Larry

Some of my old sailing photos 2

Venturous. Sail No, 26067. Kent Vandevrede, Muskegon YC. C&C 43. Chicago to Mackinac Race, IOR Section 2.

Yacht rated IOR 32.5 in 1983, but this photo is from 1981.

Venturous-1024.jpg

Looks like a Baltic 43 isn'it ?

Not a 43, clearly a C & C , 39' maybe.

How about a Baltic 42?

C&C designed all the Baltic models of the period so that may confuse. The model line was 33, 37, 39, 42, 46, 51, before the Peterson DP boats 38DP, 42DP (Serendipity 43 near sister), 48DP, 55DP, then came Judel Vrolijk.

So, if she is a Baltic, then a C&C 39 or 42? I don't know the C&C built lineup of that time.

C&C designed all the Baltic models of the period so that may confuse. The model line was 33, 37, 39, 42, 46, 51, before the Peterson DP boats 38DP, 42DP (Serendipity 43 near sister), 48DP, 55DP, then came Judel Vrolijk.

So, if she is a Baltic, then a C&C 39 or 42? I don't know the C&C built lineup of that time.

Fully agree cms, definitively Baltic 42 :)

Tx

Dance 1. Dale Smirl, Columbia YC. Wylie 39. MHS Section 1, rated 562.4.

Although Dance 1 made several Mac races, this photo was taken on another day.

Dance-2-900.jpg

Dance-2-900.jpg

Is/was that originally "No go 7"?

Sleeping Bear. L.J. Verplank, SPRL. Peterson 42. IOR Section 2, rated 33.0.

This was a race at Harbor Springs in very light air, shortly after a Chi-Mac Race.

SleepingBearPSD.jpg

Sleeping Bear. L.J. Verplank, SPRL. Peterson 42. IOR Section 2, rated 33.0.

This was a race at Harbor Springs in very light air, shortly after a Chi-Mac Race.

SleepingBearPSD.jpg

Hey Larry, how did you know what the name of that boat was? Frankly, I don't know how a Bear could sleep when someone is yelling "SLEEPING BEAR" at him.

Here's a boat I can't identify.

She may have sailed in NA One Ton regatta in Chicago, with Fair Lady, Poultergeist, et al.

Logo may say "Special .....[something]......."

I cannot remember name, but knew at one time.

Maybe I'll run across another photo that shows name better.

I thought perhaps some folks here could help us out. : )

I may go back through the thread and re-read some of the info there.

Perhaps this boat was mentioned earlier.

Special-------Sail-No-42252_zpsf34cb69a.jpg

I believe she was originally called "Slip Sliding Away" and, as correctly identified elsewhere in the thread, was a G&S one tonner from the lakes.

Venturous. Sail No, 26067. Kent Vandevrede, Muskegon YC. C&C 43. Chicago to Mackinac Race, IOR Section 2.

Yacht rated IOR 32.5 in 1983, but this photo is from 1981.

Venturous-1024.jpg

Looks like a Baltic 43 isn'it ?

Not a 43, clearly a C & C , 39' maybe.

Why not ?

If Larry said C&C 43 you can believe him :)

Its a Baltic designed by C&C....you can tell by the coach roof......Baltics always had sharp edges.......C&C 43 was rounded with an eyebrow............pretty pic Larry.

She may have sailed in NA One Ton regatta in Chicago, with Fair Lady, Poultergeist, et al.

I believe she was originally called "Slip Sliding Away" and, as correctly identified elsewhere in the thread, was a G&S one tonner from the lakes.

The one-tonner SSA was a J/N, unless I am mistaken. The 35-footer was a G&S though.

The one-tonner SSA was a J/N, unless I am mistaken. The 35-footer was a G&S though.

The one-ton SSA was a G&S. I spent one miserable summer on the boat. Almost every delivery was upwind with the #4 that year with an engine that needed air bled out of the system every hour…However I don't think that this boat was the old SSA as SSA had a grid track system for the genoas (unless the subsequent owner wised up a got rid of it….).

