home. A few are going Thursday but I can;'t get away from work this week (right before my vacation)

You riding out?

saturday morning.....with Eddie. Leaving early am from CYC.....beer in Parking lot, lunch/cocktails somewhere along the way home. A few are going Thursday but I can;'t get away from work this week (right before my vacation)

Ime am starteng to doute youre sinceritey, you mabey to dedictede musice.

(BTW - Ozzey lickes you an you bande.)

You riding out?

I not going to go on Friday or Sunday because i have gigs....going to the Defender Sale is a full day event. Dedicated to doing both the best I can '-)

You riding out?

I not going to go on Friday or Sunday because i have gigs....going to the Defender Sale is a full day event. Dedicated to doing both the best I can '-)

I no, juste teasinge!!

LOL just realized this thread was started 4 years ago !

No doubt, every year the season starts out with a trip to Defender !

Trying to get there early morning thur 3/26/15

We need some spring motivation; I look out my back door in central CT and everything is still covered in snow.

http://www.defender.com/warehouse-sale15_pre.html

Does anyone know what year Defender moved out of New Rochelle to Waterford, CT ?

We need some spring motivation; I look out my back door in central CT and everything is still covered in snow.

Does anyone know what year Defender moved out of New Rochelle to Waterford, CT ?

If you need foul weather gear, get there early, take a left, then another quick left down the stairs and shop quickly; the steals go fast. Henry Lloyd half price while they last sometimes.

Warehouse... the subject is warehouse... man I need to read more thoroughly.

If you need foul weather gear, get there early, take a left, then another quick left down the stairs and shop quickly; the steals go fast. Henry Lloyd half price while they last sometimes.

SSSSSSSSSShut Upppppppppp ;-)

Going Thursday. As always, I'll go broke saving money....

Defender moved out of New Rochelle either 1999 or 2000. The REI on Main Street moved out about the same time. Soon after Post Marine opened their large store down the street from Defender’s last location in New Rochelle. Post Marine was holding a real “going out of business sale” when I was last there in October.

The Henri Lloyd Shockwave clearance prices are NOT a deal. Well, not a good deal.... Far from it.

Defender, Meh....

Every year is different. All depends on what stuff they want to dump before inventory for tax purposes, I reckon? So, if a particular item is being replaced by a new model, they want to flick off the old one. Several years ago, I got daughter fully kitted in Lloyd gear for half of the $500 retail sticker price.

The HL Shockwave series is discontinued. HL USA website has it on closeout but is down to limited inventory. My problem is with the Shockwave's replacement; the Phoenix series. HL apparently needed to lower the price point on this offering, so they removed some of the OPTIVISION features, the Deck Armour pouches, and moved manufacturing over to China (Shockwave was manufactured in Poland)

Unfortunately HL are moving from marine gear to outdoor designer fashion. The marine products list continues to shrink. Some years ago LL Bean did the same thing so there must be money in it.

Sad :(

I went there once, ....I was pulled out of the place with three shopping carts of stuff....I went broke saving money....I've been in "boat rehab" ever since.......if I get remotely near the place, my head tilts toward it and starts to suck me in.....why does it taunt me so????

Because for many of us it is just like IS Christmas

Fixed

i don;t even have to be there physically to spend $$. I ordered a new halyard this morning which I will pick up on Saturday when I go in person.....

If anyone going to the sale finds adult size shorts, 34-36" please buy them and I'll pay you back. Only 28" on website

If anyone going to the sale finds adult size shorts, 34-36" please buy them and I'll pay you back. Only 28" on website

what kind?? I'm looking today as well for same size

Literally the first in the door today. Caught up with a bunch of friends, met some new folks. It was packed by 10:30. Whole lot of cabin fever goin on

how the fuck did I spend that much today???

As an aside....it snowed the 2 hrs. from NY to Defender, it snowed the 4 hrs. back to NY (2 hrs. spent at Keegan's Pub in Middletown Ct. ;-)

I'm with ya dacapo, they you gotta spend a lot to save a lot. I saved a LOT today. :blink:

As an aside....it snowed the 2 hrs. from NY to Defender, it snowed the 4 hrs. back to NY (2 hrs. spent at Keegan's Pub in Middletown Ct. ;-)

total accumulation... zero inches

The Defender annual sale makes me nostalgic for the Northeast U.S.

The snow does not.

The snow does not.

BJ.. You are well away from the Northeast this winter. The snow gods released the bloody Kraken upon us!!!!

The snow does not.

BJ.. You are well away from the Northeast this winter. The snow gods released the bloody Kraken upon us!!!!

I know, I've followed all the whining through Facebook.

10981439_377130485799236_8491656188_zps8

My winter long distance racing season was harsh to say the least as on 3 events we had new snow storms on top of the old storms during races :) could you time it any worse

it's that time once again boys and girls....whatcha buyin this year?

Don't they do this on the west coast?

Like only people sail on the east coast?

The east is like San Diego.....................lost

Time for my annual "Damn do I miss living an hour away from Defender" post.

Still the best marine store, maybe the best store period, in the known universe.

Taking a car full of friends next Thursday. Meeting others there too. The gals on my crew want to be there when the doors open to go through the foulies and clothing. Last year they bought a bunch of closeout items for pennies on the dollar. You'd think it was Filene's basement.

My boat needs have already been met this year so I'll just be window shopping. That is just as dangerous as I have been known to go broke saving money with impulse purchases. I'm meeting some friends who are driving up from opposite corners and have offered to buy them lunch - hotdogs and chips in the garage!

Do they sell a clue there yet?

That would be the biggest seller if they did.

