Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cable-Layer

Chicago-Mackinac July 16

Does anyone know of somebody needing one way trip via land to the island? is anyone riding up there in a car with someone?

I am dire need of finding someone to drive a car up there!!! My connection from last year is sadly not able to do it this year..

Its a nice car and will be full of gas, with some gas money, so no expense!!!

Great way for delivery crew to get up there also, just sayin..

PM or call Thanks,

Marc

502-718-2969

I am considering putting together a charter flight to Midway on Wednesday taking off around 10 or 11am. Anyone interested or know people that may be? I can get the details once I know how many people we're talking about.

CL

I'm looking for a ride down to Chicago from the northern Michigan area... Boyne City, Petoskey, TC, etc...

Please PM if you have any leads.

Thanks!

DT

If anyone on here makes 2am closing on Sunday night I'll buy a round.

Leave a credit card with Brendan. We'll toast you guys, regardless.

So that means you're starting w the cruising class?

You're the one racing on a cruising boat. Handle of Rum to the best in fleet corrector?

Bump.....

Does anyone know of somebody needing one way trip via land to mackinac island, after chi-mac? is anyone riding up there in a car with someone?

I am dire need of finding someone to drive a car up there!!! My connection from last year is sadly not able to do it this year..

Its a nice car and will be full of gas, with some gas money, so no expense!!!

Great way for delivery crew to get up there also, just sayin..

PM or call Thanks,

Marc

502-718-2969

12:30 - 3:30 AM Monday.

That's acceptable.

2 conflicting models right now, but both have our ETA's at between 332AM Monday and 335AM Monday.

Is anyone on the Pellston flight on Tuesday night? Looking to hitch a ride from the ferry or split a cab.

I am but take the minibus. about 20 bucks picks you up at any of the ferry docks. just call them.

Robin

Is anyone on the Pellston flight on Tuesday night? Looking to hitch a ride from the ferry or split a cab.

I am but take the minibus. about 20 bucks picks you up at any of the ferry docks. just call them.

Robin

yeah, it's the way to go.

Assume you've checked into this from the race website?

"Want to beat the Bus Back back? New direct air service to Pellston and charter service to Mac Island.

Lakeshore Express is the new exclusive provider of direct airfare from Chicago to Pellston and back. Do you need to turn the six-hour drive in to one hour? They can be reached at 773-251-4414 or lakeshoreexpress.com Extremely good rates!

This is kind of funny because when you go to the web site for Lakeshore Express they only have 3 flight from Pellston to Midway:

Pellston Regional Airport

Departures

Friday 9:00am

Sunday 4:00pm

Sunday 8:00pm

Show of hands, how many of you expect to be finished in time for crew to get to Pellston by 8p Sunday night? If not, beating the bus back to Chicago is going to mean some really serious mechanical problems on that bus (which leaves at 10am Wednesday morning)!

tongue.gif

Robin

I know many sailors that are most likely used to riding a minibus (aka short bus), in their school days...

We will be in on Friday to get interviews with as many folks as possible for running during Saturday's live broadcast. Keep an eye out for team OTWA.

Gentlemen being from the Detroit area I have a simple request however stupid it may sound. I would like to honor Ton Neill as we go through the reef. I sailed agains Tom for years and last year we did not make the trip to the island. What bouy is the marker for a few Miller Lights and a good cigar?

Clean this Mark is sailing VORTICIES the J145 in Section 1. We are docking at Columbia.

Gentlemen being from the Detroit area I have a simple request however stupid it may sound. I would like to honor Ton Neill as we go through the reef. I sailed agains Tom for years and last year we did not make the trip to the island. What bouy is the marker for a few Miller Lights and a good cigar?

Clean this Mark is sailing VORTICIES the J145 in Section 1. We are docking at Columbia.

From the SI's:

13.3 Boats shall leave New Shoal Lighted Bell Buoy 3 (2010 LL No. 17745) to starboard

Last year I saw photos on this site of a case of Miller Lite situated on the bouy...nice touch!

Early predictions now are all SW winds!

Can we get DryArmour to chime in on the thread?

Hey y'all. I'm super psyched to be covering the start of the race--one of my most favorite races!! Go fresh water....if you're interested in being part of the show, please send me a pm so we can figure out how to get a hold of you and get you involved. See you at the start line!!

Mer

need someone to take a crew van to the island . . . know someone available?

Sure do if you don't have someone yet

adams49441@gmail.com

From the SI's:

13.3 Boats shall leave New Shoal Lighted Bell Buoy 3 (2010 LL No. 17745) to starboard

Last year I saw photos on this site of a case of Miller Lite situated on the bouy...nice touch!

someone touched the mark

Hay MR. & Mis Clean I will be there with Hasten, Colmbia Docks there is cocktale or 3 for ya there.

Fritz from Racine

It was secured on there pretty good, anyone care to wager that it's still there ?

Are there any boats leaving the island Wednesday for Port Huron that I could perhaps catch a ride with? I would be more than happy to help in any way possible on the delivery. If so please PM me with details.

