• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EaglesPDX

AC34's "Liveline" race graphics

540 posts in this topic

Mariner picked up this media coverage of AC34's new (to me anyway) branding of their race graphics as "Liveline". With the race starting this weekend, be fun to critique it. Hope they create a file of the race broadcast to download after the race for folks wh can't watch it live.

America's Cup officials haven't announced a TV deal yet, but say the first AC World Series stop will be aired in more than 20 countries and streamed live on americascup.com

"Liveline" online is all we need thanks...don't need no steek'in "TV".

Liked the "editorial" comment of the MSNBC.com writer, Bernie Willson

The courses at the various ACWS stops, as well as on San Francisco Bay, will be shorter and more exciting than the ocean courses used in previous America's Cup in plodding sloops.

No more pos's (plodding old sloops) in the America's Cup!

And Coutts comment:

"I think the old ones, you could probably see the start of the race, go away and have lunch, come back and not much has changed," Coutts said. "The new ones, if you go away for 30 seconds, you're going to miss a lot. There's a big difference."

Liked the "editorial" comment of the MSNBC.com writer, Bernie Willson

The courses at the various ACWS stops, as well as on San Francisco Bay, will be shorter and more exciting than the ocean courses used in previous America's Cup in plodding sloops.

No more pos's (plodding old sloops) in the America's Cup!

WE WILL SEE MONOHULLS ==IACC IN THE REAL AC

And Coutts comment:

"I think the old ones, you could probably see the start of the race, go away and have lunch, come back and not much has changed," Coutts said. "The new ones, if you go away for 30 seconds, you're going to miss a lot.

LIKE WHEN COUTTTS DOES ANOTHER CAT-A-PULT TRICK FLIP

There's a big difference."

yeah

OCEAN COURSES VS BAY BACK WASH CURSE

Mariner picked up this media coverage of AC34's new (to me anyway) branding of their race graphics as "Liveline". With the race starting this weekend, be fun to critique it. Hope they create a file of the race broadcast to download after the race for folks wh can't watch it live.

America's Cup officials haven't announced a TV deal yet, but say the first AC World Series stop will be aired in more than 20 countries and streamed live on americascup.com

The only way they could make it better for you...

is to charge you $50 for it...

The lines that will appear on the screen are the start-finish lines; ahead-behind lines; the laylines, which are the lines on either side of the course that show the approach to a mark; and the course boundaries. There will be circles indicating three boat lengths at the windward mark and six lengths at the downwind mark to define the zone in which the overlap rules apply.

Good to know. Now is that information on the AC34 website anywhere? They could have a whole section on the evolution of the video, have a comments section, so much they could be doing with this at this early stage to engage the public.

america%27s%20cup%20sailing-2089366654_v2.grid-6x2.jpg

Eagles, not sure what you meant by a file to download but there's a ton of race data that will be downloadable, along with (surely) the video.

It's possible that an 'interactive' model might get made available eventually, it would be awesome to control your own AC45 against the real ones.

Eagles, not sure what you meant by a file to download but there's a ton of race data that will be downloadable, along with (surely) the video.

It's possible that an 'interactive' model might get made available eventually, it would be awesome to control your own AC45 against the real ones.

I meant the video file (with all the cool graphic overlays of course) of the races. So if I miss them live I can watch them online later.

Yep, am hoping for that too.

May not get to catch it live this time, or even for days after, sucks! But it's a good new obsession I have at work, could be a lot worse.

Yep, am hoping for that too.

May not get to catch it live this time, or even for days after, sucks! But it's a good new obsession I have at work, could be a lot worse.

Moi aussi..took on big project that has me working weekends in August. Might be able to sneak a couple on live at work but it would still be fun to put the races up in a window and watch when I get home.

The races being twenty minutes instead of three hours does have bennies!

The races being twenty minutes instead of three hours does have bennies!

Good point. Forgot they were so much shorter. Still can't picture the AC72's and America's Cup as 20 minute races. Gotta be like NFL, World Cup, F1...couple hours.

You are slow.

^ Am confused, slow with what? Everybody 'in the know' already knew the new name Liveline, and simply forgot to mention it?

I think we will hear that 'Liveline' a lot moving forward, and also think a thread devoted to its subject is about as appropriate as most that get started. It even credits Mariner in the byline for the first find.

Is the problem that AC.com is publishing everything so transparently, that those 'in the know' actually know things at the same pace as 'the rest' of us? Pathetically silly complaint, from where I am.

^ Am confused, slow with what? Everybody 'in the know' already knew the new name Liveline, and simply forgot to mention it?

I think we will hear that 'Liveline' a lot moving forward, and also think a thread devoted to its subject is about as appropriate as most that get started. It even credits Mariner in the byline for the first find.

Is the problem that AC.com is publishing everything so transparently, that those 'in the know' actually know things at the same pace as 'the rest' of us? Pathetically silly complaint, from where I am.

Also problem of topics getting all bunched together in one massive thread. Hopefully after first race we can use this topic to talk about..."Liveline". All the info in the MSNBC.cm article should be on AC34 website with lots of screenshots and explanations, getting folks ready for the races this weekend.

really, really slow

Amen!

Nothing here that wasn't discussed and reported ad nauseum when the AC45s were first trialling back in Auckland. OK, SH's "Liveline" name choice is new. And of course it was picked up and reported here before Stan added it to his website. Without question, the clearest exposition yet of how the TV graphics package will work.

And finally, would someone point out to the Googler that Bernie Wilson doesn't work for MSNBC. He's flagged in the article as an AP writer. Anyone who has followed the America's Cup since its salad days in San Diego would know that Bernie, who is one cool dude, is one of the very rare sportswriters whose stock-in-trade is ball sports but who has developed an abiding love for, and expertise about, the America's Cup game.

Funny part is if you do a search on AC34 website for "Liveline".

No results found

Aw shucks. Spinray the protector of small, dumb animals.

Aw shucks. Spinray the protector of small, dumb animals.

