kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

If you are not a part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

What does "going forward" mean?

What exactly is a "paradigm shift"?

empress.jpg

empress.jpg

Ah...so that's a 'Paradigm Shift'.

Why are projects tough to manage? 'Cause we are hardwired to think linearly and projects by their nature are non-liner. Its a recipe for having things blow up in your face.

..over and over.

-jim lee

I have been very lucky with almost everyone who has worked on my project.

Now if we can just get her finished and in the water......

Here is what one of the rub rails looks like. Nice little bit of practical sparkle! Should go well with the polished SS hand rails.......

(That's our mast peaking out down below, spreaders are getting sorted out.)

These rub strips are just where cleats and mooring lines cross the rail? Or continuous? Very nice either way!

empress.jpg

So the Empress Hotel is... going forward? A paradigm shift? I'm confused-- is it tea time? Does Thomas Kuhn know the answers?

empress.jpg

So the Empress Hotel is... going forward? A paradigm shift? I'm confused-- is it tea time? Does Thomas Kuhn know the answers?

A2, read the transom.

I have been very lucky with almost everyone who has worked on my project.

Now if we can just get her finished and in the water......

Here is what one of the rub rails looks like. Nice little bit of practical sparkle! Should go well with the polished SS hand rails.......

(That's our mast peaking out down below, spreaders are getting sorted out.)

These rub strips are just where cleats and mooring lines cross the rail? Or continuous? Very nice either way!

Only where we need them.

"Going Forward" is pretentious asshole-speak for "in future" or "from now on".

"Paradigm Shift" is outdated (80's) pretentious asshole-speak for any significant change.

Both are fairly restricted to corporate game players who usually accomplish very little because they spend all their time keeping up with and using the latest bullshit bureaucatic jargon.

empress.jpg

This dock is 25 miles south of where we keep the boat, and we had never been there before. We sailed almost 1000 miles to get there. We got a huge perspective change on that trip.

Deleted,,,, for those who don't have it,,,,,,

Thank you, from the humourless frozen north.

A2, read the transom.

KD, got it the first time around. The boat (and name) are nice, but floating in for high tea at the Empress is even better.

empress.jpg

This dock is 25 miles south of where we keep the boat, and we had never been there before. We sailed almost 1000 miles to get there. We got a huge perspective change on that trip.

Maybe it is that Ishmael underwent a paradigm shift by going forward to the Empress Hotel for high tea... Hope you had some clean dress clothes left after 1000 miles! :rolleyes:

"Going Forward" is pretentious asshole-speak for "in future" or "from now on".

"Paradigm Shift" is outdated (80's) pretentious asshole-speak for any significant change.

Both are fairly restricted to corporate game players who usually accomplish very little because they spend all their time keeping up with and using the latest bullshit bureaucatic jargon.

This is why I no longer work at a corporation. The money isn't near what I used to get but I just live more frugally and keep my soul intact.

No more low hanging fruit. No thinking outside the box.

Who the hell crawls into a box to do their thinking anyhow?

Kim and Bob sure didn't with the Francis Lee!

Kim I feel your pain. I'm sure you are itching to get her in the water. I'm hoping to get my "new" boat here by Thanksgiving but that will be a stretch. With the other boat sold I am boatless for a few weeks right as the sailing weather has become great.

Strong words from a guy who is wearing a paper bag on his head... :rolleyes:

My current boss has the attitude that you can't raise an issue unless you have a solution to present as well... hopefully the building never catches fire!

My current boss has the attitude that you can't raise an issue unless you have a solution to present as well... hopefully the building never catches fire!

Probably regards himself as a strong and demanding boss too - what an idiot.

If you had the fuckin' solution, there wouldn't BE an issue to raise.

+10

Tried to make this point at a meeting recently.........

+10

Let me come at it from the other side. Problems are easy to spot, solutions not so much. He's just trying to get his people to take a little ownership.

The problem is that the people who need to know the answers are denying that they are the problem. I was pegged at one point as "quick to jump to conclusions. unfortunately, he is usually right". That got me a long way.

+10

Let me come at it from the other side. Problems are easy to spot, solutions not so much. He's just trying to get his people to take a little ownership.

Well, working at a corporate run sawmill, thinking INSIDE the box seems to happen a bit,

Got to work on Tuesday and got told that I can't use power tools or a ladder because I haven't been "trained", I've been a tradesman for the last 15+ years, so someone who doesn't know how to use power tool's or a ladder "teaches" me, But it's all good because that person is trained to be a trainer!

6 hours of my charged time down the toilet because of that.

THEN, now, conversion rate from the sawmill is down (volume of wood going in compared to going out), so one wise guy decides it is because machine operator's are putting wood down the waste gates (ie made into chip and sold as chip) that should be made into lumber.

