Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bryanjb

Post your sailing pictures?

Polly and I went down to the boat last night to do a couple minor jobs but...... 10~15 knots, little chop, 80 degrees,,, we looked like Sunday sailors with dock lines and bumpers still on deck but it was either store everything or relax and enjoy the sail and a coldie.

lastevening.jpg

lastevening2.jpg

Looks like a great day! Mrs. Joli is very pretty. Dude, your helm is HUGE! Compensating for something? ;) Just kidding!

From last Saturday....sure beats being in the parking lot!!

post-25646-029972700 1308755483_thumb.jpg

Looks like a great day! Mrs. Joli is very pretty. Dude, your helm is HUGE! Compensating for something? ;) Just kidding!

Is it an optical illusion or do you have to reach though the wheel to operate the throttle/transmission shift levers?

maybe if you take a second look you'll notice his winches are too. :lol:;)

Last week:

My daughter Amanda on Jackdaw:

316aec6e.jpg

And Pia (with out dear friend Lori) on Kestrel:

22f9812c.jpg

The first shakedown of Brigadoon in November of 2010

IMG_6318.JPG

Kerry, fresh out of her sailing class, driving Brigadoon under sail in the Puget Sound.

IMG_7108.JPG

My beautiful Wife sailing SevenSundays for the first time in seven years. (I had thought we were motorsailing to charge the batteries, but she had slipped the tranny into neutral because she wanted to sail. Gotta Love her!)post-20201-036033800 1308997108_thumb.jpg

Greeve

The dog looks bored... tongue.gif

My beautiful Wife sailing SevenSundays for the first time in seven years. (I had thought we were motorsailing to charge the batteries, but she had slipped the tranny into neutral because she wanted to sail. Gotta Love her!)post-20201-036033800 1308997108_thumb.jpg

Are you keeping 7 Sundays at Torresons?

I didn't get a chance to look for the Sunfish sail over Memorial weekend. My folks are getting up there in age and Memorial has turned into a weekend of indentured servitude. I'll look for it over the 4th. It should be in the crawl at my GP's cottage.

I'll be up the 30th-5th.

Greeve

The dog looks bored... tongue.gif

That's possible. His name is Scruffy, and I think he prefers a slip instead of the mooring we currently have. He likes to bark at people that walk past his boat. :)

Are you keeping 7 Sundays at Torresons?

I didn't get a chance to look for the Sunfish sail over Memorial weekend. My folks are getting up there in age and Memorial has turned into a weekend of indentured servitude. I'll look for it over the 4th. It should be in the crawl at my GP's cottage.

I'll be up the 30th-5th.

That sounds cool. It would be fun to sail my Fish for the first time.

Yah, SevenSundays is at the mooring field in front of Torresen's. We will be out there on the 3rd and 4th of July. I'll PM you my number. We should go for a sail! (or at least have a beer!)

We should go for a sail! (or at least have a beer!)

You should sail up to Onekama for the weekend. It sounds like a raft party is brewing based on my FB chatter and the weather looks outstanding.

The fireworks in Manistee are usually pretty good and the water cops always pull us over, which provides a good Kodak moment.

Call Portage Point Inn and get a slip, or just anchor off for free if you want. I can check into setting you up with a RIB if you anchor.

If you see Brian at Torresens, say hello. He surveyed my first leadmine. Great guy.

Sailing pics - buddy of mine teaching a kid how to sail:

4776027461_7c2eabbc65_b.jpg

Looks like your winch might want to sit on a pad or something there, bl. Is that an overwrap starting, or just slack in the line?

BTW, your halyard reminds me a bit of one of my dock lines... The one that caused my friend Kley to ask me, "You mean this rotted thing?" when I asked him to grab it. :P

BL- Your boat presents an illusion that it's much bigger than it is. That's pretty cool.

Tom, no overwrap, just no tension between the clutch and the winch. Yeah, the halyards are ugly but still in good shape, probably thanks to seasonal freshwater use and no washing.

