jsmin

Lake Erie Anarchy Part 2

Wild ride! we had son 19+ Knot bursts...till we started doing round-ups...

then we blew our out-haul and main sheet! hey apparently someone lost a dog over the week end too

What's the scoop on Bluedog? Heard she was lost transporting back to CYC from Mentor?

I hope all are safe

Saturday night was super shitty

Hopefully the front didn't fall off

Hopefully all will use discretion posting about Blue Dog as there are few who really know what happened. I'd think you"d ask the owner before posting anything that'S heresay.

Discretion....? I think it's a little too late for that......that should have been in play Saturday evening! Let's think about the series of events and how many incredibly poor choices were made. Lets leave a safe port just before dark in adverse conditions. Lets call the Coast Guard and not the owner. Lets abandon ship and not throw an anchor. Lets set the boat adrift w/out a transponder. Really???? You can't make this shit up!

Hopefully all will use discretion posting about Blue Dog as there are few who really know what happened. I'd think you"d ask the owner before posting anything that'S heresay.

Discretion....? I think it's a little too late for that......that should have been in play Saturday evening! Let's think about the series of events and how many incredibly poor choices were made. Lets leave a safe port just before dark in adverse conditions. Lets call the Coast Guard and not the owner. Lets abandon ship and not throw an anchor. Lets set the boat adrift w/out a transponder. Really???? You can't make this shit up!

Look, few of us rarely agree with bobby, but he has a point. It seems like we are all operating only on what someone else heard from someone else...and we all know how wrong the grapevine can be. Until we get more conclusive/concrete facts, it is best to keep the speculation out of the equation and just wait to see what actually happened - IE Coast Guard Report, photos, comment from the owner of the boat etc.

Look, few of us rarely agree with bobby, but he has a point. It seems like we are all operating only on what someone else heard from someone else...and we all know how wrong the grapevine can be. Until we get more conclusive/concrete facts, it is best to keep the speculation out of the equation and just wait to see what actually happened - IE Coast Guard Report, photos, comment from the owner of the boat etc.

I've listened to the owners comments, and I would love to read the CG report once it becomes available. Hard to believe anyone thought allowing a boat to drift free makes sense. Clearly the CG were thinking along the same lines as the captain.....that is not thinking!

whatever happened, I feel bad for Dan...I hope they find it in one piece...THEN if someone screwed the pooch, let them have it!

post-1236-086291200 1344890985_thumb.jpg

holy shit somebody ELSE posted A WHOLE NEW THREAD. it's called: C&C missing in Lake Erie If you see this boat, please call the phone number what is this world coming to? people are actually trying to spread the word that there is a lost boat in lake erie? unbelievable the nerve :o

48+ hrs and no sighting?

given that the wind direction nas been pretty consistant since sat. but there is a lot of lake over on the right, and not as densely used as on our end

48+ hrs and no sighting?

given that the wind direction nas been pretty consistant since sat. but there is a lot of lake over on the right, and not as densely used as on our end

I've been scanning the lake with a telescope off Madison /Geneva

Visibility sucks

Son had fishing charter this morning 17 Miles North of Geneva (Told him to keep an eye out on the horizon)

I did a quick search with binoculars at a point on shore that I could see about 10 -15 miles off shore east of the Erie harbor and into New York. Not great visibility,but will try again later on in the day. I know some other people in Erie that are also looking. Good luck and I hope she is ok!

--/. Go Pens

Hindsight is 20-20 - and maybe they did - but throwing an anchor out may have been a better option than leaving the boat adrift.

They were in maybe 25' of water. Hope for the best.

Yup....looking here too...from the beach in Erie. Also alerted friends who are retired and fish a lot. Someone needs to recover all that beer.

is there a place locally to buy goslings ginger beer (cleveland area)?

Minotti's in Rocky River has it. It's usually in the very back of the store by the coolers.

If you are looking for a good ginger beer in two litter bottles. Dave's Market has the Goya brand and a Jamaican Ginger beer that has a bit more bite than the goslings.

WTF, give the kids the keys and hope for the best. Best to show them how to use the anchor,Dan...

Saw a leaked email from Dan suggesting that the young man in question had been briefed on how to use the anchor. (And how to button up the boat, also supposedly neglected that evening.)

WTF, give the kids the keys and hope for the best. Best to show them how to use the anchor,Dan...

Saw a leaked email from Dan suggesting that the young man in question had been briefed on how to use the anchor. (And how to button up the boat, also supposedly neglected that evening.)

If he had to be briefed on te anchor probibly not the conditions I would have sent him out in!!!!

GREAT NEWS! but I predict that someone is going to get neutered (more bad puns to follow)

post-1236-058572100 1345038034_thumb.jpg

question is - who is going to first to get to her? would imagine it is a salvage situation

Can we talk about the MHYC Regatta now.... Please.

