kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

battery hold down trays came out nicely. This crew really does nice work.

That is one serious toilet you have there, Kim.

battery hold down trays came out nicely. This crew really does nice work.

That is one serious toilet you have there, Kim.

Yeah, but it is a private head for Yanmar's only!

We left some gifts for the crew.....

I got a good start on the ports, now hope to fine someone who knows how to do it right to finish them up. I don't want gloss, just a nice soft flat finish.

Have you tried a toothbrush and tomato sauce (ketchup)?

Coca cola works OK as well.

I guess it's Ok to use ketchup on a sloop.....

I got a good start on the ports, now hope to fine someone who knows how to do it right to finish them up. I don't want gloss, just a nice soft flat finish.

we have pretty much tried everything on the ports, pretty much everything works but with different effort levels.....

we have pretty much tried everything on the ports, pretty much everything works but with different effort levels.....

This is the best metal polisher I have ever used. It used to be carried by West Marine, but now apparently not. Next best is Flitz.

http://miraclecloth.com/

Oooooohhhhhh.........

Although Dante left it out, there is a circle in hell for extremely skilled punnery. Sub circle #3.1416? I assume my father happily resides there.

Perhaps you'll meet! :)/>

Perhaps we'll all meet. :0

Paul

Yawl better ketch up or it'll be sloopy second.... aaah, frigate!

I think I'd introduce those ports to some of the things I use to clean guns.

I think I'd introduce those ports to some of the things I use to clean guns.

Yup, tried that too

This is the best metal polisher I have ever used. It used to be carried by West Marine, but now apparently not. Next best is Flitz.

http://miraclecloth.com/

Yes, both of those, and just about everything else on the market. They all work to various degrees.

Barkeepers Friend?

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

I've used this to get the accumulated crud and tarnish of of my inherited Revereware copped bottom cooking pots and pans. my mom started collecting them before I was born.... and didn't feel the need to make them shine.

A little joy dish soap along with BKF applied with a green scrubby backed sponge. took about ten minutes for each pan to make them bright. It takes about 30 to 45 seconds to keep them that way after using the pan 2-3 times.

• Like 2

The cutter they come the schooner they yawl.

One and all.

....mon

Hope you're on the mend Kim. Get well soon. That burn the "C" cell process is no fun, my father in law had that. Stay covered up kids!

You might look up you local plating and polishing shop, they have the equipment to strip and polish the portlights back to new. Can't imagine it would be all that expensive.

Just got back from a visit to the SLIVER project. We had a crowd there with Boomer and Son of Boomer, Russell Brown, Neil Rabinowitz the yachting photographer, Bruce Hedrick, editor of Northwest Yachting, Kim and about 4 of the build crew.

I didn't take any photos but Boomer did as did Kim, Bruce and Neil. For a while there there were pics being taken continually. Everybody had a fancy camera. I'm sure Boomer and Kim will both post pics.

The boat is coming a,long just fine. The work is still meticulous. The sheer clamp installation is a work of art.

It was a gathering of various PNW boating legends at the Sliver project this morning. We had Bob Perry, Russell Brown, Bruce Hedrick and Neil Rabinowitz for starters. We also had Boomer Depp and his Son William who had traveled all the way from Alaska to visit (well that is the story I told him he should use.)

Hedrick and I sailed together years ago and it was great seeing him after so many years, Neil lives up the hill from me, but given his photo talents it is always good to have him come by for a visit.

Russell and Bob are at the project often, but it is always reassuring to get their input.

Boomer Depp is a good CA friend so it was great to finally get him (and his son) to the project for a look.

post-8115-0-89693300-1353967553_thumb.jpg

yeah, that's what I said too.

012-thumb-300x168-7.jpg

I'll never be able to use my anchor. :rolleyes:

That's a great pic, Kim.

Neil was of course trying to do some work as Bruce Hedrick and I tried to harass him.

Nice thing about Neil is that he seems to take our teasing in stride and usually with a big smile.

post-8115-0-21244500-1353967696_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-99316600-1353967718_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-86394000-1353967740_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-55006300-1353967761_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-60928400-1353967777_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-08504100-1353967794_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-21931100-1353967806_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-47109200-1353967821_thumb.jpg

Bob was his normal charming self.......even when he was posing for Neil.

