dacapo

Defender's Warehouse Sale

55 minutes ago, widget said:

Garmin doesn’t seem to be on their list. Bummer, I needed a new gps/chart plotter  for the stinkpot.

Defender and Garmin parted ways a few years ago.  You'll be happy with the deals that are available with other manufacturers there for the sale.  I have personally gotten some deep discounts on Raymarine and B&G stuff at previous sales.  For the stinkpot Simrad is the Navico branded stuff with the same hardware as B&G and might be something you should look at.  

My brother is planning on going. We need a few things to wrap up the purchase of a Mako 241, our regatta tender.

23 hours ago, widget said:

Garmin doesn’t seem to be on their list. Bummer, I needed a new gps/chart plotter  for the stinkpot.

Why Garmin ?

4 hours ago, savoir said:

Why Garmin ?

Falling out back around 2011. Given the other choices in plotters, not a huge loss, but it does mean there are no handhelds to be had through Defender

The rise of auto GPS destroyed demand for the smaller marine units. The marine retailers just can't compete with the auto parts giants. If a 5" dashboard unit is OK you should be able to get a Raymarine model from Defender for around $300. Plenty of handhelds cost more than that. They have all USA programmed in and you get to choose between C Map and Navionics data.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=raymarine-dragonfly-5m-chartplotter-with-gps-and-c-map-essentials-charts&path=-1|344|2028688|2028743&id=2699726

Anyone know the exact sale dates this year? We're visiting the US this summer and want to order stuff while it's cheap...

Boy do I miss Defender though.

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

Anyone know the exact sale dates this year? We're visiting the US this summer and want to order stuff while it's cheap...

Boy do I miss Defender though.

BJ - It is Thursday-Sunday 22 - 25 March per this link

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

They don't have that on their main page FFS.

I googled it and it linked to their Sale Page.

12 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

They don't have that on their main page FFS.

I googled it and it linked to their Sale Page.

Silly me, I just went to their home page and looked around for info.

7 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Silly me, I just went to their home page and looked around for info.

What do you need BJ?  I have to go and replace my 10+ year old Henry Lloyd water resistant, lightweight Windbreaker, that finally got a small tear in the shell.  Or would shipping to your location be prohibitive?? LOL!!

6 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

What do you need BJ?  I have to go and replace my 10+ year old Henry Lloyd water resistant, lightweight Windbreaker, that finally got a small tear in the shell.  Or would shipping to your location be prohibitive?? LOL!!

We'll be in the states in July, so I figured I'd order a few things and just ship them to my parents or my sister.

A few things on the list include...you can get this stuff in Australia, but prices are high and selection is often limited.

• AIS Transceiver
  • Antenna splitter for above
  • Two new offshore PFD's
  • Boat shoes
  • Two personal AIS MOB beacons

We're still building up the list. A lot of our safety gear was new when we left in 2012 and is getting a little long in the tooth. Sadly, I can't put SOLAS flares in my luggage.

2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

We'll be in the states in July, so I figured I'd order a few things and just ship them to my parents or my sister.

A few things on the list include...you can get this stuff in Australia, but prices are high and selection is often limited.

• AIS Transceiver
  • Two new offshore PFD's
  • Boat shoes

We're still building up the list. A lot of our safety gear was new when we left in 2012 and is getting a little long in the tooth. Sadly, I can't put SOLAS flares in my luggage.

Vesper's XB-8000 is as good an AIS unit as you'll find and their splitter is great too. They're based in Aukland, are their prices cheaper in the States?

2 hours ago, IStream said:
4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

• AIS Transceiver
  • Two new offshore PFD's
  • Boat shoes

Vesper's XB-8000 is as good an AIS unit as you'll find and their splitter is great too. They're based in Aukland, are their prices cheaper in the States?

The cheapest one I can find here in Oz is about $200 USD more than Defender's current pricing. Before the March sale, which presumably will knock a couple of bucks off it. That's the one I was looking for BTW.

Hell, it's more expensive to buy in NZ than in the US. It's $730 USD at Defender.

Online in NZ it's $1,400 NZ or so, which is about $1,012 USD.

On 3/3/2018 at 5:54 AM, savoir said:

Why Garmin ?

Mainly because I've got the HD vision card.  I was looking at the GPSMap 722/742 series.  Replacing the GPSmap640 which is closer to an auto unit with marine software.   The main reason is to get better visibility in the sun.  Without my hand cupped over it and nose to the screen, it's hardly visible.  I guess i should start a thread to see what might be a  comparable alternative..

11 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:
14 hours ago, IStream said:
16 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

• AIS Transceiver
  • Two new offshore PFD's
  • Boat shoes

The cheapest one I can find here in Oz is about $200 USD more than Defender's current pricing. Before the March sale, which presumably will knock a couple of bucks off it. That's the one I was looking for BTW.

Hell, it's more expensive to buy in NZ than in the US. It's $730 USD at Defender.

Online in NZ it's $1,400 NZ or so, which is about $1,012 USD.

That's crazy.