Ajax, yeah, she is a big little boat.

Weekend sail with the brothers aboard. A beer, a rum and get to know the boat a little better (check stays and daysailing don't yet seem to mix well).

post-7963-088332600 1310068180_thumb.jpg

4-5am in the Gulf of Maine, the breeze is justing picking up.

5915645438_5c0a8e228f_b.jpg

A little later being driven by, "Mr. Happy", the wind-vane. Artwork supplied by my 13yr old daughter.

5915084645_bf556d75fb_b.jpg

Why is there a notch in the dinghy transom?

That's a sculling notch. Possibly a lost art. It wasn't standard on my Dyer, but of course they knew what it was, they're pretty salty folk.

Duplicate pic that's gonna be in a thread I'll start a little later, but this was last Friday on the sister ship at the club. Owner was kind enough to lend me his boat so I could take my cousin (the "other" sailor in our generation) sailing while he was here visiting from France..

I gotta say, I'm not an especially big fan of Toronto, but it's one hell of a pretty city when viewed from the water.

post-48404-071532900 1310390844_thumb.jpg

And yes, I know the jib wasn't trimmed properly in this shot - shortly after we moved the jib cars to lower the foot and really got the boat to light up ;)

Nice shot, Poda. Funny how just about any photo is improved by a bit of sailboat rigging in the foreground.

We should have a rule in CA that we don't have to apologize for sail trim in the photos. We're cruising dammit and that means we don't have to trim the sails unless we want to. In these cases "less than perfect" is my goal, and many say I've achieved it.

Nice shot, Poda. Funny how just about any photo is improved by a bit of sailboat rigging in the foreground.

We should have a rule in CA that we don't have to apologize for sail trim in the photos. We're cruising dammit and that means we don't have to trim the sails unless we want to. In these cases "less than perfect" is my goal, and many say I've achieved it.

That's a good point Valis - from here on out I refuse to apologize for my sail trim in pics in non-racing threads :D

Sailboat rigging makes everything better..

That's a sculling notch. Possibly a lost art. It wasn't standard on my Dyer, but of course they knew what it was, they're pretty salty folk.

That makes sense. I thought it might have to do with resting spars until I saw the pic with a rest on the other side.

Do you actually use it? I'd go with sailing mode, rowing mode, and outboard mode first. Do you really go 4th mode? You can PM me the answer if it's embarrassing. ;)

That makes sense. I thought it might have to do with resting spars until I saw the pic with a rest on the other side.

Do you actually use it? I'd go with sailing mode, rowing mode, and outboard mode first. Do you really go 4th mode? You can PM me the answer if it's embarrassing. ;)

No, I've only goofed around with it. It's a fun skill to practice and then lord over less salty types. tongue.gif I have also never used the motor mount, and even asked the yard to remove it at one point but they couldn't bring themselves to do it. My daughter loves to sail with me in the dinghy now, and I enjoy rowing.

I spent an afternoon patching my poor woebegone blown out sails. Can you believe the previous owner duct taped the batten pockets? I added some tell-tales then went sailing. When I got to the boat the wind was blowing 0-none but as we left the basin it picked up and eventually blew 15-18. We had a great sail for an hour or two and I finally got to see what the boat would do in more than 5 knots of wind. It seems the Cal 20 really comes into its own in winds above 15 knots or so. We sailed against another well prepped Cal 20 and seemed to hold our own except for on the wind where the other boat's newer sails made a big difference. New sails are in the works (with the correct sail numbers even!) Also finally got a decent pic of the boat under way. The wind was about 8-10 at the time.

post-25831-058125600 1310404896_thumb.jpg

i built a d4 dingy and used a scull for a few years. i did ok with it but never became really proficient.

I spent an afternoon patching my poor woebegone blown out sails. Can you believe the previous owner duct taped the batten pockets?

You're not supposed to put tape on old sails as needed? :huh:

I spent an afternoon patching my poor woebegone blown out sails. Can you believe the previous owner duct taped the batten pockets?

