kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

(Just wait until he finds out that the sail maker will not even measure the rig until it is installed so no sails until late Oct or early November. Well I do have the masthead asymmetrical and the storm jib....)

I only ran Atalanta aground once unexpectedly. Not that big a deal to draw 10.8 feet and I took her all over the Pacific.

How many times did you ground her expectedly? :P

Oh no, the professional skipper secret is now out of the bag......(but as "future owner" maybe he can qualify as owner driven....)

Speaking of sails, what sort of fabrics are in the mix

Dacron

Like Norlam Dacron or just plain old Dacron?

Heck if I know, I have this really close friend Frank who has been a sail-maker most of his life, let's ask him.

Frank! Paging sail-maker Frank!

(Just wait until he finds out that the sail maker will not even measure the rig until it is installed so no sails until late Oct or early November. Well I do have the masthead asymmetrical and the storm jib....)

I only ran Atalanta aground once unexpectedly. Not that big a deal to draw 10.8 feet and I took her all over the Pacific.

How many times did you ground her expectedly? :P

Well there was the time we were in a marina down in Mexico that had about 8 or 9 feet of water. We found the bottom soft enough we could power our way in and out with the big three blade MaxiProp and 250hp diesel (250hp? is that right Derek?)

That's one of the reasons I went with a four blade MaxiProp on the Francis Lee. Never know when you need to power your way through the soft stuff.

She has hull color......and Josh is still not completely satisfied, he plans to address some small items that I have trouble seeing..........nice that he cares so much......

It is hard to see in the pictures but she is very glossy......just take my word for it......

post-8115-0-88954800-1377559032_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-75250100-1377559037_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-91475400-1377559044_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-61930400-1377559052_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-56879100-1377559058_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-21402600-1377559065_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-66827200-1377559076_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-66347600-1377559085_thumb.jpg

Tim (back from vacation) and Jordan were working on the spreaders, other parts of the rig, fitting the rudder to the hull, and various other details........

post-8115-0-74091800-1377559238_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-32804300-1377559245_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-60507400-1377559251_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-59267700-1377559259_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-76643300-1377559265_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-46091800-1377559274_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-06947000-1377559288_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-65146900-1377559293_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-96895100-1377559304_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-85990500-1377559318_thumb.jpg

Apparently they were going to dry fit the rig soon, I might miss that but Jordan says he will take pictures......

That stern shot looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I love it when I impress myself.

I love it when I chase the nay sayers away.

I know Bob prides himself on a balanced boat, but that is a really small rudder.

I am with you on that subject Bob, I also just love looking at the stern. I might have to set the stern anchor at an angle from my mooring so she stays at that angle so I can see her from that view all day long..........

Here I loaded the picture bigger for you Bob so you can blow it up easier.....(the gloss shows better on the large shot too....)

post-8115-0-33599000-1377562527_thumb.jpg

Knowing that I like "simple" Jordan ground off the logos on the through hull fittings, Jordan understands the design concept.......they will also be buried in the flag blue boot stripe........

post-8115-0-63273400-1377562760_thumb.jpg

I am with you on that subject Bob, I also just love looking at the stern. I might have to set the stern anchor at an angle from my mooring so she stays at that angle so I can see her from that view all day long..........

Here I loaded the picture bigger for you Bob so you can blow it up easier.....(the gloss shows better on the large shot too....)

I might have said this before but it bears repeating - everyone should thank you for making that view of the boat so great - it's all anybody is going to see. Reminded me of a sign on a drag car I once saw - on the back edge of the trunk lid was painted "You Lose" - that was what the other guy saw. :D

A friend of Kim's and mine had a very fast Chance 52'er WARRIOR. Right down on the hull, just above the keel root was written in 8" high letters "AMF". You could only see it when the boat was heeled 30 degrees or so. If I lady asked him what "AMF" stood for he would say, "It stands for American Marine Foundation". If A guy asked him what AMF stood for he'd say, "Adios Mother Fucker".

Thanks for the bigger pic Kim. I do like that angle. I've been a bit concerned about the sheer aft. I have been thinking it could have been more pronounced. I'll stop worrying now.

Oh no, the professional skipper secret is now out of the bag......(but as "future owner" maybe he can qualify as owner driven....)

Speaking of sails, what sort of fabrics are in the mix

Dacron

Like Norlam Dacron or just plain old Dacron?

Heck if I know, I have this really close friend Frank who has been a sail-maker most of his life, let's ask him.

Frank! Paging sail-maker Frank!

He only ever lurks.

