kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

I do believe I've seen that stern before. Just can't place it.

Presumably you're referring to one of yours?

If not, it reminds me of Fisher motor sailers.

Not much to take pictures of right now......more fin fairing by GreatDane28 and various other details.....

post-8115-0-25301100-1376493788_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-26515300-1376493793_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-31607700-1376493798_thumb.jpg

We had an interesting situation with the jib tracks, Tim and various other guys at CSR were wondering if Bob's placement was too far aft, Bob said it was right, heads were scratched, leads were mocked up, discussion ensured.....the solution?

Buy a longer jib track so it would extend forward from Bob's position to where others thought we might need it. Sometime simple solutions are best, now it does not matter who is right, we can accommodate a jib lead in any of the positions discussed.

BTW, it does not look that great straight, so we are going to put a slight bend it in so it follows the toe rail.....

post-8115-0-36470700-1376494083_thumb.jpg

Installing the diesel fill.......GreatDane28 found a flush vent we will use, looks very nice. It will be right next to the fill so I can hear when the tank gets towards the top. The fill is inside the cockpit so I can avoid putting fuel into the Sound. I am kind of picky about not spilling fuel into saltwater.

Ed:

I was just being a smart ass. You are right. It's more like a Fischer stern than it is one of mine.

Bob a smart ass???

post-8115-0-35133600-1376494332_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of a longer jib track. But if the sailmaker had worked with my original track we should have been just fine. He seemed to think so when we met at the boat.

I really like the idea of the circle hand holds Bob designed in the short bulkhead between the galley and salon, but the 8" circles encroach into the tabbing which is not OK per Tim Nolan the engineer, so GreatDane28 and I have been trying out various sizes to see what we can get to fit......looks like 6 inch circles might work.......we take our time on these details because we want to get it right......people keep asking when she will be launched, well when we are finished she will be launched, not going to rush anything at this stage...............

post-8115-0-59327800-1376494545_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-18477500-1376494557_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-88935400-1376494562_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of a longer jib track. But if the sailmaker had worked with my original track we should have been just fine. He seemed to think so when we met at the boat.

The longer track makes everyone happy.......simple solution.

I really like the idea of the circle hand holds Bob designed in the short bulkhead between the galley and salon, but the 8" circles encroach into the tabbing which is not OK per Tim Nolan the engineer, so GreatDane28 and I have been trying out various sizes to see what we can get to fit......looks like 6 inch circles might work.......we take our time on these details because we want to get it right......people keep asking when she will be launched, well when we are finished she will be launched, not going to rush anything at this stage...............

Due to the simplistic design down stairs I sure you'll find the right size that will complement the interior layout with out comprising the strength of bulkheads

Kim - would suggest you mock something up on plywood and really grab hold and have SWMBO try it as well. I don't have a 6" ring in my office to try it on, but would worry than in confused/rough seas the grip might be tough/uncomfortable.

I will probably be struck down for this suggestion but it is easier to try on scrap.... :)

Again, thanks for sharing all of this. My productivity continues to sink at work, but I'm having a much better time with the daily updates!

Kim - would suggest you mock something up on plywood and really grab hold and have SWMBO try it as well. I don't have a 6" ring in my office to try it on, but would worry than in confused/rough seas the grip might be tough/uncomfortable.

I will probably be struck down for this suggestion but it is easier to try on scrap.... :)

Again, thanks for sharing all of this. My productivity continues to sink at work, but I'm having a much better time with the daily updates!

Oh yeah, I have been grabbing various sized circles recently, 4" is too small.......6" feels good.

Kim:

I like the 6" dia. hole. Looks perfect. I'd keep it 1.25" off the edge.

Funny you say 1.25" Bob, that is the same dimension that GreatDane28 suggested........you must have influenced him with your visits to the project.

Thanks Keith. But Morgon is in the northern part of Beaujolais as your map clearly shows.

I have never seen a white Beaujolais but I will keep my eyes open for one. Was it a Chardonay? Was it good?

I like Nouveau Beaujolais. California produces some very good ones. It's a great wine with turkey.

Don't forget your rubber gloves.

It was a Chardonnay. Very good. The Morgon was special.

Thanks Keith. But Morgon is in the northern part of Beaujolais as your map clearly shows.

I have never seen a white Beaujolais but I will keep my eyes open for one. Was it a Chardonay? Was it good?

I like Nouveau Beaujolais. California produces some very good ones. It's a great wine with turkey.