You're not supposed to put tape on old sails as needed? :huh:

Well, only scotch tape or electrical tape...

Great thread and pics everyone! : ) Doesn't matter what kind of boat, as long as someone is enjoying trying to capture some wind in a sail.

Jose, nice pic of your boat underway. Austin, adorable photo of the little boy helming. Joli, I don't think I've seen a photo of your better half when she isn't smiling and looking beautiful on a boat. I like the the light in Hard Aground's first pic.

Here's one from a couple weeks ago, enjoying some blue water sailing on CL's boat, Sparky.

post-15704-020238400 1310478307_thumb.jpg

Evidence that I do indeed wear something other than jeans:

post-4713-044045500 1310522111_thumb.jpg

Evidence that I do indeed wear something other than jeans:

post-4713-044045500 1310522111_thumb.jpg

Nice. You steal them off a drunk golfer or something?

JD it's time to leave your little islands behind and head to Marquette!

p.s. there is good anchoring in the harbor but I also have my old mooring you can use too.

motoring on brazilian valentine's day (june 12th)(approx 30°S/51°W)

post-6214-051355900 1312258625_thumb.jpg

This might be cheating cos we chartered it,and it was last year. The gaff rig and the topsail took a bit of getting used to, but it was a beautiful boat and a genuine privilege to sail on.

post-488-032042000 1310675474_thumb.jpg

B) This looks like an amazing boat to sail on. Cool photo. I don't see any "cheating" involved. Whatever works for folks to get out and go sailing ....charters, co-ops (I learned tons by joining a co-op for a few years), owned or co-owned.

Here is a pic from last month. Underway from Bermuda heading back to Newport, R.I., on CL's lovely boat

post-15704-033223900 1312262331_thumb.jpg

JD it's time to leave your little islands behind and head to Marquette!

p.s. there is good anchoring in the harbor but I also have my old mooring you can use too.

Planning..... ;^)

Many of you have asked what kind of boat I sail and I finally took a pic of it today.

It's an Albin Cirus 7.8 designed by Peter Norlin.

We brought it up to our mooring ball this morning from it's new slip.

Jill, my wife, is giving it a good scrubbing.

It is your standard 5kt SB but it's my 5kt SB and I like it.

post-2980-048223700 1312320462_thumb.jpg

Chester:

Yes, I ws thinking just the same thing as I looked at the boat from my deck, i.e. kind of like a small Mirage.

It was built in Sweden.

KDH: minimalism for me is what cruising is all about. I have the shit I need at home and then some. When I go off on the boat I want to do it like the old guys do it.

I want to prove to myself that I can do it the way they did it.

The only things I take that LFH didn't take is a knotmeter, vhf and a portable stereo.

Oh yeah and my tillermaster auto pilot.

Maybe I can't do it like they did it.

Oh well.

Many of you have asked what kind of boat I sail and I finally took a pic of it today.

The sheer looks sweet in that picture, but your mooring seems REALLY close to shore. :unsure:

What is the draft of your boat?

Finally a string of nice days in Seattle.post-23834-071967600 1312247044_thumb.jpg

Is that an original factory C and C main? I may have found somebody with an older sail than me.

Greevs:

It's pretty much low tide when that pic was taken and my mooring at that tide would be in about 35' of water, considering it was a low, low tide. My boat draws 5'.

We have a very steep drop off on our beach. You guys from the skinny water areas would have to see it to believe it.

Most of the time I'll be in about 50' of water on the mooring.

I have sailed the 70' MERIDIAN drawing 12' down the beach, chute up, inside the mooring balls. I have the pic to prove it but it is not digital.

Hell, we get grey whales cruising the beach inside the balls.

Greevs:

It's pretty much low tide when that pic was taken and my mooring at that tide would be in about 35' of water, considering it was a low, low tide. My boat draws 5'.

We have a very steep drop off on our beach. You guys from the skinny water areas would have to see it to believe it.

Most of the time I'll be in about 50' of water on the mooring.