The one-ton SSA was a G&S. I spent one miserable summer on the boat. Almost every delivery was upwind with the #4 that year with an engine that needed air bled out of the system every hour…However I don't think that this boat was the old SSA as SSA had a grid track system for the genoas (unless the subsequent owner wised up a got rid of it….).

My bad...

Spit Fire, originally owned by Horst Queck currently sailed out of Waukegan YC by Jim Helquist. Won their sectioin in the 2000 Mac I believe.

Dance-2-900.jpg

Is/was that originally "No go 7"?

Yes. Owned by Elliot Segil.

My bad...

So.. once and for all for you young 'uns - SSA was a G&S 1-Ton built by George Carlin's Kiwi Yachts in FL in 1985 for John Malec (who had previously owned the G&S 45 Invictus). Spitfire was also a G&S 1-Ton, built for Horst Kwech in 1987 (debuting at the 1-Ton NA's that year in Chicago) by Franklin Yachts in NZL. Both had the transverse jib track system (you cans see the athwartships tracks (3 of 'em) in the above pic of Spit).

My bad...

So.. once and for all for you young 'uns - SSA was a G&S 1-Ton built by George Carlin's Kiwi Yachts in FL in 1985 for John Malec (who had previously owned the G&S 45 Invictus). Spitfire was also a G&S 1-Ton, built for Horst Kwech in 1987 (debuting at the 1-Ton NA's that year in Chicago) by Franklin Yachts in NZL. Both had the transverse jib track system (you cans see the athwartships tracks (3 of 'em) in the above pic of Spit).

Yeah, I was confusing SSA with the J/N FTB...

I remember the 45 Invictus when it spent part of its later life in Detroit--back when I was an impressionable young lad (as opposed to an impressionable middle aged person now).

Freedom. 12-meter. Former AC winner with skipper Dennis Conner. As I recall, after losing in preliminary series, Freedom became trial horse for Liberty at 1983 America's Cup, Newport RI..

Freedom-1024-1.jpg

^^ Per DC in 'Comeback' they made a structural change to Freedom's rudder post, which when inspected for measurement she lost her grandfather for the low freeboard she had, which was a change to the 12m rule between '80 & '83. They had looked to use her since Liberty was not as good as they hoped, but with the loss of the grandfather and the penalty of losing quite a few sq. ft. of sail area, they determined that would make her un-competitive.

Raven. Ed Kalin, CCYC. C&C 39. 1984 Chicago to Mackinac Race, MHS Section 1, rated 578.0.

Raven-1024.jpg

love the C&C's Larry....especially the 39.....I had one back in '74.........black with white cover stripe and white butt..........very pretty.....should never have sold her................. Keep it up as you are much appreciated.....

Bacchant. Jerome Sullivan. Milw. 75 Square Meter, 64 feet long per 1983 scratch sheet. Raced in many Mac Races. In 1983, rating was MHS 533.0.

This photo was from some other year. Bacchant was always beautiful and fully found.

I read here that Jerome had passed away. RIP.

Bacchant-1982-900.jpg

Jerome is still here, great guy. Had the chance to sail on Bacchant last year. what an amazing boat. Still in Bristol shape.

Well, that is great news. Thanks for the update.

Vagrant. D. Walter/G. Wolf, Columbia YC. Evelyn 36. IOR Section 4, rated 26.5.

Vagrant-900.jpg

Time to buy a new mainsail :)

And jib, jeeze that leach looks hooked.

And jib, jeeze that leach looks hooked.

Proof that us old timers could thrash a set of sails back in the day and still squeeze them around the course.

Cruachan. Campbell//Donnelly, CCYC. NY36. IOR Section 4, rated 26.6.

Cruachan-900.jpg

Vampire. I don't have any information on this boat. Perhaps somebody remembers her and can fill us in. Thanks.

Also, if anybody can post scratch sheets for 1981, 1982, 1984 or 1985 Chicago to Mackinac races, I'd appreciate it.

I have only the scratch sheet (booklet) for the 1983 race.

Vampire900a.jpg

Vampire. I don't have any information on this boat. Perhaps somebody remembers her and can fill us in. Thanks.

