• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
opusone

Ker 43 Ptarmigan

The kites are on the loft floor at Q Newport for a tickle and sail number change.

Q it is then. Welcome to the family! haha

Goodbye USA 79, hello USA 61137!

I thought it might be best to put Otra Vez in the proper thread....here she is with the topsides primed. The "teal" base color is going on tomorrow.

post-7277-0-62179000-1385084067_thumb.jpg

3 coats of teal (awlcraft 2000)...the topsides will be sanded, the graphics added and then 5 coats of clearcoat....

Congratulations on your purchase. What are your plans for the keel?

I see you are heading east for KWRW - what are the chances of seeing you on the west coast for 2015 Transpac - come play with us, Criminal Mishchief, Crocket's Rocket, Katana, etc.

Cheers,

opusone

On the keel just fixing a few dings from the trip, making sure the foil is symmetric, and then the new bottom paint.

After KWRW, she is heading south for the Heineken, etc. Not sure where she will end up for the summer.

Bill

3 coats of teal (awlcraft 2000)...the topsides will be sanded, the graphics added and then 5 coats of clearcoat....

Crikey! How much does all that paint weigh!
Was wondering about that as well! 5 coats of clear seems a little excessive, has the painter got shares in Akzo Nobel? ;)

Crikey! How much does all that paint weigh!
Was wondering about that as well! 5 coats of clear seems a little excessive, has the painter got shares in Akzo Nobel? ;)

Maybe they just want it really really clear?

How much does the "paint weigh"? By our calcs (very approximate), about 30 lbs. I have a strong dislike for orange peel, ridges, and stickers. We will wetsand the topsides with 800 grit, spray the graphics, name, etc., then clearcoat and sand so we have a perfectly smooth finish.

We will also respray the clearcoat on the boom and touch up the mast and all the other carbon bits on the boat as needed.

The first coat of the VC Offshore went on the rudder and bottom today.

Bill

post-7277-0-40012300-1385242509_thumb.jpg

post-7277-0-41629800-1385242533_thumb.jpg

30 lbs is pretty hefty when you start choosing hardware that only shaves ozs. off the program.

Good looking yacht though, you should have a blast with it.

I thought it might be best to put Otra Vez in the proper thread....here she is with the topsides primed. The "teal" base color is going on tomorrow.

What yard is that? The shed is clean and such, but that staging/planking makes me queasy....

30 lbs is pretty hefty when you start choosing hardware that only shaves ozs. off the program.

30 lbs. as a percentage of the boat weight means less than whether or not each crew over packed their day bag by 3 pounds. Or visited the head before stepping aboard. Or having a spare kite halyard up the mast...

Hope these new guys enjoy sailing this powerful yacht, it is amazing !

30 lbs. as a percentage of the boat weight means less than whether or not each crew over packed their day bag by 3 pounds. Or visited the head before stepping aboard. Or having a spare kite halyard up the mast...

Exactly. A lot!

On the keel just fixing a few dings from the trip, making sure the foil is symmetric, and then the new bottom paint.

After KWRW, she is heading south for the Heineken, etc. Not sure where she will end up for the summer.

Bill

Bill -

She is really shaping up - keep the photos of her progress coming.

Here is a little video from our trip to Hawaii - this is similar to what you will be experiencing shortly.

we are sailing a little too fat here - but you get the idea.....

Cheers,

opusone

Exactly. A lot!

Who the hell over packs a day bag by 3 pounds? Not having a crap is fine, it's shiftable ballast. What's a 'spare' kite halyard?

I have gone through a yacht cutting down the bolts to save 10 pounds, so yes, to me 30 pounds is a lot.

But it's #200's baby, and if that's what he wants it's cool with me.

She does look great and definately has a wow factor. Rock and roll #200!

We are getting ready to shoot the graphics and her name. The bow and "Otra Vez" will be in white. With some luck, it will be ready for the clear coat by the end of the day tomorrow.

Opusone, that was a great video.

Bill

post-7277-0-54593500-1385508756_thumb.jpg

post-7277-0-56793900-1385508771_thumb.jpg

Exactly. A lot!

Who the hell over packs a day bag by 3 pounds? Not having a crap is fine, it's shiftable ballast. What's a 'spare' kite halyard?

I have gone through a yacht cutting down the bolts to save 10 pounds, so yes, to me 30 pounds is a lot.

30 pounds on that boat might make the difference between 1st and 2nd once in the next 20 years. Meanwhile they can take pride looking at the boat every day. They can still cut bolts. Boomerang refused to feed their crew freeze dried food and they still did ok.

Exactly. A lot!

30 pounds on that boat might make the difference between 1st and 2nd once in the next 20 years. Meanwhile they can take pride looking at the boat every day. They can still cut bolts. Boomerang refused to feed their crew freeze dried food and they still did ok.

I suppose you don't really notice an extra 30 pounds on your average cougar.