I have sailed the 70' MERIDIAN drawing 12' down the beach, chute up, inside the mooring balls. I have the pic to prove it but it is not digital.

I can remember seeing 200' 2 boat lengths from shore in the gulf islands and being amazed. Puget Sound spring tides are greater than the average depth of the Chesapeake.

I like it Bob. And I'm a sucker for tall fractional rigs.

Smuggler Cove, Texada Island in the distance.

That is one fantastic photo. Very nice. Beautiful area.

I'm biased and I think the Pacific Northwest coast is a very special place. Wild, lush, green and peaceful is all a stone's throw away. I spent three days this weekend over on Vancouver Island. Sailing in Cow Bay, B & B'ing (broiled ruby red grapefruit with maple syrup & cinnamon is very yum) and enjoyed the valley farmlands and driving the Malahat .

post-15704-044396300 1312349948_thumb.jpg

Wow, I like that. It has a sporty look to it. That rig is plenty taller than my Coronado, even as a fractional rig you must carry a good bit more sail than I do, nearly 2 more feet of waterline as well, I'll bet she really scoots.

Ajax:

Yes, I agree with you the rig does look tall. But in fact the SA/D is on the low side and the boat is a wee bit sluggish in the light stuff. My 9 hp Volvo saildrive pushes me along at 5 knots, 5.5 tops, when the wind is light. In the ten or so years I have owned the boat I have never reefed it. I carry a 95% jib and a 110% jib. I've never actually measured them but I think that's what they are. The boat is at it's best in a breeze.

Finally a string of nice days in Seattle.post-23834-071967600 1312247044_thumb.jpg

Is that an original factory C and C main? I may have found somebody with an older sail than me.

1991 A-1 original C&C main! You should see my genny! Vertical panels! Scott Rush took one look at it and almost puked! :lol:

Whales inside your balls? You are more of a badass than I thought, Bob.

The "other side" of sailing and being out there...

My buddy, initially, having a grand old time seeing the city in a way he'd never seen it before, despite having lived here all his life. Not a bad pic, even if I do say so myself..

post-48404-054430600 1312395453_thumb.jpg

Then 20 mins later, he spent the rest of the trip and subsequent hour heading in like this, dry heaving over the transom..

post-48404-081553900 1312395495_thumb.jpg

No amount of coaxing could get him to look up at the horizon.. I've heard of looking "green", but it was surreal how much worse for wear he looked.

Whales inside your balls? You are more of a badass than I thought, Bob.

I've heard of "swimmers" before, but whales? Truly amazing.

Damn Poda. It looks like a pretty calm day? Do you think your friend will ever want to sail with you again? :rolleyes:

Just didn't agree with him I guess.. He's been on cruise ships and larger ferries, but I guess a tender 24 footer in long systemic 4-6 foot waves was too much for him. He says he's willing to try again, maybe next year, as long as I stick closer to shore, but odds, knowing him, that this will have been the only time he'll set foot on the boat.

The wife and child LOVED it though, as per usual..

"R" Boat Lady Van in English Bay. Will be racing against Pirate and Aloha again in 2 weeks. Who was it that said "in match racing, it's not over until the start" :D

post-5483-088764500 1312398018_thumb.jpg

post-5483-050633400 1312398013_thumb.jpg

post-5483-085262400 1312398016_thumb.jpg

post-5483-044643200 1312398023_thumb.jpg This good pic was taken by BoomBoom Varoom.

The "other side" of sailing and being out there...

My buddy, initially, having a grand old time seeing the city in a way he'd never seen it before, despite having lived here all his life. Not a bad pic, even if I do say so myself..

post-48404-054430600 1312395453_thumb.jpg

Then 20 mins later, he spent the rest of the trip and subsequent hour heading in like this, dry heaving over the transom..

post-48404-081553900 1312395495_thumb.jpg

No amount of coaxing could get him to look up at the horizon.. I've heard of looking "green", but it was surreal how much worse for wear he looked.

Pretty calm seas too. Try him on the Dramamine. Worked for me.