• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alphafb552

Countdown to Cascais

1,134 posts in this topic

Can't seem to find the green comm thread, but here's the Devoti interview.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="300" width="400" id="clip_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" bgcolor="#000000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="auto_play=false&start_volume=25&title=Green Comm Challenge Sailing Manager Luca Devoti&channel=onthewateranarchy&archive_id=291181247" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy#r=-rid-&s=em" class="trk" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width: 320px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv</a>

i hate the Cup website

hate it

boriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

you have to click so many times to find anything interesting

now if you go here:

http://www.cupinfo.com/index.htm

you can find all sorts of thing....on the front page

wow

what a concept

now i know where to get info from.

I totally agree. Cup website sucks. Not intuitive or catchy. Thanks for the link :D

i hate the Cup website

hate it

boriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

you have to click so many times to find anything interesting

now if you go here:

http://www.cupinfo.com/index.htm

you can find all sorts of thing....on the front page

wow

what a concept

now i know where to get info from.

I totally agree. Cup website sucks. Not intuitive or catchy. Thanks for the link :D

so i am reading scuttlebutt this morning and there is a great story with Craig about whato to expect of the racing

the changes to the umpires calls...everything we been asking for. so that we as intelligent fans can follow the cascais event

i hit the link to read more (suckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

http://www.americascup.com/en/Teams/ORACLE-Racing/Latest/News/2011/71/Behind-the-Sailing-Instructions/

and this is what you get

peeeehleeeeeeeeeeeeze....check how many pages you have to click to get to the meat of the story

and why on earth is this on the oracle team page?

and it's not the interview with Craig...its another similar story...one that still says there will be 10 teams on the line.....wow are we missing something?

no your honor....i don't have any more questions for the witness

no your honor

no more questions for the witless

seeing them there

sitting in the pool of shit

that flowed from the last question

it just ain't right...................

Hi ppl

Just did a mia to the thread/forum and all sailing sites.

Went out and bought myself an old trail motorcycle that i'm converting to a road thumper (600cc). So i've been quite busy and just this morning read the +/-300 post i missed.

Today took some photos but missed the big cheese photog, pitty!!

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Hope it's helpfull.

You were missed!

These are great, nice to see your face as well Nulo, thanks.

There is a lot more AC infrastructure there than I had realised. The '400 containers' is not looking so unrealistic any more

I hope you will be around to keep us up to date.

Putting a metal ring frame on top of a metal shipping container seems like a rather wasteful and inelegant solution to supporting the tent roofs. But we have heard rumours of problems with 'non-ISO' (?) containers so perhaps modifying them to include the necessary attachment points was not an option.

DSCF0153.JPG

Hope it's helpfull.

Great stuff thanks.

So what is the funny round building on its own pier?

And whose British(?) flagged yacht is that tied up to the main pier?

Dude! Spiked do and sleeve tatoos!

Hi ppl

Went out and bought myself an old trail motorcycle that i'm converting to a road thumper (600cc). So i've been quite busy and just this morning read the +/-300 post i missed.

Hope it's helpfull.

Good to hear from you. Need you to stake out the China Team base and give us regular updates. :D

Hi ppl

Hope it's helpfull.

You were missed!

There is a lot more AC infrastructure there than I had realised. The '400 containers' is not looking so unrealistic any more

Putting a metal ring frame on top of a metal shipping container seems like a rather wasteful and inelegant solution to supporting the tent roofs. But we have heard rumours of problems with 'non-ISO' (?) containers so perhaps modifying them to include the necessary attachment points was not an option.

DSCF0153.JPG

Sorry for the MIA spell.

Nav if for no other reason roofs must be that high, you must consider creatures confort!! blazing sun high 30 Celsius. forget elegant solutions .....lolll

From here:

They have their own ship to transport the 140 containers to Plymouth and SD and ???. 140 total or 140 plus teams is not 100% clear. Owning (or chartering) a ship, seems like a sensible solution to avoid delays but it also seems to me you could do a hell of a lot more with a ship once engaged, than use it only for transport.

From here:

They have their own ship to transport the 140 containers to Plymouth and SD and ???. 140 total or 140 plus teams is not 100% clear. Owning (or chartering) a ship, seems like a sensible solution to avoid delays but it also seems to me you could do a hell of a lot more with a ship once engaged, than use it only for transport.

