kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

It may be time to put the bottle down 34. You are not making any sense. But if you are attempting to be annoying you are neither annoying nor entertaining. Just boring.

Moe:

Add ballast is the last thing I would do. The boat is very stiff at the dock and I think will be quite stiff under sail depsite the 9'10" beam. I'm going to post the hull lines on SA as soon as my photobucket prgramming is done with "routine maintanence". Then you can see that I worked hard to get a firm turn to the bilge. Too many of these long, skinny boats just lay over and die when pressed hard. When Kim stepped on the rail the other day the boat didn't budge. I have VPP's but I like to see for myself.

Kim Said: "...But that does not mean I have to do everything he says, just most of what he says...."

I have it on good authority there are nice sprit designs for your boat....

It was difficult to barge into this mutual admiration society...Bob being as giving as he is.. without peer...but my impressions are what they are.. photos lie and I take that into consideration....All the best to be sure but I want photos of you hanging ten on the bow or you were never there ; )

The boat is a daysailer with a non overlapping headsail on a furler and i imagine a low friction mainsail track with halyard to the cockpit. I don't imagine Kim will be needing to go forward too often in poor conditions.

Adding ballast - i doubt it.

Sure.... Y'all stay in the cockpit ya hear? Poor conditions anything over 15kts

Tar is an angry guy it seems. He has not brought anything to the party, he's made some less than astute comments and now that we have realized that he's becoming a bit desperate. But that's ok. As he said, it is anarchy and we have to be open to anything. As my grandmother told me, "Don't mock the afflicted."

Maybe Tar can post just something that would give him some credibility. I'm not seeing it from his posts.

What are you after, Tar34?

Popping Perry's Pimple...... the bow roller

So this project is floating above her lines to the eager satisfaction of its owner and you decide after 8,422 posts that you should pop a zit which exists only in your mirror... got it.

So this project is floating above her lines to the eager satisfaction of its owner and you decide after 8,422 posts that you should pop a zit which exists only in your mirror... got it.

So we both have a critical eye....furniture or ballast... I've hung a lot of laundry in public eye too...

eh, it's a functional piece of gear - hard to dress it up without making it MORE of a feature.

You remind me of the camera crew we had aboard Mauna Lani Flash one day to shoot some Japanese commercial, we are just getting ready to hoist the kite when the director guy says "Wait. Stop. Can't we get rid of all these ropes ?"

Ok, for those of you interested in the hull shape here are the lines.

Kimlinesrev8posted_zps28c73b4d.jpg

This is the final lines sketch in 2D before we went 3D. In 3D there was some minor smoothing out aft. I added the deadrise after we decided to use red cedar strip planking. I was concerned that the backbone, i.e. keelson, would eat into the floor depth too much so I added the deadrise to what was more of an arc midsection to get some additional floor depth. The rest of the shape is just me trying to think like water. I did pull out the lines to the Laurie Davidson AC boat BLACK MAGIC. Those lines are marvelous and Laurie's treatment of the bow sections lent itself to our narrow hull form. I didn't copy it, I don;t copy, but I did study it and use a similar approach to get volume forward. I'd say the inspiration for the bow came from BLACK MAGIC despite the great difference in overhang treatment.

Maybe we just need black paint and some graphics.... Black magic narrow beam and half circle hull form not to add anything substantial to the thread....

Let's just cut to the chase. The boat needs rails and a pulpit and those anchor rollers make the boat look cheap. The ends look like they belong on an icebreaker and I'll be happy hear how much ballast we need to add either to the bulb or stacked inside. No foul here, there are always tweaks to be made and it is a work in progress. Mr Perry deserves all the credit in the world for sharing. An invaluable resource and i'd like to know how I may combine the entire thread to one pdf.

You're the only one cutting to that chase.

Plenty of meter boats around without lifelines, why do you keeping harping on about it? Are all those owners wrong too? You've got an awful lot of emailing to do to tell all those boat owners they're wrong.

The ends look good to me, you are pretty much a lone voice and accusing other posters as sycophants is a load of crap.

There's lots of stuff to go aboard, even if Kim is keeping her light. She'll trim down some.

so you liked Black Magic a blast from the past... You can't take a compliment...

I have no objection to you adding sail area... we aren't sailing to the rule

But I like the troll. He's a little guy, shivering, who needs attention, like a Chihuahua.

Reminds me, I should go walk the dogs in the rain.

