• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kent H

J BOATS J/70 Speedster

Announced two days ago J/70 will splash this fall. Should be around 25 feet and cost about the same as a Volvo station wagen.

Posted · Hidden by Kent H, July 5, 2012 - not needed
Hidden by Kent H, July 5, 2012 - not needed

I did not see the front page story sorry Ed and I can not delete this

for the metrically challenged, 7m=23', not 25. so a sporty boat actually a foot shorter than the venerable J/24, a foot longer than the J/22. I'd personally be more jazzed if it were a rebirth of the j/90, or a j/78, or something that's actually over 25'. the 20'er market seems pretty well defined now, but in the states there really aren't many choices of sporty boats in the 25 - 28' range, unless you want used. or a J/80 which, while having some strengths, isn't exactly a planing machine at least in New England.

Rodney will sell a ton of them I'm sure, but frankly even before seeing the drawings or design brief, I'm pretty disappointed.

J24-'s while nice are very far from actual one design. There has been so many subtle changes to them they need a refresh.

J-22's have no cockpit room. You get two people in there and your done.

a 22-24' day sailor boat open cockpit next to nothing for a cabin space, built out of modern materials to higher spec's would be great.

Think a 23' version of the J-80 . I have sailed on lots of different boats, and for bouy and short racing that small boats are raced on the open cockpits are far more comfortable than cramped ones.

Hmmm... make it something you can go moderately offshore in rather than another ballasted dinghy might be a unique entry. A lot of people want to short coastal stuff shorthanded and that might be a good size. Guys over in England do Cat 3 stuff in J80s no reason a 7m couldn't do it. J Boats seems ot be going for the IRC market but an IRC 7m boat would be shite...

The best proposal for a 7 meter IMHO is the Dibley 23 footer. Dibleymarine.com I think.

Extremely well thought out for production and now is dirt cheap to build in all carbon. That is where this project should go.

They should just make a deal with Dibley and save a ton of time and cash. Spend their time on a designing some fifty footers.

Fleets are getting too big... same with the J80's. Time to introduce something that will reduce the size of those OD fleets... it's a safety issue really, sailboat racing is dangerous when you get more than a dozen boat's on the line. Good on Jboat's for introducing a new model every month or so to address this issue.

I could have swore J already had a successful 22 foot boat.

Fleets are getting too big... same with the J80's. Time to introduce something that will reduce the size of those OD fleets... it's a safety issue really, sailboat racing is dangerous when you get more than a dozen boat's on the line. Good on Jboat's for introducing a new model every month or so to address this issue.

I could have swore J already had a successful 22 foot boat.

Funny joke...

Yes and I distinctly remember the first time I saw a J/22. Ronald Reagan was in his first term. Maddona was a one hit wonder and Oprah Winfrey would not debut her show for three more years.......

Twenty eight years is a pretty long production run.

RIP J/22 1983 -2011

The J/80 didn't kill the J/24 so I doubt the new boat will kill the J/22. I don't think they compete with one another. J/22's are like Stars, iconic and people will always race them. I agree with some of the comments though that with J Boats there's a huge risk that the boat will be too heavy and under powdered to be a real sporty.

Plenty of speculation w/o any preliminary specs or drawings:...I bet if they stuck a J on the main of the FT 7.5, they'd sell a ton of them.

Plenty of speculation w/o any preliminary specs or drawings:...I bet if they stuck a J on the main of the FT 7.5, they'd sell a ton of them.

Really?

Sadly with AKAGP and enough said Stevens::ph34r: poluting the FT name I don't expect to see many people migrating to any of the FT products.

my point is that J could take what is apparently a very fine design at that 24-26ft range and sell the shit out of it.....forget AKAGP and Stevens...

Um... JBoats is not going to take someone else's design and sell it. Generally companies are more successful making and selling their own stuff. JBoats is very good at doing that. They know they are not meeting the requirements of some anarchists. They are OK with that. They make a business decision to go with boats that have some compromises and are good all-around boats, and that they will not beat every other boat at it's own game.

It's the concept of the FT 7.5 design that im referring to, not literally that precise design...anyway, hopefully it will be a nice ride that will be well received...waiting paitently for my J70 email to arrive any day now!!

