opusone

Ker 43 Ptarmigan

#200, love the pictures, thanks for sharing. Not sure why people feel the need to comment on every pound of paint. Good luck with the new boat.

Did you see the pictures that you took of your IC?

I saw the boat after a clear coat. Looks great. Great affect. Can't wait to see it on the water. Bill are you going w/North?

New Jibs, New Main all 3Di, New A2 at 225m2 versus the 210 m2 previously. All North obviously.

Bill

The inside of the trailer....went through all the sails at the loft. Found the A3 is made of Mylar with a light tafetta, I have never seen an AP kite built like this....

post-7277-0-76664200-1387046352_thumb.jpg

The inside of the trailer....went through all the sails at the loft. Found the A3 is made of Mylar with a light tafetta, I have never seen an AP kite built like this....

A3 is a reacher.

I have bought many Q kites in the past, never seen one quite like this. Overall, the sails are in surprisingly good shape. The amount of "kit" that came with this boat is really amazing.

It looks like the ker 46 cape fling that I also looked at has been sold. Another nice boat.

I have bought many Q kites in the past, never seen one quite like this. Overall, the sails are in surprisingly good shape. The amount of "kit" that came with this boat is really amazing.

It looks like the ker 46 cape fling that I also looked at has been sold. Another nice boat.

It's made out of DImension Polyant CZ material. All A0's and some of the bigger boat A3's are made from it.

New Jibs, New Main all 3Di, New A2 at 225m2 versus the 210 m2 previously. All North obviously.

Bill

Whoever owns a boat with similar rig dimensions should try and buy the sails that came with the boat from this guy, they were in beautiful condition ! Even the wednesday night practice sails looked great. The JT, FR-0, MH-0 were as-new and the jibs were pretty damn solid too. Just a trailer load of great sails with that boat.

Its looking good #200 !

Home....

WTF! Where do you hang the BBQ? I could never slip this one past the wife.

Home....

Where do you hang the slow cooked pulled pig?

Because that's what fucking BBQ is. A thing you cook on is a fucking grill.

Home....

Easy Johnnie Reb. Up here they are bbqs also. And I never head Crocodile Dundee say 'throw another shrimp on the fucking grill'

Home....

Easy Johnnie Reb. Up here they are bbqs also. And I never head Crocodile Dundee say 'throw another shrimp on the fucking grill'

Here's the fucking grill. Dog knows this one well.

post-41-0-59733200-1387238112_thumb.jpg

Home....

Here's the fucking grill. Dog knows this one well.

Nice!

Home....

But it would have been totally awesome if he did!

Not sure how we got into "shrimping" mode, but here is the revised IRC cert with the new main, jib, and 15sqm of extra kite. Overall a hit of 0.006, so we sit at 1.261 and we will have to hope the sail designers have got it right!!!

Was playing with the HPR rating sheet the other day and for the same changes the hit was almost exactly the same (0.006-0.007). In the end for IRC the Carkeeks owe us about 0.01 (they are roughly 1.270-1.274) and in HPR we are effectively level.

Bill

38293 OTRA VEZ 131217_110929 END.pdf

Bill, nice cert. watch out for the carkeeks under both systems. Trying to catch spookie in irc has been a hate mission since day 1.

More sail area would help though.

The results and the anecdotal feedback from those who have sailed her is that she is extremely good in light air (6-10TWS). The sail area we have added is playing to her strengths and will hopefully extend another 2-3 knots of TWS to the envelope where she sails at or above her rating.

Bill

Ptarm was tough for us on the Decision in <8 knots of breeze, but she didn't really have a chance in much more as I remember it. And with Troll and Bora and Benj spending days and days doing nothing but making her faster, Spookie's development has really, really upped the ante on the C40's speed. Hate mission indeed.

Still the OV looks sexy as. Great job. #200 if you'll send in a paragraph or two we'd love to feature her on the FP.

clean@sailinganarchy.com

On the road to Florida.....

Where in Florida will it be unloaded?

Hope she is headed for Lauderdale Marine Center

On the road to Florida.....

Where in Florida will it be unloaded?

Hope she is headed for Lauderdale Marine Center

LMC is a good joint.