Let's just cut to the chase. The boat needs rails and a pulpit and those anchor rollers make the boat look cheap. The ends look like they belong on an icebreaker and I'll be happy hear how much ballast we need to add either to the bulb or stacked inside. No foul here, there are always tweaks to be made and it is a work in progress. Mr Perry deserves all the credit in the world for sharing. An invaluable resource and i'd like to know how I may combine the entire thread to one pdf.

Plenty of meter boats around without lifelines, why do you keeping harping on about it? Are all those owners wrong too? You've got an awful lot of emailing to do to tell all those boat owners they're wrong.

The ends look good to me, you are pretty much a lone voice and accusing other posters as sycophants is a load of crap.

There's lots of stuff to go aboard, even if Kim is keeping her light. She'll trim down some.

So what. My preference for comfort forward. I'm not harping, notice I've remained civil...she'll trim down.... we are making comparisons to Black Magic now..

I haven't seen SA/D published yet.... Listen I don't give a damn one way or the other ..... we're in it for the learning experience and if Perry says different he's a kidder. We all have our "magic" when it comes to weight and appendages and sail area and from what I glean here it's all a compromise which is fine by me. But what I like and what you like and what Derek is going improve upon is moot. Sail on......

34:

Read the thread. The sail plan has been posted. You work out the SA/D.

Don't go overboard with your comparison to BLACK MAGIC. That's a dead end. It may be all you can grasp but there is very little the two boats have in common.

One thing for certain. This boat will not trim down.

Why would you not be civil, everyone has been civil to you, including Bob?

If you don't agree with Bob, that's OK, you just disagree. If you don't understand something Bob is very patient and will take the time to explain. If Bob doesn't have an answer he'll say he doesn't know. If you don't like some aspects of FL then you can build your own.

So what. My preference for comfort forward. I'm not harping, notice I've remained civil...she'll trim down.... we are making comparisons to Black Magic now..

I haven't seen SA/D published yet.... Listen I don't give a damn one way or the other ..... we're in it for the learning experience and if Perry says different he's a kidder. We all have our "magic" when it comes to weight and appendages and sail area and from what I glean here it's all a compromise which is fine by me. But what I like and what you like and what Derek is going improve upon is moot. Sail on......

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. Albert Einstein

34:

Read the thread. The sail plan has been posted. You work out the SA/D.

Don't go overboard with your comparison to BLACK MAGIC. That's a dead end. It may be all you can grasp but there is very little the two boats have in common.

One thing for certain. This boat will not trim down.

I wasn't making the comparison. It seems you drew from an inspiration...a worthy one... but still apples and oranges which I appreciate....One can only glean from the proffered perspective, photos at odd angles, that pimple on the bow and the boil astern.. I'll just assume they are ephemeral blemishes and will heal in time....I'll draw F40 rig to get another perspective .....

Come on Perry the anchor rollers that's why so why did you waste the time designing sprits? I don't worship god's and design is in the eye of the beholder. I knew when I dared impart an impression the acolytes would wail... so be it... I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but true to form that pimple on your nose really is distracting ....

Hey newb - have you shown us any tits yet?

Is it just me out do Tar34 and Armido seem like they are cut from the same cloth? Brothers from another mother?

Their mother keeps calling them up from the basement but they won't leave her computer.

I have a suggestion for Tar, shut the fuck up, build your own boat and put a fucking sprit on both ends, maybe outriggers amidships too!!

Looks great! I think some boats look better with lifelines and others look better without! This one looks great the way it is! And has at every point since she was just drawings! Can't wait to see her with the stripe and sailing!

I've just stopped in after a month away.

Kim and Bob, the two of you have created a breathtaking boat. Though I don't think there has been any doubt of this for almost three years now. I once again have to mention Mr. Bottle's patience in this wonderful and excruciating process. There was some Bible guy - Job, I think...

Before the internet, how did we go about acting pissy with each other?

I have no opinion on the anchor rollers.

Oh yeah, and I will envy forever anybody that gets to drive the thing!

I am planning on painting the rollers flat black as I have done on other (non-boat) items. That makes them pretty much disappear. They are there because I plan to use them.

I am planning on painting the rollers flat black as I have done on other (non-boat) items. That makes them pretty much disappear. They are there because I plan to use them.

FWIW, Kimb, I think the rollers are just fine the way they are and the one on 'the other' sharp end will prove a boon.