Anyone trying to get off the Island Monday night/Tuesday morning? I need to get back to work and have a spot in my car back to Chicago

Call or PM me 847 507 1179

Andy

Are there any boats leaving the island Wednesday for Port Huron that I could perhaps catch a ride with? I would be more than happy to help in any way possible on the delivery. If so please PM me with details.

If your going to Port Huron most boats will be leaving Monday or Tuesday

:huh:

The boat I'm doing the race on isn't exactly a sled so I was hoping to find someone leaving the island later in case we aren't in by Tuesday.

Anyone in Chicago who would happen to know somewhere I could ship some plastic awning track to? Or, anyone know where I could buy some?

The boat I'm doing the race on isn't exactly a sled so I was hoping to find someone leaving the island later in case we aren't in by Tuesday.

Leaving Mac Island no later than 3:00 PM Tuesday for Port Huron.

#5 for me. Hope the weather cooperates. My rides have ranged from 41 to 70 (ouch) hours. Good luck to all...

Yes, I got a call form the owner a couple hours ago, Pinball Wizard was blown off its cradle. Apparently its on the ground with multiple holes in the hull and deck, and will be unable to do the race.

Anyone have room for a father and son crew combo? Father with 14 PH, and 3 Chi Macs, was to be 19 year old son’s first. Any leads would be appreciated.

One Guy, Where was Pinball Wiz. Racine? Think I might have seen her, but not sure yesterday morn. I will be back there in the morn and hopefuly wont have to get pics.

Anyone headed back Tues after the rum party that is going near Holland, Muskegon, or Grand Rapids? I could use a ride home, assuming you are still sober enough to drive. PM me.

need someone to take a crew van to the island . . . know someone available?

Sure do if you don't have someone yet

adams49441@gmail.com

Got someone. Good luck.

Leaving Mac Island no later than 3:00 PM Tuesday for Port Huron.

Hey thanks for offering. If I make it up there by then I will take you up on that.

Anyone in Chicago who would happen to know somewhere I could ship some plastic awning track to? Or, anyone know where I could buy some?

WTF - Are you trying to get the yellow bus to join the Awning Brigade?

You can always try UK Sails Chi-town. they are a good bunch and always very helpful - I am sure you could send it to them or buy some track from them - If you need contact inf - let me know

Any of the other lofts in town (north/doyle) will have awning track too as will (most likely) Crowley's Yacht Yard (but they are really inconveniently located in the far south of the city.

C

WTF - Are you trying to get the yellow bus to join the Awning Brigade?

You can always try UK Sails Chi-town. they are a good bunch and always very helpful - I am sure you could send it to them or buy some track from them - If you need contact inf - let me know

Any of the other lofts in town (north/doyle) will have awning track too as will (most likely) Crowley's Yacht Yard (but they are really inconveniently located in the far south of the city.

C

Thanks man, will hit them up. We are actually going in at Crowleys, so I will try there first.

leaving for delivery to chicago wednesday night around 9:00pm from west Michigan, anyone else going to be in the area on their way down?

leaving for delivery to chicago wednesday night around 9:00pm from west Michigan, anyone else going to be in the area on their way down?

Pretty sure that QuickSilver from St. Joe's is on that time schedule.

We're heading out of South Haven at 8am on Thursday so we'll be a few hours behind you.

Forecasts are looking like a hot weekend with a spinnaker start in single digits wind. How 'bout later on?

That's my plan as well. Looks like a 7.2 Kt motor boat ride at this point.

Ticklish

Forecasts are looking like a hot weekend with a spinnaker start in single digits wind. How 'bout later on?

When you say "hot", what exactly are we talking about here... I was seeing mid 80's as the highs... :blink:

When you say "hot", what exactly are we talking about here... I was seeing mid 80's as the highs... :blink:

Their definition of hot is similar to our definition of cold.

Thought I saw low to mid 90s for Sat and Sun but maybe you have better info. Shouldn't be that hot out on the lake unless you are running the shoreline.

Thought I saw low to mid 90s for Sat and Sun but maybe you have better info. Shouldn't be that hot out on the lake unless you are running the shoreline.

Unsure of the reliability but multiple sources seem to say the same 84sat and 87sun as the highs... probably a bit cooler on the water...

No big deal regarding the heat. If ya get really hot just take a dip about 20' down and you'll be nice and cool. Or drop your drinks over the side in a bag for awhile and the same will result. :blink:

post-161-080278700 1310477823_thumb.gif

I'll be down below working on something should we happen to snag anything on the keel... :ph34r:

Is anyone driving up to the island on Saturday? I'm making my way up by car on Monday but this chick contacted me and she is wanting to go up on Saturday. Any thoughts?

Little tip for you VA guys. The waves taste pretty good once north of Milwaukee.;)

I'll be down below working on something should we happen to snag anything on the keel... :ph34r:

Little tip for you VA guys. The waves taste pretty good once north of Milwaukee.;)

Ahh beer and urine. Hail Summerfest!