Really, he should get a Google browser just like yours that can penetrate secure servers with a single bound, and then publish the confidential information he mines, jiust like you.

Really, he should get a Google browser just like yours that can penetrate secure servers with a single bound, and then publish the confidential information he mines, jiust like you.

Sweet...have Wifi setup at the job site for Saturday and Sunday.

I'm really hoping for "something wonderful"

Sweet...have Wifi setup at the job site for Saturday and Sunday.

I'm really hoping for "something wonderful"

Damn, so you pulled the weekend shift again! It's great that they let you rig the Wifi at your McDonalds though - generous. Maybe if you let the shift manager watch too, you'l make EoTM again!

Damn, so you pulled the weekend shift again! It's great that they let you rig the Wifi at your McDonalds though - generous. Maybe if you let the shift manager watch too, you'l make EoTM again!

I'll take your word for it as the resident expert on McDonald's. Who knew McD's had Wifi. But thanks for sharing your expertise. Do you find it a fast connection?

Set up is poorly done and late.

1. Needed to have small demo setup so folks could register, download applications and test it out vs. waiting for race day and scrambling around.

2. Registration asked for, easy enough but then it doesn't take you back to what you registered for, you have to go back to main page and search.

3. No step by step help file explaining what you need where to get it what to expect. Says waiting for race data. Small mouse over balloon says when race starts you'll get data but should be a timer showing that. Can't tell if its slow connection, nothing happening.

4. Click on "Watch live" link on main page but then nothing on the page about other than "Virtual Eye". That's nice but is that the race video? After loading "Eye" application, it loads the "waiting for data screen" but that screen has no links back.

So sitting here waiting. Guess a link will show up.

Well "Liveline" disappears in favor of "Virtual Eye".

What AC34 should so is have a YouTube video explaining all the functions of the Virtual Eye to the layman.

They also need to rig up so that the live video and Virtual Eye are two resizeable windows in the same browser tab vs. forcing the viewer to open browser windows and tabs and resize and rearrange their desktop.

Ideal of course was to have the video so the viewer could toggle on/off overlay graphics on the live video and choose the different camera views from the live video feeds similar to the "camera views" choices in Virtual Eye.

The video graphic overlays when they post them are great but VE is not not so good.

Need to merge the live video with Virtual Eye as they do too infrequently with the live video and provide a race overview with the graphics on it.

When they do impose the VE on the live video they ID all the boats at once which VE will not do. It keeps giving one or two at a time and cycling through them.

Best is video race overview showing all boats with all the graphics and ID's on it.

Been watching both the live feed and virtual eye - so far am underwhelmed by virtual eye's ability to cover fleet racing. Too many boats, so the flags keep switching around and the contrast between the boats and the ocean graphic makes it hard to really follow. Also dislike the camera settings - they need to be tweaked further because I can't just get a static view.

It would be awesome to control your own AC45 against the real ones.

No, it would not be awesome.

It would be an idiotic frivolity.

This is the America's Cup.

Not a video game.

Yes it would. It would make for a great game for your phone and they could sell bucketloads of them. Fantasy league would be good too.

Yes it would. It would make for a great game for your phone and they could sell bucketloads of them. Fantasy league would be good too.

That may well be true.

For the 'real' simulator in Cascais, a recent AC-produced video features Chris Draper using it a little and he seemed to have fun with it. And in some other org's video (lost the link) there is a quite interesting interview with Fresh Burns, also from in Cascais, wherein he makes a couple references to that simulator as if it has had value to some team members. Anyway, always did enjoy the (also-lame) Alinghi simulator thingy in Valencia, hopefully this one will go on the traveling road show too. It's just a bit of fun.

Glad to see that the Anarchists are up for providing some (please) constructive criticism about LiveLine and

the coverage. I'm the Associate Producer for that portion of the coverage - this means I'm pushing the buttons

on the controls... choosing what elements to show, when to show them and how things generally look.

I am a long time sailor/ racer and this is my 4th Cup on the TV team. (at least one of you might be able to guess

my name...)

We got our first really functional system up running today, with good data from the boats and through the helicopter.

This means you can regard today's on-air as the first beta release. Things mostly worked and we didn't make too

many mistakes - but we certainly made a few (like many of the sailors.)

The tech team here is busting, putting in looonnggg days to pull this off. Hopefully things will settle down as the

full integration of real time (10Hz) data running race management, umpiring, and TV gets sorted through use.

Just so you know, the list of "features" is really long. We've only used a few so far but they get used 20-50 times

in a 20 minute race. It will be tough to get them all in and certainly tougher to add new ones. That said, feel free

to make your suggestions. I will listen and respond as time allows.

Someone had the good idea of having the start change color at the point the start gun is fired (are they shooting a gun?).

LOVE having the course boundaries up.

What about wind-direction indicators projected onto the course?

Thanks for soliciting constructive criticism.

^ Super, thank you for chiming in.

One of the stats being shown today was "distance to the leader" (or something like that) - how is that computed? The result of one boat's straight line distance from the next mark, minus the other boat's distance to that mark?

Whatever make sense I do like the idea because the VE can, as we all know, get a little jittery if it is calculating advantage lines based on the current wind direction at who-knows-what place on the course. The variation swing throws even the announcers off kilter sometimes, would be nice to have a more accurate, and simpler, stat.

The tech team here is busting, putting in looonnggg days to pull this off. Hopefully things will settle down as the

full integration of real time (10Hz) data running race management, umpiring, and TV gets sorted through use.

Just so you know, the list of "features" is really long. We've only used a few so far but they get used 20-50 times

in a 20 minute race. It will be tough to get them all in and certainly tougher to add new ones. That said, feel free

Best view is the video with overall view, boat flags, green/red right of way lines (that's a nice feature), boat speed and race lines (start, mark). A non-sailor looking at it can get it very quickly, mark shows where they going, red/green who had right of way, speed, flags who it is, the leader line with distance/time ahead...hey I see a boat race...in fast boats with athletes pushing hard to make'em go...almost like an exciting athletic sporting event.

