kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

Olaf:

Lyman's are very famous old runaboats here. I imagine they ride just fine. I would guess that model was built in the early 60's.

Mr. Bitches:

When the time comes for you to paint your boot stripe I'll walk you through the process. It's very easy. In the case of FRANCIS LEE the slenderness of the hull just added some excitement.

I would be honored as always..this is really getting higher on the priority list, although the deck is seen by me when sailing, and I never see the hull. If I was smart, I'd do the deck first, so I could enjoy some of the cosmetic improvements and give myself a little practice with the Interlux Perfection, which is what I currently plan to use. As you know there ain't nothing slender about a Catalina 30. We all call them the "Fat Bottomed Girls" 'round these parts. B)

My newest "secret" while cooking pasta sauce is to use a couple spoons of red wine vinegar

I use milk with mashed spuds. Get's em fluffier.

Try a tablespoon or two of mayo in them mashed taters too..that is Mrs. Bitches' secret. :wub:

sheeesh, we're talking about food and you want to keep on about the Sliver project....priorities man!

Silly me, I thought my boom was going to be cream color.........

OK, so it is the zinc oxide or something like that.......

To be honest the green is kind of growing on me, with the green spars and green tape for the boot stripe I am thinking you should dump the blue and go lime. Green is the new orange.

Silly me, I thought my boom was going to be cream color.........

OK, so it is the zinc oxide or something like that.......

To be honest the green is kind of growing on me, with the green spars and green tape for the boot stripe I am thinking you should dump the blue and go lime. Green is the new orange.

Our company logo has lime green in it, can't say I like it much, but I was in charge of the money and business side of the company, not marketing.

rafn-logo-110.gif

Fortunately we have covered up the green by now!

post-8115-0-19091900-1378868853_thumb.jpg

ST winches!!

Does WHL know about this??

;)

Gate, if you ever ventured beyond your litte nbyc, or if you raced elsewhere in a competitive fleet with others, you would begin to realize that what is "normal" practise in your home club is not necessarily typical for what goes on everywhere else all of the time.

Most cruiser oriented boats and cruiser-race boats have ST winches. I have raced on Farr 40's, 1D35's, Melges 24's, J35's, ILC 40, CM 1200, R Boats, Dragons to name a few - and none of them have ST winches for the jib or spinn. To this day, I still prefer Non-ST winches.
It is easy to see that ST winches are most suitable for Kim's boat for the sailing he will be doing, and doing a lot of it short-handed. Not to mention, that Kim has a TON of impressive sailing experience, a very solid knowledge base, with an impressive history of boat ownership to know what he prefers and wants on his beautiful Francis Lee.
However, they are NOT what everyone prefers, wants or needs depending on the boat, and the type of sailing they do.

Kim & Bob ... it looks amazing. Lots happening quickly, and frequent check-ins are required to keep up. I like that there are a bunch of folks who have not commented on this thread until very recently, who are starting to chime in. The excitement is building.

You both deserve to feel very proud.

ST winches!!

;)

Gate, if you ever ventured beyond your litte nbyc, or if you raced elsewhere in a competitive fleet with others, you would begin to realize that what is "normal" practise in your home club is not necessarily typical for what goes on everywhere else all of the time.

Most cruiser oriented boats and cruiser-race boats have ST winches. I have raced on Farr 40's, 1D35's, Melges 24's, J35's, ILC 40, CM 1200, R Boats, Dragons to name a few - and none of them have ST winches for the jib or spinn. To this day, I still prefer Non-ST winches.
It is easy to see that ST winches are most suitable for Kim's boat for the sailing he will be doing, and doing a lot of it short-handed. Not to mention, that Kim has a TON of impressive sailing experience, a very solid knowledge base, with an impressive history of boat ownership to know what he prefers and wants on his beautiful Francis Lee.
However, they are NOT what everyone prefers, wants or needs depending on the boat, and the type of sailing they do.

You don't have to put the sheet into the jaws..........you get to chose.......just like you can crank the main winch by hand or push the button......you chose.........but at least you get to chose.......

