Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cable-Layer

Chicago-Mackinac July 16

Best of luck to everyone, especially the Multihull class!

Our best out to the smallest of the fleet, the corsair 28 of BIG Storm with Jim and Deb and crew.

We will be watching!

Have a safe race everyone!

Robert and Mary kansa

Hey. Does anyone know if they allow moonshine at the awards party? Us boys from Tennessee on Opus Dei want to get the party started right! They were never that stuffy on the Bayview Mac. See ya'll on the island. Were ready to surf!

Always better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Hope to see you in the Champion of Champion's race for the PH MAC this year too.

Anyone need some last minute crew or know anyone who does?

I've done the Mac before; foredeck on a J120. I've done all sorts of sailing out of Chicago.

630-815-2339

Scott Larson

Goldscott@gmail.com

Hi Andy - looking for a ride back Monday or Tuesday to Chicago. Let me know if you still have space in your car.

Anyone trying to get off the Island Monday night/Tuesday morning? I need to get back to work and have a spot in my car back to Chicago

Call or PM me 847 507 1179

Andy

Someone asked me to send them email updates with weather and information regarding where boats are from back on the shore. I thought this to be illegal... rule 41 ©. Can anyone confirm if I am right or wrong on this?

I think you are correct. They can get the info from a publicly available source. If you get it, you have to give that info to everybody in the race.

Someone said I shouldn't wear my Speedo at the start, and prior to that when we go by Navy Pier....

Is this true?

Someone said I shouldn't wear my Speedo at the start, and prior to that when we go by Navy Pier....

Is this true?

Breaking out the 'budgie smuggler' early this year? Right on...

I think you are correct. They can get the info from a publicly available source. If you get it, you have to give that info to everybody in the race.

Is it that clear?

"14.1 ... information freely available to all boats and any publicly offered internet or broadcast weather information from sources available to all competitors, whether on a subscription or free basis is allowable. ALLOWABLE SERVICES MUST PROVIDE THE SAME INFORMATION TO ALL COMPETITORS AND NOT PROVIDE BOATSPECIFIC WEATHER OR ROUTING INFORMATION. Competitors may use any means to retrieve the data...."

Assuming what is being e-mailed is just a direct copy of something available on the web (available to all competitors and just "cut-and-pasted"), doesn't the phrase "Competitors may use any means to retrieve the data" make it allowable?

Speaking of directly available... Here is the smartphone friendly site I drew up for this year's race:

www.mitchandkate.com/weather

Is this true?

awferfucksake... with your body, we wouldn't see the front of the speedo as it would be completely covered by your gut and the back... I don't even want to think about that...

I say go for it... it's not like I'll be there to see it.

Chaos

Is this true?

You my friend should never wear a speedo. "Irishdriver" as your handle does not qualify you as a european speedo wearer....just sayin...

You do not have the gold chain / lime green speedo look...you're not nearly hairy enough.

Is the tracking site up yet? Nothing is showing up for me.

Is this true?

Please don't because all the jokes I could make should not go out over a hot mike :blink:

Is this true?

Please don't because all the jokes I could make should not go out over a hot mike :blink:

You rock Tom! As it stands, my 3 Speedos are still at the dry cleaners, so no problema...

Thanks for the broadcast work you do T, we appreciate it!

ID :)

Is this true?

Think of the microphone as George P and it won't be hot at any moment. Good luck tomorrow!

I am missing the race for the first time in over a decade. I am truly sad.

Fair breeze and plenty of it to you all. It looks like plenty of spinnaker work. Enjoy the extremes... really hot days, freezing nights, and the killer biting flies spawned in the manitous.

Why isn't the link to cleans latest disaster not on the front page where you can find it?

I unfortunately have to miss this one. Last time I didn't do this race was 1988!!! BOO!!!

Good luck all....looks like a nice one. The Peerless would be lovin' it.

Be safe.

BT

With the tracking down at the event sight does anyone have updates on trophy and sport boat class? Some boats should still be in cell range.

