kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

All tented and waiting for paint....

Kim, how much of the total Project $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (by %) is paint & painting????????

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase?!?!

Don't know yet.........

Do you want to?

How about some tiller inspiration?

I saw this one at the Musée National de la Marine in Paris last weekend. The carvings near the aft end depict a hunting scene.

Perhaps something a little more understated for the Francis Lee.

I took a picture of that same tiller when I visited the Paris Maritime Museum several years ago!

I was blown away, absolutely amazing museum. They have so much amazing stuff there.

Like the wonderful First Order Fresnel Lens that was sitting there in all of its glory??

I love that museum!

You mean this one!

I was interested by this model of a Frigate fitted for polar exploration. What a weird bow.

post-41417-0-09199400-1377091238_thumb.jpg

post-41417-0-70249400-1377091324_thumb.jpg

How about some tiller inspiration?

I saw this one at the Musée National de la Marine in Paris last weekend. The carvings near the aft end depict a hunting scene.

Perhaps something a little more understated for the Francis Lee.

I took a picture of that same tiller when I visited the Paris Maritime Museum several years ago!

I was blown away, absolutely amazing museum. They have so much amazing stuff there.

Like the wonderful First Order Fresnel Lens that was sitting there in all of its glory??

I love that museum!

You mean this one!

I was interested by this model of a Frigate fitted for polar exploration. What a weird bow.

Yes, that one, my picture of it is too big to post and I am too lazy to re-size it, so thanks!

All tented and waiting for paint....

Kim, how much of the total Project $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (by %) is paint & painting????????

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase?!?!

Don't know yet.........

Do you want to?

Of course I do, I am a retired CPA, I keep very detailed records on the project costs, just don't have all of the paint invoices yet.

Bob. I tried that line on my customers when I was painting houses after college to support my career as a rock guitarist. I couldn't understand why they wanted an answer.

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

Tuck:

Kim's boat was not built to a bid so there has never been a "finished price" just an evolving target price.

Good and bad I define these terms

So clear, no doubt, somehow

My original estimate was nowhere near reality. I have learned much about boat building projects since I did that estimate.

Tuck:

Kim's boat was not built to a bid so there has never been a "finished price" just an evolving target price.

Good and bad I define these terms

So clear, no doubt, somehow

AKA "open wallet" or B.O.A.T. ;)

My estimate was pretty close.

Yeah yeah, but if I had believed your number we might not have built the boat, now it is too late to go back, no worries, I am very happy with the project.....

Yeah yeah, but if I had believed your number we might not have built the boat, now it is too late to go back, no worries, I am very happy with the project.....

Bob if you know what's good for you, start lying (or at least playing dumb). You're lucky Kim decided he knew better :-)

I wonder if I have ever told the Admiral the truth about a boat-related cost...

Bob if you know what's good for you, start lying (or at least playing dumb). You're lucky Kim decided he knew better :-)

To be accurate, Bob and I discussed the cost estimate and then I got quotes from several very experienced boat builders. I created my estimate using their numbers. Their numbers were maybe OK for what they would have built. At least this way I did not have to deal with their change orders, because I was in charge and I made conscious decisions to spend the extra money for things I thought important. So I own the cost overruns and I am quite happy I did the things that caused them. This has been a very good project.

If I lied zedder I'd have to live with the dissapointment of my client when the true cost were known. I'd look stupid. I do that otherways. Like singing when I'm drunk. When it comes to boat stuff I always try to be honest and as knowledgable as I can be.

Speaking from experience, painting topsides is around $150 per foot, painting a deck is around $500 per foot, at least around here. But if there is wet balsa or other issues that require repair prior to painting the number will grow.

I think I have a good idea what Kim has in the boat, he's a lucky man who has surely worked hard to have such a nice yacht. And, he is awfully kind to allow us to come along for the ride.

Thanks Kim!

Could be fun to have people guess at the cost. Not that Kim would ever tell you.

On the other hand Kim has told you just about everything else there is to tell on the boat. So, you never know.