Fair enough comment, reasonable people would retrain the machine operators, But, Nooo.

Let's disable all the waste gates!

Going to be a fun day on Monday!

You have to staple your way well into a box to think like that!

Kim, you have patience, I'd be screaming "put the dam thing in the water, I want to sail it already" by now.

It's your patience that has made this boat such good build until now, well done for sticking with it!

FD

Ish, where is that hotel? Would love to have a look if it is the area.

Downtown Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Had tea there once, long ago.

681x454.jpg

http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/

http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/map/mapanddirections/

Ish, where is that hotel? Would love to have a look if it is the area.

You need to be at that dock on a summer evening. A PNW jewel. My 34 yo daughter still talks about the 3 days we spent alongside when she was 13. Wonderful location.

Wont be summer, but will have tea on or around the 16th December.

Thanks for the link Salazar.

Is it worth staying a night on that date even though it is winter?

Sorry to derail Kim!

Please answer on the travelling to OR, WA thread I started!

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=152714

Ad,

No worries, we have stayed at that hotel (The Empress) on several occasions and find it a journey back in time. I would say it is worth it to stay there.

When will you be in Seattle? We should be able to arrange some sort of showing of the Francis Lee if you are interested.

PM me or contact me through Bob.

Kim

I have to disagree about staying at the Empress. The single worst night in a hotel we ever experienced was there - EVERYTHING was bad from the 1/2 mile walk to the dinky room to the lumpy mattress, to the overheated room to the price.

Think REALLY bad but pretentious British hotel and you'll be close. Fawlty Towers without the comic relief.

The famous "Tea at the Empress" is insanely overpriced - think the most qrotesque room service prices you ever saw.

The whole place is a gigantic myth.

The docks in front of it on the other hand......

The docks downtown are great fun year round, provided it hasn't snowed. If it snows, Victoria's snow management consists of waiting for it to melt.

The Empress is indeed horribly overpriced. For tea, two blocks away is a little place called the "James Bay Tea Room". Far better service, much better value.

well it has been a time since we stayed there, it was before the Fairmont took over, sad to hear it isn't what it once was......

The docks downtown are great fun year round, provided it hasn't snowed. If it snows, Victoria's snow management consists of waiting for it to melt.

The Empress is indeed horribly overpriced. For tea, two blocks away is a little place called the "James Bay Tea Room". Far better service, much better value.

I agree, Rev. Ish. I very recently stayed at the Magnolia Hotel in Victoria and there or Parkside Hotel, would be my choice for accommodation over the Empress. High Tea at the White Heather Tea Room in Oak Bay was wonderful and the food was far fresher and half the price as at the Empress.

Kim, we are looking forward to seeing pics when you get to see your boat again, soon.

Kim, we are looking forward to seeing pics when you get to see your boat again, soon.

We are, indeed.

+1. Ours is out of the water and also for the winter. I'm counting on you to get me through the winter. ;-)

None at all, Kim. I can feel the shakes coming on already. <GRIN>

You need to have a stern word with your project manager Kim.

You mean with me? (I am the project manager)

I think a stern word with the people who bought Navtec would be more to the point.

and to bring this whole bit together, i think you need to have a stern and pointed conversation with him/you. I hear Mr. Perry is adept at all things involving pointed sterns.

coat, hat.

Ad,

No worries, we have stayed at that hotel (The Empress) on several occasions and find it a journey back in time. I would say it is worth it to stay there.

When will you be in Seattle? We should be able to arrange some sort of showing of the Francis Lee if you are interested.

PM me or contact me through Bob.

Kim

Thanks for the understanding Kim!

Are you kidding! My left nut just busted! Would love to see over the Francis Lee!!!

Thanks all for the tips.

Strong words from a guy who is wearing a paper bag on his head... :rolleyes:

Well, yeah. You don't have to crawl into it and they give them away for free.

Duh!

Electrical panel and battery switches are installed....backing plates....

Position of that bulkhead hand-grab looks a bit odd to my eye.

Was that a structural strength consideration - to have it off centre of that curve? Slightly better positioning if you're standing I guess.

I'd be inclined to drill a second outside hole and join them in parallel, as an elongated grab, FWIW.

Just sayin. But I'm happy to piss off and mind my own business too. :)

Electrical panel and battery switches are installed....backing plates....

Position of that bulkhead hand-grab looks a bit odd to my eye.

Was that a structural strength consideration - to have it off centre of that curve? Slightly better positioning if you're standing I guess.

I'd be inclined to drill a second outside hole and join them in parallel, as an elongated grab, FWIW.

Just sayin. But I'm happy to piss off and mind my own business too. :)

The hand grab circle fits my natural hand position perfectly. That's why it is located where it is..