Twister reported being off of Pentwater about an hour ago. 8 kts TWS from S, Boat speed 7 kts.

With the tracking down at the event sight does anyone have updates on trophy and sport boat class? Some boats should still be in cell range.

cleans latest disaster

Never had a reception like this. You can't tell from the vocal mike, but the place erupted! Thanks Chicago.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="300" width="400" id="clip_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" bgcolor="#000000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="auto_play=false&start_volume=25&title=Chicago Yacht Club Welcomes Sailing Anarchy&channel=onthewateranarchy&archive_id=290412249" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy#r=-rid-&s=em" class="trk" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width: 320px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv</a>

Full Skipper's Meeting and Weather Briefing from Chris Bedford:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="300" width="400" id="clip_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" bgcolor="#000000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="auto_play=false&start_volume=25&title=Skipper and Weather Briefing - 2011 CYC Race To Mackinac presented by Veuve Cliquot&channel=onthewateranarchy&archive_id=290368977" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy#r=-rid-&s=em" class="trk" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width: 320px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv</a>

Part 1 of Race Day - Parade Of Boats:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="300" width="400" id="clip_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" bgcolor="#000000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="auto_play=false&start_volume=25&title=LINE HONORS Coverage, Part 1: Parade Of Boats - 2011 CYC Race To Mackinac presented by Veuve Cliquot&channel=onthewateranarchy&archive_id=290412689" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy#r=-rid-&s=em" class="trk" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width: 320px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv</a>

The storm bearing down on the racecourse looks nassssssty. Looks like a rough night. Too bad there isn't a tracker to compare boat positions with the storms.....if the satellite could read the transponder through the mess. Hope it's a safe night out there on the water.

The storm bearing down on the racecourse looks nassssssty. Looks like a rough night. Too bad there isn't a tracker to compare boat positions with the storms.....if the satellite could read the transponder through the mess. Hope it's a safe night out there on the water.

FYI, the frequencies of the transponders are not significantly affected by rain unless it gets crazy hard. Do you get FM in your car when it rains? I do. I join with you in wishing everyone a safe evening/night.

Why isn't the link to cleans latest disaster not on the front page where you can find it?

Because it was brought to you by IonEarth, so it's broken?

From the Associated Press... CHARLEVOIX, Mich. (AP) - The U.S. Coast Guard says two people

are missing in northern Lake Michigan after a sailboat capsized the

Chicago-to-Mackinac Island sailboat race.

The Coast Guard says it was notified early Monday that the

sailboat Wing Nuts had capsized near the Fox islands, west of

Charlevoix, during the Chicago Yacht Club's annual Race to

Mackinac.

Crewmembers from the Sociable told the Coast Guard eight people

from Wing Nuts went into the water, and they recovered six.

Names of those involved weren't immediately released.

A 41-foot boat from Coast Guard Station Charlevoix, a helicopter

from Air Station Traverse City and the Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw

were involved in the search. The Coast Guard says 4- to 6-foot

waves were reported, and air and water temperatures were in the low

70s.

From the Associated Press... CHARLEVOIX, Mich. (AP) - The U.S. Coast Guard says two people

are missing in northern Lake Michigan after a sailboat capsized the

Chicago-to-Mackinac Island sailboat race.

The Coast Guard says it was notified early Monday that the

sailboat Wing Nuts had capsized near the Fox islands, west of

Charlevoix, during the Chicago Yacht Club's annual Race to

Mackinac.

Crewmembers from the Sociable told the Coast Guard eight people

from Wing Nuts went into the water, and they recovered six.

Names of those involved weren't immediately released.

A 41-foot boat from Coast Guard Station Charlevoix, a helicopter

from Air Station Traverse City and the Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw

were involved in the search. The Coast Guard says 4- to 6-foot

waves were reported, and air and water temperatures were in the low

70s.