Zedder:

We will have one headsail on roller furling. We will not be "switching headsails". But note how far aft the tack is from the stem. It's not like you will be clinging to the point.

Sorry, in my fogginess last night, I meant to add, "But Francis Lee doesn't need one because the forestay is so far from the stem."

I was responding to what Ish was saying about a Shark without a pulpit - I wouldn't wanna do foredeck on that!!

If you think they look good enough, that's all that matters.

By "use them" I would mean "keep an anchor hanging in each one" because I don't think I'd want to tote around even a lunch hook for that boat. Is that your plan?

LIfe lines are a very personal issue as is clear here.

I've sailed quite a lot of boats with and without lifelines.

The only place I've ever felt unsafe on a boat without lifelines is on the counter. For some reason there always seems to be less to hold onto back there and it moves around a lot if the divot with the stick won't hold it still. But the only time I seem to go back there under way it to run kite sheets when we're on the way to the start and we were too late to run them at the dock.

I've done bow on a lot of boats with lifelines and I don't think I ever use them to hold onto. Always had the feeling that if the bow goes right up high and comes down I could end up on the wrong side. On old fashioned boats with hanks I've wedge myself in between the forestay and the pulpit while changing sails. This boats got a furler...

Sure you might lean on them while trimming an old school kite, or hike off them. All irrelevant on this boat.

Only real use for them is hanging fenders, and I think you could probably sort some little clips for the toe rail here and that would be sorted.

I think she's going to be a lot of fun.

LIfe lines ...

Only real use for them is hanging fenders..

I HATE hanging fenders from lifelines. Maybe at a stanchion, but really HATE it half way between stanchions. Probably only me, but it's one of those things that sets my teeth on edge.

kim

no idea how to make rollers black

bronze with verdigris green would be the shot

green bronze IS the classic look

The ends are what I want, I worked to push volume into the ends and I am certain they will produce a fast boat.

I'm with ya on that one

that will make the boat

LIfe lines ...

I HATE hanging fenders from lifelines. Maybe at a stanchion, but really HATE it half way between stanchions. Probably only me, but it's one of those things that sets my teeth on edge.

Your not the only one.

If you think they look good enough, that's all that matters.

By "use them" I would mean "keep an anchor hanging in each one" because I don't think I'd want to tote around even a lunch hook for that boat. Is that your plan?

No anchors on deck, but will often anchor off stern. Bow roller also for tack of asymmetrical.

LIfe lines ...

Your not the only one.

I hate fenders on life lines!

LIfe lines ...

Your not the only one.

Good job you don't have any lifelines then.

LIfe lines ...

Your not the only one.

Good job you don't have any lifelines then.

Correct

Kim & Bob,

I've been ill for a while and not following this, but let me just add my congratulations on realizing a unique and lovely vision. I see a lot of L.F. Herreshoff in this design, and that's intended as a compliment to both of you. I hope Kim and SWMBO have many years of joy sailing this beauty.

Cheers,

Rob

It's going to be really cool to visit Blakely Harbor this spring and anchor out near the Francis Lee.

Figgers:

It's actually 8' above the cockpit sole to the bottom of the boom on the drawings. Remember that is a Farr 40 rig and we used the gooseneck location as is. We wanted to keep the Farr 40 mainsail size.

Figgers:

It's actually 8' above the cockpit sole to the bottom of the boom on the drawings. Remember that is a Farr 40 rig and we used the gooseneck location as is. We wanted to keep the Farr 40 mainsail size.

Actually, in her talk at the boat show, last weekend, Carol Hasse spoke of ensuring the boom was high enough to clear things like dodgers, bimini's and people's skulls. When someone asked about reduction in sail area, she argued that the loss of sail area by raising the boom that amount had a negligible impact on performance but was a great trade-off in safety. The lack of concern about performance is because the reduction in sail areas is actually quite small and it's in the part of a mainsail that doesn't make the most power anyway.

It's going to be really cool to visit Blakely Harbor this spring and anchor out near the Francis Lee.

I don't think I could ever anchor my boat anywhere near the lovely Francis Lee. The comparisons would leave me depressed....

Bravo to all involved in creating such a beautiful (and functional!) boat.

I don't think I could ever anchor my boat anywhere near the lovely Francis Lee. The comparisons would leave me depressed....

Both our boats have the same father.

Boy, he sure gets around!

Boy, he sure gets around!