All jokes aside, I know what Bob is going to say about this. I also know the lessons I have learned from when lying has happened. I have found that the best thing is to not ever lie to a customer, not ever. The thing is, so many people lie, they think you are too. It's a heavy cross to bear either way but it's worth it.

We are not finished so I don't know what the final costs will be, I have a pretty good idea what it will be, and once we are completely finished I will do a careful debrief on the costs just in case I need that information in the future. I already have all of the to date costs in a big excel spreadsheet broken into different phases.

I do not plan to ever sell this boat, rather I have already promised it to my two sailing sons. They gave me permission to spend a bit of their inheritance to build her so they get her in the end.

(They might want to sell her someday, that is their call. Bob and I will be gone by then so we don't care.)

This is a two part adventure: first a project....then sailing. The first part has been very interesting and instructional and worth the costs to me.

The experience you are having building that boat is one that few of us get - at any size boat. For all but a tiny number of people It's also a once in a lifetime experience. Thanks for taking us along.

As to the cost, it's pretty easy to estimate - more than almost any of us watching could ever afford since it's not suitable to live on.

Having that parked at the foot of your garden - life is hard. ;)

My original estimate was nowhere near reality. I have learned much about boat building projects since I did that estimate.

Think how much better the next boat build will be!

:) :)

since it's not suitable to live on.

Actually I think a single guy could live on her, she will end up being rather comfortable and have much more living space than many live-aboards. But it would be a shame to weight her down with live-aboard stuff. Maybe OK for a minimalist.

You couldn't have believed the guy's number, or didn't want to hear it and thought you were crafty in ways to cut the cost until you couldn't?

I wouldn't know anything about that with the farm...That's good!

I have a big old milk can with a Poor Richard quote painted in it by my door that addresses that.

We'll take a pic. In the meantime - cattle.

5829939968_39b2f11e82_b.jpg

Good heavens, how much draft does she have???? Jordan is 6'2" and must be able to reach up about 8 feet.....

(That tent in the back ground has the boat inside ready for some color...)

post-8115-0-30742200-1377148056_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-92484900-1377148064_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-35773000-1377148074_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-92861600-1377148081_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-08550000-1377148092_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-00650800-1377148099_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-81409600-1377148105_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-10034900-1377148110_thumb.jpg

I'll take a wild guess at the cost: twice the average of the estimates Kim got, whatever that is.

This has been a fascinating and thought-provoking project to follow. A side benefit: I learned that the school has SCAMP Camp. I want to go to SCAMP Camp.

I'll take a wild guess at the cost: twice the average of the estimates Kim got, whatever that is.

This has been a fascinating and thought-provoking project to follow. A side benefit: I learned that the school has SCAMP Camp. I want to go to SCAMP Camp.

I had to Google that. Lets just say that they are offering the Geographically Challenged SCAMP Camp...

I had to Google that. Lets just say that they are offering the Geographically Challenged SCAMP Camp...

Hey! A visit to Port Townsend Washington is well worth the effort!!

We are not finished so I don't know what the final costs will be, I have a pretty good idea what it will be, and once we are completely finished I will do a careful debrief on the costs just in case I need that information in the future. I already have all of the to date costs in a big excel spreadsheet broken into different phases.

I do not plan to ever sell this boat, rather I have already promised it to my two sailing sons. They gave me permission to spend a bit of their inheritance to build her so they get her in the end.

(They might want to sell her someday, that is their call. Bob and I will be gone by then so we don't care.)

This is a two part adventure: first a project....then sailing. The first part has been very interesting and instructional and worth the costs to me.

Are you still trying to work out how you can claim it off your tax bill... :-)

No Paul, think how wonderful this boat is.

Live for today.

Tomorrow can be very weird.

No shit.

(just leetle joke.)

Still, guys over 60, um, I meant a boy (!) can dream......

Good heavens, how much draft does she have???? Jordan is 6'2" and must be able to reach up about 8 feet.....

