• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Larry

Some of my old sailing photos 2

I have this photo shown to me by a member of the Australia II syndicate.

Sorry, but I cannot recall his name. He was middle-aged and had sandy, curly hair,

though perhaps less than when younger.

Does anybody know the name of this man?

I wish now that I had photographed every one on their team. Sheesh.

I believe the drawing was from a patent application for the concept of a winged keel.

WingKeelPatentCloseup900LM.jpg

NOTE: Today, with less expensive digital photography, you can easily photograph everything you see, at low cost,

and share your photos on the internet (and 4x6 prints from snapfish, for example, cost only 9¢ each).

It's Ben Lexcen/Bob Miller :)

I have this photo shown to me by a member of the Australia II syndicate.

Sorry, but I cannot recall his name. He was middle-aged and had sandy, curly hair,

though perhaps less than when younger.

Does anybody know the name of this man?

I wish now that I had photographed every one on their team. Sheesh.

I believe the drawing was from a patent application for the concept of a winged keel.

WingKeelPatentCloseup900LM.jpg

NOTE: Today, with less expensive digital photography, you can easily photograph everything you see, at low cost,

and share your photos on the internet (and 4x6 prints from snapfish, for example, cost only 9¢ each).

It's Ben Lexcen/Bob Miller :)

BenBob did not have "sandy, curly hair." Larry is asking the name of who showed him the sketch which is in the photo, not who drew the keel (which, in my opinion, was probably a lot of guys throwing a lot of ideas around, including, but not limited to, BenBob).

WTF is going on there? First I thought it was a bit of leach, then a sail bag...

More likely an old school spinnaker snake. Hoist the kite up in heavy air and then open the snake so it doesn't fill half way up. Looks like the boys my have forgot how to use the retrival line.

+1 For you youngsters, that is a long 'snake' a tube with a break apart zipper. Kite is stretched out & snuffed inside the tube, hoisted as a snake, than zipper split at bottom to allow kite to fill from bottom up. Bow had a retrieval line to bottom of sock. Looks like the head of this snake got tangled in the halyard shackle somehow, so snake was released to allow kite to fly. Distracting, but free sail area.

I'm checking my info on Gauntlet and will post more soon.

BTW, Buddy Friedrichs, the owner, had been an Olympic gold medalist earlier.

Until then, I can offer this...

After a death roll destroyed their chute (US 18188), Gauntlet's crew hoisted their old Italian-numbered chute.

"This is just after the most dramatic pole-exploding death roll of my life.

We were pinned down for some time with water pouring in the hatches.

Before the round-up we were flying a big solid red chute." - Ronnie LaNasa

My Note: It seems that remnants of the torn-up chute flew pennant-like until after dark when they finally got it down somehow.

Possible, but that's a hell of a doughnut to shred the spi all the way along the edge like that. Blame it on the afterguard then, not the bow man.

Possible, but that's a hell of a doughnut to shred the spi all the way along the edge like that. Blame it on the afterguard then, not the bow man.

Bowman are always right, it almost certainly had something to do with the guy trimmer.

Conspiracy. Neil Van Dyke. Eagle Harbor YC, Vancouver BC, Canada. Herreshoff 37. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 4, rated 26.7

Picture19-4.png

Conspiracy. Neil Van Dyke. Eagle Harbor YC, Vancouver BC, Canada. Herreshoff 37. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 4, rated 26.7

Picture19-4.png

????

I can throw a rock from EHYC from my boat to WVYC and I hung out at the club from the early '70's . I helped build a aluminum 3/4 tonner there in '77/'78. It's a small place and everyone knows everyone and don't remember the owner; or the boat. It was a long time ago so maybe that's not the boat or the owner.

That said you are give a big service for photos from the hay days of IOR, SORC and the ilk that about boats and people are in the catacombs of sailboat racing and for that we all thank you.

An outstanding thread my friend.

Kudos,

Maxx

Picture19-4.png

For the youngsters- this is a power reaching setup! Thanks Larry.