I wonder if there is any he doesn't know about?

Well, now that you mention it:

I was down at Lake Texoma in Texas for the big Valiant Shebang. Mark Schraeder and I had nothing to do one afternoon so we decided to walk the docks. It's a big marina. We came to one boat and both of us liked it but neither of us could identify it. It looked familiar to me but I was stumped. That night at the party I was talking to a Texan sailer. He said he had a boat of mine in the marina. I asked what kind of boat and he said Islander 34. Doh!

No wonder I thought it was a cool boat.

Well, now that you mention it:

I was down at Lake Texoma in Texas for the big Valiant Shebang. Mark Schraeder and I had nothing to do one afternoon so we decided to walk the docks. It's a big marina. We came to one boat and both of us liked it but neither of us could identify it. It looked familiar to me but I was stumped. That night at the party I was talking to a Texan sailer. He said he had a boat of mine in the marina. I asked what kind of boat and he said Islander 34. Doh!

No wonder I thought it was a cool boat.

Well that happens; a late night, a little too much Laphroaig… next thing you know, you've fathered an Islander 34.

Figgers:

Actually, in her talk at the boat show, last weekend, Carol Hasse spoke of ensuring the boom was high enough to clear things like dodgers, bimini's and people's skulls. When someone asked about reduction in sail area, she argued that the loss of sail area by raising the boom that amount had a negligible impact on performance but was a great trade-off in safety. The lack of concern about performance is because the reduction in sail areas is actually quite small and it's in the part of a mainsail that doesn't make the most power anyway.

She's right. I like the boom to be as high as possible while still allowing putting on a sailcover without a ladder.

Weight study Perry style:

Pinky finger in mouth, pinky finger held up in the air, Fore finger placed on hull. "put water line there"

Cue the Chuck Norris jokes. (sometimes some folk just are that good, get over it)

Nice work Kim and Bob, she looks real nice on the water.

Ice breaker? FFS

Life lines? well, when Bob designs a boat for me, It will have life lines. This boat is dam gorgeous and It's what Kim wants!

How on earth could Bob do any better?

See the track on the front of the mast. Will you just have symetric kites or ayso as well? I'm sure that's been done somewhere in this thread but it's quite hard to find stuff now.

See the track on the front of the mast. Will you just have symetric kites or ayso as well? I'm sure that's been done somewhere in this thread but it's quite hard to find stuff now.

We left the spin track on to give us that option. We will play it all by ear for the first year or so and see how it works out.

Bob and I are going to measure the freeboard today so the computer can give us an accurate displacement as she sits now.

Nice to have the option to pole the jib out on a cruising boat when it gets breezy. If you've got a pole...

I have access to several carbon poles, I am sure we will end up with one.

I like the boom to be as high as possible while still allowing putting on a sailcover without a ladder

meh.

Stackpack with continuous zipper lanyard.

...says the guy who won't have to deal with the sail cover.

Don't let the clean lines and lack of lifelines :D fool you, it's a big boat.

If bottom of boom is 8' over cockpit sole, then I'm guessing top of boom is probably 4' over the coachroof. Farr 40 P dimension googles to about 55', so I'm guessing that the stack at the mast will be at least 4', which means that anyone under 6'6" height will need a boathook or mast steps just to tend the halyard.

It's a pretty boat, but everything about it says that it prioritizes hassle-free sailing ahead of aesthetics.

Stackpack fits the bill.

Kurt Hoehne just posted an article on Francis Lee in Northwest Yachting.

I believe this is a preliminary draft, and Kurt said he may alter or add to it.

I sent him a copy of Donn's sundown image of Francis Lee and am delighted he used it for the as the headliner.

http://www.nwyachting.com/2014/01/the-two-loves-of-francis-lee/

...says the guy who won't have to deal with the sail cover.

The E measurement on my boat is about 18'. I deal with the sail cover all the time.

It's just my opinion, but I think that putting a stack pack on that beautiful boat would be a crime of epic proportions!

No stack pack. I don't like their looks. I am tall, Bob is tall, Derek is tall, Brent is tall. We will deal with the main cover without much effort.

It's just my opinion, but I think that putting a stack pack on that beautiful boat would be a crime of epic proportions!

No stack pack. I don't like their looks. I am tall, Bob is tall, Derek is tall, Brent is tall. We will deal with the main cover without much effort.

I agree Kim, a stackpack on Francis Lee would be sacrilege.