I think Bob and Russell think the ports are too heavy. They sure have nice shape, I hope they will let me use them.

post-8115-0-90278100-1353968052_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-38874500-1353968065_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-76364300-1353968077_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-82234200-1353968092_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-30193400-1353968103_thumb.jpg

The nice part of our professional crew is they just kept on working with all of this crazy activity going on around them. They did not even flinch when Neil asked them to get out of one of his shots, they just hunkered down and kept right on sanding away on the interior.

Real professionals these lads!

post-8115-0-60236700-1353968402_thumb.jpg

For the record, I was not smoking my pipe in the shop. Neil wanted me to "pretend" I was smoking it for the photos and you don't argue with Neil when he is setting up a shot.

And yes, Kim's ports are heeeaaavvvyyyy.

I'd like to thank Kim for being such a gracious host and for taking time from his busy morning, to view and explain a lot of details of the project. I'd also like to thank Bruce Blatchley and Kim for taking time to explain more about the recent history of the school, and the direction the school has taken. It was also interesting meeting and talking with the other legends that were in attendance. I'm in awe of the work and attention to detail, by all those involved in this project and the orchestration by Kim as project manager of this build. Bob was right in saying, this would be a such a good place for Kim, to be an integral part of, as well as manage the build..... especially in a project of this scope and size.

Bruce Hedrick and Kim

019b.jpg

So Boomer, did you get to talk shop with Neil?

We were a bit late getting there. I got to meet Neil and I did compliment him on his work. I did note he was eyeing my cameras, and I was eyeing his....he was getting ready to start shooting, so I left him to his work.

Kim and Bruce also related to me, that Neil can be an exacting taskmaster when he's working....to put it in polite terms....they both talked about his exacting nature and a few previous shoots....quite entertaining stories to say the least...At the same time I can understand where Neil is coming from....I've been known to make the days long as well when shooting....you know the more shots the better, and much more to work with later....more then anything, I make a point of being considerate of others needs when shooting....and people are much easier to work with if they are given breaks and are chipper and happy.

Kim took time to explain a lot of details in depth, as well as project management and how building in a school atmosphere affects the project. Actually I'd have to sit down and write an in depth post to cover everything Kim covered.

Also had a few lengthy conversations with Bruce Hedrick on various topics, with Kim weighing in.

After everyone left, Bruce Blatchley also took time to go more in depth on the school and the direction of the school, basically continuing more on a conversation that Kim was involved in earlier. I didn't want to take anymore of their time, and we had a few other stops my son and I wanted to make on the peninsula...as it was we didn't get home till late. That's why I never posted yesterday. Got up early this morning to download and edit the pics.

I would like to go back up when Kim's there, especially when they flip the deck section and hopefully when they place it one the hull. Perhaps on these future visits I'll get a chance to talk more with others.

Thanks Boomer, nice pictures!!

Thank You!

A few more of you and Bruce,below.

Kim, I'd also like to say, thanks again for your gracious hospitality.

I was expecting more to stay out of the way, since you were all so busy...you were very kind, and I thank you for that!

BTW...clicking on any of the images will present a larger image.

031a.jpg

033a.jpg

035a.jpg

036.jpg

Boomer has much better cameras than I. Maybe I should take him every Monday and have him shoot the project.

You meet the nicest people on CA.

Hey Boomer, are you doing any post-processing on these shots? The color range, saturation and exposure is pretty nice Damn Good!

Bob said so. It must be true.

Boomer has much better cameras than I. Maybe I should take him every Monday and have him shoot the project.

Yes, no offense, Kim, but his pictures are way better than any we have seen before. Whether it's perspective, equipment, or just the fact that there is more of a boat to photograph at this point, I'd say he's hired! ;)

For the record, I was not smoking my pipe in the shop.

Yeah, right, sure. Whatever. Standing there looking like Ahab.... Sheezus, what a poseur (or should I say wanker?).... :)

(but the photos ARE nice)

Yes, no offense, Kim, but his pictures are way better than any we have seen before. Whether it's perspective, equipment, or just the fact that there is more of a boat to photograph at this point, I'd say he's hired! ;)

You ought to see his camera!!

