kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

Laser levels...pffft! the hull was squared up with a water level, right?

*hides under desk*

Calm water is not flat, but follows the curvature of the earth. Did you account for that?

(runs and hides)

Tom

I like that! It's right up there with the definition for a Hydroplane as a device for smoothing water

(hiding too)

Shouldn't that be a Hydroiron? :)

Excellent. B)

Even though I am a lot of posts behind, I also caught the, "hey that scaffolding is distorted..what's up with the hull? Oh wait, look on the other side of the Krylon can dumbass, the scaffolding is bent.." :rolleyes:

Tom:

What do you mean "curvature of the earth?"

This could change everything.

It does! It's the universal excuse! You didn't have to drive all the way down there. If the line was screwed up, just blame the curvature of the earth!

Kim - the photos of the deck look like the paint has a pearlescent sheen, almost like gelcoat, compared to the mirror finish on the hull. Is that the case or is it just the photos?

Kim - the photos of the deck look like the paint has a pearlescent sheen, almost like gelcoat, compared to the mirror finish on the hull. Is that the case or is it just the photos?

because we are covering so much of the deck paint with nonskid of another color (Moon Dust!? where do they get these names?) the crew prepped those areas with that in mind.

I expect the waterways and hull will look the same when all is said and done.

It's a good thing you don't need those skills in your day job.

I thought it was interesting that those were things you would never see on a hand-drafted drawing. The joys of computers...

Guess again Rev. My hand done drawings are scattered with mis spellings. The very first, very first, plans I ever had published came out on a full page of National Fisherman and in big, black ink letters in the title block was "Accomodations".

Truth is I still can't spell it and I had to spell check it now to make sure it was mis spelled.

Guess again Rev. My hand done drawings are scattered with mis spellings. The very first, very first, plans I ever had published came out on a full page of National Fisherman and in big, black ink letters in the title block was "Accomodations".

Truth is I still can't spell it and I had to spell check it now to make sure it was mis spelled.

Nice!

Thanks to the lack of spelling abilities of a former colleague, the US Army has some 1000 vehicles in which there is a box marked "guage cluster unit". For a couple of years after that anytime he would argue something the rebuttal was "guage"...

Nice!

Thanks to the lack of spelling abilities of a former colleague, the US Army has some 1000 vehicles in which there is a box marked "guage cluster unit". For a couple of years after that anytime he would argue something the rebuttal was "guage"...

Guage cluster would be a good name for a band.

Calm water is not flat, but follows the curvature of the earth.

The back of my envelope says that half way along the hull of this thing, the waterline was about 5 metres away from the straight line between bow and stern.

Knock-Nevis.gif

Wave action kind of makes it hard to measure such things. Now maybe we can try this sometime in flat calm with vessel at anchor?

Does that mean all ships of this size should be slightly hogged to travel over the surface well?

...after all, the docks they tie up to must be hogged.

Sorry for the lack of posts, not much going on except prepping for the non skid. Not very photogenic stuff.

But the keel got cleaned up more. Rumor is that non skid to be sprayed by the end of the week. Then we can get the deck hardware mounted and move towards having a real boat.

post-8115-0-05391000-1380736788_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-83779800-1380736795_thumb.jpg

One of our CA members here stops by to visit the project often. He uses the preferred method of transportation even when he is carrying boat hardware!

My kind of guy!!

(Sailing and Cycling, my favorite sports!)

post-8115-0-13287300-1380737467_thumb.jpg

I'll be watching for when she becomes more photogenic. Probably coming to Seattle this week or next and bring my old bud Stuart down after we check on his 59' purse senier at Fishermen's Terminal.

post-4773-0-73920400-1380739110_thumb.jpg

Keep posting these "nonphotogenic" , photos. Just a part of the prosess to making a great boat! So many steps to get the final product. All interesting and good finishes don't just happen, it takes a lot of work

I figured that aft hatch would open the other way, in case the boat is anchored stern-to.

Looks like that if they had done that, it would interfere with the rudderhead when open, and the hatch would be in the way of easy access.

Install it so it opens sideways? (Hides)

Install it so it opens sideways? (Hides)

Opens inward??

a little hard to open from on deck... but it would give Kim the chance to crawl through and inspect the cleanliness of the cockpit lockers!

b3.jpg

I figured that aft hatch would open the other way, in case the boat is anchored stern-to.

