kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

furler now installed so we can map out the route of the under-deck furling line. I think I have most of it figured out, all except that all important "where it appears in the cockpit problem".

No worries we have a bunch of experienced hands now working on this phase of the project and I am sure we will come up with some clever.

post-8115-0-88225100-1381369018_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-88579700-1381369031_thumb.jpg

Engine panel in, cockpit seat hatch hinges and hold downs in....traveler in......electric main winch in (but no control button yet.....)

post-8115-0-16940700-1381369108_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-82391100-1381369119_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-75351700-1381369147_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-79858500-1381369157_thumb.jpg

Tides Strong Track System has arrived and will go on mast soon.

Sail maker and I decided on full length battens for all battens today instead of just the top two or three.

The delivery sails are coming first 10 ounce Dacron main and 9 ounce Dacron jib. Good old fashion durable sails.

Fancy sails will be considered later after we sort her out and get to know her better.

Several sail cloth makers (who will not be named) were rather worried about what they considered too much vessel stability for some of the other options we considered. I guess the 10 foot keel with bulb kind of freaked them out a bit.

post-8115-0-29992300-1381369603_thumb.jpg

Stopped by on way to work. With big black winches, alu hatches, and stainless grab rails, she is starting to look more serious and purposeful. I like the emerging balance of traditional and modern, purely aesthetic elements and no nonsense functionality.

Boy, you turn your back for a minute and it starts to look like a boat!

I'll swing by on Monday after Kim and I deliver a talk to the CCA group in Seattle.

If I were the excitable type I'd be getting excited now.

Boy, you turn your back for a minute and it starts to look like a boat!

I'll swing by on Monday after Kim and I deliver a talk to the CCA group in Seattle.

If I were the excitable type I'd be getting excited now.

Fortunately Bob and I are staid old men and we are very calm even at this stage of the project..........well kind of........

post-8115-0-63887800-1381412894_thumb.jpg

A "staid old man"? It's come to that?

I was just listening to a song by Hank Williams III, the grandson of the original Hank. I have a David Allen Coe station on my Pandora.

The song was DICK IN DIXIE.

The churus goes, " I'm here to put the dick back in Dixie and the cunt back in country"

I'm not going down without a fight.

I was just listening to a song by Hank Williams III, the grandson of the original Hank. I have a David Allen Coe station on my Pandora.

The churus goes, " I'm here to put the dick back in Dixie and the cunt back in country"

Bob, I hope you're not still listening to Pandora on computer speakers. You should route computer- and ipod-based stuff to your hifi. E-mail me if you want to know how.

Keith, yes I am. I'll email you.

But I must tell you my computer speakers with their little bass box sounds amazingly good. It's very "near field".

Besides, Max bought that setup for me for Christmas.

Bob, I hope you're not still listening to Pandora on computer speakers. You should route computer- and ipod-based stuff to your hifi. E-mail me if you want to know how.

Can you put it out for all to see? I'd love to port my computer through my big stereo.

after Kim and I deliver a talk to the CCA group in Seattle.

Isn't that a group that's excommunicated you by now?!

Can you put it out for all to see? I'd love to port my computer through my big stereo.

Ish, Apple Airplay. If you have optical audio on your hifi use an AppleTV device, if not use an Airport Express. The Express has a 1/8 stereo mini plug audio output. Use a cable with 1/8 mini on one end and stereo RCA on the other which connects to the hifi.

The computer connects to the stereo via wired or wireless ethernet, compatible with either of the Apple devices. On iOS devices like an iphone or ipad the Music app and others like Pandora have the ability to route sound to the devices connected to your stereo. On a computer there is a piece of software called Airfoil that routes the sound associated with a browser or any other Windows computer app via Airplay.

Further, if you have an Apple TV and have connected it to a TV using HDMI not only the sound but the picture can be sent via Airplay (works for iOS devices but Airfoil just routes sound). Also, wired ethernet is recommended for video.