I have this 15 year old $200 thing and Boomer shows up with a $10,000 item that Neil was coveting!! And his son had one just about as good (maybe they were both Boomers!?)

And on top of that he actually knows how to use all of those funny little adjustments and knobs on the side.

We all have our strengths, photography is NOT mine. (But I have friends who are pretty good at it!)

You mean those buttons on the side of the camera actually DO SOMETHING???

Who knew???

BV

Yeah, Neil was impressed with Boomer's camera. But I saw the first of Neil's photos this afternoon and he manages just fine with what he has.

I hope we can get Boomer to make more visits to the shop and do some more photos. No offense intended Kim.

Yeah, Neil was impressed with Boomer's camera. But I saw the first of Neil's photos this afternoon and he manages just fine with what he has.

I hope we can get Boomer to make more visits to the shop and do some more photos. No offense intended Kim.

Yeah Neil sent me a very nice picture of Bob, he really knows how to take pictures, no question about that.

I'd be happy to come up for more photo documenting.

If you wish for a more professional look to the images with even more detail then the images above, that's entirely within my scope as well.

Hey Boomer, are you doing any post-processing on these shots?

Those were were mostly hastily processed yesterday morning. I did some post processing, but not as much as I normally would.

Normally I'd use faster lenses or shoot at a higher ISO, or both to get higher shutter speeds and more detail.

I didn't use a higher ISO because I didn't want to take time to do noise any removal in PP.

It was more taking some quick pics, just to see what I'd need to do, if given another opportunity to shoot there.

Most those pics were taken without a hood, because the hood for the full frame bodies was in one of my other vehicles.

The hood which I had with that lens I put aside, because it was for a crop sensor body. Using the proper hood, will usually result in a little better contrast.

In hindsight if I had known Neil was going to be there, my approach would have been much different, and left my cameras in my vehicle till after he left.

When I got introduced to him and saw his faster lens, my first thought was, uh-oh, here I am with a slower lens, and phuck, should have left these cameras outside

I certainly wasn't there to compete with Neil, so for the most part tried to stay far away from where he was shooting, except for those last shots.

Hey Boomer, are you doing any post-processing on these shots?

Those were were mostly hastily processed yesterday morning. I did some post processing, but not as much as I normally would.

Normally I'd use faster lenses or shoot at a higher ISO, or both to get higher shutter speeds and more detail.

I didn't use a higher ISO because I didn't want to take time to do noise any removal.

It was more taking some quick pics, just to see what I'd need, if given another opportunity to shoot there.

Most those pics were taken without a hood, because the hood for the full frame body was in one of my other vehicles.

The hood with I had with that lens I put aside, because it was for a crop sensor hood. Using the proper hood, will usually result in a little better contrast.

In hindsight if I had known Neil was going to be there, my approach would have been much different, and left my cameras in my vehicles till after he left.

Actually when I got introduced to him and saw at his faster lens, my first thought was "uh-oh, here I am with a slower lens", and "phuck! I should have left these cameras outside"

I certainly wasn't there to compete with Neil, so for the most part tried to stay far away from where he was shooting, except for those last shots.

Boomer, I had to chuckle at that. Sort of like bringing a knife to a gun fight? Your photography is wonderful, it takes more that just mere equipment to do what you do and Neil would recognize that. Hope you continue shooting the Sliver project.

I do remember Neil sitting in a photoboat just around the weathermark as we came around and popped our chute on a 40 trimaran and he was snapping away furiously with his motordrive and tele. As we accelerated directly towards them he shouts at the driver to gun it it and get out of the way and the idleing two stroke loads up and stutters and almost stalls. We were struggling to do the bearaway and barely ducked them and I was impressed that Neil never took the camera away from his face and kept shooting as we barely missed them. Got some great shots and I think even he was proud of himself.

Boomer:

I think Neil was fine with you taking photos. I do not think he felt threatened. He made some comment about "hobbyists and retired guys" always having the best gear. But he was smiling when he said it.

But Neil is the real deal and a stickler for details and the arrangement of the shot. Note how he told me exactly where to stand. I don't feel I can post Neil's photo here. He is possesive about his work. But I'll PM you and see that you can see it.