Also, if anybody can post scratch sheets for 1981, 1982, 1984 or 1985 Chicago to Mackinac races, I'd appreciate it.

Vampire900a.jpg

Looks like a custom C&C.

Vampire900a.jpg

Looks like a custom C&C.

I thought it was a Mull 3/4 or 1 ton.

IIRC Serendipity 43(or close to it) out of Detroit. Word was bills weren't being paid so the boat disappeared within a couple months of launching

Vampire900a.jpg

Looks like a custom C&C.

No, Custom C&C 41.

Vampire900a.jpg

Looks like a custom C&C.

No, Custom C&C 41.

Wasn't that Dan Van Heeckeren's boat, out of Cleveland?

Vampire900a.jpg

Looks like a custom C&C.

No, Custom C&C 41.

Close Laker. There was a Mull 3/4 tonner called "Vanpire" (don't ask) on the mold of 3/4 ton world's winner "Swampfire" in 1974. I believe Vanpire won the world's or the NA's in 1976.

I would understand the confusion for "Vampire". I had to take a double take too.

France 3. Nearing Clayton Pell Newport Bridge. 1983 America's Cup participant.

France-3-Nearing-Bridge-900.jpg

1983 SORC.

83-SORC-Four-Boats-1024.jpg

Vampire900a.jpg

Here is what I remember: This boat showed up in Detroit in the spring of '83 or '84. It was a "Dreyfus 42" or similar. Along the lines of Detente, Me Culpa or Your Cheating Heart. Not a Serendipity 43. I can't remember the owner's name, a really slick character. Wally or Woody would know. The boat wasn't around for more than 6 months and then disappeared. I always wondered what happened. I heard the owner went broke and then the boat was gone.

Vampire900a.jpg

Here is what I remember: This boat showed up in Detroit in the spring of '83 or '84. It was a "Dreyfus 42" or similar. Along the lines of Detente, Me Culpa or Your Cheating Heart. Not a Serendipity 43. I can't remember the owner's name, a really slick character. Wally or Woody would know. The boat wasn't around for more than 6 months and then disappeared. I always wondered what happened. I heard the owner went broke and then the boat was gone.

Does that mean it's a Peterson?

Vampire900a.jpg

Does that mean it's a Peterson?

I think what happened was Dreyfus modified a Serendipity 43 mold to produce the 3 or 4 four boats like Vampire. So yes, in effect a Peterson design.

Firewater. Ronald Hoekman, MACB. CF37. 1986 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 3, rated 28.1.

Firewater-900-Bicubic-Sharper.jpg

Seriphos. Stephen Swope, Riverside YC. OHL38. 1983 Storm Trysail Week, Block Island RI. MHS Class 10, rated 860.2.

Seriphos-STW-354-1024-1.jpg

http://www.ohlson38....38.History.html

Firewater. Ronald Hoekman, MACB. CF37. 1986 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 3, rated 28.1.

Firewater-900-Bicubic-Sharper.jpg

.I believe this boat was previously owned by Bruce Compton of Bay City Michigan. His Brother had an identical boat called Wampum out in California. Bruce sold this boat and bought wampum when his brother built the Andrews 70 Alchemy.

Seriphos. Stephen Swope, Riverside YC. OHL38. 1983 Storm Trysail Week, Block Island RI. MHS Class 10, rated 860.2.

That boat was in our yard last year. Great looking boat had to sail her off her mooring in woods hole due to some water in the fuel. Great old boat

Fiji Warrior. Robert J. Le Fort, Jr., Ocean City YC. FRS38, 1983 Storm Trysail Week, Block Island RI. IOR Class 5, rated 30.0.

Fiji-Warrior-STW-1024.jpg

That boat was in our yard last year. Great looking boat had to sail her off her mooring in woods hole due to some water in the fuel. Great old boat

Larry: Keep 'em coming. This is one of the best threads ever. Just to keep you motivated, I will pass along that I sent the link to the picture of Seriphos to the Swopes family. Stephen crossed the bar some time ago, but his wife and kids I am sure will enjoy the photo.