Sailby:

Sometimes it's asking too much to expect people to look at the drawing. Yes, that hole is off. But what can I do? It should have been, naturally, concentric with the radius of the bulkhead. I can draw it but do I have to hold the saw?

Could that not be milled out more to make it match the natural sweep without losing too much strength?

I will not let it bother me. It is a small deal.

Some day I will get T shirts made that say, "Just look at the fucking drawing".

Sailby:

Sometimes it's asking too much to expect people to look at the drawing. Yes, that hole is off. But what can I do? It should have been, naturally, concentric with the radius of the bulkhead. I can draw it but do I have to hold the saw?

Thanks, Bob. Geez, that's frustrating.

I admit that's the sort of thing that would really piss me off (anal-retentive I know). In fact it would get up my nose so much, I'd have to have it re-done.

But Kimb says he's happy with it and it's his money, so I guess all's well, eh?

Sailby:

Thanks, Bob. Geez, that's frustrating.

I admit that's the sort of thing that would really piss me off (anal-retentive I know). In fact it would get up my nose so much, I'd have to have it re-done.

But Kimb says he's happy with it and it's his money, so I guess all's well, eh?

What would annoy me is if some twit put it somewhere that just look good with no consideration as to it's use.

But that's just me.

Looking good Kim.

I will not let it bother me. It is a small deal.

You sound like an engineer there Bob.

Sailby:

Where drawn it compromised some of Nolan's reinforcing and where it is fits my hand in its natural position. Sometime practicality rules out over design, not often, but once in a while.

I usually go with Bob's drawing, this was one of those very rare times I did not. I was kind of hoping no one would notice, (but of course I knew it would not escape Bob's practiced eye.)

My call, I am happy with it, sorry to offend the rest of you (actually I only really care if I offend Bob, but he and I understand each other.)

(I am surprised none of you see that I also made it smaller than the drawing in order to fit it outside of Nolan's reinforcing.)

To me it was such a small detail. I owe it to Kim that the holes got cut in at all. They were left out initially. I did not feel it was worth complaining about. Pragmatic considerations are paramount. Many a builder has saved my ass by not building a detail the way I drew it.

Could that not be milled out more to make it match the natural sweep without losing too much strength?

Not without breaking into the extra reinforcements to that half bulkhead.

Nolan wanted that bulkhead to go to the cabin top, I wanted the open airiness of the half bulkheads (which is why Bob drew them as half bulkheads, he did it at my request) so Nolan added significant extra thickness to the outer unsupported edge of the half bulkhead right where Bob drew the 8" hand holds. So that's why the handholds are 6" and offset. Completely my call.

I like where they are and they feel very nice when I grab them as I have tried them out from all angles. Jordan and I fussed over that detail for a long time before we drilled them. (That was a long time ago and you quality control guys are just now noticing them?)

And that, friends, is what makes an undertaking like this so endlessly gratifying.

Kim will sail this boat knowing exactly where and how everything is, and why.

Bravo.

Bob has said I will know my boat better than most owners, (this is assuming I live long enough to actually get to sail her......)

......so no one holds stock on hand any more because they can;t afford to pay for inventory.

I'm in just such an industry, and we carry inventory. Perversely, the only reason we can afford to do so is because nobody else does, which means we get to triple our margin when someone can't wait for the factory to make X Y or Z.

Customer reaction to this is split roughly 50-50. 50% think we're the greatest thing since birth control, 50% think we're whoring thieves.

It's a mad mad world.

I've seen a company pay $2,000 for a $500 part, it is actually very normal in an industrial setting to do so rather than wait for a new batch to be made from the company supplier under warranty. Many of not most companies are will to roll the dice on getting ripped off on a small part down the road rather than stocking a massive inventory, especially if investors are involved for some reason. Maintenance departments hate it when the order to have another one on hand through the supplier is then stopped, after the fact and they have just returned from the airport, but usually can't get past the bean counters.

Agreed.

In my case, I've been waiting almost a month for a lift pump for a John Deere industrial Diesel that Kohler supposedly has in stock. Crazy. If It did't invalidate the warranty, I'd find a pump and get the damn thing running.

Can't rent a genset in the interm.

......so no one holds stock on hand any more because they can;t afford to pay for inventory.

I'm in just such an industry, and we carry inventory. Perversely, the only reason we can afford to do so is because nobody else does, which means we get to triple our margin when someone can't wait for the factory to make X Y or Z.

Customer reaction to this is split roughly 50-50. 50% think we're the greatest thing since birth control, 50% think we're whoring thieves.

It's a mad mad world.

I've seen a company pay $2,000 for a $500 part, it is actually very normal in an industrial setting to do so rather than wait for a new batch to be made from the company supplier under warranty. Many of not most companies are will to roll the dice on getting ripped off on a small part down the road rather than stocking a massive inventory, especially if investors are involved for some reason. Maintenance departments hate it when the order to have another one on hand through the supplier is then stopped, after the fact and they have just returned from the airport, but usually can't get past the bean counters.

