Larry

Some of my old sailing photos 2

Shiftless. Bob Olins, CYC. Boat in 1986. Bob won the 1981 Chicago to Mackinac Race overall on his Aphrodite 101.

I have no information on this newer boat. Photo taken during 1986 Mac Race.

Shiftless-1024.jpg

Looks kinda like a DB-1

FB- Doug

Shiftless. Bob Olins, CYC. APHR 33. MHS Section 4, rated 613.1.

Shiftless.png

This is a super old post to quote, but...

Any idea where this Aphrodite is now?

I know of one in Hamilton ON.

They seem to be pretty rare in North America. The Hamilton boat is the only one I have ever seen.

Years ago I worked for a company in Seattle that was a dealer for the Aprodites. There are still several in the PNW, one of them did the VI360 in 2009.

JM

Shiftless.png

They seem to be pretty rare in North America. The Hamilton boat is the only one I have ever seen.

There's one at the Sequoia YC in Redwood City, CA. I'll dig out the name next time I'm there.

Shiftless. Bob Olins, CYC. Boat in 1986. Bob won the 1981 Chicago to Mackinac Race overall on his Aphrodite 101.

Shiftless-1024.jpg

I think a X 3/4 ton .

Looks kinda like a DB-1

FB- Doug

Shiftless.png

There's one at the Sequoia YC in Redwood City, CA. I'll dig out the name next time I'm there.
there's one down here on the ms. gulf coast...

the original owner was the late jack haviland....

i used to crew on it from time to time...

jack died and the boat sat in the slip going to hell and even sank a few times.

an attorney contacted me a few weeks ago because he needed some info on the boat for the new owner....

I've seen the on in MS. Beautiful boats. I'd remove the team deck if I had one. Boats are enough maintenance as is!

Endurance. Roger Derusha, M&M. C&C 43. Chicago to Mackinac Race, MHS Section 1, rated 551.6.

Data above from 1983 scratch sheet booklet.

Roger's gone now, but the last I heard, his family was still sailing the boat.

Endurance-1981-900-BICS-1.jpg

Always thought the 43 was the prettiest production boat C&C ever built.
Hey Titmouse......the 43 was built at the Custom Shop....it was not a production boat....they were all different.....glad to help.

Endurance. Roger Derusha, M&M. C&C 43. Chicago to Mackinac Race, MHS Section 1, rated 551.6. Data above from 1983 scratch sheet booklet. Roger's gone now, but the last I heard, his family was still sailing the boat. Endurance-1981-900-BICS-1.jpg.

Hey Titmouse......the 43 was built at the Custom Shop....it was not a production boat....they were all different.....glad to help.

The hulls were different?.

Shiftless-1024.jpg

I think a X 3/4 ton .

Looks kinda like a DB-1

FB- Doug

Definitely an X 3/4 ton.

Endurance. Roger Derusha, M&M. C&C 43. Chicago to Mackinac Race, MHS Section 1, rated 551.6. Data above from 1983 scratch sheet booklet. Roger's gone now, but the last I heard, his family was still sailing the boat. Endurance-1981-900-BICS-1.jpg.

The June 1971 magazine article/review stated: The accommodations of the "43" may be varied within the standard hull and deck moldings.

From the September 1971 magazine C&C advertisement ...'Limited editions' (with custom designed and custom built interiors) and "one off" yachts... "Built by Bruckmann".

Our 1970 C&C 43 is hull #1 of the Limited Edition series 43's. Launched as "Arieto", the interior is significantly different than the other 43's I have seen or seen pictures off. The hull, deck, and keel are similar to the early 43's however I have read that some of the 43's completed in the late 70's (maybe hull # 14 or 15) had updated keels and rudders.

In the mid 70's hulls # 1 and 2 ("Arieto" and "Destination") had their sterns bobbed (looked like a C&C 39 stern) to help with the IOR ratings. To my knowledge these were the only two hulls bobbed. Hull #2 has since had its stern mostly restored with the addition of a swim step. Hull #1 is still bobbed.