Don't forget your rubber gloves.

It was a Chardonnay. Very good. The Morgon was special.

Georges du Boeuf markets a white beaujolais - $6/bottle in the grocery store where I'm constantly searching for cheap wines I like.

Pacific Blue Sunbrella should be banned. It's an ugly color without it appearing on 90% of boats anyway.

That brings up another color question for Kim - canvas?

I'm getting a bimini soon so will have to make a decision on color. I used Marine Blue on a previous boat and may go with that again, but there are so many choices!

Pacific Blue Sunbrella should be banned. It's an ugly color without it appearing on 90% of boats anyway.

I'm getting a bimini soon so will have to make a decision on color. I used Marine Blue on a previous boat and may go with that again, but there are so many choices!

I am not a fan of dark "canvas" (actually Sunbrella).

I will have some sort of very light tan "canvas" to match up with the spar color.

I also hate colored sun-shields on roller furling jibs. I would rather have a light weight white Dacron cover and figure on replacing it every five to ten years.

Brodie - pick a colour that matches an existing colour on your boat - hull, boot top, non-skid - one of them. It really ties things together. Same thing goes for the inside of cowl vents - they are so often red or white and completely unrelated to the rest of the boat.

For canvas I, myself, personally prefer strong colours - those pale tan/beige/white dodgers & biminis just look so bland & uninspiring. I fail to understand white spinnakers too. :blink:

My favorites are the Cadet Gray and the lighter 'Silver' - both of which are the quickest-wearing and least UV protective, so for sail covers I have the local loft line mine with a darker color (anything they've got except Pacific Blue) - because the sun here kills stuff so fast you can watch it degrade before your eyes. White Dacron sun cover on a roller-furling jib ? Maybe a year, 2 max before it's baked and failing.

I like Sunbrella grey. It doesn;t "say" anything. It's just grey.

It says "wash me" even when it's brand new. ;)

I like darker colors too. My boat came with a tan sail cover and wheel cover that I do not like so I do not plan on trying to match those. Combined with the cream hull and (faded) tan deck the boat looks washed out. The bootstripe was red but I repainted it with Brightside Sapphire Blue, which is why I am thinking the Marine Blue again for the bimini.

I currently have a Dacron UV shield on the jib, which of course was made last year thinking the boat would be in RI....guessing when it expires in a couple years here in FL I will probably switch to a Sunbrella cover, but maybe not.

I love working with colors - nothing more fun that going to the hardware store and standing in front of the huge wall of paint chips and trying to decide which one I like best!

I do really like the deck color of my boat - it is faded now but it is not the usual "yellow" tan, more of a brown tan - I like to think it looks more like a not-quite faded out teak deck. I have no idea what color it is as of course the builder is long gone. I do know that the mast was Awlgrip cream, same as what Kim picked, but mine is now basically faded off white after 29 years.

DSC02988_zps948dea20.jpg

If it was mine I'd start changing over to dark blue. It will play off the boot and won't clash with your existing pale canvas. When that stuff needs replacing you can change it to dark blue.

I also see a couple of cowl vents that I hear asking to be painted dark blue inside. ^_^

Great looking boat by the way - a real yacht. Wish mine looked that spiffy.

Reminds me - question for Bob regarding "sectioning" of nonskid. Seems to be the accepted way to do nonskid is to have smooth areas around the edges, down the centerline, and around fittings, which I get. But why are there usually "stripes" in the middle of large areas of nonskid on the side decks and cabin top? I can see them in your deck rendering of Francis Lee, and they are visible in the picture of my boat that I just posted. Seems to be a common feature, but why? Is it easier for the mold builders? (can't think of why, but could be a reason), or is it just for looks? Certainly an old boat with canvas decks wouldn't have those gaps.

I like darker colors too. My boat came with a tan sail cover and wheel cover that I do not like so I do not plan on trying to match those. Combined with the cream hull and (faded) tan deck the boat looks washed out. The bootstripe was red but I repainted it with Brightside Sapphire Blue, which is why I am thinking the Marine Blue again for the bimini.

I currently have a Dacron UV shield on the jib, which of course was made last year thinking the boat would be in RI....guessing when it expires in a couple years here in FL I will probably switch to a Sunbrella cover, but maybe not.

I love working with colors - nothing more fun that going to the hardware store and standing in front of the huge wall of paint chips and trying to decide which one I like best!

