kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

Armstrong Marine in Port Angeles who built my aluminum power Cat also did very nice welds. They had a couple of welders who were outstanding including one who was a gal. I haven't visited them in a couple years so I don't know if the welders who did my boat are still there, but Josh seemed to demand quality welds from his people.

Jim and I were discussing the welding of the keel fin the other day, I keep learning more and more interesting stuff from this build. It looks like I will have the fin fabricated here in Seattle so I will get a chance to visit while it happens and maybe learn even more.

Bob thinks all of this information I am learning during this project will come in handy as I maintain the "Francis Lee". I bet he is right.

Well, I will say by the time you take the Sliver for its first sail you will have been fairly intimate with every aspect of the build and most boat owners cannot say that.

I doubt that you will have any of those moments where you standing looking at something on the boat and say to yourself "What did they do there?"

Thanks for the update. Did the deck get attached yet <- been waiting on tenterhooks for that one.

Thanks for the blog writeup Bob, I'd thank you in the other thread but that one appears to be handbags at dawn now.

After seeing pics of the mast step etc not being installed you have to guess no. Also the link to the facebook page shows it still suspended above the hull.

1495_503995756290175_337392863_n.jpg

Does Kim spend a lot of time under the Deck of Damocles?

Thanks for the update. Did the deck get attached yet <- been waiting on tenterhooks for that one.

Thanks for the blog writeup Bob, I'd thank you in the other thread but that one appears to be handbags at dawn now.

After seeing pics of the mast step etc not being installed you have to guess no. Also the link to the facebook page shows it still suspended above the hull.

Yeah, actually I do, I take my shoes off (to please Bruce) and climb in almost every Monday. Better to see the small little details. Bruce is VERY vested in this project and wants everything done exactly right. All of the crew are quality orientated, but Bruce is the heart and sole of the quality movement. He is really putting his self into the vessel. (I guess I will have to take him sailing when she hits the water.)

Some of the Harken Hardware showed up yesterday. Not ready to do deck hardware yet, but good to have it stock piled. The C-Head also showed up this week. Guess we know what the new students are going to be installing next week.

I like the welds on those keel girder structure thingies. I'm jealous, need to learn how to do that crap :o My welds look like metalic snot strewn all over the place.

I consider myself a connoisseur of welds. I have seen/done a lot of them on the farm and when I managed a bicycle shop. I became a weld critic because custom ChroMoly bike frames were the cats ass at the time (monocoque carbon came in just as I was graduating college and leaving the cylce biz).

Waterford did some really nice frame welds. KimB's welds are clean and even like that too. Very cool to see.

A messy weld can work just fine but my brain always wonders where it burned through and where it didn't get hot enough, and whether the welder actually cared.

edit: I love to weld but Memo and I seem to share the same welding talent.

Not sure I can call the sticking together of two pieces of metal I do can be called welding. I have great respect for really good welders.

Well, I will say by the time you take the Sliver for its first sail you will have been fairly intimate with every aspect of the build and most boat owners cannot say that.

I doubt that you will have any of those moments where you standing looking at something on the boat and say to yourself "What did they do there?"

More likely I will say: "Damn, why didn't I listen to Bob on that one......"

Thanks for coming back and continuing to share your build with us Kim. I’ve been looking forward to the regular weekly updates for a long time now and they have been missed.

Armstrong Marine in Port Angeles who built my aluminum power Cat also did very nice welds. They had a couple of welders who were outstanding including one who was a gal. I haven't visited them in a couple years so I don't know if the welders who did my boat are still there, but Josh seemed to demand quality welds from his people.

Aluminum is a total PITA to weld or bend. You get one try. I usually need more than that. I have a love/hate relationship with aluminum.

I love it but it hates me.

Kim, if you are still looking for some Harken hardware, there is a Harken 32self tailing winch on the Seattle Craigslist, brand new.

Kim, if you are still looking for some Harken hardware, there is a Harken 32self tailing winch on the Seattle Craigslist, brand new.

Yeah, I saw that, I am still trying to figure out if I can use it.

Yeah, actually I do, I take my shoes off (to please Bruce) and climb in almost every Monday. Better to see the small little details. Bruce is VERY vested in this project and wants everything done exactly right. All of the crew are quality orientated, but Bruce is the heart and sole of the quality movement. He is really putting his self into the vessel. (I guess I will have to take him sailing when she hits the water.)

There will be post partum. You must be prepared....

Oh yes.