All that's left is the clear coat for the top sides. Bottom is being wet sanded today by hand with all the motion along the direction of flow.

post-7277-0-80716500-1385752104_thumb.jpg

Another shot of her pre-clear coat.

I wetsanded a small part of the rudder today, 400...800...2000. There seem to be many opinions on where to stop. Is 600 grit enough? I have always gone to 1500 on my other boats. The paint is VC offshore.

Bill

post-7277-0-40667500-1385837352_thumb.jpg

post-7277-0-45648200-1385837385_thumb.jpg

its cool, but FUGLY

I guess perfect ultra light air conditions for her so far this week.

You need your fuggin eyes checked newbie!

That's sex on a stik!!!

P1000033_620.jpg

+1

Bronze wool.

Haven't seen bronze wool, we use 000 steel wool.

Boats looking awesome #200.

I don't know where you'd get it down there. They sell it at the big hardware stores here (Lowes, Home Depot, etc...)

The downside of using steel wool is that you get microscopic steel particles imbedded in your bottom paint with some later pore rusting going on - bronze wool also does a better burnishing job. Try Barnes (store or web), I think they probably still carry bronze wool

Bronze wool.

Damn.... Nice work! The black and red was a cool color combo but executed poorly in my humble opinion. Did you use high build and fair prior to the 545?

The downside of using steel wool is that you get microscopic steel particles imbedded in your bottom paint with some later pore rusting going on - bronze wool also does a better burnishing job. Try Barnes (store or web), I think they probably still carry bronze wool

Bronze wool.

Agreed

The last f*king thing you need anywhere near a boat is wirewool, unless you have a love of tiny rust spots, in the hundreds.

The topsides paint had a significant amount of orange peel and a few pretty serious "dimples" that were very visible. We sanded off the clearcoat and most of the black paint, fixed and faired the topsides, sanded it all smooth, then primed her, then on with the topcoat. All the topcoat has been sanded with 800 grit and we will shoot 4-5 coats of clear to cover everything. Then it will be color sanded to get a perfectly smooth finish.

For the bottom, the clearcoat over the durapox was peeled (and i mean that literally, it came off in sheets). We inked the bottom, longboarded her, fixed a few areas with Interprotect 2000E, sanded it all, sprayed on 5 coats of VC offshore, and are wetsanding it to 1200 as I type this.

Bill

Bronze wool.

Agreed

The last f*king thing you need anywhere near a boat is wirewool, unless you have a love of tiny rust spots, in the hundreds.

Will have a better look next time in need some.

Mad, that reminds me of a time when I was much younger and so enthusiastically took to under deck bolts with a grinder, once........

The topsides paint had a significant amount of orange peel and a few pretty serious "dimples" that were very visible. We sanded off the clearcoat and most of the black paint, fixed and faired the topsides, sanded it all smooth, then primed her, then on with the topcoat. All the topcoat has been sanded with 800 grit and we will shoot 4-5 coats of clear to cover everything. Then it will be color sanded to get a perfectly smooth finish.

For the bottom, the clearcoat over the durapox was peeled (and i mean that literally, it came off in sheets). We inked the bottom, longboarded her, fixed a few areas with Interprotect 2000E, sanded it all, sprayed on 5 coats of VC offshore, and are wetsanding it to 1200 as I type this.

Bill

Are you sure the painter doesn't have shares in Akzo? Or at least the supplier or yard?

WTF is the bottom getting clear coat??

How's the deck paint coming on?

The bottom had clear coat over the Durepox? Interesting.

A shitload of $$$ pissed away on both wasted time and materials, whichever way you look at it.

Bronze wool.

Agreed

Will have a better look next time in need some.

Mad, that reminds me of a time when I was much younger and so enthusiastically took to under deck bolts with a grinder, once........

Saw it first when a load of very fine steel dust/grindings landed on a load of decks a long time ago.

Cost the contracter a fortune for the cleean up.

The bottom had clear coat over the Durepox? Interesting.

A shitload of $$$ pissed away on both wasted time and materials, whichever way you look at it.

+1

Removed the clear coat from the keel, fixed the dings to the trailing edge and bulb, interprotect 2000e, and tomorrow vc offshore....and wet sanding the rudder to 1200.

Shipping to Fort Lauderdale on the 16th and keel on and the rig in by the 22nd with some luck.

Bill

post-7277-0-21894100-1386271934_thumb.jpg

post-7277-0-70799300-1386271951_thumb.jpg

Removed the clear coat from the keel, fixed the dings to the trailing edge and bulb, interprotect 2000e, and tomorrow vc offshore....and wet sanding the rudder to 1200.

Shipping to Fort Lauderdale on the 16th and keel on and the rig in by the 22nd with some luck.

Bill

Why the clear coat on the keel?

Almost finished....

Boat looks good. But why would you exactly copy the Quantum Racing paint job, even down to the colors? Then switch the entire boats sail inventory from Quantum to north? Hope you have assembled a good crew. that is a lot of boat.