Rasp-

I had the proper bodies, but wasn't set up properly for my lens and the batteries in my speedlight were almost dead, though I did have spares outside.

So I did feel like, "bringing a knife to a gunfight"

Bob-

I felt Bruce had him there for a reason, and didn't want impose on anyone when shooting., especially the prime photographer for this shoot.

BTW...Would appreciate seeing that shot.

Right. I suspect Bruce had Neil there for a cover for Northwest Yachting. I didn't ask but that would make sense as Neil does all their covers.

I wish I had known ahead of time. I may have put on a clean shirt. Maybe.

Funny, I had no idea it would turn into a photo shoot, I wasn't even sure Neil was coming.

I do not post photos Neil gives me, they are his property and his living so I appreciate them as a personal thing between us.

I feel the same way about Boomer's photos, but he is free to post whatever he chooses, I am just glad to have him as a friend. Nice talented guy.

You mean those buttons on the side of the camera actually DO SOMETHING???

Who knew???

BV

Not I!!

Very nice shots Boomer. My first two years of college were in photography and film making but then dropped that after watching my cousin suffer trying to make a living at it. I figured it was better to keep it as a hobby so I would continue to enjoy it. I am not up to speed on a lot of the post processing procedures but need to learn them. By the way what glass were you using?

It would be fun to compare notes some time.

Very nice shots Boomer. My first two years of college were in photography and film making but then dropped that after watching my cousin suffer trying to make a living at it. I figured it was better to keep it as a hobby so I would continue to enjoy it. I am not up to speed on a lot of the post processing procedures but need to learn them. By the way what glass were you using?

It would be fun to compare notes some time.

I followed the pro route for a while, working in labs, shooting on location, doing some studio work. It's a real challenge to make a living at it. If you are going at it as a pro, the cost of the gear to stay competitive can reach what seems astronomical proportions. I did get a regular series of checks over the years but the grind and the irregular pay just wasn't for me.

I still have some skill but, to be honest, I've fallen behind a bit over the years.

So, it's a hobby for me now. My gear is really basic mid-level hobbyist. I sometimes really nail a shot, and sometimes get credit or a small gig, but it's a hobby now.

I have the utmost respect for a lot of the photographers out there who are still plugging away, going at it, getting the great shots, and hopefully getting paid for their art.

I followed the pro route for a while, working in labs, shooting on location, doing some studio work. It's a real challenge to make a living at it. If you are going at it as a pro, the cost of the gear to stay competitive can reach what seems astronomical proportions. I did get a regular series of checks over the years but the grind and the irregular pay just wasn't for me.

I use a pro photographer for my business, he specializes in product photography. $10,000 cameras and equivalent lenses. Fancy lighting, computer monitors deluxe, etc. One of the recent twists on how much this stuff costs is that now that so much is computerized the cost drops dramatically, meaning he has to amortize it even faster, except for the lenses. Some fresh graduate who wants to enter the business can go out and pay $3,000 for a camera body that cost my guy $10,000 two years ago.

The photography that amazes me right now is the sports stuff, including sailing, with every drop showing perfectly. Digital really has moved some photography forward.

I never understood how much effort went into high end photography until I became friends with Neil. We all tease him because he is so intense when he is shooting, but the results are hard to argue with. He is a complete pro when it come to photos. And he works very hard at it.

Boomer - your photos are great.

That said, Kim, your photos bring something entirely different than the photos posted in the last two days. I like your photos because they create a very detailed dialogue of your build. They show the important details, as seen by you. They have been consistent and ongoing in their own style and content. Your pictures are meant to be paired with your written descriptions and the combination has be delightfully entertaining and amazingly educational. You understand the build of the boat on so many different levels that you are able to convey to us the important and easily overlooked aspects of the build - the true magic. Thanks.

My niece's SO is a pro photographer out of NY. Mostly fashion stuff but othermore "artstic stuff"as well. His "happy snaps from a sighseeing trip to DC are framed and on the wall. No pic I've taken comes close.

Boomer - your photos are great.