Nirvana (Marvin Green) and Kialoa (John Kilroy). 1983 Miami to Nassau Race, SORC Class A.

Nirvana-and-Kialoa-800-1983-SORC.jpg

Fiji Warrior. Robert J. Le Fort, Jr., Ocean City YC. FRS38, 1983 Storm Trysail Week, Block Island RI. IOR Class 5, rated 30.0.

I remember that boat- looked like the coolest thing that ever floated back in the day-

Anyone recall another One-Tonner from the same area called "Wildflower"? I think it was a Chance design? That boat had a look too- don't know if it was fast or not....

Murphy's Law. Mike Greenwald, CYC. NM41. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race. 1984 SORC, Class D, rated 32.2.

Murphys-Law-from-Above-900-bicsh.jpg

I remember that boat- looked like the coolest thing that ever floated back in the day-

Anyone recall another One-Tonner from the same area called "Wildflower"? I think it was a Chance design? That boat had a look too- don't know if it was fast or not....

Serge,

Wildflower was indeed a Chance 40 footer rating about 1 ton(30.5 version). She has a daggerboard and was a very pretty and FAST boat. She lived in Annapolis in the late 70's. Any pics of her would be a great addition to this thread!

Murphy's Law. Mike Greenwald, CYC. NM41. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race. 1984 SORC, Class D, rated 32.2.

Beautiful shot Larry!

A blowup of that has got to be hanging above someone's mantle piece or up in the trophy room........or maybe it was 29 years ago.

Serge,

Wildflower was indeed a Chance 40 footer rating about 1 ton(30.5 version). She has a daggerboard and was a very pretty and FAST boat. She lived in Annapolis in the late 70's. Any pics of her would be a great addition to this thread!

There is a light blue hull, looks One-Tonner sized, says 'Wildflower" on the side sitting just off Rt. 50 near Easton, MD. Would that be her?

The "Wildflower" I'm thinking of was white and green, fractional rig, bumpy hull, based out of NJ..... Anyone?

Insight in preceding photo looks like a Morgan 36 NM when they were trying to build race boats.

That is definitely the Morgan build of the N/M 36. Interesting that it has the race rig (3 spreaders) but the cruising cockpit.

Larry, do you have any more photos of the '83 Morgan N/M 36's? They are excellent boats that still are performing at the top of their fleets.

Sailed against Insight in the northern gulf coast many times over the years. Can't remember her hometown, but she was always at the big regattas. I always likes the lines on her.

home port was gulport yc in gulfport, ms.

i sailed against insight when she was up in mississippi all the time....

for the life of me, i cannot remember the owners name....

we were doing a steeple chase out of pass christian yc one year in some heavy stuff....main sheet boom vale parted and a friend of mine named tim kirkman (regular crew) was almost killed....

i crewed a couple of times on the boat when i wasn't sailing my own...

it was one hell of a boat and was fast down wind with a kite and a blooper...

tim

do you have any pics of Heavy Metal from 85 or 86 SORC ?

i have some piled somewhere in the stuff i salvaged from katrina....

lee creekmore design....i believe the owners name was geaorge rodgers....been a long time ago...

it was a beautiful boat and surprisingly fast...

the owner was killed in a car crash on the mobile bay bridge coming back from a phrf meeting....

the boat was sold for scrap and cut up...

tim

I'm proud to say that my photos were used by a model builder to develop this model of Gauntlet,

now on display at Southern Yacht Club. Thanks to Gerry LaNasa for spearheading the project

and for this nice photo of the finished model.

Picture10-25.png

GauntletFINAL1024.png

My photo of Gantlet is from the 1984 SORC, St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

A Kaufman 45, Gauntlet raced in IOR Class C.

this boat was out of southern yc in n'awlin's....owned by buddy freidrichs (we called him buddy asshole)

the boat was raced extensively on the northern gulf coast from p'cola to all of the ponchatrain events...

i had the opportunity to race aboard her one time....

the owner had a bit of fun with nose candy, fast women and dropped dead at the commaders resturant in NO at breakfast...major heart attack...

it's been 25 or so years ago so i can't remeber the owners name....

tim

I'm checking my info on Gauntlet and will post more soon.

