chorus1

Dick Carter design boats

1 hour ago, Tanton Y_M said:

Dick Carter's book is available. Well worth the read.

My copy arrived on Wednesday.  Can't wait to get into it.

Sad news from the Ligurian Coast in NW Italy. Francesco reports that due to extreme, 10 meter waves breaching the breakwater at Rapallo Harbor, "the Carlo Riva Marina does not exist anymore and god only knows if it will ever be rebuilt; RABBIT was in Lavagna, at CARM, for some minor detailing following the restoration, so it was saved. Compared to what happened to other boats (SERAFINA, Swan 39 the design of which was derived from IMP that Skip knows perfectly, sunk, MY PASSION, moored on our same dock, and SEA WHIPPET, owned by our sailmaker, missing, other boats in pieces) our Carter 37 TOMIRA was lucky, she still floats and the repair work won’t be much, the major concern is to find berths for 2 boats in an area where 400 moorings disappeared and won’t be available for a time that no one can evaluate (if ever)."

https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/news/storm-destroys-hundreds-of-yachts-in-rapallo--38669

Below, Francesco and Mietta's Carter 37 TOMIRA damaged, but afloat.  200 yachts in the Carlo Riva Marina were reportedly sunk.

TOMIRA.thumb.jpg.520e205489a867ed0d468faa2ab3e0fb.jpg

We send our very best to our dear friends who have suffered great loss.

We just got the book too. It's great! Written in a very easy to read style -  feel like you're there - and so many excellent pictures. 

On 11/5/2018 at 5:39 PM, sunseeker said:

Yeah well dickhead took a needless shot at Doug Peterson in the book, so fuck him.

Very unfortunate and unnecessary. 

On 11/12/2018 at 8:59 AM, Hitchhiker said:

Very unfortunate and unnecessary. 

I reported his damn post :)

A fun book with great stories and photos! Dick Carter's recollections of people, places, and events are encyclopedic.  Lesser known are DC's innovations such as Internal halyards and tangs.  He also had a halyard lock for his spinny, but that didn't work as well as hoped  Nor did the trim tab...  I loved reading this book and recommend it.