Built-in stadium seating? I LIKE it.

Hi ppl

Hope it's helpfull.

You were missed!

DSCF0153.JPG

Sorry for the MIA spell.

Nav if for no other reason roofs must be that high, you must consider creatures confort!! blazing sun high 30 Celsius. forget elegant solutions .....lolll

Thanks again. I just meant they could have saved carrying a lot of unnecessary metal around if the supports went straight up from the metal containers, (regardless of the height required).

I had also earlier questioned whether they might use the ramp for anything but your shots show that they seem to have pretty effectively blocked that.

DSCF0183.JPG

The just published launch/retrieval instructions call for two launch cranes onsite. Any sign of these yet?

Maori/Polynesian tattoo?

Hope it's helpfull.

Great stuff thanks.

Hey Eagles

Funny round building- Marégrafo / tide gauge (over a century old i guess).

British flagged yacht " Dona Amélia" - Been there since the beginning of July guess is a VIP chartered accommodation together with that tent its easy to isolate. Heli pad and all.

Tatoos- Even got a Skull ;-))

Hope it's helpfull.

Great stuff thanks.

It's not so long ago you claimed they wouldn't have a media centre in bumfuck europe...so the photo of one Cascais must have been a bit of a shock to you..

Hi ppl

Hope it's helpfull.

You were missed!

DSCF0153.JPG

Sorry for the MIA spell.

Thanks again. I just meant they could have saved carrying a lot of unnecessary metal around if the supports went straight up from the metal containers, (regardless of the height required).

I had also earlier questioned whether they might use the ramp for anything but your shots show that they seem to have pretty effectively blocked that.

DSCF0183.JPG

The just published launch/retrieval instructions call for two launch cranes onsite. Any sign of these yet?

Maori/Polynesian tattoo?

The container across the top of the ramp doesn't mean a thing yet!

As i reported ages ago one crane will be located next that small black one (not yet there), the other you can see it behind the Marina administration building on the photo taken from the Heli pad.

Maori/Polynesian tattoo? Kind of, more of a fusion style, still a work in progress!!!

Hope it's helpfull.

Great stuff thanks.

It's not so long ago you claimed they wouldn't have a media centre in bumfuck europe...so the photo of one Cascais must have been a bit of a shock to you..

Didn't it always used to be considered lucky if a seagull shat on you?

Hi ppl

Hope it's helpfull.

Good to hear from you. Need you to stake out the China Team base and give us regular updates. :D

I'm known to, even sleeping, keep an eye on Te Kooti friend comrade Hu Jintao, can't forget what they are doing to Tibet and Tibetan people.

When the photos of Team Korea turning turtle came out we discussed how they might have been shot. I don't know whether anyone has any new insight into that but I note that some of the more recent 'onboard' shots are credited to GMR but with the added tag 'time lapse'.

All of these for example: http://www.americasc...37,1,en,f1.html

Interestingly they also show the aspect changes (landscape to portrait and back) that I thought proved that a photographer had been aboard TK, I guess that could be achieved in post processing by cropping a larger image, or there may be more than one camera aboard.

Here's another by GMR showing the finished ETNZ base in which I just read they are assembling the Red Grenade Launcher.

CASC1D17_9586.jpg.jpg

Hopefully they now have the video production cranked up again too.

CASC1D17_9421.jpg.jpg

CASC1D17_9421.jpg.jpg

Not with that rig they don't!

This one, though, might be good for something besides being fugly.

cat pic.jpg

CASC1D17_9421.jpg.jpg

Not with that rig they don't!

This one, though, might be good for something besides being fugly.

Yeah, well aware that that thing will provide a little bit of the coverage during the racing. I meant, I hope they start reporting again through the website on the daily activity leading up to the races, like we got used to in Auckland

(I'm trying to remember where I have seen that cabin mould before - on a RIB maybe?)

close....

img_0085_6.jpg

(I'm trying to remember where I have seen that cabin mould before - on a RIB maybe?)

That's the offspring of a menage a trois between a Nordhavn, a Protector 35, and an Extreme 40. <shudder>. Must say that I'd LOVE one though!

I wish i could show y'all the carbon media cat that one of our C-Class friends designed for us...but it'll have to wait.

That's the offspring of a menage a trois between a Nordhavn, a Protector 35, and an Extreme 40. <shudder>. Must say that I'd LOVE one though!