BTW, Buddy Friedrichs, the owner, had been an Olympic gold medalist earlier.

Until then, I can offer this...

After a death roll destroyed their chute (US 18188), Gauntlet's crew hoisted their old Italian-numbered chute.

"This is just after the most dramatic pole-exploding death roll of my life.

We were pinned down for some time with water pouring in the hatches.

Before the round-up we were flying a big solid red chute." - Ronnie LaNasa

My Note: It seems that remnants of the torn-up chute flew pennant-like until after dark when they finally got it down somehow.

i could tell you some rather amusing stories about buddy friedrichs....but this would not be the time or place...

he was one hell of a partier...a bit of an asshole (understated) when on the boat, but a fine sailor...

i believe his gold medal was in the old fish class......

tim

I think Buddies medal was in the Dragon Class if I remember correctly.

yeah...

you're right....

i woke up at midnight to take a piss and remembered....

didn't get a chance to make a correction...

thanks...

tim

Serge,

There is a light blue hull, looks One-Tonner sized, says 'Wildflower" on the side sitting just off Rt. 50 near Easton, MD. Would that be her?

The "Wildflower" I'm thinking of was white and green, fractional rig, bumpy hull, based out of NJ..... Anyone?

That boat on Rt 50 near Easton, MD is not Wildflower. Its something else, I think maybe the old "Jack Knife". Randy Scarbough had a couple Wildflower's out of Ocean City, NJ. One was a sistership to Resolute Samon and was a masthead rig, daggerboard boat, the 2nd one was an aggressive IOR hull shape with bumps, a very flat stern section and tall fractional rig. Both were Chance designs. Randy later had a Debroth one-tonner called Wildcat.

Flashback to my miss-spent youth! Sailed many miles on "The Warrior" as bowman staring in 1980. Great team of awesome guys!

Flashback to my miss-spent youth! Sailed many miles on "The Warrior" as bowman staring in 1980. Great team of awesome guys!

IIRC, she was donated to the Naval Academy in the late '80s in exchange for a significant tax write off.

Serge,

That boat on Rt 50 near Easton, MD is not Wildflower. Its something else, I think maybe the old "Jack Knife". Randy Scarbough had a couple Wildflower's out of Ocean City, NJ. One was a sistership to Resolute Samon and was a masthead rig, daggerboard boat, the 2nd one was an aggressive IOR hull shape with bumps, a very flat stern section and tall fractional rig. Both were Chance designs. Randy later had a Debroth one-tonner called Wildcat.

Helped build the Daggerboard boat at Crain Brothers in Sevena Park out of West System.

The boat on Rt 50 was "Wildcat"

Sassy. Oh my gosh.

Forward of the living area opens to a large storage space with two 1.5m sliding deck hatches.

Also available for dry cargo storage is the area forward of the bulkhead, which can be used for research gear,

water sports gear and currently houses 2 off-road motor bikes. Sassy has vast storage capacity for a yacht

of her size. She comes equipped with water sports equipment including 2 stand-up paddle boards, surf boards,

water skis, and two 4 metre rigid inflatables with 30HP outboards.

Entertainment aboard includes an LCD TV, movie hard drive, play station and library.

Source: http://www.wildexped...y/Overview.html

Sassy-900-FINAL.jpg

Let's hear about Sassy again. It never gets old.

She has undergone a metamorphosis since I took this photo in the mid-80's.

She went through some hard times after being sold by Dutch Schmidt. As Juliana based out of Chicago the boat always looked like it was sadly lacking in TLC. Then it went to the PNW as Cheeky, and apparantly has wound up as a tourist bus down under. She was the biggest boat in the Great Lakes for several years, until the arrival of the SC70s made her obsolete. Good to see the boat maintained again and still sailing, even if it is a far cry from what she was designed to do.

My brother got crabs from one of Sassy's bunks in the '86 SORC. I managed to stay clean bunking next to the nav table. Fun times!

