jsmin

Lake Erie Anarchy Part 2

LeBron James just signed up for the 2014 F W Roberts Race... who else is coming?

sorry, I think I'll take my talents elsewhere... ;)

but, I hope y'all have a fun race!

LeBron James just signed up for the 2014 F W Roberts Race... who else is coming?

...what about some J105 participation? More T-10's? Melges32s? jammers?

...what about some J105 participation? More T-10's? Melges32s? jammers?

I don't think the T10s are against it, but it is not on the calendar as a counter this year. Their distance race participation is down from a few years ago (unless you count some of the "distance" events like Princess Pat & the Nash), but I think if you talk to them and get on their radar you might see more participation next year.

It's really a matter of boats outside of CYC participating -- boat type isn't the issue. For that matter, there are two T-10s already signed up, one being from EWYC. We are happy to welcome Viva La Vida from EWYC as well. There's ALWAYS the "next year" commitment.

Congrats to the winners of the Princess Pat this past weekend -- although the sky started gloomy, it ended up being a very nice day for sailing by the 2nd half of the race.

CYC would like to welcome and thank everyone who has signed up for the Roberts Race thus far -- in the interest of (very) last minute entries, we are re-opening registration through TOMORROW, Tuesday July 22. If you know of anyone that is considering signing up, please have them do so before Wednesday.

I have the current start times set up in excel format -- if there are any other entries I would like to have them as soon as possible, so I can make sure everyone is squared away for our glorious pursuit start.

Hope to see you Friday.

FYI Anyone already signed up will be receiving an email with this same update, as well as the start time list. I have no other way of spreading this quick update to others outside of this site, so your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob Jr

Turned out to be a damn fun ride on Crackerjack. Took the right shift after the point and saw 9's &10's after turning the breakwall. Meant a lot having Mike along after he lost his Dad on Thursday. Thanks to all the boats that raced.

How about the Roberts results? I bet mentor has them up the same day as the last few years.

Good for them -- the Princess Pat results are looking mighty fine online, too. http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/8760#_newsroom

Perhaps stop to consider the person nice enough to run the site for the Roberts this year was a bit pre-occupied... ass

Falcon Cup:

anyone know if scratch sheets will be available on friday night? We're sailing directly to the start line from EYC

Falcon Cup:

anyone know if scratch sheets will be available on friday night? We're sailing directly to the start line from EYC

Anyone have results ?

CYC Fall Regatta coming Sept 27-28...pursuit Sunday is back...event t-shirts...bigger parties...better awards...info coming soon.

CYC Fall Regatta coming Sept 27-28...pursuit Sunday is back...event t-shirts...bigger parties...better awards...info coming soon.

Website is up. Registration is open and NOR posted.

2014 CYC Chowder Bowl NOR--FINAL.pdf

7 boats including 1 Star registered!

28 boats registered!

7 boats including 1 Star registered!

28 boats registered! Registration is open online through midnight with in-person registration from 5-7PM Friday night.

Huge "Thanks" to all that participated last weekend at CYC Fall Regatta. We saw an increase of five boats over last year's event with a total of 29 registered for the weekend.

It turned out to be a really great weekend of racing and parties even with some delays for breeze both days. Saturday saw three starts for spinnaker classes and two for JAM with some very close racing all around. Sunday was a miracle getting a shortened pursuit race in after delaying the start. The breeze built in beautifully and it was outstanding seeing a STAR, R, J70 finish 1-2-3. Overall the event put a very positive end on what was a pretty tough year of sailing at CYC.

-Rob

RESULTS

All in it was a nice weekend. Would have been nicer to have longer races on Saturday as the breeze freshened, but hey, who knew...

I'm curious, given the pursuit race, is there a corrected time standing for the entire fleet somewhere?

Huge "Thanks" to all that participated last weekend at CYC Fall Regatta. We saw an increase of five boats over last year's event with a total of 29 registered for the weekend.

It turned out to be a really great weekend of racing and parties even with some delays for breeze both days. Saturday saw three starts for spinnaker classes and two for JAM with some very close racing all around. Sunday was a miracle getting a shortened pursuit race in after delaying the start. The breeze built in beautifully and it was outstanding seeing a STAR, R, J70 finish 1-2-3. Overall the event put a very positive end on what was a pretty tough year of sailing at CYC.

-Rob

RESULTS

All in it was a nice weekend. Would have been nicer to have longer races on Saturday as the breeze freshened, but hey, who knew...

I'm curious, given the pursuit race, is there a corrected time standing for the entire fleet somewhere?