I wish i could show y'all the carbon media cat that one of our C-Class friends designed for us...but it'll have to wait.

X40 or F40/Prosail 40? I had some questions asked awhile ago...

I love the fact the AC45s were built in Warkworth and applaud use of Baytex tents from Mt. Maunganui/Tauranga (site of AC35).

However, the Cascais set-up looks a bit sterile.

Cooker-cutter.

Designed for ease of set-up and take-down.

But, who cares for all the uniformity?

Hopefully, Dalts does have a grenade launcher.

Or, at a minimum, some stroppy taniwha to be released at the right moment.

post-29902-029974600 1311911530_thumb.jpg

Don't think I ever said AC34 would not have a nice air conditioned, wifi'd, big screen media center.

It's that the media is not sitting there en masse as they are in San Francisco. Fisher, Alexander, Pickthall, Berlinghi, the usual SINS suspects will be there and quite pampered I'm sure, Alexander's standing order of lobster and chocolate covered strawberries at the ready but Reutors, CNN, NY Times...they are sharing the tide measuring building in Cascais. It looks locked and unoccupied.

Setup always does. Some flags and bunting and...Shazzamm...it's a party.

It's very picturesque and will be filled up and looking great.

Hope it's helpfull.

Great stuff thanks.

And whose British(?)Cayman Islands flagged yacht is that tied up to the main pier?

CASC1D17_9586.jpg.jpg

Glad they didn't insist on cutting down the palm trees ..

Since they've kept the palatial, 85'x60' bases, it seems 'rich' teams have pretty much taken over the privileged platform. Wonder where church mice will go, have they got own containers and canopies to begin with? WT, AL and ET supposed to relocate today.

CASC1D17_9586.jpg.jpg

Glad they didn't insist on cutting down the palm trees ..

Since they've kept the palatial, 85'x60' bases, it seems 'rich' teams have pretty much taken over the privileged platform. Wonder where church mice will go, have they got own containers and canopies to begin with? WT, AL and ET supposed to relocate today.

AR, ETNZ, CT and OR. The thing they have in common is not being 'rich', it is the fact that they had all received and sailed their AC45s in NZ* and did not need to prep them in the weeks before the marina in Cascais was ready to receive them. The others will all be accommodated just as well.

* and had ordered their tents and shipped them!

at

45’s safely into Cascais

Posted on 29 July 2011

Thanks to a smooth sail across the Atlantic Ocean, the containers carting ORACLE Racing’s two AC45 catamarans arrived in Cascais last night ahead of schedule.

contd

OR_CASC1D17_9582.jpg.jpg

Setup always does. Some flags and bunting and...Shazzamm...it's a party.

It's very picturesque and will be filled up and looking great.

No doubt. Lots of folks heading over, but not so many from this side o' the pond.

at

45's safely into Cascais

Posted on 29 July 2011

Thanks to a smooth sail across the Atlantic Ocean, the containers carting ORACLE Racing's two AC45 catamarans arrived in Cascais last night ahead of schedule.

contd

OR_CASC1D17_9582.jpg.jpg

Spot the difference

GG11-SFOJUNE_0725.jpgGG11-SFOJUNE_0559.jpg

Author: Guilain GRENIER

The day started cloudy/foggy even a few drops a rain and the wind factory seems out of stock. Hope it didn't close for holidays. (lolll)

But good news Angels just check in at the Marina!!

Todays photos:

Thanks Nulo - is it ok to post them? I'll take them down if not.

This looks like the one of the tents from the training camp at the pilot station - right? (It sits on the ground rather than on the containers). It seems the 'late teams' may not have met the 'requirement' that they have a tent from Tauranga??

DSCF0229.JPG

DSCF0228.JPG

Guest transfer boats? 'Stake' boats? Remotely controlled course marks?

DSCF0220.JPG

The day started cloudy/foggy even a few drops a rain and the wind factory seems out of stock. Hope it didn't close for holidays. (lolll)

But good news Angels just check in at the Marina!!

Todays photos:

Thanks Nulo - is it ok to post them? I'll take them down if not.

This looks like the one of the tents from the training camp at the pilot station - right? (It sits on the ground rather than on the containers). It seems the 'late teams' may not have met the 'requirement' that they have a tent from Tauranga??

No worries Nav they are our property! I'm not Sailing Anarchy grand fromage!!!

