kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

How did the saildrive boot get attached? On my boat, they wouldn't stay stuck on and usually were 'flapping in the breeze' so to speak when I hauled out. Consequently, I just left them off. Probably not optimum for performance, but maybe not so bad. I was always thinking about coming up with some mechanical fastening method but had no good, easily replaceable, options. Either there was another strip of some sort of material over the boot material (so not really flush) and/or putting some screws just into the glass and core seemed like a bad idea, especially when the time came to put a new boot on.

Leaving it off is a really, really, really bad idea.

aren't you using a Farr 40 rig?

A slightly modified Farr 40 rig, had to change the spreaders, a Farr 40 is quite a bit wider than the Francis Lee...and then there are a few other minor changes....

Saildrive boot is on and the MaxiProp should be next....

I know you're in a rush to get done and all, but isn't installing the saildrive with black duct tape a little much?

I believe that is just to hold it all on until the epoxy sets, cold and wet here in Seattle right now, cure time extended.......

How did the saildrive boot get attached? On my boat, they wouldn't stay stuck on and usually were 'flapping in the breeze' so to speak when I hauled out. Consequently, I just left them off. Probably not optimum for performance, but maybe not so bad. I was always thinking about coming up with some mechanical fastening method but had no good, easily replaceable, options. Either there was another strip of some sort of material over the boot material (so not really flush) and/or putting some screws just into the glass and core seemed like a bad idea, especially when the time came to put a new boot on.

Some sort of special epoxy, maybe GreatDane28 will check in and tell us the details.

Sailby: You need to plan a trip to the great Pacific Northwest. You can stay at Kim's house. It's quite a bit like where you live. Cold. Wet. Green. I have a fire going tonight so everything is just fine.

Sailby: You need to plan a trip to the great Pacific Northwest. You can stay at Kim's house. It's quite a bit like where you live. Cold. Wet. Green. I have a fire going tonight so everything is just fine.

Thanks, Bob. Generous of you to offer me accommodation at Kimb's house. Not sure SWMBO would welcome your hospitality on her behalf, or Kim for that matter. :)

But I note SWMBO has the good sense to insist Francis Lee has a heater installed. It must be cold up there, as you say.

Ad:

I hope you are bringing a jar of that shit with you when you come to visit the shack.

What shit Bob.

Fresh Vegemite from the Old Country. Not that fresh is any guarantee of quality, probably the longer it festers ferments the worse better it tastes.

Rub rails now all installed and looking rather nice. The more SS we add outside the better the boat seems to look. Good call to go without wood Bob, the SS is giving us that clean "today" look you suggested.

That's GreatDane28 in the last picture.

post-8115-0-18860400-1384920798_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-48146000-1384920803_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-75408600-1384920809_thumb.jpg

Sliding companionway hatch all installed and functional. Jordan (GreatDane28) does very nice top quality work.

post-8115-0-88064000-1384920926_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-19205100-1384920934_thumb.jpg

I did ask, thought he was ok for it.

Maybe it was in Bob sypher!

Ad, you need to go to his pantry, throw out that big old jar he bought when Elvis was still alive, and quietly replace it with a fresh one.

Don't ask him just do it.

Kim,

there is another very important stage for SA tragics and that's launching photos and after that, sailing photos. This thread has at least 9 months of life in it , especially if you (we) do Whidbey Island Race Week!! .. just sayin'................

9 months?

This boat is built to last, and since nothing lasts forever, it's also built to be repaired and maintained over time.

This thread will probably be interesting to whomever winds up owning this boat after we are all dead.

An interesting thought.... it can only add to the resale if one can see all the care and attention that went into her build.

But then Sliver has the makings of an heirloom. One of those timeless boats a family can continue to enjoy.

What resale?

She is already promised to our two grown sons (42 & 44) who want her.

Perfect.

I did ask, thought he was ok for it.

Maybe it was in Bob sypher!

Ad, you need to go to his pantry, throw out that big old jar he bought when Elvis was still alive, and quietly replace it with a fresh one.

Don't ask him just do it.

That scares me.

Nobody touches that jar of Vegemite! If that jar could talk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If it could talk, it would ask you, "Why is everyone you offer me to so afraid of me?"

Nobody touches that jar of Vegemite! If that jar could talk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"could"? Why do I have pictures from that TV series "The Young Ones" in my head right now?

Besides I saw a show on Tv and they said those dates on products were bull shit. And I have a jar of Vegemite to prove it.

Using "Vegemite" and "shit" in the same paragraph just seems so...right.

Besides I saw a show on Tv and they said those dates on products were bull shit. And I have a jar of Vegemite to prove it.

Ha, ha. Yeah. I know what you mean, Bob. I have a jar of marmalade (admittedly fortified with scotch whisky) in the fridge, which has outlasted the previous fridge! Can't remember what it taste like, but no house guest has died from eating it... as far as I know.