C'mon Frank how 'bout a post on what sails you think befit this sweet vision of a boat?

Even I have to admit the Cashmere baby lambs really do make it nice and shiny.

That stern shot looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I love it when I impress myself.

I love it when I chase the nay sayers away.

I never have been much of a double ender fan, Now I find myself looking at the stern of this boat and I'm starting to think along the lines of "why do desingers design a boat and the say 'that's enough, just cut the rest off, we don't need it' ".

Bob you need to start saying, "I'm so good, sometimes I even impress myself"

Floater:

If you look back at the designs of guys like Uffa Fox and other older designers you will often find that they dreww all their hulls as double enders. Then they just chopped off the stern where they wanted.

There are many good reasons for transoms. But not on this boat.

The painted hull shots are breathtaking. I do like the notion that on this project, "perfection is a given." It's also inspiring to see how everyone who has been involved in the project seems to have truly taken up the challenge and given it their very best. In an era of mediocrity and disposable everything, such craftsmanship, personal commitment and attention to detail is quite rare, and quite wonderful.

I think the attention everyone has given this vessel is a tribute to Bob's design.

Thank you Bob.

In the pursuit of efficiency, I omitted the obvious. (And heck, we don't want him to get any more of a swelled head - this thread has become the Online Church of Robert Perry)

The painted hull shots are breathtaking. I do like the notion that on this project, "perfection is a given."

Ok I'd like to respectfully disagree, even though I may be in the minority.

It's a one-off daysailor. A light, skinny one. It's gonna be fast, and there's no other boats to race against.

Could we skip the next 12 thru one bajillion steps of, "This is the photo of GD28 and the crew buffing the hull down with free-range vegetarian Cashmere baby lambs" and just bolt the bloody keel on and drop 'er in the water and take some sailing videos?!

Patience isn't the strong suit for some of us....(heck, if you lived in Toronto, summer would be just about over)

What are you talking about?!? We still have 8 or 10 days of warm weather left!

Richard:

"swelled head"? Not really. A little it at times but not too much. There are offsets in life.

Yeah - your wife vomiting periodically will do that. ;)

She has hull color......and Josh is still not completely satisfied, he plans to address some small items that I have trouble seeing..........nice that he cares so much......

It is hard to see in the pictures but she is very glossy......just take my word for it......

WOW. Nice job guys.

Thanks Sailby. I'm pretty happy with how the boat is coming along. Seeing it painted has made it easier for me to apreciate the lines and shape details.

Thanks Sailby. I'm pretty happy with how the boat is coming along. Seeing it painted has made it easier for me to apreciate the lines and shape details.

She looks fabulous, Bob. And the design and build quality is shinning through big time. Can't wait to see her afloat.

Thread drift I know - but how's that new commission of your's coming along? I think there was a pic with you and Kimb showing your new client over Francis Lee a while back.

Sailby:

I am meeting with client on Thursday. The design project is coming along fine. I'm not ready to show anything yet. I have to get the boat through the "adolescent" phase.

Rasper did a little editing work on thois photo of Violet.

I like it.

Very cute.

Sailby:

I am meeting with client on Thursday. The design project is coming along fine. I'm not ready to show anything yet. I have to get the boat through the "adolescent" phase.

Thanks, Bob. All in good time.

Bob designed hand holds in the galley...they work well, feel nice and Jordan has not yet even smoothed out the insides.

post-8115-0-50278900-1377662234_thumb.jpg

I tried to get them to move the big blue thing so I could take better pictures, but for some reason they refused.

post-8115-0-63039800-1377662654_thumb.jpg

And then back into the shop but a different slot....

WOW! classic beauty.

Sailby:

I am meeting with client on Thursday. The design project is coming along fine. I'm not ready to show anything yet. I have to get the boat through the "adolescent" phase

She could fall in with the wrong crowd if your not careful.

And then back into the shop but a different slot....

That last shop pic is the best one yet. At least, if you ignore some of the other stuff sitting around, the boat looks great!

Great color choice for the hull. Materhorn white, yes?.

No, SWMBO did not like that white so we ended up with Awlcraft F8020 "Off White"......

post-8115-0-37582000-1377695999_thumb.jpg

I'm getting anxious to see the cove and boot stripes. That should add to the long and lean look.

As if she doesn't look lean enough now.........

post-8115-0-42589700-1377696478_thumb.jpg

Kim:

That was my pre-coffee attempt at humor.

I just can not past up the opportunity to tease you Mr. Perry. After all some people think you have a swelled head, so I am making it my job to deflate you whenever I see the chance. Cheers!