Enough draft to clear your sinuses, on occasion, if our 8.5' is any indication. Low low tide will never be the same.... When you call marinas, you'll want to talk to the guy who actually knows the depths of each slip. Like you've heard of that rock just off the gas dock, but now it matters! How close to the guest dock at Port Ludlow do you have to hug to get to the gas dock? Do you really want to tie up next to the inner gas pump at low tide? Talk to the Skipper of Atalanta, whom I believe you have some acquaintance- he's an old hand at this. Think hard about shortcuts, and staying outside of approach channels. Where should I cross the bar into Port Ludlow? Its low tide! Checking in to Canada, say at Sydney, will become a head scratcher. Have they dredged the entrance to Gig Harbor? Approaches in general will take longer. A hand held GPS on you will become second nature.

On the other hand, tacking angles will make you laugh out loud. It's like living in a different universe. Top telltale will point straight forward upwind. Kind of spooky....

Bow down, baby! Although everyone who gets the helm will see if it's possible to sail straight upwind. (Even Bob.). It's really Big Fun. :)

Enough draft to clear your sinuses, on occasion, if our 8.5' is any indication. Low low tide will never be the same.... When you call marinas, you'll want to talk to the guy who actually knows the depths of each slip. Like you've heard of that rock just off the gas dock, but now it matters! How close to the guest dock at Port Ludlow do you have to hug to get to the gas dock? Do you really want to tie up next to the inner gas pump at low tide? Talk to the Skipper of Atalanta, whom I believe you have some acquaintance- he's an old hand at this. Think hard about shortcuts, and staying outside of approach channels. Where should I cross the bar into Port Ludlow? Its low tide! Checking in to Canada, say at Sydney, will become a head scratcher. Have they dredged the entrance to Gig Harbor? Approaches in general will take longer. A hand held GPS on you will become second nature.

On the other hand, tacking angles will make you laugh out loud. It's like living in a different universe. Top telltale will point straight forward upwind. Kind of spooky....

Bow down, baby! Although everyone who gets the helm will see if it's possible to sail straight upwind. (Even Bob.). It's really Big Fun. :)

My oldest son "dbottles" was the paid skipper on Atalanta for a number of years. I have sailed on her many times. I substituted for him several times, so I guess you could say I have skippered her myself (with a very short crew, me and two others). I am reasonably up to speed on dealing with deep draft sailboats.

To be honest about it, when I do the financial debrief I will segregate the cost overruns out that were because I made a conscious decision to spend more money on some detail or item that I decided to add. So it will be interesting to see what overruns were because of a missed item and which were because the number we used in the estimate was too low.

The items I added can not be considered an "overrun". I expect that the vast majority of the cost increase has been due to MY change orders, not because of a blown estimate. I decided early in the project that this was to be a special boat so I decided to go ahead and not cut any corners. That's where the big cost increases showed up.

I think Bob figured out I would go for "best" long before I knew I would, so his estimate was based on a much higher quality vessel than I first envisioned.

There is no substitute for horsepower waterline and draft.

Orange paint. ;)

vestas-sailrocket-2.jpg

Got me there.

I do not consider that a boat, a lot of fun? Yes, a boat? no.

My oldest son "dbottles" was the paid skipper on Atalanta for a number of years. I have sailed on her many times. I substituted for him several times, so I guess you could say I have skippered her myself (with a very short crew, me and two others). I am reasonably up to speed on dealing with deep draft sailboats.

Atalanta used to be at the end of our dock- so it might have been your son I overheard so many times on the cellphone, talking to a marina, saying something to the effect "now you understand we have a really really deep draft?"?

Which is more invigorating, the Over 8' Draft Club, or the Flat Roof Society?

Orange paint. ;)

vestas-sailrocket-2.jpg

Got me there.

Polynesians of the future might disagree?

Orange paint. ;)

vestas-sailrocket-2.jpg

Got me there.

... and I'm not sure about that reverse sheer either; I think it spoils her lines.

I don't get it. What all this drivel about draft about?

The boat draws 10'.

MERIDIAN draws 10' and I have sailed that boat all over the Sound and to Desolation without any problems. I have even been into Gig Harbor with touching bottom on MERIDIAN. I was cautious but not scared.