Picture19-4.png

And it's a Heritage 37 (Heritage 1-Ton (27.5 rater, with a little IOR MkIIIa age allowance dropping her down to 26.7)), not a Herreshoff design.

Picture19-4.png

And it's a Heritage 37 (Heritage 1-Ton (27.5 rater, with a little IOR MkIIIa age allowance dropping her down to 26.7)), not a Herreshoff design.

Land's End, Line Seven, or Sea Gear Foulies . What's your guess?

Ah, thanks, Heritage 37. 'HER' abbreviation threw me.

Thanks for the great pix of Gauntlet. I've sailed aboard her for the last 2 Chi-Mac's and to find an old pix was very nice indeed.

I am researching this boat to repair a soft spot in the rear cockpit, a honeycombed alum that has been damaged over the years. Tis was a Bennetti built yacht and I am after them direct but if anone has specific information I'd appreciate the bump.

JuMagGaFanny

Picture19-4.png

Atlantis

One more minor correction.... EHYC is Egg Harbor Yacht Club in WI. I sailed on "Conspiracy" on '87 "first" record breaker Chi-Mac. 2 on the tiller much of the way on that downhill run. :lol:

Picture19-4.png

Atlantis

Or Helly-Hansen!

One more minor correction.... EHYC is Egg Harbor Yacht Club in WI. I sailed on "Conspiracy" on '87 "first" record breaker Chi-Mac. 2 on the tiller much of the way on that downhill run. :lol:

Ahhh.......mystery solved!

I didn't think it was a Vancouver boat. Then again it doesn't necessarily mean the owner had a boat on the right coast. I'd would have know anyway. It's a smallish yacht club (a couple hundred members or so) and everyone knows each other. http://www.ehyc.org/

Thanks mate

Atlantis

Or Helly-Hansen!

Funny, I donated an old pair of Helly Hansons I had sitting in the closet to a boat short on gear about a month ago.

Cool. Thanks for accurate info on EHYC in Wisconsin, BayRacer.

No problem, Larry. Thanks for all the great photos. After almost 30 years these threads have been a blast.

I may have 2-3 scratch sheet booklets from '80's mac races still around.

IMG_16102011_162125.jpg

Love those hydraulics!!!!

Now which tap did what in the dark.

Doesn't matter the oil has all leaked all over the cockpit and now nothing works.

Makes me feel old.

TUBBY

Ya Stearn on the back-stay made me laugh. Brown oily decks. BUT FAST AS ALL HELL when they pumped the mast forward or aft to perfection.. .. .

IMG_16102011_162125.jpg

Love those hydraulics!!!!

Now which tap did what in the dark.

Doesn't matter the oil has all leaked all over the cockpit and now nothing works.

Makes me feel old.

TUBBY

Ya Stearn on the back-stay made me laugh. Brown oily decks. BUT FAST AS ALL HELL when they pumped the mast forward or aft to perfection.. .. .

Belive me, I still use the same hydraulics from Stern and they still works great on board of my Peterson 43, Panta Rhei (ex Schuttevaer).

Belive me, I still use the same hydraulics from Stern and they still works great on board of my Peterson 43, Panta Rhei (ex Schuttevaer).

Was that the Schuttevaer that was originally painted pale yellow on one side, and pale blue on the other? Confusing as all hell short-tacking up Cowes Green. "Keep your eye on the yellow Dutch boat." "What yellow boat?" "Shit, where did that blue one come from? Tack now!"

Was that the Schuttevaer that was originally painted pale yellow on one side, and pale blue on the other? Confusing as all hell short-tacking up Cowes Green. "Keep your eye on the yellow Dutch boat." "What yellow boat?" "Shit, where did that blue one come from? Tack now!"

I am not sure but, the yellow and blue boat was called "Schollevaer", Rogers 39.

Kialoa and Condor. 1983 SORC, Miami to Nassau Race. IOR Class A.

Picture5-36.png

Larry:

Could I have your permission to use the pic on CONSPIRACY in my upcoming GOB article on the IOR? Please.