Booms:

I'm proud.

And tired.

I really don't want to wait up for my cat. But a Dad's got to do what a Dad has to do.

She is my little teenager.

They better get all those footprints off the keel bulb, those will slow you down... (sorry 'bout that, as a pair are mine!)

Add fresh grated nutmeg to mashed tatties. Scrummy.

Next morning, fry up the leftovers with cabbage for bubble and squeak; that's what it sounds like as it cooks. Best done with artery clogging lard or beef dripping.

ST winches!!

;)

I'm curious about the reasons for non self tailing. I get that if you have enough crew to have one tail and one grind, it is faster. Are there any other benefits I'm not thinking of?

non ST winches are easier to release on a tack, you can just pull the bitter end straight up and the coils come right off the winch. The ST mechanism gets in the way so you have to whip the coils off the winch.

Grew up on bubble and squeak. It was Sunday baked dinner left overs fried for breakfast. Yummmmm!

Must be served with HP sauce. Only the original will do.

150px-HP_Sauce.jpg

Grew up on bubble and squeak. It was Sunday baked dinner left overs fried for breakfast. Yummmmm!

Must be served with HP sauce. Only the original will do.

150px-HP_Sauce.jpg

Totally. As to the "original" comment - there ARE no substitutes.

Good heavens the army of sanders have descended on the Francis Lee. Eight guys sanding away what they sprayed on her yesterday.....

post-8115-0-85641100-1378923174_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-17608500-1378923180_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-05078600-1378923185_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-44046300-1378923190_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-08554600-1378923198_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-40533600-1378923205_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-54479200-1378923212_thumb.jpg

Good heavens the army of sanders have descended on the Francis Lee. Eight guys sanding away what they sprayed on her yesterday.....

Can they still tell when they've gotten back down to bare glass with all the dust flying and looking over those big filter masks?!

(I mean, I guess if you take off glass that makes it lighter too...)

Well, I have found that the HP Sauce you buy in BC is not the same as the HP Sauce I buy here in my area (US). Same bottle but different recipe.

The Canadian HP is thicker and lighter in color and tastes better.

Some gen ius in the US marketing department must have thought the mix needed tweaking for the American pallette.

Phooey.

^

Back in the days we used to buy Maui Style Pototato Chips in California that were the exact same as California Style Pototato Chips in Maui. :lol:

Sometimes.......... I asked my son to take a wrap off our primary STer's while I was trimming the kite. He leisurely reached over and gave the line a flick. We both watched all the wraps expand and jump off the winch, didn't even touch the self tailer arm. With that, 3,000 sq ft of kite dragged me down the deck till I wrapped it around another winch as I was being drug by.

But yea, for racing, st on the primaries are a pain.

non ST winches are easier to release on a tack, you can just pull the bitter end straight up and the coils come right off the winch. The ST mechanism gets in the way so you have to whip the coils off the winch.

What?

I didn't say we would not race her, I said she is not a race boat therefore it is OK to have ST winches.

Damn, I had visions of kicking ass all over Puget Sound.

You will on elapse time Bob, just might not correct out very well, but then again what do I know? You might even correct out well......if they will let her participate without lifelines...........

(Tim called her iconic today, I thought there already was a Perry Icon.......)

We can just put on the application for a rating "cruising double ender". That should work.

"iconic"? I'd like lots of icons in my church of yacht design.

What winches are you going for? Looks like Holmatro have stopped making the Meissner classic bronze winches - always thought it was the best looking winch out there. And what's the dog's danglies when it comes to sealing deck fittings. Is the butyl tape method really the top of the heap? Or is there some better method?

59449.jpg

I bought some Harken winches at a closeout about three years ago. That's when SWMBO realized I was serious about this project.

Jordan and the rest of the CSR Crew will know the best way to mount them.

I can't imagine not having self tailing winches today. They do get a cleat off the deck and turn a two man job into a one man job. Of course they are harder to strip but you can learn the technique. Kim will sail by himself quite a bit so self tailers are a no brainer here.

