kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

Came lurking around your bay on the Fourth while circling the island.  Great mix of vessels there.  All your boats look better in person than the photos even let on.  I love the boom wings.  What's your thoughts on FRANCIS doing R2AK?

12 minutes ago, Lanikaisailor said:

Came lurking around your bay on the Fourth while circling the island.  Great mix of vessels there.  All your boats look better in person than the photos even let on.  I love the boom wings.  What's your thoughts on FRANCIS doing R2AK?

The problem with R2AK is they won’t just let me seal the Yanmar, I have to remove it entirely. And then how do we supply human power on a 19,200 pound vessel (18,900+/- ) if the Yanmar was removed),

(She does thunder to weather in a breeze, so she has that part well covered)

I wanted to put the kites and table back aboard FRANCIS this afternoon so I brought her in from her mooring buoys and nuzzled her up to WHITECAP.

Then I started to wonder........we all know that sailboats are female......what if motorboats are male??

I think I will leave them together tonight and hope they spawn a Bob Perry designed motorsailer. (They seem attracted to each other.)

23A7C0BB-4E97-42A2-A11D-99989B4BD6F0.jpeg

96576269-FC43-4A00-BA20-B863F02845D2.jpeg

5B56028A-E0E2-4252-897A-1055DD0114FB.jpeg

0F6C6002-DB1A-4D1B-9CED-4BCC62804A3E.jpeg

1B790E13-6B78-408D-A864-1A522CDF2AD7.jpeg

• Like 2

There has to be a way to mount a peddle drive system that folds down along the stern that could be used from the seating area for 4 or more stations.  Team Ziska was 12 tons...  What is the Hp on the Yanmar?  She does well in the light stuff too doesn't she?  She just looks like she would be a good ride in that race.  Day dreaming from back in Hawaii.

3 minutes ago, Lanikaisailor said:

There has to be a way to mount a peddle drive system that folds down along the stern that could be used from the seating area for 4 or more stations.  Team Ziska was 12 tons...  What is the Hp on the Yanmar?  She does well in the light stuff too doesn't she?  She just looks like she would be a good ride in that race.  Day dreaming from back in Hawaii.

FRANCIS has a Mighty 39 hp 3 cyl diesel.

Back in my bicycle racing days (1960’s) I was tested for hp output as part of the human powered flight program. Even us bicycle racing humans can only produce about one HP for a short period of time. (Professional sprinters can put out maybe two hp for 5 seconds or so.) The massive climbs of the Tour de France are done at slightly more than a half hp.

FRANCIS is not really suitable for human power.

44 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

I wanted to put the kites and table back aboard FRANCIS this afternoon so I brought her in from her mooring buoys and nuzzled her up to WHITECAP.

Then I started to wonder........we all know that sailboats are female......what if motorboats are male??

I think I will leave them together tonight and hope they spawn a Bob Perry designed motorsailer. (They seem attracted to each other.)

5B56028A-E0E2-4252-897A-1055DD0114FB.jpeg

0F6C6002-DB1A-4D1B-9CED-4BCC62804A3E.jpeg

1B790E13-6B78-408D-A864-1A522CDF2AD7.jpeg

One can hope.

A year ago I got a call from Frank Schattauer the sailmaker telling me he had an almost new tri-radial reaching full hoist (plus) asymmetrical kite that he thought would fit FRANCIS. .75 ounce with the cloth doubled on the luff.

Well for various reasons we did not get to try it out until today. (I usually sail very short handed,) today I had three other experienced sailors aboard and we had no trouble handling the monster. SWMBO really liked the ride!

8.1 knots boat speed in 6 knots apparent wind. 150 true 90 apparent. What a ride. Great sail. Cheap too! ATN sock.

We sailed her north in a weak southerly and then waited for the windshift and sailed back home in a weak northerly.

Several times we sailed out of the wind and had to wait for it to catch up.

It does not get much better than that!

CDF52B39-B446-4F15-89BE-B64890ED778F.jpeg

C2BC718C-3DD0-4542-9648-7EC01D34BB3A.jpeg

CC6278F1-071D-42FB-8123-FA7BD10CA282.jpeg

A2FF7EF9-319E-4874-988E-ACA7FADC6608.jpeg

3AED272C-790F-437B-9A62-627E37ABFF83.jpeg

• Like 1

Taken from another boat and texted to us. Too bad it was so far away....

E8F8706B-F166-4CF9-B013-B804B59EC351.jpeg

I like Susan’s hat.

That sail will be very useful in summer in the PNW...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

I like Susan’s hat.