I am looking for pics that show some of the more extreme examples or shape specific examples of IOR hulls. I need photographers permission and photo credit in order to use any pics.

Absolutely, Bob.

I suppose you are referring to Good Old Boat magazine.

You are welcome to use the Conspiracy image as you've described.

©1983 Larry Moran

Picture5-36.png

I love the IOR maxis. They were the height of everything I aspired too in sailing back when I was a kid. I was in awe of them and I actually got to race on a few. I have to chuckle now though thinking that today's TP52 is faster on every point of sail, even upwind!

Larry:

Could I have your permission to use the pic on CONSPIRACY in my upcoming GOB article on the IOR? Please.

I am looking for pics that show some of the more extreme examples or shape specific examples of IOR hulls. I need photographers permission and photo credit in order to use any pics.

Bob

I don't have a very well trained eye so I was wondering what that picture shows that would be considered extreme? Or is it more archetypal? Growing up in the 70's I find the IOR look to be attractive, and this one is no exception. (not saying you don't). I'd appreciate knowing your thoughts on this boat.

Thanks,

David

Columbine. Harry T. Colfer. MBYC. J30. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 5, rated 25.7.

Picture17-4.png

Picture5-36.png

I love the IOR maxis. They were the height of everything I aspired too in sailing back when I was a kid. I was in awe of them and I actually got to race on a few. I have to chuckle now though thinking that today's TP52 is faster on every point of sail, even upwind!

It is interesting to think about what a TP-52 will be doing when it's the age of Kialoa, Windward Passage, or others of that era. Can you imagine cruising on up to Maine in a TP-52???

BV

I was wondering who was going to ask that question.........

Picture5-36.png

It is interesting to think about what a TP-52 will be doing when it's the age of Kialoa, Windward Passage, or others of that era. Can you imagine cruising on up to Maine in a TP-52???

BV

I am not sure but, the yellow and blue boat was called "Schollevaer", Rogers 39.

The Schollevaer was a rodgers 39 launchend in 1979, the hull was dark blue. I was one of the crew members from 1980 tot 1982.

The schuttevaer before the 43 feet one is the boat with the two colors as far as i can remember

The Schollevaer was a rodgers 39 launchend in 1979, the hull was dark blue. I was one of the crew members from 1980 tot 1982.

The schuttevaer before the 43 feet one is the boat with the two colors as far as i can remember

Yes, I think you're right. The earlier Schuttevaer it was, about 38-39 feet I think. Dutch Admirals Cup team in 79. Van Dam family? Lovely people anyway, and a fine sense of humour.

Columbine. Harry T. Colfer. MBYC. J30. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 5, rated 25.7.

Picture17-4.png

Don't think that the name of that boat would go over too well today.

Larry:

In the spirit of the Volvo Race (nee Whitbread) do you have any photos from some of the old maxis that might have competed back then? Certainly condor comes to mind but I'm sure there are more in your archives.

Larry:

In the spirit of the Volvo Race (nee Whitbread) do you have any photos from some of the old maxis that might have competed back then? Certainly condor comes to mind but I'm sure there are more in your archives.

FYI, "Witless Round The Bend Race" IOR maxi list. (Did I forget any?)

1973-74

Great Britain II

Pen Duick VI

Burton Cutter

1977-78

Heath's Condor

Great Britain II

1981-82

Flyer II

United Friendly (ex-Great Britain II)

FCF Challenger

1985-86

UBS Switzerland

Cote D'Or

Drum

Lion New Zealand

New Zealand Enterprise

Atlantic Privateer

Norsk Data (ex-Great Britain II)

1989-90

Steinlager II

Fisher & Paykel

Merit

Rothmans

The Card

Charles Jourdain (ULDB, later Nicorette)

Fortuna

Gatorade

Union Bank of Finland

Fazisi

NCB ireland

Satquote British Defender

Liverpool Enterprise

Creightons Naturally

Martela OF

1993-94

New Zealand Endeavour

Merit Cup

La Poste

Uruguay Natural

Larry:

FYI, "Witless Round The Bend Race" IOR maxi list. (Did I forget any?)