Matno-

Sorry for the delay. Here is the original scoring for the pursuit race with start/finish times for PHRF and JAM fleets. Let me know if you need anything else.

-Rob

Matno-

Sorry for the delay. Here is the original scoring for the pursuit race with start/finish times for PHRF and JAM fleets. Let me know if you need anything else.

-Rob

That will do it...thanks!

Went sailing today (well technically yesterday) and it was great. Wind was a little light and shifty, but it was great to be on the water again. I can't wait for racing to start next Wednesday!

med_gallery_118037_1094_62919.jpg

med_gallery_118037_1094_338733.jpg

So, I happen to be on Cleveland.com this afternoon (i know, my bad) and in the middle of the page is an ad for Lakeside Yacht Club.

The first burgee point is that LYC is a Private Social Club on the shores of Lake Erie. Keeping those pesky watercraft on the DL i guess.

The second burgee point is a swim-up bar - e.g. in pool toilet.

Finally they get to Boating and Social Membership availability, although clicking on the video link leads to nothing with boats.

How sad.

Good luck to everyone racing tonight. First Wednesday race of the season! Looks like light air, but should be fun anyway.

How was everyone's Mills Race? Mine was wet, cold, windy, and wavy. It was fast too. Overall a good ride.

Does anyone know the story on the boat getting towed in? Rudder issue?

At a total loss for words - so very sorry.

Every day is a gift.

PAX & Fair Winds

For once I was glad to be on a big cruiser and not a wavelength 24 for this year's mills. Was windy and wavy with crests above the lifelines. longest leg waves were pushing the rear quarter with rounding-up followed by near-jybes. once the sun set, there were distress calls all over CH 16. I think the total tally we heard was 3 broken rudder/steerings, one dismast, and the MOB.

lots of blown sails from what we heard on the dock... sailmakers should be getting a lotta calls today.

Our condolences to team HORSE and the affected families.

I broke my rudder on my catalina 22 we were almost to N. Reef when it started to break we dropped sails pulled off rudder tied it together and sailed to port Clinton with just a storm jib. Had a great ride till then never todo down the big jib just went outside lead and back went to weather at 5.6 average, turn and went fast " for a catalina 22" steady 7's hitting mid 8's on the waves we were always in control of boat and not once did we feel unsafe.

Interested to see the CRW splits with the J70 and Melges24 racing PHRF.

How dare they :-) Queue the ranting phone call to the RC from a PHRF chairman.

From a Star sailor's perspective, Cleveland Race Week One Design was an awesome event, one which the Stars will be sure to attend again next year.

Five boats from Lorain, one from Rocky River, one from Detroit, one from Chicago and one from Milwaukee enjoyed a very well run regatta.

Thanks to one and all involved in organizing and hosting the event.

RC got the RANT.... we will see how it all works out!

IMHO looks like RC is on the right track with the splits. Good for CYC!

IMHO looks like RC is on the right track with the splits. Good for CYC!

not sure how the j111 isnt a sport boat and kinda feel bad for the 24 and the 70 in mile and a half legs all the way out on the big boat course witch will be all the way in the middle of the lake

This may have been the first CRW that had more boats racing in the One Design weekend than in the off-shore races.

This may have been the first CRW that had more boats racing in the One Design weekend than in the off-shore races.

and T10s & 105s raced 1-D on offshore weekend.

Great job again on both wknds by the EYC event organizers, RC and volunteers. Had a blast sailing 22s and 105s and I can see why 1-D is such a draw coming from a full PHRF program. Also, great to see all the kids on Vanpire, Stanley, Fall Line and others on Sunday.

Roberts Race is Friday...

FYI

LYC Ruhlman Cup Regatta July 10-12th, 2015

link - http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/10731

women's race friday night. sat and sun for everybody else.

looks like cleveland boats are really slow at signing up this year for all regattas.

is it just going to die out or people just taking their time more than usual?

FYI

LYC Ruhlman Cup Regatta July 10-12th, 2015

link - http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/10731

women's race friday night. sat and sun for everybody else.

looks like cleveland boats are really slow at signing up this year for all regattas.

is it just going to die out or people just taking their time more than usual?

J70 236 will be registered soon. Hope some more 70's sign up...