There are a few full custom 43's with different hull and deck designs. There is also a Landfall 43 that was designed and built for longer range cruising. Some of these newer 43's were built in the 80's.

Blackbeard

Shiftless-1024.jpg

I think a X 3/4 ton .

Looks kinda like a DB-1

FB- Doug

Definitely an X 3/4 ton.

I was going to say: Not a X-1 ton. The primary winches are in the wrong place. On the 1 tonner they were consolidated in the forward end of the cockpit tub near the companionway. A lot of the "features" on Shiftless is pure X-Yachts. but I had to look at it for awhile. Lots of similarities on a DB.

Endurance. Roger Derusha, M&M. C&C 43. Chicago to Mackinac Race, MHS Section 1, rated 551.6. Data above from 1983 scratch sheet booklet. Roger's gone now, but the last I heard, his family was still sailing the boat. Endurance-1981-900-BICS-1.jpg .

The June 1971 magazine article/review stated: The accommodations of the "43" may be varied within the standard hull and deck moldings.

From the September 1971 magazine C&C advertisement ...'Limited editions' (with custom designed and custom built interiors) and "one off" yachts... "Built by Bruckmann".

Our 1970 C&C 43 is hull #1 of the Limited Edition series 43's. Launched as "Arieto", the interior is significantly different than the other 43's I have seen or seen pictures off. The hull, deck, and keel are similar to the early 43's however I have read that some of the 43's completed in the late 70's (maybe hull # 14 or 15) had updated keels and rudders.

In the mid 70's hulls # 1 and 2 ("Arieto" and "Destination") had their sterns bobbed (looked like a C&C 39 stern) to help with the IOR ratings. To my knowledge these were the only two hulls bobbed. Hull #2 has since had its stern mostly restored with the addition of a swim step. Hull #1 is still bobbed.

There are a few full custom 43's with different hull and deck designs. There is also a Landfall 43 that was designed and built for longer range cruising. Some of these newer 43's were built in the 80's.

Blackbeard

Thanks. I had thought the 15 43-1s had the same hull,foils and rigs with different interiors. Apparently not quite true.

France 3. 1983 America's Cup, Newport RI.

Man-up-Mast-France-3-900-1.jpg

Golden Eagle. S. Nichols, Greenwich CT. Frers 50. 1984 SORC.

Golden-Eagle-900.jpg

That spar looks in pretty sad shape for an AC boat.

Think just specific light alloy used appearance :), shape is ok !

Think just specific light alloy used appearance :), shape is ok !

Well, the "speed wrinkle" along the luff of the main don't look to good to my eye; but the spar & rigging is state of the art for 'way back then

And Larry, thanks again for making the best thread on whole internet!

FB- Doug

Another nice shot Larry!

The 1984 SORC results show Golden Eagle as a S&S 52 (40.3ft IOR) though - which make sense as she does have that heavier and high-wooded S&S look about her. She finished 9th in Class B and 46th overall.

Golden-Eagle-900.jpg

Immigrant. Mr. McAteer, Annapolis YC. Dubois 41. Boca Grande and Return Race. 1983 SORC, Class D, rated IOR 32.0 EST.

Immigrant-84-Boca-Full-Height-side-900-B

Fame. Douglas White, West Chester PA. Peterson 43. Miami to Nassau Race. 1983 SORC, Class D, rated IOR 33.2.

Fame-900-BIC.jpg

Fame. Douglas White, West Chester PA. Peterson 43. Miami to Nassau Race. 1983 SORC, Class D, rated IOR 33.2.

Fame-900-BIC.jpg

Finally!!!!! Larry, you rock! I've been waiting to see if you would ever find a picture of her since the thread started. Its a shame though, Sandy may have claimed her. She sits sans keel, rudder, and rig.

--Matt

Larry-

The "Grunt" and "Fame"- good times...

Thanks for posting?

How deep are you archives?

Harness, did you race on Fame?

--Matt

Agape Too II. T/M Kohler, Sheboygan WI. Hood 37, rated IOR 25.0 EST.

Motivation. R. Bahrman, Key Biscayne FL. Van de Stadt 33, rated IOR 24.5 EST.