That said, Kim, your photos bring something entirely different than the photos posted in the last two days. I like your photos because they create a very detailed dialogue of your build. They show the important details, as seen by you. They have been consistent and ongoing in their own style and content. Your pictures are meant to be paired with your written descriptions and the combination has be delightfully entertaining and amazingly educational. You understand the build of the boat on so many different levels that you are able to convey to us the important and easily overlooked aspects of the build - the true magic. Thanks.

I agree completely....Kim composes and frames his shots well, for what he's trying to convey...Just for a bit more detail, I'll hand him a professional camera with sharp lens for detail, with a speed light mounted on it....and set it up so all he has to do, is frame the subject and shoot. Probably should just lend him a 1D series body and a few lenses till the project is done...plus it'll give him a chance to become familiar with the camera, if he just borrows one for a while. Also lend him the photo editing download disc, so he has some photo editing sofware on his computer, and walk him through the photo editing and show him how to batch process RAW images if he's pressed for time.

• Like 1

hey, how do I get one of those posters?

freakin' awesome shots you guys!

You are mentioned on the poster Rick.

I think they made just one for the dedication of the building back in 2011.

Maybe when the boat leaves the shop I will steal the poster for you Rick.

post-8115-0-28004300-1354146018_thumb.jpg

All that camera speak techno shit may be all well and fine but isn't there a button on the side that will make me look young and happy?

I'll be ready the next time.

Shark:L

That's what I use but I didn't even take it out of the car yesterday. They would have ridiculed me.

No one is going to ridicule my yacht designer if I am around. Not after the job he has done on my boat.

All that camera speak techno shit may be all well and fine but isn't there a button on the side that will make me look young and happy?

Just ask for the Nikon fog #2. That will take care of the wrinkles and shit. I don't know of a happy filter, unless it's that little piece of cardboard you roll into the mouth end of a reefer.

I just stick with the Phd - type cameras ( Press Here, Dummy )

First camera related post I have understood.

Mine is a PHDTDIITBIYW type. (Press here, Dummy, then drop it in the bilge if you want)

It's built to survive the way I treat a camera.

IMG_0107.JPG

Sorry for the lousy exposure.

I think Kerry caught happy.

Let's hang out some more and I'll work on "young". :)

IMG_0107.JPG

Sorry for the lousy exposure.

I think Kerry caught happy.

Let's hang out some more and I'll work on "young". :)

That is such a good picture of Bob I saved it.

it feels like something's missing in here... :ph34r:

Snow?

I saw Midland last night on the weather channel. Brrr.

I have been home trying to recover from the pneumonia so I missed this delicate operation, however I have heard the deck/cabin/cockpit was separated from the mold today and it was reported it looks good.

Guess that Teflon release tape was a good idea.

post-8115-0-28294200-1354250250_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-23240900-1354250282_thumb.jpg

Kim is going to attempt to go to work today, at least for a couple hours.

Boomer can take some pictures Monday.

Glad you're feeling better, Kim. Do not misoverestimate how much better and overdo it.

+100 on this. I have a friend who misoverestimated how good she felt after pneumonia and the relapse was TOUGH! Take care!!

Glad you're feeling better, Kim. Do not misoverestimate how much better and overdo it.

+100 on this. I have a friend who misoverestimated how good she felt after pneumonia and the relapse was TOUGH! Take care!!

I am going to finish up a few things and then go home.......

Kim, now that you are convalescing from pnuemonia, if you haven't already considered it, mayBe a nice heater for the boat formerly known as Sliver?

With your cabin design, a nice burning fireplace and it's resultant smokestack would look rather jaunty. Kind of a New England catboat in a snug harbor on a cold autumn afternoon look....

Only half kidding. Recover! Glenrothes select reserve has a spicy afterglow that would be just the ticket.

Paul

Been there, done that, and I was a high school kid on the swim team at the time.

Paul. Adele's playing the viola and we bought a piano and she's way into music. So cool.

Kim, now that you are convalescing from pnuemonia, if you haven't already considered it, mayBe a nice heater for the boat formerly known as Sliver?

With your cabin design, a nice burning fireplace and it's resultant smokestack would look rather jaunty. Kind of a New England catboat in a snug harbor on a cold autumn afternoon look....

Only half kidding. Recover! Glenrothes select reserve has a spicy afterglow that would be just the ticket.

Paul

We do have a Wallas Furnace for her.