So looks like the tools are there to do it right.

VE is almost unusable. The rotating boat labels are bad.

That should get bagged in favor of a video feed with the full graphic overlay of overall race with announcers audio.

The other feed is the traditional video with announcers, cutting back to individual boats, different shots, the usual TV show.

Ideal, just let the viewers run their own control room. I'll pick this overall shot with this graphics feed and this audio. Folks could pick their teams boat to "sail on" viewing that cam and audio. Pop up window that would have crew bios that people could open and close.

Ideal, just let the viewers run their own control room. I'll pick this overall shot with this graphics feed and this audio. Folks could pick their teams boat to "sail on" viewing that cam and audio. Pop up window that would have crew bios that people could open and close.

You keep bringing up this idea but do you really think people want to fuss with trying to 'direct' the live action production themselves? Me, I'm content to let the producers select - given that they have so much information coming in to help guide the 'story line.' Were I focussed in on just one boat then I would probably miss something important developing, elsewhere.

For replays, if I had the time luxury to do it, then yes - interactive/selectable cameras could be cool for checking out situations like the MOB on Sunday. But even there, once we do see a capsize or somesuch then I bet the producers will bring it all home, the best as can be done.

You keep bringing up this idea but do you really think people want to fuss with trying to 'direct' the live action production themselves?

Nope. I think they would pick their team, put that in one window and overall race view that holds a full graphic overlay in another window and sit back and watch the race.

Can offer the ambitious a "Control Room" option where they pick their feeds and overlays and offer a couple defaults for people getting started or lazy like me.

1. Default one...the regular TV feed from the studio.

2. Default two...overall race view with the graphics overlay

3. Customize view...that lets you control the vertical, horizontal etc.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but... why do they use km/hour for boat speed instead of knots? If it's an attempt to not confuse non-sailors why not have knots prominently displayed with km/hour and mph in a smaller font underneath? Also glad to see Stan Honey's magic lines getting more use. The graphics are getting better and better with each passing day so I expect great things by SF in 2013.

Been wondering the same thing. Pretty weak, actually. They use knotts for wind-speed, then the graphics during the race only show km/h. This needs to change.

Oysterhead,

Good to have you on SA and offering listen to us. I'd like to know why you're using km/hour instead of knots? If you're trying to keep it understandable by non-sailors how about using knots with the km/hour and mph under it in a smaller font?

Oyster - It's way cool that you are tuning in here. We've seen a lot of improvement already and know some of this is based on our feedback. It's also great to know more about what's happening behind the scenes and that you are in beta mode.

The on the water audio is just the best and I've been getting emails and have had convos with other sailors and journos who feel that the language is, while not for mainstream tv, It Is Sailing. Not sure how you will handle it, but I appreciate that the crew are at liberty to speak however they want.

Graphic overlays are getting better every day.

Thanks for the back story.

After a few comments about HB wrestling with a flag at the end of the race, it appears he's handed that responsibility off to the other gender.

That's a good first step, now all they have to do is replace the flag with a gun or cannon. I think the public will be able to figure it out.

The on the water audio is just the best and I've been getting emails and have had convos with other sailors and journos who feel that the language is, while not for mainstream tv, It Is Sailing. Not sure how you will handle it, but I appreciate that the crew are at liberty to speak however they want.

I most definitely am not one to rejoice in f-bombs, nor do I think it is some "bullshit bowing to puritan American corporate interests", or whatever I have heard on these forums to cut f-bombs out of broadcast media. I believe children are already expose to plenty, early on, and I don't exactly have any desire for the primary live coverage to be loaded with f-bombs when I have my 7-year old watch the racing with me on Saturday. But, I really do like to hear the raw audio footage on the b-feeds, complete with all the raw language, after watching the action, live. So far, I think the producers are doing a fantastic job of the light filtering they do during the live footage, and not editing the b-feeds for later viewing, so we can hear the uncut dialogue.

It would be an idiotic frivolity.

As opposed to a billionaire's boat race...about as frivolous as it gets.

I really didn't notice any F Bombs today but saw in the comments that there was one from Artemis after they got destroyed at the start. What I did like was the completely unexpected "it's a delivery from here boys" by the ETNZ boat.

I most definitely am not one to rejoice in f-bombs, nor do I think it is some "bullshit bowing to puritan American corporate interests", or whatever I have heard on these forums to cut f-bombs out of broadcast media. I believe children are already expose to plenty, early on, and I don't exactly have any desire for the primary live coverage to be loaded with f-bombs when I have my 7-year old watch the racing with me on Saturday. But, I really do like to hear the raw audio footage on the b-feeds, complete with all the raw language, after watching the action, live. So far, I think the producers are doing a fantastic job of the light filtering they do during the live footage, and not editing the b-feeds for later viewing, so we can hear the uncut dialogue.

.. in some other org's video (lost the link) there is a quite interesting interview with Fresh Burns, also from in Cascais, wherein he makes a couple references to that simulator as if it has had value to some team members. Anyway, always did enjoy the (also-lame) Alinghi simulator thingy in Valencia, hopefully this one will go on the traveling road show too. It's just a bit of fun.

fwiw, here's that link

http://blip.tv/prtsc/fibra-americas-cup-world-series-entrevista-a-ian-burns-da-team-oracle-5457389

Well said - we've known the risk of the live feed is the f-bombs.

Hearing how the top teams work together to make their boats go fast - and the OTW debriefs around their finish time can be valuable for aspiring sailors.

Glad to see that the Anarchists are up for providing some (please) constructive criticism about LiveLine and

the coverage. I'm the Associate Producer for that portion of the coverage - this means I'm pushing the buttons

on the controls... choosing what elements to show, when to show them and how things generally look.

You do nice work. Seeing the boundaries today most of the time was excellent. I'm not worried about the advantage lines myself, but I guess they're bothering your most sophisticated viewers.

Do you have anything to do with getting the clock on the screen? It vanished in replays of Coutts crossing the line at the start; I didn't notice whether it was in the live shot. I think it should be a fixed feature from the two minute mark until after the boats cross the start line.