1984 SORC Boca Grand and Return, near finish.

Agape-Too-II-and-Motivation-900-painterl

Chiquita. Millard Ripley. NM45. 1983 SORC, Class C, rated IOR 35.5. Miami to Nassau Race.

I don't know Millard Ripley's YC affiliation. That was not included on 1983 scratch sheet I have.

Chiquita-83-SORC-E-900-BIC.jpg

Rip was indeed St Pete YC. Ward Passmore ran the boat for him and can still be found in those parts ...

Agape Too II --> Sistership to "Robin" and/or "Knock On wood"?

+1000 Larry for the best thread here ever!

Agape Too II --> Sistership to "Robin" and/or "Knock On wood"?

She was the former Robin Too II that had won the SORC a decade earlier. Centerboard, retracting nested rudder. Very heavy but a sweet boat. We spent a lot of time looking at Motivation's transom. (yep, I'm somewhere in that pic and hooked up that chute) Thanks, Larry, for posting this shot.

Flirt of Paget. Forest Trimingham, RBYC. Holland 40. 1983 SORC, rated IOR 30.1. Miami to Nassau Race.

Flirt-from-Above-Even-Better-Newest-vers

Circuit Breaker. Johnston/Thatcher. NM36. 1983 SORC, Class F, rated IOR 28.3. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

My 1983 SORC scratch sheet does not show YC affiliation. Somebody here will know, I'll bet.

Any additional info would be appreciated.

Circuit-Breaker-83-SORC-W-900-BIC.jpg

Whiteout. Capper/Chick. Wylie 28. 1982 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 6, rated 21.4.

Picture11.png

This is the pic and the boatname that fully defines IOR sailing in the '80s.

Upon request, I was here to vote for JUNE, ADRIFT, so will post a B/W conversion I did yesterday.

Christopher Dragon.

Christopher-Dragon-BW-1024a.jpg

Great conversion. Gotta love B&W in 6X7!

Chiquita and Motivation. Two NM45's. 1983 SORC, Class C. Miami to Nassau Race.

Chiquita-and-Motivation-900-BIC.jpg

Chiquita and Motivation. Two NM45's. 1983 SORC, Class C. Miami to Nassau Race.

Chiquita-and-Motivation-900-BIC.jpg

Which sail combinaison was the best here ???

Now ...there was a good question!

They just invented Kevlar blade non overlapping No3 headsails, so all the hotshots were convinced that you went straight from the Heavy No1 to the blade .... except, ... well ... if the sea was not flat, the damn boat stopped dead. Somewhere earlier we touched on Serendipity 43s and in the Miami Nassau 1983, on Counterpoint, we discovered the boat had a nice, little used Dacron No2 and waltzed through all the hot boats upwind.

1982 on the S&S 46 Inca, on a RORC race in the Channel, in one watch Monica McCants (spelling???) had us change constantly between full main and blade, or one reef and No2, depending on the sea state. Bloody knackering, but necessary!

Based on my experience in similar conditions, I would go with larger genoa and reefed main. Seemed to provide better power for the lumpy offshore seas. Those IOR boats usually had high aspect mains so reefing them didn't diminish the power as much as changing to a smaller headsail did.

Larry,

Thanks for digging up another good one. I'm a Breaker alum also. I don't know where she originally lived, but the current owner bought her from a yard in New Jersey in the '89 - '90 time frame. Circuit Breaker suffered damage during Sandy, but the owner, Jack Buzzi, is fixing her.

--Matt

Circuit Breaker. Johnston/Thatcher. NM36. 1983 SORC, Class F, rated IOR 28.3. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

My 1983 SORC scratch sheet does not show YC affiliation. Somebody here will know, I'll bet.

post-1330-1255736479_thumb.jpg

The boat sails out of Raritan Yacht Club in Perth Amboy, NJ. I helmed the boat from aound 2001-2008 and know the boat well. From what I understand the boat was bought by multiple people who formed a corporation to purchase the boat. I believe the mast jumped the step on a long distance race in the first year or so and became a mess insurance claim. It was bought and raced locally and was a perennial winner locally for about 10 years or so. It has since stopped racing but still goes out for some non-spin beer can racing from now and then. Rate 99 in PHRF and woudl go upwind better than just about any boat I know. It was a J29 killer when we raced with them. Downwind she was a handfull.