Serge,

Helped build the Daggerboard boat at Crain Brothers in Sevena Park out of West System.

The boat on Rt 50 was "Wildcat"

Yes, the one with the tall frac rig and the aggressive hull shape is the one I'm thinking of- is that the one on the side of Rt 50?? Don't know if that boat was fast or not but it sure had 'the look"....

This thread has been a lot of fun- kudos to everyone that has put pics up-

Serge

I sailed on a bunch of IORs out of AYC on western LIS in my younger days...

Only an 80's IOR 38 footer needs 10 crew!! Being a bow guy back than was always and adventure! If the back of the boat wasn't 'up to the task' you were fucked at the pointy end in any kinda breeze.

Good times though!

EDIT: 10 crew not 11...

My brother got crabs from one of Sassy's bunks in the '86 SORC. I managed to stay clean bunking next to the nav table. Fun times!

Yeah, It was the bunks! Yeah yeah yeah.....;)

Here is an earlier version:

post-420-0-51358500-1365175286_thumb.jpg sent to me from Charley Morgan

Endurance. Roger Derusha, M&M. C&C 43. Chicago to Mackinac Race, MHS Section 1, rated 551.6.

Data above from 1983 scratch sheet booklet.

Roger's gone now, but the last I heard, his family was still sailing the boat.

Endurance-1981-900-BICS-1.jpg

Endurance. Roger Derusha, M&M. C&C 43. Chicago to Mackinac Race, MHS Section 1, rated 551.6.

Always thought the 43 was the prettiest production boat C&C ever built.

Always thought the 43 was the prettiest production boat C&C ever built.

Quite the same for S&S swan 43 :)

attachicon.gifFIJI WARRIOR.jpg

Now that's the one I remember!

That looks like the Heritage One Ton version. I recall from the late 70's

One in the same. Charley Morgan sent me that pic, he said it was taken during a match race series he put on between two of his one tons. One with a standard keel and the other with a new design that he had done testing wind tunnel testing at Witchita State. The new keel trounced the standard one.

Beautiful shot Larry!

It's been a while since I've been on a boat with a blooper but I don't remember ever having the tack set from the windward rail like that. Any benefit to this?

I don't see the blooper tack, only the clew.

Beautiful shot Larry!

It's been a while since I've been on a boat with a blooper but I don't remember ever having the tack set from the windward rail like that. Any benefit to this?

Beautiful shot Larry!

What you're seeing is the spinnaker clew.

Beautiful shot Larry!

What you're seeing is the spinnaker clew.

Your right, I'm just a dumb ass

Anyone with a cool quarter million for a restored (and upgraded) Cold Molded Peterson 41?

3856722_20120223120549_1_LARGE.jpg&w=600

That boat is freaking gorgeous. Wish I had that kind of scratch to give it a good home. wub.gif

I've got a lot of history on that boat. I raced on it with the third owner. Affectionately called the "Cedar Speeder". A lot of fun. Pretty boat - ugly crew! wink.gif It was used as a liveaboard in the Gulf Islands for awhile when one of the owners built a house in the Gulf Islands. It was reno'd by the son/family of the original owner in '80. I see it's got a carbon rig now and the third owner & their crew painted the mast "guard rail yellow" in keeping with the original theme and colour.

Sorry for the hi-jack Larry put while we are talking about cold mold and Jesperson builds:

http://www.jespersenboats.com/html/distantdrummer_imagepage.htm

Peterson 37 "Distant Drummer". A work of art really and I sailed against her in my Ganbare days. A lot of history with her too but I'll shut up now.

That boat is still on the market, down to $150K asking - probably what the keel & carbon rig cost. Definitely in the running for the most beautiful boat ever in these waters.

Must be nice to be rich!

My recollection of DD was at PITCH in 1979. Massive broach. Owner over the side hanging on the tiller extension. We rounded windward mark in first and stayed wing on wing with the gusts coming through so the carnage was behind us. Good choice. Crew shouts something along the lines of "holy fuck" followed by "don't look" when 3 or 4 more went down.

Oh the good old days!

TOG