Zedder:

Well, yes and know. The talk will be given at Seattle Yacht Club. They gave me the boot for running naked through the dining room. That's the common version anyway. There were extenuating circumstances.

But I am still in good standing with the CCA. I'm not a member so I don't think they can kick me out.

The keel is on!

The keel is on!

I won't post pics. I'll leave that for Kim but I can tell you that the boat looks spectacular with the keel on.

I am very excited,,,,for a staid old man.

Bob, somehow "staid" and "running naked through the dining room" don't seem consistent.

The keel is on!

The keel is on!

I won't post pics. I'll leave that for Kim but I can tell you that the boat looks spectacular with the keel on.

I am very excited,,,,for a staid old man.

Frickin TEASE!!

Bob, somehow "staid" and "running naked through the dining room" don't seem consistent.

"staid" and "running naked through the dining room" = Walking naked through the dining room with great dignity" There you go.

OK, maybe one for now....I am at working right now trying to make enough money to pay for this obsession

post-8115-0-11420600-1381436396_thumb.jpg

OK, maybe one for now....I am at working right now trying to make enough money to pay for this obsession

Damn that's a long reach to mask off for bottom paint! Can a staid old man climb that tall of a ladder (wearing clothes, of course)?

You (we) may be geezers but you (we) ain't old from what I can tell.

Old is a state of mind, not an age.

Ohhhhhhh. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah baby. :wub:

That's some arse. Can't wait to see a full frontal!

Edited by Sailbydate

Ohhhhhhh. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah baby. :wub:

That's some arse. Can't wait to see a full frontal!

ask and you shall receive.....(well sometimes you will........)

post-8115-0-10415600-1381438401_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-57511300-1381438407_thumb.jpg

might as well add a few more......lots of measuring going on......

post-8115-0-54469600-1381438558_thumb.jp

THAT is effing impressive.

Where's that golf-clap thingy now?

That bottom shape looks like speed to my eye.

It is a daysailor designed by a staid old man who does cruising boats. Should be rated at around 100 PHRF, don't you think? Anything lower would be unfair.....

Boomer, can you please get one of your cameras to Kim stat?

Much better that Boomer goes to Ballard with a brace of his cameras, he is a master at using them.

If I'd been installing the keel I'd have put it on backwards just to wind you up... :)

See how staid you are!

Looking great Kim!

Kim, do you have a white balance adjustment on your camera?

How would I know? It is an iPhone5

If I'd been installing the keel I'd have put it on backwards just to wind you up... :)

See how staid you are!

Looking great Kim!

How would I l know, both ends are pointy.....

I am not familiar with the iPhone but in the settings for the camera there may be a white balance or "lighting" adjustment. If there is you might be able to set it to "shade" which will warm up the shots.

Woo Hoo!

I'm out mowing the lawn and you sneak this in!

Beautiful.

post-8115-0-11420600-1381436396_thumb.jp

I thought for a second the keel was on backwards... Oh yeah, stern, yeah..

Very exciting! Everything is coming together quickly now!

iPhone cameras are lousy in low light. I haven't found a way to get better pics in low light either, and the flash on the phone would be useless in that huge space. I'll take whatever pics I can get, though!

No, there's something specific. Kim's pix are either really good balance or that hideous mercury vapor look. It looks like the camera is switching in between the two balance modes, and messing with the exposure, too. At least going by the order of the pictures.

Edit: and now it's stuck in ugly mode.

It was a few years ago.

YC Maitre d's all over the country break out into a sweat when I walk in.

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

"We're a crappy old group, really. But we know how to have fun."

- Pete Townshend

Man this is getting good

Stupid i-products. (sorry Kim.)

147" corner to corner is impressive.

Bob, thanks for providing some respite for the dogs. :D

I'm so happy now I'm going to skip the dogs regular nightly beating tonight.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

kdh, you are not helping...The best man of my starter marriage had that as a bumper sticker on his car. He had a J/36 and was in a wheelchair for 64 of his 66 years. B) We had refrigerator rollers on a Harken traveler system on the aft deck and tacked him just like the traveler.