That sail will be very useful in summer in the PNW...

It sure pulls well in light air!

(Susan is wearing a hat from The Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania. Olaf invited us to join him and Sweet Hart as members, so we did. Bob Perry is also a member.)

1 hour ago, kimbottles said:

A year ago I got a call from Frank Schattauer the sailmaker telling me he had an almost new tri-radial reaching full hoist (plus) asymmetrical kite that he thought would fit FRANCIS. .75 ounce with the cloth doubled on the luff.

Well for various reasons we did not get to try it out until today. (I usually sail very short handed,) today I had three other experienced sailors aboard and we had no trouble handling the monster. SWMBO really liked the ride!

8.1 knots boat speed in 6 knots apparent wind. 150 true 90 apparent. What a ride. Great sail. Cheap too! ATN sock.

We sailed her north in a weak southerly and then waited for the windshift and sailed back home in a weak northerly.

Faster than the wind. :)

Sailing under a brightly coloured spinnaker is the best part of sailing.

• Like 2

It sure pulls well in light air!

(Susan is wearing a hat from The Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania. Olaf invited us to join him and Sweet Hart as members, so we did. Bob Perry is also a member.)

Not to mention that both Francis Lee and Fantasy, the first V40, are on the RYCT register.

They almost bookend Bob’s sailboat design career......

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Not to mention that both Francis Lee and Fantasy, the first V40, are on the RYCT register.

They almost bookend Bob’s sailboat design career......

I guess it makes sense that Bob is also a member.

Two of his great boats are RYCT boats.

• Like 1

The bow thruster on FRANCIS’ tender didn’t want to thrust last week. (With twin motors it was not a problem.)

My regular dive crew showed up today to do their usual magic on the three major boats.

Guess they found the problem. Had to demount the props to get at the little buggers.

79AC7C27-D9CD-4774-A743-3C5D630F2D95.jpeg

6D389870-8BA4-4B6B-96B8-F8046FFDD98A.jpeg

3BD93F80-F8FE-4B0A-BF45-84C82B710E20.jpeg

10930429-B503-4098-8768-A36A4658FBF7.jpeg

41F515CF-24AC-49EB-864F-5C57A45A2581.jpeg

Are those the composite blades? Was there antifouling on them? 

I had a client hauled at CSR yesterday and noticed a lot more barnacles then usual.

2 hours ago, See Level said:

Are those the composite blades? Was there antifouling on them? 

I had a client hauled at CSR yesterday and noticed a lot more barnacles then usual.

YES Composite blades, no antifoul. The summers here always bring out the barnacles, BlakelyHarbor is very clean so we always have fouling problems. That’s why I have a regular dive service, but we had skipped them while one or the other boat was at CSR. Guess we won’t do that again. 

• Like 1

Exciting times in Ganges Harbor.

The tug crew seemed to have everything well under control.

Dredging spoils for a new Salts Springs Marina.

1F6CB85E-616D-4195-AB82-579325A15575.jpeg

FB65FD45-3E52-4067-938A-C9CD25187327.jpeg

55021550-767E-49DD-BAFF-78EFB2D44F96.jpeg

B7D92A51-2BD7-4B7F-9192-FEB9A993EE35.jpeg

6E375F79-D47E-4B00-8DEF-6B591940A0BA.jpeg

356C5611-92B2-4506-8F84-E4DC2030495D.jpeg

The Islands Trust actually authorized a new marina on Salt Spring?

Will wonders never cease!

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The Islands Trust actually authorized a new marina on Salt Spring?

Will wonders never cease!

Apparently it is the restoration of the old Salts Spring Marina at the end of the bay. Just past Ship Wreck Rock, which apparently will be removed as part of the project. 

Dredging was going full bore while we were at Ganges Marina right next door.

• Like 1

If you get a chance and we aren't currently covered in bottom paint we'd love to see you again. Day five on the hard in the sun stripping the hull. Argh.

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

If you get a chance and we aren't currently covered in bottom paint we'd love to see you again. Day five on the hard in the sun stripping the hull. Argh.

Check your email.

Nice dinghy Kim! looks better from the rear though (I think). Did you take it on your recent cruise? Good on you for going solar and cruising generator-free. A bunch of us going North right after Festival. Be cool to share an anchorage with you (being generator free and all). All of us will have PT 11's, so we could have a regatta or something.

HELP!

I am trying to find two Harken 53.2 electric self tailing winches with vertical motors.

I currently have one of these mounted centrally in the steering cockpit which we use for halyards (specifically the main halyard.)