PS: Kind of suggests it doesn't taste that great...a lot like your Vegemite maybe? :)

My vintage jar of Vegemite tastes exactly like Vegemite.

Speaking of good tasty things, take a look at FRANK with a dodger. It seems that Mrs. SWMBO wants one so we have to take care of her.

Kimwdodger_zps2f57b102.jpg

Dodger looks good. The whole package looks incredible.

maybe i asked this before, but did you build a platform for the mast to get that much clearance under the boom?

70:

No. But if you are looking at the profile I posted note that it says "Preliminary" and I'm certain that boom height does not reflect the Farr 40 boom height.

The BAD with the Farr rig is 4' 11/16".

OK, I just checked. The Preliminary drawing has a BAD of 4' 11/16". When I'm good I'm really good.

Somehow I'm thinking there must have been some adjustment to the mast step. I don't recall any but that is way too coincidental. I'm really not that good. Maybe Kim can enlighten us.

Ok I went back and checked my "working Farr 40 sail plan" for FRANK. The base of the mast is 3" above the top of the cabin sole. So there was an adjustment made to the mast step to accomodate the given bury of the Farr 40 stick.

Sailby:

When I posted that I have to admit I say here thinking how good it looks. I don't often fall in love with my own work. But lately I have been. It's a good feeling and it comes from having clients that like what I like.

Oh I get it.

:) There you go, Bob. Everybody is happy, including the taxman damn it.

I will not let it bother me. It is a small deal.

Some day I will get T shirts made that say, "Just look at the fucking drawing".

I would buy one for each yard project manager I have to deal with.

Sometimes I get the feeling that their sole mission in life is to raise the blood pressure of the designer.

Canuck:

I'd have to say that I have known just as many great yard project managers as annoying ones.

Thumper Brooks at PSC is a great guy.

The dodger looks great on paper. But how does it work for Kim? I've been on too many boats where the dodger obstructs the view ahead. The rest of the build is amazing. Beautiful boat. Thanks Bob for sharing Catari, Francis Lee and now KDH's build.

Hey! A prop!

It's a prop? When will you get a real one?

When I can afford one?

When you can "afford" a real prop let me know. I will put that floppy version to good use.

Ken:

The dodger will work just fine and SWMBO wants one. I would not draw it on the boat if first I determined it would not work.

I'm just checking the thread for the first time this month, agonizing!

She's getting so close, Kim, I've said it before but you must be the most patient man on earth. The first of the bottom paint shots from below makes the boat look insanely long and lithe.

Hey! A prop!

I was thinking the exact same thing. Here are proper props at work:

She's getting so close, Kim, I've said it before but you must be the most patient man on earth. The first of the bottom paint shots from below makes the boat look insanely long and lithe.

I wasn't patient when I was younger.......but then again I did not have the resources to do a project like this back then so it all works out.

Hey! A prop!

I am not connected to contemporary culture (at least my two sons say I am not.)

Contemporary Culture is over rated!

Where did you find it? I've been looking everywhere for it.

Where did you find it? I've been looking everywhere for it.

It's an APP on your i-phone.

Contemporary culture consists of staring at your phone and continuously posting inane drivel about what is going on in your life. "I just ate a cheeseburger", "I really like watching Survivor", "My baby just took a shit".

It helps to explain the popularity of reality shows - THOSE people have lives and the I-Phone generation simply watches and looks at their phones.

Contemporary culture consists of staring at your phone and continuously posting inane drivel about what is going on in your life. "I just ate a cheeseburger", "I really like watching Survivor", "My baby just took a shit".

It helps to explain the popularity of reality shows - THOSE people have lives and the I-Phone generation simply watches and looks at their phones.

How very true.

Not to mention a surrender of anonymity.

Of course, we choose whether to accede...or not, fortunately.

I wasn't patient when I was younger.......but then again I did not have the resources to do a project like this back then so it all works out.

>

Hey! A prop!

I am not connected to contemporary culture (at least my two sons say I am not.)

You are better off. Trust me.

How very true.

Not to mention a surrender of anonymity.

Of course, we choose whether to accede...or not, fortunately.

As parents we also choose what values we teach our kids. Sure, texting reality shows and being more and more connected are part of life these days but neither of our kids has a facebook or twitter account and they do not suffer the shakes when we get on the boat for three weeks each summer and disconnect. In fact, the 18 year old still wants to come and arranges her work schedule aroudn the vacation. It won't last forever but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Actually when asked about facebook, the 18 year old said;" I don't need facebook. I have a life."

Judging by my kid's ipods, some contemporary music is also very good. (The Black Keys, Mumford & Sons and the Dropkick Murphys, come to mind for starters)

"contemporary music"?

I am a Beach Boys/Beetles/Jan&Dean/Motown/Ventures kind of guy.

Go ahead and call me "old",..................I am.

Van Morrison is my kind of music. And he's still contemporary as far as I'm concerned.