ICON draws over 13' with the keel down.

Some people hit rocks. Others don't.

When you have a long, light and narrow boat, L/B 6.29, you have to find some stability somewhere. You sure as hell aren't going to get it from beam or displ so it has to be draft and a low VCG.

This is not a novel approach. I am not pioneering anything. It is common yacht design sense.

The boat draws 10'.

MERIDIAN draws 10' and I have sailed that boat all over the Sound and to Desolation without any problems. I have even been into Gig Harbor with touching bottom on MERIDIAN. I was cautious but not scared.

When you have a long, light and narrow boat, L/B 6.29, you have to find some stability somewhere. You sure as hell aren't going to get it from beam or displ so it has to be draft and a low VCG.

This is not a novel approach. I am not pioneering anything. It is common yacht design sense.

Oh, we understand draft. We are just jealous of those with enough water to accommodate 10' of it.

IB:

I understand what you mean. We are spoiled up here. The mooring bouy in front of my house is now about 70' off the water's edge and I'd guess it is in at least 45' of water. We call it the "drop off". We use 200' of line on our crab pot.

You couldn't have believed the guy's number, or didn't want to hear it and thought you were crafty in ways to cut the cost until you couldn't?

I wouldn't know anything about that with the farm...That's good!

I have a big old milk can with a Poor Richard quote painted in it by my door that addresses that.

We'll take a pic. In the meantime - cattle.

5829939968_39b2f11e82_b.jpg

Those cattle are out standing in their field !

Now, about Poor Richard's Almanac - my very favorite quote of all of Ben's great zingers is:

" There is no print so bold as to be read through a coin."

Meaning that when money is in play, expect shenanigans.

Having repaired production boats and found voids and un-wet laminate, unfinished bulkhead tabbing and (my favorite) - lunchtime garbage inside Hobie Cat hulls, I think that part of the investment here is the peace of mind that everything was done Just So, and no half-assing about it.

Worth every farthing, I say. Good on ya.

Still not too late to put Signal Orange in the pressure pot however....

"Still not too late to put Signal Orange in the pressure pot however...."

Well, yes I am afraid it is too late because when I left this morning they were preparing to spray color on the hull.......

Ah, but you can STILL put random tape strips all over the topsides and shoot another contrasting coat then peel off the tape and have yourself a Van Halen guitar paint job.

No, really - You can thank me later...

lunchtime garbage inside Hobie Cat hulls.

(said in my best Sgt. Shultz accent)....I know nuthink!!

I once had a Porsche that developed rust in a rocker panel (big surprise). When they opened it up they found a shop towel inside it - soaking wet of course.

To be honest about it, when I do the financial debrief I will segregate the cost overruns out that were because I made a conscious decision to spend more money on some detail or item that I decided to add. So it will be interesting to see what overruns were because of a missed item and which were because the number we used in the estimate was too low.

The items I added can not be considered an "overrun". I expect that the vast majority of the cost increase has been due to MY change orders, not because of a blown estimate. I decided early in the project that this was to be a special boat so I decided to go ahead and not cut any corners. That's where the big cost increases showed up.

I think Bob figured out I would go for "best" long before I knew I would, so his estimate was based on a much higher quality vessel than I first envisioned.

OK, based on those rules, my guess applies to the actual, final cost, including overruns.

"In your case, Mr. Ray, it's going to take a little longer and cost a little more..."

(I assume that in your world, they say "Mr. Bottles" instead) ;)

OK, based on those rules, my guess applies to the actual, final cost, including overruns.

"In your case, Mr. Ray, it's going to take a little longer and cost a little more..."

(I assume that in your world, they say "Mr. Bottles" instead) ;)

Generally everyone calls me "Kim".........

IB:

I understand what you mean. We are spoiled up here. The mooring bouy in front of my house is now about 70' off the water's edge and I'd guess it is in at least 45' of water. We call it the "drop off". We use 200' of line on our crab pot.