Sailed my Laser over to Put In Bay from Catawba on Weds; the algae situation was most disturbing. The big yachts and the Jet Express were throwing huge, visibly heavy lime green wakes. Sailing in smelly pea-soup is not an enjoyable avocation. Fertilizer needs to be seriously regulated. If it takes Big Government to solve this problem, so be it.

this place is looking like Chernobyl... any way any new on mentor regatta? ther is nothing on thier website

I'm injured for this season, but I only do a few races a year anyway. Youth sailing looks OK. Keelboat racing appears to be a rapidly dying art. Adventure racing seems to be picking up, mostly on very small craft, but not on Lake Erie, although an event would be neat to have- what with the islands, rivers, and harbors we have...

this place is looking like Chernobyl... any way any new on mentor regatta? ther is nothing on thier website

Results:

http://www.mhyc.us/boating/falcon/results/15.pdf

The thread that got yanked regarding the melges 24 and someone's resemblance to a hairy juicebox could have livened things up. The "I'm too good to do bow" pseudonym and description vaguely smell like lake erie too. Wonder if that'll disappear.

Results:

http://www.mhyc.us/boating/falcon/results/15.pdf

The thread that got yanked regarding the melges 24 and someone's resemblance to a hairy juicebox could have livened things up. The "I'm too good to do bow" pseudonym and description vaguely smell like lake erie too. Wonder if that'll disappear.

Looking at those results it seems there is some grifty stuff happening on my old stomping grounds. First to finish has a lower corrected time than the trophy winner????

I have no first hand Knowledge, but with an M24, they may have been sailing with a PROVISIONAL PHRF rating for the regatta, which makes them NOT eligible for Sundance ( and they were already ineligible for Falcon ) Trophies -- That's my only explanation. I had a similar experience several years ago, we were provisional rating ( didn't pay / get PHRF cert as it was a last minute entry) and finished second OA....lucky didn't finish 1 OA, or else would have been really bummed. C&C 37R beat us that year...

Mikie

I have no first hand Knowledge, but with an M24, they may have been sailing with a PROVISIONAL PHRF rating for the regatta, which makes them NOT eligible for Sundance ( and they were already ineligible for Falcon ) Trophies -- That's my only explanation. I had a similar experience several years ago, we were provisional rating ( didn't pay / get PHRF cert as it was a last minute entry) and finished second OA....lucky didn't finish 1 OA, or else would have been really bummed. C&C 37R beat us that year...

Mikie

Interesting, but it does't seem like the boat that was awarded the Sundance Trophy had a PHRF rating either and was a one-design boat, at least not according to this website: http://phrf-le.org/MembershipTable.aspx

I thought you were allowed to race in one race per year without a certificate with a time penalty, did they change that since I left?

Makes me glad I am crusing now!

Is thing thing on? (taps mic)

CYC Winter Party - March 3rd/7PM at Center Isle

• Munchies & bevies, fleet social membership sign-up, sailing swag giveaways and sailing on the big screen.
  • Open to all area sailors to get social and pre-game for the 2016 Cleveland/LE racing season.
  • Juniors come on down to find a big boat ride for the coming season.

Leukemia Cup Regatta - July 21-24

• New Friday night short distance race for all classes followed by the Rock-The-Dock party.
  • Land-based festivities at CYC Center Isle including bands, blender parties and great food all weekend.
  • CSA Women's and Double-Hand races move to Thursday.
  • New fundraising incentives from Helly-Hansen and Gill.
  • Spectator boat opportunities for individual sponsors and fundraisers.
  • Gary Jobson will be at the event!
  • More details and marketing events TBA...stay tuned!

Looks like we'll see the expansion of the EYC/CYC Gold Coast Cup combined series for 2016. Great response last year and we're glad to see some growth in getting more boats on line. More details or any questions email sailfleetcyc at geemail.

When is Green Island Race this year? Snow Flurries?

I'm trying to get my calendar figured out but can't find anything on the PCYC website...

Does the Trans-Erie race still exist? I cannot find anything online, and the old website www.transerie.com does not seem to work anymore.

Transerie race has been on the shelf for the last five years. Tentative plans to run a race on the twentieth anniversary of the first race next year

how many boats are expected to be at Sr bay next weekend?

Transerie race has been on the shelf for the last five years. Tentative plans to run a race on the twentieth anniversary of the first race next year

Sounds pretty good. I hope you all pull it together and put it back into service. Great race! Great times!

Anyone know how many are signed up for the snowflurries this year? Weather sure seems wimpy compared to years ago when it would be 40 degrees and 30 kts...

Snow Flurries, not many. 7 boats at dock that came over from the Fall Bay which had 40 boats. We are not going due to weather, crew apathy, lack of time to deliver boat. Crew not up for rain on Saturday with 4 knots of wind. Sad because this used to be a great regatta. My guess is it is down to 20 boats this year.