I do really like the deck color of my boat - it is faded now but it is not the usual "yellow" tan, more of a brown tan - I like to think it looks more like a not-quite faded out teak deck. I have no idea what color it is as of course the builder is long gone. I do know that the mast was Awlgrip cream, same as what Kim picked, but mine is now basically faded off white after 29 years.

DSC02988_zps948dea20.jpg

She looks very smart, Brodie. You keep her in top condition too by the looks. I like the colourway too.

When I bought my boat she had off white dodgers and sail covers. I really liked the look. However, when it came time to replace them, the canvas guy claimed that light colors just didn't last. He said dark blue or green out lives light colors by 2 or 3 times. Is he right?

I caved and got green.

Puffin with new sail cover

Brodie:

Those stripes might indicate the size of the sheets of non skid that were used on the plug. Easier to make a true break than try to make a butt seam. If you can't hide it,,,highlight it.

The fill is inside the cockpit so I can avoid putting fuel into the Sound. I am kind of picky about not spilling fuel into saltwater.

+1. Or any kind of water for that matter.

I have dacron cover strips on my #2 roller genoa but they tend to mildew quickly. I believe they are glued on (Quantum). Sunbrella dries out faster given its more open weave. The sail is a cruising laminate, so that also creates drying issues.

If I were doing it again, I would have a hoistable cover in sunbrella, which means you don't have to clutter up the sail with luff foam, sacrificial strips, etc. Also saves the draft stripes, the first foot or so of which deteriorate.

Pretty simple to hoist the cover at the end of the day, with some easy hook and snap systems.

Starkindler

The fill is inside the cockpit so I can avoid putting fuel into the Sound. I am kind of picky about not spilling fuel into saltwater.

People sail in other than salt water????

I have dacron cover strips on my #2 roller genoa but they tend to mildew quickly. I believe they are glued on (Quantum). Sunbrella dries out faster given its more open weave. The sail is a cruising laminate, so that also creates drying issues.

If I were doing it again, I would have a hoistable cover in sunbrella, which means you don't have to clutter up the sail with luff foam, sacrificial strips, etc. Also saves the draft stripes, the first foot or so of which deteriorate.

Pretty simple to hoist the cover at the end of the day, with some easy hook and snap systems.

Starkindler

I have actually considered that approach and plan to discuss it with the sail-maker ( are you there Frank??)

I sail unsalted water. Lots of it and I agree fuel spills suck. Then they squirt dishsoap at it and it falls to the bottom.

we didn't have a lot of luck with the socks for the roller furling genoa and went back to a white cover on white sails so it's not too noticeable. Would prefer not to have it, but it was the least of all evils for us short of taking it down and folding.

The problem was that a simple zip-over tube left excess material to flop around up top and various systems to secure the excess material that was needed to have clearance to pull the thing up in the first place never worked well and ended up not getting used. I've seen a few that have come loose in storms and they can really make a mess.

Maybe they've improved them since our last try, which was a number of years ago, but we went back to the KISS method with the sewn on cover.

The other issue, which I think has been pretty widely been taken care of is the thread. A lot of it used to be non-UV resistant, so it would deteriorate and rot/pull out well before the sunbrella gave up the ghost.

I'd like to try the sock at least. I want this boat to look great and those funky luff covers are not very aesthetically satisfying. We have a very good sailmaker, Frank Schattauer and I think he can make it work.

See you at the Rendezvous Donn. I hope.

Thanks Bob, that makes sense. I figured there had to be a manufacturing reason for the gaps. They don't look bad, I was just wondering why they were there.

Frank Schattauer the sail maker just replaced the UV Dacron cover he put on a sail he made for me about 25 years ago (he and his brother Axel purchased the boat (Tioga) and the sail from me in 1992.)

UV is much less of a problem here in the PNW so apparently the UV Dacron he uses has a pretty good life up here.

When I bought my boat she had off white dodgers and sail covers. I really liked the look. However, when it came time to replace them, the canvas guy claimed that light colors just didn't last. He said dark blue or green out lives light colors by 2 or 3 times. Is he right?

I caved and got green.

I don't know if he's right but you sure made the right choice - looks great.

I'd like to try the sock at least. I want this boat to look great and those funky luff covers are not very aesthetically satisfying. We have a very good sailmaker, Frank Schattauer and I think he can make it work.

See you at the Rendezvous Donn. I hope.

We leave for Shilshole tonight, Bob. Hope to see you too.

KB, what would a half moon look like with the floor of the moon at 45 degrees or matching the upstroke of the handrail?