I remember. It took me a couple of years back in thin water to get used to anchoring with 1.5' under the keel when I came back here after two years in your neck of the woods.

My boat draws 5'. I can't pass between the keel and the bottom at low tide in the slip. Kim is welcome to visit but will need to anchor about a mile away in the river and dinghy in.

At least there is only one spot in the Chesapeake with rocks on the bottom. The rest is forgiving mud.

IB:

I remember. It took me a couple of years back in thin water to get used to anchoring with 1.5' under the keel when I came back here after two years in your neck of the woods.

My boat draws 5'. I can't pass between the keel and the bottom at low tide in the slip. Kim is welcome to visit but will need to anchor about a mile away in the river and dinghy in.

At least there is only one spot in the Chesapeake with rocks on the bottom. The rest is forgiving mud.

A mate of mine back in Oz has (amongst other boats) built 3 Chesapeake Bay crabbing skiffs. This is his latest one and with the board up and with it's shallow rudder, this one can be sailed in 18 inches. It sails really well and reaches like a witch. Very simple ... two sheets and tiller.

post-14496-0-47544700-1377207856_thumb.jpg

I remember anchoring a Valiant 40 in Delware Bay one night. We, Nathan and I, had planned to stop at this town for dinner. We anchored in 6' of water. I had to disengage the alarm on the depth sounder. We could hardly see the fucking town. It was a mile way. We got no dinner. They had branches stuck in the mud to mark the channel! What the fuck kind of sailing is that?

So Scott was nice enough to give me some pictures.......before the goop and vacuum bagging was installed.....

post-8115-0-63303600-1377221189_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-33514000-1377221195_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-07801300-1377221201_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-72825600-1377221206_thumb.jpg

I was a bit surprised at how "square" the keel was.......about 9' tall by 9' long! .............(Some of that "tall" gets buried in the keel pan.......)

post-8115-0-96845900-1377221328_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-61851700-1377221334_thumb.jpg

And then there is paint......pretty shiny now.....Josh still thinks we have a ways to go to be finished. 3-4 coats so far.

post-8115-0-72618500-1377221506_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-86050800-1377221512_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-08827600-1377221524_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-25156500-1377221531_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-59724100-1377221576_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-46985700-1377221581_thumb.jpg

Speaking of the keel.......I got there too late to see the bolts go in....

Looks great, Kimb.

And then there is paint......pretty shiny now.....Josh still thinks we have a ways to go to be finished. 3-4 coats so far.

Wow. They must have spent a lot of time with longboards on that. Glad nobody is trying to rush things now.

She'll be looking so fine, you'll be having to explain she's not carbon or glass fibre at this rate. Nice work.

The boat draws 10'.

Drivel about draft?

(sotto voce) Remember Bob, we sank your mooring buoy......

awesome. I rolled on some Rustoleum marine paint on my browned (used to be white) gelcoat on the interior of my 4KSB tonight. I may have used the can with some non-skid sand in it, but, I am not sure. I will know this weekend when I rub my leg on it. :rolleyes:

Great work, Kim. Thanks for sharing! B)

I remember anchoring a Valiant 40 in Delware Bay one night. We, Nathan and I, had planned to stop at this town for dinner. We anchored in 6' of water. I had to disengage the alarm on the depth sounder. We could hardly see the fucking town. It was a mile way. We got no dinner. They had branches stuck in the mud to mark the channel! What the fuck kind of sailing is that?

Sailing with a long tradition of watermen and commerce where we wear shorts most of the season and the fish and crabs are the finest.

[snip]

At least there is only one spot in the Chesapeake with rocks on the bottom. [snip]

And those were thrown in by small boys one summer.

All this chatter about the draft of the Frances Lee (sp?) cracks me up, Like Kim and Bob didn't talk about where this boat would be used at the start.

This is a custom build folks, Kim knows what he wants / needs! and I'm fairly sure Bob knows how to deliver.

Same goes for the hull shape, yea, it's different, If Kim wanted "normal" he would have just got a production boat, Kim did not want "normal" and he gets a boat designed to do what he is going to use it for.

