• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ACP

Flying Tiger 7.5m

18 posts in this topic

Check out our video from the San Diego Beer Can race 6/1/2011.

Flying Tiger 7.5 Video

(If it runs slow trying turing off the HD in the lower right corner of the video player).

nice, looks like a fun race....can't imagine those lifelines are legal!!

Tom,

awesome,

been wondering when the forum was going to be used to keep awareness up and exposure to the 10 and 7.5 happening. Good timing with the J70 drumbeat beginning to sound in the far distance.

is the 7.5 selling? haven't heard/seen anything about anything more than a couple in SD...

it's a good product but deserves some marketing, appears to have virtually none

If the FT fellers would only open their eyes. GS marketing the 7.5 and GP the 10.

It's G world!

There has been a recent surge of interest in both models and we are increasing our advertising budget.

One issue with these boats from the very inception was that they were priced so low there was little room for support and marketing. I can assure you that Mr. Stevens spent a tidy sum for all his efforts. He lost money on every sale and no amount of volume will ever correct that business formula.

Since taking over, we have tried to keep the sales price down while dedicating more resources to sales and support. I still get enquiries from folks who are shocked that the FT 10 price is not $39,000 as originally envisioned before the first boat was ever delivered almost 6 years ago. Time to refresh your cache people.

We are here for the long run and continue to field all enquiries. The yard remains strong and they have many other manufacturing interests outside the marine industry. It should come as no surprise that buying a boat is a difficult decision for today’s consumer but the fact is that labor and commodity prices have consistently headed up over the last 5 years and buying a new Flying Tiger will be a better economic decision today than tomorrow. Plus, we are not getting any younger are we. We have both the FT 10 and the FT 7.5 available for charter in San Diego. If you fly in for a view and buy a boat I will be happy to refund your expenses. If you are buying a model that is not represented in your area I will make a deep discount as a fleet starter. Those folks with earnest interest in either model will not be disappointed both on performance and price.

Live slow, sail fast. -t

so what are the current regular prices?

good Question strewn

link ?

Has anyone sailed a FT 7.5 side by side with a Melges 24 and what were the performance differences i.e., upwind/downwind speed and point and in what type of wind strength?

Thanks,

John

Has anyone sailed a FT 7.5 side by side with a Melges 24 and what were the performance differences i.e., upwind/downwind speed and point and in what type of wind strength?

Thanks,

John

Upwind the FT 7.5 will hang with the M 24 in medium to heavy air conditions if you can hike and have enough weight. Downwind lighter air the M-24 is faster as it breaks loose sooner. Heavy air downwind side by side is unknown but my hunch is it is pretty even with the FT being more stable. Last years SA regatta was probably a good test against a reasonably well sailed M-24 and a very well sailed Shaw 650. FT is heavier, a foot more draft and more SA than the M. The FT feels good with legs in but to climb with a M-24 you have to inflict some pain on your crew.

Class B

Wait, so, there are 4 7.5s sailing? I thought it was only 2. That is great.

Thanks,

John

Upwind the FT 7.5 will hang with the M 24 in medium to heavy air conditions if you can hike and have enough weight. Downwind lighter air the M-24 is faster as it breaks loose sooner. Heavy air downwind side by side is unknown but my hunch is it is pretty even with the FT being more stable. Last years SA regatta was probably a good test against a reasonably well sailed M-24 and a very well sailed Shaw 650. FT is heavier, a foot more draft and more SA than the M. The FT feels good with legs in but to climb with a M-24 you have to inflict some pain on your crew.

Class B

Thanks,

John

Class B

Is the standard set up 3 or 4 man crew ? How about upwind performance in light air ?

When I do a new design I don't "target" any other boat.

My image for the 7.5 came from my experience with the FT10m and while some people think I had a target in that design I assure you I did not. Part of what makes me at least think I am a designer is the fact that I think I can always do it better. I check out the current competition al the time. That's my job. But when I sit down to draw I don't have a specific target boat in mind.

With the 7.5 I was thinking about a boat that would be easier to sail than the M24. I added the chines for initial stability and because at that time I was doing some tank testing up in BC and the guys that ran the tank were sailors and I discussed chines with them and they agreed that chines would be the way to go.

Class B

Is the standard set up 3 or 4 man crew ? How about upwind performance in light air ?

The boat can be handled by three without much trouble, and downwind in light conditions you would do fine. Upwind a boat with 4 will beat you most the time.

When I do a new design I don't "target" any other boat.

My image for the 7.5 came from my experience with the FT10m and while some people think I had a target in that design I assure you I did not. Part of what makes me at least think I am a designer is the fact that I think I can always do it better. I check out the current competition al the time. That's my job. But when I sit down to draw I don't have a specific target boat in mind.

With the 7.5 I was thinking about a boat that would be easier to sail than the M24. I added the chines for initial stability and because at that time I was doing some tank testing up in BC and the guys that ran the tank were sailors and I discussed chines with them and they agreed that chines would be the way to go.

Bob, you rock. Thanks.