I want to convert the two 53.2 ST sheet winches in the aft cockpit to electric so they match, but they must have the vertical motor configuration, no room for horizontal.

Apparently Harken’s conversion kit for the 53.2 is only available with a horizontally mounted motor. (I purchased my vertical one in about 2013, so their must be some still out there.)

Are there a couple vertical electric Harken 53.2 ST winches hiding somewhere? The challenge will be to find them.

This is a pretty big community, hope someone can produce a lead....

F6E53C3C-AC74-4B32-A872-8FCC6D5DBA29.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Are you up for switching to Harken Radial? Fisheries Supply shows a few vertical options there. https://www.fisheriessupply.com/harken-aluminum-hydraulic-radial-self-tailing-winches

The problem with those is they are smaller and do not match the existing bolt holes. So it would require reworking the deck (assuming they would have enough power to handle the sheet loads.)

Also switching to hydraulic would be a pain, I need 12 volt motors.

Kind of a last resort option.

19 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

The problem with those is they are smaller and do not match the existing bolt holes. So it would require reworking the deck (assuming they would have enough power to handle the sheet loads.)

Also switching to hydraulic would be a pain, I need 12 volt motors.

Kind of a last resort option.

Gotcha. I kinda glossed over the hydraulic part.

Have you talked to Harken, maybe they could convert your existing winches...

11 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Have you talked to Harken, maybe they could convert your existing winches...

Yes, I have, they have a conversion kit for my winch but it has a horizontal motor only. No room for that configuration. Must go vertical like my existing electric winch. Kind of strange they don’t offer that kit in vertical given they used to sell that winch in the vertical configuration so they already know how to do it. Must not be enough demand.

Would the existing central winch fit a horizontal motor?

If so, perhaps move that existing vertical to one of the others?

You will only have to find one new vertical motor rather than two.

For those who might have missed it, FL can be seen on page 22 of the August/September 2019 BoatUS magazine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedRyder said:

For those who might have missed it, FL can be seen on page 22 of the August/September 2019 BoatUS magazine.

Really?

Can you scan and post here for those of us who are not BoatUS members?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kimbottles said:

Really?

Can you scan and post here for those of us who are not BoatUS members?

Of course!

IMG_2291.jpg

• Like 1

Will you be going to wood boat this year?  Don't know how that blank post got there, nor how to get rid of it.

1 hour ago, viktor said:

Will you be going to wood boat this year?  Don't know how that blank post got there, nor how to get rid of it.

You can hide it. Look under "Options" at the bottom of the post.

2 hours ago, viktor said:

Conflict in schedule, won’t make it this year.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:47 AM, kimbottles said:

That must have been magical.

The sailboat guy (Chris) at Fisheries Supply found some vertical electric conversion kits at Harken in Italy for me!

Now that is customer service!! He did not give up until he had tried every possibility.

I have worked with Chris in the past, first rate guy.

Bravo!

• Like 2

Sounds like time for a bottle of single malt in a gift bag.

Congrats - that IS good customer service, a rare thing these days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Sounds like time for a bottle of single malt in a gift bag.

Congrats - that IS good customer service, a rare thing these days.

I have always received quality service from Fisheries. But this was above and beyond the call of duty. Harken USA said they were no longer available, Chris didn’t give up, he kept digging and found them at Harken Italy. Now that is great customer service!

• Like 1

Didn’t you source your superseded secondaries from Italy as well Kim?

I have just been researching self tailing winches for the V40, and discovered Enkes still sell self tailing conversion kits for the original primary and secondary winches...

Just have to check they have a thread on the main shaft, only problem is the kits cost as much as new Harkens...

2 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Didn’t you source your superseded secondaries from Italy as well Kim?

Yup! One of them. The other came from Wisconsin.

Good memory there Olaf.

I just renewed my ORC cert. Looks like I will have to update it when I add electric winches.

I donno Kim, that really clutters up the interior!

• Like 1

Is it just me or does the other side of that bulkhead now look like it needs a big flat screen TV to balance the look?

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Is the boat listing to starboard now?

maybe you should mount it below the waterline.....

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Is it just me or does the other side of that bulkhead now look like it needs a big flat screen TV to balance the look?

:ph34r:

We don’t do TV at home, so why would we do it on our getawayfromitall vessel?

What I need is a big picture of my dad Frank there (Francis Lee Bottles).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kimbottles said:

What I need is a big picture of my dad Frank there (Francis Lee Bottles).

That sounds like the most fitting possible addition.

