Larry

Some of my old sailing photos 2

looks like a bilge on port side (Upwind) ....

Shadow on the shot or reality ??????????????

Hi, chorus1. If you are referring to the photo of Liberty,

her lower port side just looks wet to me, probably tacked shortly before.

There is a shadow toward the stern section.

The port side has not been edited except to remove two tiny dust specks that were on my 54x70mm negative.

I'm told that Liberty is in Newport, but I have no more info at this time.

I'm checking further, will report back when certain.

Ranger! Yes another C&C 61. I had forgotten about that one. Sassy/Brassy, Joli/Triumph/Joli, Sorcery, Ranger. Were there any others?

I sailed on one called Robon, it was chartered by the Morton family and renamed Brigadoon, did some sailing in Narragansett Bay, Annapolis and the Bermuda Race, all in mid-70's?

To the list I think I would add Helisara/Kohinoor, not sure what it is called now but a ketch version that was once called Barbara's Song(slighly different deck), a stretch version (66') originally called Phantom and I think in the last year or so there was one for sale in the Med, not sure what is was/is/was originally called. Thanks for posting Larry, they are really beautiful boats

Happy belated birthday Larry!

Thanks for all the great shots, even though they make me feel a bit old!

Tom

Today I heard that Liberty is in the Med but source was not sure either, so I still do not know.

Motivation. Garrett & Hirshberg. NM 45. 1983 SORC, Class C, rated IOR 35.6. Miami to Nassau Race.

Motivation-83SORC-E-944.jpg

Lady Be. F. Chalain, France. Frers 46 (Scratch Sheet says 44'). St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race, Class C, rated IOR 35.2.

Lady-Be-900.jpg

Motivation. Garrett & Hirshberg. NM 45. 1983 SORC, Class C, rated IOR 35.6. Miami to Nassau Race.

I remember this boat from the photos at the bar at CRYC, anyone remember who owned it?

Lady Be. F. Chalain, France. Frers 46 (Scratch Sheet says 44'). St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race, Class C, rated IOR 35.2.

A nice pic to the memory of François Chalain, the man who dreamt, started, master-minded and ticked all boxes of Beneteau sailing lines, from the mid 70s to the early days of this century.

Little known but a true giant of the sailing industry.

I remember this boat from the photos at the bar at CRYC, anyone remember who owned it?

laserandy...

In one of the information sheets, I found owner listed as Ed Lorence, Torrance CA. But scratch sheet says Garrett & Hirshberg. Not sure of reason for inconsistency, and a yacht club is not mentioned in either source.

Some Old AC 1980 dockside photos. ©1980 Paul J Mello

That spot of Courageous is now full of slips, Bowen's Wharf. Great coffee shop at the head of the pier, rooms for rent above that as well.

Welcome to SA, Paul.

Nice black and white photos you took at the docks at Newport.

Nice to see some photos up close and personal with crew.

What was the one fellow looking at through a magnifying glass in the third photo?

Perhaps somebody here can identify the guys in your pics.

Lady-Be-900.jpg

Lady Be is now sailing in Holland

Re Motivation: Ed Lawrence was the sail maker/pro on board, no ownership share. The three NM 45 sisterships barely made it to the SORC, the last one was being finished during the series/. The outgassing of styrenes etc was so bad the crewe slept on deck, & avoided going below for any length of time. One had the mast step structure collapse, one had the quadrant detach from the rudder post (only attached by sheet metal screws), can't remember what happened to the third boat. They were quick & could have won class if they had held together.

The boat I was on, Secret Love, was slow off the wind (for the class) due to a short waterline - so for the Miami - NASSAU RACE (BREEZY DOWNWIND ACROSS THE STREAM) our start tactics were to stay glued to her transom to get a tow. Worked great for a couple of hours until we muffed a spi change & fell of the back.

Anyone know of the current 'Motivation' ? It was down in SoCal for quite a while and hopefully well past it's styrene years...

Welcome to SA, Paul.

What was the one fellow looking at through a magnifying glass in the third photo?

