• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K38BOB

DHF 2011 anyone? Sat. April 9th Entry deadline Wed Apr 6 OYC 7:30 pm

Who's in for BAMA ( Bay Area Multihull Association ) 32nd DHF on Sat. April 9th ?

Check : 32nd DHF 2011 for updates, details, online entry link.

Per the NOR, Coast Guard requires 406 beacons. Time to buy, borrow, rent one of these great aids to the CG SAR teams.

Since 406 beacons need to be registered to the yacht on the course, entry's need to be submitted by the Skippers Meeting

Skippers' meeting, Wednesday April 6, 2011 7:30 p.m. at the Oakland Yacht Club. All skippers are requested to attend. Any changes in starting procedures, course limits, division placement, etc., will be announced at this meeting. Each skipper is responsible for acquiring information of such changes. Participation mementos for skipper and crew will be available at the Skipper’s meeting and Trophy presentation.

"Have a great race!"

For more info on past DHF SA DHF 2010 SA DHF 2009 SA DHF 2008

Who's in for BAMA ( Bay Area Multihull Association ) 32nd DHF on Sat. April 9th ?

Per the NOR, Coast Guard requires 406 beacons. Time to buy, borrow, rent one of these great aids to the CG SAR teams.

Since 406 beacons need to be registered to the yacht on the course, entry's need to be submitted by the Skippers Meeting

Skippers' meeting, Wednesday April 6, 2011 7:30 p.m. at the Oakland Yacht Club. All skippers are requested to attend. Any changes in starting procedures, course limits, division placement, etc., will be announced at this meeting. Each skipper is responsible for acquiring information of such changes. Participation mementos for skipper and crew will be available at the Skipper's meeting and Trophy presentation.

"Have a great race!"

Andy Evans has written a book about single handing tips Download book on SSS site for FREE!

SA forum on the book

Thanks Andy and SSS !

DHF virgins. We did the Fiasco in January and are gonna bring the boat back to Lake Michigan after the race. Sailing in the Bay and under the Golden Gate on my own boat was part of my life list and it's been incredible keeping the boat in Sausalito for the winter. Sure beats winter storage in the midwest.

DHF virgins. We did the Fiasco in January and are gonna bring the boat back to Lake Michigan after the race. Sailing in the Bay and under the Golden Gate on my own boat was part of my life list and it's been incredible keeping the boat in Sausalito for the winter. Sure beats winter storage in the midwest.

Hell man, might as well hang out for the summer (at least until the Great Vallejo Race) when we actually have some breeze...and maybe, just maybe this infernal rain will have finally stopped!

Hell man, might as well hang out for the summer (at least until the Great Vallejo Race) when we actually have some breeze...and maybe, just maybe this infernal rain will have finally stopped!

Yea, there's never any breeze for the DHF. Never, nope, hasn't ever happened...Hope you guys get some wind this year (it always seems to blow, or not, never in the sweet, comfy middle range).

Yea, there's never any breeze for the DHF. Never, nope, hasn't ever happened...Hope you guys get some wind this year (it always seems to blow, or not, never in the sweet, comfy middle range).

The record years seem to be pretty sweet- reach out and back- finish early afternoon (for the multis)

I think the comfy years are less memorable too..

Cool. If you are unfamiliar with the race conditions, please read the other SA Forums and the stories on the DHF page. Especially the pterodactyl (Olsen 40) incident

14 day SF Forecast

Skippers' meeting, Wednesday April 6, 2011 7:30 p.m. at the Oakland Yacht Club. All skippers are requested to attend. Any changes in starting procedures, course limits, division placement, etc., will be announced at this meeting. Each skipper is responsible for acquiring information of such changes. Participation mementos for skipper and crew will be available at the Skipper's meeting and Trophy presentation.

"Have a great race!"

Alright, I'm a definite tentative maybe at this point. Decision by the end of the week. It's a work thing. If I did not have to work for a living I'd have more fun.

Alright, I'm a definite tentative maybe at this point. Decision by the end of the week. It's a work thing. If I did not have to work for a living I'd have more fun.

Hey the weather is just what you wanted..nice and comfy !

......with some theme music too

USA 577 "WAFI" is planning on racing.

What other Mini's will be out there?

cool... (I still owe you some curry chicken)

As long as I do not have to repair bulkhead tabbing afterwards a la 1999 I'm happy with the weather. I've even had some nice trips around the stinky rocks in light breeze, dolphins swimming by, birds flying etc. (I can tell you that it is important to was the jelly fish off the deck before the next day. The suckers really stick by the following afternoon.)