(BTW, the crew immediately posted the new drawing of the nonskid layout when I gave it to them yesterday.)

post-8115-0-64663600-1377705062_thumb.jpg

Seems there is interest in the T-shirt that Violet is wearing in this photo.

I just talked to the guy who provided them for the Perry rendezvous and he says he has left:

1 small

5 large

5 XL

7XXL

The cost is $30 plus shipping and I'm not sure what the shipping cost is yet.

Send me a pm if you are interested.

post-2980-0-21473400-1377708290_thumb.jpg

Moe, Moe, Moe, Moe, Moe:

If you get your own SLIVER you could name it HOLY COW.

I like that.

Sure!

It's really been an honor to watch the build of this boat. Not many individuals these days willing to devote the energy and resources to a project like this. I look forward to seeing her on the water!

I'm getting anxious to see the cove and boot stripes. That should add to the long and lean look.

This smacks of overcompensating ! - what happened, did you overhear somebody call the Baba 30 a Crab-Crusher ? You make this boat look any skinnier and it will disappear when view end-on.

Where'd it go ?

This smacks of overcompensating ! - what happened, did you overhear somebody call the Baba 30 a Crab-Crusher ? You make this boat look any skinnier and it will disappear when view end-on.

Where'd it go ?

Exactly where Kim wanted it to.

Floater:

If you look back at the designs of guys like Uffa Fox and other older designers you will often find that they dreww all their hulls as double enders. Then they just chopped off the stern where they wanted.

If Kim had wanted essentially the same boat, but had insisted on a transom, would you chop this same hull or would it need to be different? If you would chop this one, where?

It's a pretty horrifying thought after looking at that warehouse pic, but I'm curious.

If Kim had wanted essentially the same boat, but had insisted on a transom, would you chop this same hull or would it need to be different? If you would chop this one, where?

It's a pretty horrifying thought after looking at that warehouse pic, but I'm curious.

Please. The next thing you will want is an open transom and dual 12" wheels. :angry:

Floater:

I think Uffa's Flying Fifteen was drawn as a 40ft double ender before they put a transom on !!! LOL

Tom:

What you propose re chopping off the stern would not work on this design. There is really no appreciable overhang aft. Or forward for that matter. This boat is already all sailing length. Nothing useless to chop off.

To do the chop of thing you would a stern with a long and elevated counter.

Back when I was watchting the old AC class monohulls like BLACK MAGIC it looked to me like they might have built the boat long and then sailed them and while heeled over taken a pece of chalk and drawn a dotted "cut line" wher the boat stopped intereacting with the qurterwave. I'm perrty certain they did not do this but it looked to me like they did not have an inch of boat aft that was not working with the water.

Zonks:

Thanks.

Running lights have arrived. I really have to hand it to Bob on this one, I would have never thought of this solution, but it is just perfect for the vessel. Jordan and I checked out location this morning and it should fit nicely in front of the forward cleat and aft of the bow roller. Once we settle on which bow roller we will use we have to check if the light will need a small podium to make sure the light is visible over the roller.

I was slightly worried about the "blue" hue of the starboard light, but I found that the "yellowish" hue of an incandescent light bulb combining with the "blueish" lens makes a green light. (LED lights are too white and the light shines "blueish" with them, fortunately I was not planning on LED running lights.)

Now I am going to search for the brightest bulb I can find for the socket, although the bulb they sent is pretty bright.

post-8115-0-71221900-1377792355_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-80769200-1377792365_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-06732700-1377792373_thumb.jpg

Running lights have arrived. I really have to hand it to Bob on this one, I would have never thought of this solution, but it is just perfect for the vessel. Jordan and I checked out location this morning and it should fit nicely in front of the forward cleat and aft of the bow roller. Once we settle on which bow roller we will use we have to check if the light will need a small podium to make sure the light is visible over the roller.

I was slightly worried about the "blue" hue of the starboard light, but I found that the "yellowish" hue of an incandescent light bulb combining with the "blueish" lens makes a green light. (LED lights are too white and the light shines "blueish" with them, fortunately I was not planning on LED running lights.)

Now I am going to search for the brightest bulb I can find for the socket, although the bulb they sent is pretty bright.

Those lights appear to have a tube running down the middle of them.

??????

A socket, as it were . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It belays their origin:-)

I think there was suppose to be a small burgee staff installed there, I will find a proper rubber stopper for it as I don't think I will fly a burgee there.........not when we have spreaders up high.

I think there was suppose to be a small burgee staff installed there, I will find a proper rubber stopper for it as I don't think I will fly a burgee there.........not when we have spreaders up high.