Shiftless-1024.jpg

These were and are upwind machines, both the X-102's and X-3/4 Tons.

Another nice shot Larry!

The 1984 SORC results show Golden Eagle as a S&S 52 (40.3ft IOR) though - which make sense as she does have that heavier and high-wooded S&S look about her. She finished 9th in Class B and 46th overall.

Golden-Eagle-900.jpg

Richard is correct Larry, Golden Eagle is an S & S 52' design and was in fact the last all timber yacht built by Eric Goetze. By 1984 she had been repainted white and appeared at SORC in that livery. She sailed all over the world including a succesful Cowes Week before coming down under to Australia a number of years ago. She was raced out of Melbourne by Denis Spinley under her new name Serenity 11 but retains the original sail number. I sold her for Denis about 3 years ago at which time she was still in quite nice condition. I understand she is listed for sale again in Sydney.

Her birdseye maple interior woodwork was quite special and remains in lovely condition.See photos:

post-449-0-83644300-1372167939_thumb.jpgpost-449-0-19208300-1372167951_thumb.jpgpost-449-0-40652700-1372167986_thumb.jpgpost-449-0-22434300-1372168030_thumb.jpgpost-449-0-71476000-1372168156_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but you must have your dates somewhat confused,

since this was the 1984 SORC and she was obviously not painted white, yet.

Carat. Victor Forss, Stockholm, Sweden. Frers 51. 1983 SORC, Class B, rated 40.0. Miami to Nassau Race.

New-Carat-83E-900-BICS.jpg

Victor (we called him "Whicktor") was a cool guy. Whatever happened to him? I believe that boat was the prior Retaliation? Still alive on the Great Lakes I believe.

Darling of Toronto. Petersen/Storer, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Frers 38. 1983 SORC Class E, rated 30.3. Miami to Nassau Race.

Darling-of-Toronto-new-scan-900-1.jpg

Evergreen and Mea Culpa. 1983 SORC. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Mea-Culpa-and-Evergreen-83-SORC-W-900.jp

Bump

Sassy thread got me looking back here. (See post #889 for Sassy in better days) Sassy may not have been fast but Damn she looked pretty.

And as Fernando (Billy Crystal) used to say on SNL, "It's much better to look good than to feel good"

Back in the day, Sassy, "You Looked Marvelous!"

Quest. R. Lynds, Melbourne FL. Rodgers 42. 1984 SORC Class D, rated 31.8. (New scan.)

Quest-84-SORC-1024-1024-1.jpg

So .... Madame Ratzel (Amiot) quite fancied buying Secret Love as a pressie for her man (this was her sporting period), but the deal didn't look good, so we went hot on Evergreen ... till she rang me in the middle of the night to say "stop!!! Patrice could fall out the back, the cockpit is open ....", so, next, poor Tommy had to chase a freighter up the eastern seaboard in his truck to get Mea Culpa to Europe in time. One of the best guys I ever did business with, wicked humour, off the wall but honest to the n'th degree and laughing at those who thought otherwise.

Larry, thanks for stirring up great memories AGAIN.

Evergreen and Mea Culpa. 1983 SORC. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Mea-Culpa-and-Evergreen-83-SORC-W-900.jp

While scanning a shitload of old 1980 AC negatives I came across this one of FUJIMO in Newport...

post-50798-0-92116400-1374849759_thumb.jpg

Stars & Stripes. Bill Martin, BYC. NM 39. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 3, rated 30.0.

Stars-amp-Stripes-from-Slide-900.jpg

While scanning a shitload of old 1980 AC negatives I came across this one of FUJIMO in Newport...

Thank you - while fujimo is in the picture -you missed mentioning TERN - ( ex Love Machine ) owned by Mark Usiskin is rafted outboard. I sailed with Mark for many years on countless boats of his. He had this Tern was only a year - before replacing it with Golden Daisey

Tern. Mark Usiskin, Raritan YC. Peterson 42. 1983 SORC, Sailed in Class D, rated IOR 32.5.