Sorry if has been posted above, but the major changes are?

-Bigger sails

-Bigger bulb

-Bigger sprit

or do i have that wrong. is there anything else?

Awesome pics and thanks for sharing your program! Bad ass boat, looking forward to watching your reports.

Need a Marina in Palm Beach for Otra Vez that can handle her 9.2 ft draft. She will head to Palm Beach right after KWRW and be picked up by Sevenstar for the trip the St. Thomas around Feb 14th.

Any recommendations.

Bill

Second vote for Cracker Boy, however getting in the slip can be ahem...sporty! But you will find most of the major race teams with 40' and above base out of there when down South, good people.

Cracker boy in PB is the winter home for Catapult. They take good care of us. Seems all the big boats are there since derectors stopped welcoming sailboats a bunch of years ago

Sorry if has been posted above, but the major changes are?

-Bigger sails

-Bigger bulb

-Bigger sprit

or do i have that wrong. is there anything else?

A shitload of paint :rolleyes:

Clean, I don't think they changed any boat dimensions. Just the sails.

Need a Marina in Palm Beach for Otra Vez that can handle her 9.2 ft draft. She will head to Palm Beach right after KWRW and be picked up by Sevenstar for the trip the St. Thomas around Feb 14th.

Any recommendations.

Bill

Cracker Boy

Thanks for all the recommendations for Palm Beach.

Otra Vez arrived at Dania Cut around 11am, and is being unloaded as I type this. The Davids are on site and will be working around the clock for the next few days to get her ready so they can be home for Christmas.

She will be launched just after the New Year and with some luck be in KW a little more than a week before the regatta. As we have zero time in the boat, we (the crew) will be getting to Key West on the 15th and try to get in 5 days of sailing before the regatta.

There have been a few queries about the bowsprit length. The STL on OV is 7.60 meters( as compared the 7.50 meters on the Ker 46) which facilitated adding 7% to the DW area.

I will add photos as I get them.

Happy Holidays,

Bill

post-7277-0-74380100-1387472416_thumb.jpg

Cracker Boy is the yard of choice but be prepared for overspray, welding sparks, dust, dirt, rocks, aliens...

Talk to the boys aboard Cool Breeze who had their boat unloaded and assembled at Cracker Boy. Not happy campers.

Cool Breeze docks at Palm Harbor in West Palm (my neighbor). Hang out there until its time to load.

She splashed this morning around 9 am. If you want to see the difference in design philosophy between Ker and Carkeek, I think this photo speaks volumes.

I am fortunate to have a great team prepping the boat. The effort and attention to detail has been substantial. The only excuse we can have is that we sailed her poorly.

Looking forward to a great regatta.

Bill

PS Our new kites have the integral banding velcros from North, it will be interesting to see how they work.

post-7277-0-26506000-1389457962_thumb.jpg

wow #200 , impressive. i need your job. good luck , and please keep us updated. videos preferrably.

Our new kites have the integral banding velcros from North, it will be interesting to see how they work.

Any chance you could share some pics of these and a bit of a rundown on how they work when you're able thanks?

Latest report....easy night...sailing with the TP52 sled most of the evening (she is in the foreground of the picture)...KW sea bouy in a few hours.

post-7277-0-21136700-1389621621_thumb.jpg

Our new kites have the integral banding velcros from North, it will be interesting to see how they work.

Any chance you could share some pics of these and a bit of a rundown on how they work when you're able thanks?

Yes please!

Those are some damn nice delivery sails, #200

Just a function of the current state of the sail inventory, we have 3 mainsails and many many jibs. It wouldn't make any sense (to me at least) to build "new" delivery sails at this point in the program.

Bill, I enjoyed sailing with you on the 122. Good luck with the new OV. Looks great.

A few photos from the Galleon in KW....an easy ride according to the delivery team.

The trailer and the new sails are arriving tomorrow. Lots of fun ahead.

Bill

post-7277-0-73902700-1389657116_thumb.jpg

post-7277-0-35802800-1389657128_thumb.jpg

A few photos from the Galleon in KW....an easy ride according to the delivery team.

Bill

Looking good Bill, those new lifeline pads look comfortable. Has there always been 2 bitch/pit winches or did you add one?