The guy with the magnifier was just spoofing for a Japanese journalist that was interviewing the crew. And in keeping with SA tradition, do you think the guy chatting up the lady got to take off his Line7's that night?

Welcome to SA, Paul.

The guy with the magnifier was just spoofing for a Japanese journalist that was interviewing the crew. And in keeping with SA tradition, do you think the guy chatting up the lady got to take off his Line7's that night?

I thought the guy with the magnifying glass was DC. Maybe not though. As for the Line 7's, well if you had 'em you fluanted them.

Judging from the direction of the shadows, he might have been trying to light a fire on the back of his mate's hand....

I thought the guy with the magnifying glass was DC. Maybe not though.

Definitely not DC. I'm going to guess JW Wright and {Don? Ron?) Kohlman

Here's another photo of Motivation after start of Miami to Nassau Race, 1983 SORC.

Motivation. Garrett & Hirshberg. NM 45. Class C, rated IOR 35.6.

Motivation-Miami-to-Nassau-Race-900.jpg

Pmello:

You have one photo of two guys on a big lawn working on a sail. I think I have met the guy on the left in San Fran. Would you happen to know the name of that guy. I think if I squint hard it might come to me but it was a few years back.

Pmello:

You have one photo of two guys on a big lawn working on a sail. I think I have met the guy on the left in San Fran. Would you happen to know the name of that guy. I think if I squint hard it might come to me but it was a few years back.

Looks like Conn Findlay, DC's Tempest crew from 1976. Sailed on Freedom that year.

edit: not sure about the spin with 26 on it, as that is a Courageous spin and Freedom was 30. Unless that happened to be a '74 photo, but I would not question PMello over his pic. Maybe a borrowed chute?

92:

Exactly. Now I remember the name. Conn Findlay.

He gave me instructions on how to row a shell at Tinsley Island..

Thanks.

Here's another photo of Motivation after start of Miami to Nassau Race, 1983 SORC.

Motivation. Garrett & Hirshberg. NM 45. Class C, rated IOR 35.6.

Motivation-Miami-to-Nassau-Race-900.jpg

Ben Garrett? Newport Beach, CA?

Had a Santana 25 Quarter-Tonner in 1971 or 1972 named "Victory"? (Woof!!)

The name on the side was in that exact same style.

Some Old AC 1980 crew photos. ©1980 Paul J Mello

The guy in the middle pic with the beard looks like a the one who was doing a repair on Clipper's stern in my video from 1980, talking about all the contact that was going-on. They did not name him, though.

This is good stuff, keep it coming!

post-50798-0-86678300-1355519821_thumb.jpg

I am certain that the man standing furthest back in this crowd is Kyle Smith, grinder from New Orleans. And I'm pretty sure he's the same guy holding the magnifying glass.

Third from the right is definitely the extraordinary Jack Sutphen.

Yup, I think your right!

Ah, the old "WP" pullover shells, made about 3 blocks from where I lived in Newport Beach. Very 1980s. Random trivia, the breast pocket was specifically designed to hold your Heineken securely during Beercan race maneuvers....

I always appreciated Ted Hood's trim and Robin's performance over the years.

Robin. Ted Hood. HOOD 51. 1984 SORC, Boca Grande and Return. Class C, rated 33.7.

Robin-892-bw-1.jpg

Not what most here would consider a racing boat, but the sail trim is perfect.

Thanks once again Larry

FB (always!)- Doug

I thought it was sized to fit a Lowenbrau? Still have one. Doesn't fit any more.

You still have a Lowenbrau? Awesome!

Did the bottles get bigger and that's why it won't fit in the ol' WP?

I hear that glass can swell up with age... derp.png

Victory. Victor J. (and Linda) Cribb. Homestead FL. Frers 48. 1984 SORC Class B, rated IOR 37.3. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Victory-83-SORC-W-900.jpg

On the third "what a cute boy Brunoooooooooooo " lol

The skin of this kind of mast was not so smooth, look at the photo's reflection :)

Rives Potts in photo #3, current owner of Carina and doing well on the racecourse with a 40 year old boat.