Although simple adjustable lazy jacks when stowed against the mast may be unobtrusive.

To stow main: pull the lazy jacks into position, drop main, sail ties on then drop the lazy jacks back to hook under the reefing horns at the gooseneck. If you put the figure eight knot at the right length they hook under the reefing horns without having to tie them at the cleat.

Then throw the boom cover on.

Some people make up a boom cover with slits for the lazy jacks. Too fiddly; its easier to pull the Lazy jacks forward and throw a simple boom cover over.

We went to the boat this morning to take some freeboards.

Floating in fresh water ( this makes it float "heavy") we now displace 19,151 lbs according to Jim Franken's model. Jim's model was always a bit heavier than mine. This means we are 421 lbs. light with a slight bow down trim of .226 degrees. That's really too close to even notice.

We had one guy in the cockpit and there is still some stuff to go on the boat, sails, tankage, lines. cushions, me.

I'd say we are about as close as you can get with a new boat. Kim was pleased.

I agree Kim, a stackpack on Francis Lee would be sacrilege.

Although simple adjustable lazy jacks when stowed against the mast may be unobtrusive.

To stow main: pull the lazy jacks into position, drop main, sail ties on then drop the lazy jacks back to hook under the reefing horns at the gooseneck. If you put the figure eight knot at the right length they hook under the reefing horns without having to tie them at the cleat.

Then throw the boom cover on.

Some people make up a boom cover with slits for the lazy jacks. Too fiddly; its easier to pull the Lazy jacks forward and throw a simple boom cover over.

Yup!

We went to the boat this morning to take some freeboards.

Floating in fresh water ( this makes it float "heavy") we now displace 19,151 lbs according to Jim Franken's model. Jim's model was always a bit heavier than mine. This means we are 421 lbs. light with a slight bow down trim of .226 degrees. That's really too close to even notice.

We had one guy in the cockpit and there is still some stuff to go on the boat, sails, tankage, lines. cushions, me.

I'd say we are about as close as you can get with a new boat. Kim was pleased.

If I understand this part of the process, that number is based on what the computer thinks the hull shape is, which will be different from what it actually is, though probably not by much in this case.

How close is it? In other words, if we put the boat on a really accurate (and really big) scale, what do you think it would say?

Over at the old Morgan (currently Catalina) factory in Clearwater they have a water-testing tank. The factory is not on any navigable water. To me, this means they have no excuse at all for any inaccuracies in published displacement numbers. It's easy to measure exactly how much the water rises in that rectangular pool when you put a boat in it. Not picking on Catalina, they all seem to somehow get this wrong. And always in the same direction. <_<

Anyway, I know it's all just math with objective answers, but to me, this part of your job is black magic. I'm amazed that you knew months ago what it would be. Getting the trim right is even more black magic. So congratulations!

Tom:

Thanks. It's no big deal just weights and moments.

As to hull shape accuracy:

The best way to look at this is to remember that hull, deck and interior were all created in 3D on the same computer file.

When the hull was right side up and the interior was lowered into place it fit within a tolerance of 1/8", really less that that.

As Jim Franken said, "It has to, It's all the same file." (He's modest)

I think the hull we have is exactly what was modelled in that 3D file with some very reasonable tolerance.

Many of the yards in Taiwan had flotation pools also.

Don't know Tom.

At this stage what will be will be.

We are not going to add any weight other than finishing details including tankage and sails. We can't remove any weight.

Like any other boat the displacement will vary depending on number of crew and how the boat is loaded. The weight will not be static.

I am confident that when the boat is complete it will be well within any reasonable tolerence and far closer than most.

Not to confuse the issue here, but if we are talking about 10 or 50 pounds remember that all of the worker's tools were aboard when we measured the freeboard. How much do they weigh? Colin was aboard too in the cockpit, he has to weigh around 180ish.

Really guys, I think it is accurate to say Bob was SPOT ON with his weigh study. The boat floats as close to perfect as one could hope for, I am very happy with how it all came out.

My Glengarry with Black Watch Regiment badge weighs 1.18 lbs. I could leave that in the car but my head might get cold.

Bobandposse_zpsdc070877.jpg

Stack Packs don't have to look bad. This is what ours looks like when sailing (some lens distortion). Its pretty unobtrusive. YMMV

Yes, the mainsail outhaul should be slacked off a bit, I know...

Boom+with+stowed+StacPac.jpg