He was a cool dude and one of my best friends. Oh, and he died on my birthday, so, it is easy to remember to check in with his widow...she's a little crazy but a good egg..they married about age 21 or so and she literally hauled his ass around for 40+ years .. :rolleyes:

We had refrigerator rollers on a Harken traveler system on the aft deck and tacked him just like the traveler.

.. :rolleyes:

:D :D That is one of the best sailing stories ever!

I'm so happy now I'm going to skip the dogs regular nightly beating tonight.

Expose this.

Kim, Bob

That looks truly spectacular. Thanks for sharing. Well worthbwaitying for after Bob posted the teaser.

Zedder:

But I am still in good standing with the CCA. I'm not a member so I don't think they can kick me out.

Forget membership - aren't you permanent persona non grata for crimes against overhangs and generally being a confirmed waterline-lover?

Yeah, maybe I am. I'll have to be sure to rub that in good on Monday when I talk.

Doug Fryer will be there. He owns NIGHT RUNNER and it is overhang challenged also.

Much better that Boomer goes to Ballard with a brace of his cameras, he is a master at using them.

His photography for the School just won a Silver medal.

It looks great. The really funny thing is I was fooled for a moment by the stern.

"Oh my god, they put the keel on backards!"

Looking really good, and impressively precise. No adjustment necessary, I assume?

What colour antifouling?

Very little tweaking necessary, after all it was all done in CAD and CNC. (But Tim did fuss with it because he wants everything as good as possible, that's why the boat is in his shop.)

Bottom paint will be Black Ultra.

Yeah, maybe I am. I'll have to be sure to rub that in good on Monday when I talk.

Doug Fryer will be there. He owns NIGHT RUNNER and it is overhang challenged also.

There is no substitute for LWL

Very little tweaking necessary, after all it was all done in CAD and CNC. (But Tim did fuss with it because he wants everything as good as possible, that's why the boat is in his shop.)

Unlike most people, you're actually getting the boat that was drawn...

Austin:

Long time no see.

Harvest and 14 hours/day @ my real work make Austin a busy boy.

I've had just over 6 hours of sleep since Monday for example.

Make hay, as they say.

I never got my graphic team on the logo beyond a sketch. I have nowhere/one to do it right now. The pipeline has been stuffed.

And we bought a house in town during the whole thing. Oy veh.

Been fun. Just produced a video for a new local H.S. trying to find it's identity for Homecoming (they had no alum coming back for H.C. and no school pride).

https://vimeo.com/76348503

So you have harvest and cows/steers? Sounds like a lot of work to me. I still have my cow fantacy going. If I ever move off the beach I'll move inland into dairy farm country. I'd like a house next door to a dairy farm so I can watch.

Cattle/hogs/corn/beans/hay. It's my 2nd job. It is lots of work but I'm not complaining.

Move next to a dairy farmer and they're likely to put you to work, Bob.

If you can get some artisan cheeses out of it, it's probably a good deal.

His photography for the School just won a Silver medal.

That's not a surprise, he takes GREAT photos!!

Austin:

I'd love to be put to work. I think about it every time I drive to the grocery store. I pass three dairy farms. The problem is that Bob don't do shovels. And, I'm concerned what my dog Ruby would do confronted with all that shit. I think I would be better at brushing the cattle down, feeding them beer and arranging the blankets over them so they stay warm.

I'd be an awful dairy farmer. I'd get so attached to the beasts that I'd end up sleeping in the barn with them. "Woud tou like a little Mozart?"

You guys know me as an ass hole but I am a really good guy to animals. I am picky about who my friends are.

You guys know me as an ass hole but I am a really good guy to animals. I am picky about who my friends are.

Bob, I know a number of ass holes, I have friends that are ass holes, you sir are no ass hole (try as you might.)

I would be better at brushing the cattle down, feeding them beer and arranging the blankets over them so they stay warm.