There's a reason lots and lots of alcohol is imbibed at a launching. But you are now part of an extended family. And it's quite wonderful.

Boatbuilding. :wub:

Is it wrong?

If its wrong I don't wanna be right.......ever!

I can't drink at launchings. I have to be ready to drive away real fast.

You slay me, Bob.

New student Tara measuring for the installation of the new C-Head composting toilet.

The seat's going to be facing up when it's installed. Right?

New student Tara measuring for the installation of the new C-Head composting toilet.

The seat's going to be facing up when it's installed. Right?

I don't know, let me check the manual......

Primer added to more sections of the hull....

post-8115-0-35846200-1358358408_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-61432200-1358358481_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-29507400-1358358504_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-92344900-1358358527_thumb.jpg

I don't know, let me check the manual......

Primer added to more sections of the hull....

You're already got a nice toilet installed and primed and you're putting in another? ;)

Fantastic to see your pics posted here again, Kim for many to enjoy

The image of the deck hovering above the hull waiting to be gently dropped down, is wonderful. The deck and hull waiting to be married to each other, so to speak. A marriage that once launched, will translate into in a sleek, stealth and exquisite experience. Such a sexy boat.

The traditional large craft class is now building a Bartender in the space that used to contain the deck mold........and my crew had to move their break area up to the loft to avoid conflict.

The paddle/surf board in the break room was constructed with off cuts from our hull's western red cedar.

post-8115-0-60946800-1358392290_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-22495400-1358392303_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-56038400-1358392313_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-47036800-1358392329_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-95191400-1358392352_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-99701900-1358392367_thumb.jpg

The Scott Chambers half models arrived, (I need to get the twin up to Bob's place soon.)

Scott has been doing these models for 40 years now and produces museum quality masterpieces.

(The pictures are only fair because of the low light in our great-room tonight. Maybe they will be better when I take some in the daylight.)

I moved Gate's model into my office and am now waiting to see how long it is until SWMBO (who did not know about these new ones) to notice.

post-8115-0-00119200-1358392877_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-39912200-1358392884_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-72501500-1358392943_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-40585200-1358392953_thumb.jpg

The crew hard at work......note that they take off their shoes before the climb into the hull. No exceptions, I am not allowed in the hull with shoes on, even if they are boat shoes. I like the care Bruce is giving this project.

post-8115-0-62550000-1358393491_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-30608700-1358393503_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-19802300-1358393516_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-45902100-1358393531_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-34696700-1358393545_thumb.jpg

She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Susan loves that nickname and it fits. 45 years of happiness because I do......

I can't drink at launchings. I have to be ready to drive away real fast.

Good thinking Bob but you could employ a get away man.

The image of the deck hovering above the hull waiting to be gently dropped down, is wonderful. The deck and hull waiting to be married to each other, so to speak. A marriage that once launched, will translate into in a sleek, stealth and exquisite experience. Such a sexy boat.

And hopefully "no man will put asunder"

Well that makes perfect sense, Now I'm wondering why I hadn’t figured it out. More elegant than "the boss".

Gotta love Kiwi's, sorry Dutchy I really am but you put it out there to hit. :rolleyes:

That sounds so much nicer than "thrusting upward, the long powerful arc met the warm comfort as the pounding rhythm mated the two forever" or some such.

As a late starter on the thread and a reticent East coast lurker for several months, I've been reluctant to post here. Given that most of the regular commentators are West coast folk (with notable exceptions, of course), it has seemed a bit "family" and I've had no contributions deserving of attention on this thread and no business intruding. Lurking has been very educational and helpful. With the recent disruptions, the thread has changed and I do have a comment.

Mr. Bottles: Thanks for your return to the thread.

Yours is a unique, groundbreaking journal for so many of us who vicariously share in your project and who ourselves think and search the internet and our personal libraries for contributions we can suggest for your creation. We all feel a kinship with you and with Bob and the crew as the boat rises and we have all grown with the project, grown in knowledge about design, about building, about engineering but most uniquely about the role of an owner in a custom build.

Those who participate in the thread who go on to commission a design and build of a custom boat to follow their dream will benefit very directly from the example you have so generously and freely shared. Those who cannot do a custom boat will benefit in other ways - in shaping their approach to solving the problems on their boats or in designing and implementing projects on their boats.

You have set a high standard for us. You've been aided and abetted by Uncle Bruce and all those guys working on the floor - and even the students, with their enthusiastic efforts. As they learn, we learn. And the more recent Catari thread has a winning template to guide it's progress.