I think a private signal or maybe the Spike burgee would look nice up there on occasion.

We can always mock up a little jack staff (I is that what you call them?) the problem is that as designed the little JACK STAFF is angled aft at a jaunty rake. That would look odd in this application. We need it to be vertical or maybe even raked forward 5 degrees. Oh yeah,,,,,, kind of echo the bow rake.

I just talked to the guy who provided them for the Perry rendezvous and he says he has left:

1 small

5 large

5 XL

7XXL

If you were to do a shirt with a drawing of Sliver, would the bow meet the stern in on the front, back or one of the sides?

1 small

5 large

5 XL

7XXL

If you were to do a shirt with a drawing of Sliver, would the bow meet the stern in on the front, back or one of the sides?

That would be so awesome, it wrapping around the entire shirt.

We can always mock up a little jack staff (I is that what you call them?) the problem is that as designed the little JACK STAFF is angled aft at a jaunty rake. That would look odd in this application. We need it to be vertical or maybe even raked forward 5 degrees. Oh yeah,,,,,, kind of echo the bow rake.

On Navy ships while in harbor the jack is flown from the jackstaff and the ensign is hoisted aft. At sea, the ensign flies from the mainmast. (As a further bit of trivia, the "union jack" is flown on Her Britannic Majesty's ships on the jack staff. I think that is the only national flag referred to as a jack.)

Not suggesting any such arrangement for (the very lovely) Francis Lee, just providing some background information.

Thanks again for sharing so much about the build of this boat.

If the angle of the jack staff matches the angle of the headstay, it might not look bad.

It is probably raked aft at too jaunty of an angle though.

I already have a T-shirt with the sail plan of FRANCIS LEE on it. And no, it is all contained on the chest area.

Actually it is on the back, the School logo is on the front.........

Cyber:L

Not a bad thought. We could easily mock that up.

Can't think of any nautical protocol that a bow burgee conforms to. Anybody know?

I rather like the idea of the Spike burgee flying from the spreaders.

My neighbor, Dr. John, flies one from his antena on his Boston Whaler. I see it every day.

Cyber:L

Not a bad thought. We could easily mock that up.

Can't think of any nautical protocol that a bow burgee conforms to. Anybody know?

I rather like the idea of the Spike burgee flying from the spreaders.

My neighbor, Dr. John, flies one from his antena on his Boston Whaler. I see it every day.

Somebody could probably make a jackstaff with the part that fits the socket on a different angle than the rest of the staff to get the lines matched up.

As for protocol, I see classic boats like Chris Craft etc. flying a Chris Craft burgee on the forward jackstaff. Perhaps Kim needs a Splinter Class burgee?

I use a retrofit LED festoon bulb in my Aqua Signal combination running light. It has red LED's on the port and green LED's for starboard. There is no problem with the color after it passes through the red and green lenses. Very bright too!

When you have two bows, you need two bow rollers.......... heavy suckers (and Bob wanted me to keep the weight out of the ends!)

They will have to be attached very well as we will fly the tack of the asymmetrical off of the forward one........

post-8115-0-82804400-1377812733_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-95047000-1377812738_thumb.jpg

No Life Lines right? I know it is not customary on this kind of boat, but seems iike they would disappear at this scale.

Also wondering about how Frances Lee will compare to the rig donor Farr 40 in terms of speed potential. Sail Area/ displacement? Righting moment? Ballast ratio, etc. If you had to guess a PHRF rating, wha would it be?

No Life Lines right? I know it is not customary on this kind of boat, but seems iike they would disappear at this scale.

Also wondering about how Frances Lee will compare to the rig donor Farr 40 in terms of speed potential. Sail Area/ displacement? Righting moment? Ballast ratio, etc. If you had to guess a PHRF rating, wha would it be?

Who cares about her rating? I told Bob to design her to go through the water not to any rating rule. The Farr 40 and the Perry Sliver are completely different vessels. The fact the Farr 40 rig fit nicely was simply good luck and cost less than an aluminum rig. Cheers!

Tom:

What you propose re chopping off the stern would not work on this design. There is really no appreciable overhang aft. Or forward for that matter. This boat is already all sailing length. Nothing useless to chop off.

To do the chop of thing you would a stern with a long and elevated counter.

So if you chopped this one, you would wind up with a submerged transom. Of course, how could it be otherwise? Seems obvious now that you have pointed it out.

So what if Kim completely lost his marbles and said, "That was fun, Bob, but now let's do the same boat with a transom!" Would you change this one or start fresh?