(Here, I have corrected misspellings in Mark's last name which appeared in old thread. Two typos.)

Tern3120083SORC900.jpg

There's more on Tern on the first thread, here...

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=113336&page=28

============================

Listed in 1983 STW Results Booklet as finishing 6th in IOR Class 2 for the week.

aaizyh.jpg

Thank you! ( sadly you put the date of BI race week ( 83) how long ago that was - and I am now forced to realize just how old i am )

All the advancements in boat design since then sure haven't made them better looking. Damn those things were (are) gorgeous.

Artemis. A. Emil, NY, NY. Peterson 51. 1983 SORC Class B, rated IOR 40.6. Miami to Nassau Race.

Artemis-83-SORC-E-900-signed.jpg

Artemis. A. Emil, NY, NY. Peterson 51. 1983 SORC Class B, rated IOR 40.6. Miami to Nassau Race.

Fack, I count 14 bodies. At some point IOR put a "Maximum Crew: Weight Limit" in the Certs. My old cert from 1992 has max weight of 3,504 lbs for a rating of 52.8. At 200lb each I can't imagine stuffing 17 bodies on the boat. IOR means . . . ?

TOG

Fack, I count 14 bodies. At some point IOR put a "Maximum Crew: Weight Limit" in the Certs. My old cert from 1992 has max weight of 3,504 lbs for a rating of 52.8. At 200lb each I can't imagine stuffing 17 bodies on the boat. IOR means . . . ?

TOG

14 would be about right. Limiting number for crew was how many you needed to pull off a heavy-air racing gybe without major propblems.

For the IOR 50's it was 14:

1 bow
1 mast
1 topping lift
1 foreguy
2 spin sheet tailers
1 spin sheet grinder
2 aftguy tailers
2 aftguy grinders
1 mainsheet
1 mainsheet grinder
1 driver
For IOR maxis it was 29

TOG

14 would be about right. Limiting number for crew was how many you needed to pull off a heavy-air racing gybe without major propblems.

1 bow
1 mast
1 topping lift
1 foreguy
2 spin sheet tailers
1 spin sheet grinder
2 aftguy tailers
2 aftguy grinders
1 mainsheet
1 mainsheet grinder
1 driver
For IOR maxis it was 29

Errr.... I forgot the two critical guys on the runners....

TOG

1 bow
1 mast
1 topping lift
1 foreguy
2 spin sheet tailers
1 spin sheet grinder
2 aftguy tailers
2 aftguy grinders
1 mainsheet
1 mainsheet grinder
1 driver
For IOR maxis it was 29

That is the spar builders wet dream.

For the Maxi it is double the 14 plus one medic.

TOG

1 bow
1 mast
1 topping lift
1 foreguy
2 spin sheet tailers
1 spin sheet grinder
2 aftguy tailers
2 aftguy grinders
1 mainsheet
1 mainsheet grinder
1 driver
For IOR maxis it was 29

That is the spar builders wet dream.

For the Maxi it is double the 14 plus one medic.

Keeping the boat under the rig was vital. Keeping the rig above the boat ditto. Runner loads became impressive, even on masthead boats.

For the maxi:

1 bow (jamming wire aftguy into pole and screaming 'made')
2 mid-bow (throwing the babystay and inner forestay over the pole and pumping on the hydraulics after the gybe)
1 mast (tripping, then bumping topping lift)
1 topping lift
1 foreguy
2 spin sheet tailers
4 spin sheet grinders
2 aftguy tailers
6 aftguy grinders
1 mainsheet tailer
2 mainsheet grinders
1 centering then dropping traveller
1 on old runner
2 on new runner
1 driver
1 owner (writing checks)

Ya all missed the guy that appears to be standing on the reversed transom behind the helmsman. Slacker, but sometimes called the "Pro" or maybe tactician?

Ya all missed the guy that appears to be standing on the reversed transom behind the helmsman. Slacker, but sometimes called the "Pro" or maybe tactician?