As long as I do not have to repair bulkhead tabbing afterwards a la 1999 I'm happy with the weather. I've even had some nice trips around the stinky rocks in light breeze, dolphins swimming by, birds flying etc. (I can tell you that it is important to was the jelly fish off the deck before the next day. The suckers really stick by the following afternoon.)

1999 had a bit more breeze than forecasted for this year

Jon Kocol DHF 1999 on F25c .................... Joe S DHF 1999 on SEAWIND ..........

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

Interesting how much those long range forecasts change over time. Its been and remains "good" but the flavor of "good" changes...

More sun than clouds.

Cool.58°F49°F

15 mph / WNW

0% precipt.

If you are searching for the Pterodactyl incident, put an "O" in OLSON 40.

Cool. If you are unfamiliar with the race conditions, please read the other SA Forums and the stories on the DHF page. Especially the pterodactyl (Olsen 40) incident

Yes, Olson, as in Bree, not Olsen, as in Twins. ;)

Lack of wind in last week's DH LS was a little disappointing; hoping for more thrills next week.

Not. ;)

GRIBS don't go out as far as next Saturday, but it looks like we may still be squeezed between the inland low and the stable, slowly moving offshore High, winds NNW @ 25kts.

Yes, Olson, as in Bree, not Olsen, as in Twins. ;)

Lack of wind in last week's DH LS was a little disappointing; hoping for more thrills next week.

Not. ;)

GRIBS don't go out as far as next Saturday, but it looks like we may still be squeezed between the inland low and the stable, slowly moving offshore High, winds NNW @ 25kts.

oops on Olson.. I was a Bill Lee customer.

Check DHF 2008 for Pterodactyl O-40 incident- link in first post.

Short story. Not extraordinary conditions. 2 guys tossed in the drink 15-20 miles offshore. On the ball skipper who had been pacing them on a fun daysail noticed erratic behavior. Grabbed binocs. No one in the cockpit. Backtracked wake and saw 2 heads bobbing. Within 10-20- mins they were aboard the rescue boat. AMAZINGLY LUCKY!

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

Interesting how much those long range forecasts change over time. Its been and remains "good" but the flavor of "good" changes...

More sun than clouds.

Cool.58°F49°F

15 mph / WNW

0% precipt.

Still good forecast.. wind is increasing.

Do you have all the required gear? Locating beacon in time to be registered etc?

A mixture of sun and clouds.

Cool.59°F46°F

24 mph / WSW

11% precipt

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

More sun than clouds.

Cool.58°F49°F

15 mph / WNW

0% precipt.

Do you have all the required gear? Locating beacon in time to be registered etc?

Cool.59°F46°F

24 mph / WSW

11% precipt

I need flares (mine are expired). How long does it take to register one of those things? I'll likely just rent from Sal's again. Still waiting for my crew to confirm...tick-tock

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

More sun than clouds.

Cool.58°F49°F

15 mph / WNW

0% precipt.

Cool.59°F46°F

24 mph / WSW

11% precipt

I need flares (mine are expired). How long does it take to register one of those things? I'll likely just rent from Sal's again. Still waiting for my crew to confirm...tick-tock

From the first post in last year forum (link above), register online which needs to be done by skippers meetings so BAMA can provide to CG to review with other material to issue the permit

Even more so the '99 DHF..... F31 pitchpoled on the back/'rough' side.... rescued in the breakers by Bruce Schwab sailing the Azzura 310, J/29 rolled, Harvey Schlasky dragging on tether - perished. DHF has the most carnage of the spring shorthanded races in the Gulf of the Farallones.

Even more so the '99 DHF..... F31 pitchpoled on the back/'rough' side.... rescued in the breakers by Bruce Schwab sailing the Azzura 310, J/29 rolled, Harvey Schlasky dragging on tether - perished. DHF has the most carnage of the spring shorthanded races in the Gulf of the Farallones.

Its definitely worthy of respect

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

More sun than clouds.

Cool.58°F49°F

15 mph / WNW

0% precipt.

Cool.59°F46°F

24 mph / WSW

11% precipt

Weather still looking good- hope the SW holds :-)

Cool.56°F46°F

23 mph / SW

precipt. 19%

Temerity is in. There are 50 entries as of Monday 1700 PDT, quite a diverse fleet from the Cal 20 through the Open 50.