Joli:

No. that's not a bad option at all. I just don't see it as necessary. If I could think of a time when you would have to acces the laz from aft that would be a very good solution. But I can't.

We installed two hatches (fore and aft) that are reversible so we can leave the boat open while on the hook without worrying about rain. The forward hatch has deck levers so we can open it from on deck.

By the way Kim, the deck looks great! Can't wait to see it with the spar set, sails bent on, hanging on your mooring.

ab-1.jpg

Joli:

No. that's not a bad option at all. I just don't see it as necessary. If I could think of a time when you would have to acces the laz from aft that would be a very good solution. But I can't.

masking all done and the nonskid will be sprayed this afternoon and again tomorrow.....

We had to make a few small changes to Bob's layout but we tried as hard as possible to do like Bob drew it.

post-8115-0-08671900-1380921977_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-33423700-1380921983_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-10944100-1380921990_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-88540200-1380922001_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-79350800-1380922009_thumb.jpg

Why the asymmetry in the pattern about the mainsail winch pedestal?

To accommodate the clutch for the main sheet in case we want to use that winch for another task.

You're building to MIL-TP41 then.

Make It Like The Print For Once.

masking all done and the nonskid will be sprayed this afternoon and again tomorrow.....

We had to make a few small changes to Bob's layout but we tried as hard as possible to do like Bob drew it.

Bob and I visited the unwrapped boat today.

Don't know why the first couple pictures have weird light......the last four are the actual colors....

post-8115-0-00245000-1381182387_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-08014800-1381182394_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-62090200-1381182399_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-53174200-1381182403_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-20204000-1381182408_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-04916400-1381182413_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-75642800-1381182417_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-34803500-1381182423_thumb.jpg

I threw a tantrum when I saw the "handle " on the hatch slider.

But other than that the boat is looking sweet. Kim and I take turns patting each other on the back.

But other than that the boat is looking sweet. Kim and I take turns patting each other on the back.

Jordan and I are already discussing what to do with the ugly "handle".........I think it will involve a SAW.

Yeah, it is sweet. Kim gets all silly and giggly when he's around the boat. I'm far more restrained appearing. But inside I'm silly and giggly too.

We are both like kids in a candy shop, eye candy shop.

Jordan and I are already discussing what to do with the ugly "handle".........I think it will involve a SAW.

If it's going to be that tall, it should have two nice, rounded holes in it. But why is it that tall?

Tom:

I noticed this immediatey. I alerted Kim to my concern. Kim is now aware . We will take care of it and no there will not be any holes.

Looks like Bruce got a bit carried away, he lost sight of the concept of clean, smooth and simple.

That also means low and stealthy.

We can forgive him because overall he did an outstanding job.

It's amazing what you can do with some tape. nice work is an understatement.

We installed two hatches (fore and aft) that are reversible so we can leave the boat open while on the hook without worrying about rain. The forward hatch has deck levers so we can open it from on deck.

By the way Kim, the deck looks great! Can't wait to see it with the spar set, sails bent on, hanging on your mooring.

ab-1.jpg

Joli:

Wow. Someone is flying their black anchor ball.

Hey Bob and Kim, where's WHL?

He is an incorrigible aesthete when it comes to boats and he's nowhere to be seen as the Sliver ever nears christening.

Tricky:

WHL had a quadruple bypass and a new heart valve installed. ( I think it's ok to say that now that he seems to be well on the mend.) He's still hard at work on the ND project but he is laying pretty low. I talked to him today, I tell him jokes just to make him feel the pain when he laughs. It's good for him.

So the marriage councelor is telling the husband how to have a happier marriage. He tells the guy, "Try not to start any sentances with "Your fucking mother,,,,,,".

Ouch. Quad bypass and a valve replacement is nothing to take lightly. Please pass on get well messages from the crew here! My dad sold open heart surgery equipment so that is a field I know a little too much about.

Ouf. Looks good, but big areas without non-slip on the coachroof? Might make for an interesting time when dropping the main?

Ouf. Looks good, but big areas without non-slip on the coachroof? Might make for an interesting time when dropping the main?

I thought that too for a moment but I had another look at the pdf attached to this post: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=120050&p=4332724 and saw that almost all the area on the coachroof without anti skid is either where the handrails are or is covered by the lines running from the mast base to the cockpit.

Thanks Sal. Correct. I am still amazed when some of you think we have not thought something out on this project. This project does not lack for "think time". I suspect we may run into an "oh shit" situation at some point. But we will deal with it.