I am a long time sailor/ racer and this is my 4th Cup on the TV team. (at least one of you might be able to guess

my name...)

We got our first really functional system up running today, with good data from the boats and through the helicopter.

This means you can regard today's on-air as the first beta release. Things mostly worked and we didn't make too

many mistakes - but we certainly made a few (like many of the sailors.)

Thank you for chiming in and I appreciate the work you guys are doing.

I'm pretty content with the live feed. What would be helpful is a start line view for Virtual Eya that is "anchored" on the center of the line. Users can then zoom and pivot the image around that.

Thanks again for hard work.

Morning 12 for me in Cascais, deep into another 16 hour day in the glamorous TV

shipping containers. Here are some answers for the questions and ideas above.

First, remember that LiveLine (LL from now on) is being drawn over only one realtime helicopter feed.

I direct both the pilot and the onboard camera operator onboard where to go and what to frame. I am trying

to generate a continuous view of the important action from above to give context to where things are.

This allows the rest of the production team to bounce around between the other 30+ cameras that

are out there, picking the (hopefully) most exciting, interesting, and visually stunning shots.

Remember also, there are operators for every one of these cameras trying to "sell" their shots to get into

the shows (4 parallel ones) on top of 4 control rooms choosing/making the shows. There are two

other helicopters with really aggressive pilots... guess whose shots get used most? (Keep your own

tally sheet for fun if the races are boring!) Be glad you aren't the operator of the hard mount camera on top

of the castle looking out to sea who gets used maybe once, for 5 seconds, every six or seven hours...

The LL camera has been getting 30-50 tallys per 20 minute race, so the context shot is pretty important to

telling the story.

If I had to make a show with only one camera I would choose mine (but I am biased...)

Also, remember that VE is generating fully synthetic views that cannot be replicated with a real helicopter

or an F18. VE makes sense for the internet and for applications where users can control what they want

to see. It was the best we could do in 1992 and for all the intervening years up to now.

LL is trying to apply First and Ten (yellow line in American football) to a moving camera using similar

elements to VE. This is a technological world first, and we are doing it in sailing because we are sailors...

but it will eventually be stable/flexible enough to be used in other sports.

Now to details:

Changing the startline color at the start is a great idea and requires some clever technical work.

We're clever enough to get this sorted, but are focusing right now on simply synchronizing the digital clock

on the RC boat (the master clock for each race start) with all the other graphical clocks in the overlays.

Currently, I manually fade off the start line at the start if no one is OCS and leave it if someone has to restart, until

they are clear. We're in discussion (right now as I type this) about color and behavior of the entry lines for the

match racing. They were yellow yesterday.... probably the same as the mark circles (orange) today.

Distances, ahead-behind, time to mark etc. are computed in various ways and differently in LL and VE. All of us

in the LL team are thinking really hard about how to do it best, given the impossibility of measuring wind everywhere

on the course. We have no wind data from the competitors (against the class rules) but we do have it from all

the race management boats. So far, this gets us within 20 degrees of "correct" for any pair of boats... but that

isn't good enough for real stats. This means that, for now, we are adjusting our "wind direction" number maually

based on the sailing angles. It isn't right, so use your own eyes like you do on the racecourse. As the boats get

closer to the gates, our best choice is to use the line across the gate as perpendicular to the local wind; the guys

driving those boats are good sailors and try really hard to hold the lines square - unless they are intentionally

directed by RM to massively skew the line.

Course boundaries are updated by RM from onboard the signal boat at their whim. You will now see them pop around

on the screen from time to time as they get updated before and mid-race. They aren't "set" for any race until the

two minute gun. That's what the competitors have to deal with so the audience will also...

However, yesterday I held them constant while LL was on air and let them move between tallys so the movement wouldn't

be visually jarring. This meant that they weren't always in exactly the correct place.

Km/hr versus knots. You have to know that all the sailors here on the crew (and most sailors) want knots for

everything, all the time. Other folks farther up the management chain feel that Km/hr is easier to understand

across the wide human population, so that is what we have for now. We'll see how that settles out as feedback

from the world gets to ACEA. Let's hope that the feedback is positive and constructive, otherwise this short

term injection of technological R&D funding won't last long.

Personally, I am excited about the surround sound, multichannel audio that is coming soon as the wrinkles

get worked out. It will also be a technological world first, (live from a moving vehicle) and will make it seem

like you are really onboard. Once that is working, we can let the racers and the boats tell the story themselves.

8 to 10 from the NW and building, 3 hrs to first start. Should be a fun day out there. Enjoy the show.

First, remember that LiveLine (LL from now on) is being drawn over only one realtime helicopter feed.

I direct both the pilot and the onboard camera operator onboard where to go and what to frame. I am trying

to generate a continuous view of the important action from above to give context to where things are.

This allows the rest of the production team to bounce around between the other 30+ cameras that

are out there, picking the (hopefully) most exciting, interesting, and visually stunning shots.

Remember also, there are operators for every one of these cameras trying to "sell" their shots to get into

the shows (4 parallel ones) on top of 4 control rooms choosing/making the shows. There are two

other helicopters with really aggressive pilots... guess whose shots get used most? (Keep your own

tally sheet for fun if the races are boring!) Be glad you aren't the operator of the hard mount camera on top

of the castle looking out to sea who gets used maybe once, for 5 seconds, every six or seven hours...

The LL camera has been getting 30-50 tallys per 20 minute race, so the context shot is pretty important to

telling the story.

If I had to make a show with only one camera I would choose mine (but I am biased...)

Also, remember that VE is generating fully synthetic views that cannot be replicated with a real helicopter

or an F18. VE makes sense for the internet and for applications where users can control what they want

to see. It was the best we could do in 1992 and for all the intervening years up to now.

LL is trying to apply First and Ten (yellow line in American football) to a moving camera using similar

elements to VE. This is a technological world first, and we are doing it in sailing because we are sailors...

but it will eventually be stable/flexible enough to be used in other sports.