Temerity is in. There are 50 entries as of Monday 1700 PDT, quite a diverse fleet from the Cal 20 through the Open 50.

Cool

5 more later last night for 55 and apparently accelerating. Improving weather too (for Sat.)

Clearing Pt. Bonita on the way in in '99 was the only time I have felt a sense of "wow, we're going to live" after coming in off the ocean. Getting a gun shortly thereafter was kinda nice, too.

Clearing Pt. Bonita on the way in in '99 was the only time I have felt a sense of "wow, we're going to live" after coming in off the ocean. Getting a gun shortly thereafter was kinda nice, too.

I had a similar feeling in the 2001 race..

..the strange thing was the race in the early '80s was a wonderful day and we thought the orange helo was out for practice.

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

More sun than clouds.

Cool.58°F49°F

15 mph / WNW

0% precipt.

Cool.59°F46°F

24 mph / WSW

11% precipt

Weather still looking good- hope the SW holds :-)

Cool.56°F46°F

23 mph / SW

precipt. 19%

Lookin' good

Passing clouds.

Cool.60°F44°F

22 mph / WSW

precipt 4%

Skippers meeting tonight- entries 66 now

Measured currents during the Double Handed Light Ship (March 26 2011)

post-4859-026482800 1302115913_thumb.gif

Tide tables for Golden Gate had slack at 07:13 (LT), max ebb 10:31 (3.6kn), slack 14:51, max flood 18:11 (2.9kn)

- this is measured data (not simulated) from http://www.norcalcurrents.org/

- long, red arrow is 2kn but data is averaged, so there can be much faster 'jets' of currents

- there is barely any flood, probably because the surface water is less dense (salinity) and wants to get out of the bay

- the animation cycles back after 21:00

Hint: DHF will be 2:15 offset in the tide cycle...

PM me for higher resolution

Lookin' good

Passing clouds.

Cool.60°F44°F

22 mph / WSW

precipt 4%

Skippers meeting tonight- entries 66 now

Hmmm, PredictWind Saturday showing light and NW at 9:00am at the lightship, strengthening and backing a bit to WNW and low 20s by the afternoon.

NOAA not showing quite as much breeze

Synopsis...GULF OF THE FARALLONES...AND CORDELL BANK NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARIES...

HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC WILL INTENSIFY THE PRESSURE GRADIENT TODAY CREATING GALE FORCE CONDITIONS FOR THE OUTER WATERS. LOCAL GALE FORCE GUSTS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE IN SAN FRANCISCO AND MONTEREY BAYS. MODERATE PERIOD SWELL CONTINUES TO BUILD TODAY. GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS WILL CONTINUE FOR MUCH OF THE WORK WEEK. UNSETTLED WEATHER INCLUDING THE POSSIBILITY OF THUNDERSTORMS RETURNS TONIGHT.

This Afternoon: NW wind 26 to 28 kt, with gusts as high as 35 kt. Sunny. Mixed swell...WNW 13 ft at 15 seconds and SSW 1 ft at 15 seconds. Wind waves around 4 ft.

Tonight: W wind 18 to 28 kt. A chance of rain, mainly after 11pm. Mixed swell...WNW 13 ft at 13 seconds and SSW 1 ft at 20 seconds. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft.

Thursday: WNW wind 22 to 28 kt, with gusts as high as 34 kt. Rain likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce small hail. Mixed swell...NW 12 to 13 ft at 13 seconds and SW 2 ft at 19 seconds. Wind waves 3 to 4 ft.

Thursday Night: NNW wind 14 to 24 kt. A slight chance of rain and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce small hail. Mixed swell...NW 12 to 13 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves 3 to 4 ft.

Friday: NW wind 12 to 20 kt. Mostly sunny. Mixed swell...NW 11 to 12 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Friday Night: NW wind 15 to 20 kt. Mostly clear. Mixed swell...NW 10 to 11 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves around 3 ft.

Saturday: NW wind 13 to 18 kt. Mostly sunny. Mixed swell...NW 10 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Saturday Night: WNW wind 13 to 18 kt decreasing to 7 to 12 kt after midnight. Mostly cloudy. Mixed swell...NW 7 to 9 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

NOAA currently showing:

Fri...N winds 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 4 to 7 ft. NW swell 10 to 12 ft at 12 seconds and S 3 ft at 17 seconds. Slight chance of rain.

Fri Night...N winds 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 4 to 7 ft. NW swell 9 to 11 ft and S 3 ft.