I do like the classy look of those Meissners though. And they also have the appeal of having the same name as the original bass player for the EAGLES.

The Eagles? What is that? One of those clubs for old guys or something?

We need a club for young guys. Hickory, about 15 pounds, 30" long, with a shot of lead in the business end.

I've been working with Butyl tape on all my through bolt bedding work. I think it's awesome.

We need a club for young guys. Hickory, about 15 pounds, 30" long, with a shot of lead in the business end.

You'll break your osteoporotic hip trying to swing that.

We can just put on the application for a rating "cruising double ender". That should work.

"iconic"? I'd like lots of icons in my church of yacht design.

I'd attend services there!

I've been working with Butyl tape on all my through bolt bedding work. I think it's awesome.

Black, Everything I re-bed on my 4KSB on deck is being done with butyl. None of my butyl stuff leaks, even in the first stanchion area on a Catalina 30 where it is notorious for standing water because it can't quite reach the scupper about one meter aft.

Can we have a dollop of garlic mashed potatoes instead of that round cracker/wafer thingy?

If that's possible I'm coming aboard too. B)

I'll buy one. Changing the law to forbid beating kids was one of the worst changes society ever made - just look at how these young assholes turned out.

Lakeboy:

Bless you my son.

Hey! That's my gig.

:D

Does anyone make convertible winches, where the self-tailer parts snap on and off quickly and easily?

I know about those horrible blue rubber things. I mean a real self-tailing mechanism.

I'll buy one. Changing the law to forbid beating kids was one of the worst changes society ever made - just look at how these young assholes turned out.

:ph34r:

Does anyone make convertible winches, where the self-tailer parts snap on and off quickly and easily?

I know about those horrible blue rubber things. I mean a real self-tailing mechanism.

The only part that really gets in the way is the metal bit sticking off the side that loads the line into the clincher right? Soooo maybe you can just take that off when you don't need it? On my barients, it's fairly easy to take those off, though I haven't tried screwing the retaining cap back on with that bit missing, not sure if it would still hold the winch together or not.

Boy, I've used a few self tailing winches when racing and I have never found it a big problem. You just pay attention to what you are doing.

The school I went to was one of those religious ones where they hit you with a strap nearly every day.

Just turned us into bigger assholes.

We turned out great Rugby teams though, pain meant nothing to us.

The school I went to in Australia as a kid hit us with sticks, "cains" usually varnished bamboo about 30" long, 3/8" OD. I got whacked about but I didnt care and I survived. I have no idea how it effected me.

Maybe having Mom and Dad in the mix instead of the "gubment" would help turn out a better breed of yungins? Paying single woman to have babies isn't working out so well and beating kids is no better.

When I got the cain I always knew exactly why I was getting it. I also knew I had made a poor, if fun, choice that got me into the vice principal''s office. He would make us sit outside his office for about half an hour while we pondered. Then we would line up for our "six". As I recall regulations limited them to six swipes of the cain. But my vice princip;e was a mean one and he would have you hold your hand out, palm up. Then he'd crack down on the palm with a good follow through and then come back up accross your knuckles on the upswing. "One!" I remember one day having my cuticles split and bleeding. But if I had complained to my parents the old kahki army belt would come out and there were no "regulations" in my house.

I really don't think I was "scarred for life". How would I know? But I didn't beat my kids. I'm dead certain my parents received more harsh treatment than I did. In their minds they probably thought they were going easy on me.

Maybe having Mom and Dad in the mix instead of the "gubment" would help turn out a better breed of yungins? Paying single woman to have babies isn't working out so well and beating kids is no better.

I WAS joking.

When I got the cain I always knew exactly why I was getting it. I also knew I had made a poor, if fun, choice that got me into the vice principal''s office. He would make us sit outside his office for about half an hour while we pondered. Then we would line up for our "six". As I recall regulations limited them to six swipes of the cain. But my vice princip;e was a mean one and he would have you hold your hand out, palm up. Then he'd crack down on the palm with a good follow through and then come back up accross your knuckles on the upswing. "One!" I remember one day having my cuticles split and bleeding. But if I had complained to my parents the old kahki army belt would come out and there were no "regulations" in my house.