The internet is a messy place. While this thread has included a good measure of pulling of beards and tweaking of noses, the vast majority has been in good humor among posters who know each other well, at least in their on-line lives and in so many cases, in analog life as well. Trolls have been few on CA and on this thread in particular. Here we've recently seen trollery at its ugliest and while most of it has now been deleted from the site, it's no wonder that you have felt abused. It's no wonder you've taken a break from the thread. And it is an affirmation of the worth of the Sliver thread for all of us that you have not let the troll win. He is now gone and you are here and we are all the better for your return.

Thanks.

Jax:

Kim is standing next to me right now. He appreciates your post.

You are very correct. Kim's role in this custom build has been unique and very time consuming.

BTW Kim does not feel the least abused by the trolls. He just doesn't have time for them.

Kim has to go back to work now so he can pay for the boat.

Get out of here Kim!

Jax:

You are very correct. Kim's role in this custom build has been unique and very time consuming.

BTW Kim does not feel the least abused by the trolls. He just doesn't have time for them.

Get out of here Kim!

Glad to hear it.

Role reversal? No splash, no cash? It looks like a while, yet, Bob.

Back to lurking.

I know that many of you felt left out of the faces said to be found in Bob's office bathroom floor, so as public service I decided to share the entire floor so everyone could enjoy and find faces..........

post-8115-0-78252300-1358464941_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-74287100-1358464952_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-84694700-1358464959_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-88026000-1358464968_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-10060600-1358464976_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-05505000-1358464987_thumb.jpg

I know that many of you felt left out of the faces said to be found in Bob's office bathroom floor, so as public service I decided to share the entire floor so everyone could enjoy and find faces..........

I see Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet!

Jax:

Get out of here Kim!

Another well trained owner.

I've got the rotohammer with the chisel tip ready to go!

MLK holiday today at the School but fortunately I have a shop key so I visited anyway. (Both Jordan (Great Dane 28) and Bruce stopped by too.)

Composter mounting details...(yes, I know there is no such word as "composter" so I made one up.)

post-8115-0-76425500-1358810891_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-77638500-1358810899_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-97060300-1358810908_thumb.jpg

The crew has been busy painting the bilge areas. Unfortunately they are doing such a nice job now I will be obligated to clean the bilge at least once a month.

post-8115-0-59677000-1358811131_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-75625900-1358811140_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-18308800-1358811148_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-38221000-1358811156_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-25833500-1358811164_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-11768100-1358811179_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-49548400-1358811187_thumb.jpg

I just gotta say that this really strikes me as a great opportunity for you. There have been times where I've had to reverse engineer where things go, where hoses are routed, where wiring runs, as I explore Brigadoon. Sometimes, it's been a trifle challenging and frustrating. Oh, I still love Brigadoon but sometimes I could really use a pair of x-ray specs.

You? When it comes to Sliver you will just *know*.

That's amazing.

We have stuff stashed all over the shop waiting to be installed. I am trying to get everything in the shop before the crew needs it so I will not be responsible for any delays.

Berth and settee flats in the lunch room. Blasted keel floors.

post-8115-0-38053400-1358811332_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-26890000-1358811395_thumb.jpg

I just gotta say that this really strikes me as a great opportunity for you. There have been times where I've had to reverse engineer where things go, where hoses are routed, where wiring runs, as I explore Brigadoon. Sometimes, it's been a trifle challenging and frustrating. Oh, I still love Brigadoon but sometimes I could really use a pair of x-ray specs.

You? When it comes to Sliver you will just *know*.

That's amazing.

Bruce and I decided on the various routes/locations for wires, hoses, scuppers and thru hull valves today. Also figured out the exhaust hose routes and exhaust outlet locations. For a holiday we actually got a lot done.

With the deck hanging overhead and new boat being built in the side space......what's the process for getting the keel floors into the hull?

We also have a bunch of stuff stashed under the hull waiting to see if it can be used. I am going to have a van load of stuff when we are done with this vessel.

post-8115-0-20670500-1358811879_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-82651500-1358811888_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-31180700-1358811900_thumb.jpg

I have to first say, Good Work!!

Second, have you looked at mass-production.

1,000, Million dollars boats.

Current shop views. I have taken shots from this spot throughout the project, someday I will have to go back and string them together.

Also electrical panel cut-out.

post-8115-0-08241100-1358812221_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-53546100-1358812229_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-59420300-1358812238_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-87782300-1358812289_thumb.jpg

With the deck hanging overhead and new boat being built in the side space......what's the process for getting the keel floors into the hull?

