Larry

Some of my old sailing photos 2

53 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Shop is a real head banger !

Sure, he store her two rigs as well and other boats. The Stearn mast is newly painted and the 4 spreader Sparcraft is in need for some TLC. She has been on the hard for two soon three years and will not move again until sold. I believe she is pretty original.

Great photos, bring back great memories! Everyone talks of 79 Fastnet, but 85 was much worse. Only, we started with 40 knots on the nose, so about two thirds of the fleet retired before Start Point. Only 3 AC teams got all 3 boats home, Germany, Australia and us Irish. After our rudder quadrant failure and retirement in the also breezy Channel Race, we had to come back fighting. Boat leaked through every deck fitting. About 100 gallons removed several times per day. Just fitted obligatory SSB was cocked up by Nudger's oppo, so screwed the alternator and starter motor. No power by Lands End. Heroic effort by Burke Corbett, farmer from Wexford, to start the engine, upwind in 50 knots, rocker cover off, manual decompress by a bunch of us with screwdrivers and string, batteries in series, to no avail. Followed my nose, found the rock, had a chat with a Dutch warship with the last of our handheld VHF battery on the way down, so the world knew we weren't lost .... Crew shot to pieces. Wattie's battery ran out at the Bishop, leaving 2 or 3 of us functioning. Scary beam reach under 3 reefs and #5 with no instruments, no electronic nav, horizontal rain ... Poor owner thought we were about to die, and lost it totally. Conditions were not nice, mast in the water a bunch of times that final night. Zombies disembarked in Plymouth, bumping into things. I could not sleep more than 30 minutes for 2 weeks. Only slept about 4 times that during the race.

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

Casual look from Pasqualle ....

Brava.JPG

• Like 1

On 8 April 2018 at 8:28 PM, Flirt of paget said:

Hero is still in really good shape, sails and instruments are outdated but hull, rig engine etc is well kept.

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0935 (1).JPG

Ah remember when we had a winch for every string!  And a different jib track for every time someone thought we were slow.

Kids today just won't believe you!

TUBBY

• Like 1

That Pasquale looks like he swallowed the courage of 8 men in that shot!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2014 at 2:04 AM, FinnFish said:

Being on the younger side could a knowledgeable old timer explain the jib tack being on tracks(?).

That white foresail is not the jib, but a Tall Boy spinnaker staysail. 

Found this photo from '89 Southern Cross.

Anybody recognize themselves?

I have a bunch more if interested.

image000000.jpg

On 7/8/2011 at 11:57 PM, Dawg said:

gallery_3_1_325464.jpg

Gary Swenson Driving

The Ed looking like he is trimming

Me Pushing out the Main after hoisting the Kite in about 2 seconds.... :lol: :lol:

And Vicki (gary's ex) in the bow

I think the photo is 80 or 81 nationals at CI Harbor.

And yes that is one of those early light weight Mylar kites, we called a "Quivering Cell" because in anything other than flat water they quivered and were not fun to trim or very fast.

Hey Gary, was that "Mas Rapido"?

4 minutes ago, Zerodegrees said:

Hey Gary DT, was that "Mas Rapido"?

fixte                                     :)

On 7/10/2012 at 10:36 PM, Larry said:

Sorcery. J.D. Wood, Newberry Park, CA. Mull 83. 1984 SORC, Class A, rated 70.0.

SorceryHorizCropedited.jpg

Are we sure it's not Newbury Park, CA?  Last time I saw the boat was up in Vallejo, CA 2012?

13 minutes ago, Zerodegrees said:

Are we sure it's not Newbury Park, CA?  Last time I saw the boat was up in Vallejo, CA 2012?

its definitely newbury park .

2 hours ago, Zerodegrees said:

She's in Redwood City now, looking a little sad.

Sorcery2018.jpg

On 6/28/2011 at 12:15 AM, Larry said:

Intuition. Peterson 42. 1984 SORC. Patrick Malloy. Sag Harbor NY. 1984 SORC Class D, rated IOR 32.7. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

IntuitionHeelingtoWeather84w.png

very cool shot