I really don't think I was "scarred for life". How would I know? But I didn't beat my kids. I'm dead certain my parents received more harsh treatment than I did. In their minds they probably thought they were going easy on me.

I attended school in England from age 9 to 11. 5 of us got caught smoking in the can and were hauled to the headmasters study. He lined us up with me at one end and started down the line, caning each one with 6 across the palms. As he finished each one, the kid was sent back to class. When it came to my turn, as you can imagine after watching 4 of my friends get it, I was just shitting. He just glared at me and let me go.

Lakeboy:

Bless you my son.

Careful. People will starting referring you to Father Perry or some such...

The Right Reverend Robert H. Perry of the First Church of Proper Yacht Design.

Does kind of have a nice ring to it......

The Right Reverend Robert H. Perry of the First Church of FOYD.

Does kind of have a nice ring to it......

Fixed? just think, even the couch could be drug out of mothballs to be used again

" FOYD"?

Probably should never have started this theme.

If I were a spritual councelor I think I'd look the poor sufferring church member in the eye and say, "Well, you'l just have to HTFU, wont you?"

" FOYD"?

If I were a spritual councelor I think I'd look the poor sufferring church member in the eye and say, "Well, you'l just have to HTFU, wont you?"

Sometimes when someone is in crisis they fail to consider that the person telling them to stand fast just might have been there too, ya know. We are often blind to the experience of others when we are stuck in our problems, whatever they are.

"Nobody can save you but yourself. You will be put again and again into nearly impossible situations. They will attempt again and again through subterfuge, guise, and force to make you submit, quit and/or die quietly inside. But don't, don't, don't. It's a war not easily won, but if anything is worth winning then this is it. Nobody can save you but yourself, and you're worth saving." -- Charles Bukowski

I liked this thread much better when it was about Francis Lee.

Is that keel bolted on yet, Kimb?

Paddling little boys and church mixed together get you scared Sailby?

Me too actually. Just waiting for Kim to show up with the latest pics. I'll go down for sure next week and get my Sliver fix.

" FOYD"?

Yeah - you'd make the same kind of counellor as Lee Ermey. "Crybaby!"

" FOYD"?

Yeah - you'd make the same kind of counellor as Lee Ermey. "Crybaby!"

You all have seen the Bob Newhart skit, "Stop it," right?

And yes, I too, would like some more Francis Lee.

Before we can bolt on the keel we have to finish all of the current work, otherwise she will be quite a bit higher in the air and access will become a problem (remember, she draws 10 feet!)

We need to finish the deck/nonskid paint and mount all of the deck hardware before we think about the keel again, (although they did get the bulb to fin fillet nicely shaped and faired.)

Currently we have two coats of high-build sprayed and sanded and by the time you read this the second of the finish primer coats might have been applied. Here is the first finish primer coat as of around 3PM PDT this afternoon curing away so the second finish primer coat can be applied.

Patience please.....we don't want to rush the artisans when they are working.

post-8115-0-59388900-1379117884_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-95301500-1379117890_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-25505600-1379117895_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-93194700-1379117900_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-77066300-1379117905_thumb.jpg

Before we can bolt on the keel we have to finish all of the current work, otherwise she will be quite a bit higher in the air and access will become a problem (remember, she draws 10 feet!)

We need to finish the deck/nonskid paint and mount all of the deck hardware before we think about the keel again, (although they did get the bulb to fin fillet nicely shaped and faired.)

Currently we have two coats of high-build sprayed and sanded and by the time you read this the second of the finish primer coats might have been applied. Here is the first finish primer coat as of around 3PM PDT this afternoon curing away so the second finish primer coat can be applied.

very very noice.

Trickster:

Are you home?

How about Sunday dinner at the shack?

I have a craving for osso bucco.