1973-74

Great Britain II

Pen Duick VI

Burton Cutter

1977-78

Heath's Condor

Great Britain II

1981-82

Flyer II

United Friendly (ex-Great Britain II)

FCF Challenger

1985-86

UBS Switzerland

Cote D'Or

Drum

Lion New Zealand

New Zealand Enterprise

Atlantic Privateer

Norsk Data (ex-Great Britain II)

1989-90

Steinlager II

Fisher & Paykel

Merit

Rothmans

The Card

Charles Jourdain (ULDB, later Nicorette)

Fortuna

Gatorade

Union Bank of Finland

Fazisi

NCB ireland

Satquote British Defender

Liverpool Enterprise

Creightons Naturally

Martela OF

1993-94

New Zealand Endeavour

Merit Cup

La Poste

Uruguay Natural

73 winner Sayula!!! Mexican Swan-a-bago

You're a Bay sailor do you remember the year that the sled "Silver Bullet" did a leg of the race?

Sayula II wasn't a maxi, though. I didn't put up the WHOLE list.

Don't remember silver Bullet. I was a Limey back then anyway.

do you remember the year that the sled "Silver Bullet" did a leg of the race?

Silver Bullet (SC-70) did a leg of the Whitbread? Never heard that... would love to hear the story.

do you remember the year that the sled "Silver Bullet" did a leg of the race?

Silver Bullet (SC-70) did a leg of the Whitbread? Never heard that... would love to hear the story.

Flowerman would know if you run into him.

Ah, crap. I knew about their trans-at crossing but my tired brain interpreted the above as "Silver Bullet was entered in the Whitbread, but only sailed one leg..." They didn't actually race *in* the Whitbread, they paced the Whitbread fleet across the Atlantic.

Is it happy hour yet?

Tom Blackaller memory.

The original photo has a lot of noise, so I applied some noise reduction.

Cropped and enlarged, it's rather blurry, but I still like it.

Picture9-22.png

l'd love to hear some more great stories about Tom.

Tom Blackaller memory.

Picture9-22.png

He loved to use the line "I'm a pro-sailor" in the bar!

That is a wild looking house/hard dodger arrangement on the boat. Would love more shots!

Thunderhead. Paul & Charles Hoffman. STC. Storm Trysail Week, 1983, Block Island. IOR, Class 1.

Picture3-39.png

I sailed on Thunderhead as a youngster a few times. Wasn't it constructed out of steel?

Spitfire. H.E. MC Brayer, Cedar Point YC. Peterson 37. 1983 Storm Trysail Week. IOR Class 5, rated 28.6.

SpitfireBI900c.png

I thought Spitfire should have a new, accurate post. Besides, I really like the photo. : )

So do I! :)

Tom Blackaller memory.

Picture9-22.png

I think I've already mentioned this story about Tom, but its worth repeating. When Bill Martin's Star and Stripes (The Nelson/Marek One Tonner/Canada's Cupper) was brand new it was just launched and sitting in a slip at Bayview YC. When Blackaller walked up to the boat, he threw his bag down on the dock, hopped up on the foredeck and started jumping up and down. The foredeck oil-canned up and down about 6 inches under his weight. He looked back at Mr. Bill, whose jaw dropped down to the dock, and said, "It'll be fast."

Same boat (currently Claddagh in Marblehead), during a shakedown sail the steering cable broke. Not exact quote but something like (while spinning the useless wheel) "I can see it in the papers tomorrow - famous sailboat racer dies in Detroit River - I deserve better"

That is a wild looking house/hard dodger arrangement on the boat. Would love more shots!

Thunderhead. Paul & Charles Hoffman. STC. Storm Trysail Week, 1983, Block Island. IOR, Class 1.

Picture3-39.png

I sailed on Thunderhead as a youngster a few times. Wasn't it constructed out of steel?

Aluminum I believe

Patriot. Leonard A. Lehman. CCYC. C&C 33. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race, MHS Section 6, rated 100.0.