Now to details:

Changing the startline color at the start is a great idea and requires some clever technical work.

We're clever enough to get this sorted, but are focusing right now on simply synchronizing the digital clock

on the RC boat (the master clock for each race start) with all the other graphical clocks in the overlays.

Currently, I manually fade off the start line at the start if no one is OCS and leave it if someone has to restart, until

they are clear. We're in discussion (right now as I type this) about color and behavior of the entry lines for the

match racing. They were yellow yesterday.... probably the same as the mark circles (orange) today.

Distances, ahead-behind, time to mark etc. are computed in various ways and differently in LL and VE. All of us

in the LL team are thinking really hard about how to do it best, given the impossibility of measuring wind everywhere

on the course. We have no wind data from the competitors (against the class rules) but we do have it from all

the race management boats. So far, this gets us within 20 degrees of "correct" for any pair of boats... but that

isn't good enough for real stats. This means that, for now, we are adjusting our "wind direction" number maually

based on the sailing angles. It isn't right, so use your own eyes like you do on the racecourse. As the boats get

closer to the gates, our best choice is to use the line across the gate as perpendicular to the local wind; the guys

driving those boats are good sailors and try really hard to hold the lines square - unless they are intentionally

directed by RM to massively skew the line.

Course boundaries are updated by RM from onboard the signal boat at their whim. You will now see them pop around

on the screen from time to time as they get updated before and mid-race. They aren't "set" for any race until the

two minute gun. That's what the competitors have to deal with so the audience will also...

However, yesterday I held them constant while LL was on air and let them move between tallys so the movement wouldn't

be visually jarring. This meant that they weren't always in exactly the correct place.

Km/hr versus knots. You have to know that all the sailors here on the crew (and most sailors) want knots for

everything, all the time. Other folks farther up the management chain feel that Km/hr is easier to understand

across the wide human population, so that is what we have for now. We'll see how that settles out as feedback

from the world gets to ACEA. Let's hope that the feedback is positive and constructive, otherwise this short

Personally, I am excited about the surround sound, multichannel audio that is coming soon as the wrinkles

get worked out. It will also be a technological world first, (live from a moving vehicle) and will make it seem

like you are really onboard. Once that is working, we can let the racers and the boats tell the story themselves.

8 to 10 from the NW and building, 3 hrs to first start. Should be a fun day out there. Enjoy the show.

Amazing - thanks for taking the time to give us your insight.

Really good to know just where you are up to with the developments and to better understand how the various elements are generated and used.

Good luck with the broadcast today.

Thanks for the update on your hard work. It is greatly appreciated.

One of the funny things about this website is that sometimes the bitching that goes on the forum actually gets the ear of people providing the product.

Priceless - sincerely grateful. And:

I'd guess it's not Stan Honey's he's referring to, so ..

Well you just picked up a few million more potential viewers by solving the German/Swedish conundrum - many thanks to whoever sorted that out!

The selectable feed is great.

. . . .

Damn, thank you very much for your feedback. AWESOME work and very much appreciated. I REALLY hope this is a long-term thing we are getting to see, from the boats, to the broadcast production. FANTASTIC!

I would say that is safe to say.

. . . .

Damn, thank you very much for your feedback. AWESOME work and very much appreciated. I REALLY hope this is a long-term thing we are getting to see, from the boats, to the broadcast production. FANTASTIC!

I would say that is safe to say.

Stan is covered by the bit I highlighted - my guess would be the 'Football Boys' RW etc - shame, but it works either way.

Just a note - the Virtual Eye is about 15-20 seconds faster than the streaming video during race two.

Virtual Eye is 12 seconds ahead of the video.

Virtual Eye and the video need to be synchronized.

Make the breadcrumbs Green for boat with right of way, Red for burdened boat. It gives information.

Use Picture in Picture.

Overall race video with full graphics overlay (Liveline?) as the main screen and then put the individual boat cam feed in another smaller picture on screen. Really don't get much off the onboard boat pics other than the "atmosphere" and audio while the overall with the full Liveline suite shows what is going on. Vice versa would work also, vanilla/chocolate issue as far as which should be background and foreground, either way would work fine.

If switching to full video onboard of one boat or another or any shot that doesn't accomodate Liveline, keep a graphics overlay of advantage and BOTH boat's speed in upper right corner.

Since VE is fixed size and can't be resized on the desktop, viewer has to work around it, open two windows for VE and video but VE's fixed size means you can do a PinP on the desktop.

.. Anyway, always did enjoy the (also-lame) Alinghi simulator thingy in Valencia, hopefully this one will go on the traveling road show too. It's just a bit of fun.

Any device, any time…except iPhones and iPads. Media and presenter's seem clueless that it doesn't work on idevices, the leading mobile devices.

Interesting none of the "media" asked that question. Media doesn't seem to use the technology now just asking generic questions time filler questions. Answers are similarly generic. Everything is "That's a great question".

I guess what we see now is not what they plan to deliver in future. They are talking about multiple viewing windows with data ribbons and other overlays which we don't have. Hmm…said we'll have multiple screens "today" but didn't see it but then AC34 hides content behind its confusing interface.

Really doesn't answer the question of what happens when AC34 sells content to "broadcasters" which is what caused the blackouts in Germany and Sweden.

Whoever the young lady mediating, she needs to go to Toastmasters or something, very poor public presentation.

Sounds like they have the right vision, multiple screens, user choice, graphic data overlay but haven't seen it yet.

Overall (both boats in the picture) with full graphics overlay and data and a pic in pic of an onboat cam is ideal for me.

.. haven't seen it yet.

True, there is a lot still in the pipeline with integration into the Google+ platform he is talking about.

Interesting video there.

.. haven't seen it yet.

True, there is a lot still in the pipeline with integration into the Google+ platform he is talking about.

Interesting video there.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. What's the date on the vidoe? New today?

The seem to have the right vision, so I can be floating around SF Bay watching the race in person and on the iPad on the console with a fully customizable view in my iPad.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. What's the date on the video? New today?