Damn!! Your Osso Bucco. Still in Newport racing. Will PM.

I think this is the part where we learn that making a hull is actually the quick and easy part of building a boat. ;)

She is such a good looking shape (IMHO) that she deserves the best paint job we can get, so I am completely comfortable with the time necessary to get that paint job done right.

Actually they are moving right along with the work. We have had large crews on the job for the sanding efforts.

Patience will reward us with a nice vessel.

She is such a good looking shape (IMHO) that she deserves the best paint job we can get, so I am completely comfortable with the time necessary to get that paint job done right.

Actually they are moving right along with the work. We have had large crews on the job for the sanding efforts.

Patience will reward us with a nice vessel.

Nice? Nice????? A Valiant 40 is nice, a Swan is nice, this is a one of a kind, custom piece of beautiful art where a great design by a great designer is meticulously executed by a group of craftsmen. It's a work of art I'm telling you.

that is a trip SG, but spot on, even from a Seppo. :D

Kim, really looking nice..are those large holes in the deck at bow & stern ventilation stacks? Otherwise I'd think they are big hawse pipes for bow & stern anchors. :rolleyes:

Kim, really looking nice..are those large holes in the deck at bow & stern ventilation stacks? Otherwise I'd think they are big hawse pipes for bow & stern anchors. :rolleyes:

Do you mean the rudder tube which you are apparently counting twice??

Do you mean the rudder tube which you are apparently counting twice??

Plus the furling hole?

Ol fart, it ain't over till it's over, but if there's 17 races young James has to win all the rest, if it's 19 races he needs 9 of 11. He's good,,,,,,,,,,

HB, my yacht's tramsom, so does that tell you where I'm from?

post-25637-0-15736900-1379200071_thumb.jpg

Ol fart, it ain't over till it's over, but if there's 17 races young James has to win all the rest, if it's 19 races he needs 9 of 11. He's good,,,,,,,,,,

HB, my yacht's tramsom, so does that tell you where I'm from?

Yep, I figured that out.

I am blown away by the skills and racing in this AC series.

But there is an OZ vs NZ theme in this cup as well.

Paddling little boys and church mixed together get you scared Sailby?

Me too actually. Just waiting for Kim to show up with the latest pics. I'll go down for sure next week and get my Sliver fix.

I think this is the part where we learn that making a hull is actually the quick and easy part of building a boat. ;)

Yep. I think you're right, Tom.

Kimb:

Sorry about my impatience. It takes as long as it takes, right?

Bob:

Ha, ha. It's not so much the 'paddling', as the 'fiddling' and church (the micky doolans, anyway) that gets me on edge. Had my share of the former too. A rawhide strap rather than a cane though.

SG, I had no doubt you were from down there from previous discussions...and with all respect, Oracle has no chance given what I've seen so far, even if there aren't any more Americans aboard (I think).

And as Bob said, "goin' like hell"...a very nice yacht indeed!

Back on topic, (sorry...Kim), ah, rudder post..I keep forgetting this 60+' beauty will have a proper tiller! Thanks for enlightening me once again..Carry on! B)

SG, I had no doubt you were from down there from previous discussions...and with all respect, Oracle has no chance given what I've seen so far, even if there aren't any more Americans aboard (I think).

And as Bob said, "goin' like hell"...a very nice yacht indeed!

Back on topic, (sorry...Kim), ah, rudder post..I keep forgetting this 60+' beauty will have a proper tiller! Thanks for enlightening me once again..Carry on! B)

We are on the same page, HB! ETNZ rocks!!

As for that tiller .... I know that it will be a work of art, and I anxiously await the unveling of it. I met the gentleman making it, when I went to see the Sliver build the second time. He does amazing work with wood (I have seen the cabintry and some of the tables he has built for Kim and S., and it will no doubt be a fitting masterpiece.

Hey! I am rooting for Deno and the boys!

I would like the Cup to stay in SF but not in Larry's hands, let the Kiwis have it so we can have St. Francis YC go down and bring it back to SF under better management.