KIWI 35 I remember commenting on how the boat was designed to fully utilize crew weight for righting moment. Hope the remaining two are found soon. Prayers for their safety

As of 6:30 this morning the 2 were still missing. They are all friends of mine from the Bay City Yacht Club. I don't want to say who is missing until confirmed and to respect the families. Hopefully they got picked up by another boat and they can't make contact yet. Please pray to whoever you pray to for these two fellow racers.

our prayer go out to the families and surviving crew.

We are still patiently waiting to see the results since 3 multihulls have not logged a finish yet, however there are a number of Monohulls stil out on the course as well.

We were watching the race progress until the tracking website went down, Damn.

International accolades, bitches.

Congrats on your win!

Also congrats to Tango for 2nd in the Mack Cup Div.

Distressing that douchebags like yourself make it all about yourself given the circumstances :(

Nice work dude. We gave it all we had, but couldn't close it down in the drifting to the finish. Wouldn't have caught you fellas anyhow.

Monday morning as we were approaching Gray's Reef we heard a frantic call from the multihull Zoom, which had apparently run aground "near a lighthouse" and cracked their centerboard box. Anyone know the rest of the story?

Monday morning as we were approaching Gray's Reef we heard a frantic call from the multihull Zoom, which had apparently run aground "near a lighthouse" and cracked their centerboard box. Anyone know the rest of the story?

I believe the race tracking is still unavailable/crashed.

I believe the race tracking is still unavailable/crashed.

Dude, that was sarcasm.

I hate to use the emoticons.

Somebody check the tracker.

I'll bet it was the Isle de Gaulets.

We heard the radio call too. Gave the lat/lon.

When the Coasties asked what lighthouse, he had to look it up on the chart - Whats up with that?

What were they doing over by "Skillagallee"?

We were wondering if they were 1) LOST; 2) sailing some wild angles, or 3)trying to cut the corner in the haze and fog?

When the Coasties asked what lighthouse, he had to look it up on the chart - Whats up with that?

We were wondering if they were 1) LOST; 2) sailing some wild angles, or 3)trying to cut the corner in the haze and fog?

We (Bad Dog) were thinking they may have lost situational awareness in the morning rain & fog and gone for the abandoned lighthouse east of Gray's. They kept saying they were in "Sturgeon Bay" (the one by Wilderness State Park in MI), so I'm not sure that Skillageewhillikers would fit the facts.

The "have to look it up on the chart" comment he made on the radio had us all thinking WTF? Even if you have to look up the name of the lighthouse you hit, why would you broadcast that you didn't know? He (understandably) sounded pretty stressed out about the situation.

I saw they got a DNF. I hope they made it to Charlevoix OK.

sheesh. I hope somebody is checked in with those guys by now. Skillagallee is on the edge of Sturgeon Bay so that part is legit. Maybe they thought they could surf over it. Multihulls draw little hey?

Motored past the abandoned Zoom up on the shoal at Ile aux Galets yesterday around 1500 while delivering south -- saw a pwc come out from the northeast to board and assess the situation.

Motored past the abandoned Zoom up on the shoal at Ile aux Galets yesterday around 1500 while delivering south -- saw a pwc come out from the northeast to board and assess the situation.

JFC.

Any pics?

JFC.

Any pics?

Sorry, no pics.

The tri was 200 to 250 yards WSW of Ile aux Galets proper sitting in 18" to 36" of water. The bows were facing west and the hulls themselves were sitting stern down making it look like there was a fair amount of water inside.

We had pretty steady breeze 15 to 25 from the SW through the day here in Traverse City, so if the boat hadn't been salvaged by noon today chances are that it may have broken apart by now.

JFC.

Any pics?

Sorry, no pics.

The tri was 200 to 250 yards WSW of Ile aux Galets proper sitting in 18" to 36" of water. The bows were facing west and the hulls themselves were sitting stern down making it look like there was a fair amount of water inside.

We had pretty steady breeze 15 to 25 from the SW through the day here in Traverse City, so if the boat hadn't been salvaged by noon today chances are that it may have broken apart by now.