F'ing awsome!

As for what the boat cost, I'm guessing twice what my house is worth, + exchange rate from kiwi dollars to US dollars + cost overruns. (what do I win?)

Back in the bad old days boats were worth more than the sum of there parts because they had the heart and sole of the 50 men that built her, Now days, plastic and built from a mould, not so much.

Not many boats being built today that carry the heart and sole of 50 men.

Kim, allowing anyone that wants to follow you build this heirloom, thanks, I enjoy every update.

Photos on the water, Bring em on!

FD

Holy crap Kim, is she going to be finished before I get there to have a look???

FD has it right. It's not like Kim and I didn't discuss draft at length.

"sank my mooring bouy"? That I don't remember. It's still there, right where I left it. It has gone on walkabout before though. But I retrieved it from the next beach. I've had ICON hang on that mooring.

Holy crap Kim, is she going to be finished before I get there to have a look???

When are you coming?

Next Friday? Hey, if she's launched by then I'm up for sea trials!!! :rolleyes:

Next Friday? Hey, if she's launched by then I'm up for sea trials!!! :rolleyes:

we are a long way from launching, but I am expecting you next Friday afternoon say around 3:30 or so? Does that work for you?

son Derek (dbottles) showed up to inspect his inheritance.........(well he does have to share her with his brother, they are long time boat partners so it should work out OK, but hopefully not for a long time!)

That sure is a small stern for a 62 foot vessel.....

post-8115-0-35179700-1377306309_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-17768200-1377306318_thumb.jpg

Visited this afternoon and there was Josh getting ready for yet another color coat, I think this will be coat number five......

post-8115-0-98032900-1377306449_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-85576300-1377306456_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-52013800-1377306461_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-64345400-1377306470_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-00111300-1377306479_thumb.jpg

I think we are in good hands. These guys seem very committed to the excellence of the project. I'm a happy yacht designer.

People love being attached to a project where "perfect" is a given.

In reply to post 6671, the chronicles tell us: "Once attached to said buoy- stern tie- and through a few tide cycles, the line to your buoy anchor concrete - intended, no doubt, to hold in place through the heat death of the universe - wrapped itself underneath it, and wrapped it, and wrapped it until Amati was down at the stern, observable from the back deck of the Beach Place, whereupon alchohol deadened panic slowly overtook us, and a crooked path in rotomolded plastic to said buoy was rowed, whereupon much head scratching was scratched. We then slept with heads inclined down in the v berth, until the next morning when there was much noise in the early dawn, and the Chain did let loose in whirling noise, thus letting loose the stern of Amati. We then rejoiced and ate many pancakes drowned in butter and syrup, followed by many a cup of coffee and oaths of fealty to the gods of tide and warp. We then untied Amati from the sullenness of concrete and nylon and sailed we up north, with many a tender wave goodbye, past the south of Camano, and north to the isles of San Juan.

So endeth the tale of the sinking of the blue and white chain ball, though close to the beach, deep in the stinky whale breath depths.

Hail to your pancakes and cups of java! Hail to the greatness of your wine cellar! Hail to your water wisdom that such a creature as Amati should spring from your frontal lobes!

So is my story done.....

I would have thought you would have had an in depth discussion rather than talking at length.

Romain

Is it too late for ChromaFlair on the mast & boom?

Francis Lee is a well bred lady, not a drag queen. :)

I would have thought you would have had an in depth discussion rather than talking at length.

Romain

Yes Paul, I'm sure you are correct. Bob and Kim most likely had an in depth discussion of draft and talked at length of LWL and LOA.

Romain

Yes Paul, I'm sure you are correct. Bob and Kim most likely had an in depth discussion of draft and talked at length of LWL and LOA.

And a lofty discussion about rig dimensions?

Romain

However, there was no wide range of opinions on the beam...

Frank (Francis Lee) would have fit in well with you characters.

Bob and Frank would have had quite the time together.

Romain

However, there was no wide range of opinions on the beam...

True, it appears Kim holds some narrow views on this.