They sit on concrete blocks, you can spot them on the right side.

DSCF0229.JPG

DSCF0228.JPG

at

45's safely into Cascais

Posted on 29 July 2011

Thanks to a smooth sail across the Atlantic Ocean, the containers carting ORACLE Racing's two AC45 catamarans arrived in Cascais last night ahead of schedule.

contd

OR_CASC1D17_9582.jpg.jpg

Spot the difference

No AC logo on wing sail or flag of origion.

No AC logo on sail or flag of origion.

I believe that is still in Frisco, so not necessary at that time. See what they unveil in the next day or so in Cascais.

The first photo, originally posted by SR, is from today in Cascais, the two lower ones (from port and starboard) are from the SF tests. There seem to be differences in (5)'s wing, though it's not the best angle to be sure, (plus the differences that already existed between (4) and (5) )

But you are right, those elements are missing too compared to the other teams.

I believe that is still in Frisco, so not necessary at that time. See what they unveil in the next day or so in Cascais.

They say they plan to hit the water on the 4th.

Come on CT

So for the teams that clearly do have their own standard bases already, what is the order 'left to right' looking towards the bay, is it:

Artemis, ETNZ, <TBD>, Oracle?

Here is pic from pier 80 (SF) the day after Couts went through the wing. Anyone see a difference?

post-34764-063358200 1311983556_thumb.jpg

at

45's safely into Cascais

Posted on 29 July 2011

contd

OR_CASC1D17_9582.jpg.jpg

Spot the difference

Spaceballs joined the crew?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8auGAJrnpY4

Come on CT

So for the teams that clearly do have their own standard bases already, what is the order 'left to right' looking towards the bay, is it:

Artemis, ETNZ, <TBD>, Oracle?

Artemis, ETNZ, China Team, Oracle twice.

post-24846-067708900 1311985155_thumb.jpgpost-24846-016043300 1311985120_thumb.jpg

This guys will be on dynamic stand bye, just in case ....

Cool photos, thank you.

So you figure the other four teams will be in the 'lower tier' tents, aligned at right angle to the 'big' five?

Is there also an ACRM ops tent on site?

Any sign of a stage near the beach yet, that's the 'Baia' right?

Gorgeous place, am so envious.

Nav, thanks for the photo posts, generous effort, enjoy seeing the good ones here in our context.

post-24846-067708900 1311985155_thumb.jpgpost-24846-016043300 1311985120_thumb.jpg

Cool photos, thank you.

So you figure the other four teams will be in the 'lower tier' tents, aligned at right angle to the 'big' five?

Nav, thanks for the photo posts, generous effort, enjoy seeing the good ones here in our context.

ACRM "compound" fenced and all: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LJdoSG0YpRera9npOwJM7K-3YCID8BR8Ji8EKJqihGY?feat=directlink

Baia hotel is on "praia dos pescadores" and i think spectators will be from "praia da Conceição" to "praia do Estoril" and there's a wall all along this beaches, ppl use to walk the "Paredão"

Cool photos, thank you.

Posting the photos here is no problem, I hope it doesn't slow things down too much for anyone interested but with a slow connection. I just have to remember to include the attribution each time.

Here are the ACRM /ACEA/Production Suite (?) units test assembled at the port in Lisbon.

CASC1D1_0127.jpg

Author: Gilles Martin-Raget

These two show shots show one of those units in place alongside the ramp at the marina in Cascais, the shot Nulo posted looks like it could be the second one being used more as a technical/mechanical working area. Perhaps the have split the ACRM and ACEA areas completely

I guess this might be the Production Suite judging by the generators that seem to be attached.

DSCF0183.JPG

CASC1D16_93261.jpg

Author: Gilles Martin-Raget

Definitely room for four bases (5 boats) in Rich Row, so there should be 4 in Late lane?

Hi nulo,

What kind of advertising does ACEA make in Cascais and the zone of attraction (e.g. up to Lisbon, Sintra and Loures, and down to Seixal/Setúbal)? Apart from this TV/news broadcast the other day, are there other ads in TV, Radio and (local) newspapers? Large-scale placards/city light posters in the cities and on the roadsides, so that the locals are informed? Flyers in the local shops? In short, whyt presence does the ACWS show in and around Cascais?