I'd be an awful dairy farmer. I'd get so attached to the beasts that I'd end up sleeping in the barn with them. "Woud tou like a little Mozart?"

Bob, you'd be surprised about how close you actually are to reality with that...

http://dairygood.org/rock-on-classical-music-a-favorite-among-dairy-cows/

http://dairyspot.com/time-to-dig-out-the-winter-blankets

http://afsdairy.ca.uky.edu/extension/facilities/cowbrushes

http://www.cowtruck.com/wcms/index.php?Yup-Its-True-Our-Cows-Sleep-on-Waterbeds

Austin:

I looked at those links. I am impressed. Not sure about Beethoven though. So much of his music has a marshal tone to it. I think I'd play Schubert, Haydn and Faure for my cows. Maybe a litle Ravel if I had some gay cows.

Couldn't watch the link with Bill Hemme in it. No way. He is my very most UN-favorite news guy on tv. He is TV anchor cheese personified. When he comes on I'll gladly hurt myself diving for the remote.

I really like the blankets. When do you order yours?

After the fitting and measuring and fitting again yesterday, the actual keel installation is happening today.....the boat will now always be TALL!

post-8115-0-58881400-1381513544_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-26910100-1381513549_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-99283500-1381513553_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-73037600-1381513561_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-74898100-1381513566_thumb.jpg

Is anyone working down below wiring and plumbing Kim?

Most of the wiring and plumbing will be done by ME, my sons, my brother-in-law and friends at my home dock when I get her there. Also lots of cherry wood trim, cherry and ash cabin sole, installation of the C-Head, depth sounder readout, lights, berth flats, cushions, galley drawers, hanging racks, etc.

I can't let all of these other guys have all of the fun!!

Remarkable boat. What will it have for power?

Is anyone working down below wiring and plumbing Kim?

Most of the wiring and plumbing will be done by ME, my sons, my brother-in-law and friends at my home dock when I get her there. Also lots of cherry wood trim, cherry and ash cabin sole, installation of the C-Head, depth sounder readout, lights, berth flats, cushions, galley drawers, hanging racks, etc.

I can't let all of these other guys have all of the fun!!

Hang a GoPro or two set to take pics at intervals to capture the action. The pics can then be made into a timelapse movie of the transformation. They can also be reference in the future if/when someone has to disassemble something.

Just read the Sliver write up in Epoxyworks. We certainly are way past that point now (I realize that was probably written this summer), but I also bet a build like this is pretty cool for the Gougeon family too, since a lot of their stories about about 20' canoes and stuff, so a 62' 'daysailor' is pretty exciting. B)

It already has it. 40hp Yanmar with sail drive. Should slip along just fine.

Yanmar 3JH4C with SD50 saildrive

post-8115-0-48920600-1381683932_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-19237300-1381683952_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-90958000-1381683963_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-23257800-1381683978_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-51502600-1381683988_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-00493000-1381684000_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-65093100-1381684015_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-88993500-1381684036_thumb.jpg

Ten knots here we come!

With 40 Hp and that 4 blade prop, ten & a half perhaps?

Ten knots here we come!

With 40 Hp and that 4 blade prop, ten & a half perhaps?

The 24 HP Volvo sail-drive in my Swede 55 drove her to 9+ knots WOT and cruised easy at 8+ knots.

The Swede weighed about the same as the Francis Lee how ever the FL has FIFTEEN feet more waterline at about the same beam (9'10" vs 9'8") as the Swede, so I suspect the Yanmar will drive the FL to 10+ knots at WOT and cruise at 9+ knots.

The Swede had a two blade MaxiProp and the FL will have a four blade MaxiProp.

It will be much nicer to see you sailing by than powering by...

That's why Bob gave her great sailing qualities, I vastly prefer to sail rather than power.

Was there ever any thought of electric propulsion? Seems like it might be a good option for a boat that is primarily daysailed, although I can't remember if you have power at your dock. (Pardon if this was asked before but with 70+ pages it would take me a week to re-read...)