• Like 1

I don’t know about you guys, but I hate drilling holes in my sailboat.

But I need another pad eye to lead to the center electric winch, so I measured a zillion times today and then screwed up my courage.

Holes are oversized and filled with thickened epoxy. Tomorrow I drill out for the fasteners.

The rectangle shows where the backing plate will be on the underside of the cored deck.

This location is right between a vertical bulkhead and the vertical back of the forward cockpit, so very stiff.

That is the max sized backing plate that will fit between the vertical surfaces.

CE223728-7E63-4427-AE9E-E8C199F69CE5.jpeg

• Like 3

I usually measure a dozen times, take a break, measure again just to make sure, chuck up the bit, and stand there looking at it for a few minutes before I actually cut anything. The bigger the hole, or the more of them, the longer it takes me to screw up the courage.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IStream said:

I usually measure a dozen times, take a break, measure again just to make sure, chuck up the bit, and stand there looking at it for a few minutes before I actually cut anything. The bigger the hole, or the more of them, the longer it takes me to screw up the courage.

I share your pain......

• Like 1

I'm right there with you.  I re-did the deck gear on either side of my companionway last year, removing the hodge-podge assortment of 1980s winches and clutches, filling 43 (!) holes with thickened epoxy, fairing/sanding/gelcoating/polishing the area and then laying out a new configuration that works for the way I sail my boat.

By *far* the hardest part of the job was drilling that first hole in the "blank canvas" I'd created.

• Like 1

I drilled a hole in a customers hull for a fridge keel cooler, the other day.  I used "the force" instead of a tape measure. 

Worked just a good for me as it did for Luke.

Steve

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Panope said:

I drilled a hole in a customers hull for a fridge keel cooler, the other day.  I used "the force" instead of a tape measure. 

Worked just a good for me as it did for Luke.

Steve

Fine for you maybe. But the force is not strong with this one...

18 hours ago, kimbottles said:

CE223728-7E63-4427-AE9E-E8C199F69CE5.jpeg

I was fitting out a new racing dinghy a few years back when I got a call from the boat builder,  'The boat's getting painted next week.  If you come down and bang a load of holes in it for the fittings this weekend I can fill them and paint over them when you fuck up.'  You can make fitting holes really fast under those circumstances.  Saved me days.

• Like 3

Took SWMBO and two others out sailing yesterday to try out the new lead of the main halyard to electric winch pad-eye. (The lead was better than the other pad-eye so the hole drilling and epoxy filling was worth it.)

SWMBO seemed more willing to leave the cockpit and participate at other places aboard. I asked her why, she responded: “lifelines”.

She admits it is all psychological as she never touched the lifelines. But she likes knowing that they are there.

Guess it was worth it.

• Like 3

No guessing to be done...if SWMBO is more comfortable, and therefore more "engaged" than it was totally worth it...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crash said:

No guessing to be done...if SWMBO is more comfortable, and therefore more "engaged" than it was totally worth it...

So true, and after 52 years with her I like her to be happy.....

21 hours ago, kimbottles said:

So true, and after 52 years with her I like her to be happy.....

I believe that's how all this works.  :D

• Like 2

I am currently crewing on BV’s beautiful classic Alden schooner MAYAN in the Classic Class of the Rolex Big Boat Regatta at the StFYC in San Francisco Bay.

Kimball Livingston and I decided we the two Kim’s aboard MAYAN should get our picture taken, we did not expect Paul Cayard who is aboard our rival OCEAN QUEEN to photo-bomb us. (He was put up to it by Commodore Paul of StFYC who took the picture.)

The racing in the Classic Class has been epic! Drag races to the finish line between WATER WITCH, OCEAN QUEEN and MAYAN. LFH’s JOANN (now named BRIGADOON) keeps beating us all out on corrected, but we three vessels are have a blast in boat to boat battles.

Jim Teeters of ORA took this great shot of the first day drag race to the finish.

418DAD9C-8080-4CE7-B762-CD0621154478.jpeg

B0D9419A-EEB7-4A98-9E68-155482A036B5.jpeg

9B99BF70-A5A2-4764-9958-67AAD848D88E.jpeg

• Like 4

Today, more photos from Jim Teeters.

That last shot was at our start when the J-105 fleet was rounding right at our line.

Fortunately there was no contact and we did not have to push any J-105’s off our bowsprit.

The last two pictures caught us tacking.