If his arms are folded he's the tactician.

I know some of the C&C 61's were mentioned in one of these threads. Sorry, no pictures, but we were cruising last week and saw "Brassy" pull in to Leland, MI in the evening.

Looked well cared for. Has twin headrig; they dropped the inner roller furler when they got in. Also has quite the canvas enclosure for the the forward cockpit at the dock- standing headroom, bigger than some sunrooms :)

Someone on the dock told me the interior has all been redone, but didn't intrude as it looked like maybe she was in family cruising mode.

Wunder Bear. Clarence Blackwell. AYC. CHT 48. Storm Trysail Week 1983, Block Island RI. IOR Class 1, rated 38.2.

WunderBeartoWeatherToo.png

What does CHT mean? I found the scratch sheet for 1983 STW, but it only has abbreviations for designers.

Sailed on her that year here on the bay... i remember it being cold and her kevlar#3 really heavy...lol

awesome thread..!!

Migizi. H.M. Baskerville. Farr 37. 1983 SORC Class F, rated IOR 28.9. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Migizi-at-Angle-83-W-900-BIC.jpg

Hello all,

My first post here. Love the site, been looking through the posts here and there, and got onto this thread. This is a fantastic thread, very interesting thanks for the history guys and girls.

I actually have an ex-racing IOR 1 tonner, recently purchased. I thought someone in this thread might know some history about her. Details I know about so far are:

Name: Lady Jane

Maker: Taylor Plastics Sydney

Designer: Ron Swanson

Model: Swanson 36

Year: 1973

Rig: Mast head cutter (I think looks original)

Race history: completed Sydney to Hobart race in 1973

She is a very nice looking boat: heavy and wide, nothing like the light ugly things seen going around courses these days.

Any info or help would be much appreciated. I will post some pics when I get some of her sailing.

Hello all,

My first post here. Love the site, been looking through the posts here and there, and got onto this thread. This is a fantastic thread, very interesting thanks for the history guys and girls.

I actually have an ex-racing IOR 1 tonner, recently purchased. I thought someone in this thread might know some history about her. Details I know about so far are:

Name: Lady Jane

Maker: Taylor Plastics Sydney

Designer: Ron Swanson

Model: Swanson 36

Year: 1973

Rig: Mast head cutter (I think looks original)

Race history: completed Sydney to Hobart race in 1973

She is a very nice looking boat: heavy and wide, nothing like the light ugly things seen going around courses these days.

Any info or help would be much appreciated. I will post some pics when I get some of her sailing.

Could she be this kind of boat ????

post-50842-0-21450500-1377020335_thumb.jpg

Chorus1 she looks like this:

LJatdusk.jpg

And out of the water:

P1050604.jpg

She's most definately not a Swanson 36... The blue boat from Chorus1 is a Swanson 36...

Has she got a name? If she was in a S2H in 73, she'd hopefully have her plaque on the bulkhead with her name at the time?

Edit: We probably shouldn't get into this on Larrys fantastic thread?

Obsession. James R. Andrew, FL. S&S 46. 1983 SORC Class C, rated IOR 34.43. Miami to Nassau Race.

Obsession-from-Windward-900.jpg

I never liked that stepped transom that S&S came up with - always looked like they were trying too hard just to make something different.

I never liked that stepped transom that S&S came up with - always looked like they were trying too hard just to make something different.

I always thought it looked like they ran out of paper just before they finished the boat, and just stopped drawing!

TUBBY

I always thought it looked like they ran out of paper just before they finished the boat, and just stopped drawing!

TUBBY

That transom looks like a full diaper, especially when painted white.

TUBBY

That transom looks like a full diaper, especially when painted white.

5'4" standing headroom below

Aquarius was a sister ship done with a normal transom and 6 foot headroom down below. She beat Amazing Grace for the Lake Ontario Cup (LYRA) and was sold to a guy in Chicago. Lost track of her after that. Think he was in the wrecking yard business and called her Wreckless. S&S did some mods so she could sail round the world but lost track of her after that. Anyone know anything of what happened to her? Was built of aluminum by Wiggers Custom Yachts.