Almost finished....

Boat looks good. But why would you exactly copy the Quantum Racing paint job, even down to the colors? Then switch the entire boats sail inventory from Quantum to north? Hope you have assembled a good crew. that is a lot of boat.

I don't know what you are on, but can you spare some?

A few more photos of the work in progress....

As for the "why clear coat the durapox", no idea , it's just how she was when I bought her 4 weeks ago.

And the "quantum" comment is a good one. The awlgrip teal base color is a carry over from the J122, as is the style of the lettering for Otra Vez. The white ripped look was inspired by the quantum tp52, which I think is a beautiful boat.

The team has been racing together for 5 years and we have a great mix of sailors, some pro, some amateur, and I enjoy spending time with each and every one of them. There is no doubt we have a steep curve to climb, but that's why I bought her.

Our motto has always been, have fun...look good...place well

And I can't wait to get her in the water and go sailing!!!

Bill

post-7277-0-69762500-1386285864_thumb.jpg

post-7277-0-26876500-1386286046_thumb.jpg

The whole boat was originally finished off in clear coat - including the bottom and foils. Why? For a dry sailed boat we felt that was the way to go. Regretted not ending it at the waterline soon enough though....

Almost finished....

Maybe it's not what I have, but what you're missing.

I said the boat looks great. Love the teal color. Just asking about the reasoning behind the design.

Almost finished....

I said the boat looks great. Love the teal color. Just asking about the reasoning behind the design.

Yeah, I am missing the bit where this boat has "exactly copy Quantum Racing paint job, even down to the colors?"

Nothing like it!

Now to touch up the deck....

Bill -

Boat looks fantastic! cannot wait to see some video of you guys flying....

Cheers,

opusone

ps - seems like a great Christmas Present. My wife says I have had all my Christmas, Birthday and Anniversary gifts for the rest of my life - or at least until she gets her patio cover.....

Almost finished....

Yeah, I am missing the bit where this boat has "exactly copy Quantum Racing paint job, even down to the colors?"

Nothing like it!

post-3479-0-49598000-1386538111_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but it looks very very similar to me. The splash even appears to have close to the same number of strands with an indent and three retreating on the bottom of the splash. Then the placement of the name and the large O and the large Q add another similarity. No big deal, just saying.

Sorry, but it looks very very similar to me. The splash even appears to have close to the same number of strands with an indent and three retreating on the bottom of the splash. Then the placement of the name and the large O and the large Q add another similarity. No big deal, just saying.

Dude-Read the whole thread. It clearly says that the entire job was inspired by the Q 52, which he thinks is a good looking boat. And he's right.

Almost finished....

Nothing like it!

Dude, this is what I was referring to the "Nothing like it" part. I get the inspired by the Q TP52 part and I'm in full agreement, it looks great, this boat looks great. And yes I understand the colors are different.

Geez dude, who cares?

Geez dude, who cares?

Good point. Boat looks freaking awesome! KWRW still the plan??

Schedule at the moment...

Dec 16th on the truck to Dania Cut Shipyard...

KWRW...then to St Thomas on Sevenstar

St. Maarten Heineken Regatta. March 6-9

Voiles de St. Barths, April 14th-19

Then to Newport for NYYC Annual Regatta and then we will see...

Our new sails are focused on W/L racing, with the North 3Di Main and Jibs, as well as a larger A2 (225m2) arriving this week. Lets hope our IRC modeling is not too far off (maybe a 1.259 versus the 1.255 we have now)...the boat has an extensive and quite good inventory of Q sails which will get a workout in the Caribbean regattas.

Someone had asked a crew question, as I noted in an earlier post, we have a mix of pro's and amateurs. For KWRW there will be 5 group 3's on board, most of whom raced on the 122 program in 2010/2011.

Bill

Ah. Yeah, be ok then at high tide.

Dredged the pit and the cutoff canal, so plenty of water even at low tide. Just watch out for the sunken car/pipe/piece of metal on the way out... we draw about 11 ft and launched at mid tide a week ago with no problem

Ah. Yeah, be ok then at high tide.

Dredged the pit and the cutoff canal, so plenty of water even at low tide. Just watch out for the sunken car/pipe/piece of metal on the way out... we draw about 11 ft and launched at mid tide a week ago with no problem

Good to hear. Needed it in the canal.

Thanks for sharing the progress on your new boat with all of us. It looks like a dream and should be great fun. We are vicariuosly enjoying your project and envy you but in a good way! Many owners could've said, "Why wade into that SA swamp" but you stepped up anyway. I and many others appreciate it.

Bill,

Where is home for Otra Vez? It seems she is in the Galveston Bay area now? Will she ever sail here? Can she with that draft? I take it you had the J/122 at Lakewood that just sold.

Funny to see her in GB now. Ptarmigan was on the hard next to our boat in Naptown when we bought her in 2011.