92:

Exactly. Now I remember the name. Conn Findlay.

He gave me instructions on how to row a shell at Tinsley Island..

Thanks.

Conn was probably the best person to get rowing tips from becasue he could row anything well. He once rowed a large whale gusher pump in the hanging locker of the S&S ULDB Sirona, all the way from Rebecca Shoals to Lauderdale. He was also the warmest person on the boat (there was ice on the lawn in St. Pete that morning).

Razzle Dazzle. Ted Irwin, Clearwater FL. Irwin 42. 1984 SORC, Class E, rated IOR 31.6. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Razzle-Dazzle-900-sharpened.jpg

Some Old AC 1980 dockside photos. ©1980 Paul J Mello

Why 359 downloads to the guy up the mast photo? It's by far the most popular photo. What's the reason?

Who is Ted talking to?

John Rousmaniere?

Frank B. Lawson Jr of the AP (confirmed)...

That would be Britt designing spreaders on the fly….

Huh, I thought that looked more like Ben Lexcen (Robert Miller). . . but I may be wrong, it was a long time ago.

That would be Britt designing spreaders on the fly….

Huh, I thought that looked more like Ben Lexcen (Robert Miller). . . but I may be wrong, it was a long time ago.

your right it is Ben Lexcen (Robert Miller)

In one of my AC videos OS talks about how " the bows (of the 12m's) have remained basically the same since Vim, the sterns have changed quite a bit....."

This was in reference to Enterprise and the changes from Courageous.

Aggressive. I have no information on this boat anymore. Please assist with all of the details.

This photo was taken in Chicago and may have been at the time of the North American One Ton Championships in 1987.

Aggressive-1024.jpg

Aggressive. I have no information on this boat anymore. Please assist with all of the details.

This photo was taken in Chicago and may have been at the time of the North American One Ton Championships in 1987.

Aggressive-1024.jpg

Looks like a J/N 40-Wiggers ala Quick Willy and other sisters?

Aggressive-1024.jpg

Yep, a J/N 40. But I don't think a Wiggers build - perhaps French, owned by Frank Piku from Bayview YC. Pic definitely looks like '87 1-Ton NA's in Chicago.

Razzle Dazzle. Ted Irwin, Clearwater FL. Irwin 42. 1984 SORC, Class E, rated IOR 31.6. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Anyone know what ever became of Razzle Dazzle? Always admired the lines of this Irwin design.

Aggressive-1024.jpg

Yep, a J/N 40. But I don't think a Wiggers build - perhaps French, owned by Frank Piku from Bayview YC. Pic definitely looks like '87 1-Ton NA's in Chicago.

That was the former Sprint, no? John Stephen's boat from BYC. A J/N one ton, ala Diva.

That is a great photo! Looks like Ben is pointing at a failed spreader root, and the replacement is being fabricated.

post-24046-0-44455500-1357356817.jpg

France 3. Skipper: Bruno Troublé. 12-Meter. 1983 America's Cup.

The syndicate was financed by Yves Roussert-Rouard who had purchased the boat from Marcel Bich who had financed the first four French challenges.

France-3-Horizontal-1024.jpg

Aggressive-1024.jpg

That was the former Sprint, no? John Stephen's boat from BYC. A J/N one ton, ala Diva.

This is the old SPRINT from Detroit. Yes a J/N ! ton owned by Frank. nick name Chicken Hawk

post-63509-0-58066600-1357675527.jpg1st off..been a lurker for years...but here is the obligatory pic of your GF/Wife's tits. So now fuck off and let me ask a question.

I would like to know if anyone has any info or pictures of Tatoosh, the Frers 47, built at Minnefords in 77' I think, and was owned by Bob Hutton. It won the 1980 Sardinia cup w/ Merry Thought, and Arcadia.

Flirt of Paget. D. Trimingham. Paget, Bermuda. Holland 40. 1984 SORC, Class F. Rated 30.0. Boca Grande and Return.