Agreed.

In my case, I've been waiting almost a month for a lift pump for a John Deere industrial Diesel that Kohler supposedly has in stock. Crazy. If It did't invalidate the warranty, I'd find a pump and get the damn thing running.

Can't rent a genset in the interm.

Actually, it would take 2 to provide the feeds I need and that is our backup solution. Just impacts the "transportable" part of it as it goes from a single "prime mover" to a caravan of trucks and trailers. I'm frustrated because it failed with 93 hours on the genset and the Kohler response was pathetic.

Is it a Deere pump or kohler. NTIM. Had a Deere powered gen set with pump issues but it turned out to be fittings suction side seeking air.

Is it a Deere pump or kohler. NTIM. Had a Deere powered gen set with pump issues but it turned out to be fittings suction side seeking air.

Kohler tech diagnosed a pump failure. Tried to blame it on high lift from the tank. Spec allows 6'. My system is at 4' so that one was a head scratcher. IIRC, the pump PN is actually a GM part installed by JD. I'm considering an electric supply pump as a "belt and suspenders" approach to eliminate any high suction failures. Can't afford to have a failure prone system deployed.

Kim has bonded with each and every component of this boat. That's one beauty of keeping things simple.

I watched Kim try and bond himself to the toerail, if he had held still for another hour he'd be part of the construction.

I think I will try and bond myself to the tiller instead.....

If that is a secondary bond, epoxy is preferred.

Wraps are off, but I get confused as to which is the bow and which is the stern.......

Wow. Pretty.

Wraps are off, but I get confused as to which is the bow and which is the stern.......

Looks nice Kim! It is deceptive when I first look at a picture to tell whether it is bow or stern.

Nice looking job, Kimb.

Must be getting quite close to that launch splash soon.

I love the bow, but I still favor the stern.......that is the exact look I was hoping for.....

Wake? What wake???

That's the image I took to bed last night.

Then dreamed I was walking with the Queen of England. I had been schooled on the protocol but she kept diverting from the planned itinery and I did not know what to do, where to stand.

Bet it comes back from the printers saying "Just fook at the lucking drawing."

Looks beautiful Kim! I imagine you might get some disbelief when you tell folks she's a wooden boat. Sorry can't remember but did you leave any clear epoxy below to see the wood?

Bet it comes back from the printers saying "Just fook at the lucking drawing."

:)

Looks beautiful Kim! I imagine you might get some disbelief when you tell folks she's a wooden boat. Sorry can't remember but did you leave any clear epoxy below to see the wood?

I thought about it but then remembered I had all of the offcuts from the thru hulls etc to prove what was making up the various laminates. I also have the test panels from the hull to show its construction, so we are well equipped to illustrate the details of the vessel's construction.

(And the crew at the School was very vested in having the entire vessel look as good as possible. I need to check under the galley areas that will be hidden by the shelf units, the wood might show way down under there.)

How's it coming along, Kimb?

Hope you've got those Navtec 'party spoilers' under control.

I am preparing myself for the change in Sliver posts. I only read here every 3 days instead of everyday. Addictions are sometimes tough to resolve but I think I have the upper hand.

Periodic sailing pics will suffice in the future.

I am preparing myself for the change in Sliver posts. I only read here every 3 days instead of everyday. Addictions are sometimes tough to resolve but I think I have the upper hand.

Periodic sailing pics will suffice in the future.

I agree. Especially for those of us with a vicarious, double-ender itch.

I was kind of hoping KDH's new thread would just happily take over for me and allow for a nice transition.

I have received communication that parts should arrive in early Dec. I will visit tomorrow and see if anything interesting has happened.

I delivered the Wallas diesel furnace late last week so hopefully that item (demanded by SWMBO) will be installed in the engine room sometime soon.

I was kind of hoping KDH's new thread would just happily take over for me and allow for a nice transition.

I have received communication that parts should arrive in early Dec. I will visit tomorrow and see if anything interesting has happened.

I delivered the Wallas diesel furnace late last week so hopefully that item (demanded by SWMBO) will be installed in the engine room sometime soon.

Don't know there's much chance of that, Kimb. Quail is a handsome craft, but she's not Francis Lee.

Sorry to keep pestering you, but this is one craft I can't wait to see power reaching. No pressure. :)

No kidding. This boat makes 'awesome' seem like a curse word.

Truly spectacular.

The School did an outstanding job.

Kim,

there is another very important stage for SA tragics and that's launching photos and after that, sailing photos. This thread has at least 9 months of life in it , especially if you (we) do Whidbey Island Race Week!! .. just sayin'................