Ticklish

We're leaving Holland on Drumbeat roughly that timeline.

Ahh beer and urine. Hail Summerfest!

eew...

I have a guy on board who is looking for a flight/ride off the island Tuesday evening. He contacted Blue Sky Taxi and, as of now, is the only one interested. They are looking for $1100 for the flight. Thought I'd check here to see if anyone is interested in splitting the flight at $500 or $350 (I believe their planes hold 3). Thanks.

We're proud to announce that Line Honors Performance Sailing Supply is the title sponsor of our live coverage of the start of the CYC Race To Mackinac. I think we might even be able to fly JC up to do the commentating, and thanks for all the notes you've sent Mer and me about helping us make it great. If you'd like to be one of our 'live call-ins" from the hour or two after the start, and you can afford to go down below to make a phone call or task a crew to do it so we can stream your report live, we'd appreciate you sending an email to meredith@blocksail.com so she can put it in her database.

Big thanks to Bob@linehonors.com and we hope to have another announcement for you shortly!

Ticklish

I'm looking to Launch Wed Evening in Holland, and sleep till 2 or 3 am then leave. If you know anyone that wants to join me on a F31R Tri let m know.

Tri

Two more big announcements:

First, thanks to our advertisers, we're bringing in the A-Team.

Our broadcast team is:

John Casey, Commentator and Research

Alan Block, Camera and Director

Meredith Block, Producer

Morgan Kinney, Sound

Second, In addition to title sponsor Line Honors, the nice folks at J/Boats are joining the party as presenting sponsor. Please thank them for helping bring live sailing to the interwebs.

Finally, our plan is to broadcast the skipper's meeting live on Friday, and then start broadcasting live from the dockside on Saturday morning with live interviews as everyone gets ready to go. We'll keep rolling as we head out to the course, mixing in recorded interviews from Friday with shots and commentary from the course as the boats get ready for the start, and then we'll have live video of every start. Finally, we've got a few people who will be calling in after all the starts are over, and we'll stream their audio updates live as we head in to the dock. And then we'll go home!

Please email Mer or send her a PM if you are interested in being part of the call-in brigade. And pleae let your families know they'll be able to watch you sail off into the distance.

Our broadcast team is:

Meredith Block, Producer

Morgan Kinney, Sound

Second, In addition to title sponsor Line Honors, the nice folks at J/Boats are joining the party as presenting sponsor. Please thank them for helping bring live sailing to the interwebs.

Finally, our plan is to broadcast the skipper's meeting live on Friday, and then start broadcasting live from the dockside on Saturday morning with live interviews as everyone gets ready to go. We'll keep rolling as we head out to the course, mixing in recorded interviews from Friday with shots and commentary from the course as the boats get ready for the start, and then we'll have live video of every start. Finally, we've got a few people who will be calling in after all the starts are over, and we'll stream their audio updates live as we head in to the dock. And then we'll go home!

Please email Mer or send her a PM if you are interested in being part of the call-in brigade. And pleae let your families know they'll be able to watch you sail off into the distance.

easy link for us to send to friends and family?

Ticklish

I wish we could motor at 7.2

Ticklish

I wish we could motor at 7.2

We can... on the beneteau :P

Ticklish

I'm looking to Launch Wed Evening in Holland, and sleep till 2 or 3 am then leave. If you know anyone that wants to join me on a F31R Tri let m know.

Tri

Whoops, make that 11am.

Our broadcast team is:

Meredith Block, Producer

Morgan Kinney, Sound

Great that you guys will be there. Hope to see you up on the island. Maybe you can set up a broadcast post in the Pink Pony.

Does anyone have a good template to use for a crew rotation sked ? We're a 10-person crew, I'm thinking 3 hour shifts, rotating people on in staggered hours so you don't go from your bunk to full-on all at the same time. Also, never want more than 3 people fully 'off' / sleeping

I know how I want it, just don't know how to display it.

Surely there is an excel spreadsheet nerd here somewhere ?

If you could post here or email to eric@terrafirmaprop.com I'd happily owe you a beer and one free port-starboard situation

3 guys on for 3 hours gives 6 hours rest between shifts. Captain is a floater. This race really shouldn't take long enough to get into shift sleep.

Does anyone have a good template to use for a crew rotation sked ? We're a 10-person crew, I'm thinking 3 hour shifts, rotating people on in staggered hours so you don't go from your bunk to full-on all at the same time. Also, never want more than 3 people fully 'off' / sleeping

I know how I want it, just don't know how to display it.

Surely there is an excel spreadsheet nerd here somewhere ?

If you could post here or email to eric@terrafirmaprop.com I'd happily owe you a beer and one free port-starboard situation

Just sent you an email with an example of how to display.

Hippie, what's the latest projection?

Jeff,

J105 - 0030 to 0300 Monday - 1220 Start on Saturday

TP52 - 1409 to 1900 Sunday - 1420 Start on Saturday

In Texas studying the hot SW breeze today.

Hippie out.