Picture17-5.png

Heritage. Donahue Wildman/Sea Scouts. CYC, Col YC, SEAS. Converted 12-meter.

1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race, IOR Section 1, rated IOR 55.2.

Picture4-56.png

Picture4-56.png

Cool pic, don't know who took it (I think it is floating around one of these forums) but another favorite is heritage with broken mast and the Edmund Fitzgerald in the back round.

Picture4-56.png

Cool pic, don't know who took it (I think it is floating around one of these forums) but another favorite is heritage with broken mast and the Edmund Fitzgerald in the back round.

photo-4.jpg

As I heard the story, the photo was taken by Eric Schlageter - who was an all round good guy and a drew some great boats.

A few more memories came to me after my previous post.   First one was tacking in 'very' close to the Great Isaac Lighthouse at night after crossing the gulf stream.  I thought we were going to taste the bricks before we tacked away!   The second one was rounding Cape Maisi on the Western end of Cuba.   Another late at night event and we were very close to the point, well within Cuban territorial waters.   A few years prior, patrol boats captured a race boat and detained the crew for a while.   There was quite an air of tension on the boat until we got back outside of their territorial waters.   We were lights out and had the running lights dimmed to squeak around that point so that we could free up and set the spinnaker for the final run to Montego Bay.

Except for the 'political drama,' it was a wonderful experience to have crewed on such a storied vessel and the team mates were all great people.   I had more fun than I can express in words!

I have photos somewhere in storage and will get them scanned and posted soon.

Thanks. It's the comments, as well as the pictures, that make this a great thread.

Oh, for a shot of Norm Raben's La Forza Del Destino. The black one, flush deck as I recall, with the name in large gold leaf. Around in the early 70's. New England, maybe more.

Great boat. First boat I ever tried spinnaker flying on. Anchored off Rose Island as I recall, cruising back from Nassau after the SORC. Can't remember what year. 

Challenge 12. Owned by a number of Australian businessmen from Victoria headed by Dick Pratt. 1983 America's Cup participant, Newport RI.

Skippered by John Savage.

Challenge 12 was also designed by Lexcen and sold to the Victorian challenge after the Bond syndicate selected Australia II. [2] She was a fast, traditional 12 Meter,

and lacked the winged keel of her sister boat Australia II. John Bertrand favored her initially, but was talked into sailing the new design by Alan Bond. She may have

been superior to Australia II in heavy winds, and was a real threat to the men from the West of Australia.

Picture3-9.png

It looks like Ben Lexcen and Alan Bond made the right choice, as winds tended to be light in 1983, especially when compared to Fremantle.

I wish Liberty had raced against Challenge 12 instead. Another 20/20 post mortem.

Here's more on Challenge 12...

Challenge 12. Owned by a number of Australian businessmen from Victoria headed by Dick Pratt. 1983 America's Cup participant, Newport RI.

Challenge 12 was also designed by Lexcen and sold to the Victorian challenge after the Bond syndicate selected Australia II. [2] She was a fast, traditional 12 Meter,

and lacked the winged keel of her sister boat Australia II. John Bertrand favored her initially, but was talked into sailing the new design by Alan Bond. She may have

been superior to Australia II in heavy winds, and was a real threat to the men from the West of Australia.

Picture3-9.png

It looks like Ben Lexcen and Alan Bond made the right choice, as winds tended to be light in 1983, especially when compared to Fremantle.

I wish Liberty had raced against Challenge 12 instead. Another 20/20 post mortem.

Challenge 12 ended up in France (IIRC as an '87 cup trial horse), She was, much later, fully refurbished by a french owner and was leading the Med fleet in the early 2K's. She was then shipped to Newport and competed in the 2009 Worlds.

Picture3-9.png

Not so sure, against Challenge 12 it probarly would have been 4-0 to Australia.

Try to find a story about the match up between the boats in Melbourne before shipping to the US

It had a predomiantly non professional crew and not the rig/sail development of A2

Picture4-56.png

photo-4.jpg

As I heard the story, the photo was taken by Eric Schlageter - who was an all round good guy and a drew some great boats.