Well several of us carried them from my van to where they current reside, so I guess we will pick them up, walk up the stairs to the walkway around the hull and hand them to another crew member in the hull. Individually they can be carried by one person, (well the mast step is really a two person job.) They weigh 433 pound total, so broken up into nine pieces they can be readily handled. The mast step sub base weighs 125 pounds.

The big question is hoisting the Yanmar into the hull. We have a plan for that. Hopefully it will work.

post-8115-0-92890600-1358812756_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-91993800-1358812776_thumb.jpg

Might be hard to find buyers. I mean how many people are there who wants a 62 foot daysailor anyway? (I think I am a bit outside of the mainstream.)

Might be hard to find buyers. I mean how many people are there who wants a 62 foot daysailor anyway? (I think I am a bit outside of the mainstream.)

You may be surprised: Any new issue of GQ or Esquire will tell you that men are willing to spend over ten G's on a pair of pant's.

I now see that a 1 million dollar "toy" is no big deal to U.

You're wealth is 1 in a million. Even if this design could be made for $600,000, out of carbon fiber and advanced composites;no one but you could possibly afford it.

"no one but you could possibly afford it."

Do you live in a cave? Have you not seen the custom boats that are being built today?

"no one but you could possibly afford it."

Do you live in a cave? Have you not seen the custom boats that are being built today?

I have seen the dozens or maybe even hundreds of great new custom boats built today.

None however have came close to the bottom sales line of Regal or Carver,

The Maltese Falcon is a pretty impressive yacht; I would be more impressed with any boat that could compete commercially.

Well, that is exactly the point. And you have missed it. We only intend to build one SLIVER. That's why they call it a "custom boat".

Well, that is exactly the point. And you have missed it. We only intend to build one SLIVER. That's why they call it a "custom boat".

Well you have missed my aggravation! You, and the skilled advisers present, should not be allowed to build but a single boat. You should be forced to use your knowledge, eye and opinion to drive sailing into the 21st century.

If you could bring great minds together for at least one mass-production boat; that would be a legacy to last through the next century.

We also have a bunch of stuff stashed under the hull waiting to see if it can be used. I am going to have a van load of stuff when we are done with this vessel.

Thanks again for the updates Kim, an awesome project and much appreciated.

Offcuts always make for interesting projects :D

... [snip] ... Blasted keel floors.

Hey, watch your language!

Well you have missed my aggravation! You, and the skilled advisers present, should not be allowed to build but a single boat. You should be forced to use your knowledge, eye and opinion to drive sailing into the 21st century.

If you could bring great minds together for at least one mass-production boat; that would be a legacy to last through the next century.

Um, been there, done that. See FT 10, FT 7.

Somebody post a link to the old threads for this Fascist ass hole.

Be allowed?

What a tool.

I can think of more than a few who WANT one......

The problem lies in the generally inverse relationship between exquisite taste and adequate funds. You may be the exception that proves the rule? However, given enough time, and 3d printer development, 62 foot slips will have loooooong waiting lists.

Oh noooooo!!!!

Not the rabbit with the pancakes on his head,,, Anything but that. There is not turning back now.

It's Amati's fault. He's the one who brought up exquisite taste.

bunny_pancake1.jpg?w=500

Wait a minute!

2 cakes? That's just wrong.

Damn your eyes Paul!

I think this calls for two cakes.

Verily I say unto you,,,,two cakes.

( I've been listening to the Bernstein Mathew Passion for almost a week so I am saying a lot of things "verily".)

Jax:

Now, now. He's not a Fascist.

I really don't have a clue what he's going on about. Don't think he does either.

No Bob, I'm thinking Marxist.

You, and the skilled advisers present, should not be allowed to build but a single boat. You should be forced to use your knowledge, eye and opinion to drive sailing into the 21st century.

Kim,

The boat is looking really wonderful! Tanks fur da postin'.

BV

Well several of us carried them from my van to where they current reside, so I guess we will pick them up, walk up the stairs to the walkway around the hull and hand them to another crew member in the hull. Individually they can be carried by one person, (well the mast step is really a two person job.) They weigh 433 pound total, so broken up into nine pieces they can be readily handled. The mast step sub base weighs 125 pounds.

The big question is hoisting the Yanmar into the hull. We have a plan for that. Hopefully it will work.

Are the keel bits going to painted prior to install?

The love for the welds is nothing, the cutting of the steel is cool