Hi nulo,

What kind of advertising does ACEA make in Cascais and the zone of attraction (e.g. up to Lisbon, Sintra and Loures, and down to Seixal/Setúbal)? Apart from this TV/news broadcast the other day, are there other ads in TV, Radio and (local) newspapers? Large-scale placards/city light posters in the cities and on the roadsides, so that the locals are informed? Flyers in the local shops? In short, whyt presence does the ACWS show in and around Cascais?

Not much, my neighbor got a leaflet in the mailbox with the sailing program and side shows in and around the Marina. i'll post it later.

Hi nulo,

Not much, my neighbor got a leaflet in the mailbox with the sailing program and side shows in and around the Marina. i'll post it later.

Thanks for the info. It's probably this one: acws_0111_Program.pdf

Hi nulo,

Thanks for the info. It's probably this one: acws_0111_Program.pdf

yeah that's it.

Clean, Ed or whoever is in charge:

Can you please anchor a post at the top of this thread with the specifics on how to watch what coverage there is. It'll drive traffic to SA as there's roughly 12 million hits on various search terms on "where to watch AC34" on the interweb searches.

The one remaining problem with SA is to get to the facts you have to read through hundreds of rants...(I acknowledge this being one of them).

Xfinity has nothing on what markets they will broadcast this....typical Comcast crappy service.

Can you please anchor a post at the top of this thread with the specifics on how to watch what coverage there is. It'll drive traffic to SA as there's roughly 12 million hits on various search terms on "where to watch AC34" on the interweb searches.

The one remaining problem with SA is to get to the facts you have to read through hundreds of rants...(I acknowledge this being one of them).

Xfinity has nothing on what markets they will broadcast this....typical Comcast crappy service.

We have an inquiry out to ACRM to give us the sched. At the moment, nothing is published anywhere. As soon as we know, you'll know - and we'll pin it.

Cheers Drew

A

We have an inquiry out to ACRM to give us the sched. At the moment, nothing is published anywhere. As soon as we know, you'll know - and we'll pin it.

Cheers Drew

A

The only schedule ACRM/ACEA might have a handle on surely is their own intended online coverage. Once they have sold/given the coverage to broadcasters it's up to them to schedule/announce/promote to their audience is it not?

And as this is generally one outlet per country, how hard can it be for those interested ^^^ to check with the broadcaster about their plans, assuming it's not already on their websites etc.

Once they have sold/given the coverage to broadcasters it's up to them to schedule/announce/promote to their audience is it not?

I thought AC34 already announced the races will be streamed live on the web via a link at the AC34 website?

That is the only sane way to do it.

[how hard can it be for those interested ^^^ to check with the broadcaster about their plans, assuming it's not already on their websites etc.

We don't really care about the cable TV schedule, but I think you'll find that even the online schedule - which is certainly something they should 'have a handle on' - is unavailable to mortal humans. That's what our inquiry is about.

And judging from the above post, you must not know much about cable either; calling up Comcast to find out when they are showing the America's Cup World Series from Portugal is a guaranteed good time.

[how hard can it be for those interested ^^^ to check with the broadcaster about their plans, assuming it's not already on their websites etc.

We don't really care about the cable TV schedule, but I think you'll find that even the online schedule - which is certainly something they should 'have a handle on' - is unavailable to mortal humans. That's what our inquiry is about.

And judging from the above post, you must not know much about cable either; calling up Comcast to find out when they are showing the America's Cup World Series from Portugal is a guaranteed good time.

You're right about that Clean, I've never had it and hadn't heard of Comcast until it was mentioned here. But if you guys are so clued up about all that TV stuff, how come you argue about what is and isn't pay per view and can't figure out the scheduling 6 days out? Really who the hell cares anyway, it's online, leave the TV to die a natural death? (and yeah I'll be crawling back if I can't get a fix online)smile.gif

They're training right in front of the webcam this morning http://jchome.dyndns...guestimage.html

For onboard camera people the job got a bit lighter

ac34-tv-trials-coutts-gmrac-0786-2.jpg

Photo:©2011 Gilles Martin-Raget/americascup.com

I'm confused, that looks like RC on an RC44, nothing to do with AC45s

RC Mono World Champs and RC Multi World Champs will use the same gear, no?

My bad!