R

We've been looking for boat cushion material, but wouldn't be too far a stretch to come up with a solution for your covers. A bit of backing maybe?

http://www.sunbrella.com/showroom/index.php#submit=complexSearch&app=000000&color=all&pattern=stripes&col=all&fs=&screen=listing&menu=advAccordionItem&limits=111111

SWMBO got excited by the idea after I showed her this boat:

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/StockGallery.aspx?R=14900785&TabID=3013436&enq=6086745&ad=6089628&gal=6088093&wt=6120665&show=photos&cw=555&ch=370&index=7&mode=lightbox

...there's a premium on the stripes that put the idea from "yeah that's cool" to "put it on the list dear..." though

KB, what would a half moon look like with the floor of the moon at 45 degrees or matching the upstroke of the handrail?

R

GreatDane28 mocked up a sample and it was a very nice fit for holding on. GD28 plans to reinforce the inside with some solid FG to make sure it holds up.

It has to be a circle because we wanted to repeat the circles visible up forward....

post-8115-0-65057400-1376624633_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-38111300-1376624753_thumb.jpg

Dave and Josh have the hull insanely smooth.......I walked along carefully sighting down each side from front to back and from back to front and I could find no flaws.

post-8115-0-75944000-1376624879_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-30213400-1376624888_thumb.jpg

We've been looking for boat cushion material, but wouldn't be too far a stretch to come up with a solution for your covers. A bit of backing maybe?

http://www.sunbrella.com/showroom/index.php#submit=complexSearch&app=000000&color=all&pattern=stripes&col=all&fs=&screen=listing&menu=advAccordionItem&limits=111111

SWMBO got excited by the idea after I showed her this boat:

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/StockGallery.aspx?R=14900785&TabID=3013436&enq=6086745&ad=6089628&gal=6088093&wt=6120665&show=photos&cw=555&ch=370&index=7&mode=lightbox

...there's a premium on the stripes that put the idea from "yeah that's cool" to "put it on the list dear..." though

I am afraid I am a solid color kind of guy..........

If you took my advice about Awlgrip's "Greystone" for the spars, you'll find that Sunbrella's "Oyster" for covers matches it.

Also, if you're going to have laminated sails (vs. Dacron), a light-colored sail cover will keep them from overheating, leading to early delamination (sez my guy at North).

Dave and Josh have the hull insanely smooth.......I walked along carefully sighting down each side from front to back and from back to front and I could find no flaws.

Lights out in the shop and a bright focused headlamp will show you the most miniscule deviations.....

Had a sheetrock finisher that approached his smooth finish in that manner. Weird though.

R

GreatDane28 mocked up a sample and it was a very nice fit for holding on. GD28 plans to reinforce the inside with some solid FG to make sure it holds up.

It has to be a circle because we wanted to repeat the circles visible up forward....

got-it, some circular continuity at play eh!

If you took my advice about Awlgrip's "Greystone" for the spars, you'll find that Sunbrella's "Oyster" for covers matches it.

Also, if you're going to have laminated sails (vs. Dacron), a light-colored sail cover will keep them from overheating, leading to early delamination (sez my guy at North).

Said my guy at North too....

It looks great Kim. It's been a long and interesting journey,thanks for bringing us along. You know your getting close when you start discussing final paint colors and sail covers. I didn't know that CSR had moved into the old Seaview yard! I spent a good 6 years working in that building. It looks like they made some improvements,looks to be a lot lighter inside there now.I worked with the Russian guy,can't remember his name,until he went to CSR. He was a character and a damn good glasser. At least I'll know where to go come launch day :D Thanks again for sharing this all with us. VIK

Frank Schattauer the sail maker just replaced the UV Dacron cover he put on a sail he made for me about 25 years ago (he and his brother Axel purchased the boat (Tioga) and the sail from me in 1992.)

UV is much less of a problem here in the PNW so apparently the UV Dacron he uses has a pretty good life up here.

I prefer UV Dacron over Sunbrella but it doesn't last as long here as it does in the GNW. My Quantum Sailmaker used something else on my current sail. Says I'll get 7+ years out of it and, while heavier than UV Dacron, is much lighter than Sunbrella, doesn't absorb moisture and doesn't get that baggy look. I can find out what it is called if you want me to.

I prefer UV Dacron over Sunbrella but it doesn't last as long here as it does in the GNW. My Quantum Sailmaker used something else on my current sail. Says I'll get 7+ years out of it and, while heavier than UV Dacron, is much lighter than Sunbrella, doesn't absorb moisture and doesn't get that baggy look. I can find out what it is called if you want me to.