88D5B26E-B748-495A-963A-A255F0ACF520.jpeg

0F2BA28A-514E-49A4-A67D-F0921F19BB05.jpeg

A280C41C-ACB2-4F15-9695-9E41CF9C8B89.jpeg

29B2D6E2-53F1-47D7-8AB7-D89FA145F490.jpeg

• Like 2

Won the last day, first to finish (MAYAN did a horizon job on the other classics) and finally we beat BRIGADOON on corrected. So we were 2 2 2 1 to BRIGADOON ‘s 1 1 1 2.

MAYAN is a magic boat with a great crew and a wonderful owner. One of the best times I have ever had on the water.

(We had Bill Lee aboard calling sail trim for every race and sailing with the WIZARD is indeed a great pleasure. For being such a Sailing Icon he sure is down to earth and fun to be with.)

930D04CD-5B28-4853-A1B6-58F02AC5813E.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool beans! This looks awesome. When are you and BV going to do an Eggemoggin Reach or Newport Classic on Restive?

2 hours ago, kimbottles said:

For the few ham radio operators here I visited Elecraft yesterday and got a demo of the not yet released K-4 from Bob (K6XX). Very impressive rig. Smaller and lighter than I thought it would be.

https://elecraft.com/pages/k4-pre-order

It looks very...complex. But no remote, no front/back fader, no bass or treble controls, apparently no way to control your onboard TV. I think you can do better.

k4-front-white-bg-product_e95bea0d-18ae-

On 9/3/2019 at 8:52 PM, IStream said:

Better to screw up your courage than the boat.

Sharon Green was really busy at the Rolex Big Boat Series....and really brave too. I watched her snap this shot and was wondering it they (she and her boat driver) were going to get out of the way before they collected a 70,000 schooner in their lap. 

(I have driven photo boats for Neil Rabinowitz so I know how brave and demanding sailing photographers can be.)

ED27F8D1-796D-487F-81D4-285BE1ADBDEE.jpeg

B448E7CA-59DD-41AA-91D9-B8FE845D9723.jpeg

• Like 2

That's quite a few sails to trim. It must be frantic on board when you bear away, tack or gybe!

5 hours ago, Panoramix said:

That's quite a few sails to trim. It must be frantic on board when you bear away, tack or gybe!

Easy, everyone aboard was experienced so it was fairly smooth once we all got synced together.

AND we had Bill Lee as our sailing master, the Wizard called trim. Kind of hard to improve on him.

5 hours ago, kimbottles said:

Easy, everyone aboard was experienced so it was fairly smooth once we all got synced together.

AND we had Bill Lee as our sailing master, the Wizard called trim. Kind of hard to improve on him.

Yes, I can imagine that you don't want too many beginners around but it must be really impressive!

9 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Yes, I can imagine that you don't want too many beginners around but it must be really impressive!

Well, It was a hell of a lot of fun, I can report that!!

And because of our ORANGE attire everyone on shore knew we were schooner sailors.

Well, It was a hell of a lot of fun, I can report that!!

And because of our ORANGE attire everyone on shore knew we were schooner sailors.

Or escapees from San Quentin.

• Like 3

On 9/17/2019 at 1:19 PM, woahboy said:
On 9/3/2019 at 9:52 PM, IStream said:

Better to screw up your courage than the boat.

On my first cruising boat, I had a tiny divot in the gel coat on the port side of the deck. I was installing the fill for a new fresh water tank and had second thoughts just as I pulled the trigger on the drill for a pilot hole.  Glad I rechecked. I used the aft lower chain plate as a landmark on deck and the intermediate/upper chain plate below. I would have drilled a hole in salon overhead rather than into a locker had I not stopped. 

Sometimes measuring twice isn’t enough. 

3 hours ago, monsoon said:

Or escapees from San Quentin.

We were sailing very close to SQ!

We were mistaken to be SF Giant fans by some fishermen.....

This cute little Chuck Paine designed boat showed up and anchored next to FRANCIS this afternoon.

Seems appropriate as she is a double ender and Chuck and Bob are friends.

775004B7-635C-459B-ADE5-5EEC6494069A.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/12/2019 at 10:56 AM, kimbottles said:

The problem with R2AK is they won’t just let me seal the Yanmar, I have to remove it entirely. And then how do we supply human power on a 19,200 pound vessel (18,900+/- ) if the Yanmar was removed),

(She does thunder to weather in a breeze, so she has that part well covered)

Bringing human power to bear on such a large vessel would be an interesting challenge. 

2 hours ago, willp14335 said:

Bringing human power to bear on such a large vessel would be an interesting challenge. 

roman_quinquireme.jpg