They're training right in front of the webcam this morning http://jchome.dyndns...guestimage.html

For onboard camera people the job got a bit lighter

ac34-tv-trials-coutts-gmrac-0786-2.jpg

Photo:©2011 Gilles Martin-Raget/americascup.com

I'm confused, that looks like RC on an RC44, nothing to do with AC45s

RC Mono World Champs and RC Multi World Champs will use the same gear, no?

My bad!

Don't know, not sure if that is an official video guy or not but I don't think that rig is water resistant enough to hang at the back end of an AC45 at speed.

A new photo gallery is up, it includes China Team boat activity

AC 45 now sail off Cascais

Looks like they are building a little public interest. It also appears to be a fairly informal and open atmosphere around the working teams - all good.

CASC1D18_9897.jpg

Seat for the video guy?

Its for a camera and mic:

Med_AC45NZ3D10_37781.jpg

Perfect pic, thnx. Like X suggested (I think..) that sucker is beefy, had me wondering if they could mount even a 'Guest Racer' chair on it.

But the connection to the rear beam would not support that much, to my guess.. still, why so big?

Posted · Hidden by Schoonerman, July 31, 2011 - Redundant

[

Perfect pic, thnx. Like X suggested (I think..) that sucker is beefy, had me wondering if they could mount even a 'Guest Racer' chair on it.

But the connection to the rear beam would not support that much, to my guess.. still, why so big?

The original one was smaller but kept getting used as a handhold on Oracle 5 when the boat got tippy so it had to beefed up to hold a trimmers weight sideways :lol:

You're right about that Clean, I've never had it and hadn't heard of Comcast until it was mentioned here. But if you guys are so clued up about all that TV stuff, how come you argue about what is and isn't pay per view and can't figure out the scheduling 6 days out? Really who the hell cares anyway, it's online, leave the TV to die a natural death? (and yeah I'll be crawling back if I can't get a fix online)smile.gif

Searched Comcast, Sportsnet and Xfinity's entire schedule. Closest hit was the upcoming curling championships recap :angry:

Nav...Comcast has a new slogan..."we don't care, we don't have too." with the roughly 1000 channels they distribute, they have absolutely no idea what is on when nor even how to find out.

Alan...thanks for the help...you need anything on the ground up here, let me know.

[

The original one was smaller but kept getting used as a handhold on Oracle 5 when the boat got tippy so it had to beefed up to hold a trimmers weight sideways :lol:

So it's an OSH (O Shit Handle!) Makes sense... Actually, Shannon could have used that to good effect in the SF capsize.

New folder up

AC45 final preparation and measurement

edit, ETNZ has an OSH too: http://americascupme...f254p96n11.html

Seat for the video guy?

Its for a camera and mic:

Med_AC45NZ3D10_37781.jpg

This has been mentioned before (when the regatta notice came out) and there are full technical drawings in this lot somewhere:

http://noticeboard.a...n-Equipment.pdf

http://noticeboard.a...t-see-RN-32.zip

It's an update of the photo posted above by drew, in that it now supports the GPS antennae on that forward facing platform, as well as a 3D camera and the 5.1 mic etc, IIRC

Sunday was a 'rest day' for the teams, to allow the technicians access to the boats to begin installing the comms gear apparently

The ETNZ Cafe

CASC1D20_0213.jpgAuthor: Gilles Martin-Raget

Their banana seat

CASC1D20_0209.jpgAuthor: Gilles Martin-Raget

Load cell/strain gauge thingy

CASC1D20_0140.jpgAuthor: Gilles Martin-Raget

America's Cup: New TV graphics will be a sporting first

Alt_AC45NZ3D9_18661.jpg'34th America’s Cup - AC45 Test Event - Day 9 - TV Production' Gilles Martin-Raget/www.americascup.com

from: http://www.sail-world.com/Europe/Americas-Cup:-New-TV-graphics-will-be-a-sporting-first/86613 and http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43936755/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

America's Cup officials haven't announced a TV deal yet, but say the first AC World Series stop will be aired in more than 20 countries and streamed live on americascup.com

Damn, that looks like some expensive stuff.

Hell they probably got all those flags for a few hundred $ - that's nothing!laugh.gif

Seriously, don't forget these.......

DSCF0220.JPG© NULO

...there are at least 8 ACRM boats in that shot alone and the 'Operating Instructions', http://noticeboard.a...d-Agreement.pdf call for more still, plus the X40 camera platform, the choppers and and and.........! Should lead to some.................