Well we got 20+ years out of the UV Dacron so I think we will use it again. I do lower my sails and put them below if I am not going to use them for a spell. Having the boat at home makes all of that fussing around pretty easy.

Dave and Josh fussing over the last few details before they shoot the first color coat............not much else to report......

post-8115-0-41580400-1376669805_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-30629600-1376669809_thumb.jpg

Running lights.

Bob has drawn a very retro combo red/green bow mounted running light which I think looks pretty good (see example on left), now comes the challenge of finding some that are legal for a >20 meter vessel. (Most seem to be made for runabouts under 25 feet.) Need to be seen out two nautical miles.

fig3.gif

LED masthead! No holes in the deck.... :)

8457566.jpg

That's an option........I do like the idea of LED so we could run smaller wire.

I'd stay with deck level unless you're sailing offshore much. Coming in and out of marinas and anchorages, other skippers don't always look UP for your lights, and you have a big boat/tall rig. We're required to have a back-up set so I have both, but I only switch over to the masthead tricolor for the big water.

Not that you'll be doing any races (or races under offshore reg's) but nav lights usually have to be above deck level. Note in that photo of the C&C, they had to add a combo light on the bow pulpit.

I was going to ask if Joli had a good experience with the Lopos. I've seen anecdotal evidence that they aren't the most reliable, and a boat I crewed on had one fail after only 6 months or so. I understand they have a 5 year warranty, but that's only so helpful when the problem is at the top of the mast.

We need to install a tricolor on our boat now, and I keep coming back to the Lopo as a good option, but only if they have improved their quality. They are not cheap, but would be worth it if the reliability is there. Are there any other quality options?

Lopo lights have been known to fail early (2-5 years). Get a light which allows you to replace the bulbs easily.

I had a Lopo tricolor and masthead light fail after 3-4 years and got a new one under warrantee. It was subtly different in design and may last longer this time around. ---one can hope, since they aren't, umm, inexpensive! Anyway, maybe the current owner will reap the benefits....

I was going to ask if Joli had a good experience with the Lopos. I've seen anecdotal evidence that they aren't the most reliable, and a boat I crewed on had one fail after only 6 months or so. I understand they have a 5 year warranty, but that's only so helpful when the problem is at the top of the mast.

We need to install a tricolor on our boat now, and I keep coming back to the Lopo as a good option, but only if they have improved their quality. They are not cheap, but would be worth it if the reliability is there. Are there any other quality options?

Lopo lights have been known to fail early (2-5 years). Get a light which allows you to replace the bulbs easily.

AquaSignal makes these masthead ones all LED, both with the anchor light and without: http://ca.binnacle.com/m53/AQUA-SIGNAL/p8745/AQUA-SIGNAL-SERIES-34-LED-TRI-COLOUR-ANCHOR-LIGHT/product_info.html

151_AQUA347067-P.jpg40-346067.jpg

They also do a deck mounted LED bi-colour (these are available in both black and white):

aqua-signal-series-33-led-bow-light-bi-c

You could do the C&C "thing" and mold the running lights into the cove?

cold.jpg

Unfortunately, these aren't legal for new construction any more - the running lights must be mounted above the bulwarks now.

Tri colour on a 65 foot boat? Um I don't think that's legal for a 65 footer.

Kimb, what about mounting nav lights on the side of the cabin? it might made finding something stylish easer.

Tri colour on a 65 foot boat? Um I don't think that's legal for a 65 footer.Kimb, what about mounting nav lights on the side of the cabin? it might made finding something stylish easer.

Francis Lee is 61.96' LOA

Running lights.

Bob has drawn a very retro combo red/green bow mounted running light which I think looks pretty good (see example on left), now comes the challenge of finding some that are legal for a >20 meter vessel. (Most seem to be made for runabouts under 25 feet.) Need to be seen out two nautical miles.

fig3.gif

Kim, at 62' you're under 20m, right?

AquaSignal makes these masthead ones all LED, both with the anchor light and without: http://ca.binnacle.com/m53/AQUA-SIGNAL/p8745/AQUA-SIGNAL-SERIES-34-LED-TRI-COLOUR-ANCHOR-LIGHT/product_info.html

151_AQUA347067-P.jpg40-346067.jpg

They also do a deck mounted LED bi-colour (these are available in both black and white):

aqua-signal-series-33-led-bow-light-bi-c

I cant remember were i saw it but I also believe there is a battery operated nav lights that use suction cap like the go pro stuff to put it in place

Yup! @ 30 feet in Lake MI.