Flirt-of-Paget-new-900.jpg.

Someone was looking for pics of Flirt, ex Spritzer, built in NZ from kauri for the AC trials in 1980 (AC 81). Swuzzlebubble, Wee Willie Winkie (Epiglass NZ / Epic Lass) and Inca (Marac) got selected.

Flirt was one of a string of XXX of Paget boats owned by the Trimminghams, Shorty in this case.

Flirt of Paget. D. Trimingham. Paget, Bermuda. Holland 40. 1984 SORC, Class F. Rated 30.0.

same boat in fix it anarchy?

http://forums.sailin...c=117372&st=300

Flirt of Paget. D. Trimingham. Paget, Bermuda. Holland 40. 1984 SORC, Class F. Rated 30.0.

same boat in fix it anarchy?

http://forums.sailin...c=117372&st=300

yeah.

Poltergeist. Lester A. Henning. Former Commodore, Columbia YC, Chicago. Later of Racine YC. RIP, Al, Dana, and Joel.

http://www.racineyac...ng_memorial.htm

Poltergeist-from-Side-NICE-1024aaa.jpg

Anyone know what ever became of Razzle Dazzle? Always admired the lines of this Irwin design.

Anyone know who helped draw those lines you like? Was Bruce Kelly still there when Raz Daz 2,(above) was drawn?

Poltergeist-from-Astern-1024.jpg

Short shorts...why!?

Why? Because it was 1985 or 86 I think so that's why. Bill Buchan had one of those Beney 1 tons. If memory serve the "Seattle contingent" got a third in BIg Boat that year. When BBS meant something.

Here is Copperhead number one sailing on Erie Bay in 1971. One of the few times in my life I could claim to hold the international Championship on any boat. Nobody else had even taken it for a ride yet.

Knowing that, I stood up in the boat and announced, "First guy to sail this out of the harbor is the International Champ."

So, there I am, out of the harbor and self crowned International Copperhead Class Champion.

War Baby. Warren A. Brown. Bermuda. S&S 62. 1983 SORC, Class A, rated IOR 44.2. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Palmer-Johnson build. Displacement 36 tons, height of mast, 86 feet.

ex-Dora IV, ex-Tenacious, previously owned by Lynn WIlliams, then by Ted Turner.

Winner of 1979 Fastnet Race.

This boat was the pride of most Chicago sailors when owned and sailed as Dora IV on Lake Michigan by Lynn Williams.

Re: Lake Michigan

Quote below from webpage at http://www.sailingma...ures/14-the-mac

...But it is Turner who is perhaps most famous for underestimating the race. Having never sailed the Mac before,

Turner was warned that Lake Michigan can dish up some particularly challenging conditions at times.

Having thousands of ocean miles under his belt, Turner's reply was akin to a guffaw: "Yeah, I'm really scared."

Later, with his 12-Meter American Eagle and his crew bruised and battered in a fearsome northerly gale,

Turner famously proclaimed, "I hereby publicly retract anything and everything I have ever said about inland sailing."

Picture9-3.png

Here's another treat from 2004 featuring some of War Baby's exploits... http://www.latitude3...anges11-04.html

Hey Scotty!

Venturous. Sail No, 26067. Kent Vandevrede, Muskegon YC. C&C 43. Chicago to Mackinac Race, IOR Section 2.

Yacht rated IOR 32.5 in 1983, but this photo is from 1981.

Venturous-1024.jpg

Here is Copperhead number one sailing on Erie Bay in 1971. One of the few times in my life I could claim to hold the international Championship on any boat. Nobody else had even taken it for a ride yet.

Knowing that, I stood up in the boat and announced, "First guy to sail this out of the harbor is the International Champ."

So, there I am, out of the harbor and self crowned International Copperhead Class Champion.

Holy crap a copperhead I thought my old man was the only one who owned one of those things. I spent many a day as a kid on lake erie sailing one of those form the beach. We sold it and I don't think I ever saw anther one ever again until your picture...

thanks for the flash back