Sat...NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 6 to 8 ft and S 3 ft.

But these predictions are frequently less than perfectly accurate, especially with regard to timing. So, here's hoping the Friday front doesn't dally by 12 hours...

Anybody know where to find division splits? Thought they said at the meeting last night they would be on the web by now but I cant find them.

As of 9:30pm said division splits are not posted.. BAMA says they want to make the most entertaining event possible, perhaps this is why they don't post on time.

Anyone know start time/division for Express 27?

Thanks t rock. Wish they would include boat types. Bitch bitch bitch

Interesting, predictwind is calling for low teens up till noon, high teens afterwards out at the Farallones

At the gate, a drifter at the start, building to the standard 18+ at 3 pm

Light wind start. Surprisingly strong flood on the start. Finally some offshore breeze for a down wind start.

post-1447-011363600 1302374831_thumb.jpg

I think the whole fleet had a late start by at least 30 mins

Nobody over early

post-1447-019977200 1302376748_thumb.jpg

Smart boats tacked/bore away into the hole flushed towards Alcatraz/angel to get around the hole and then tack on the ebb express out the gate by the North Tower.

About 20 % have now retired. seasick and gear and Wind and waves reasons. Over 20 knts and 8 secs on waves . 73 starters out of 76 entrants

Christ, my VHF is going bananas. Sounds like quite a lot of carnage out there.

any information you can share?

I'm just listening to the VHF. Coasties are initiating a search just off Ocean Beach.

Is there a way to monitor SF station channel 16 online? A quick search is not returning anything useful.

I don't think so. The USCG helo is using 21A. 22A is also busy, but unintelligible from my location.

Do you know if it is a boat from the race. The fact that there were two people onboard is a bit worrisome. Not that it matters, but I know quite a few people out there today.

Do you know if it is a boat from the race. The fact that there were two people onboard is a bit worrisome. Not that it matters, but I know quite a few people out there today.

Roger that.

If it was a boat from the race it must have been a fast one. First mono finished 20 minutes after the time reported in the article. Time could be wrong, though.

Is there a way to monitor SF station channel 16 online? A quick search is not returning anything useful.

I don't think so. The USCG helo is using 21A. 22A is also busy, but unintelligible from my location.

Anything on ch 71 - RC?

Roger that.

-ep wishing the best.

All DHF racers in and/or accounted for! The missing boat is not ours but the CG is still out in force.

Lot of retirements

Time for dinner

I hope they find the missing person. Was a pretty and lumpy day out there. Now, if someone could just explain to me where that flood at the start came from...painful, painful...It was supposed to be ebbing nicely at that hour, and was out in the middle of the bay...

Rough day out there - we bailed at the bar. Tough getting a reef in, lost a jib sheet, blah blah blah. I think it all went wrong when we raised the main, and a robins nest including 4 eggs tumbled onto the deck....

Thanks Bob!

Rough day out there - we bailed at the bar. Tough getting a reef in, lost a jib sheet, blah blah blah. I think it all went wrong when we raised the main, and a robins nest including 4 eggs tumbled onto the deck....

Thanks Bob!

Home-wrecker!

Well I spent the worst half hour of my life making love to the spin pole and trying to wrestle the #1 back on board, as it tried to make like a sea anchor. I pulled a muscle pretty bad in my upper abdomen and I'm going to need a new starboard lower diagonal shroud. Very glad to get home! Only 4/9 finishers in our division.

If it was a boat from the race it must have been a fast one. First mono finished 20 minutes after the time reported in the article. Time could be wrong, though.

Assuming they were on the return leg..could have been outbound boat hypothetically- but it wasn't.

Congrats btw!

Well DT had a great Start and we were first out of the Bay with Trunk Monkey the only other mono that managed to exit the bay with out being caught at the start by the tide.

f

Once we cleared Bonita we were the Northern Most boat in the fleet and were taking pretty Steep waves off the shoals but managed to get thru pretty well beside banged around a bit. The wind staedily built to the low 20's just off Bonita then as we progressed a mile or so out out the waves and wind continued to increase up to solid 26 with gust close to 30. By this point we were trying to slow DT Down and she was just jumping off the backs of the steep waves and hard into the next. I thought our rig was going to come down every time we leaped off the next wave. Pat went down to get his handheld GPS to get a heading for the Rock and I was up alone for a while we lept off a huge wave and when we came down the boat came down with such force I heard a crack from the steering Quadrant area huh.gifat the Same time our back stay handle was flung overboard into the ocean. ( Take note wow would have been smart to a have a tether on that!) Now the rig was unadjustable great ! sad.gifWe sailed along for a good 4 or 5 more miles waiting to see if the wind would increase or subside during that time the creaks from the steering area was coming and going depending on load. I asked pat what the heading was for the island and he gave me the news that our only mapping gps had taken a shit! 12 Miles out we decided to give up on our attempt of First mono hull to finish !