Thanks Thorn for posting the pic. If the guys on heritage only new what was coming for the Fitz it would make their problems at the time look pretty small.

Nirvana. Marvin Green, Pedrick 81. 1983 SORC, Miami to Nassua Race, Claas A, rated IOR 70.0.

Nirvana1983SORC.png

Nirvana. Marvin Green, Pedrick 81. 1983 SORC, Miami to Nassua Race, Claas A, rated IOR 70.0.

Nirvana1983SORC.png

That is a fantastically beautiful shot! I know it's just the angle, but it looks like the mast is about 3X the length of the boat. Even so, that looks like a powerful machine. THanks

Everywhere I went I saw the Coast Guard helping sailors race and offering assistance to photographers.

They did a great job as I see it. They deserve my thanks.

DistantEagleandChasev21024.jpg

Lobo and Heritage. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race.

Picture3-57.png

Here's another photo of Triumph from the 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. C&C 61. IOR Section 1.

Triumph2.png

Here's another photo of Triumph from the 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. C&C 61. IOR Section 1.

Triumph2.png

Cool shot, any of the third sister "Kohinoor" that also spent time on the lakes during that period? I remember seeing the boat in '83 for the first time and as I recall it was just after a refit at C&C and she was looking pretty spectacular-loved the huge frac rig.

Tom Blackaller memory.

Picture9-22.png

There is a video interview of Tom Blackaller seated on a sail boat talking about the boats in the current { then} AC , 12s? Something like this "These boats are slow as slugs. We've got fast boats, multi hulled boat going round the world at speeds ..... Id love to see them in the AC." He'd be HAPPY with the AC boats this time around. This video is close but not the one I remember.

Uploaded by LisaBlackaller on Jan 7, 2011

I just had to share

with old friends in the America's Cup world. This video clips and interview were done with my dad prior to his untimely death in 1989. He would certainly be thrilled and amazed that, yes in fact, the America's Cup IS coming to San Francisco Bay, and it IS being sailed in fast catamarans! Too bad he is not alive to share in all the excitement. He would love it all.

Everywhere I went I saw the Coast Guard helping sailors race and offering assistance to photographers.

Larry, when are where was this taken? I am assuming east coast since that looks like the cutter Eagle and she doesn't make it to the left coast often. Just trying to narrow down which 378' cutter that is with it in the picture since I spent a lot of time on one

Larry, when are where was this taken? I am assuming east coast since that looks like the cutter Eagle and she doesn't make it to the left coast often.

Just trying to narrow down which 378' cutter that is with it in the picture since I spent a lot of time on one

Since you ask, Trendsetter, I believe the Coast Guard 378-foot cutter was USCGC Chase (WHEC-718).

I took the photo at the America's Cup in Newport RI in 1983. I was there for 7 weeks, during 3 trips there,

This renowned cutter currently operates out of San Diego. (This was current a couple of years ago; not sure where she is stationed now.)

Although I can't give you the exact dates easily now, I can tell you that the photo with Eagle was taken on a later day during the Finals.

Since you served aboard her, perhaps you'd like this image for your computer. Use as desired, if you wish. : )

Here's USCGC Chase in a portrait. Use as desired, for any nice purpose. Permission granted. : )

Picture2-73.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Chase_(WHEC-718)

Larry, when are where was this taken? I am assuming east coast since that looks like the cutter Eagle and she doesn't make it to the left coast often. Just trying to narrow down which 378' cutter that is with it in the picture since I spent a lot of time on one

When I first saw this photo, I had the irreverant thought: "Gee the Eagle sure had to shorten sail a bunch to allow that 378' Cutter to keep up" :rolleyes:

Gambit. Wasilew/Firks, CYC. Peterson 32. MHS Section 5, rated 622.8.

GambitPET32.png

Gambit. Wasilew/Firks, CYC. Peterson 32. MHS Section 5, rated 622.8.

Actually a PT-32 (Plas-Trend Boats). Designed by Britt Chance (who also did the PT-30).

Man, I have too much IOR design trivia rattling around in my cranium...