Guys over in England do Cat 3 stuff in J80s no reason a 7m couldn't do it.

Really? Can you give some examples? I've seen J80s doing cat 4 events such as Nab Tower but cannot recall any doing cat 3. Also, quite apart from the mountain of safety gear that cat 3 requires, most offshore race organisers here specify a minimum stability screen system number (SSSN) for cat 3 events that a J80 would not achieve.

J/22's are like Stars, iconic and people will always race them.

Yeah they are just like Stars. It's years since I've seen either a J/22 or a Star.

Announced two days ago J/70 will splash this fall. Should be around 25 feet and cost about the same as a Volvo station wagen.

And sail like one too?

Dogwatch - cat3 races by J80's in UK were fairly rare (mostly with JOG) now even less so. A few still in France around 100-150 miles.

I like the J80, it's greater stability vs other sports boats is a plus and the European fleets are really strong, with many 50-100 boat events each year to choose from.

I was given a heads up on the new 70 in January, it's going to be interesting to see and sail and complimentary to the J range.

And sail like one too?

In the words fo Dudly Moore.

"THere Boxy, but there good"

And sail like one too?

Funny but no. When the J24 came out, they compared it to the cost of a Volvo station wagon. I bet it will be a cool boat that sails well, and they sell a ton of them.

Dogwatch - cat3 races by J80's in UK were fairly rare (mostly with JOG) now even less so.

Hmmm, I see JOG has dropped its min SSSN to 10/15 for cat4/cat3. It used to be 15/20. Quite a difference. Still not too sure how easily a J/80 is going to meet http://www.jog.org.u...List%202011.pdf and the JOG entry lists still aren't exactly full of what you'd call raceboats (as once upon a time they were).

Looks like my U20...with a backstay.

Andre - sadly - the U20 looks better with the more squared off stern section and the pole is kept out of the interior and no gaskets to worry about LOL.

I'd Put money on it that the U24 is still faster - lighter and more fun to sail too.

First rendering of the J/70 released today from J boats. Looks pretty J/80 to me.

dosen't look like my J/80!

Andre - sadly - the U20 looks better with the more squared off stern section and the pole is kept out of the interior and no gaskets to worry about LOL.

I'd Put money on it that the U24 is still faster - lighter and more fun to sail too.

LOL

U20 is an expert after seeing the one and only artists rendition of the boat. BTW if U20s are so uber cool why did you sell yours?

What do you think the chances are of J Boats selling more J70s than U20s and U24s combined during their first year of production?

Boat looks cool. Cant wait to see what the program is in terms of hiking. Add a pad on the lines and go legs in like the M20 or contort yourself under that damn thing like you do on an 80.

BTW.. does anyone else thing the lifelines on a J80 are WAY too high? I digress....

Boat looks cool. Cant wait to see what the program is in terms of hiking. Add a pad on the lines and go legs in like the M20 or contort yourself under that damn thing like you do on an 80.

BTW.. does anyone else thing the lifelines on a J80 are WAY too high? I digress....

looks a lot like what Mcalpine Downey designed and MFG's powerboat builders tried to build in the early 1970s...

1.jpg

The J80 is a bitch to hike (so I'm told !), the life line is too high

post-3223-026179100 1307087839_thumb.jpg

If she doesn't show up with chines and dual rudders there are more than a couple of NCal people here interested.

She'll also have to have at least 400 lbs of ballast to qualify for NCPHRF until a one design fleet is established.

If she doesn't show up with chines and dual rudders there are more than a couple of NCal people here interested.

She'll also have to have at least 400 lbs of ballast to qualify for NCPHRF until a one design fleet is established.

I would assume a 7 meter boat would almost have to have 4 bills in the keel....

I have no idea why people are saying it looks like a J80, J90, or U20. It really looks nothing like any of them. Maybe, it looks kinda like a smaller Farr25.

I have no idea why people are saying it looks like a J80, J90, or U20. It really looks nothing like any of them. Maybe, it looks kinda like a smaller Farr25.

Looks like the FT7.5 more than the others.