Yes, was uploaded today, alongside the YouTube Partnership announcement that's been rumored here for a time already as being in the works. More context at here,

http://www.americascup.com/en/Latest/News/2011/8/34th-Americas-Cup-and-YouTube-Announce-Groundbreaking-Media-Partnership/

Yes, was uploaded today, alongside the YouTube Partnership announcement that's been rumored here for a time already as being in the works. More context at here,

http://www.americasc...ia-Partnership/

YouTube partnership is Google partnership which the YouTube guy kept injecting into the conversation. That's good because they are leaders in the web technology and user interface. They will definitely provide good advice and the back end horsepower to make the multifeed feed work. Something they do need to work on as my feed, major city, West Coast US is not smooth. Need to beef up the back end.

Interesting the Google guy kept mentioning Goolge's competitor product vs. Facebook, I wonder if Google would kick in some major cash to got AC34 to make Facebook with Google's product?

YouTube partnership is Google partnership which the YouTube guy kept injecting into the conversation. That's good because they are leaders in the web technology and user interface. They will definitely provide good advice and the back end horsepower to make the multifeed feed work. Something they do need to work on as my feed, major city, West Coast US is not smooth. Need to beef up the back end.

Akamai is the CDN. Your ISP is the issue, not Google or YT

Akamai is the CDN. Your ISP is the issue, not Google or YT

SpeedTest says the problem is upstream.

http://www.speedtest.../1430534420.png

Don't be surprised today by a change in the way LL uses ladder rungs/laylines/ahead behind.

For the past many, many years we have always kept the ladder rungs perpendicular to the

wind and therefore pinned to the laylines. This makes sense to all us racers, but is tough

to explain to non-sailors.

Today we wll experiment with leaving the lines (if they appear) perpendicular to each leg axis.

so they will end up looking more like the stripes on a stadium field. Crossing each line will

then imply progress towards the next mark, not towards/away from the wind... and the boats

actual headings will show headers/lifts, as will their trails, relative to the lines.

Hopefully this will make it easier for viewers and commentators to see what is happening.

Match race finals for our first stop of the tour today. Wind building, hopefully it stays.

One other note, when the heli has to go in for fuel we obviously can't draw these things and

VE gets used instead. Alternatively, if they run two match races with 5 min between starts

on the same course then our heli and LL are used as the only camera on one of the races

and all the rest stay with the other race. This happened yesterday and is expected again today.

telling the story.

When you say "LL camera" do you mean the overall race video with the full graphics overlay, course, advantage, flag ID's etc.? If I had only one shot that would be it also.

That should be the main view all the time and then the viewers should be able to pick the on-boat camera feeds they want which should show in inset in the overall graphic.

Interesting when you say we see that 30-50 times a race as I'm always wanting to see it more as it gives the most information. When they go to one of the close in or onboard shots..it's...."ah...what's happening, what's happening" as we lose the whose winning info and view.

Thanks for posting all the details. It's fascinating stuff. Very ambitious also, really matches the idea of the cats themselves, moving the race to the 21st century.

PS I have to hit the road before the race starts, definitely hurts I can't put the race on my iPhone because the video stream won't work on iPhones or iPads.

Don't be surprised today by a change in the way LL uses ladder rungs/laylines/ahead behind.

For the past many, many years we have always kept the ladder rungs perpendicular to the

wind and therefore pinned to the laylines. This makes sense to all us racers, but is tough

Today we wll experiment with leaving the lines (if they appear) perpendicular to each leg axis.

so they will end up looking more like the stripes on a stadium field. Crossing each line will

then imply progress towards the next mark, not towards/away from the wind... and the boats

actual headings will show headers/lifts, as will their trails, relative to the lines.

Hopefully this will make it easier for viewers and commentators to see what is happening.

Match race finals for our first stop of the tour today. Wind building, hopefully it stays.

One other note, when the heli has to go in for fuel we obviously can't draw these things and

VE gets used instead. Alternatively, if they run two match races with 5 min between starts

on the same course then our heli and LL are used as the only camera on one of the races

and all the rest stay with the other race. This happened yesterday and is expected again today.

Thanks again for taking the time - I really appreciate the insight into what's happening behind the scenes.

It helps me to understand what I'm seeing (and not seeing) during the broadcasts (is that still the appropriate word?) and the technical constraints on the racing. Brilliant.

Fantastically insightful info from Oysterhead...

I won't speak for anyone else - but this type of information, coming straight from the source in real time defines the Vision for Sailing Anarchy.

If you are a sailor, or just an interested fan, or anyone involved in an event - THIS IS WHERE YOU NEED TO BE! Why the hell isn't the Virtual VOR being set up to use the SA blogs (so the actual sailors can chime in too?) We can deal with the language differences on our own!

SA Rocks and big thanks to you, sir for giving us the inside scoop.

+1. Very much appreciated, Oyster!

Please fix the AC34 "Results" page. It's literally day late. Race results should be instantaneous on the AC34 website. They should be on the front page on race day not buried and 24 hours delayed.

Come on man!

And get something for the iPhone. I'm in surgery and I can play what I want on my iPhone. Could be happily rebuilding knees and shoulders and listening to PJ call the race.

Great viewing for the parts I caught today. Congrats to the ACTV team.

I am really enjoying the boat view, and the ability to switch between those and the sailor commentary when the racing gets close between boat A and B.

There was an odd moment with Jimmy saying "I'm going to take a splash" and then hearing him / and seeing him 'take a splash" between races. Eventually he got the privacy and the camera panned away. I suppose there's a balance that still needs to be struck in terms of how much to cover between races. Or perhaps more attention to the boat feeds.

I just want to throw my hat in there about Knots vs. KPH. I showed this to a friend of mine this morning and his immediate comment was "KPH....that's gonna play real well in the US. " I understand that this is trying to be like NASCAR with road speeds instead of water speeds, but we also want to be careful to not sacrifice the sport for the sake of the masses. For us sailor types, perhaps a periodic box on the screen with speed in knots?

for the sake of the masses. For us sailor types, perhaps a periodic box on the screen with speed in knots?