SUPERB RACING

POSTED ON 01 AUGUST 2011

"The racing is going to be superb," says Terry Hutchinson, the skipper of Artemis Racing.

Following his team's first training session at the venue on Monday, Artemis Racing skipper Terry Hutchinson said Cascais will deliver great conditions and he expects the racing will be "full-on and action-packed".

Two teams made their debut on the waters off Cascais on Monday as Emirates Team New Zealand and Artemis Racing sailed for the first time.

"It was windy, at the top end probably about 30 knots, so it's going to be exciting…" Hutchinson said. "These boats are very boat-handling intensive. Once you get that part of your game ironed out, you can really focus on the speed and tactics…"

More teams are expected to sail as the week progresses, with the fleet focused on packing in as much preparation as possible ahead of Saturday's first fleet races.

There's more.....(this has today's date but I have the feeling I've read most of it before - maybe in the team blog)

ORACLE Racing in final preps for ACWS – Cascais

POSTED ON 01 AUGUST 2011

ORACLE Racing's two AC45 catamarans arrived in Cascais, Portugal, signaling the team's final round of preparations for the inaugural America's Cup World Series, scheduled Aug. 6-14.

The regatta pits the U.S. champion team against all of the challengers for the 34th America's Cup for the first time. And it will demonstrate the vision that has fast-forwarded one of the oldest competitions in sport into a high-seed, innovative and modern event.

ORACLE Racing will field two crews in the event, headed by America's Cup stars James Spithill and Russell Coutts, respectively the youngest skipper and the most successful skipper in the 160-year history of the event.

"The America's Cup World Series will showcase all of the teams racing right in front of the spectators," said Coutts, the ORACLE Racing CEO who has won the Cup a record four times. "So I expect fans to see hard, fast and dramatic racing taking place right in front of them."

Spithill, who was 30 years old when he won the 33rd America's Cup in February 2010, expects a fierce challenge, not just from the competitors but also the conditions. Cascais is renowned as a windy venue, and it's lived up to that reputation the past few weeks.

"We've been looking forward to Cascais for a long time now," said Spithill of Australia. "We're very anxious. Obviously, there are some nerves. We want to get out there and have a good result. You have to be consistent and have good team work. These boats reward good team work."

The team's two AC45 catamarans arrived last Thursday, July 27, after a 10-day voyage from Savannah, Ga., that wound through Algeciras, Spain, before being trucked overland to Portugal, proof of the smart logistics and easy transportation that were a key part of the AC45 design concept.

The shore crew began assembling the boats over the weekend and preparing for the expected arrival of the sailing team tomorrow.

"It's about a four-day turnaround from pulling the pieces out of the containers to wheeling the assembled boat out the door for its first sail," said Wolfgang Chamberlain, ORACLE Racing's shore team manager in Cascais. "We started on Saturday and the first scheduled day of sailing is Aug. 4, so we're well on schedule."

With the regatta set to start Saturday anticipation is building for all involved. The ACWS – Cascais is the first step on the road to the 34th America's Cup in September 2013 and will be followed by two more events later this year.

ORACLE Racing's first scheduled sailing day is Thursday, Aug. 4. The regatta begins with three fleet races scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 6.

By the way, is JS still the youngest skipper? (given that this is not really the AC)

Hi

Today we got that rainy day feeling with real rain and wind but it cleared for the afternoon. However there's some more in stock for tomorrow and following days, there's a powerful low right on top of us. So Xlot bring on your rain gear.

http://www.meteo.pt/resources.www/data/observacao/satelite/imagens/20110801/ztgozVfuQBhMzdcNCYVW/201108011900_msg2_msg_ir_atlan.jpeg

It turns out I should be sailing a mate's Dufour 40 into Lisbon around 17/18th August (we have sailed it in stages from Chichester to Vigo). Will the AC teams have cleared out by then or is it possible we will see any boats out?

It turns out I should be sailing a mate's Dufour 40 into Lisbon around 17/18th August (we have sailed it in stages from Chichester to Vigo). Will the AC teams have cleared out by then or is it possible we will see any boats out?

• August 6 – 7 fleet racing
  • August 10 – 12 both fleet and match racing
  • August 13 match racing finals
  • August 14 fleet racing finals

You'd be lucky, but it's possible some will continue training. I had the date they had to vacate the marina by at one point, but can't remember it just now.