Yes please.Glad the owner's boat has been found,if indeed that is true.Wind this weekend looks a bit more managable for the regatta.NW 10-15 Saturday /W 5-10 Sunday.31 entries as of yesterday.Sure they will see a few more.

Special Notice: The abandoned vessel Blue Dog was successfully located and towed by Lake Shore Towing of Erie Pa. She now lies safe in the basin of the Erie Yacht Club as of 1045 hrs Wednesday night. She appears to have no major damage.

wouldn't think she would have any damage - only just drifting around for 2-3 days

maybe a little rain down below, a dead battery, bruised ego

Yep! Three slips down from Powder Hound at the EYC. She looks great! Glad to see the boat is ok.

--/. Go Pens

not so fast....last night after the bar closed, I decided to help out, and deliver the boat the rest of the way...about 2 miles out, well, some complications....but its NOT lost... you can see the top of the mast clearly, sticking out of the water

Yep! Three slips down from Powder Hound at the EYC. She looks great! Glad to see the boat is ok.

--/. Go Pens

not so fast....last night after the bar closed, I decided to help out, and deliver the boat the rest of the way...about 2 miles out, well, some complications....but its NOT lost... you can see the top of the mast clearly, sticking out of the water

Hope you adhered to the proper procedure...fire off a shit load of flares, call the CG and then dive overboard (girlfriend should fend for herself).

--/. Go Pens

too soon

heard (and this is just hear say from somebody who might not know for sure) that blue dog just stopped at mhyc (pick up some fuel or who knows) and left

for home i would guess

she should have stayed and raced mhyc regatta this weekend to jump back on the saddle

heard (and this is just hear say from somebody who might not know for sure) that blue dog just stopped at mhyc (pick up some fuel or who knows) and left

for home i would guess

she should have stayed and raced mhyc regatta this weekend to jump back on the saddle

Dan left for vacation Monday, don't think the crew wanted to ask to use the boat.

To the general sailing community,

"Blue Dog has been found, recovered and safely leashed at Erie Yacht Club.

Dan is pleased with all the support that was shown during this interesting several days of hide and seek and wants to thank all that have supported him through this adventure. Once again it is fortunate that no one was hurt and the boat remained afloat.

For specific details please reach out to Dan for first hand information _____________ phone # omitted for SA

Cheers to all!

Tim Yanda - Commodore - Cleveland Sailing Association"

this one is for you, bob, fucking pussy.

1345160826[/url]' post='3828575']

this one is for you, bob, fucking pussy.

What type of pussy will bob be fucking, commodore?

where did dan go on vaca - erie?

here is what showed up at Sailing Inc. tonight - their first J70

i hear it will be at MHYC, hopefully sailing

post-52-085991900 1345168751_thumb.jpg

where did dan go on vaca - erie?

here is what showed up at Sailing Inc. tonight - their first J70

i hear it will be at MHYC, hopefully sailing

Who's is it?

i think it is SI's right now - they got an earlier hull # than they were supposed to, so i don't think they have had a chance to try to sell it

do know there are some interested peeps in the area and somebody at ewyc has one on order already

I'm curious how the 70 does. The biggest problem with small sport boats is the freakin' number of models that come and go in a few year's time. The J boat brand has the marketing horsepower and reputation to take it over and potentially establish a new version of the 22 fleet (assuming they don't follow their usual MO of issuing multiple models nearly the same size in short order).

I'm still not sure quite how I feel about this as I'm sure the J boat will be fairly fun and relatively easy to sail....but not as much fun as a real racer of this size. Then again having a number of people to race against straight up kind of negates whatever weaknesses the boat has overall.

Also, has anyone sailed a Viper or J/70 sized sport boat on Lake Erie? I'm curious how a small asym boat will handle the waves. Anyone get out on the VXone in some waves?

my guess is the j70 will be the next OD level boat around (maybe not cleveland, but most areas)

as you said, jboats and the family have gotten this right so many times

j35, J30, j80, j105 (700+), j109, 120, j100, j111, j22, j24

all those have more than 100+ boats sold, with some reaching 1000+

it really isn't a sport boat in the way a melges 24 is, so that will reach a lot more people

they have sold 100+ j70's already and are pumping out 5 a week!!!! they will make sure they are

built right and retain value (the jboat way)

they have the blue print on how to do it. everybody else would love to have any kind of #'s like they do.

so breakaway, the soverel 33 is for sale. hull delamination issues. theres another soverel 33 in that area thats also dead. such a shame really.

http://cleveland.cra...3103648697.html

interesting to see how bad the issue is. fixable?