For the sake of the dying sport of sailing, please help revive it by upgrading it to kilometers/hr for all measures.

Don't be surprised today by a change

+1. Very much appreciated, Oyster!

+ 10. So much better to be informed the why's and how's of what are seeing produced.

+ 10 to Dixie's comment too. "Congrats to the ACTV team" - am feeling absolutely spoiled!

(and on the units used, today the commentators did another nice job of mixing it all in for everyone)

O Head,

Really cool to get the inside story, thanks for taking the time. I think showing a grid on the course makes a lot of sense.

We know as sailors that progress relative to the wind is most important but you have to first know position on course. The course boundaries being visible adds good context but not always visible in all shots, when zoomed to a mark rounding for example. But a grid of some sort, intuitively indicating bearings from last and to next marks, would be even better. Not to say that wind direction couldn't also be displayed, but the screen gets busy pretty quick i guess. Removing anything that doesn't actually add infomation is key. The team banner things that float over the boats get are pretty big, flag only or burgee.

There are a lot of opinions around here but few acknowledge the difficulty of displaying complex information effectively, especially in real time. It's cool to see the daily experiments and improvements . You have a cool job.

btw, your name...Trey and Claypool fan?

Oysterman....for the replays...is there a way to get an entire Liveline replay of the races put up on YouTube? Are you guys always running and recording a Liveline version of each race?

A big thumbs up for your insider comments here. Great work.

With a few exceptions I really like what I see so far. And I'm looking forward to the roll-out and the refinement of more graphic tools for better viewer understanding. For example, I still prefer the old VE mark time graphic that includes delta plus mark number, and lead boat name. The LL version is a bit cryptic.

Interesting take on the ladder lines. That is one experiment that could improve the viewer experience.

Keep up the pressure on upper management re knots for wind and boat speed. There are some standards that are hallowed.

Gotta say I detest the nationality flags on long posts, anchored to the tops of wings. Clumsy and over the top. Graphics too big, relative to boat size, but maybe this is all about generating graphics that will show up on phones or iPads. Hope you can find a solution.

I'm intrigued by the way that the graphics carry over, apparently seamlessly, from LL to VE. A bit disconcerting and disorienting when one is viewing the live TV and the view suddenly switches to a VE segment. My preference would be a sufficient distinction between the two products for viewers to know intuitively which they're looking at.

Oysterman....for the replays...is there a way to get an entire Liveline replay of the races put up on YouTube? Are you guys always running and recording a Liveline version of each race?

I agree that could be useful for some folks. However, there would be some confusing things: during the time that LL is not on main program (tallied) I am

usually tweaking things, making things appear and disappear... so when the show comes back to this shot it is ready to go. Off air flexibility is nice. During

the race two days ago that was only covered by LL, I was a bit constrained in what I could do. Our UI needs some tweaking...

With a few exceptions I really like what I see so far. And I'm looking forward to the roll-out and the refinement of more graphic tools for better viewer understanding. For example, I still prefer the old VE mark time graphic that includes delta plus mark number, and lead boat name. The LL version is a bit cryptic.

Interesting take on the ladder lines. That is one experiment that could improve the viewer experience.

Keep up the pressure on upper management re knots for wind and boat speed. There are some standards that are hallowed.

Gotta say I detest the nationality flags on long posts, anchored to the tops of wings. Clumsy and over the top. Graphics too big, relative to boat size, but maybe this is all about generating graphics that will show up on phones or iPads. Hope you can find a solution.

I'm intrigued by the way that the graphics carry over, apparently seamlessly, from LL to VE. A bit disconcerting and disorienting when one is viewing the live TV and the view suddenly switches to a VE segment. My preference would be a sufficient distinction between the two products for viewers to know intuitively which they're looking at.

Coordinating the overall graphics for the show (all the 2D overlays), LL and VE, didn't start until we got to Cascais. It isn't sorted yet

and will require lots of refinement as we go along. Now that we've got LL running we can move forward from pure R&D to production

use with refinement. As you can imagine, external support is shifting from "it will never work" to "that's pretty interesting, can you do xxx?"

The same thing happened with 1st & 10 in football, but the R&D phase and rollout to air was much longer. (all for drawing one static

line from 3 static cameras - and that was really difficult) This system is much more complex but based on the same fundamental work.

We've tried several approaches (offline) to ID'ing boats that don't involve the flags on posts. I will say that I don't like them either. We'll

keep trying to find a better alternative (burgees are interesting, how about drawn on the water next to the boat...) that incorporates

the fundamental concept of drawing seamlessly into the image/world instead of stuff splatted on top. The graphical elements (32 bit

images) we are currenly using come from a vendor that designed the overall look for the broadcast... and they certainly have less

experience than we do in creating 3D effects for live TV. Compromises and tests will continue...

The ladder line/grid test didn't make air yesterday, mainly due to inconsistency between calcs in LL and VE. You might have noticed that

the numbers presented in ahead/behind didn't match up - the "wind direction" in each system comes from different places and is

interpreted differently.

Knots. Keep chanting everyone... But remember, if we are successful in bringing another 1,000,000 people worldwide into accepting

sailing as something worth following then we may end up making concessions so that everyone can enjoy this together - and we'll

be outnumbered 100:1.

It would be helpful to have a bug (ID) for LL and VE, but all the sponsorship and naming rights for the events and airtime also need that

screenspace....

Last day in Cascais for 2011. Hope we have an exciting fleet race, maybe with more sailing through the spectators? Certainly it will be

more fun than packing up the 13 shipping containers we work in for the ride to Plymouth. Lots to get done in the break.

The streams to the internet are (or are not) synched several different places out there in

server land. Different through different access points. I've relayed your experience to the

authors so they can see if things can be tweaked.

The streams to the internet are (or are not) synched several different places out there in

server land. Different through different access points. I've relayed your experience to the

authors so they can see if things can be tweaked.