PBS was doing a special on contemporary Irish music and they were showing a clip of Van Morrison playing in a small Irish pub. He was singing in his quirky Van way and my son Max walked through the room. Max stopped, looked at the TV for a few seconds then said, "What is this? Open mike?"

From another hater:

Van Morrsion is a fat, curmudgeonly old Irish git – whose success lies squarely at the feet of Irish isolationism and racism. His version of red-eyed soul was the nearest the Republic got to Motown, which is to say that it was significantly distanced by an ocean in between. Adding more Celtic lyrical touches ended up with the boglands version of Joe Cocker wibbling pointlessly about shaking his tush in the moonlight, before losing it all completely on Astral Weeks.

http://freakytrigger.co.uk/hate/2001/10/van-morrison-like-a-jelly-roll/ for the rant and rebuttals.

I like Van. I have a lot of Van on vinyl, including the aforesaid Astral Weeks.

Morrison described the difference between young men & women superbly in Wild Nights - "All the girls walk by, dressed up for each other and the boys do the boogie woogie on the corner of the street".

All in all though, I preferred The Committments. ;)

I haved Van on vinyl too. It took me years to warm up to him but then it hit me one day. This guy is authentic and true to his own unique vision of the music he wants to make.

When I was 17, maybe 18 years old I saw him at Lake Hills Roller Rink when he was the lead singer for THEM. They were awful.

Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

I haved Van on vinyl too. It took me years to warm up to him but then it hit me one day. This guy is authentic and true to his own unique vision of the music he wants to make.

When I was 17, maybe 18 years old I saw him at Lake Hills Roller Rink when he was the lead singer for THEM. They were awful.

My wife hated him until I told her to stop thinking of him as a singer and start thinking of him as a guy playing a saxophone with his voice.

This SS backstay fittings have been installed, just need the adjustable connector between the fittings.

post-8115-0-45031100-1385233190_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-03168700-1385233266_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-73914600-1385233271_thumb.jpg

This SS backstay fittings have been installed, just need the adjustable connector between the fittings.

Very elegant!

What...no life lines?

Just kidding. :P

What about some spectra purchase instead of 2 lengths of wire, 4 swages, and a turnbuckle?

What about some spectra purchase instead of 2 lengths of wire, 4 swages, and a turnbuckle?

How about an extended length turnbuckle between the 'base' and the through-deck fitting, since its main purpose is to keep the through-deck fitting a set distance from the base.

I really don't see the fitting between the two parts being adjusted a whole lot once everything is in place and set up. Hopefully once it is set it will never need to be adjusted. If Kim decides to T-bone Maltese Falcon, though, all bets are off.

I suppose you could get Chris Tutmark to make you a Spectra strop. That would be very simple and light. Can't imagine you will ever need to adjust it.

This morning....some boats got moved and now I can actually see her entire length.

Rumor that rig needs to go back in for additional measurement early next week.

Rudder parts due today....will they actually arrive??

post-8115-0-16577300-1385487432_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-85384400-1385487440_thumb.jpg

Every time I see a picture of that hull, it takes me a few seconds to figure out what I'm looking at, the bow or the stern...

Definitely a head turner!

Every time I see a picture of that hull, it takes me a few seconds to figure out what I'm looking at, the bow or the stern...

Hopefully we will add a rudder soon to make it easier.

Could not get her completely in from this angle, so had to take two pictures.

(Bow/stern Hint: the saildrive is aft of the keel....)

post-8115-0-76588200-1385488549_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-78271400-1385488558_thumb.jpg

Thanks Kim. Almost looks like a boat now.

Be fun to see the rudder on. It will give it a sense of direction.

The phone book's here!

The phone book's here!

You did not match the line hanging down from the ladder in your splice, but I like it anyway....kind of......

Easy. If it looks like they installed the keel on backwards, you are looking at the stern.

Easy. If it looks like they installed the keel on backwards, you are looking at the stern.

But....... what if they did put the keel on backwards??? :o

wow!

sliver.jpg

I hope they have jacklines installed, people are wearing harnesses and they're clipped in when they're up walking around on that thing.

Could not get her completely in from this angle, so had to take two pictures.

(Bow/stern Hint: the saildrive is aft of the keel....)

"We're going to need a bigger boat camera!"

wow!

sliver.jpg

I hope they have jacklines installed, people are wearing harnesses and they're clipped in when they're up walking around on that thing.

"that thing"? How about going with convention and calling her "her".

Wait just a col sarn minute!You mean to tell me you're going to call FRANK "her":?

Well I'll be horn swaggled.

You might as well by FRANK a little dress while you're at it and some petit toeless shoes.

This morning....some boats got moved and now I can actually see her entire length.

Rumor that rig needs to go back in for additional measurement early next week.

Rudder parts due today....will they actually arrive??

So. Who should my lawyer contact regarding my 'breathing difficulties'? (That sucker takes my breath away!)