Not so much...

post-420-011777800 1307542143_thumb.jpg

post-420-073008400 1307542133_thumb.jpg

FT75Profile.jpg

LOL

U20 is an expert after seeing the one and only artists rendition of the boat. BTW if U20s are so uber cool why did you sell yours?

What do you think the chances are of J Boats selling more J70s than U20s and U24s combined during their first year of production?

Monster - change in plans unlike many I'd rather see my boat used than sit in the yard wasting away because I don't have time to race her. Trust me selling the boat hand nothing to do with the boat and everything to do with my available time to do so. But you seem to be an expert please share.

Not so much...

FT75Profile.jpg

Apt comparison to the J/111

Offshore shorthander.......

Not so much...

FT75Profile.jpg

Agree it looks like a mini j/111 - which can't be a bad thing.

I hope for them the keels don't fall of like on a few of the j 80....

So, here's a challenge for ya:

Go build 500 boats, and sell them to a wide variety of people sailing in a wide variety of places, with a wide variety of ideas about how to take care of those boats. Then keep track of how many keels fall off!

Like it or not, J Boats is one of the most successful boat designers/manufactures and marketing companies out there.

Go build 500 boats, and sell them to a wide variety of people sailing in a wide variety of places, with a wide variety of ideas about how to take care of those boats. Then keep track of how many keels fall off!

500 ??

1000++ !

Yeah, you know...like the Ford Pinto...it was only one in about 100 that flamed when hit from behind, incinerating all aboard, but the other 99 Pinto owners and passengers LOVED em!

Yeah, you know...like the Ford Pinto...it was only one in about 100 that flamed when hit from behind, incinerating all aboard, but the other 99 Pinto owners and passengers LOVED em!

Really? Somebody loved the Pinto? We are talking about the car, not the horse, right?

(Now the Bobcat, that was a car!)

It was only 2 of over 1200 built. Not saying that makes keels falling off right, but there are lots of variables involved. You just trying to start a shit fight?

Really? Somebody loved the Pinto? We are talking about the car, not the horse, right?

(Now the Bobcat, that was a car!)

I prefered the Gremlin

1972_AMC_Gremlin_ad1.jpg

weren't you involved in the FT10?

wow, that is chutzpa.....your cheap shitbox required a complete rebuild to be seaworthy.....and you have the balls to comment on a success like the J80?

Well? Where are the pictures of hull #1 being built?

J/Boats says on their site "sea-trialing fall 2011" and we're just about there.

Sailing world has a short writeup on it.

http://www.sailingworld.com/sailboats/big-fun-in-small-packages-j-boats

I lost interest when I heard they were being built in China.

Really? Why?

While I'd love to see them built in the US, I don't think it can be done at a low enough price point that you can sell them. If Sailing World is right about $45k for boat/sails/trailer...

Also heard from that hiking will be legs out not in, and it will be a fat head main with backstay, not a squaretop.

I guess that rules out Rod taking one to Off Soundings for the Fall, but I bet we see it at Spring off soundings, just like he brought the J/95. $45k for that size boat is pretty damn good these days, though yeah I'd rather see them give that kind of business to the US instead of china. I wish they'd show something more than a damn "rendering" though. and I wish it were a J/77 or J/78 instead of a J/7, but... can't have everything.

how heavy

will j/boats really build light enough to be considered a sportsboat?

j/boat M.O. = maximising profits, and easy prod durability says low-tech glasswork = weight

not a sportsboat if it's heavy

how heavy

j/boat M.O. = maximising profits, and easy prod durability says low-tech glasswork = weight

there's some truth in that.....some.

but that very same MO also tends to lead to boats that have a shelf life. not being replaced every three years to stay competitive.

how heavy

Thought you already knew how heavy it was? That was the reason you used to shoot down my suggestion that it would be an Olympic suggestion for a sportsboat. Jumping off a bit before you actually know what you're talking about?

This has been a very low key marketing exercise for J Boats, no mold pics, no production pics etc, etc. Perhaps its not going so well.

20ft sport boat costs about the same to build as a 24ft sport boat chances are the marketing budget for it represents the very thin profit they would get compared to say a J111 etc.

This has been a very low key marketing exercise for J Boats, no mold pics, no production pics etc, etc. Perhaps its not going so well.