Well we decided to give it a go, but it was possibly the worst-run regatta that I've ever attended. SI's leaving out info, an RC that doesn't know how to operate starting horn, safety boats anchored within 15' of leeward mark, and radio silence all around.

What a shame. This used to be a good regatta. Bring back Trans-Erie!

Were J29guy and friends running the show? When are those PHRF-LE hacks finally going to figure out they are doing more harm to the sport than good. What's the membership down to this year?

PHRF-LE membership is down every year. Though I do not personally have a bone to pick with them, I can't help but feel at times its a bit of closed group looking to protect their own interests what ever they may be. At some point I would like to move to a modern "sport" type boat with a-sails and a sprit, but I don't really feel the climate in Cleveland is all that friendly to boats built after 1989. I'm sure others in the know can either enforce or refute my perception of PHRF-LE.

I did the Trans-Erie four times, twice on my boat and twice on one of the organizers boat.

One of my favorite moments of sailing was having 20hrs of 25+ knots upwind. Not what you want in a Henderson 30 when you're racing an IOR 50 with pros on board. We fought to the end with the owner making the change back to the 1 when it got lighter (we were beat). We beat the 50 by a few minutes.

eeriesailor is his name on this site and there is no one I think more of.

When just about all other Race Organizers around Lake Erie treated Multihulls worse than second class citizens, EerieSailor and the Trans Erie group welcomed us with open arms and embraced us and our participation. We were able to grow that class' participation for a few years because of it. Thank you for all you did for us! GREAT times!

Now if we could get LE-PHRF to embrace post 1989 monos, we would be getting somewhere.

Maybe after that, sprit boats!

For those that like distance racing, the Trans Erie race is making a comeback this year.The race will be August 25th and will run from Grosse Ile to Cleveland (course to be determined). Hope to see some of you there.

Everyone should be lucky enough to sail in this race or with eerie sailor, I am that lucky on both counts.

For those that like distance racing, the Trans Erie race is making a comeback this year.The race will be August 25th and will run from Grosse Ile to Cleveland (course to be determined). Hope to see some of you there.

Nice work eerie! Glad to see this race back. I hope you use any system other than archaic phrf-le rules so sportboats can play too.

PHRF LE is at it again with ratings adjustments so 'm curious is there any interest in the competitors on LE interested in racing ORR? The Macs have gone by the way of ORR. The Sportboats are taking a huge hit not sure what is driving that other than culling the fleet. I also understand that a number of Sportboat owners are bailing and moving the boats to another sandbox. Thanks!

38 entries for Mills race and just under a month to go... yikes

2016 entry : 100

2015 entry: 126

2014 entry: 124

It's a great and historic race. The management needs to look at the stats and feedback and objectively determine why the falloff is happening.  My 2cents says if they were to run the race professionally and ditch PHRF-LE they could, and should, grow entries. 

Do they have any idea of the growth in number of small sportboats from the region? Maybe it would be good to invite a one design class or two on one of the shorter courses?

Well looks like ANARCHY is coming to the lake, so maybe that will help to grow the sportboat fleet...

Does  PHRF Great Lake/. Erie have a Life line waver for sport boats like the Viper 640?

On the Chesapeake they have a waver provided PFDF's are worn at all times.  

UH

7 hours ago, Not Me said:

Well looks like ANARCHY is coming to the lake, so maybe that will help to grow the sportboat fleet...

Awesome to have another 32 on the lake. Check out the March PHRF-LE minutes. Melges 32 small spinnakers are "illegal"???? 

7 hours ago, Uncle h said:

Does  PHRF Great Lake/. Erie have a Life line waver for sport boats like the Viper 640?

On the Chesapeake they have a waver provided PFDF's are worn at all times.  

UH

Hahaha. Have fun with that. Try searching the forum. 

10 hours ago, huckster_one said:

I'm guessing it's a replacement for Vanpire and not really a new one on the Lake unfortunately. There is a new Melges 30 though in Cleveland and that will be fun to have around!

not a replacement,  they bought a euro m32 last fall.

anyone know where Anarchy is going?

38 entries for Mills race and just under a month to go... yikes

Been a cold wet spring, I'm sure people's boating selves will begin to stir and they will register.  Yet there can be no doubt that participation remains in a strong downward trend.   PHRF LE was losing 10% a year last I looked, and you can't do that too many years without some thinking focused on what it's all about.   

I have hope for the youths, but that may be a decade or three from fruition.