9234660151_6247a460cc_b.jpg

Ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Why does anyone think I need help choosing running lights for Kim's boat?

I have something in mind and it has been in my mind for two years.

maybe something like this??

post-8115-0-11998200-1376889522_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-49754200-1376889527_thumb.jpg

maybe something like this??
Classy!

I've been sailing for two weeks and trying to catch up. I may have missed a change, but thought I saw a black bottom paint choice. In my best Silvio Dante voice I'll say "with all due respect, Tony", please don't paint the bottom black. Red, light green, but not blue or black. This boat is so long and light, it needs something other than a dark bottom. I've had good luck with white on my trimaran, which really wants no waterline, but it is high maintenance and I clean it standing in shallow water.

Please. I haven't asked for much.

You were absent...we were winging it.

That style of running light has been on every drawing for the past two years. It has just been a matter of finding one. We came close a year ago and this time Kim was quick to pounce.

We installed OGM on the mast head, so far so good, we've heard the same regarding Lopo.

We installed OGM on the mast head, so far so good, we've heard the same regarding Lopo.

Stroke of genius. That will be a really classy light out there on the bow, plus you can fit a small staff to it for a Spike Burgee.

A similar but slightly different version here:

post-25831-0-73419100-1376939917_thumb.jpg

Not sure I want the small staff for the burgee on the bow light. That may be too old powerboaty.

My wife has an antique, staff mounted stern light that she will conrtribute to the project. Kim hasn't see it yet but it is what I drew on the plans and with some ingenuity I'm sure it could be made functional once again. I love the stern light on the varnished staff look.

I sail unsalted water. Lots of it and I agree fuel spills suck. Then they squirt dishsoap at it and it falls to the bottom.

Our local inland sea also lacks salt. That is unless I am cooking corn on the Stern rail BBQ.

With respect to spills, no matter how careful you are, they eventually occur. Last summer I slopped some diesel overboard, not that much really, but of course it instantly spreads out to look like Valdez II. I had a spray bottle of Micro 50, a microbial degreaser (http://www.micro50.ca/) already made up for cleaning my engine and bilges. I quickly grabbed it and sprayed it all over the spill. The spill just disappeared as you watched - it was pretty cool. Micro50 claims that its product actually consumes and completely breaks down hydrocarbons. It seems to have worked in my case. Anybody else have any experience with this or other such?

What I bought for the bow light, just have to deal with the "blue" starboard light, first need to see what it looks like with light behind it, then will figure out how to make it "greener" (overlay yellow film maybe? or find a green lens?).

Not planning on using the small staff socket, will instead find a nice looking plug for it (the light bulb gets accessed via that socket too.)

Will want to fit it with the brightest light-bulb I can find.

post-8115-0-79983700-1376964028_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-70508500-1376964034_thumb.jpg

Kim, I think I heard that green starboard tints sometimes look blue when unlit. Best to try some lights in it in a dark room first.

If you need a back up I have this one. Bring your own oil.

post-25831-0-60329700-1376971919_thumb.jpg

post-25831-0-20635700-1376971967_thumb.jpg

post-25831-0-50941400-1376972004_thumb.jpg

What I bought for the bow light, just have to deal with the "blue" starboard light, first need to see what it looks like with light behind it, then will figure out how to make it "greener" (overlay yellow film maybe? or find a green lens?).

Not planning on using the small staff socket, will instead find a nice looking plug for it (the light bulb gets accessed via that socket too.)

Will want to fit it with the brightest light-bulb I can find.

I don't get why someone would make blue nav light, anyway If you put a cool white LED behind a green lens it will usually go blue, Maybe some clever sod here can make blue go green? Then you have to deal with the non legal issues and could have trouble getting the light output.

Or maybe you could retro one of these into the housing:

http://www.hellamarine.com/en/products/navigation-lamps/bi-colour/1-nm-naviflex-bi-colour-lamp.html

http://www.hellamarine.com/en/products/navigation-lamps/bi-colour/2-nm-bi-colour-2984-navigation-lamps.html

http://www.hellamarine.com/en/products/navigation-lamps/bi-colour/2-nm-bsh-naviled-pro-bi-colour-navigation-lamp.html

You'll work it out I'm sure, and they do look stunning!

FD