• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

13,217 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Bull City said:

Mystery Painter Revealed

The first clue is that the painting is based on this photo posted a while back, I forget where, and I posted my admiration of it.:

59b9b75ad7896_francislee.jpg.948ab357e81127114ea06dee41513707.jpg

The second clue is that I like skinny boats with tillers, and sail one.

In the photo, I was able to ID Frances Lee's designer, and kept him in the painting. Kim, I assumed, was steering. I left out the two other boats. I imagine Frankie left them behind in short order.

So, I am the painter. During the renovation of my H-Boat, Kim very kindly sent me an H-Boat brochure that he had received years ago.

WFD sir! 

Thank you, folks. Thank you, thank you.

I started painting about 12 years ago, and really enjoy it. Oil painting is an interesting process. It starts with an underpainting, sometimes preceded by a sketch, and then application of the actual colors. At least that's the way I was taught. Obviously, I'm partial to anything with a sail on it, but I also like old houses.  A few years I did a painting of a house in one of older neighborhoods, and took some progress photos that I think are pretty neat in that they show the process:

Sketch with underpainting:

59bae63341e42_CH-11.jpg.8a107f7666b783b99ccdcab8b1e44e6d.jpg

Beginning to add colors:

59bae633e5b05_CH-12.jpg.805ee106d815994f5ba19aedce39d50e.jpg59bae634eefea_CH-13.jpg.19c02c1abcad9dcece3c5ef610d86e3f.jpg59bae635c5ab0_CH-14.jpg.694a2a7ce567678c4f434a67bcc6db76.jpg59bae636a47a2_CH-15.jpg.c3867b5f2e83fef4cf6e798c0f66f5bf.jpg59bae6376f438_CH-16.jpg.d2ae9e3211443febad11e6c7b53ae285.jpg59bae63840745_CH-17.jpg.2d3c1e6241139cb14a02fc53bb141fa8.jpg

Finished!

59bae638de68c_CH-18.jpg.6760b9e3d6ca925427de0c13a673d1c2.jpg

12 hours ago, A horse, of course said:

Nice work! Where do we send photos of our boats for you to paint, Bull?

To my studio of course! :P I'll PM you.

A very good long term friend of mine (one of my oldest buddies going on 50 years of friendship now) is a highly respected fine artist who is also known for his skill in teaching fine painting. Fine art is his full time profession and has been for decades (he was a professional illustrator before branching into fine art.)

He looked at the pictures of the painting I sent him and said "Hey! That's pretty good!" 

You should feel good about that Bull given his skill level.

1 hour ago, kimbottles said:

A very good long term friend of mine (one of my oldest buddies going on 50 years of friendship now) is a highly respected fine artist who is also known for his skill in teaching fine painting. Fine art is his full time profession and has been for decades (he was a professional illustrator before branching into fine art.)

He looked at the pictures of the painting I sent him and said "Hey! That's pretty good!" 

You should feel good about that Bull given his skill level.

Kim, thank you so much for passing that on. As you work to develop and improve your skill, you sometimes wonder if you're getting anywhere. Hearing that from someone who is a professional (which I am not despite having sold numerous pieces), means a lot.

Sometimes the photo needs help. Here is a B&B in Port Clyde, Maine where Mrs. Bull and I stayed several years ago, and the painting.

IMG_0843.JPG.jpg.9dc942e43b69be2aa8367d883297ac4d.jpg

59bb1999bc860_SummertimeattheSeasideInn.jpg.01b23b34009790e6229b278e61e772d0.jpg

I really like this thread drift. Keep 'em coming Bull.

That blue boat behind me is the one that rolled over at launch.

twins

We need Art and Chuck Paine on this side show. Very hard to find better talented watercolor and oil painters.

5 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

I really like this thread drift. Keep 'em coming Bull.

That blue boat behind me is the one that rolled over at launch.

twins

That shirt is a long way from home!

8 hours ago, Tanton Y_M said:

We need Art and Chuck Paine on this side show. Very hard to find better talented watercolor and oil painters.

Marc P.G. Berthier. is quite good also.

We had this print on the wall over the fireplace when I was a kid.

montague-dawson-a-winning-tack_a-G-64109

Montague Dawson, The Winning Tack

I've often reflected on how much notions of sail trim have changed in a hundred years.

Seems as though sail trim is (or should be) highly optimized for each design and each era since everyone is collecting the relevant data all the time. If boat speed suffers due to poor trim, you lose the race. Lots of real time evolutionary pressure there.

All@sea:

Yes, that's my yacht club. It's the only club I belong to. Kim and I are the PNW chapter.

Semi:

That's the first Montague Dawson painting I have seen of a yacht. I thought he did clippers and square riggers exclusively He's my fav.

6 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

We had this print on the wall over the fireplace when I was a kid.

montague-dawson-a-winning-tack_a-G-64109

Montague Dawson, The Winning Tack

I've often reflected on how much notions of sail trim have changed in a hundred years.

Semi, it looks like they've reefed and still need to de-power.