I looked at Breakaway last week inside and out and read the survey completed earlier this year.The boat has not been abused at all but is showing the effects of racing over many seasons.Some TLC and a few upgrades including sails will put her back out on the racecourse.The hull delamination is located where the rear cradle pads contact the hull and easily fixable in my opinion.Breakaway has been sold already!

hopefully she's going to a good home. nice boat. that boat has a history in these parts.

did you buy her?

in other news, perfect day for a sail! buried the rail today. B)

The old Breakaway( aka US 25) in all her glory during the Falcon Cup 2012.It felt great to be back out on the water again after a long hiatus. Looking forward to new sails and a new season next year.

post-44360-053132400 1345236779_thumb.jpg

The old Breakaway( aka US 25) in all her glory during the Falcon Cup 2012.It felt great to be back out on the water again after a long hiatus. Looking forward to new sails and a new season next year.

nice. I should have looked for a ride for that race. looked fun as hell.

so breakaway, the soverel 33 is for sale. hull delamination issues. theres another soverel 33 in that area thats also dead. such a shame really.

http://cleveland.cra...3103648697.html

interesting to see how bad the issue is. fixable?

I looked at Breakaway last week inside and out and read the survey completed earlier this year.The boat has not been abused at all but is showing the effects of racing over many seasons.Some TLC and a few upgrades including sails will put her back out on the racecourse.The hull delamination is located where the rear cradle pads contact the hull and easily fixable in my opinion.Breakaway has been sold already!

hopefully she's going to a good home. nice boat. that boat has a history in these parts.

did you buy her?

in other news, perfect day for a sail! buried the rail today. B)

Cool. Soverels deserve to live on forever.

great time and race from mhyc to grand river last night

suprised how many turned out (15ish)

light air beat, but always moving around 4 knots or so

kids had a great time and they drove the whole race (even the start) and had the music blasting the whole way

getting into the GRSC was basically impossible and we (along with most others) had to move on down to GRYC (thank you) to find a dock

great time and race from mhyc to grand river last night

suprised how many turned out (15ish)

light air beat, but always moving around 4 knots or so

kids had a great time and they drove the whole race (even the start) and had the music blasting the whole way

getting into the GRSC was basically impossible and we (along with most others) had to move on down to GRYC (thank you) to find a dock

still not dredging? send the fat guys waaaay out and lean baby, lean

Congrats to all those who competed in the CSA circuit this season.

The summer is not yet over, though!!

Upcoming events at CYC:

September 5 - 9: 2012 Beneteau First 36.7 NACs

September 29 - 30: CYC Fall Regatta

I also know the Indigo is supposed to be a cool change up this year...

The Indigo (& Ogidni) needs the motto, "We go both ways!"

(And no more bitching about the transport up to Mentor)

The Indigo (& Ogidni) needs the motto, "We go both ways!"

(And no more bitching about the transport up to Mentor)

Nice!......I think it was a excellent idea to think out of the box and try to improve participation levels.Time will tell but credit to MHYC in making a effort.I'll be there as a result of this trial experiment this year.

Sad to report the passing of , Claire Titgemeyer. Her incredable warmth and service to racing sailors not only in the cleveland area, but accross the entire sailing community will be deeply missed...she was a mom to us all

To obtain obituaries please visit www.legacy.com which is a nationwide resource for obituaries and Guest Books. Obituaries may also be obtained by visiting .

post-1236-0-82829500-1346429506_thumb.jpg

Sad to report the passing of , Claire Titgemeyer. Her incredable warmth and service to racing sailors not only in the cleveland area, but accross the entire sailing community will be deeply missed...she was a mom to us all

To obtain obituaries please visit www.legacy.com which is a nationwide resource for obituaries and Guest Books. Obituaries may also be obtained by visiting http://www.cleveland...notices/</span> .

Very sad indeed. I can recall many years ago when Cleveland hosted the Junior Olympics and one of my daughters was struggling in heavy air out on the lake in her Opti.Both Claire and Jim took her under their wings and got her through it.Our condolences to Jim and all his family.

The Whitaker Family

A great person and a privilege to know her.

She will be missed on and off the racecourse by many.

Best wishes to Jim and family

- S&A Crew

Quite a sad day - She was a great lady and always made anybody who came in contact with her smile

Get out on the water this weekend and pour a little out of your first drink for mama titge

she will be greatly missed

jsmin and the "it" crew

Thanks for all your kind thoughts. Claire was my " Cruise Director " for the last 52 years.

Memorial Service will be Friday Sept 7, 5:00 PM at Mentor Methodist Church, Mentor, Ohio. Reception following. More info to follow

Thanks for all your kind thoughts. Claire was my " Cruise Director " for the last 52 years.