This project has been very transparent to all here. It's been fairly obvious considering the lengthy discussions between Kim, Bob, Bruce, the shipwrights and apprentices; not to mention all the previous work and consultation by other engineers, boat builders, and sailors, the chance of even minor glitches are from slim to nil. I've seen a lot of very high dollar projects built over the years, and this project gets very high marks for the amount the forethought and planning.

Thanks Sal. Correct. I am still amazed when some of you think we have not thought something out on this project. This project does not lack for "think time". I suspect we may run into an "oh shit" situation at some point. But we will deal with it.

This is why I've been biting my tongue on the portside jibsheet vs coaming clearance.

For one thing, those winch drums probably stand taller than I think they do, and then there's the whole "I'm just looking at photos and drawings, they have mockups and the ACTUAL boat at hand"

But "amazed"? Really? Not just righteously quizzical or even mildly amused? :D

Keep in mind that this is a very narrow vessel. I don't think I will need to stand on the cabin top non skid very often.

As I walk around the deck (in my socks like I did yesterday) I find it very hard to believe she is 62 feet LOA, she seems much smaller which is exactly what I was trying to achieve. A small monohull vessel with the speed potential of a 62'er.

Please give Tim my best when you see him.

Do you know the one about the French lady with bugs in her bush?

Tricky:

WHL had a quadruple bypass and a new heart valve installed. ( I think it's ok to say that now that he seems to be well on the mend.) He's still hard at work on the ND project but he is laying pretty low. I talked to him today, I tell him jokes just to make him feel the pain when he laughs. It's good for him.

So the marriage councelor is telling the husband how to have a happier marriage. He tells the guy, "Try not to start any sentances with "Your fucking mother,,,,,,".

All the best to WHL....and how about a career change joke for him....

The gynecologist who became a mechanic

A gynecologist had become fed up with malpractice insurance and HMO paperwork, and was burned out. Hoping to try another career where skillful hands would be beneficial, he decided to become a mechanic. He went to the local technical college, signed up for evening classes, attended diligently, and learned all he could.

When the time of the practical exam approached, the gynecologist prepared carefully for weeks, and completed the exam with tremendous skill.

When the results came back, he was surprised to find that he had obtained a score of 150%. Fearing an error, he called the Instructor, saying, "I don't want to appear ungrateful for such an outstanding result, but I wonder if there is an error in the grade?"

The instructor said, "During the exam, you took the engine apart perfectly, which was worth 50% of the total mark. You put the engine back together again perfectly, which is also worth 50% of the mark." After a pause, the instructor added, "I gave you an extra 50% because you did it all through the muffler, which I've never seen done in my entire career!"

PE,

I thought that too, but decided, given how skinny the boat is, and how much "thought" as Bob puts it has gone into this, that they've probably got it covered. Also, I'd guess it's a lot easier to add some extra non-skid should that become necessary than it is to remove non-skid that you decided you didn't need. Given all that, I decided to keep my mouth shut. But I did think it too!

Crash

As I've said before, she's not my boat so my opinion is worth 1/2 of bugger all, but yes, personally, when dropping the main when you're knackered at zero dark sparrowfart, and a wash comes past, I would prefer not to have to worry when I put my foot back that it's going to slip out from under me. But, not my boat so not my decision. If Kim's happy, then Kim's happy. He does have a lovely boat.

Is there going to be a nice metal cap to the rudderstock, with name and date?

18Tiller.jpg

20Tillerdetail.jpg

Figgers:

There is a turning block on the deck outboard and forward of the port jib sheet winch that allows the sheet to slide by the coaming. There is also sufficient width to the top of the winch base molding to move the winch outboard IF required.

The deck plan has been popsted. It's all there. But you have to look.

As I've said before, she's not my boat so my opinion is worth 1/2 of bugger all, but yes, personally, when dropping the main when you're knackered at zero dark sparrowfart, and a wash comes past, I would prefer not to have to worry when I put my foot back that it's going to slip out from under me. But, not my boat so not my decision. If Kim's happy, then Kim's happy. He does have a lovely boat.

The area without the nonskid on the cabin top will be populated with a SS handrail and many lines running between the cabin top winches and the organizers near the mast. NOT a place you want to place your feet under any circumstances. Otherwise we would have put nonskid there too.

Cheers

post-8115-0-84368500-1381330567_thumb.jpg

No fancy name on the tiller head. But they way I designed it there is a place we could do something. Not sure we need to though.