Will be following KWRW closely.

If you run into anyone from Team True down there, a few of them sailed and were around the boat in Holland MI and might be able to add some knowledge on sails and such.

Bill

Looking good Bill, those new lifeline pads look comfortable. Has there always been 2 bitch/pit winches or did you add one?

No change to the pit winch configuration. One is driven from the pedestal (starboard winch) one is not. Arriving in KW tommorrow, can't wait to see her in the water.

Bill

Bill

No change to the pit winch configuration. One is driven from the pedestal (starboard winch) one is not. Arriving in KW tommorrow, can't wait to see her in the water.

Bill

Bill - tell us your thoughts after Key West. Did you have fun?

How did she perform on the water?

Cheers,

opusone

Overall impression of the boat: Wow!

This was my first time to Key West, and my major impression of the town, even during the regatta is that it wasn't very busy.

We had set some goals for the week, improve every day, win at least one race, and beat Tonnerre boat for boat at least once. Given that we had not sailed together as a team since March 2011 and that a week ago Friday (the 17th) was the first time we sailed Otra Vez these were reasonably ambitious goals. By the end of the week we had achieved them all, although losing the last race by 2 seconds, spoiled a near perfect Friday. We all finished the week excited, happy and wowed by the boat, but also realizing we have to make great strides in our boat handling and crew work to reach our full potential. The one thing we wont do is make any significant changes to the boat. We need to sail her more, understand her modes, and then we will see.

The conditions for the week went from very light on Monday, to rain squall central, to perfect, to breezy, with a bit of chill added in. The first race on Monday was in very light (3-5 knot) conditions and we finished dead last by a LOT. Given the light air pedigree of the boat this was a bit surprising, but in reality these are the most trying conditions when you don't know the boat. We needed a lighter light #1, the rig was too tight, we had too much backstay (meaning we had the runners on at all), and according to the diver, may have been dragging a crab pot for some of the race as there were rope marks on the keel the next morning. The only upside, it may the "improve" objective much easier.

If you have been following the thread, we went bigger on headsails and kites, changed the mast rake significantly at the suggestion of the the designers and as the breeze picked up we started to see the real benefits of the changes. From 7 knots and Otra Vez is powered up and she will her targets easily up and down, and the larger kites had us over target most of the time downwind. As the breeze continued to build downwind speed at 140 TWA matched windspeed up to 18 knots. The highest speed we saw was 18.5 knots in 22 knots of TWS. On friday in 19-24 knots, the average speed on the runs was 17 knots. Upwind speeds were at or slightly above target. It is something to be going upwind at 8.9 knots at 35 degrees TWA in 20 knots of wind. We had a heavy crew and with the righting moment provided by the dramatic hull flair she sailed flatter than i expected.

Other thoughts:

1) She eats line like no boat i have seen. Maybe this is the big boat versus small boat, but going through runner tails, spin sheets, vang strops, etc like candy was a surprise. We changed some cover materials during the week and it seemed to help, but there are a few 600' reels of line in our future.

2) The understanding of the rig tune is probably the greatest area of potential improvement (and i include the running backstay trim in this).

3) The helm is so balanced that even in breeze that there is almost no "feel" in the steering. It took a little while to get used to. I will say the amount of rudder bite is shocking, there was not a single roundup or near round up for the entire week.

4) Halyard locks are easy to get "on" lock and nearly impossible to get "off" lock. We had to send Huey to the top of the rig to release the mainsail every day after racing. Not a major drama, but a hassle that shouldn't be necessary. We are pulling the lock from the rig and will see why it works perfectly with no load, but as soon as there is any tension in the halyard it "binds"

5) String drop spinnaker takedowns are about the "little details" and big grinders. I lost count of how many takedown patches we pulled out of the spinnakers. By the end of the week we were better but far from good or confident. The sequence of tack, halyard, sheet, etc is still a bit of a mystery. We took some video belowdecks that we are analysing to make changes to the run to the aft bulkhead.

6) The paint job was worth it. The boat is stunning to see in person and on the water.

7) We started really well, especially the last 3 days. All credit to Jay Lutz for this.