Thanks again oysterhead, great stuff.

If you start relaying EX's complaints you'll be busier than a carrier pigeon. He never stops moaning! If you showered him in gold he'd complain about the weight.

Keep up the good work - as long as there are sailors on the team we can hope that things don't get too far off track.

Good luck with the move and the 'tweaking'.

I agree that could be useful for some folks. However, there would be some confusing things: during the time that LL is not on main program (tallied) I am

usually tweaking things, making things appear and disappear... so when the show comes back to this shot it is ready to go. Off air flexibility is nice. During

the race two days ago that was only covered by LL, I was a bit constrained in what I could do. Our UI needs some tweaking...

Thanks. So currently when we are not seeing live you are fooling around with it.

In future though, I'm guessing Liveline is going to be in a final cut. Would that be a continuing view that the directors cut to and away from during the race and one that could be posted as the "Liveline Race View"?

Being able to watch all the action on my mobile devices is awesome. Plugged the tablet up to the tv and spent the whole afternoon watching yesterdays racing. Then I watched the live action yesterday morning at the dog park on my phone while people wondered what I was watching.

Awesome stuff.

Being able to watch all the action on my mobile devices is awesome. Plugged the tablet up to the tv and spent the whole afternoon watching yesterdays racing. Then I watched the live action yesterday morning at the dog park on my phone while people wondered what I was watching.

Awesome stuff.

Compromises and tests will continue...

I give an A+ for version 1.0. Vastly superior to anything I've ever seen in previous AC coverage.

Well done--and thanks so much for giving us an insider's view, AT. That's above and beyond the call of duty. Very much appreciated!

Compromises and tests will continue...

I give an A+ for version 1.0. Vastly superior to anything I've ever seen in previous AC coverage.

Well done--and thanks so much for giving us an insider's view, AT. That's above and beyond the call of duty. Very much appreciated!

^^^ Absolutely, many thanks to your team from here also.

Absolutely A Number One coverage! Many thanks!

Any chance of getting an HTML5 or other feed that is iOS compatible? (iPAD/iPhone).

Thanks. So currently when we are not seeing live you are fooling around with it.

In future though, I'm guessing Liveline is going to be in a final cut. Would that be a continuing view that the directors cut to and away from during the race and one that could be posted as the "Liveline Race View"?

The racing is done and we're packing up so this computer is going to sleep for a while

(and so are the rest of us.) The sailors in the crew all agree that watching via the LL

enhanced video feed tells us most of the story, adding the onboard audio all the time

and the onboard video during critical moments brings us the rest of the way to understanding

what happened during the race. VE is a good tool for analysis because the camera can

be moved anywhere and time can be variable. These elements mixed this way might not

sell to a larger audience so more time for the other cameras is really appropriate in a

general program.

Perhaps we'll get LL onto a feed full time and perhaps we'll get another heli outfitted with

all the gear as we move forward.

I am in no position to havea clue about what the plans are for other feed formats on the web

for other types of devices. I do know that lots of people are really interested and that SFO

is a hotbed of clever tech folks.... after all, the data are available for free....

On to teardown, 2 wks break, then Plymouth.

The sailors in the crew all agree that watching via the LL enhanced video feed tells us most of the story, adding the onboard audio all the time

and the onboard video during critical moments brings us the rest of the way to understanding what happened during the race.

All LL all the time would be what I would watch. Have the onboard or other shots viewer's choice in inset windows. Or vice versa.

This seemed to be what the YouTube/Google and AC34's Huston were proposing, ability of the user to choose what feed they wanted and mix and match.

Thanks for the informative inside view, it really helps in boosting the event with the public, excellent PR for the event. Hope you keep it up.

VE is a good tool for analysis because the camera can be moved anywhere and time can be variable.These elements mixed this way might not

sell to a larger audience so more time for the other cameras is really appropriate in a general program.

If I miss the event or want to see a rerun, VE is almost useless as it impossible to synch with the video. On the video, we have to keep waiting for LL to show up on the screen to see what is really going on.

Perhaps we'll get LL onto a feed full time and perhaps we'll get another heli outfitted with all the gear as we move forward.

Yes! Yes! Sell it to a sponsors "Liveline presented by Apple" to pay for the 24/7 Liveline feed.

Look forward to Plymouth even more because of your info. Thanks again.

We've tried several approaches (offline) to ID'ing boats that don't involve the flags on posts. I will say that I don't like them either. We'll

keep trying to find a better alternative (burgees are interesting, how about drawn on the water next to the boat...) that incorporates

the fundamental concept of drawing seamlessly into the image/world instead of stuff splatted on top.

Noooooo! Keep the national flags!! Crucial to keeping it the America's Cup, the race between nations. Nobody (OK maybe some old YC duffer in white pants and blue blazer doing Judge Smails imitations) is going to get worked up over a yacht club burgee, few will even know what the heck it is. National flags on the other hand, they'll go to war over national flags. And it is what the America's Cup is all about.

Lol!

Hopefully Oysterman will see this when he wakes up his computer in Plymouth in a couple weeks.

So I thought that while things are quiet I'd put up some shots of the poor buggers stuck inside - dedicated to Oysterhead/AT.

If s/he or a mate has time maybe they could clarify some of the roles here, (like LL camera controller). wink.gif

Author: Ricardo Pinto

Description: 10/08/2011 - Cascais (PRT) - 34th America's Cup - AC World Series - Cascais 2011 - TV Compound

Restriction: For Editorial only - All other rights reserved - Photographer's credit mandatory.

RP_CASC2D5_5845.jpg

Description: 10/08/2011 - Cascais (PRT) - 34th America's Cup - AC World Series - Cascais 2011 - TV Compound

Restriction: For Editorial only - All other rights reserved - Photographer's credit mandatory.

RP_CASC2D5_6855.jpg

RP_CASC2D5_5837.jpg

RP_CASC2D5_5891.jpg

RP_CASC2D5_5862.jpg

RP_CASC2D5_5908.jpg