...or perhaps they've finally learned that anything released prematurely (ie.,before it is carved in stone) just winds up being ammo for the hacks on some forums to use to bash them. I suspect when there is something definitive to say or show it will appear.

20ft sport boat costs about the same to build as a 24ft sport boat chances are the marketing budget for it represents the very thin profit they would get compared to say a J111 etc.

How about their web-site?

From an anarchist in the Northeast...

"The J/70 master hull plug is finished and hull molding is underway. The hull form was initially cut with an extremely precise 5-axis robotic milling machine and then faired and long-boarded to match hull fairing templates. The master hull plug has been mirror-finished to millimeter tolerances, assuring sailors of strict, international one-design sailing. The project timeline has two J/70's sailing before the end of 2011. Full production is expected to begin by January 2012 with the first shipments to North America and Europe arriving by late February/early March. Due to overwhelmingly interest worldwide, plans are already in place to build additional tooling to assist with the ramp-up as well to fast-track a European start-up in 2012 for additional international sailing events.

For more J/70 Speedster sailing information and latest developments here.

http://www.jboats.com/j70"

J70_hull_05.jpg

J70_hull_09.jpg

J70_rig.JPG

Looking at the deck rendering I hope J boats will re-design the layout, genoa winch way to far aft and it is not from 2011/2012 anymore not to have a transvere genoa track. They should have come up with something more clever.

williwaw you josh huh

the 'tracks' you're looking at is the boom vang ! the jib tracks are 2000s 'normal' ?

winches no idea why

funny how they need to mention a dynamic (inferring auto) rig, yet admit it needs an adjusting backstay to make it dynamic !

of course big backstay loads reduce a topmasts ability to fully react

trad single backstays are kinda last century on SBs this size, but it's obvious they are taking alot of cues (treading safely) from the '90s m24

Fortunately I know the difference between a boom vang and genoatracks.

It is from last century putting on longitudial jibtracks on a new sportsboat.

it's still pretty normal around here,

show us a pic

under 8mtr boat so not comparing apples w/ oranges, not a 'yacht' or keelboat

--------------------

i guess it's just terminology but we ain't seen a genoa on a sportsboat for a while now !

on another note winches aren't used here either

heres the Longzte which is new-ish and apparently all the rage in yr part of the globe ( 54 boat regatta)

i think the little j/boat is in line w this

eqpt_spibag.jpg

Mr C - thanks for the post - first new info I've seen in a while despite registering my interest with the J agent here.

At 7m I think you don't need winches, just. SB3/M20/M24/1720 don't have them although in heavier air the loads on the kite sheet are reasonably heavy on these boats, above what the average female sailor can handle comfortably. J80 has winches of course. I have no issue with fore/aft jib tracks, nor a backstay and traveller set up - it's what we all know and understand. I would observe than on the M20 with it's mainsheet only setup if you don't get the rig tune right for the conditions you are stuffed - the range of tuning on the adjustable shrouds is for tweaking only.

agree with that , I was with you till the last sentence

confusing a mainsheet with backstay use is a yacht thing and doesn't take into consideration dynamic or auto rig like the antipodean boats and the Vipe, Longzte

look at the VX

sportsboats have been taking cues off skiff style rigs for a long time now and its not new tech, now legacy,

backstay tension would stop a dynamic rig, well ? being dynamic

-----------------------

winches ... even the more powerful of the 8mtr boats don't use winches, multi-part jib sheeting and 2x3" ratchets PER side for the kite

on a big reach u might need 2 blokes on the kite but not W/L racing

we could not consider a man down off the hiking bench twirling a winch

J/Boats is normally a little more conservative and evolutionary in their approach. They are not setting out to build a cutting edge sport boat. Just like the J/111 isn't cutting edge. What it is, and what I suspect the target is for the J/70 is a fast (but not the fastest) responsive (but not so responsive that only olympic class helmsmen candrive), tuneable (but not so tweaky that if you're off slightly you'll be instantly spit out the back of the fleet) fun to sail boat that appeal to a wide range of potential customers....And I mean that as a compliment. I think the J/111 hit it's mark exactly and is a great boat. In fact as I look at J/Boats J/70 pages, I don't see a single use of the word "sportboat" in any of their addvertising or description of the boat.