8) Although the band was wide, IRC worked well. The racing was tight on the water and corrected. In the lighter air, the swans did well, and as the breeze picked up the better downwind ability of the ker designs started to work. At the end of the week, 4 of the top 5 in the class were Ker designs, Arethusa, the IRC optimized Swan 42, was the best sailed boat all week and deserved to win.

9) Fast is fun!!!!

A great week.

Bill

post-7277-0-53089200-1390989862_thumb.jpg

post-7277-0-06687900-1390989883_thumb.jpg

post-7277-0-48255700-1390989896_thumb.jpg

No input on the mechanics of how you sailed, but wow. Your boat looks seriously bitchin. Nice job, and hope you had fun with your new toy!!

Sounds like a blast! If you haven't already, reach out to Dave Shriner to get up to speed quickly on the boat. I think he ran it before you took ownership.

Cheers,

Murphness

the only thing that sucks for me I can;t call the boat Parmigiana anymore ;-)

Boats looking good 200. Seems like you had a good battle with the other Ker weapons down there.

One question I had was that the boat seemed to come out of the box set up slightly more for offshore work. Didja find that any of those design avenues helped or hurt at kwrw?

Once again it Was a pleasure being pulled over by our Valkyrie friend to meet you. Hope to get a chance to go toe to toe in the NE this summer.

Sounds like a blast! If you haven't already, reach out to Dave Shriner to get up to speed quickly on the boat. I think he ran it before you took ownership.

Cheers,

Murphness

Dave is still the boat captain and was intimately involved in the prep and sailing. There were enough changes to re-mode the boat that a lot of new things were happening and when you mix that with 11 new people on the boat the areas of improvement are many.

Bill

Cheers,

Murphness

Dave is still the boat captain and was intimately involved in the prep and sailing. There were enough changes to re-mode the boat that a lot of new things were happening and when you mix that with 11 new people on the boat the areas of improvement are many.

Bill

Ahhh, excellent. You're in good hands then!

Have a blast with it!

Great to read of a project that goes to plan. Good pic too. Looks like a weapon

How did the velcro on the kites work?

We installed the velcro on 5 kites. Overall I would give it a B. The spacing for the tack is not tight enough (i.e. the bands are too far apart) and a velcro stop is needed right after the tack patch so you can fold the tack in on itself to minimize the chance of catching a wave. No major issues at the head of the sail.

Bill

Wasn't the "original" Orta Vez a 36.7 out of Houston?

How did the velcro on the kites work?

We installed the velcro on 5 kites. Overall I would give it a B. The spacing for the tack is not tight enough (i.e. the bands are too far apart) and a velcro stop is needed right after the tack patch so you can fold the tack in on itself to minimize the chance of catching a wave. No major issues at the head of the sail.

Bill

Thanks Bill

Yes it was. If you search the IRC database there are 3 Otra Vez listings, my old 36.7 (now in the UK), my old J122 (now in Malta), and the current version.

Yes it was. If you search the IRC database there are 3 Otra Vez listings, my old 36.7 (now in the UK), my old J122 (now in Malta), and the current version.

paging btbotfa.....see, from 36.7 to ker 43.....there's hope ;-)

0.00 here on the ocean. Occasional puffs to 0.5

Boatbuilding going on as Guinness takes advantage of delay to prep for Bermuda

Hope Guinness is using every BN's favourite tool, big orange hammer!

69358_big.jpgIt's 2014, don't you think it's time to retire the "BN" term Thurston?

Thanks "Clean" for giving us the front page today! Can't ask for a better owner than Bill! The boat was prepared and we had all the things we needed to win. I thought we did really well considering only one person had ever been on the boat before KWRW. A couple of days of practice and then 5 days of racing, very steep learning curve, but we hung in there! The boat has very few issues that need addressing. Its headed to St Maarten, then St Barths. Looking forward to those regattas! Hope by then we have the main halyard lock issue addressed, as 13 times up the rig in 7 days left quite a few bruises. I'm sure our capable Boat Captain, Dave Shriner will have us ready when we hit the Islands!

On the velcro vs yarn issue, I would drop the grade Bill gave from B to C-. It worked sorta, but was not really a good answer. It really didn't allow the tack or head to be tightly wrapped. Better than nothing, but not by much.