We continued upwind until an inbound freighter took our stern and followed him until we new we were in the channel. On our way back in we sailed for 10 minutes before we saw the open 50 coming up wind. I think we would have had our shot as our J125 has the legs down wind and the 50 had some catching up to do. He probably would have caught us but our start had paid off huge . We hugged the green Markers all the way in dodging 3 in Bound and Outbound freighter's. Under Main alone trying to keep the boat as unloaded as we could we still hit over 18 knots on multiple occasions ( a few times the speedo would be reading 16 17 and then it would drop down even though the boat was still accelerating then I realized the speedos were just both completely out of the water. The 125 is a joy to drive down wind when your not worrying about your rudder !

Once we hit Racoon straits I got a real good look at the steering down below. There was the culprit a broken support tube that supports the upper Rudder bearing and keeps the rudder shaft aligned. It prevents side to side movement of the steering shaft under load. I removed the top inspection cover and you could visibly see the carbon rudder post moving starboard to port NOT GOOD.

Im Thankful we got back safe. I was picturing having to climb in the life raft.

Well DT had a great Start and we were first out of the Bay with Trunk Monkey the only other mono that managed to exit the bay with out being caught at the start by the tide.

f

Once we cleared Bonita we were the Northern Most boat in the fleet and were taking pretty Steep waves off the shoals but managed to get thru pretty well beside banged around a bit. The wind staedily built to the low 20's just off Bonita then as we progressed a mile or so out out the waves and wind continued to increase up to solid 26 with gust close to 30. By this point we were trying to slow DT Down and she was just jumping off the backs of the steep waves and hard into the next. I thought our rig was going to come down every time we leaped off the next wave. Pat went down to get his handheld GPS to get a heading for the Rock and I was up alone for a while we lept off a huge wave and when we came down the boat came down with such force I heard a crack from the steering Quadrant area huh.gifat the Same time our back stay handle was flung overboard into the ocean. ( Take note wow would have been smart to a have a tether on that!) Now the rig was unadjustable great ! sad.gifWe sailed along for a good 4 or 5 more miles waiting to see if the wind would increase or subside during that time the creaks from the steering area was coming and going depending on load. I asked pat what the heading was for the island and he gave me the news that our only mapping gps had taken a shit! 12 Miles out we decided to give up on our attempt of First mono hull to finish !

We continued upwind until an inbound freighter took our stern and followed him until we new we were in the channel. On our way back in we sailed for 10 minutes before we saw the open 50 coming up wind. I think we would have had our shot as our J125 has the legs down wind and the 50 had some catching up to do. He probably would have caught us but our start had paid off huge . We hugged the green Markers all the way in dodging 3 in Bound and Outbound freighter's. Under Main alone trying to keep the boat as unloaded as we could we still hit over 18 knots on multiple occasions ( a few times the speedo would be reading 16 17 and then it would drop down even though the boat was still accelerating then I realized the speedos were just both completely out of the water. The 125 is a joy to drive down wind when your not worrying about your rudder !

Once we hit Racoon straits I got a real good look at the steering down below. There was the culprit a broken support tube that supports the upper Rudder bearing and keeps the rudder shaft aligned. It prevents side to side movement of the steering shaft under load. I removed the top inspection cover and you could visibly see the carbon rudder post moving starboard to port NOT GOOD.

Im Thankful we got back safe. I was picturing having to climb in the life raft.

Wow, thanks for the writeup and glad you made it in ok.

When is the awards party/ceremony? At OYC I hope...

I am writing up a blog entry on our race, but unfortunately we had some strange electrical problems and my handheld GPS ran out of track memory. So I have only a partial track that is probably not worth uploading. Three or four times slamming down off a big wave there was an electronic glitch somehow, and the instrument system thought an MOB had been triggered (well, it could have been an MOB) and I didn't know how to clear it without resetting everything. And we were feeling too beat up by the time we reached the rocks to snap any pics, although it was very beautiful out there.