Memorial Service will be Friday Sept 7, 5:00 PM at Mentor Methodist Church, Mentor, Ohio. Reception following. More info to follow

Keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

see that both the Indigio and cleveland cup are planned for friday night and sat morning - also with the memorial services friday and sat will probably cut into boats also

not the best planning (putting the 2 on basically the same date) and wondered who is doing one, both or none and why?

20(some) Beneteau 36.7s are going to be racing at the 2012 NACs at CYC starting Thursday through Sunday... best of luck to all and fair winds... more emphasis on the latter.

see that both the Indigio and cleveland cup are planned for friday night and sat morning - also with the memorial services friday and sat will probably cut into boats also

not the best planning (putting the 2 on basically the same date) and wondered who is doing one, both or none and why?

Trio would like to be in, but would also like to support Papa Titge. Looks like something's gonna have to give... With all that the Titge's have done for CSA over the years, it seems proper to honor these contributions with a good contingent of SAers (and CSAers) at Claire's services as a show of support.

Just my .02 worth...

Trio would like to be in, but would also like to support Papa Titge. Looks like something's gonna have to give... With all that the Titge's have done for CSA over the years, it seems proper to honor these contributions with a good contingent of SAers (and CSAers) at Claire's services as a show of support.

Just my .02 worth...

SA needs a "like" button

so very true trio - think "it"'s plan is to go friday to the Memorial service and show our support on the water on sat

i have asked to see who has signed up for the cleveland cup, but have not heard back

Just heard that the Indigio Race has changed their start time to 8:00pm, so people can go to the memorial at 5:00pm and then race.

I know that the family would rather have people be able to do both and not have to skip either race (Indigio or Cleveland Cup).

No chatter about the Indigo/Ogidni? Looks to be an interesting (& wet) ride!

http://mhyc.us/boati.../results/12.pdf

Vanpire finished first at 3:30 am

congrats to those who competed- much respect to you for being hardcore racers. im gettin too old for that shit.

congrats to those who competed- much respect to you for being hardcore racers. im gettin too old for that shit.

Hardcore,maybe years ago.Foolish, absoublutely knowing the forecast going in.The forecast was spot on for the most part,light winds,heavy air,big shifts and plenty of rain.The light show to the North was very impressive.We enjoyed it until the last drifting episode after the storm came through.Owner decided he had enough.He's racing today just to dry things out.BTW,I'm too old for for that shit too..Congratulations to the finishers and winners.

Looks like EWYC is representing well at the J22 N.A.Keep it up guys!

Is it 36.7 NACs time yet?

Congrats to Shamrock & Twins on a great regatta. Didn't hear too much chatter about the event.

and of course Gary and his gang

CYC did great job. Been there twice now and look forward to a 3rd event sometime. A very welcoming membership and staff. Thanks

Thanks for the kind words about CYC -- always a pleasure welcoming in visitor boats.

Speaking of... two weekends from right now (9/29-9/30) is our annual FALL REGATTA... Chili/Chowder and Gyros... some great late summer/early fall racing!

Please join us -- all info is posted on cycrr.org > Racing > Regattas > Fall Regatta

Thanks and looking forward to seeing everyone!

Thanks for the kind words about CYC -- always a pleasure welcoming in visitor boats.

Speaking of... two weekends from right now (9/29-9/30) is our annual FALL REGATTA... Chili/Chowder and Gyros... some great late summer/early fall racing!

Please join us -- all info is posted on cycrr.org > Racing > Regattas > Fall Regatta

If ZAR comes I will donate a Keg!

For him to drink himself?

For him to drink himself?

Rum's on me if Vanpire joins us.

Rum's on me if Vanpire joins us.

\

What LOVE! but we're in a battle for the blue for EYC Sunday series...thinking I might hop on with someone if scedule allows for saturday, especially if it costs Wilbur a keg!

10 days til the close of early-registration for CYC Fall Regatta...

Who all is ready for chowder and gyros?

Cool if we could have the Hendo, F400, Mumms & Tracks involved.

10 days til the close of early-registration for CYC Fall Regatta...

Who all is ready for chowder and gyros?

Cool if we could have the Hendo, F400, Mumms & Tracks involved.

\

Yeah, it would be...

Sounds like we are shaping up to have some decent T10 and JAM fleets... how about PHRF?

Chowder is already being prepped... the more the merrier!

Entries are trickling in...

Weather is looking promising...

Chowder is a stewing...

All systems are go for CYC Fall Regatta!

For any visitors sailing with us this coming weekend, I would like to let you know I have been able to get permission for parking ON the island -- no shuttle! If you plan on doing so, please park towards the southern portion of the island, as the clubhouse is holding a party upstairs.

Thanks!