Thanks for the extra info. Hate to see any boat (let alone a fast multi) abandoned to the elements. I hope they rescued it. :|

I cant believe there is no info on the Zoom story. Nobody knows those guys? How did they get off, who rescued them? Obviously we'd have heard if they perished. What's the scoop??

I can see laying low, very low, after hitting a reef you didn't realize was there, near a lighthouse you didn't know the name of till you referred to the chart, but...

Bottom line, we have to assume those guys are okay. I hope they are okay and checked in somewhere.

We heard the Coast Guard talking to Zoom on Monday morning. The skipper appeared to be a bit panicked saying he was taking on water. Another boat came on the radio saying that they were attempting to pull the boat off. Zoom's skipper later reported that the boat had stopped taking on water. As we motored by about 3 miles offshore we saw 2 tow boats standing off waiting to render assistance (salvage??) We were wondering what finally happened also? How much does a F-31 draw? Did he stop taking on water because he was on the bottom? It was foggy Monday morning and he certainly wouldn't be the first boat to run aground in that area. Hope everything is all right.

They were hauling out at Shepler's yesterday as we were. Didn't get many details (most I got seem to have been reiterated here) but boat and crew were ok.

I got a kick out of Clean's front page (there's a front page?) wrap up article.

In amongst all the info was an aside (and I'm quoting a bit of it) ... "we all make mistakes (though we can’t quite understand how anyone can think a MaxZ86 is a ‘canting keeler’)".

Um ... although I know that Windquest is a first generation Max Z86, newer boats to that class did have canting keels. Think Pyewacket and Morning Glory. I remember when the class asked Bill Lee to rewrite the Max Z86 rule to allow canting keels.

I'm not REALLY dissin' Clean, but the irony of commenting on bad research using bad research ain't lost on me ... ;)

Thanks for setting up on our end of the line and giving us all the face time man! :D

What was up with that? Wait. Inside joke here...

"Kramer you're fighting children!"

It really was a one-boat show in our section...

Wanted to thank Sailing Anarchy, Line Honors Performance Sailing Outfitters, J/Boats, and Latis Yachting Solutions for covering the start of the race, especially the multihull division. Even though we were too far down the line to get any face time.

You can download the videos using video "downloadhelper" and use "VLC" media player to take a snapshot of any frame to use as a picture ;)

Thanks for setting up on our end of the line and giving us all the face time man! :D

It took a little while for the PRO to remember that we were there and shooting live, but once she did, it was pretty good. Total views (not unique!) was 178,000 for 6 hours - not bad for no promotion and the first year. I hope we get to do it next year, and can promise that if we do, it'll be pretty damned killer. Thanks all for watching, and apologies for the folks that didn't get on screen for one reason or another...

Clean, we got on the screen and we got a chuckle out of the "gas masks falling down" comment. (J-105 start) Fortunately it did not take long to climb out of our hole. However with 5 to 10 minutes of air time between starts to fill may I suggest that you be a bit more prepared with some scripted material next time? Perhaps even have a scratch sheet handy so that you have an idea of which boats are in view. Maybe a bit more "play by play" as the boats are seeting up would help. Thanks again for the efforts.

mark

Clean, we got on the screen and we got a chuckle out of the "gas masks falling down" comment. (J-105 start) Fortunately it did not take long to climb out of our hole. However with 5 to 10 minutes of air time between starts to fill may I suggest that you be a bit more prepared with some scripted material next time? Perhaps even have a scratch sheet handy so that you have an idea of which boats are in view. Maybe a bit more "play by play" as the boats are seeting up would help. Thanks again for the efforts.

mark

I agree Mark, I started to FF through some of the coverage as I grew weary of the self promotion. We get it you're on SA and you are the shit... um that's how we got there. More about the race, competitors, whats going on on the water, anticipated weather etc is far more entertaining than a Mr Clean promo real. A reporter reports on the story and tries to not be the story.

Constructive criticism only, thanks for being out there. My folks got a kick out of seeing the start, to bad we won the pin and you were at the boat but you could see us take off in clean air.