I have about 15 things in my online shopping cart planned out... I'm debating online or drive down. God knows I'll end up buying extra shit. Probably won't bring the GF...

Girlfriend:"what's that?"

Salesman: " a baseball glove but it says Musto and is 50% off"

Girlfriend:"I'll take 2!"

I might pull the trigger on an EV-100 wheel pilot if it's included in the sale. I thought certain things aren't included.

I might pull the trigger on an EV-100 wheel pilot if it's included in the sale. I thought certain things aren't included.

They usually have the vendor reps on site. A few years back when I had my J/30 the Raymarine rep was giving out coupons for a free autohelm wireless remote/base station the first 10 people who came to him with a sales slip that they had purchased a Raymarine autohelm. That and the Defender sale price made me do an impulse purchase spending $999 that I didn't plan on (about 1/2 what the system with the remote would normally cost). You can only get those kind of deals if you are there. The online sales prices are great, but you miss those extras (and the hot dogs...).

Ajax, they typically have a sale price online for those as well. A couple years back I bought the EV100 tiller pilot during the warehouse sale.

Flares, hot dogs in the garage and a bunch of shit I didn't know I needed

when ya going??

Do they sell a clue there yet?

That would be the biggest seller if they did.

when ya going??

i stop for drinks at Keagan's Irish Bar in Middletown afterwards....

when ya going??

sat or sunday. just got word that i am going to a funeral on the cape friday. what is your eta?

Ajax, they typically have a sale price online for those as well. A couple years back I bought the EV100 tiller pilot during the warehouse sale.

I've generally found Hodges Marine prices on Raymarine stuff to be cheaper year round than Defender's prices are during the big sale. I live too far away to go in person though and don't know about special in person deals.

when ya going??

sat or sunday. just got word that i am going to a funeral on the cape friday. what is your eta?

i leave here fri at 8am.........I leave Defender when my pocket is empty ( 1-2ish) then i go to Middletown Ct. and have a burger with tater tots and a few beers......sorry about the funeral....

when ya going??

i leave here fri at 8am.........I leave Defender when my pocket is empty ( 1-2ish) then i go to Middletown Ct. and have a burger with tater tots and a few beers......sorry about the funeral....

I heard in isle 6 they were selling clue's, a limited amount, were you able to purchase 1 before they ran out?

so what happens when the clues run out?

Just go out and watch some sailboat racing in Western LIS and you will find out ;)

Bargain basement clues can be bad, buyer beware.

Yes, I think that's what the J105ers buy

You get an old age discount on top of everything...happy birthday

I went there once, ....I was pulled out of the place with three shopping carts of stuff....I went broke saving money....I've been in "boat rehab" ever since.......if I get remotely near the place, my head tilts toward it and starts to suck me in.....why does it taunt me so????

Because for many of us it is just like better then Christmas

Had to correct that minor error.... ;)

You get an old age discount on top of everything...happy birthday

Thank you

The sale price catalog is now online. If you are out of CT they will deliver tax free at sale prices but you have to allow two weeks. In some cases the tax will be greater than the freight so you finish in front. e.g. Dyneema lines which are very light, but forget buying anchor chain out of state.

The discounted stuff on the tables is never advertised online. You have to be there so if you can use a line offcut or anything wearable then head on down. If your fashion conscious side can deal with the embarrassment of being seen in last years' shorts or shoes go for it. Many things will be less than half price.

I have never been into Defenders web site before. Currently prices are listed however to get their MAP or actual price you have to put item in a shopping cart to display the lesser price. Is that how it always works or is that MAP cart price arrangement peculiar to just the current sale?

Jack - that is how it always worked for Defender to comply with vendor agreements that required them to show the lowest MAP. Not all items are like that, just those with vendors that require a minimum advertised price.

I was hoping for a deal on B&G T2's, like they had with the first gen Tritons, a free 2nd display with the wind & depth/speed package. No such luck. Probably woulda gone for it it they did. Maybe later.

Not a bad day. Got a deal on some scratch and dent bottom paint. Bunch of deck hardware.As anticipated GF bought 2 jackets and a pair of sperrys. But the highlight was stopping at the Greek sandwich shop on the way out.

You all are killing me. I walked into Whitworth's the other day with a shopping list for two projects, and left empty handed.

Nailed a HL elite light offshore gore tex jacket for $269, HL website has it listed for $600

It's this weekend!! Fark me! I was told it was last weekend, and I'd missed it, not that I needed anything really. Just fun to gawk and catch up with old mates there. At least I won't miss the second Frostbite race this afternoon! First few were cancelled for weather, and had to go to a wake last Sunday.

if I had a bottomless wallet I'd be happy happy happy, BUT when the missuz says keep it under $1000 I gotta listen.

AIS-B receiver

RAM Mic for cockpit

bottom paint

cushion foam for new cabin cushions : holy facker I didn't think (or wrap my brain around) how MUCH foam I bought before I tried to figure out how to stuff it in the car....58x108x4 and 58x108x5 inches of foam is a LOT.....I was only able to stuff one piece (after rolling it up and heavily taping it) into the back seat...the second piece, we decided to strap down onto the roof.......which meant I had to go back in and buy 50 ft. of dyneema line B)

that came out to something like $994 so I spent another $1 on a clue they were located near the marine toilets.

2 beers at Keagan Irish pub in Middletown

2 margaritas and lunch at some mexican place

and home by 5pm.....

A day well spent, dacapo! But the beers and lunch put you over SWMBO's budget cap!! :o:P

A day well spent, dacapo! But the beers and lunch put you over SWMBO's budget cap!! :o:P

food/bev doesn't count ;) paid for in cash can;t trace it